PDA

View Full Version : Did Steve Stewart have any last words or comments?

GOREDSGO32
10-01-2006, 09:37 PM
Just wondering what he had to say - his announcing grew on me throughout the year, although not as passionate as Marty they made a good team. Did he or Marty say anything before signing off?

Caseyfan21
10-01-2006, 09:45 PM
Marty thanked him and gave him some nice comments in the top of the 9th before he left to go do the player of the game interview. Steve appeared to be choked up thanking Marty at that point.

Then, after the player of the game interview, he made several comments thanking lots of people and saying he still hoped to live in the Cincinnati area. He seemed pretty emotional at that point as well and all in all, he had a nice send-off.

I wish him nothing but the best as he will hopefully get another job somewhere else. He seems like a class act and handled the tough situation he was in much better than I think anyone else could have.

dougflynn23
10-01-2006, 09:54 PM
:( This hurts me to say, but Joe Nuxhall caused this to happen. Had Joe understood his time had passed, he would have bowed out with grace and thrown his full support to Steve Stewart. Instead, he lingered around like someone had just run over his dog, literally cried in front of the media, and was often baited into commenting that he had no idea why he had been phased out when it had been clearly explained to him.....that major sponsors no longer wanted to shell out six-figure checks to a venue that had an announcer who missed or screwed up as many ad spots as he got right. It's hard to replace a legend, and Joe should have remembered that as he did the same. Difference was, Joe got Waite Hoyt's full support. Can Joe say he did the same for Steve Stewart?

scuba17
10-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Help an outsider out here. These Thom Brenneman rumors, would that be for radio w/ Marty (replacing stewart)? Or would he be on TV replacing Grande/Welsh?

Why is Stewart out?

captainmorgan07
10-01-2006, 09:58 PM
sad to see steve go as with some of u he also grew on me after awhile while he didn't always have to enthusiasm as marty he did his best

ChatterRed
10-01-2006, 10:04 PM
Stewart basically went on a 4 letter word tirade of everything including the fans.

Just kidding.

Classy as always.

lucky bugle boy
10-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Help an outsider out here. These Thom Brenneman rumors, would that be for radio w/ Marty (replacing stewart)? Or would he be on TV replacing Grande/Welsh?

Why is Stewart out?

Presumably (and I don't think anyone is buying the rumors 100%) Thom would go on the radio with Marty and be his eventual replacement. It is very likely that a former player would be added to the radio booth, the latest rumor (from Lance McCallister) has Thom and a former player both being added. Hope that helps.

Back on topic, I wish Steve all the best as well. A very classy individual; his biggest downfall was that he is not as charismatic as Marty, but he played second fiddle as well as I could imagine anyone doing.

Heath
10-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Radio - Marty, Thom, Joe, & Todd Benzinger

TV - George Grande & Creeper (100 games)

TV - Thom & Kent Mercker (45 games)

GG and CW said they didn't want to do more than 100 games - but FSN is doing 145 next year.

JMO.

savafan
10-02-2006, 12:08 AM
Radio - Marty, Thom, Joe, & Todd Benzinger

TV - George Grande & Creeper (100 games)

TV - Thom & Kent Mercker (45 games)

GG and CW said they didn't want to do more than 100 games - but FSN is doing 145 next year.

JMO.

That's a pretty specific opinion.

jnwohio
10-02-2006, 12:52 AM
It's hard to replace a legend, and Joe should have remembered that as he did the same. Difference was, Joe got Waite Hoyt's full support. Can Joe say he did the same for Steve Stewart?

Joe did not directly replace Waite Hoyt. As things worked back then (mid 1960's), Hoyt was an employee of the Burger Brewery which held the rights to broadcast the games. When it was announced in the late spring/ early summer of 1965 that Burger had been outbid for the broadcast rights starting with the next season, there was much talk about what would happen to Hoyt. A few weeks later he announced on air that the new rights holder, Wiedeman (sp?), had offered to retain him but he had declined their offer out of loyalty to Burger.

Jim McIntyre and Claude Sullivan were the broadcast team in 1966. When Joe retired at the end of spring training the following year he was added to the team. My recollection is that Sullivan was already suffering from what turned out to be a terminal case of cancer; and he worked very little with McIntyre and Nuxhall that year. The following year (and perhaps two more years) the team was Jim And Joe. Prior to the 1971 season Al Micheals was brought in. I have heard but cannot source it that Micheals was originally to replace Nuxhall but McIntyre resigned to save a spot on the team for Joe (those were truly different times).

Waite Hoyt at some point after leaving the radio booth did come back and work a little bit of Reds TV for a year or 2.

So while Joe replaced Waite in folks minds and hearts in the sense of being a baseball guy/ legend on the radio broadcast, he did not directly replace him in the booth.

I do agree that Joe's down grading to a part timer could have been handled better. Ironically, I think he has done some really good work (much of it with Steve) in his current limited role, probably becasue he has been spared the wear and tear of travel and doing it 6 or 7 days a week for 6 months.

Caveat Emperor
10-02-2006, 01:08 AM

Why is Stewart out?

I'm throwing darts at the wall, but I'm guessing because Stewart was brought in by the previous ownership regime as the replacement for Marty with the goal of introducing him to the Cincinnati market and then pairing him up with a former player to make a new broadcast team.

Once Castellini took over, that plan changed and Steve was the odd man out.

TeamBoone
10-02-2006, 02:34 AM
Marty's first inning comments choked Steve up visibly... well, as visible as you can get with radio. I don't think Steve was expecting his "farewell" until the end of the game so he was taken by surprise.

Marty told him that he'd been a class act to work with and sort of apologized for him having been thrown into a tough situation... said he handled it with a lot of class. He also told him that he'd love to work with him again somewhere down the road if the situation ever presented itself. There was more but I can't remember it.

Steve tried to respond but couldn't get the words out... he asked Marty to excuse him while he got himself together. He was extremely choked up. It was bittersweet.

I will miss him. I really liked his style.

I'm wondering how he's going to find something else if he plans on staying in Cincinnati.

flynn78
10-02-2006, 03:42 AM
I eventually warmed up to Steve after not liking him at first. Joe had a right to be bitter, the Uncle Carl regime pushed him out when he by all rights deserved to write his own ticket. Steve Stewart came in with class, had respect for Cincinnati and its fans, and went out with class. He will always be part of the Reds family for me. I wish him well.

goreds2
10-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Farwell Steve, Maybe we will see you in the Reds TV booth next season.

Sign him FOX!

REDREAD
10-02-2006, 10:04 AM

Why is Stewart out?

The rumor is that Thom would go into the radio booth. Personally, I think it's a huge longshot and don't expect it to happen.

Steve seems like a nice guy, but he's not a very good baseball announcer in my opinion. Looks like Cast decided he wanted an upgrade over Steve.

redsfan4445
10-02-2006, 10:09 AM
I see Thom being brought in as a future replacement for Marty after Marty retires..plus the chance for both father and son to do the reds games has to be a awesome thing for Marty. Plus with fox doing 145 games on TV, i see Stewart vying for a job in that position to give Welsh and Grande time off during the season..

muethibp
10-02-2006, 02:17 PM
I was and remain a Stewart defender. I thought he did a nice job and I will miss him. In my opinion, if he landed in the TV booth, it's an improvement over Grande and Welsch.

George Anderson
10-02-2006, 02:39 PM
I was and remain a Stewart defender. I thought he did a nice job and I will miss him. In my opinion, if he landed in the TV booth, it's an improvement over Grande and Welsch.

Agreed!!!

sonny
10-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Although not as charasmatic, Steve was dry and witty. a perfect compliment to Marty IMO. He's a baseball guy with a helluva lot of class. I hope he can get on TV as well.

Radio guys like Marty (in his prime) are VERY rare. Havr you heard the Yankees radio broadcasters? GOD! it's like sliding down greased razors.

goreds2
10-02-2006, 04:25 PM
Although not as charasmatic, Steve was dry and witty. a perfect compliment to Marty IMO. He's a baseball guy with a helluva lot of class. I hope he can get on TV as well.

Radio guys like Marty (in his prime) are VERY rare. Havr you heard the Yankees radio broadcasters? GOD! it's like sliding down greased razors.

For a team with a high payroll, they have terrible announcers!!

Ltlabner
10-02-2006, 04:36 PM
The TV guys on WGN are horrific also.

But I did grow to like Steve. He was dull and too timid at first but partly that is due to his inexperience in Cincy and partly being so used to Joe.

Glad to see he appreicated the kind words. I heard a bit of the bannana phone on Saturday night during the 13 minute rain delay and almost every call was to praise Steve and thank him for his work. You could tell he was flattered and somewhat uncomfortable at being praised.

Hope he lands on his feet somewhere quickly. I wouldn't mind him in the FSN TV booth one bit.

vaticanplum
10-02-2006, 05:10 PM
The TV guys on WGN are horrific also.

I actually like the White Sox guys. they're kind of bland but they can be funny at times. The Cubs TV announcers are awful.

But I love John Sterling, so it appears my opinions are a bit off from everybody here anyway...

jnwohio
10-02-2006, 07:33 PM
IMO, Steve and Marty have done some of their best work together since the announcement that Steve would not be back. Seemed like some real give and take like went on with Marty and Joe was starting to happen. Steve was giving as good as he was getting and Marty seemed to be genuinely enjoying it too I thought.

Sometimes there is a certain freedom that comes only after the critcal mass is already over the dam I guess.

redsfan1966
10-02-2006, 09:18 PM
I really am enjoying the thought that there could be a possibility Steve Stewart may be able to land in the FSN tv booth...that would be a great compromise to what I feel has been a horribly mishandled situation...Steve seems like a perfect person to either anchor the Reds pre and post game shows and fill in when Chris or George are out....as far as the radio booth--I thought at first if Thom Brennaman got the job it would be a horrible stab in Steve's back; but I have decided since then I may have been wrong...I would love to hear Marty and his boy go back and forth...just dont be shocked if Jeff Brantley gets the job or as a real long shot..the old left hander steps from behind the curtain when introduced at Redsfest as the new (yet old) radio announcer....

Also, any theory that has more than two announcers in the radio booth may as well be thrown out the window....Marty has made it perfectly clear there is no way in hell he will work as part of a three man team....oh, by the way, as a "way out here" suggestion....how about Marty and Hal McCoy as a radio team--the two seem like they would work well together and I'm sure Hal could pull off three innings of play by play a night--if he had a tv monitor close by.

savafan
10-02-2006, 09:30 PM
I'd prefer Marty and Kremchek. Anything to keep Doc Hollywood away from diagnosing injuries is good to me. ;)

jnwohio
10-02-2006, 10:01 PM
With Thom B. already working for Fox and doing TV, I have trouble picturing a scenario in Cincy that does not have him on TV at least part of the time. Whether that might be working some games entirely on TV and others entirely on radio or switching back forth within games or a combination of all I don't know.

As far as George and Chris, is there really going to be that much more travel involved in doing the additional 45 games on TV? Seems to me most of the road games were on TV already or at least one from each series which meant they were travelling to all the cities. So weren't they already doing the bulk of the travel? I guess if George comes into Cincy from elsewhere, then doing basically all of the home games would mean more travel or more time away from home at least for him. But Chris lives in the Cincy area doesn't he? Maybe he has other interests he does not want to lose time from.

I am thinking they are going to end up with 3 guys on the radio team and 3 guys on the TV team (Plus any TV time Thom does and any radio time Joe does) but they all won't be working at the same time.

TeamBoone
10-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Many people have mentioned they'd like to see Steve in the TV booth... and someone even went so far as to see he was glad to hear of the possibility of him in the TV booth.

Is there really a possibility, or is all this pure speculation?

savafan
10-02-2006, 10:49 PM

I think it's all just speculation on here right now.

jnwohio
10-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Many people have mentioned they'd like to see Steve in the TV booth... and someone even went so far as to see he was glad to hear of the possibility of him in the TV booth.

John Fay's article in today's Enquirer which said Thom Brenneman could be announced as a Reds broadcaster as soon as next week also stated that Steve in the TV booth was a possibility so I would guess it is more than speculation.

Could be Steve's fate with the TV hinges on whether they reel in Thom B.

Much more about this in the similar thread over on ORG.

TeamBoone
10-02-2006, 11:46 PM
John Fay's article in today's Enquirer which said Thom Brenneman could be announced as a Reds broadcaster as soon as next week also stated that Steve in the TV booth was a possibility so I would guess it is more than speculation.

Could be Steve's fate with the TV hinges on whether they reel in Thom B.

Much more about this in the similar thread over on ORG.

Wow, thanks. I haven't read the article.

Heath
10-03-2006, 12:14 AM
Maybe that was the last time GG sees the smiling side of the scoreboard with the crafty lefthander?

:dunno:

Too many possibilities.

Ltlabner
10-03-2006, 09:18 AM
I think it's all just speculation on here right now.

But Sava, wild speculation passes for fact in many cases on RZ. If I post it, it must be true. And if it's really wild, then it must be really true!

:p:

timmario66
11-09-2006, 05:10 PM
I guess Steve is still in town per Trent Rosecrans UC Bearcats blog:

Dan Hoard will have a busy weekend -- he'll be calling the Bearcat basketball game on Friday, going to Morgantown for Saturday's football game and will be back in Cincinnati for Sunday's basketball game. Saturday, Steve Stewart will be filling in for Hoard on WLW's UC basketball broadcast.

savafan
11-09-2006, 05:18 PM
I guess Steve is still in town per Trent Rosecrans UC Bearcats blog:

interesting...

redsfan30
11-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Basketball might be a good avenue for Steve. Constant action will really show off his play-by-play skills.

Matt700wlw
11-09-2006, 05:39 PM
I'll be off work by the time it goes on the air, but I'll have to give it a listen before I go out...

KittyDuran
11-09-2006, 10:19 PM
I guess Steve is still in town per Trent Rosecrans UC Bearcats blog:Thanks for the heads up... I'll be listening! :thumbup:

jnwohio
11-10-2006, 02:10 AM
In response to a question, Marty said on the Reds Hot Stove League program Wednesday (8 NOV) that he had talked to Steve Stewart earlier in the day. According to Marty, Steve is in the running for a couple of different oppurtunities involving baseball at the major league level in other cities. Marty concluded by saying that "everyone" is hoping one of these works out for Steve so he could continue his career as an MLB broadcaster.

Ron Madden
11-10-2006, 04:03 AM
I thought Steve's farewell was honest and sincere.

I'll always be a Steve Stewart fan, Steve has Class.