Redsfan08
10-04-2006, 06:49 PM
does anyone know if that is true.:confused:

Tom Servo
10-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Giants not likely to revisit Baker
By Andrew Baggarly
Mercury News

Should the Giants come calling about their managerial vacancy, Dusty Baker is willing to forgive and forget, his business manager said Tuesday.

"Dusty has an open mind,'' Steve Skelly said of Baker, whose contract was not renewed by the Chicago Cubs. "He's always had an open mind. I think it's a matter of what the Giants want.''

Signals are strong that the Giants aren't eager to renew ties with Baker, who left amid hard feelings after the club's World Series run in 2002. But they have not dismissed the possibility.

Giants General Manager Brian Sabean is looking more toward a fresh start, either with an established manager such as Bob Brenly or Lou Piniella, or with a polished candidate who has managed in the minor leagues and served on a big league coaching staff.

Several men fit the profile and also have connections to Sabean from his eight seasons as a scout with the New York Yankees. Among them are Cleveland Indians bench coach Joel Skinner, A's bench coach Bob Geren and Cincinnati Reds hitting coach Chris Chambliss.

Los Angeles Angels pitching coach Bud Black is another who will be considered, though the Giants' senior staff is heavy on former pitchers and the team might feel better served with a field leader who has a position player's background.

Others without bench experience, such as former Giant Stan Javier, would be longer shots.

Sabean is collecting recommendations and has not begun contacting clubs for permission to interview candidates. The only confirmed candidate is Giants bench coach Ron Wotus.

Sabean said he plans to operate off a short list in order to complete the process quickly "so the manager or coaching staff can give us input as we reconstruct the team, especially on our free agents.''

The Giants face one potential hang-up, though. They must sell the job to candidates who won't know whether they'll inherit Barry Bonds.

If Bonds' difficult personality isn't enough of a deterrent to occupy the manager's office, there is this unsavory thought: twice-a-day sessions with a media crush asking steroid-related questions leading up to the all-time home run record.

Bonds, who is a free agent, has 734 career home runs and is 22 away from breaking Hank Aaron's all-time record.

Two players under contract to return, Omar Vizquel and Mark Sweeney, said they wouldn't mind some fire from whoever replaces Felipe Alou.

"We need more intensity,'' Vizquel said Sunday. "I'm not saying Felipe was not. He was really intense during the game.''

Alou wasn't so intense in the clubhouse. Several players were upset that Alou continued to pitch Armando Benitez in save situations after the troubled closer disrespected teammates on the field and in the media. Alou reportedly wanted Benitez off the roster, but was rebuffed by upper management.

"I think intensity comes from knowing whatever the manager says, goes,'' Sweeney said. "That's energizing. Our pitching coach (Dave Righetti) is that way. When you come into the clubhouse, you know it's work time and you've got to do your job. You've got to bring that passion.

"I don't necessarily blame Felipe on that. I blame the people who didn't understand they're getting paid a lot to do their job.''

Yet Sweeney cautioned that the Giants shouldn't hire the biggest firebrand they can find, either.

"Felipe's strength was that he let his players play,'' Sweeney said. "I've played in places where you're stressed out when you walk through the (clubhouse) door, especially if you're not playing well. You strike out and the next day the manager and coaches walk right by you with their heads down.

"We didn't have that atmosphere here and I think that's a tribute to what Felipe did and who he is as a man.''

redsfan30
10-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Interesting.

Team Clark
10-04-2006, 08:02 PM
If Sabean wants intense then Chambliss will not get the nod. I like Chris and I think he does a good job. However, I think he is a "token" interview. Maybe he'll be the next Davey Lopes...

Shaknb8k
10-04-2006, 08:27 PM
No one take this the wrong way but do you think he could get the interview just to have a minority in there?

Rojo
10-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Can they make the Giants take Milton or LaRue?

Redsfan08
10-04-2006, 09:00 PM

:laugh:

Unassisted
10-04-2006, 09:05 PM
No one take this the wrong way but do you think he could get the interview just to have a minority in there?
No need to apologize. MLB issues fines to clubs that neglect to interview minority candidates for a managerial opening.

LINEDRIVER
10-04-2006, 09:06 PM
WOW!!!! I'd love to see Chambliss get that gig, if you catch my drift.

reds44
10-04-2006, 09:58 PM

i agree

Falls City Beer
10-04-2006, 10:55 PM
In an absolute nest of failure, Chris Chambliss is one of the bright spots. The s-canning of coaches starts with Narron and goes from there.

Jerry has nothing on his resume, not a jot of worth.

Chambliss has rings.

George Foster
10-04-2006, 11:31 PM

The Detroit Lions actually got fined like 250K for hiring their "former" head coach without interviewing a minority. Political correctness gone a muck!!!

TOBTTReds
10-04-2006, 11:48 PM

I disagree (just felt like throwing that in there since someone agreed).

I would like it for him, but I've liked what I have seen from him in his approach.

WVRedsFan
10-05-2006, 01:18 AM

What a deal. 3 for 1. I say it's a Sunday Special and let's do it!

Now, if the Giants agree....

Nah...never mind.

Wheelhouse
10-05-2006, 01:18 AM

I think it is often forgotten that Chambliss was hitting coach for the Yanks championship run from 1996-2000, a team that top-to-bottom was one of the most disciplined at the plate, and proficient in situational hitting, that I've ever seen. The Reds have generally had one of the top offenses in the league under his tutelage. He was Eastern League Manager of the Year in 1990 at London and Southern League Manager of the Year in 1991 at Greenville. He was the Sporting News' Minor League Manager of the Year in 1990. He's a valid interview. That being said, he may be a complete zero on how to handle Major League pitchers--that's where I think he may be a weak candidate.

Wheelhouse
10-05-2006, 01:19 AM
In an absolute nest of failure, Chris Chambliss is one of the bright spots. The s-canning of coaches starts with Narron and goes from there.

Chambliss has rings.

Agreed.

WVRedsFan
10-05-2006, 01:23 AM

Chambliss has rings.

Couldn't have said it better myself, FCB. A rose among the thorns. Success breeds success. I remember when my alma mater was looking for a new football coach. The AD told me they were looking for a winner. A man who had been there and knew what it was like. Not a pig in a poke and not someone who could be molded into a winner, but a winner. And they found one.

The Reds took a career loser and ordained him "the one." Without any justification except a surprising season which immediately went sour.

Judgement is one thing you cannot teach nor can you expect. You have to have it and your past is all telling. You just have to wonder what Bobby and Waynie were thinking.

RedsBaron
10-05-2006, 06:41 AM
I think it is often forgotten that Chambliss was hitting coach for the Yanks championship run from 1996-2000, a team that top-to-bottom was one of the most disciplined at the plate, and proficient in situational hitting, that I've ever seen. The Reds have generally had one of the top offenses in the league under his tutelage. He was Eastern League Manager of the Year in 1990 at London and Southern League Manager of the Year in 1991 at Greenville. He was the Sporting News' Minor League Manager of the Year in 1990. He's a valid interview. That being said, he may be a complete zero on how to handle Major League pitchers--that's where I think he may be a weak candidate.

Good points. I'd like to see the Reds keep Chambliss.

NJReds
10-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Chris Chambliss deserves a shot at managing a big club. He's paid his dues. I hope he gets it.

RedsFanInMD
10-05-2006, 02:43 PM
I don't know if this is necessarily Chambliss' fault, but wouldn't we all agree that Dunn has somewhat regressed under his watch?

Chip R
10-05-2006, 02:45 PM
I don't know if this is necessarily Chambliss' fault, but wouldn't we all agree that Dunn has somewhat regressed under his watch?

No.

BuckU
10-05-2006, 02:46 PM

Chambliss has rings.

Agreed. And he can't change guys that are not willing to change.

dman
10-05-2006, 04:58 PM

Chambliss can only do so much for Dunn. Dunn is a big boy. Chambliss can give Dunn hints to chew on, but it is up to Dunn to digest it and make good of what Chambliss has passed along.