PDA

View Full Version : Hockey Season Starting

deltachi8
10-01-2006, 02:01 AM
Went to the Sabres pre-season game tonight and over 18000 were there. Seeing how into it everyone was tonight, I can't wait for the home opener next week.

How many NHL fans out there?

GIK
10-01-2006, 09:19 AM
The strike showed me that I can live without it. I'll probably watch a few Wings games, but probably not much until the postseason.

NJReds
10-01-2006, 10:27 AM
I'm hoping for a Stanley Cup this year...

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/TRND/SP-9616~San-Jose-Sharks-Mask-Posters.jpg

reds1869
10-01-2006, 12:46 PM
I'm a diehard Blue Jackets fan. CBJ will contend for a playoff spot this year, but I'm not sure they'll make it.

I followed the Sabres when I lived in Cleveland because we got the Buffalo sports station. So I'll always have a bit of a soft spot for them as well.

Cedric
10-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Canucks fan here. Something about Bure in his younger days made me a fan of hockey.

I bet in todays game Bure would score 75 goals a year.

westofyou
10-01-2006, 12:54 PM
As soon as baseball ends my wife gets happy and then says... "When does Hockey start?"

It's always a brief moment of joy.

That's my second sport that I follow, albeit with a different approach then I follow baseball, but I watch tons of hockey throughout the year.

I'm a Red Wing fan, old enough to remember Alex Delvecchio and the year Mickey Redmond scored 50 goals, this is the first year without Yzerman since MTV entered its second year of existance... it's going to be an odd year (the goalie situation is a house of cards)

westofyou
10-01-2006, 12:55 PM
I bet in todays game Bure would score 75 goals a year.

If he just sat at the top of the blue line and played offense only like he was prone to doing he sure would.

captainmorgan07
10-01-2006, 04:01 PM
im not really a big hockey fan but i follow the penguins when there on wish luck to crosby and the team

WMR
10-01-2006, 04:06 PM
I was a Blackhawks fan back in the day when they had Roenick, Amonte, Joe Murphy, Chelios, Belfour...

not really into it anymore.

Cedric
10-01-2006, 04:29 PM
If he just sat at the top of the blue line and played offense only like he was prone to doing he sure would.

He made the game fun for a young chap like me. I loved it.

westofyou
10-01-2006, 04:31 PM
He made the game fun for a young chap like me. I loved it.

The guy was fast... fast as they could be. The Gretsky era wa steh same way, just an unbeliveable highlight reel of scoring from all over the league.

Damn the trap.

deltachi8
10-01-2006, 06:19 PM
Damn the trap.

I could not agree more. Spped and creativity are back in the game.

HBP
10-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Predators fan here. Hoping they can end the Red Wings dominance this year.

Nothing can beat a good ol' fashioned day at the ballpark, but all things considered, hockey games are by far my favorite sporting events to attend.

Sean_CaseyRules
10-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Let's Go Jackets *clap clap clapclapclap*

Die hard Jackets fan here baby!!!

Dom Heffner
10-02-2006, 10:34 AM
Hockey season starting? It never ended!

These guys- as well as the NBA- need to take a longer break. Like two years or something. :)

Red Leader
10-02-2006, 11:10 AM
I always liked watching hockey on TV.

I really started to get interested in it about 3-4 years ago. I was a big Colorado Avalanche fan. Sakic, Forsberg, Hejduk and Roy. Loved them. Now that Forsberg and Roy are gone, it's not the same. I don't have a favorite team anymore. I like individual players on each team. Probably a big reason for that is because I play fantasy hockey and follow individual players on my team throughout those seasons.

My favorite players now are: Ovechkin (WAS); Kovalchuk (ATL); Heatley (OTT); Zetterberg (DET); and Crosby (PIT).

NYMoose
10-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Go Habs Go!!!

westofyou
10-02-2006, 01:01 PM
One thing about Hockey that I find every similar with baseball is the goalie/pitcher relationship.

If anything the importance of a goalie is similar to the importance of a pitcher in 19th century baseball was to a baseball team. Both log incredible amounts of time in a season, a pitcher throws a pitch and is in movement every play he is on the field. The goalie might just stand for long buckets of time but unlike his teamates he doesn't get to get breathers on the bench during the period.

Both are so important to the makeup of the team, both control the tempo, both are fraught with little mechanical problems that cause breakdown of their game, both are the key player in allowing the other team to tally scores, both are non-players in the sense that they are seperated by what they do with the rest of the team. Both have long linages of nervous, aggressive and neurotic heros. Both foster continuity for the elite performers at their position, guys that play past the age of the other types of players who play the game (IE 40 year old goalies are to 40 Center Men what 40 Year old pitchers are to 40 year old CF's) Both get yanked when they perform poorly and both often have moments in the cameras view.

Anyway... game on.

Red Leader
10-02-2006, 01:14 PM
They are both also similar in that only the elite pitchers / goalies perform well year in and year out. The "flukes" are exposed after their "career years". Also "W's" in hockey are just as team dependant for goalies as they are for pitchers.

Joseph
10-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Big Blackhawks fan here. I got into them back about 15 years ago when in high school. I was a Reds fan and Bengals fan [both Cincy] and a Bulls and a Blackhawks fan [both Chicago]. Somehow I hate Chicago the city and love the 'nati.

Still root for those teams though.

OldRightHander
10-02-2006, 07:37 PM
I've been a Blues fan since the early 80s. Prospects aren't looking as bright this year, but one can always hope.

Rychian
10-03-2006, 07:06 PM
I play in a senior league out at Kent State. I am a big ole Minnesota Wild fan and Calgary Flames. So im hoping for some cup action this year for my wild.

Tom

1Wildcat1
10-03-2006, 08:01 PM
My Predators are looking like they have a real shot at the cup this year. I can't wait for the season to start.

BuckeyeRedleg
10-04-2006, 12:19 AM
C B J

Going all the way.

westofyou
10-05-2006, 10:55 AM
Game On - If you didn't catch it last night, the season started.

The Hurricanes and Sabres were on VS. (OLN) and then the Aves and Stars, (Sens/Leafs on the dish)

I caught most of the 1st and some of the 3rd.

I like the Sabres new uniforms, also in a new development look for more defensive minded forwards to play the point during OT, the shootout has led to teams trying their best to avoid the shoot out and going completly offensive on the 4-4 situation in OT.

registerthis
10-05-2006, 05:23 PM
I didn't become a serious hockey fan until about a decade ago, when I wasn't really following any particular team but was developing an appreciation for the game. Attended a number of Chill and Buckeye games, since they were the local yokels. By the time the jackets began play, hockey had entrenched itself as my second favorite sport--behind baseball, of course. I enjoy the ebb and flow of the game so much, it's one of those sports that I can watch regardless of who is playing, so long as they are playing well. I remember Bruce Gardiner scoring the first goal in CBJ history, and screaming myself hoarse as the Jackets took a 3-0 lead over the Blackhawks, only to lose 5-3 eventually.

I've since moved on from Columbus, but the Jackets are still my team. I live within walking distance of the MCI Center here in DC, so I finally broke down and got a partial season ticket package to see the Caps this year, although it's mainly to watch Ovechkin and whoever the Caps are playing. Great sport, even better viewed live. Great to see it back.

Patrick Bateman
10-05-2006, 06:36 PM
I like the Sabres new uniforms

Really? I think they are as ugly as Don Mossi.

And everyone can stop watching hockey since the Blackhawks are obviously the best team in the league after their dominant pre-season showing.

westofyou
10-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Really? I think they are as ugly as Don Mossi.

Nah.... the WHA uniforms were as ugly as Don Mossi. The Sabres are somewhat simple, small logo... clean white...now if you hate the logo I can't help ya... But Don Mossi?

http://dmbatl.tripod.com/players/don-mossi.png

Maybe Boom Boom Geoffrion

http://genealogie.planete.qc.ca/images/travaille/sylvain/geoffrion_bernard_1955.jpg

WMR
10-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Watching Philly vs. Pitt on HD Net.

If you're going to watch a hockey game, HD is definitely the way to go! Makes the experience much more palatable.

Patrick Bateman
10-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Nah.... the WHA uniforms were as ugly as Don Mossi. The Sabres are somewhat simple, small logo... clean white...now if you hate the logo I can't help ya... But Don Mossi?

Ya, maybe I went over the line a little with Mossi, but the slug uniforms are absolutely brutal. I liked their 2 previous uniforms much better.

WMR
10-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Baumgartner and Armstrong just had a good fight.

My favorite part of hockey!

westofyou
10-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Ya, maybe I went over the line a little with Mossi, but the slug uniforms are absolutely brutal. I liked their 2 previous uniforms much better.

Slug?

This is a Slug

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/cruz/05.29.02/gifs/nuz-0222.gif

Well that and the Detroit power play tonight.

westofyou
10-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Baumgartner and Armstrong just had a good fight.

My favorite part of hockey!
I like forechecks and goaltending.

WMR
10-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Damn high-brow Red Wings fans! ;)

M2
10-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Slug?

This is a Slug

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/cruz/05.29.02/gifs/nuz-0222.gif

Well that and the Detroit power play tonight.

They could probably use that Brendan Shanahan guy.

westofyou
10-06-2006, 10:44 AM
They could probably use that Brendan Shanahan guy.

Ya know, I pondered that... I'm not so sure they'll miss his game as much as they'll miss him. Especially if Hudler and Williams come on strong.

The Wings are going a tad younger, and a tad more defensive centered, 0-8 on PP last night, I don't see that happening too much.

That said Hasek alwasy makes me nervous.. you enjoy Shanny in MSG, he's almost done, he is a class act though.

reds1869
10-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Tough one for the CBJ tonight. I liked what I saw, though--they took a very good Vancouver team to an overtime. Pascal is going to be very solid in net, I think.

HumnHilghtFreel
10-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Tough one for the CBJ tonight. I liked what I saw, though--they took a very good Vancouver team to an overtime. Pascal is going to be very solid in net, I think.

Man, talk about a buzzkill, I didn't know they lost till just now lol. I had to stop watching after the 2nd period to go pick up my sister and I just assumed they closed it out.

Oh well

deltachi8
10-06-2006, 11:27 PM
Just home from the Buffalo home opener. 5-4 sabres win in a shootout, coming back from a 4-2 hold, scoring with the goalie on the bench with 14 seconds left for the tie.

Building was electric, my voice is very scratchy right now, and its all worth it.

So glad it's hockey season.