PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Jesus, a positive Adam Dunn article

reds44
10-03-2006, 05:54 PM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061002/SPT04/310020031/1071

PITTSBURGH – Adam Dunn was told he was getting the final day of the season off.

But because Norris Hopper had a sore hamstring, Dunn was out there after some chiding of Hopper.

“I got my invite to spring training,” Dunn said.

Dunn played for the 160th time in 162 games. It’s the third straight year he’s hit the 160-game mark.

The Reds, by the way, lost to the Pirates 1-0. The only significance is the Reds finished 80-82, so the streak of losing seasons goes to six.

“It’s hurtful,” Reds manager Jerry Narron said. “but not as hurtful as not making the postseason.”

Dunn was one of two regulars who played in the game. You can question a lot of things about Dunn – and fans do so constantly – but you can’t question his durability or his willingness to play hurt.

There’s the possibility that Sunday’s season finale could have been Dunn’s last game as a Red.

If general manager Wayne Krivsky wants to continue to remake the club -- and indications are he does -- Dunn is the biggest chip to trade.

Krivsky has traded three players like Dunn -- big swingers with a tendency to strike out -- for pitching.

“I don’t worry about it,” he said. “I’ve said it every time I’ve heard my name mentioned about a trade. I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.”

Dunn, 26, had his worst year since 2003. He hit .234 with 40 home runs and 92 RBI and struck out 194 times. In 2005, he hit .247 with 40 home runs and 101 RBI and struck out 166 times.

Dunn’s season was ruined by an awful September. He hit .157 for the month. He had 87 RBI through 126 games. He had five in the last 36 games.

Narron was asked if there was anything Dunn could do different to avoid such a bad September.

“I think I can help,” Narron said. “I think I can give him some time off during the year better than I have. I think if plays maybe 145 or 150 games instead of 160, there’s a possibility that his September will be better.

“That’s something I’ve got to do. I’m not making an excuse for him.”

Dunn never makes excuses for himself. He is as self-deprecating as they come.

When the scoreboard picture at Dolphins Stadium showed him with a handlebar mustache, Dunn threatened to grow one.

“If you play like an ass, you might as well look like an ass,” he said.

Ken Griffey Jr. overheard the remark and said: “Don’t say that. You’re hurting my feelings.”

Griffey thinks Dunn should ease up on Dunn a bit.

“He’s too hard on himself only because he wants to do well,” Griffey said. “If he wasn’t that hard on himself, it would mean he didn’t care. That is the furthest thing from the truth. Adam cares about the way he hits, the way he fields, the way he runs the bases. He cares.”

But Dunn is the guy fans love to hate.

“He takes a lot of abuse out in the outfield,” Griffey said. “He goes out there and gives it a solid effort. No one can say he’s not out there trying.”

Dunn will occasionally fire back at critics, but mostly he just takes it.

“You always want to fire back,” he said. “I don’t care. I don’t play for them. They expect a lot of me. That’s fine.”

But Dunn bristles at the notion that he doesn’t give it his best effort or doesn’t work hard.

“I wouldn’t play 160 games if I wasn’t trying,” he said. “You have work hard to play 160 games and do it every year you’ve got to be doing something to keep your body right. I work to keep my body in shape to keep me in there for 160 games. That’s pretty good.”

Narron says he’s been satisfied with Dunn’s effort.

“People want him to run out on the field like Ryan Freel,” Narron said. “He’s not going to do that. Even if he does that, he’s not going to look like Ryan Freel. The guy’s 6-6, 270 pounds.”

This was Dunn’s first foray into meaningful September baseball. He’s learned something from it.

“I think a lot of it had to do with me trying to do much, maybe trying to hard,” he said. “Other than that, I don’t know. Physically, I’m fine. I’ve got no excuse there.”

There he goes again.

“He is so hard on himself, harder than anyone else,” Griffey said. “But that’s the way you have to be to play this game.”

kbrake
10-03-2006, 06:41 PM
Go figure the article doesnt mention how lazy he is and we have zero responses.

flyer85
10-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Go figure the article doesnt mention how lazy he isthey missed him sleeping between innings and crawling out to his position

oneupper
10-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Dunn had a bad year. It happens.
Bench had several bad years (1971, 1976).
Perez and Concepcion, also.
Even Ted Williams had bad years (although I'd take one of those anyday)

He gets a pass from me till April. :)

Joseph
10-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Dunn didn't accomplish what was hoped/expected for him. I still want him on the team next season unless you get something better than Dunn by trading him.

redsfanmia
10-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Go figure the article doesnt mention how lazy he is and we have zero responses.

I am from Missouri so Dunn has to show me that he is not lazy. Adam pick up your glove/bat in the off season, lose 30 lbs, cut down on your swing and I will believe the content of this article.

GAC
10-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Krivsky has traded three players like Dunn -- big swingers with a tendency to strike out -- for pitching.

I know of Kearns and Pena (even though they have never put up the consistent numbers of a Dunn), but who is the 3rd? Lopez? That's a stretch IMO.

Actually folks, I had it figured out a long time ago. The only reason Dunn hits Hrs is so he can take his time running around the bases. ;)

George Foster
10-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Poor Dunn....bless his heart:cry: :cry: :cry:

kbrake
10-03-2006, 09:50 PM
I have often wondered why Dunn wants to play in Cincinnati. I will admit I was kind of suprised when he signed the new deal at the start of the year. I'm sure he hears 700 and reads the papers I dont know why he wants to be here. Anyone think he would get it this bad no matter where he played?

paintmered
10-03-2006, 09:53 PM
I have often wondered why Dunn wants to play in Cincinnati. I will admit I was kind of suprised when he signed the new deal at the start of the year. I'm sure he hears 700 and reads the papers I dont know why he wants to be here. Anyone think he would get it this bad no matter where he played?

I don't know about everywhere, but I do know Philly treated Abreu the same way.

Joseph
10-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Anyone think he would get it this bad no matter where he played?

Yes. The city and fans of Cincinnati hardly have a monopoly on complaining about our players.

kbrake
10-03-2006, 10:30 PM
I know I just feel like Dunn takes way more than his fair share.

Cyclone792
10-03-2006, 10:46 PM
I think most A's fans wouldn't have any problem with Dunn, and in my experience all the A's fans that I know salivate over him and wish he was in in an Oakland uniform.

Giants fans know how valuable Bonds and all his walks have been so I tend to think they'd understand and appreciate Dunn's game with his walks and on-base percentage.

This is somewhat of an educated guess, but I think he'd be more popular in San Diego than most other places too.

Boston would be an interesting city, for sure. They have a cult following over at SOSH, and most of the posters over at SOSH have a very strong understanding of how runs are produced. Most of them seem to like Wily Mo because they understand Wily Mo's power and age while also not caring too much about his strikeouts.

Philadelphia would probably be the place where Dunn would be hated the most. Dunn would probably top Abreu and Burrell on the Phillies Phans Hate List, and that'd be an impressive accomplishment.

edabbs44
10-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Dunn didn't accomplish what was hoped/expected for him. I still want him on the team next season unless you get something better than Dunn by trading him.

Did McCarver post this? I think everyone wants Dunn on next year's team UNLESS Wayne trades him and gets something better than Dunn...

edabbs44
10-03-2006, 11:02 PM
Dunn had a bad year. It happens.
Bench had several bad years (1971, 1976).
Perez and Concepcion, also.
Even Ted Williams had bad years (although I'd take one of those anyday)

He gets a pass from me till April. :)

Dunn's "bad" year wasn't all that bad compared to last year. He was at least in the ballpark in most offensive categories relative to 2005. Look at Bench's '71 season compared to his 2 MVP seasons surrounding it. Now that would be considered a bad year, though with JB his defense more than compensated for it.

I think the issue is that he isn't improving and, in some respects, he is regressing.

2004: .266/.388/.569 with 46 HR, 102 RBI, 105 R
2005: .247/.388/.540 with 40 HR, 101 RBI, 107 R
2006: .234/.365/.490 with 40 HR, 92 RBI, 99 R

Dunn is still young so most people (including myself) would have thought that his 2004 season would be the tip of the iceberg at age 24. But he hasn't built on that season at all.

Johnny Footstool
10-04-2006, 09:23 AM
I am from Missouri so Dunn has to show me that he is not lazy. Adam pick up your glove/bat in the off season, lose 30 lbs, cut down on your swing and I will believe the content of this article.

He showed you in 2004 and 2005. All that mercury in the Missouri water supply must have left you with a short-term memory. :D

Poor Dunn....bless his heart:cry: :cry: :cry:

:rolleyes:

Chip R
10-04-2006, 09:45 AM
I think most A's fans wouldn't have any problem with Dunn, and in my experience all the A's fans that I know salivate over him and wish he was in in an Oakland uniform.

Giants fans know how valuable Bonds and all his walks have been so I tend to think they'd understand and appreciate Dunn's game with his walks and on-base percentage.

This is somewhat of an educated guess, but I think he'd be more popular in San Diego than most other places too.

Boston would be an interesting city, for sure. They have a cult following over at SOSH, and most of the posters over at SOSH have a very strong understanding of how runs are produced. Most of them seem to like Wily Mo because they understand Wily Mo's power and age while also not caring too much about his strikeouts.

Philadelphia would probably be the place where Dunn would be hated the most. Dunn would probably top Abreu and Burrell on the Phillies Phans Hate List, and that'd be an impressive accomplishment.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. These other cities don't see Dunn every day. They see the Sportscenter highlights and the stats but unless you see him day in and day out you don't see his faults first hand. I think people are pretty much the same everywhere and I think no matter where Dunn played, he'd be criticized for the same things he's criticized here. Perhaps on a team like the Yankees where they already have 3-4 big stars, he might slip under the radar but it's a big city with a lot of media so I'm guessing he'd be in for some ciriticism there too but it might get lost in the shuffle.

Blimpie
10-04-2006, 10:02 AM
I don't know about everywhere, but I do know Philly treated Abreu the same way.Yeah, I never quite figured that one out. Phillies fans ran Abreu out of town on a rail and cheered when he was gone. Careful what you wish for, Reds fans.

Chip R
10-04-2006, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I never quite figured that one out. Phillies fans ran Abreu out of town on a rail and cheered when he was gone. Careful what you wish for, Reds fans.

Think Howard will turn out the same way?

KoryMac5
10-04-2006, 11:01 AM
I like Adam always have thought he and Kearns would both be here for awhile but 6ft6 275lbs is not helping him improve his play. He has put on more weight every year he has been here and it has affected his speed on the bases and in the field. It would be nice to see a slimmer Dunn this upcoming spring training. It also would be nice to rest the guy 15 games or so. It would take a lot from a team to make me trade Adam.

westofyou
10-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Think Howard will turn out the same way?

Let's ask Richie Allen.

RFS62
10-05-2006, 06:33 AM
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. These other cities don't see Dunn every day. They see the Sportscenter highlights and the stats but unless you see him day in and day out you don't see his faults first hand. I think people are pretty much the same everywhere and I think no matter where Dunn played, he'd be criticized for the same things he's criticized here. Perhaps on a team like the Yankees where they already have 3-4 big stars, he might slip under the radar but it's a big city with a lot of media so I'm guessing he'd be in for some ciriticism there too but it might get lost in the shuffle.

I agree. Great post.

:beerme:

RANDY IN INDY
10-05-2006, 07:44 AM
I'll second that. Nice post, Chip.

GAC
10-05-2006, 09:15 PM

I don't know of too many ballplayers, with high expectations, who would get lost in the shuffle in New York. Especially if they don't play up to their (NY fans) expectations.

Arod says Hi! :wave:

Chip R
10-06-2006, 10:24 AM
I don't know of too many ballplayers, with high expectations, who would get lost in the shuffle in New York. Especially if they don't play up to their (NY fans) expectations.

Arod says Hi! :wave:

That's my point. When you have guys who get attention like ARod, Jeter, Sheffield, Giambi and Damon on the team with Steinbrenner upstairs and Torre in the dugout, a ballplayer who may have been not only unappreciated but reviled in one place could go to a team like the Yankees and no matter what he did, the focus would be off him. Gee, I wonder if that's ever happened? cough...Bobby Abreau...cough.

NJReds
10-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Gee, I wonder if that's ever happened? cough...Bobby Abreau...cough.

Bobby Abreu walked into Yankee Stadium and started tearing the cover off the ball from the second he arrived. Yes, he was embraced.

If Dunn was in NY and had a season like what we just went through, they'd be comparing him to Kevin Maas and Steve Balboni.

Chip R
10-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Bobby Abreu walked into Yankee Stadium and started tearing the cover off the ball from the second he arrived. Yes, he was embraced.

If Dunn was in NY and had a season like what we just went through, they'd be comparing him to Kevin Maas and Steve Balboni.

And that's true. Abreau did hit rather well for the Yankees when he came over. But even if he didn't or doesn't play well, the media is so fixated on all the other players and non-players that while he would be criticized, it wouldn't be as bad as it would be in a smaller city where there's more focus on one or two individuals. Yesterday Sheffield went 0-4 with 3 Ks and left 3 guys on base. But all we hear is how ARod failed again. I'm not saying an underperforming player on a team like the Yankees would be immune to criticism but it wouldn't be as bad as it would be on a team with fewer big names.

GAC
10-06-2006, 12:26 PM

I heard they jerked Balboni's passport, and he is no longer allowed in NYC. ;)

I remember when he played at Columbus. Another minor league phenom who couldn't pan out at the ML level.

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 12:58 PM
The media in New York would even out and not be too much of a difference for Dunn.

The fans -- the in-person, vocal fans, not the ones running around on the computer -- would.

TeamBoone
10-06-2006, 02:27 PM
The fans -- the in-person, vocal fans, not the ones running around on the computer -- would.

From what Jr. said in the article, they're already doing that right here in Cincinnati, especially those sitting in left field.

Chip R
10-06-2006, 02:34 PM
From what Jr. said in the article, they're already doing that right here in Cincinnati, especially those sitting in left field.

That's probably true. VP would know more about this than I would but I'm thinking that the abuse would be worse in NYC than here.

NJReds
10-06-2006, 02:58 PM
That's probably true. VP would know more about this than I would but I'm thinking that the abuse would be worse in NYC than here.

I don't know. I've sat in the bleachers at Yankee Stadium...they are absolutely brutal on the opponents, but don't seem too bad on the home time. They'll give a guy a hard time if he flubs a catch or something like that. The talk shows can get harsh, and the media is much, much tougher than Cincy's.

The Anit-ARod sentiment is the worst that I've seen against any one "home" player in recent memory. The last guy that was disliked as much as ARod was probably Andy Hawkins. The fans didn't like Tino Martinez when he first arrived because they loved Donny "Baseball" Mattingly so much, but now Tino's an icon.

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 03:00 PM

I think it would. There would be no holding back in the type of language used or the amount or loudness of yelling. And this is no between-innings or batter's-warming-up-only abuse; they're not going to shut up just because he's in the middle of fielding or batting. Also, you have the simple fact that it would sound louder and more abusive since there is typically a sold out 55,000-person crowd in Yankee Stadium and only five people in Great American Ballpark.

I'm not necessarily criticizing New York fans for this; if Adam Dunn suffered this kind of ribbing there, he would also enjoy directly proportionate love when he did well, from the fans and the city. I think you just have to have a certain shield and BS filter to be able to put up with it all around.

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 03:03 PM
I don't know. I've sat in the bleachers at Yankee Stadium...they are absolutely brutal on the opponents, but don't seem too bad on the home time. They'll give a guy a hard time if he flubs a catch or something like that.

For as much as the bleachers have a reputation for being home of low-lifes in stadiums across the nations, I actually think the bleachers at Yankee Stadium are the most civilized place there. This is no doubt due in part to the fact that you can no longer drink there.

I think the stands are more harsh. Over by the left field line and at the plate is where I think he'd suffer most. But I will say this for fans, which kind of goes along with what you said: they are intensely into the game, they're not usually there just to get drunk and have a good time. So when a good play is made or whatever, they appreciate it and can turn on a dime.

NJReds
10-06-2006, 03:20 PM
For as much as the bleachers have a reputation for being home of low-lifes in stadiums across the nations, I actually think the bleachers at Yankee Stadium are the most civilized place there. This is no doubt due in part to the fact that you can no longer drink there.

Now if he played at Shea, all bets are off...:help: