PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Girardi to be let go on Tuesday

reds44
10-01-2006, 07:39 PM
http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061001&content_id=1694038&vkey=news_fla&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla

MIAMI -- The season finale came and went Sunday afternoon for the Marlins, and there was still no definitive word on Joe Girardi's managerial future.
Following an emotional finish of a 3-2 win in 11 innings over the Phillies, the Marlins players celebrated on the field. Girardi got a big hug from third-base coach Bobby Meacham, and he was embraced by his players, including Dontrelle Willis.

Afterwards, Girardi expressed that he signed a three-year contract last October, and that he would like to see that through.

At 9 a.m. ET on Tuesday morning, Girardi will meet with Marlins management.

MLB.com received strong indications from sources on Sunday that Girardi will be dismissed at that time, and the team will turn quickly to Braves third-base coach Fredi Gonzalez as its first choice to be the next manager.

Gonzalez, who grew up in Miami, was Florida's third-base coach from 1999-2001, and he previously managed in the organization's Minor League system. He is regarded as the clear favorite to land the job, and a deal to secure him as manager could be finalized over the next few days.

Before Sunday's finale, Marlins general manager Larry Beinfest did not go into specifics about Girardi's future.

"I'm sure Joe and I will sit down," Beinfest said. "I think we'll wait till everything is over with, in fairness to the process for Joe and I to sit down."

Team owner Jeffrey Loria was not at the team's final homestand with the Reds and Phillies.

After Sunday's win, Girardi spoke to his team for a few minutes, congratulating them on an impressive season, which ended up at 78-84. The players applauded Girardi in an emotional exchange.

"It's about the players," Girardi said. "I'm still the manager of this club. It's a special group of kids. It's fun watching them."

Girardi said he wants to remain Florida's manager.

"I signed on for three years," he said. "I didn't sign on for one or two."

Monday is Yom Kippur and the Marlins are not expected to conduct any business that day.

"I'm going to observe the holiday Monday, and I know David Samson [team president] and Jeffrey are as well," Beinfest said. "I'm not sure there will be any business conducted on Monday."

While Girardi's future with the organization is in limbo, Beinfest praised the first-year manager and the development of the young squad.

"I think this team was prepared to play," Beinfest said. "They played hard every day. I think there was a winning attitude instilled here, and this team won a lot of games.

"I think Joe and his staff deserve a lot of credit for that. I would have to say, as far as the game managing, I thought it was good. Joe's a rookie and there can always be rookie mistakes. There can always be Monday-morning quarterbacking, but I think he did a good job."

A primary reason Girardi's status is in question is because he's had a rocky working relationship with the front office.

Asked how important it is for the general manager and manager to work together on major decisions, Beinfest said: "It's important."

Considering their inexperience and league-low $15 million payroll, the Marlins were perhaps the biggest surprise in the league in 2006. At one point, they were 11-31, but [the young club] made a dramatic turnaround, reaching .500 (68-68) on Sept. 3. On Sept. 11, they were 73-71 and two games out in the National League Wild Card standings.

Because of the dramatic turnaround, Girardi will be a strong candidate to win the NL Manager of the Year Award.

Many of the crowd of 36,768 at Sunday's game remained for all 11 innings, and afterwards they showed their appreciation for the team's performance and Girardi.

"I heard people say, 'Nice job,' and that's nice. I appreciate that," Girardi said. "The people in South Florida have been good to me. They've been very good to me."

Girardi has the support of many players. Willis says Girardi should be the Manager of the Year.

"He's here, as far as I'm concerned," Willis said. "Until I see something on the ticker, he's going to be our manager.

"I'm not going to get up and have no sleepless nights, and worry about that [if Girardi is dismissed]. I think he's done a great job for us. We responded to him, and that's it."

TC81190
10-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Ball's in your court, Wayne.

cincinnati chili
10-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Shucks. I kinda thought Girardi and Loria deserved each other.

Unassisted
10-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Ball's in your court, Wayne.If Wayne can beat Steinbrenner to it. There's a seat on the Bronx bench next to Torre just waiting for another catcher named Joe who wore the pinstripes.

redsfan30
10-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Why not do this today? Everyone under the sun knows what's going to happen, so why not get it over with?

Loria could be trying to hide the public uproar over this move with the start of the playoffs.

Chip R
10-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Why not do this today? Everyone under the sun knows what's going to happen, so why not get it over with?

I think the article said that they aren't going to conduct business today because it's Yom Kippur.

paintmered
10-02-2006, 11:22 AM
I want no part of Girardi in Cincinnati. We already have Jerry Narron. We don't need his clone.

redsfan30
10-02-2006, 11:35 AM
I think the article said that they aren't going to conduct business today because it's Yom Kippur.

Makes sense.

Puffy
10-02-2006, 12:32 PM
I want no part of Girardi in Cincinnati. We already have Jerry Narron. We don't need his clone.

Girardi is light years ahead of Narron as a manager. Girardi took a team that was young and had no business doing anything this year except surviving, started out at 11-34 and yet somehow he got them near .500. His players liked, respected and trusted him - just like his teammates when he played.

Girardi is more Mike Scoscia than Jerry Narron. Just because Beinfest, Loria and Girardi don't see eye to eye doesn't make him a failure.

And yes, I know Marlins fans aren't ga-ga over him, but reading this board everyday should teach us that most teams fans don't really know squat about whats best for a team and an organization.

Chip R
10-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Girardi is light years ahead of Narron as a manager. Girardi took a team that was young and had no business doing anything this year except surviving, started out at 11-34 and yet somehow he got them near .500. His players liked, respected and trusted him - just like his teammates when he played.

Sure, but what would Girardi do with all the senior citizens he'd have playing for him if he managed here? ;)

I agree that Girardi had to have done something right in order to turn that team around. What he did, I have no idea. Maybe he scared them like the manager did in Bull Durham. But what worked in Florida may not work here.

savafan
10-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Well said Puffy, couldn't agree more!

BRM
10-02-2006, 01:38 PM
Baker has been fired by the Cubs. Any chance Girardi ends up in Chicago.

CHICAGO (AP) -- Dusty Baker is out as the Chicago Cubs' manager following a last-place finish and a failure to take the team to the playoffs in his four years.

The Cubs made the announcement Monday, a day after team president Andy MacPhail resigned and the club finished with a 66-96 record.

"I wish we could have gotten it done but we didn't," Baker said. "You see four years come to pass very quickly."

Baker was in the last season of his $14 million-to-$15 million deal and had hoped to resurrect the franchise that hadn't been in the World Series since 1945 and hadn't won one since 1908. He compiled a 322-326 record during his time in Chicago.

flyer85
10-02-2006, 02:08 PM
While Narron frustrates the heck out me at times I think having the right GM is a much bigger issue than having the right manager.

oneupper
10-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Baker helped the Cubs suck. I shall miss him.

(oops wrong manager thread)

flyer85
10-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Baker helped the Cubs suck. I shall miss him.his love for veteran scrappiness certainly did them no favors.

dsmith421
10-02-2006, 02:23 PM
While Narron frustrates the heck out me at times I think having the right GM is a much bigger issue than having the right manager.

Totally agree. However, even a good GM can be undermined by a poor field manager, especially if the manager's lineup/pitching decisions directly contradict the GM's plan and projections.

flyer85
10-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Totally agree. However, even a good GM can be undermined by a poor field manager, especially if the manager's lineup/pitching decisions directly contradict the GM's plan and projections.but then most GMs get to correct that problem, which is why Girardi is leaving Florida.

Puffy
10-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Sure, but what would Girardi do with all the senior citizens he'd have playing for him if he managed here? ;)

I agree that Girardi had to have done something right in order to turn that team around. What he did, I have no idea. Maybe he scared them like the manager did in Bull Durham. But what worked in Florida may not work here.

Absolutely - I'm not sure I'd want him as a manager. I think I would give him a chance, but still would rather have a Pinella or a Davey Johnson.

I'm just commenting on people on here implying he is a bad manager or a Narron clone - he is neither based on what limited facts we have on him. I got to watch a lot of Marlins baseball here in PCB and he did nothing but impress me. Then again, I had no "Reds type rootin" interest in whether they won or lost......

Reds4Life
10-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Girardi is getting booted because he told their idiot owner how much of an idiot he really is, it's not performance related.

flyer85
10-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Girardi is getting booted because he told their idiot owner how much of an idiot he really is, it's not performance related.The stuff I read said that he has not gotten along with Beinfest since the beginning of the season, mainly due to a refusal to discuss his in-game decision making with the GM. If Beinfest wanted him to stay I have little doubt he would be the manager going forward.

Matt700wlw
10-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Girardi to Chicago would be my guess....he played there and he's from the area.

Outshined_One
10-02-2006, 04:00 PM
Girardi to Chicago would be my guess....he played there and he's from the area.

Problem is, Hendry used to be an assistant to Larry Beinfest and the two still have a good friendship with one another. Something tells me he does not want to hire Girardi, no matter how much the Chicago media and Cubs fans clamor for him.

Reds4Life
10-02-2006, 04:05 PM
The stuff I read said that he has not gotten along with Beinfest since the beginning of the season, mainly due to a refusal to discuss his in-game decision making with the GM. If Beinfest wanted him to stay I have little doubt he would be the manager going forward.

Loria is a know it all owner and he doesn't get along with Girardi, they had a pretty heated confrontation after a game recently. Loria wanted to fire him on the spot, but somebody talked him out of it.

I think this move comes straight from the top. Loria has already run one franchise into the ground and is currently working on his second.

flyer85
10-02-2006, 04:07 PM
Loria is a know it all owner and he doesn't get along with Girardi, they had a pretty heated confrontation after a game recently. Loria wanted to fire him on the spot, but somebody talked him out of it.

I think this move comes straight from the top. Loria has already run one franchise into the ground and is currently working on his second.If running into the ground can involve a WS title then I will take it.

Always Red
10-02-2006, 04:09 PM
Beinfest has done an excellent job over the years at Florida; if Loria has any brains he will not second guess his baseball decisions.

I agree with the above notions that the GM is more important than the manager, and that Girardi has to at least explain his actions to the GM.

But having said that, I'll aslo say this: Joe Girardi is a winner. Yes, he might tick you (and everyone else) off on the way there, but the guy has been successful at everything he's done in baseball thus far.

Maybe Loria was just looking for a butt-kisser, and was disappointed not to find that in Girardi? Joe will land on his feet, somewhere next year. He's got a proven track record now- one of both irritating management and bringing a team to a higher level than they were expected to finish. Don't look past the fact that the Marlins have a lot of excellent young talent, too.

KronoRed
10-02-2006, 04:09 PM
If running into the ground can involve a WS title then I will take it.

Agreed, and they are already reloaded to make another run next year

flyer85
10-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Don't look past the fact that the Marlins have a lot of excellent young talent, too.which is due to Beinfest. He's the key to what is going on down there. Beinfest has shown the ability to identify talent before it blossoms which is the key to a small market organization.

Puffy
10-02-2006, 04:57 PM
which is due to Beinfest. He's the key to what is going on down there. Beinfest has shown the ability to identify talent before it blossoms which is the key to a small market organization.

Absolutely. He is a heck of a GM.

But I also don't think one can overlook Girardi's contributions in molding young talent (most of which could have used a bit more seasoning in the minors) into a contender so quickly. Heck, I loved the moves Beinfest made when he made them, yet I thought they were 3 to 4 years from being a serious threat - turns out it only took them about 81 games, cause if they didn't start out 11-34 they could have gotten 90 wins and the wildcard.

flyer85
10-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Absolutely. He is a heck of a GM.

But I also don't think one can overlook Girardi's contributions in molding young talent (most of which could have used a bit more seasoning in the minors) into a contender so quickly. Heck, I loved the moves Beinfest made when he made them, yet I thought they were 3 to 4 years from being a serious threat - turns out it only took them about 81 games, cause if they didn't start out 11-34 they could have gotten 90 wins and the wildcard.My comment before the season when there was all this talk about how bad the Marlins were going to be in 2006 was that "the Marlins would see the playoffs again before the Reds would".

traderumor
10-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Baseball Digest Daily is reporting a 2 pm news conference has been called by the Marlins. Probably to announce an extension ;)

ramp101
10-03-2006, 04:03 PM
Girardi is getting booted because he told their idiot owner how much of an idiot he really is, it's not performance related.

Girardi reminds me of what was once said about former Notre Dame coach Ty Willingham

"from Sunday to Friday he is a fantastic coach, but come game time, he doesnt have clue."

you dont want Joe. He cant evaluate talent for his life.

also, Marlins named Fredi Gonzalez manager.

wally post
10-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Girardi reminds me of what was once said about former Notre Dame coach Ty Willingham

"from Sunday to Friday he is a fantastic coach, but come game time, he doesnt have clue."

you dont want Joe. He cant evaluate talent for his life.

also, Marlins named Fredi Gonzalez manager.

Hey there Ramp - I'm glad you are happy with the change. You are the kind of fan any team wants! But how did Joe G mis-evaluate talent this year? Do you have any examples? That concept has not previously occurred to me.

ramp101
10-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Hey there Ramp - I'm glad you are happy with the change. You are the kind of fan any team wants! But how did Joe G mis-evaluate talent this year? Do you have any examples? That concept has not previously occurred to me.

Im so glad you asked.

He wanted Josh Willingham to play catcher(and while Im his biggest fan, the guy is a terrible catcher, thats why he is in LF!). He wanted Miguel Cabrera to play 1st base. He wanted Mike Jacobs to be sent down to AAA. He wanted 2b Dan Uggla to play LF. He wanted Josh Johnson and Ricky Nolasco to be in the bullpen(he got his wish with this one, until both broke into the rotation on May). I am no fan of Alfredo Amezaga but he was fantastic for us this season and Girardi didnt want him to even make the team.

Then there is the facts where Joe would have Dan Uggla bunting with runners on base. This wasnt early in the year, when Uggla was still an unknown rookie. This was when everyone knew this guy could hit. Joe loved playing Amezaga vs lefties, when he was a career .175 hitter vs them, and under .100 vs them this season. He routinely brought in relief pitchers who had been shelled for weeks and yet were still brought in in big situations.

I could go on for a very very long time but Im sure that would bore many of you. The fact is that he was making the same mistakes in August-September as he was in April.