PDA

View Full Version : Running Wild: High School RB Has 658 Yds/Game

GAC
10-01-2006, 07:46 AM
W.Va. HS back 658 yards, but likely didn't set record

DELBARTON, W.Va. -- Paul McCoy ran for 658 yards in a high school football game and, believe it or not, might not have set a national record with his feat.

The total tops the National Federation of State High School Association's listed record of 619 yards set by Ronney Jenkins of Oxnard, Calif., in 1995. But high school records historian Doug Huff said Saturday the recognized record is 739 yards by John Giannantonio of Netcong, N.J., in 1950, against Mountain Lakes.

McCoy piled up his yardage on just 29 carries -- an average of 22.7 yards per attempt -- and scored 10 touchdowns as Matewan beat Burch 64-0 on Friday. McCoy racked up 477 of his yards scoring on TD runs of runs, which covered 69, 1, 52, 56, 52, 20, 31, 84, 87 and 25 yards.

He also had a 77-yard TD run called back because of a penalty.

"The National Federation book for some reason does not include that [the 739 yards], and I think the reason is there's a formal process for submitting those things," Huff said Saturday. "This school doesn't exist anymore. The papers recognized it. The school had a special ceremony. It's been in my records for years."

McCoy did set a state record with his 658 yards, and his 10 TDs would tie him with two others for the second most nationally. The record is 12, set by Ken Pearson of Hugo, Colo., in 1930.

McCoy, averaging 345 yards per game, has 1,723 yards and 26 touchdowns this season.

RedsBaron
10-01-2006, 08:47 AM
Matewan coach Yogi Kinder defended his decision to keep McCoy in the game. According to Huntington, WV's "The Herald-Dispatch," Kinder said: "Why should there be any guilty feelings? Our school's smaller than they are. Why should I punish my kids for having a good team? We were going to score 60 points if Paul doesn't even get on the bus."
McCoy deserves credit for a remarkable game, but his game totals were obviously "padded" by keeping him in the game long after the issue was decided.

GAC
10-01-2006, 09:32 AM
So.... a coach named Yogi, who says he didn't commit a Boo-Boo by keeping the kid in there.

Is this kid then the "Real" McCoy? :lol:

cincinnati chili
10-01-2006, 09:44 AM
So now I know two things about the town of Matewan. 1. They kill union organizers. 2. They run up the score. :)

RFS62
10-01-2006, 10:07 AM
So now I know two things about the town of Matewan. 1. They kill union organizers. 2. They run up the score. :)

Here's a third. I graduated from Matewan High School, and played football with Yogi Kinder.

People who knew him back in the day wouldn't be surprised with any character issues that might come up. Since this is a public forum, I won't go into any details, but he's a scumbag of the highest order.

And the Matewan Massacre, subject of John Sayles' great film "Matewan", was about the mine operators bringing in Baldwin-Felts enforcers to rub out the union organizers. The locals are as pro-union as any place on earth.

captainmorgan07
10-01-2006, 11:55 AM
they failed to mentin the team they played had 14 kids

RedsBaron
10-01-2006, 02:30 PM
And the Matewan Massacre, subject of John Sayles' great film "Matewan", was about the mine operators bringing in Baldwin-Felts enforcers to rub out the union organizers. The locals are as pro-union as any place on earth.

Yep. I wouldn't advise anyone going to Matewan and making negative comments about the United Mine Workers union.
I graduated from Wayne High. We never played Matewan, but we used to easily defeat Burch in football. We haven't played the Burch Bulldogs in years, so I assume the high school now has a very small enrollment.

Matt700wlw
10-01-2006, 02:32 PM
:wave:

Defense!

WMR
10-01-2006, 03:22 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Al Bundy had that many yards in one game.

http://www.albundy.net/episodes/season_9/10/a140024_thumb.jpg

RedsBaron
10-01-2006, 10:15 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Al Bundy had that many yards in one game.

http://www.albundy.net/episodes/season_9/10/a140024_thumb.jpg

I know Al Bundy; Al Bundy is a friend of mine; that kid from Matewan is no Al Bundy.;)

cincinnati chili
10-02-2006, 01:23 AM
Here's a third. I graduated from Matewan High School, and played football with Yogi Kinder.

People who knew him back in the day wouldn't be surprised with any character issues that might come up. Since this is a public forum, I won't go into any details, but he's a scumbag of the highest order.

I saw Matewan, but misspoke. I probably should have said "union organizers get killed there" rather than "THEY kill union organizers." My bad.

flyer85
10-02-2006, 01:11 PM
I saw Matewan, but misspoke. I probably should have said "union organizers get killed there" rather than "THEY kill union organizers." My bad.IIRC, it was the Baldwin-Felts crew(not the locals) that came out on the short end of the stick.

max venable
10-02-2006, 01:18 PM
[b] McCoy racked up 477 of his yards scoring on TD runs of runs, which covered 69, 1, 52, 56, 52, 20, 31, 84, 87 and 25 yards.

Dang! That one-yard TD run killed his average.

MaineRed
10-02-2006, 01:21 PM
Lou Tilley, Comcast-Philly studio man, anchored SNY's Saturday "SportsNite." As his kicker, he pointed to a Matewan HS (W.Va.) kid who Friday rushed for 658 yards and 10 TDs in a 64-0 win. Tilley thought that was great!

Of course, his kid didn't play for Burch, the other team. And his kid wasn't a backup RB who practiced all week only to watch a teammate score 10 TDs.

And Tilley didn't tell us that the kid who was allowed to score 10 TDs was also allowed to go the whole way, scoring two late TDs in a 64-0 win for Matewan, now 5-0. Or that the same kid, two weeks ago, scored six TDs and three two-point conversions in a 66-16 game. Or that Burch, now 0-5, has been outscored 30-263.

Yesterday on "SportsCenter," where unqualified stats are always welcome, anchors Josh Elliott and Chris McKendry were equally delighted by the kid's numbers. "We're impressed," cooed McKendry.

The National High School Record Book, loaded with kick-em-when-they're-down achievements, should also identify those media folks who indulge, excuse and even applaud - thus help fuel - the abuse of sports and the children who play them.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/sports.htm

westofyou
10-02-2006, 01:26 PM
And his kid wasn't a backup RB who practiced all week only to watch a teammate score 10 TDs.

That's BS, and I from what I've read about football for 6-8 years olds that is where it gestates.

RedFanAlways1966
10-02-2006, 02:10 PM
When I first heard of this I was not impressed. I was disgusted. If the game was a close one or even w/in 20-points, I'd be impressed. The final score made it even more disgusting. The coach is obviously a scumbag and thanks to '62 for pointing it out from knowing the scumbag. The caoch should be proud of himself and kick an injured animal after it got hit by a car.

Since we are all "baseball types" I put this as an equivalent to stealing 2nd-base when ahead by 20 runs. Not ahead by 7 runs or even 10 runs. Ahead by 20 runs. The coach is a loser who should not be allowed to teach his (lack of) morals or ethics to the youth of his community. Although I am sure there are a lot of parents in his area of the world who think he is great (b/c of their undefeated record)... and that is sad too.

:thumbdown

Danny Serafini
10-02-2006, 02:22 PM
That NY Post bit is about as whiny a piece of crap as could possibly be written. This isn't some coach throwing bombs with 2 minutes left and running up the score. It's handing the ball off at the team's own 40 and some kid breaking it a few times. Here's a tip, if you don't want to give up 60 points, try making a tackle on occasion.

MaineRed
10-02-2006, 02:43 PM
You sound like the Fabulous Sports Babe.

Hopefully don't look like her.

It was a 60 point game and your suggestion is that team down by 60 should tackle better? Thanks Doctor Football.

Obvioulsy the kid who has scored 16 TDs in two games is pretty good. He shouldn't be in the game, I think that is the point. If the other team can't tackle, let some kid who has no chance to gain a yard against another team, score a TD.

Hopefully he'll blow out his knee the next time the coach wants to run it up and we'll see what your advice is then. Maybe you'll suggest better off season training or some other insensitive remark.

And why would you be throwing bombs when your back can go the distance? Its running it up, either way. Otherwise your saying teams with strong run games don't have the ability to lay off some, by say, going with some back-ups for instance. I don't see how a lack of hail marry's is anything to write home about. 64-0 is 64-0, passing or running. And it is quite clear when the same kid has 16 TDs in two games that SOMETHING could have been done.

flyer85
10-02-2006, 02:50 PM
I would hope the losing team would use the butt-kicking as incentive to get better. If not, then real life will likely get to teach them the lesson at a later date. It's a very competitive business world out there where your opponents will take every opportunity to not just win, but bury you.

There are high school kids not little children. I remember being on the losing end of some serious spankings and wallowing in self-pity because the opponent ran up the score will result in nothing productive.

Danny Serafini
10-02-2006, 03:12 PM
You sound like the Fabulous Sports Babe.

Hopefully don't look like her.

It was a 60 point game and your suggestion is that team down by 60 should tackle better? Thanks Doctor Football.

Obvioulsy the kid who has scored 16 TDs in two games is pretty good. He shouldn't be in the game, I think that is the point. If the other team can't tackle, let some kid who has no chance to gain a yard against another team, score a TD.

Hopefully he'll blow out his knee the next time the coach wants to run it up and we'll see what your advice is then. Maybe you'll suggest better off season training or some other insensitive remark.

And why would you be throwing bombs when your back can go the distance? Its running it up, either way. Otherwise your saying teams with strong run games don't have the ability to lay off some, by say, going with some back-ups for instance. I don't see how a lack of hail marry's is anything to write home about. 64-0 is 64-0, passing or running. And it is quite clear when the same kid has 16 TDs in two games that SOMETHING could have been done.

1. I have no clue who the Fabulous Sports Babe is (though something tells me I don't want to).

2. You've got a kid sitting on something like 500 yards. I doubt the coach knows the exact national record total off the top of his head, but common sense tells you you've got to be close. Why not allow him to do something special? He'll likely never have a game like that again, so let him go for it. It would be easier to pull him from a game where he had 300 yards late than 500, odd as that sounds. 300 is great, but it's nowhere near a record. At 500, you've got to see what you can do.

3. How is letting some backup score a couple of TDs any better? 64-0 is 64-0. It's not as much of a run up because the TDs were scored by different players? Or would you prefer the coach to kneel on the ball the entire 4th quarter and totally insult the other team?

4. Did you really just root for a high school kid to get hurt? You stay classy, pal. :rolleyes:

TeamSelig
10-02-2006, 03:15 PM
Running the ball runs the clock out. Not really his fault that the kid scores a TD on every carry (pretty much)

I'm not interested in running the score up as much as I'm interested in how good this guy might be. Next Reggie Bush?

RedFanAlways1966
10-02-2006, 03:31 PM
You can also run out the clock with a 3rd-stringer or by having your nose tackle become the new running back. I think it is obvious what the coach was doing. Teaching humility takes a bigger man than teaching how to win a national record. Obviously their coach is not a bigger man.

Maybe Reggie Bush had the same sort of HS coach? Maybe this is why Reggie and his family took suits, free hotel tabs and condos while Reggie was in college?

Right way, wrong way... they teach all kinds of things.

flyer85
10-02-2006, 03:45 PM
I have found that it is life experiences that make one humble(like being on the losing end of the score) and not by having a coach call off the dogs(although it is likely the reason a coach does it). That tends to cater to a false humulity in the players. True humulity is only developed by spending time on both sides of the fence and then extending compassion to those on the short side.

RFS62
10-02-2006, 03:53 PM

Roy Tucker
10-02-2006, 05:11 PM
I can't fathom a valid reason for a 1st string kid to be in playing in the 4th quarter of 64-0 high school game. Zip, nil, nada.

If the score gets run up because a 3rd or 4th stringer runs one up the gut for a TD, then so be it.

In games like that, you empty the bench and let the kids play who normally don't get to play. You'll strengthen your team by developing some real PT depth, you'll save your 1st stringers from possible unnecessary injury, you'll give some kids some good memories, and it will be the best thing overall for the team. And oh yeah, it's good sportsmanship. Once a team is completely buried, I can't think of any good that comes out of rubbing their noses in it further. Enough is enough.

I don't understand how letting this kid run wild can be defended.

MaineRed
10-02-2006, 05:32 PM
I have found that it is life experiences that make one humble(like being on the losing end of the score) and not by having a coach call off the dogs(although it is likely the reason a coach does it). That tends to cater to a false humulity in the players.

They call off the dogs in D1 college football and they call off the dogs in the pros. How can anyone justify NOT calling them off in high school when one team is obviously overmatched.

Do you honestly think anyone walked away from that game feeling as though the losing team learned some valuable lesson? Other than the lesson RFS62 is giving us, that is?

The same kid scored 10 freaking touchdowns. Save the excuse that it isn't the coaches fault he scored every time for someone who might buy it.

How about when it is 43-0 with a quarter to play, you give the ball to someone else?

That is what Jim Tressell, Marvin Lewis, Romeo Crennel, Kirk Ferentz, Bill Parcells, Vince Lombardi and 99.9% of every other football coach in the world would do.

flyer85
10-02-2006, 06:18 PM
T They call off the dogs in D1 college football and they call off the dogs in the prosyou obviously have not seen Texas Tech. I remember when Sam Wyche intentionally ran up the score on Glanvilles Oilers in the 80's. The Bengals kept trying to score until the final whistle and won by like 63-7 IIRC. Sam had even announced he would do it given the chance before the game.

I am not defending the coach for running up the score. I wouldn't do it but if he wants to that's his business. Running up the score is generally not a classy move but it happens and it generally reflects poorly on the offending coach.

bomarl1969
10-03-2006, 01:38 AM
You can also run out the clock with a 3rd-stringer or by having your nose tackle become the new running back. I think it is obvious what the coach was doing. Teaching humility takes a bigger man than teaching how to win a national record. Obviously their coach is not a bigger man.

What all of you are saying is total bull----

Hey war is war and football is football and to qoute General William Tecumseh Sherman is "not popularity seeking."

A coach doesn't run up a score, that is the kind of thing a sore loser or a wuss would say. I agree with the one post about tackling people if you don't want to give up that many points. I know many people from the Matewan area and screw all of you that think the coaching staff is scum. That kid deserves the attention he got from ESPN.

The game is played for x number of minutes and you give it your all no matter what. Screw this good image bull, maybe if the Reds hadn't been so concerned with fatsoes like Sean Casey they would have had better success in the past few years. You think Pete Rose cared about a good guy image?

TeamSelig
10-03-2006, 01:42 AM
I didn't realize the kid was 5'7 160 lbs...

WVPacman
10-03-2006, 01:51 AM
Running the ball runs the clock out. Not really his fault that the kid scores a TD on every carry (pretty much)

I'm not interested in running the score up as much as I'm interested in how good this guy might be. Next Reggie Bush?

I hav'nt watched the kid play but I get the newspapper that covers this team.The kid can FLATOUT play.All of his games so far he has run over 150 yards to 200 except for one I think.He is simply amazing!!!!

As far as the coach goes I don't know him personally but I have heard the Burch coach talk and it was'nt good.Everytime he opened his mouth last year he was saying how bad his team was going to beat their opponent or Our opponent might as well stay home b/c they can't beat us.The last one was were he said that Lincoln county teams an't good enough to beat us and we will give them all loss's.This was all said in a paper were people could read it!! They lost ALL FOUR games last year to the four lincoln county teams lol.

WVPacman
10-03-2006, 01:55 AM

I hav'nt watched the kid play but I get the newspapper that covers this team.The kid can FLATOUT play.All of his games so far he has run over 150 yards to 200 except for one I think.He is simply amazing!!!!

As far as the coach goes I don't know him personally but I have heard the Burch coach talk and it was'nt good.Everytime he opened his mouth last year he was saying how bad his team was going to beat their opponent or Our opponent might as well stay home b/c they can't beat us.The last one was were he said that Lincoln county teams an't good enough to beat us and we will give them all loss's.This was all said in a paper were people could read it!! They lost ALL FOUR games last year to the four lincoln county teams lol.

About the Matewan/Burch game I feel very bad for the kids of Burch b/c they did'nt deserve this.I don't know for sure but I have a feeling Burchs coach either had a smart remart torwards Matewan OR Matewan,coach was tired of his mouth and sent him a message.

RedFanAlways1966
10-03-2006, 08:34 AM

Hey war is war and football is football and to qoute General William Tecumseh Sherman is "not popularity seeking."

A coach doesn't run up a score, that is the kind of thing a sore loser or a wuss would say.

Nothing needs to be said. Just read the above and try to rationalize this sort of thinking. A GAME... not war. But why try to explain this fact to someone with the above-mentality?!?! Waste of time.

GAC
10-03-2006, 09:06 AM

A coach doesn't run up a score, that is the kind of thing a sore loser or a wuss would say. I agree with the one post about tackling people if you don't want to give up that many points. I know many people from the Matewan area and screw all of you that think the coaching staff is scum. That kid deserves the attention he got from ESPN.

The game is played for x number of minutes and you give it your all no matter what. Screw this good image bull, maybe if the Reds hadn't been so concerned with fatsoes like Sean Casey they would have had better success in the past few years. You think Pete Rose cared about a good guy image?

Is that you coach? :lol:

RFS62
10-03-2006, 09:12 AM
Is that you coach? :lol:

Not a chance. Too many multisyllabic words.

RedsBaron
10-04-2006, 07:47 AM
BTW, Matewan has yet to lose a game on the field this season, but their record is officially 3-2, as two games have been forfeited for using an ineligible player.

TRF
10-04-2006, 10:38 AM
My daughter is a cheerleader for a 5A school here in Texas. Last week they faced a 4A school in town and beat them 51-6.

Late in the third quarter, it was 51-0, and it became obvious the team my daughter cheers for eased off. a lot. They were predicted to win district at the beginning of the year, and are living up to that, with their only loss coming against Friday Night Lights powerhouse Odessa Permian.

The coach at Tascosa High School preaches honor on the field. By the end of the third quarter, the third string QB was in the game. All the starters were being rested, everyone got to play. My son is on the freshman squad, and I was concerned that he wasn't playing enough. He is behind the other boys as he didn't play in middle school. Last week he got to play more due to the fact that he has been practicing harder, asking more questions about the game. They trusted him enough to put him in on defense for a goal line stand. Tascosa was up by 8. My boy forced a fumble that a teammate recovered.

And now he knows that his actions on the field during practice and during a game determine a little of his playing time, but he also realizes that the coaches will do all they can to accomplish two goals: win the game, and play every kid.

This lesson is not employed by the coach in the article. There was no honor in beating on a weaker school. The comparison to the Bengals/Oilers falls short. Those are paid professionals. These are kids learning to be adults. And the teaching of how to be one comes from more than just lessons taught at home.

RedsBaron
10-04-2006, 10:42 AM
This lesson is not employed by the coach in the article. There was no honor in beating on a weaker school. The comparison to the Bengals/Oilers falls short. Those are paid professionals. These are kids learning to be adults. And the teaching of how to be one comes from more than just lessons taught at home.

Exactly.:thumbup:

RichRed
10-04-2006, 01:19 PM
The comparison to the Bengals/Oilers falls short. Those are paid professionals.

And besides, Glanville had it coming. ;)

All in all, a great post, TRF. :thumbup:

flyer85
10-04-2006, 01:55 PM
The comparison to the Bengals/Oilers falls short. Those are paid professionals.
no comparison was made, the Bengals/Oilers example was a response to the idea "that the pros don't run up the score." Sometimes they do.

registerthis
10-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Hopefully he'll blow out his knee the next time the coach wants to run it up and we'll see what your advice is then.

Niiiiice.

TRF
10-04-2006, 02:51 PM
no comparison was made, the Bengals/Oilers example was a response to the idea "that the pros don't run up the score." Sometimes they do.

gotcha. But the outcome is different. Running up the score on a true rival, one that has similar resources is part of the game. Next week our High School faces it's biggest rival and if they dominate for three quarters, I bet they'll still let up a bit an play the second string players.

That's what a good HIGH SCHOOL coach does.

I want Marvin Lewis to run up the score a bit against the Steelers.

It happens at all levels I suppose, but there are times it just isn't right. High School and below is not the place to teach "crush your enemy, see him driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."

That's where you teach honor, and fair play.

Handofdeath
10-04-2006, 03:39 PM
you obviously have not seen Texas Tech.

Is this the same Texas Tech who played their backups last Saturday for the entire second half after being up 42-0 at halftime? Blow out an overmatched opponent? Yes. Run up the score? No. TTU's coach will usually start playing backups at the start of the second half or at the latest the fourth quarter in blowouts. Facts are TTU has not run up the score on anybody at least not during the Mike Leach era.

flyer85
10-04-2006, 03:39 PM
That's where you teach honor, and fair play.if you haven't learned honor and fair play at home by high school age I don't think a football game is going to teach you much.

flyer85
10-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Facts are TTU has not run up the score on anybody at least not during the Mike Leach era.TTU never stops throwing or running their spread offense. Most people consider running up the score to be not just taking out your starters but also to quit passing the ball and attacking the defense. Leach admitted in a great article from last year in national magazine that did an 8-10 page story on Leach(lawyer turned coach) that he plays every offensive possession to try and score a touchdown, even when the reserves are in the game. Leach may play the backups players but he never calls off the dogs. I think the large majority of people would consider that running up the score.

BTW, I am a fan of Leach, I love his unortrhodox ideas of spreading the offense(not just recievers but huge line gaps as well). He gives no quarter and expects none as well.

RedsBaron
10-04-2006, 03:55 PM
TTU never stops throwing or running their spread offense. Most people consider running up the score to be not just taking out your starters but also to quit passing the ball and attacking the defense. Leach admitted in a great article from last year in national magazine that did an 8-10 page story on Leach(lawyer turned coach) that he plays every offensive possession to try and score a touchdown, even when the reserves are in the game. Leach may play the backups players but he never calls off the dogs. I think the large majority of people would consider that running up the score.

BTW, I am a fan of Leach, I love his unortrhodox ideas of spreading the offense(not just recievers but huge line gaps as well). He gives no quarter and expects none as well.
I really have no objection to that tactic. If a football team with an offense oriented around a power running game gets a big lead, nobody complains if the team's reserve running backs still attempt to score. If a college or high school football team's primary offense is a passing attack, when the substitutes are in the game I see nothing wrong with the team continuing to use its passing oriented offense. This lets the reserves practice the offense they would use in other games, and if the opponent cannot stop the substitutes, then the opponent has no reason to complain.

Handofdeath
10-04-2006, 03:58 PM
if you haven't learned honor and fair play at home by high school age I don't think a football game is going to teach you much.

It depends on what your home life is like. For some high school athletes their coaches and teachers are the only decent adult role models they have. This whole macho and war mentality is great when you're carrying an M-16 but it shouldn't be given out to teenagers who most likely are not going to be playing football after high school. That is where the teaching about commitment, respect, and hard work should be coming in. Because you know what? The coach who is teaching that war mentality crap will go over to the other side if the other school gives him a sweet enough deal.

TRF
10-04-2006, 04:18 PM
if you haven't learned honor and fair play at home by high school age I don't think a football game is going to teach you much.

because every parent is Ozzie and Harriet.

School is as much about how to become an adult as it is the three R's.

flyer85
10-04-2006, 04:32 PM
School is as much about how to become an adult as it is the three R's.which is why are school systems are in such terrible shape.

TRF
10-04-2006, 05:09 PM
which is why are school systems are in such terrible shape.

ridiculous.

not all public schools are in terrible shape. and one has nothing to do with the other. mis-management of funds, inner city schools where parents work 2, sometimes thee jobs and have no time for their kids, or worse the ones that don't care and don't work, setting this example for their next generation.

teachers teaching values is a bad thing?

ridiculous.

flyer85
10-04-2006, 05:19 PM
teachers teaching values is a bad thing?

ridiculous.not getting them at home is a bad thing. Hoping that a high school football coach can overcome what hasn't been learned in the first 16 years is an uphill battle.

The point is by the time you get to the high school level the "winning is everything" mentality is in charge.
A high school football coach who teaches the right values and loses will soon be an unemployed high school football coach in most places.

And a high school football coach who wins and teaches the wrong lessons will likely be rewarded.

And those are messages the kids get loud and clear.

TeamSelig
10-04-2006, 06:19 PM
alot of crazy stuff happens in sports though... you see all the time about crazy come backs when teams get a huge lead and then lose their momentimum

MaineRed
10-04-2006, 10:47 PM
which is why are school systems are in such terrible shape.

You've made that obvious.

MaineRed
10-04-2006, 10:59 PM
alot of crazy stuff happens in sports though... you see all the time about crazy come backs when teams get a huge lead and then lose their momentimum

How many teams have lost their momentum after one individual scores 8 TDs and at a minimum the score is 48-0?

Your telling me, you honestly believe part of the reason the kid was or should have been in that game at that point, after 8 TDs was becuause of your crazy stuff happens in sports rationale?

After the next TD the score was at least 56-0. But send him back out for another. Heck, you never know what might happen in this crazy world of sports. I think I saw four, maybe five 58 point rallies just last weekend.

TRF
10-05-2006, 10:31 AM
not getting them at home is a bad thing. Hoping that a high school football coach can overcome what hasn't been learned in the first 16 years is an uphill battle.

The point is by the time you get to the high school level the "winning is everything" mentality is in charge.
A high school football coach who teaches the right values and loses will soon be an unemployed high school football coach in most places.

And a high school football coach who wins and teaches the wrong lessons will likely be rewarded.

And those are messages the kids get loud and clear.

And if life were lived in a vacuum you'd be right. But teachers have a lot of influence over the type of adult you become. Teachers have our children for 7-8 hours a day, and by high school, that can stretch to 10 hours. My son is at school at 8:00 in the morning and leaves at 5:00. every day. I see him for an hour in the morning, and about 2-3 hours at night.

His teachers have a ton of influence over him. They teach him not to cheat. They teach him not to be disruptive in class. They teach him to follow rules. Now we have taught him these things too, but they help reinforce the idea.

Now you have a guy that says it's ok to beat on the weak. Did the backup RB get any PT? When they were up 40+ - 0 did the second stringers get the bulk of the playing time? By not playing them did he make his team better or just his W/L record? How very "me first" in a team dynamic. Great role model, and yes a HS Coach is a role model.

Handofdeath
10-07-2006, 01:19 PM
"And if life were lived in a vacuum you'd be right. But teachers have a lot of influence over the type of adult you become. Teachers have our children for 7-8 hours a day, and by high school, that can stretch to 10 hours. My son is at school at 8:00 in the morning and leaves at 5:00. every day. I see him for an hour in the morning, and about 2-3 hours at night."

I'll take that even further. I have two high school seniors at home and they both hold part time jobs. We have had all five members of the family at the table for a meal maybe three times in the last two months. Both of my older kids are good kids. They make their mistakes but they have come out all right but all it takes is one moron to undo everything. My daughter's karate coach is a HUGE influence and probably spends more time with her now 1 to 1 than I do and not by my choice. With kids her age asserting their independence from their parents that makes someone like her even more likely to be influenced by outside people, even if the parenting has been flawless.

James B.
10-07-2006, 07:11 PM
I got no problem with a coach continuing to run his offense with a big lead. With a 64 point lead he needs to be running his offense with 3rd stringers. I think it is absurd that a coach would leave his best player in a game like this. There are players all over the country that could break this record, but the coaches won't let it happen.

KGJR30
10-09-2006, 01:16 AM
This story was in the Washington Post on Friday. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/05/AR2006100501978.html

Some background info on the game. I have very little respect for Yogi Kinder and the Matewan football team after reading this.

GAC
10-09-2006, 05:37 AM
Good article KGJR30.

It's not the breaking of the record, or any record, that is the issue.... it's the INTENT behind it.

RedsBaron
10-09-2006, 07:30 AM
I don't blame Paul McCoy for getting 658 yards; I blame his coach for the tactics that allowed him to do it. Last Friday McCoy only had 81 yards in a 7-6 loss to Tug Valley, a school that went 0-10 last year.
An article in Huntington's The Hearld-Dispatch this morning noted that while "McCoy is well on his way to breaking the West Virginia single-season rushing record, until he rushes for 100 yards against a decent team he's as doubtful to win the Kennedy Award [given to W. Va.'s top football player] as Terrell Owens is to kiss and make up with Donovan McNabb."

TRF
10-09-2006, 12:02 PM
After reading that article, I find that Matewan's actions were despicable. The whole team should be embarrassed. There is simply no excuse for humiliation of that kind at that level.

It's Hell week here in Amarillo. Biggest rivalry in town, Amarillo High vs. Tascosa High. THS has the better team this year, and the kids and fans will be screaming for the team to run up the score if they can. But if this game is in hand by the end third quarter, I do know we'll see the starters rested. If AHS crawls back into it, We'll see the starters back out there.

It's about character. Having it and teaching it.

Roy Tucker
10-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Matewan HS guestbook...

http://htmlgear.tripod.com/guest/control.guest?u=ellenmhs&i=1&a=view

They're taking quite a beating.

TRF
11-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Well last night was my son's last game of the year. He's on the freshman team. He didn't play in the first half, and Lubbock Coronado scored twice. My boy went in in the second half, and his defensive prowess was evident as Tascosa shut them out in the second half. He had 5 tackles for a loss of yardage, but one play stands out.

Keep in mind, this is his first season of football since the 2nd grade.

The Coronodo running back breaks through for about 5-6 yards when he hits a traffic jam of offense and defense. The pile is slowly moving forward. For a freshman, this kid had some size. The whistle has not blown. Then from the left, #66 is running full steam towards the mass of players. I figured he'd just hit them.

What happened next caught me completely by surprise.

He speared the whole group. At least 6-7 players. Some were his teammates. After the play was whistled dead, his sideline erupted when he came off the field.

Coronado won 12-0, and while our boys would have liked to have won, after the game they were all smiles. Their coach was waiting outside the gym, and greeted each kid before they got on the bus for the two-hour trip home. He thanked them for their hard work, and let them know that the season is over, but the work goes on. Weight room on Monday, and off season workouts start right away.

As I typed this, I have the stupidest smile on my face.

Tonight we return to Lubbock as the Varsity plays Coronado for the final playoff spot. My daughter is a varsity cheerleader. If they win, the next game is in Dallas. They have a real shot at this. My daughter could be cheering in Texas Stadium.

Again really stupid smile.

But back to the sportsmanship. I didn't hear a single kid trash Coronado after the game. We make fun of baseball GM's that say "He plays the game the right way..." but there is some truth to that. Sean Casey and Dmitri Young have a pretty similar skill set. But it's Casey that we all loved. even when he was ailing it was hard to hate on the man. Parents are a big part of that, but his influences don't stop there. Teachers and coaches along the way help mold these kids into the adults they become.

I'm eager to meet the adults my kids are becoming. And I thank their teachers, coaches, dance instructors, ROTC Commanders, and gymnastic trainers all the time.

TRF
11-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Sometimes things just don't work out the way you hoped.

Turns out, their next game is in El Paso.

go Rebels!

Friday night was an outstanding game that had the score deadlocked at 14 at the half. Tascosa's D stiffened in the second half allowing only a touchdown, and the final score was Amarillo Tascosa 35, Lubbock Coronado 20. But it was closer than the score indicated. Tascosa scored twice in the final 5 minutes to go up by 15. One heckuva game. 1st playoff appearance by the Rebels in 13 years.

So my daughter goes south to El Paso on friday, with the game being played the next day. Sadly, we can't make the trip. Hopefully they win, and we get another opportunity. The football team, cheerleaders and students that made Friday's trip to Lubbock celebrated on the field for over half an hour. Coronado was gracious in defeat as was Tascosa in victory. Our boys stood in line behind Coronado as their band played their school song. Then they turned, went to our sideline and we sang our song. The first thing Tascosa's coach did after being hired 2 years ago was find out if there were words to the fight song. It had been so long since the school had any school spirit, nobody knew if there were word. He made it mandatory that all his players learn the song.

Parents, students, cheerleaders and players were in tears singing it knowing the next game was the beginning of the playoffs.

It was the best game I watched all weekend.