PDA

View Full Version : Will Griffey start 2007 in Centerfield?

WMR
10-03-2006, 03:02 PM
I'm going to say that he will NOT.

Interested to hear others thoughts, but I truly believe Krivsky will not allow Griffey to be the CF'er in 07.

If he does, he will have lost almost all credibility in my eyes.

How hollow will his proclamations of the importance of defense ring if his CF'er has the worst zone rating of any CF'er in the major leagues?

BuckeyeRedleg
10-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Denorfia should already be penciled in, but like I said in the other thread, I don't think they have the nerve to upset Jr.

If he's healthy, Jr is your opening day CF. I vote "yes".

Super.

BRM
I voted no although I won't be surprised if he does. I really don't see how Krivsky can allow him to play CF while preaching how important defense is.

redsfan30
Unless they find another option out of the system, yes he will.

BRM
10-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Unless they find another option out of the system, yes he will.

Well, there are better options in-house but I tend to agree with you. It will likely take a "name" player from outside the Reds system to force the change.

Strikes Out Looking
10-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Will and should are not the same thing.

KronoRed
10-03-2006, 03:45 PM
No doubt in my mind he will.

Ltlabner
10-03-2006, 04:27 PM
This is 100% pure tea leaf reading.

But I think the recient spate of articles where Jr proclaims that he will be in CF may backfire on him. Narron would prob bend to Jr's demands, but no so sure about Krivsky.

But I think the person Jr should be warry of upsetting is BC. I have absoutley nothing to base this on other than a gut fealing, but he doesn't strike me as the type of person who likes issues played out in the press. And with a player of Jr's caliber, BC would get involved in a heartbeat, IMO.

Like I said, it's total shot in the dark, but if Jr overplays his hand it might hurt his case more than help.

Hap
10-03-2006, 04:41 PM
He will be in center.

And Jim Bowden will be chuckling somewhere.

BRM
10-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Could the Reds live with Junior in CF if Freel and Deno are playing the corners? Would all the range in RF and LF help offset the severe lack of it in CF? Just curious.

edabbs44
10-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Well, there are better options in-house but I tend to agree with you. It will likely take a "name" player from outside the Reds system to force the change.

And that's a big problem. When the passengers start driving the bus, they are going to miss a few stops.

reds44
10-03-2006, 05:44 PM
I hope not.

I have a sinking feeling that he will though.

RedsManRick
10-03-2006, 07:06 PM
I voted yes, begrudingly. I really hope not, but I just don't have faith that they'll force the move.

Highlifeman21
10-03-2006, 09:49 PM
If I could have just 1 birthday wish, or christmas wish, or something along those lines.... please please please no Junior in CF in 2007.

Maybe the tooth fairy could hook us up.

WMR
01-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Anyone feel like changing their vote?

Danny Serafini
01-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Griffey is more powerful than Krivsky or Narron. If he wants to play center, he'll play center.

redsfan30
01-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Until they have a better option (outside the organization), he's in center.

fearofpopvol1
01-10-2007, 10:20 PM
This is 100% pure tea leaf reading.

But I think the recient spate of articles where Jr proclaims that he will be in CF may backfire on him. Narron would prob bend to Jr's demands, but no so sure about Krivsky.

But I think the person Jr should be warry of upsetting is BC. I have absoutley nothing to base this on other than a gut fealing, but he doesn't strike me as the type of person who likes issues played out in the press. And with a player of Jr's caliber, BC would get involved in a heartbeat, IMO.

Like I said, it's total shot in the dark, but if Jr overplays his hand it might hurt his case more than help.

The problem with this is, it is a managerial decision, not a GM decision and it will be treated as such.

DoogMinAmo
01-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Until they have a better option (outside the organization), he's in center.

You said that already. :p:

I hope so much that Junior is not in center, that I have actually come to believe he won't be.

redsfan30
01-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I guess I did say that, didn't I?

:laugh:

Natty Redlocks
01-10-2007, 11:07 PM
He will be in center. But if God answers prayers, it will be for the Chicago Cubs.

jbran1114
01-11-2007, 04:57 AM
Could the Reds live with Junior in CF if Freel and Deno are playing the corners? Would all the range in RF and LF help offset the severe lack of it in CF? Just curious.

The Dunner needs somewhere to kick it, and we all know he is not picking up for lack o range.

Ron Madden
01-11-2007, 05:32 AM
I voted yes, begrudingly. I really hope not, but I just don't have faith that they'll force the move.

Ditto.

jojo
01-11-2007, 01:13 PM
I'd take it a step further... Jr. shouldn't even be in the outfield and we should be asking whether or not he is done....

I fear this upcoming season because I have always been a fan of Jr and I don't want to watch him fall off the cliff... factoring in his defense from center last year, he probably was replacement level in '06. Why should we expect a resurgence with his bat in '07?

I'd stick him at first and try to minimize the wear and tear on his body.

M2
01-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Inertia demands that Jr. remain in CF.

RichRed
01-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Ditto.

Double ditto.

BoydsOfSummer
01-11-2007, 03:41 PM
if it's gonna take "someone from outside the organization" to displace Junior. I am willing to authorize a trade for Curtis Granderson.

Degenerate39
01-12-2007, 08:33 AM
Since he broke his throwing hand I would and since he needs to be there any way I want him in Right field. But I'm willing to bet good money that he's in Centerfield this season.

Triples
01-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Here are couple of options:

1.)Trade Jr to an American League team (where presumably, if he didn't have the wear and tear on his body playing D he could DH for another couple of years) for a good young pitching prosepect or a front line starter. With his departure put Freel in center (he was a one man highlight film in 06) Denoforia in right/left and Dunn in Right/left.

2.) Keep Jr and put him in left, Freel in center and Denorfia in right. Unload Dunn for a good young pitcher (I would also say "or a front line starter but I wonder what WK could get for all those Ks and a batting average lower than Dunns weight.). :eek:

jojo
01-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Here are couple of options:

1.)Trade Jr to an American League team (where presumably, if he didn't have the wear and tear on his body playing D he could DH for another couple of years) for a good young pitching prosepect or a front line starter.

At this point, all the Reds would get in return is a marginal player and the Reds would have to pick up a significant portion of Jr's remaining contract. In essence, you'd eat alot to save what you could. He's about as untradeable now as anybody.

2.) Keep Jr and put him in left, Freel in center and Denorfia in right. Unload Dunn for a good young pitcher (I would also say "or a front line starter but I wonder what WK could get for all those Ks and a batting average lower than Dunns weight.). :eek:

While I agree with the sentiment that Dunn's trade value is at an all time low, it's still magnitudes higher than Griffey's at this point.

tbball10
01-12-2007, 11:57 AM
he shouldnt even be considered for the starting centerfielder, but he will start there.

RedLegSuperStar
01-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Yes, on Opening Day Junior will be the CF'er. That's not saying he won't get looks in RF during Spring Training.

FREEL #6
01-14-2007, 03:29 PM
If They Start Him In Centerfield They Need To Have There Heads Examined.im Sorry But Ryan Is The Best Hustler They Have And He Should Be In Centerfield,he Can Get To Any Ball Rightcenter Or Leftcenter And That Is A Fact.and He Needs To Play Everyday Griffey Can Go To Right.i Dont Care Weather They Hurt Is Feelings Or Not We Are Trying To Win A Pennant Here.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

paintmered
01-14-2007, 03:38 PM
If They Start Him In Centerfield They Need To Have There Heads Examined.im Sorry But Ryan Is The Best Hustler They Have And He Should Be In Centerfield,he Can Get To Any Ball Rightcenter Or Leftcenter And That Is A Fact.and He Needs To Play Everyday Griffey Can Go To Right.i Dont Care Weather They Hurt Is Feelings Or Not We Are Trying To Win A Pennant Here.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two things:

1) Proper capitalization makes posts easier to read.
2) There's no need to shout here. Good, original thoughts mean your posts get read, not excessive punctuation.

Handofdeath
01-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Griffey is more powerful than Krivsky or Narron. If he wants to play center, he'll play center.

At this point, I really wonder if that's true. From what I read here and elsewhere the vast majority of fans do not want Jr. in CF. I also don't think that Griffey is more powerful but I do think he is more popular. More for what he was than is though. Reds fans are smart and I don't think there would be a public backlash if the Reds tried to move JR to RF and he resisted. If I were Krivsky I would probably try to trade him to the AL but if that couldn't be done I would just tell him, "We are moving you to RF and Freel is going to CF." If he didn't like it so be it.

David Cubbedge
01-15-2007, 03:22 PM
Until Narron is fired, Griffey will be the Reds CF.

M2
01-15-2007, 04:48 PM
At this point, I really wonder if that's true. From what I read here and elsewhere the vast majority of fans do not want Jr. in CF. I also don't think that Griffey is more powerful but I do think he is more popular. More for what he was than is though. Reds fans are smart and I don't think there would be a public backlash if the Reds tried to move JR to RF and he resisted. If I were Krivsky I would probably try to trade him to the AL but if that couldn't be done I would just tell him, "We are moving you to RF and Freel is going to CF." If he didn't like it so be it.

To be even more succinct, Jr.'s only got as much power as the team gives him. All the team has to do is go to him and say they need him to move to RF. If a courteous explanation doesn't sway him then all they need to do is tell him that it's not a choice he's being given.

RedFanAlways1966
01-17-2007, 07:41 AM
Griffey willing to give right field a try
Manager Jerry Narron: 'He wants to do what's best for the Cincinnati Reds.'
By Hal McCoy

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

CINCINNATI The expected news is that Ken Griffey Jr. remains on schedule to be ready for spring training. The unexpected news is that right field may be in his future for the Cincinnati Reds.

Griffey and manager Jerry Narron have talked about the possibility of Griffey switching to right field and Griffey is open-minded about the possibility.

"Griffey is very open to doing what he can do to be on the field more," Narron said. "He realizes that Kirby Puckett moved (to right field) and that Cal Ripken, Jr. moved to third base.

"He wants to do what is best for the Cincinnati Reds," Narron added. "He realizes that to be on the field more he has to change positions."

Before moving, Griffey wants to be certain somebody better can play center field, the position Griffey has played since signing his first major-league contract in 1987.

Narron probably will play Ryan Freel and others in center and have Griffey play some right field the first couple weeks of spring training.

Said Narron, "If we started spring training tomorrow, Griffey would be in center field, but right field in spring training is a possibility.

"He was deeply disappointed that he missed September (dislocated toe on his right foot) in that we came so close and he wasn't able to help," Narron added. "I don't like to talk about what my players and I talk about, but I was very pleased with the way he sounded when we talked about this some late last year."

When the Reds report in mid-February, Griffey will be ready to play, according to team medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek.

X-rays showed that Griffey's broken left hand is healing as anticipated, and the hard cast was removed and replaced by a removable splint that the Reds' outfielder will wear for two weeks.

Griffey broke his hand three weeks ago while playing with his son, Trey, at their Florida home.

"It truly was nothing sinister," said Griffey's Cincinnati-based agent, Brian Goldberg. "It was a family thing, playing in the backyard with his kids and has nothing to do with a dirt bike. He wants to tell all the beat writers at one time what happened."

Chip R
01-17-2007, 09:44 AM
To be even more succinct, Jr.'s only got as much power as the team gives him. All the team has to do is go to him and say they need him to move to RF. If a courteous explanation doesn't sway him then all they need to do is tell him that it's not a choice he's being given.

Yeah. I'm not sure how much power he really has. Lindner and JimBo are out of power or gone. He's got this year and next and then it's up to the Reds whether he comes back. Most fans feel he should move and if he resists, it looks like he's whining which never goes over well. The media is good to him when things are going well but don't usually support him whole-heartedly when things arent going well so he can't expect one of his bo-bos in the media to stick up for him. Freel is about as popular as he is now so it's not like Freel's some hired gun from out of town who came in to take his position away from him. Jr.'s fighting a losing battle if he resists too much.

dfs
01-17-2007, 09:47 AM
I can't begin to express how glad I am that McCoy wrote that.

Despite the complaining here, that's a decent offseason.
He assembled a bullpen.
He got a shortstop.
He got Junior out of center.
He signed a defensive centerfielder (Crosby) to compete with the other two that he already had on the roster.
He didn't panic and trade Dunn.
He saved some money by swapping out the expensive catcher at the end of the bench who was going to whine about pt, for a less expensive option.
He made some decent ruleV and waiver pickups.
He didn't lose anybody off the 40 man roster with a major league future.
He signed a righthanded outfield/first base platoon bat.
He brought in a couple of guys to push for the fifth starter slot.
He's got decent cost control over just about everybody on the team for the next two years.
He avoided arbitration with his 4 starter and his catcher.

He didn't do all those things in the way that I would have done it, but he did a lot. Now if he can get Harang's signature on a 3 year deal, and he actually signs his draft picks, the offseason is a solid B+.

NCRed
01-17-2007, 10:06 AM
If Jr will move to RF - lets go get a CF. Since the Phillies want to get rid of Leiber and want bull-pen in return. Shane Victorino would be my target.

Deno + Coffey = Leiber + Victorino

BRM
01-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Said Narron, "If we started spring training tomorrow, Griffey would be in center field, but right field in spring training is a possibility.

That sentence still bothers me somewhat. It tells me that unless Wayne acquires someone from outside the organization, Junior likely stays in CF. Apparently, Jerry doesn't view Freel or Deno as better in-house options in CF than Junior.

flyer85
01-17-2007, 11:03 AM
That sentence still bothers me somewhat. It tells me that unless Wayne acquires someone from outside the organization, Junior likely stays in CF. Apparently, Jerry doesn't view Freel or Deno as better in-house options in CF than Junior.The truth is that no one in management has a big enough pair to tell Jr where he will play.

Ron Madden
01-18-2007, 02:29 AM
The truth is that no one in management has a big enough pair to tell Jr where he will play.

I agree. What a mess?

Problems like these should be solved by the GM and Field Manager long before they become so obvious to the fanbase. (Or incompetent Beat Writers)

WMR
04-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Is it the injury that led to this result or would it have happened regardless of KGJ wrestling with his kids?

KronoRed
04-23-2007, 10:31 PM
So how many of you have voted NO since opening day? ;)

WMR
04-23-2007, 10:32 PM
LOL well there has been at least 1 so far because I tagged it at 56 when I bumped the thread. :laugh:

camisadelgolf
04-24-2007, 03:10 AM
I just voted "No".

redsmetz
04-24-2007, 08:25 AM
I just voted "No".

How prescient of you. :laugh:

membengal
04-24-2007, 10:54 AM
I voted "no" last night.