PDA

View Full Version : According to Lance..../Thom Brennaman Hired per 1530

Hoosier Red
09-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Reds announcer news
Saturday 09-30-2006 4:09pm
TB TBA.....Thom Brennaman to be announced.
Despite continued media speculation about other candidates, as I reported several weeks ago, Thom Brennaman will be named to the Reds broadcast booth. I would not be surprised to see the Reds use RedsFest to make a big splash with it.......but it will most likely become public sooner. Also expect a former Reds player to be added to the broadcast team.

I didn't see any sources with this, but he seems to think its written in stone.

WMR
09-30-2006, 08:12 PM
WOW. Hopefully this motivates Marty to bring back his A-game.

Chip R
09-30-2006, 08:15 PM
We will see.

Reds4Life
09-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Again, take anything Lance says with a huge (and I mean mountain size) grain of salt. His "sources" are wrong more than they are right.

harangatang
09-30-2006, 08:34 PM
According to me...Lance is full of it.

WMR
09-30-2006, 08:44 PM
Wow... Does Lance make a habit of stating suppositions as if they are facts?

Reds4Life
09-30-2006, 09:02 PM
Wow... Does Lance make a habit of stating suppositions as if they are facts?

I'll give you an example, non-Reds related, but still one of his "sources".

Lance put out that Tyler Smith, pretty highly rated basketball recruit, was going to sign with UC. This was a little while after Mick Cronin was hired, he claimed Mick was on a plane en route to Smith's home for him to get his LOI.

Guess what? The next day Smith did announce his committment.....................to Iowa. The flight never took place. Then, when people called him on it, he gets all snotty and sends people nasty PM's saying they didn't understand what he was saying, bla bla bla. He does this all the time. Throw things out there, if it happens he'll be the first to say I told you so. If they don't, it's your fault because you didn't understand.

George Foster
09-30-2006, 09:22 PM
If this is true, and I said IF....that makes Marty a lier. I still say if he wanted Steve in the booth next year, he would still be in the booth.

LoganBuck
09-30-2006, 09:26 PM
Tyler Smith is one thing. Recruiting is not an exact science, it is very fluid.

Thom Brennaman is an entirely different matter. That is a pretty big call to screw up.

Reds4Life
09-30-2006, 09:36 PM
Tyler Smith is one thing. Recruiting is not an exact science, it is very fluid.

Thom Brennaman is an entirely different matter. That is a pretty big call to screw up.

It's just one example, there are many others.

LoganBuck
09-30-2006, 09:51 PM
I know, just saying Thom Brennaman is different than a recruit, or what the inner workings of the Bengals say about Odell Thurman, or whether or not so and so will start, or be drafted. Thom is WAY bigger.

Matt700wlw
09-30-2006, 09:52 PM
I hope he's right...I'd hate to see the reaction if he's wrong (internet and show)

Krusty
09-30-2006, 09:53 PM
At least the Reds are going for Type A announcers.

Wouldn't it be a shocker if Pete Rose is the former player coming to the broadcast booth?

Matt700wlw
09-30-2006, 09:54 PM
At least the Reds are going for Type A announcers.

Wouldn't it be a shocker if Pete Rose is the former player coming to the broadcast booth?

Not happening....but that'd be cool.

Pete knows his stuff.....he could also give odds and tips to those who like to bet...:D

traderumor
09-30-2006, 09:56 PM
The last time Marty was asked about it he was not so emphatic. He said some major things would have to be worked out, but he left the door open to the possibility.

Matt700wlw
09-30-2006, 09:57 PM
The last time Marty was asked about it he was not so emphatic. He said some major things would have to be worked out, but he left the door open to the possibility.

Prior to that he flat out emphatically said "NO" when he was asked about it

Hmmmm....

George Foster
09-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Prior to that he flat out emphatically said "NO" when he was asked about it

Hmmmm....

This is not some other broadcaster in another market...it's his son who Marty says he talks to 4 or 5 times a week. This is looking more and more like an inside job from the get-go, if and I say IF this report is true. Did Steve get screwed? Time will tell...

Always Red
10-01-2006, 12:16 AM
Lance is right; this is going to happen.

Caseyfan21
10-01-2006, 12:20 AM
Put yourself in Marty's shoes. If Thom is in fact coming in, he can't publicly say he is. He would have to deny those types of questions. Also, him or Thom could never say anything in public while Thom is still announcing in Arizona or that could definately be taken as tampering. I'm not sure how those types of rules apply to non players though.

Lance seems pretty sure of himself on this one...I would hate to see backlash should he be wrong.

I am also curious about this former player. Logical choices might be Kent Mercker, Paul O'Neill, Lou Pinella? (him and BCast seem buddy-buddy and he has done some TV work), maybe Barry Larkin (seems like a natural at announcing).

I'm just speculating, I don't know anything inside. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

RedFanAlways1966
...if and I say IF this report is true. Did Steve get screwed? Time will tell...

No. That line of work involves a contract. He got everything promised in his contract. I understand where you are coming from... but if Thom Brennaman can join Marty, then it is a move that should be made. I liked Steve's style and I was bummed to hear he was out. However, this is a move that most should understand why the REDS would do it. Both men are "known" in their field. To have them come together is a good PR move and draws interest (and listeners). It will be something that will probably get recognized in the REDS Hall-of-Fame. PR for sure, but also two guys who are respected in the industry. S/b a win-win. Steve will be forgotten after a length of time and his line of work (and replacing a longtime legend) can be unfair sometimes... but he wasn't bad (victim of circumstance?). I hope he finds a good gig elsewhere... he deserves it IMO!

Caseyfan21
Lance is right; this is going to happen.

Any type of source or just speculation?

WVPacman
10-01-2006, 12:23 AM
Now is this for tv or radio?? If its for radio then it will be AWESOME getting to listen to Marty and Thom doing thhe games together.

GAC
10-01-2006, 06:43 AM
Not happening....but that'd be cool.

Pete knows his stuff.....he could also give odds and tips to those who like to bet...:D

And I'll take those odds that MLB will not allow Mr Rose anywhere near that booth. ;)

Always Red
10-01-2006, 07:05 AM
Any type of source or just speculation?

I think my source is the same as Lance's, in fact. Lance was trusted with some info that he should have kept to himself, per my source. The guy I know was very, very upset when McAllister put this out there over a month ago. I can't say who my source is, obviously, but since it's out there (again) I can say that I've heard the same, from a Fox insider. And that Thom will still be working for Fox, as well.

TV/radio? I don't know. I'm sure the Brennaman's would love to work together.

KittyDuran
10-01-2006, 08:10 AM
I think my source is the same as Lance's, in fact. Lance was trusted with some info that he should have kept to himself, per my source. The guy I know was very, very upset when McAllister put this out there over a month ago. I can't say who my source is, obviously, but since it's out there (again) I can say that I've heard the same, from a Fox insider. And that Thom will still be working for Fox, as well.

TV/radio? I don't know. I'm sure the Brennaman's would love to work together.I have a Fox "insider" as well and said Thom would be the replacement about a week after Steve was given the news that he wasn't coming back next year. Then about a few weeks ago he said that Thom was in town looking at houses in IIRC Anderson Township (where Marty lives). What about Thom's wife? My source said that she was OK with it as long as most of the move happened before school started for the kids. But I take a lot with a grain of salt until it happens. Up until now I just mentioned this only to Chip with skeptism.

Always Red
10-01-2006, 10:10 AM
I have a Fox "insider" as well and said Thom would be the replacement about a week after Steve was given the news that he wasn't coming back next year. Then about a few weeks ago he said that Thom was in town looking at houses in IIRC Anderson Township (where Marty lives). What about Thom's wife? My source said that she was OK with it as long as most of the move happened before school started for the kids. But I take a lot with a grain of salt until it happens. Up until now I just mentioned this only to Chip with skeptism.
That's exactly the same thing I heard, Kitty. Maybe we both know the same Fox "insider?";) Apparently Thom's wife has no problem with leaving Arizona.

paintmered
10-01-2006, 10:14 AM
That's exactly the same thing I heard, Kitty. Maybe we both know the same Fox "insider?";) Apparently Thom's wife has no problem with leaving Arizona.

<Conspiracy>

You two are in cahoots and don't want to admit it.

</Conspiracy>

:p:

I really don't have a problem with Thom entering the booth. Maybe between Thom and Marty, we can have at least one broadcaster focus on the game at any given time now.

MartyFan
10-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Again, take anything Lance says with a huge (and I mean mountain size) grain of salt. His "sources" are wrong more than they are right.

Lance = Peter Gammons of Cincinnati.

That said, I'd love to see Thom team up with his dad.

As the player to join the booth? How bout PO?

Chip R
10-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Now didn't Lance say that Homer Bailey would be coming up?

OnBaseMachine
10-01-2006, 12:40 PM

Lance McAllister is a Hall of Famer, and one of, if not the best baseball writers of all-time?

Cedric
10-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Lance McAllister is a Hall of Famer, and one of, if not the best baseball writers of all-time?
Hal is a hall of famer and he get's treated like dirt here.

wheels
10-01-2006, 12:51 PM

As the player to join the booth? How bout PO?.

I would never use Lance's name in the same sentence as Peter Gammons.

Except to say that Lance is a local hack radio guy and Peter Gammons is one of the best Baseball writers of our time.

I'd give more creedence to this rumor if Lance wasn't such a boob.

Matt700wlw
10-01-2006, 12:57 PM
And I'll take those odds that MLB will not allow Mr Rose anywhere near that booth. ;)

Bet on it :p:

redsfan30
10-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Marty has repeatedly expressed his desire not to have a 3 man booth. If this move does happen, could Thom be going to the television booth with the former player going to the radio booth?

Matt700wlw
10-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Marty has repeatedly expressed his desire not to have a 3 man booth. If this move does happen, could Thom be going to the television booth with the former player going to the radio booth?

Rotation would be my guess...

That could mean no more George...

reds44
10-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Rotation would be my guess...

That could mean no more George...
YES!!!!!!

Thank you Jesus!!!!! Praise the Lord!!!!!!

Matt700wlw
10-01-2006, 01:20 PM
YES!!!!!!

Thank you Jesus!!!!! Praise the Lord!!!!!!

:laugh:

I didn't say it WOULD happen.... ;)

pedro
10-01-2006, 01:59 PM

That first part is hogwash. Peter Gammons is a talented writer and Lance is well.... Lance.

I'm OK with Thom coming in though. I think it will pique Marty's interest and maybe make him try a little harder.

O'Neill would be great too. But I doubt he's leaving NY.

WMR
10-01-2006, 02:02 PM

That's the most absurd comparison I've read in a looong time. :laugh:

MartyFan
10-01-2006, 09:08 PM
That's the most absurd comparison I've read in a looong time. :laugh:

Well, lets see here...9 times out of 10 when Gammons says something is going to happen...it doesn't...that was my only link...I think Lance is...well, Lance...I enjoy reading Gammons stuff but when it comes to the rumor mill he is almost never right.

I also like Gammons taste in music.

So, absurd comparison? Maybe...but when talking about rumors they both have the same weight too me.
;)

Sabo Fan
10-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Well, lets see here...9 times out of 10 when Gammons says something is going to happen...it doesn't...that was my only link...I think Lance is...well, Lance...I enjoy reading Gammons stuff but when it comes to the rumor mill he is almost never right.

I also like Gammons taste in music.

So, absurd comparison? Maybe...but when talking about rumors they both have the same weight too me.
;)

Gammons seems to be wrong a good portion of the time, but think about what percentage of discussed deals actually come to fruition and you get a better picture of his actual insight. He reports things that are bantered about in Major League front offices and from what I understand is right on the money about almost everything. The problem is that most of these tidbits never become public or trades fall through and to most fans it seems as though Gammons is way off base, when in reality he's giving them the inside look that most of them crave.

MWM
10-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Gammons rarely, if ever, says something is going to happen. Most of the time, he simply brings up what's being discussed. Hal McCoy isn't even in the same stratosphere as Peter Gammons, very few baseball writers are.

MartyFan
10-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Gammons rarely, if ever, says something is going to happen. Most of the time, he simply brings up what's being discussed. Hal McCoy isn't even in the same stratosphere as Peter Gammons, very few baseball writers are.

I don't know that I've ever read anything by Hal McCoy.

Most everything I read or hear about the Reds is either by listening to the broadcast of the games or by reading FoxSports, RedsZone or the Cincy Post...The Dispatch hardly ever has anything in the paper about them and ESPN is always putting them down so...that's how that works out for me.

remdog
10-02-2006, 08:19 AM

Me too. Send Marty to Phoenix. :p:

Rem

redsfan4445
10-02-2006, 09:19 AM
per Cincinnati's Enquirer today Monday Oct 2nd:

"PITTSBURGH - It looks as if the Reds are about to add the big and familiar to their new broadcast team.

Thom Brennaman could be named as soon as next week to join his father, Marty, in the Reds radio booth.
A source said the Reds had contacted the Arizona Diamondbacks for permission to talk to Brennaman and have talked to him. Marty would not comment Sunday on the possibility of Thom getting the job. Thom could not be reached for comment.
The Reds are not renewing the contract of Steve Stewart, who has partnered with Marty for the last three years. The club has said it wants to add a former player. That could still happen. Likely candidates are former Reds Tom Browning and Jeff Brantley. Brantley currently works for ESPN.
Because Thom Brennaman has heavy commitments to Fox Sports, he would have to miss a significant number of games.

Also on the broadcast front: There’s a possibility that Stewart could return in a television role. He would like to stay in the Cincinnati. FSN is broadcasting 145 games next year, up from 100."

Lance was Right!!

MrCinatit
10-02-2006, 09:36 AM
I had never even considered Stewart announcing for FSN.
Actually, that is a remarkably good idea - I would take him over Grande any day.

Falls City Beer
10-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Wow. The team takes care of the sizzle, but not the steak.

REDREAD
10-02-2006, 09:43 AM
I really don't want to see Steve in the TV booth. He's a nice guy and I wish him well, but it's time to move on.

redsfan30
10-02-2006, 09:50 AM
I don't imagine Stewart would be full time in the TV booth. My guess would George Grande/Steve Stewart/Chris Welch would rotate because there is now 145 games on the TV schedule as many already know.

Reds4Life
10-02-2006, 10:13 AM
I doubt Grande is going anywhere, if Steve replaced anyone in the TV booth it will probably be Chris Welsh.

guttle11
10-02-2006, 10:14 AM
I yearn for the day where I don't have to hear the words "Hi, hello, and welcome..." start out a broadcast almost as much as I yearn to not hear the words "You are looking live...".

Unassisted
10-02-2006, 10:44 AM
I doubt Grande is going anywhere, if Steve replaced anyone in the TV booth it will probably be Chris Welsh.I'm curious why you think this is the case. RedsZone disdain notwithstanding, I've never gotten a sense that George has anything close to the clout, following or paycheck that Marty does. If the new owners want George gone, I don't think there would be much of a fuss.

Reds4Life
10-02-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm curious why you think this is the case. RedsZone disdain notwithstanding, I've never gotten a sense that George has anything close to the clout, following or paycheck that Marty does. If the new owners want George gone, I don't think there would be much of a fuss.

Welsh has been whining about the new 145 game schedule and doesn't want to travel that much.

Heath
10-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Welsh has been whining about the new 145 game schedule and doesn't want to travel that much.

Bummer. My job doesn't pay me that much and I don't travel across the country and make obvious or un-educated remarks about baseball. Good use of whine, Welsh, you dweeb.

KronoRed
10-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Stewart in the TV booth? Sounds great. :)

Joseph
10-02-2006, 07:34 PM

Havent they both been kind of bucking it?

LoganBuck
10-02-2006, 10:11 PM
I can not put into words how happy I would be if Steve replaced George. It would be the polar opposite of puffy's disdain for Castro.

Joseph
10-02-2006, 10:30 PM
I can not put into words how happy I would be if Steve replaced George. It would be the polar opposite of puffy's disdain for Castro.

A man crush?

LoganBuck
10-02-2006, 10:47 PM
A man crush?

Indeed, Indeed.

WVRedsFan
10-03-2006, 12:33 AM
The perfect situation is Steve in the TV booth with someone like Tom Browning. Browning can't do pbp and Steve's low key style fits TV.

Then if you loathe Marty, you can just turn on Steve and if you loathe Steve, you can turn down the sound and listen to Marty and watch the game.

All fixed. Just send George and Chris out to pasture and all is well. No more "Hi and hello," the "smiling side of the scoreboard," "You know his story, and no more incessant talking, no more George and the Creeper. That's the ticket!

RedFanAlways1966
10-03-2006, 08:00 AM
The perfect situation is Steve in the TV booth with someone like Tom Browning. Browning can't do pbp and Steve's low key style fits TV.

Then if you loathe Marty, you can just turn on Steve and if you loathe Steve, you can turn down the sound and listen to Marty and watch the game.

I think that is a good idea. Not sure about Browning, but he may be okay. Just never heard him in that capacity before. Stewart as the main TV announcer is definitely okay by me. Just do it!

Unassisted
10-03-2006, 09:02 AM
I'm not sure I've ever seen what Steve Stewart looks like. Does he have the proverbial "face for radio?"

Blimpie
10-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Can I juthst requestht that we change the way we thpell the name 'Thom' ???

KittyDuran
10-03-2006, 09:53 AM
I'm not sure I've ever seen what Steve Stewart looks like. Does he have the proverbial "face for radio?"

http://badboy.mlblogs.com/./photos/uncategorized/dscn0677.jpg

That's Steve on the right....;)

Heath
10-03-2006, 09:55 AM
dbl post

Heath
10-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Can I juthst requestht that we change the way we thpell the name 'Thom' ???

Thirtainly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/kayaaloha/sylv_sq.jpg

jmcclain19
10-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Here is the report in the Phoenix paper from today, including some quotes from Thom.

Brennaman talks with Reds about job

Nick Piecoro
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 3, 2006 12:00 AM

Thom Brennaman, the voice of the Diamondbacks for all nine of their seasons, appears close to accepting a position with the Cincinnati Reds, where he would join his father, Marty, in the broadcast booth.

Both Brennaman and Diamondbacks President Derrick Hall said a decision has not yet been reached, although a report in Monday's Cincinnati Enquirer said an announcement could be made as soon as next week.

The Reds asked for and were granted permission by the Diamondbacks to speak with him in August.

"It goes without saying there is a tremendous draw to work with your dad," Brennaman said. "And I'm grateful to the Diamondbacks for having at least allowed me the opportunity to explore that becoming a reality."

Marty, who was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2000, has been a Reds announcer since 1974. Thom, who grew up in Cincinnati, spent two years as a Reds announcer in the late 1980s, calling games alongside Johnny Bench.

Other teams have previously contacted the Diamondbacks about Brennaman, who is under contract through 2009, but have always been rebuffed by the club.

"We have always said no in the past; he has always said no in the past," Hall said. "But this is a unique circumstance that involves his father and his hometown and we would not get in the way of family."

Should he depart, Brennaman is expected to do both television and radio work for the Reds.

flyer85
10-03-2006, 01:23 PM
I could live with this arrangement.

Say goodbye to GG. Hire Thom, keep Stewie and also hire an analyst for radio.

I'm sure the details could be worked out of who does what as Thom will miss a number of games due to his Fox commitment.

WMR
10-03-2006, 01:37 PM
PLEASE please please please pleaseee get rid of Grande the boob.

top6
10-03-2006, 01:44 PM
The son of a famous Red goes on to even greater national success than his father, is widely recognized as one of the best in the business, and now decides to come home and work with his father and for the Reds.

There is no way possible that this could turn out badly.

Chip R
10-03-2006, 01:58 PM
The son of a famous Red goes on to even greater national success than his father, is widely recognized as one of the best in the business, and now decides to come home and work with his father and for the Reds.

Sure. What could go wrong? ;)

KronoRed
10-03-2006, 03:43 PM

Can you get hurt in the radio booth? :devil:

top6
10-03-2006, 04:23 PM
Can you get hurt in the radio booth? :devil:I'm sure Griffey could. ;)

remdog
10-03-2006, 04:43 PM

Especially if you like to listen to Marty at his most insuffable best and hear little Thommy chime in with, "you tellem' Dad!" :devil:

Rem

BoydsOfSummer
10-03-2006, 06:36 PM
http://badboy.mlblogs.com/./photos/uncategorized/dscn0677.jpg

I wonder who that guy is that wanted to have his pic taken with Steve.

Chip R
10-03-2006, 07:22 PM
I wonder who that guy is that wanted to have his pic taken with Steve.

Probably some guy who wanted to pick up a few broadcasting pointers. ;)

Unassisted
10-03-2006, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the photo. I'll leave it to the people who are better assessors of what constitutes a good-looking guy to judge him in detail. I will say that it doesn't appear that Steve wouldn't break any TV camera lenses that were pointed his way.

Steve kinda reminds me of Buddy Bell.

Heath
10-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Steve kinda reminds me of Buddy Bell.

I was thinking of Ken Broo.

KittyDuran
10-03-2006, 09:10 PM
I was thinking of Ken Broo.Please don't insult Steve that way....:eek:

George Foster
10-03-2006, 09:45 PM

If I had as many young kids as Welsh, I'd be bucking an extra 25-30 games as well. If you think about it, he's lived out of a hotel room most of his life. I know he chose to do this but he has to make a decision.

alloverjr
10-03-2006, 10:35 PM

All fixed. Just send George and Chris out to pasture and all is well. No more "Hi and hello," the "smiling side of the scoreboard," "You know his story, and no more incessant talking, no more George and the Creeper. That's the ticket!

I actually like the Creeper. Especially towards the end of the season he was a little more blunt when talking about the club and their deficiencies (If he would just drop the "rally killer" thing he'd be perfect). Although, this new found courage could be coming from a man who knows his days are numbered. Hard tellin'.

Has Steve in the TV booth actually been discussed? I mean, outside of these walls?

BTW, I hope Thom comes on board. I remember listening to a D'backs game back in '99 on radio a telling my wife that she was listening to the future broadcaster of the Reds, to which she replied "...zzzz".

Joseph
10-04-2006, 11:58 AM
A four year deal has been signed per 1530.

He will do about 90 games, some radio, some TV [splitting time with Grande]. An additional person will be hired to work radio as well.

redsrule2500
10-04-2006, 12:12 PM
holy crap....some TV? This is really getting strange...

Joseph
10-04-2006, 12:13 PM
The way the radio was calling it, it almost sounded like TV would be more his focus, and he would do to quote "select radio games".

Reds4Life
10-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Sounds like Welch is out to me. Not sure 90 games is worth it, that's not much more than half a season.

REDREAD
10-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Sure. What could go wrong? ;)

Hopefully he doesn't pick up Marty's attitude. That's the thing I could see that could go wrong.

We might have Thom on radio for the rest of my life. I hope he doesn't turn into a Marty Jr.

pedro
10-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Sounds like Welch is out to me. Not sure 90 games is worth it, that's not much more than half a season.

but if he's "splitting time" with george then there is still another announce rin teh booth. that's Chris isn't it?

Reds4Life
10-04-2006, 12:28 PM
but if he's "splitting time" with george then there is still another announce rin teh booth. that's Chris isn't it?

My guess is Welsh will do mostly home games, he didn't like the new travel schedule.

Still, I'm not really impressed with the 90 games a year for Thom. I understand he's got a contract with Fox, but that's hardly half a season. Almost doesn't seem worth it.

REDREAD
10-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Has Steve in the TV booth actually been discussed? I mean, outside of these walls?

I really doubt it. It seems kind of odd that the Reds would tell Steve in August that his contract would not be renewed if they had any interest in him doing TV.

Let's face it, Cast does not like Steve and wanted to upgrade. I think the talk of Steve going to TV is pure wishful thinking by his fans.

flyer85
10-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Wouldn't it be a shocker if Pete Rose is the former player coming to the broadcast booth?seeing as he can't unless his suspension is lifted, it would be a more than a shock.

Red Leader
10-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Who knows, maybe Marty watching Thom do a couple games will inspire him to do a better job going forward.

Red Leader
10-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Personally, I think Thom changing Marty has a greater chance of happening than Marty changing Thom. That's one of the main reasons I think this is a good signing.

flyer85
10-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Who knows, maybe Marty watching Thom do a couple games will inspire him to do a better job going forward.or morph into something other than the curmedgeon he has turned into.

redsfan30
10-04-2006, 01:09 PM
So we're looking at at least one more addition, probably two, correct?

Just as long as Tom Browning is brought in over Jeff Brantley...that's all I care about going forward.

It's going to be neat to hear Thom and Marty call a game together!

Reds Fanatic
10-04-2006, 01:11 PM
A four year deal has been signed per 1530.

He will do about 90 games, some radio, some TV [splitting time with Grande]. An additional person will be hired to work radio as well.
His 90 games will probably basically be the games during the week. Next year Fox starts doing its game of the week every week not just starting in May like they have been. So I would think he would take Friday off to travel to the game he is doing Saturday, he would be off Saturday and maybe Sunday to travel back.

Unassisted
10-04-2006, 01:49 PM
I think the talk of Steve going to TV is pure wishful thinking by his fans.

There's a new opening in Arizona that Steve could be considered for. ;)

Heath
10-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Per the DDN - (AP-Story)

CINCINNATI — Thom Brennaman, play-by-play announcer for the Arizona Diamondbacks for the past nine seasons, will join his dad, Hall of Famer Marty Brennaman, in the Cincinnati Reds' broadcast booth next season.

The Reds said Tuesday that Thom Brennaman, 43, has signed a four-year deal that calls for him to work about 90 games next season with his father on radio, and also do some televised games on FSN Ohio. That arrangement will allow him to continue to work the Saturday Game of the Week for the Fox network.

"This is a dream fulfilled for me," said Marty Brennaman, who has called Reds games since 1974. "I was always a little bit envious of the Bucks and the Carays. Now I get to work with my son. Nothing's better than that."

Jack and Joe Buck worked together doing St. Louis Cardinal games in 1991-2001.

Skip and Chip Caray teamed in Atlanta this season. Skip's father, Harry Caray, was a broadcaster in St. Louis, Oakland and Chicago from 1945 to 1997. All three generations teamed for one game in 1991 when the Braves played the Cubs.

membengal
10-04-2006, 02:29 PM
I think this is great news, I love Thom's work, and have been hoping it would work out this way.

WVRedsFan
10-04-2006, 02:41 PM

Sounds like George Grande is out to me. I haven't heard anything about him "aplitting time" with Grande...

CrackerJack
10-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Please tell me George is gone. That's really all I care about.

Matt700wlw
10-04-2006, 03:48 PM
So we're looking at at least one more addition, probably two, correct?

Just as long as Tom Browning is brought in over Jeff Brantley...that's all I care about going forward.

It's going to be neat to hear Thom and Marty call a game together!

Brantly has the broadcasting experience over Tom Browning...

Joseph
10-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Thom and George are rumored to split time on TV with Chris being there for all 145.

According to Marty earlier.

Chip R
10-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Thom and George are rumored to split time on TV with Chris being there for all 145.

According to Marty earlier.

Man, that doesn't look good for George. Thom does a series and then George does a series and fans are going to be clamoring for all Thom all the time.

westofyou
10-04-2006, 04:32 PM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

Thom will be in the radio booth for "selected" broadcasts alongside his father and also will do television. I would expect Thom to do play-by-play for 45 games on FSN Ohio, though that wasn't specified by the Reds.

I still expect a former player -- perhaps Jeff Brantley -- to be hired for the radio gig, as Thom probably will only do 45-50 games there.

To clarify: When FSN decided to go from 100 to 145 games, Grande and Welsh were still slated to do only 100, which is what both of them wanted. So the Reds will need some other combo in the TV booth for the other 45 games, which is where Thom fits in initially, I would guess. They're still going to need someone else on TV for those 45 games, plus a radio person for about 110-120 games -- probably an ex -player.

KronoRed
10-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Please, no former players, they bring absouloutly nothing to the broadcast.

Red Leader
10-04-2006, 04:51 PM
Keefe Cato, please. :cool:

westofyou
10-04-2006, 04:55 PM

You mean other then having actually stood on the field?

Or do you mean like they never bring the apple juice or beer nuts?

traderumor
10-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Tom Browning? I think Nuxie would seem eloquent in comparison.

registerthis
10-04-2006, 05:11 PM

I think Dante Bichette could make for a great color guy, but his legacy is with the Rockies, not the Reds.

Caveat Emperor
10-04-2006, 06:38 PM
You mean other then having actually stood on the field?

Congratulations to them on accomplishing an incredible feat of athletic prowess -- being one of the select few to wear a major league uniform.

What that has to do with them being able to add something to a radio broadcast and help paint the picture for a fan, I'll never know.

I'm with Krono -- the VAST majority of ex-jock broadcasters add nothing to the booth that anyone with a working knowledge of the sport doesn't already know. The ones who do make genuinely interesting contributions are few and far between.

Doc. Scott
10-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Tom Browning? No, thanks. I've never actually heard a shred of baseball wisdom come out of his mouth, and there isn't much in his book, either. About two weeks into his tenure he'd run out of funny stories about 1986 and that'd be about it.

RANDY IN INDY
10-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Congratulations to them on accomplishing an incredible feat of athletic prowess -- being one of the select few to wear a major league uniform.

What that has to do with them being able to add something to a radio broadcast and help paint the picture for a fan, I'll never know.

I'm with Krono -- the VAST majority of ex-jock broadcasters add nothing to the booth that anyone with a working knowledge of the sport doesn't already know. The ones who do make genuinely interesting contributions are few and far between.

Guess it depends on who's doing the talkin' and who's doing the listenin'.

Matt700wlw
10-04-2006, 07:09 PM
I feel like I'm reading Redszone/Marty sucks threads...

http://mb3.scout.com/farizonadiamondbacksfrm1.showMessageRange?topicID= 1259.topic&start=1&stop=20

MrCinatit
10-04-2006, 07:45 PM

Nuxy, Uecker, Hoyt, Rizzuto, Joe Garagiola, Jerry Coleman, et al, say hello :p:

Cedric
10-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Nuxy, Uecker, Hoyt, Rizzuto, Joe Garagiola, Jerry Coleman, et al, say hello :p:

I love Nuxy and I have a TON of old cassette tapes of Hoyt. He's my favorite and I never even heard him live.

I think Redszone posters just hate jocks :)

westofyou
10-04-2006, 08:56 PM

Then I gather you're listening to the wrong ones. :dunno:

I like a little of everything in a broadcast and somehow Marty's or Vin's lack of playing the game sometimes falls a little short.

With that on your resume and an inkling of a personality and a brain It's a can't miss from where I sit.

I'll take Rex Hudler over Milo Hamilton anyday.

Krusty
10-04-2006, 09:34 PM
It will be nice to see a father and son argument in the broadcast booth.

LINEDRIVER
10-04-2006, 09:35 PM
For me, the next best thing to Brantley getting the job would be Brantley eventually ripping Adam Dunn for walking from the dugout to LF and then trotting to balls over his head. I can't wait to hear it happen.

After Brants gets his feet wet and gets a bit comfortable in his new surroundings, and after watching Dunn slack about the ballfield thru April and mid-May, I expect Brants to cut Dunn to pieces with that deep voice and southern drawl.

I heard Brantley absolutley RIP Sidney Ponson a couple yrs ago so I know he can be a meat grinder. He referred to Ponson as a bad person, a bad teammate, a bad example to his teammates, etc. This was after Ponson signed a big deal with the Orioles and then went out and got into some drunken driving difficulty.

Falls City Beer
10-04-2006, 09:40 PM
For me, the next best thing to Brantley getting the job would be Brantley eventually ripping Adam Dunn for walking from the dugout to LF and then trotting to balls over his head. I can't wait to hear it happen.

After Brants gets his feet wet and gets a bit comfortable in his new surroundings, and after watching Dunn slack about the ballfield thru April and mid-May, I expect Brants to cut Dunn to pieces with that deep voice and southern drawl.

I heard Brantley absolutley RIP Sidney Ponson a couple yrs ago so I know he can be a meat grinder. He referred to Ponson as a bad person, a bad teammate, a bad example to his teammates, etc. This was after Ponson signed a big deal with the Orioles and then went out and got into some drunken driving difficulty.

To me there's nothing worse than listening to former athletes rip into current athletes with impunity and sanctimoniousness.

westofyou
10-04-2006, 10:06 PM
To me there's nothing worse than listening to former athletes rip into current athletes with impunity and sanctimoniousness.

Yep, and you never heard Joe Nuxhall do it, not once, not ever.

Brantley's a toad, I don't want him anywhere near the Reds.

redsfan30
10-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Brantley's a toad, I don't want him anywhere near the Reds.

That's the way I feel. I know he has more experience than Browning, but I'd be pretty upset if Jeff Brantley got the gig. I'm not a fan of his work on ESPN.

reds44
10-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Simply awesome for Marty and Thom. I'm truly happy for both of them.

Keep Brantley away.

LINEDRIVER
10-04-2006, 10:19 PM

There's really not much of it that goes on to begin with. So, who is allowed to rip a player when it really is called for?? Is the play-by-play guy allowed to rip but the former player is not?? Fill me in. I'm curious as to how I should really be thinking.

reds44
10-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Pardon me if this has been disscussed already, but if Thom is only doing about 50 games a year with Marty, was there just no way to keep Stewart here? Was it just not enough money to keep him here?

Couldn't you have found away to have him to pre or post games shows in the 50 games he doesn't do?

I would MUCH rather have Stewart then Brantley.

LINEDRIVER
10-04-2006, 10:27 PM
For those who are dreading the thought of Brantley getting the gig, I thought I'd pass this along.

I heard Marty Brennaman on Bill Cunningham's WLW radio show on Wednesday. Cunningham asked Marty about Brantley or Kent Mercker possibly filling a job opening in the Reds' radio booth. Marty said he thinks Mercker wants to play next year and that you can't pitch and broadcast at the same time. Marty then let fly with, "If Jeff Brantley is the former player they want in the booth, then they couldn't of made a better choice".

That sounds like a ringing endorsement to me. I began to wonder if Brantley was in town very recently to audition or talk with Marty and the Reds.

I've been under the impression that Mercker wanted to retire. Merck was quoted at one point this summer with. "I won't have to worry about the DL next year, unless Muirfield Country Club has a DL."

Then he blew out his elbow and went thru 'Tommy John' elbow surgery. He made a wisecrack or two in the newspaper about getting the elbow fixed so he could swing the golf clubs properly.

I'm thinking that Marty answered the Mercker questioning in that manner because he doesn't really feel Merck is suited for the Reds' radio job. We'll see.

Falls City Beer
10-04-2006, 10:35 PM
So, who is allowed to rip a player when it really is called for??.

The manager.

His teammates.

His wife.

We here at Redszone.

The fans in the stands.

But the announcers? Just shut your hole and call the game.

LINEDRIVER
10-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Oh, I get it.

Ignore the obvious.

Falls City Beer
10-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Oh, I get it.

Ignore the obvious.

I'm just saying. There's a time and place for it. I happen to like making my own judgments without the help of Jeff Brantley.

MWM
10-04-2006, 11:02 PM
Jeff Brantley is the most painful baseball personality to watch or listen to either on TV or the radio. I'd rather listen to John Kruk discuss War and Peace than be forced to listen to Brantley call Reds games.

WVRedsFan
10-05-2006, 12:12 AM
I love Nuxy and I have a TON of old cassette tapes of Hoyt. He's my favorite and I never even heard him live.

I think Redszone posters just hate jocks :)

Wow. Where did you get the tapes? I'd like to purchase a couple for old time's sake.

Cedric
10-05-2006, 12:19 AM
Wow. Where did you get the tapes? I'd like to purchase a couple for old time's sake.

My Uncle has always been crazy about taping and recording anything and everything. He just gave them to me in a box.

They are very cool.

WVRedsFan
10-05-2006, 01:02 AM
My Uncle has always been crazy about taping and recording anything and everything. He just gave them to me in a box.

They are very cool.

Surely, somewhere, there is an outlet for these. If anyone knows a place, please let me know.

Jpup
10-05-2006, 01:26 AM
I'd just like to say welcome to Thom and his family. He is very good at what he does.

As far as Jeff Brantley, heck, it could be worse. Can anyone say Rob Dibble. That guy is a tool.

Ron Madden
10-05-2006, 05:47 AM
Looks like Lance was right all along. ("atta Boy Shotgun) :thumbup:

Not sure where I read or heard it but wasn't Joe Oliver's name mentioned to be on the short list?

Heath
10-05-2006, 07:24 AM
Surely, somewhere, there is an outlet for these. If anyone knows a place, please let me know.

There used to be a guy in Evansville Indiana who used to come on WLW and play these old baseball tapes - and you could buy them via mail.

I want to say John Foley was his name - Furman might remember. I'd email Andy. He usually responds back quickly too. Or have Matt ask him.

EDIT - It was JOHN MILEY - he used to have ads in Baseball Digest and he would have you write for listing of games that he had. He had the "Miley Collection" .

Here's his address -

The Miley Collection, Inc.
441 Scenic Drive
Evansville, Indiana 47715
(812) 479-9143

Cedric, if I was you, and with tape deteriorating over time, I'd see about getting those remastered onto DVD's or something.

registerthis
10-05-2006, 09:51 AM
The manager.

His teammates.

His wife.

We here at Redszone.

The fans in the stands.

But the announcers? Just shut your hole and call the game.

I don't know if I completely buy that. The BT crew--and Brantley in particular--can certainly go over the top, and I've no desire to listen to that. But there are times when a player's effort--or lack thereof--is certainly worth being noted by the announcer. I vividly recall a game a year or two ago where Junior hit what *he* thought was a home run, and stood in the box for a few moments to admire it. Well, the ball ended up hitting the top of the wall, and Junior wasn't able to make it to second, settling for a long single instead. An announcer would absolutely be within their rights to point out (or, "call out") the player for arrogance/lack of effort on the play. There are times when it's so obvious, it's nearly impossible to ignore.

So, general criticisms about being a "bad person" or "bad teammate" I have no desire to hear. But if a player is tanking it on the field, I see no reason why an announcer should not be able to comment on that.

REDREAD
10-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Personally, I think Thom changing Marty has a greater chance of happening than Marty changing Thom. That's one of the main reasons I think this is a good signing.

That's a good point, maybe Thom will revive Marty's interest.
Maybe Marty will regain a sense of professional pride and try harder, since his son is with him. I hope so. It would be nice to get the 80's Marty back, as opposed to the grouch we've had to put up with for the last 7+ years.

REDREAD
10-05-2006, 09:54 AM
Please tell me George is gone. That's really all I care about.

An article on Reds Live said that George is still under contract to do 100 TV games next year.

REDREAD
10-05-2006, 09:59 AM
I feel like I'm reading Redszone/Marty sucks threads...

http://mb3.scout.com/farizonadiamondbacksfrm1.showMessageRange?topicID= 1259.topic&start=1&stop=20

Thanks, that was hillarious. Although I'm scared that they complain that Thom goes off topic too much.

Doc. Scott
10-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Today's press coverage confirms we get 100 games of Edmonds-Grande on the telly in 2007. Crap.

Chip R
10-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Today's press coverage confirms we get 100 games of Edmonds-Grande on the telly in 2007. Crap.

Look on the bright side. It isn't 145.

Doc. Scott
10-06-2006, 02:32 PM
A reminder that there are those out there who don't think Thom is all that great, either.

Disclaimer: I don't have a problem with Thom. Yet.

From Salon's King Kaufman, the best national sports columnist working today:

---
Tough day for Rajah

Thursday must have been Rogers Hornsby's worst day since he was managing the St. Louis Browns. Maybe the worst day he ever had without going to the track. He was dissed, or at least forgotten, on national TV by two different playoff announcers.

The worst insult, and you're going to think I'm overreacting but I think it was just unfathomable, came during Fox's broadcast of Game 2 of the Dodgers-Mets series Thursday night. Announcer Thom Brennaman was rattling off some of Jeff Kent's impressive statistics and he summed it up in that cadence of his: "Arguably the GRRRREATest offensive second baseman in the HISSSSSTory of the game."
I don't mean to insult Kent, who's a fine player, a borderline Hall of Famer if he retired today, but that's one of the most preposterous statements I've ever heard a sports announcer make on national television, and that's saying something.

Saying that Kent is arguably the greatest offensive second baseman in the history of the game is like saying Detroit is arguably the largest city in the United States. It's like saying Echo and the Bunnymen are arguably the biggest-selling band in the hissssstory of Liverpool. Never mind arguable. It's not even close to being anything like approximately true. I'm foaming at the mouth here.

Rogers Hornsby, folks. Rogers H. Christ Hornsby. How can a professional baseball announcer argue that Jeff Kent is a greater offensive player than Rogers Hornsby was? Rogers Hornsby was arguably a better hitter than Henry Aaron. Pretty good argument too. Jeff Kent is arguably a better hitter than Bobby Grich. That's not an insult but it ain't Rogers Hornsby either.

Rogers Hornsby!

I could give you a thousand statistics to prove this point, I really could. But let me just give you one. Adjusted OPS-plus compares a player's OPS (on-base percentage plus slugging percentage) with the league average. It's adjusted to account for ballpark effects. It's a pretty good rough measure of just how good an offensive player someone is.

According to Baseball Reference, Hornsby led the National League in adjusted OPS-plus 12 times. Not just all second basemen, but the whole league. But let's be fair. The first two times he led the league, he was playing shortstop, so as a second baseman he was the best hitter in the league 10 times. Kent has never come close to leading the league in adjusted OPS-plus. He was fifth in the N.L. in 2000, 10th in 2002.

Now, Kent plays in a larger league, so there's more competition. He has spent his career in 14- and, mostly, 16-team leagues, while Hornsby played in eight-team leagues. But, conveniently, there were 16 teams in the majors in Hornsby's day, and he led the majors in adjusted OPS-plus three times. He was also second four times -- behind Babe Ruth each time.

In other words, if not for Babe Ruth, Rogers Hornsby would have been the best hitter in baseball seven times. And he was third in the majors once and fourth twice as a second baseman.

Hornsby played in segregated times. Oscar Charleston, a contemporary Negro Leagues outfielder, may have knocked Hornsby a spot down the list in some of those years had he been in the majors. Still. To review: Kent was never higher than fifth.

Joe Morgan, Eddie Collins and Nap Lajoie were also, I think, inarguably better hitters than Kent. The "argument" for Kent is RBIs. He's knocked in 100 runs or more eight times, which is three more times than Hornsby did it.

But RBIs are dependent on context. Kent has spent his entire career in a supercharged scoring era while Hornsby spent only about 10 of his 14 effective years in such an era. I'm not counting his rookie cup of coffee or the long stretch at the end when he was a player-manager and didn't play much. Hornsby spent his first four full years in the dead-ball age.

But more important, Kent just played more games. Even counting Hornsby's long period of part-time duty, which reached to his age-41 season, he drove in more runs per game played than Kent has.

I'm rambling on. I need to be sedated, I know. I just can't believe that someone like Brennaman, who has been a major league play-by-play radio guy for 17 years and a national TV play-by-play guy for seven, and who grew up around the game since his dad is the longtime Reds announcer, would say such a thing.

He has that annoying way of talking and he doesn't know that you don't judge a player solely on raw RBI totals? Good grief, I need to lie down.

But first, I'll tell you about the earlier, lesser insult to poor Rajah. That one came from Jon Miller, who merely attributed a Hornsby trait to Ruth. Miller, sort of the anti-Brennaman in terms of being knowledgeable, entertaining and pleasant to listen to, was doing the Tigers-Yankees game on ESPN with Morgan, who was a better offensive second baseman than Jeff Kent!

Sorry. Miller told a story about how Ruth always avoided playing the sun field.

So at Yankee Stadium, Miller said, where the afternoon sun's in the left fielder's eyes, he'd play right field and Bob Meusel would play left, but at Fenway Park, where right field is the sun field, Ruth played left and made Meusel play right.

"The Babe thought, 'Well that's going to injure my eyes, I have to stand out there squinting up into the sun all day,'" Miller said.

Babe Ruth in left field? I've never heard of such a thing. I've always heard and read about him as a right fielder. So I looked it up and you know what? Miller was right. Of course he was. Miller's not a guy you should doubt. Ruth played almost as much left field as he did right field throughout his career with the Yankees. It couldn't have just been at Fenway where he played left. Learn something new every day.

Then Miller said, "They say Babe Ruth would not go to the movies either, thought that would not be good for his eyes."

Wait a minute. That one I'm doubting.

That was Hornsby, not Ruth. I felt pretty sure of that, but since I'd also been pretty sure Ruth was a right fielder, I asked Yankees chronicler Steven Goldman, author of the Pinstriped Bible blog, about Miller's whole rap on Ruth protecting his eyes.

"The story about Ruth is correct in its broad outlines," he wrote in an e-mail. "He wouldn't play the sun field. I don't know if it was about protecting his eyes. I got the impression that he just didn't like the difficulty of it and didn't want to be embarrassed."

As for the movies, Goldman agreed that story is always applied to Hornsby, not Ruth, for whom it would have been out of character.

"If Ruth worried about his eyes," Goldman wrote, "that was the only part of his anatomy that he worried about. Well, he did worry about one other part. Towards the end of his career he confided that the thing he hated about being so fat was that he could no longer see his male organs. I paraphrase."

And that's arguably the GRRRREATest paraphrase in the HISSSSSTory of today's column.
---

Crosley68
10-23-2006, 08:39 AM
I was wondering.....Has Frank Robinson done any announcing? I think he may be looking for a gig somewhere.

Falls City Beer
10-23-2006, 08:49 AM
A reminder that there are those out there who don't think Thom is all that great, either.

Disclaimer: I don't have a problem with Thom. Yet.

From Salon's King Kaufman, the best national sports columnist working today:

Rogers Hornsby's better than Aaron? :laugh:

Kaufman likes his one-liners, but he's not particularly good when it comes to throwing stones at the right target. He misses a lot.