PDA

View Full Version : Add Buck Showalter to the list.

redsfan30
10-04-2006, 10:48 AM
ESPN has reported Buck Showalter has been fired by the Texas Rangers.

Add him to the list of managers who have been chopped off.

Chip R
10-04-2006, 10:52 AM
I'm a bit surprised that dude from Toronto hasn't gotten the boot yet. I'm now going to call my bookie and have him place money on the Rangers to win it all next year. ;)

redsmetz
10-04-2006, 11:11 AM
I'm a bit surprised that dude from Toronto hasn't gotten the boot yet. I'm now going to call my bookie and have him place money on the Rangers to win it all next year. ;)

That would be the pattern. It reminds me of my brother-in-law who is a journalist. He joined the Akron Beacon Journal and shortly thereafter they won the Pullitzer Prize for stories run just before he came over. He then went to the Dallas Morning News and sure enough, the same thing happened, again for stories reported prior to his arrival. He jested that he ought to be on his resume, "You may be next!". He did return to the Beacon Journal where he led the team that one their most recent Pullitzer Prize, so he had a definite hand in that one!

Puffy
10-04-2006, 11:21 AM
You think they might want Narron back? Please? Take him back?

corkedbat
10-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Beat me to it Puffy! We'll throw in Milton - no charge! :D

Unassisted
10-04-2006, 01:51 PM
I'd been thinking that Joe Girardi might be a breath of fresh air in Arlington after Showalter. Obviously, management there favors a stern taskmaster at the helm, so I could see it happening.

Matt700wlw
10-04-2006, 04:37 PM
I'm sure Thom and Marty are not upset by this news :)

guttle11
10-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Fire Narron, Hire Buck, Fire Buck after next year and viola! World Series title for the Reds in 08.

Matt700wlw
10-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Fire Narron, Hire Buck, Fire Buck after next year and viola! World Series title for the Reds in 08.

Then find me two pregame show segments in place of the manager's comments :lol:

Unassisted
10-06-2006, 01:28 PM
I'd been thinking that Joe Girardi might be a breath of fresh air in Arlington after Showalter. Obviously, management there favors a stern taskmaster at the helm, so I could see it happening.

I read in today's paper that Girardi is a candidate for this job. Of course that might be idle newspaper speculation or wishful thinking.

The word in the article was that the Rangers are looking for a replacement who falls somewhere between disciplinarian Showalter and "laid-back Jerry Narron."

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 03:06 PM
I've heard quite a bit of gossip about Girardi to Washington as well.

Chip R
10-06-2006, 03:12 PM
I've heard quite a bit of gossip about Girardi to Washington as well.

I wouldn't doubt it but rumor had it that a main conflict Girardi had while in Florida was that he wanted more of a say in player personnel. JimBo has always been one to not let his manager have a lot of say so in that matter. I could see Big Dust going to D.C. before Girardi but I could be mistaken.

Matt700wlw
10-06-2006, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't doubt it but rumor had it that a main conflict Girardi had while in Florida was that he wanted more of a say in player personnel. JimBo has always been one to not let his manager have a lot of say so in that matter. I could see Big Dust going to D.C. before Girardi but I could be mistaken.

Maybe Bowden will give Bob Boone another shot...

RFS62
10-06-2006, 03:32 PM

http://www.avashow.com/content/ermey/ermey_01.jpg

Chip R
10-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Maybe Bowden will give Bob Boone another shot...

That was my thinking too. But I would think JimBo would try to land Dusty since he wouldn't get raked over the coals by the D.C. media over it. Papa Boone could be a fallback choice.