PDA

View Full Version : Narron on Edwin playing 1st

reds44
10-01-2006, 03:56 PM
UPDATE: Narron seemed amused that we were slobbering over the Edwin-at-first thing. He said not to read anything into it.

"If Id known it was that big a deal, Id have put Castro over there," he said.

Furthermore:

"As far as Im concerned, Eddies the third baseman. Like today, there might be a time when he goes over there (to first) just because of what goes on out on the field. Everything weve discussed is that hes made improvement at third base over the course of the year and right now our intentions are to keep him at third."
-Marc's blog

puca
10-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Everything weve discussed is that hes made improvement at third base over the course of the year and right now our intentions are to keep him at third.

I'm probably guilty of reading too much into this, but the way Jerry phrased this bothers me. a lot.

reds44
10-01-2006, 05:09 PM
More

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061001&content_id=1693303&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

PITTSBURGH -- Edwin Encarnacion's eyebrows went up in surprise Sunday when he saw the Reds lineup card.
He wasn't alone.

Encarnacion, Cincinnati's regular third baseman, was given his first career start at first base in the season's final game. Regular first baseman Scott Hatteberg was given the day off with a left-hander pitching for the Pirates.

"When I was in Triple-A, I played two games there," Encarnacion said. "I don't like it. But I can play it."

Encarnacion was tied for first among National League third basemen with 25 errors, many of them on bad throws to first base. The irony of his switching to the other side of the infield wasn't lost on some teammates, who had a good chuckle.

"Now he's going to learn what Hattie feels like," said infielder Juan Castro, who joked he'd throw sliders to Encarnacion. "Hattie is going be laughing."

Encarnacion played one inning at first base for the Reds on May 14 against the Phillies in a 12-inning game. Cincinnati manager Jerry Narron insisted he wasn't auditioning Encarnacion for a new position next season.

"One day is not going to make a difference," Narron said. "As far as I'm concerned, Eddie is a third baseman. Like today, there might be times he goes over there, depending on who is out on the field. Everything we've discussed is he's made improvement at third base over the course of the year. Right now, our intentions are to keep him at third base."

In his first full big-league season, Encarnacion worked hard at improving his defense with bench/infield coach Bucky Dent. There were some results.

"He's getting better," Narron said. "The error total isn't what we'd like, but it has gone down over the course of the year."

Encarnacion, who borrowed a first baseman's glove from Hatteberg, was asked if he'd like to get more starts there next season.

"This is the last day," Encarnacion said. "I'm ready for that."

KronoRed
10-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Conspiracy hats on.

Heath
10-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Conspiracy hats on.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Linny1468/sombraro.jpg

GAC
10-01-2006, 08:39 PM
"As far as I’m concerned, Eddie’s the third baseman.

And yet, earlier in the season, many were saying that it was Narron's goal to see that EE was not. ;)

KronoRed
10-01-2006, 09:06 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Linny1468/sombraro.jpg

Nice one.

RedFanAlways1966
10-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Nothin' big. IMO.. last games that have teams who are finishing their year sometimes have different players at positions. I think it is smart thinking to get Edwin experience in case that RARE moment happens where he might shift there late in a game... which keeps his bat in the lineup! Today's game was meaningless in the scheme of things, but experience might payoff in the future.

BTW... last game 2005 1st baseman = Jacob Cruz. Not a big deal... nor an "experience" thing evidently!

MWM
10-01-2006, 10:04 PM
Does anyone have Edwin's second half error rate? I'm not sure how to get it, or I'd post it myself. It seems like the frequency of his throwing gaffs went WAY down after the break. He wound up with 25 in 109 games started. That translates to 37 over 162 games. That's clearly pretty bad, but IIRC, he was at about 20 at the AS break.

Cyclone792
10-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Does anyone have Edwin's second half error rate? I'm not sure how to get it, or I'd post it myself. It seems like the frequency of his throwing gaffs went WAY down after the break. He wound up with 25 in 109 games started. That translates to 37 over 162 games. That's clearly pretty bad, but IIRC, he was at about 20 at the AS break.

Edwin had 15 errors before the All-Star Break and 10 errors after the All-Star break. His final error before the All-Star break was on July 6th, and that was his 15th error on the season.

MWM
10-01-2006, 10:38 PM
So he made 25 errors in 54 games before the break, and 10 errors in 62 games after the break. That's massive improvement. Unfortunately, it will probably get glossed over as people talk about how bad he is defensively, especially on the Hot-Stove reports on the Big One. He's been labeled and that will be virtually impossible to remove short of winning a gold glove, which isn't out of the realm of possibility considering the number of great plays he makes.

KronoRed
10-01-2006, 10:42 PM
So much for people saying if EE played every day in the 2nd half that he would commit 50 errors.

Highlifeman21
10-01-2006, 10:52 PM
So much for people saying if EE played every day in the 2nd half that he would commit 50 errors.

Sign me up for the people saying if EE plays everyday he'll rack up 50 doubles.

reds44
10-01-2006, 11:13 PM
So he made 25 errors in 54 games before the break, and 10 errors in 62 games after the break. That's massive improvement. Unfortunately, it will probably get glossed over as people talk about how bad he is defensively, especially on the Hot-Stove reports on the Big One. He's been labeled and that will be virtually impossible to remove short of winning a gold glove, which isn't out of the realm of possibility considering the number of great plays he makes.
That's a HUGE improvement that I doubt Krivsky overlooks.

RFS62
10-02-2006, 08:42 AM
Yeah, and maybe his improvement came from the intense workouts he went through while he was on the bench.

You remember, back when everyone said Narron was an idiot for benching him.

RedsBaron
10-02-2006, 09:20 AM
The Reds already have enough guys whose best position is firstbase. They don't need to develop EE into a firstbaseman.

Razor Shines
10-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Edwin had 15 errors before the All-Star Break and 10 errors after the All-Star break. His final error before the All-Star break was on July 6th, and that was his 15th error on the season.

So he made 25 errors in 54 games before the break, and 10 errors in 62 games after the break. That's massive improvement.

Not to nit-pick but I thought he only had 25 errors. So he had 15 in 54 games and 10 in 62. So it's still improvement.