PDA

View Full Version : what inning does griffey leave on 10-1

BUTLER REDSFAN
09-30-2006, 11:46 PM
I say he slips out in the 4th inning

jimbo
10-01-2006, 12:10 AM
With all due respect, this is just a dumb start of a thread and only serves as a beginning of another Griffey bash session.

redsupport
10-01-2006, 12:17 AM
thoroughly merited deserved and earned by griffey

BUTLER REDSFAN
10-01-2006, 12:20 AM
thinking maybe some of you are taking this a little too seriously

Unassisted
10-01-2006, 12:22 AM
I think you've painted an unwinnable scenario for Junior here. With the bench jam-packed with reserves and absolutely nothing on the line, there's no reason not to expect Narron to try to get some of the reserves into the lineup for the last game of the season. Why does an early exit have to be Junior's fault?

edabbs44
10-01-2006, 12:38 AM
I think you've painted an unwinnable scenario for Junior here. With the bench jam-packed with reserves and absolutely nothing on the line, there's no reason not to expect Narron to try to get some of the reserves into the lineup for the last game of the season. Why does an early exit have to be Junior's fault?

Because he is part of a team.

But I don't agree with the thread...unless it comes true. Then no holds barred.

TeamBoone
10-01-2006, 10:47 AM
This stems from something that happened several years ago, with the manager's permission I might add.

A perfect example of a grudge that sticks in the craw of some even after several years have passed. I'd hate it if that happened to me... and so would you.

It's history; get over it.

Blimpie
10-01-2006, 12:31 PM
This stems from something that happened several years ago, with the manager's permission I might add.

A perfect example of a grudge that sticks in the craw of some even after several years have passed. I'd hate it if that happened to me... and so would you.

It's history; get over it.If you are referring to Jack McKeon, I didn't recall it that way. My memory isn't always the best, but I thought Larkin and Griffey had "cleared it with the GM" and McKeon was told about it in the dugout during the game.

Am I remembering this wrong?

icehole3
10-01-2006, 12:58 PM
I think I read recently that Jr and Clayton and another player are taking Jr's private jet home to Florida so he would have to take those guys with him even if he left during the game

TeamBoone
10-01-2006, 01:48 PM
If you are referring to Jack McKeon, I didn't recall it that way. My memory isn't always the best, but I thought Larkin and Griffey had "cleared it with the GM" and McKeon was told about it in the dugout during the game.

Am I remembering this wrong?

You may be correct... bottom line, they had permission.

TOBTTReds
10-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Griffey didn't play, and I heard Marty at the end going off on the fact that some players packed it in and didn't want to play today...was he talking about Jr.? Did anyone else hear that?

Thanks.

TeamBoone
10-01-2006, 08:30 PM
I heard it but I don't think he was talking about Jr. He hasn't played in three weeks so I doubt it's that big of a deal.

The only people out of the lineup that are usually in there were Aurilia (though didn't he sprain or twist his wrist a few days ago?) and Hatteberg. I assumed Phillips didn't play last night or today because of his sore finger/thumb... though he DID play right up until they were eliminated.

Anyway, like I said, there weren't many so I took Marty's comment with a grain of salt.

Falls City Beer
10-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Griffey didn't play, and I heard Marty at the end going off on the fact that some players packed it in and didn't want to play today...was he talking about Jr.? Did anyone else hear that?

Thanks.

Wow. If true, the culture appears not to have changed all that much under the Krivsky/Narron junta.

vaticanplum
10-01-2006, 10:08 PM

I did, but if I recall correctly this is not exactly what he said. He said it was nice of players to come out and play at this last game when they don't have to, and he specifically mentioned Dunn. I don't remember him alluding to certain players on the team choosing NOT to play.

Either way I don't think it's applicable to Griffey -- he's been hurt and hasn't been playing anyway. It would have been foolish and pointless to trot him out there all of a sudden.

George Foster
10-01-2006, 10:18 PM
This game meant a hell of a lot. If we could have won we would not have had a losing season...again. For this organization and the Reds fans, Jerry should have started his best 8. However, Jerry had a hard time all season starting the best 8. This game was no different. A sad ending to a sad year.

TeamBoone
10-02-2006, 01:25 AM
A sad ending to a sad year.

I totally agree with the sad ending... it would have been nice to finish at .500,
but how on earth can you possibly think this was a sad year?

Could it have been better... of course. Could it have been worse... oh yeah, a whole lot worse.

I, for one, am pleased with the year our Reds had. They were in the hunt until the day before the season ended and gave me a whole lot of enjoyment (and hope, something that I haven't had in a long long time).

I think this was a sad thing to say.

jimbo
10-02-2006, 01:27 AM
This game meant a hell of a lot. If we could have won we would not have had a losing season...again. For this organization and the Reds fans, Jerry should have started his best 8. However, Jerry had a hard time all season starting the best 8. This game was no different. A sad ending to a sad year.

I just don't agree. A win today would not have changed my viewpoints on the season or this team at all. Two games under or a .500 record are just numbers at this point.

RedFanAlways1966
10-02-2006, 07:56 AM
I just don't agree. A win today would not have changed my viewpoints on the season or this team at all. Two games under or a .500 record are just numbers at this point.

Exactly. You do not play like it is the 7th game of the World Series in game 162 if you are eliminated or you are already in the playoffs. .500 or not .500 might be important to some and that is understandable. However, I do not think the FO or manager/coaches care as much about that.

I heard it but I don't think he was talking about Jr. He hasn't played in three weeks so I doubt it's that big of a deal. Anyway, like I said, there weren't many so I took Marty's comment with a grain of salt.

Common sense talking! Junior has not started for weeks. No big deal.