PDA

View Full Version : Grey's Anatomy = Awful.

Edskin
10-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Someone had to say it, might as well be me :)

http://edkleese.blogspot.com/

Red in Chicago
10-05-2006, 07:30 PM
it's the most important show this fall season;)

Falls City Beer
10-05-2006, 07:32 PM
I've never watched it. But it looks like crap.

And that doctor was once Ronald Miller from Can't Buy Me Love.

Weenus.

Edit: Okay, so now that I read the blog piece I realize that Ed covered the Ronald Miller business.

But did you know that Courtney Gaines, the guy who plays Ronald's erstwhile friend in CBML, also played "Malachai" in Children of the Corn?

Top that, Ed.

Rojo
10-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Good stuff. I've never seen the show and, after reading your piece of scathe, I never will.

Dom Heffner
10-05-2006, 07:35 PM
The thing I can't stand about these medical shows is the insistence of playing the hospital background noises: beep, beep, beep....

I had to stop watching ER because it is just too much drama to take- you've seen one emergency room operation you've seen them all, so 14 years of it gets a bit old.

Television doesn't have to be that realistic. I don't need the constant heart rate monitor sounding off to each pulse anymore than I need to see Dr. McDreamy sitting on the toilet.

Yes, I know it happens in real life, but some things we can just assume are happening without seeing them.

The second I heard the beeps on Grey's Anatomy....click.

That noise reminds of me of being in Shillito's as a kid...they used to have a beep that went over the intercom that cut through me at six years of age.

WMR
10-05-2006, 07:39 PM
I HATE THIS SHOW.

Every chick I know loves it unconditionally.

Falls City Beer
10-05-2006, 07:41 PM
That noise reminds of me of being in Shillito's as a kid...they used to have a beep that went over the intercom that cut through me at six years of age.

Oh, crap, I know that tone: like the abattoir doors had opened.

RFS62
10-05-2006, 07:44 PM
it's the most important show this fall season;)

Oh, SNAP!!

:p:

Dom Heffner
10-05-2006, 07:49 PM
Oh, crap, I know that tone: like the abattoir doors had opened.

What on earth did they use that for? Ding, ding, ding....

My Mother would drag me shopping as a kid and if we went there I would just bawl.

Also hated the trips to McAlpin's in Cherry Grove. They had a toy section the size of a shoebox. But I don't think they had that noise....

Anyway- Ed, nice job with the piece, but if sex romps bohter you, I'd stay away from Nip/Tuck.

When that show is on, I am usually reading, and I always ask my girlfriend if all they do on that show is have sex. I'll have my nose in one of my James Madison books and suddenly hear those...um...sounds, and it's like, geesh enough already.

I'm no prude, trust me, but at some point I start to wonder why I pay for Cinemax....(if Nip/Tuck were on in the early 80s, it would be ON Plus lol...)

letsgojunior
10-05-2006, 07:52 PM
I love this show. I'm so glad there's finally a show out there that doesn't demonize women for doing 1/10th of what men have done for centuries. And portrays them in an intelligent and savvy light, and makes the show about THEM and their careers and rather than having their lives revolve totally around men.

Oh, and Meredith never slept with McVet, and McDreamy never told her he was married until the second season. And Izzy didn't kill Denny - he died of a stroke.

letsgojunior
10-05-2006, 07:57 PM
And that's not even mentioning some of Grey's more positive features: 3 African American major castmembers, 1 Latina, 1 Korean.

Just out of curiousity for Ed: would you respond in the negative fashion with the equivalent of the 'w' word if this was a show about 4 guys who slept with more than one person in their entire life? Because I can't help escape the notion that some of the negative backlash towards this show (and there actually is very little - it's doing a 23-25 in the Nielsens right now), much like Sex and the City, is grounded in this extraordinarily hypocritical and distorted notion that men who have sleep with more than one person are bachelors whereas the women are the w or s word.

Edskin
10-05-2006, 08:18 PM
letsgo--

First of all, it's all a big joke. Kinda just pokin' fun at the whole explosion in popularity.

I actually find the "PC" stuff in the show to be somewhat force-fed. It's as if they are trying TOO hard to accomplish the things you mention. And if they REALLY wanted to make a show about female surgeons accomplishing great professional things, they'd leave out the other stuff all together-- but of course they can't do that because no one would watch.

As for the "W" word. I probably would not use that term to describe a man in the same situation. Your're right. And it IS a bit hypocritical, no doubt. However, it's a generalized, humor-piece about a FICTIONAL show, so everything is exxagerrated and over-the-top, both the show and my take on it.

Like I said, it's purely a joke.

Blimpie
10-05-2006, 08:22 PM
I bet that they don't do the African Anteater Dance on that show....

Falls City Beer
10-05-2006, 08:30 PM
I bet that they don't do the African Anteater Dance on that show....

This isn't American Bandstand.

And that ain't Dick Clark.

Rojo
10-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Just out of curiousity for Ed: would you respond in the negative fashion with the equivalent of the 'w' word if this was a show about 4 guys who slept with more than one person in their entire life?

Don't know about Ed, but I would. Don brought up Nip and Tuck (funny, I was going to bring it up as well). The main surgeon nails every chick who takes up a frame of film. After a while, its just parody -- along the lines of the housewife and meter-reader.

Another thing that bothers me about shows like Ally McBeal and Sex and the City is the way they do revolve around men. And those men are stereotyped, usually by their profession -- the dorky comic-book shop guy, the button-down lawyer, the flighty artist. Then they play off those stereotypes, the comic-book guy is great in bed while the agressive businessman is passive in bed, etc.... In short, its reductive garbage. Pass.

vaticanplum
10-05-2006, 09:40 PM
I've never seen this show, but from reading the blog and these posts, I have to ask: is there any medicine in it? It sounds just like a soap opera. And I'm not saying that bad -- it could be very sharp for all I know -- but it doesn't sound like it's about a hospital at all.

Remember when ER was actually about an emergency room? And it was REALLY GOOD. The first year or two, when I was in high school, everybody watched that show. Now it is an unapologetic soap opera (and not a good one). Yes, it is still one, for you disbelieving.

letsgojunior
10-05-2006, 09:45 PM
I've never seen this show, but from reading the blog and these posts, I have to ask: is there any medicine in it? It sounds just like a soap opera. And I'm not saying that bad -- it could be very sharp for all I know -- but it doesn't sound like it's about a hospital at all.

Remember when ER was actually about an emergency room? And it was REALLY GOOD. The first year or two, when I was in high school, everybody watched that show. Now it is an unapologetic soap opera (and not a good one). Yes, it is still one, for you disbelieving.

There's a TON of medicine in it. One of the stories that hit home to me most was a young girl who was obsessed with being thin. Her mother put tremendous pressure on her to be skinny. So she went to Mexico and had a gastric bypass. Turns out it seriously screwed up her intestines and had to have major reconstructive surgery.

Another good story - guy with Parkinson's, all his daughter wanted was to have him be able to walk her down the aisle at her wedding. He was extremely reluctant because he was afraid of the surgery. Finally had a procedure called DBS which if you check on google is a real procedure for Parkinson's.

The show is structured every similarly to ER, with the exception that the main character are women.

Dom Heffner
10-05-2006, 09:45 PM
I have to ask: is there any medicine in it?

I don't know but the heart machines pulse throughout...

letsgojunior
10-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Also another great story - guy with this really bad facial condition. He was so horrified to go out in public. He thought his mother was the only person who ever loved him. Turned out that he had a tumor that was causing some of his problems. He died in surgery, and the surgeon fixed his face after he died.

Unassisted
10-05-2006, 10:10 PM
Mrs. U and I stopped watching GA about midway through Season 2 when we started to feel like the show was more annoying than entertaining. We haven't regretted the choice.

vaticanplum
10-05-2006, 10:12 PM
I don't know but the heart machines pulse throughout...

:laugh:

It actually sounds good to me, but I don't think I'll watch it; the medicinal aspect makes it sound more interesting but also scarier. I have a very weak stomach when it comes to that stuff. I fainted on two separate occasions while watching ER. Two.

TeamSelig
10-05-2006, 11:09 PM
if my gf read this thread she would probably attempt to end your life

DoogMinAmo
10-06-2006, 12:46 AM
I must admit I enjoy the experience.

I usually am watching with a room full of female friends. Maybe I just enjoy the "company?" Or maybe I seriously enjoy how caught up everyone female gets in the show? Or maybe I just enjoy the drama? ( the horror!)

I dunno, but it is entertaining when it is not overly eccentric.

wolfboy
10-06-2006, 12:52 AM
Edskin,

Thank you so much for saying this. Lately, I'd been feeling like I was the only one. Your courage is an inspiration. I shudder at the mention of that terrible show.

Dom Heffner
10-06-2006, 04:04 AM
Your courage is an inspiration.

I feel like I'm watching a show from the Jerry Lewis/ Sammy Davis/ Dean Martin days.

One might expect Edskin's reply to be, "And coming from the greatest humanitarian in the world, that means so much..."

As Steve Martin pointed out in Roxanne,words don't mean anything anymore: "They've all been wasted...on the shampoo commercials, and uhh, and the ads, and uhh the flavorings. All the beautiful words. I mean, how can you, uhh, how can you love a floor wax? Uhh, how can you love a diaper? I mean how can I use the same word about you that, uh, someone else uses about a stuffing?"

:)

Rojo
10-06-2006, 04:41 AM

I usually am watching with a room full of female friends. Maybe I just enjoy the "company?" Or maybe I seriously enjoy how caught up everyone female gets in the show? Or maybe I just enjoy the drama? ( the horror!)

I dunno, but it is entertaining when it is not overly eccentric.

Francis Sweet shouldn't worry about her tomatoes.

savafan
10-06-2006, 04:51 AM
Well, I for one love this show. It holds my attention better than the modern day version of ER.

Edskin
10-06-2006, 06:08 AM
But did you know that Courtney Gaines, the guy who plays Ronald's erstwhile friend in CBML, also played "Malachai" in Children of the Corn?

I DID know he was Malachai--although I didn't know his name. I also remember him as the token white guy in the "bloods" gang in the movie Colors, starring Sean Penn and Robert Duvall. Dude, don't mess with me when it comes to 80's pop culture! :)

Edskin
10-06-2006, 06:33 AM
FCB-- Also, did you know that Gerrardo of "Rico Suave" fame was also in Can't Buy Me Love??

He plays one of the "cool" kids who does you know what on Malachai's house.

LoganBuck
10-06-2006, 07:47 AM
Grey's Anatomy is a horrible show, that divides my household every Thursday. I absolutely can not stand that show.

Chip R
10-06-2006, 09:43 AM

I usually am watching with a room full of female friends. Maybe I just enjoy the "company?"

I saw about 10 minutes of the show a couple of weeks ago. Might have been the season premier. I didn't see enough of it to form an opinion but I like the way you think, Doog. :thumbup:

Red Leader
10-06-2006, 09:49 AM
I watch Grey's Anatomy every week with my wife, who is an avid fan. I can't say that it's the greatest show on TV, that's reserved for Lost, but it isn't a bad show at all. I like all medical based shows, so it's a little easier for me to like Grey's Anatomy, probably moreso than other people. I do appreciate how the writers read through medical history books and then write real, true medical stories into their episodes. Every case that is presented on the show is an actual case that happened at one time or another in real life. I appreciate that, moreso than ER, which makes up about 3/4 of the stuff on their episodes.

TRF
10-06-2006, 09:57 AM
for a cool medical show, I recommend House.

GA is fluff, but my wife loves it. Since I love her, we watch it together.

Of course I get to maker her watch Monday Night Raw. :)

Hoosier Red
10-06-2006, 10:01 AM
For a cool medical show I recommend Scrubs, at least when it comes back on in January.

Stupid NBC

wolfboy
10-06-2006, 10:04 AM
I feel like I'm watching a show from the Jerry Lewis/ Sammy Davis/ Dean Martin days.

One might expect Edskin's reply to be, "And coming from the greatest humanitarian in the world, that means so much..."

As Steve Martin pointed out in Roxanne,words don't mean anything anymore: "They've all been wasted...on the shampoo commercials, and uhh, and the ads, and uhh the flavorings. All the beautiful words. I mean, how can you, uhh, how can you love a floor wax? Uhh, how can you love a diaper? I mean how can I use the same word about you that, uh, someone else uses about a stuffing?"

:)

My intent was for the post to have a playful tone. I didn't mean to waste your time, or irritate you with my choice of words.

I should have been more direct. I have seen the show many times (my girlfriend is a regular), and I think it is terrible. I have little to no tolerance for prime-time soap operas. I don't care who is sleeping with who, or whether the focus is on men, women, or Lego figures. Of course, I'm pretty biased. Outside of a few exceptions, I think that all television sucks.

Danny Serafini
10-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Also another great story - guy with this really bad facial condition. He was so horrified to go out in public. He thought his mother was the only person who ever loved him. Turned out that he had a tumor that was causing some of his problems. He died in surgery, and the surgeon fixed his face after he died.

Ugh. That's not a great story, that's just unrealistic crap. Really, what surgeon is going to waste time operating on someone who's dead? I've never seen more than a few minutes of the show, and something tells me that's a good thing.

Red Leader
10-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Ugh. That's not a great story, that's just unrealistic crap. Really, what surgeon is going to waste time operating on someone who's dead? I've never seen more than a few minutes of the show, and something tells me that's a good thing.

As I said above, EVERY case they present on the show is a true story of a case that happened in real life. It happened.

westofyou
10-06-2006, 10:25 AM
He died in surgery, and the surgeon fixed his face after he died.Then he played a round of golf for charity.

Ahhh... the reality of television.

TRF
10-06-2006, 10:43 AM
He played golf after dying?

It's the feel good story of the year!

DoogMinAmo
10-06-2006, 12:41 PM
As I said above, EVERY case they present on the show is a true story of a case that happened in real life. It happened.

Yeah, but you have to admit you had a problem with the hospital prom, you know where people stop getting hurt and dieing so that the docs and nurses could have a dance and an orgy, for a patient no less?

Doc. Scott
10-06-2006, 12:47 PM
You don't watch Grey's Anatomy for gritty medical realism. That's ER. The medicine stuff is just color for the interpersonal soap operas. Which is why, if I may draw on a stereotypical-but-true belief, women like the show. It's familiar territory for the target audience of Y&R and All My Children.

So people who are getting on the show for not being medically realistic enough are technically right, but they miss the point. It's like criticizing those aforementioned daytime dramas for inaccurately portraying amnesia victims.

I hadn't heard about the whole "every case on the show really happened" thing, but "based on a true story" can often have pretty tenuous ties to what actually happened. I don't think it's debatable that the medical cases on the show aren't pretty heavily stylized in places.

As for my own opinion- it's decent fun to watch if there are fans of the show in the room, but a real snoozer without someone to bounce observations off of. The main problem is simple: I find Meredith's character incredibly annoying and worthy of a few paintbrushes across the grill.

I do agree with Ed's blog take on how silly the little "competition" over Meredith is. Guys who look like Chris O'Donnell and/or Patrick Dempsey certainly don't need to pine over a girl who acts like that all the time. That aspect of the show's current plot is simply female writers expressing their ego fantasies.

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 01:20 PM
I do agree with Ed's blog take on how silly the little "competition" over Meredith is. Guys who look like Chris O'Donnell and/or Patrick Dempsey certainly don't need to pine over a girl who acts like that all the time. That aspect of the show's current plot is simply female writers expressing their ego fantasies.

My guess, having never seen the show, is that it's not "female writers expressing their ego fantasies" as much as it is Hollywood's drive to attempt to use beautiful people to substitute for regular human beings, and the public's buying into physical beauty as a form of escapism.

If all of these people were average-looking, would you have the same complaint? But that can't happen on television, not with the standards set as they currently are. People who would knock you over walking down the street serve as "the plain janes" and "fat girls" or "computer nerds" on television.

Doc. Scott
10-06-2006, 02:07 PM
My guess, having never seen the show, is that it's not "female writers expressing their ego fantasies" as much as it is Hollywood's drive to attempt to use beautiful people to substitute for regular human beings, and the public's buying into physical beauty as a form of escapism.

If all of these people were average-looking, would you have the same complaint? But that can't happen on television, not with the standards set as they currently are. People who would knock you over walking down the street serve as "the plain janes" and "fat girls" or "computer nerds" on television.

Point taken, but I'm really just trying to agree with Ed's take on his blog (please read it if you haven't). The lack of realism in the way these characters are written offends me more than anything having to do with the medicine, etc. Those are the two areas (whiny/unbelievable/self-obsessed characters, medical ridiculousness) where the show draws 95% of its criticism.

letsgojunior
10-06-2006, 06:54 PM

It wasn't about the surgery - we all knew that was unrealistic. It was about the fact that the guy was so horrified and disgusted with himself that he had convinced himself that he had this one fatal flaw that no one could fix. And dealing with the reality that you have something wrong with you that others will refuse to accept. The whole show delved around that theme, just as it does every week.

Dom Heffner
10-06-2006, 06:58 PM
My intent was for the post to have a playful tone. I didn't mean to waste your time, or irritate you with my choice of words.

I was just razzin' ya.

No hard feelings were meant, I promise.

letsgojunior
10-06-2006, 07:02 PM

I disagree. I'm not sure if you're basing this comment solely on the guy's looks, but McDreamy hasn't been written as a very nice guy. He lied for an entire year that he was married, strung two separate women along while he pretended to be a good guy, flatly rejected Meredith in very rude fashion when he was choosing between her and her newly found wife, etc.

Cause if we're basing this on looks, I wouldn't go for a player like McDreamy ever - because he's severely hurt two women and doesn't even lose sleep over it, even though he's not me in my "league."

I like Meredith. I find her interesting, very intelligent, and funny. Her mother is slowly disintegrating from Alzheimers and her father is a deadbeat. So everyone at the hospital is her family in a way.

Sure, they make departures from reality sometimes that is funny and cute. For instance, last season George walked in on all three female interns naked in the shower as part of a dream sequence. That episode followed the SuperBowl and drew in 35 million fans. If television was all white knuckled drama it would be painful to watch.

The show also features a lot of good really Indie music, is the most diverse cast in recent memory on television, and has really creative writers.

I think, along with Lost, it makes TV fun to watch again.

letsgojunior
10-06-2006, 07:12 PM

I don't see how it's a great departure from making someone look nice for their funeral. In this case the surgeon did it for the kid's mother, and it was a simple procedure that didn't take long. The kid died on the table before his face could be fixed.

It was a very sad episode about people being innately self-conscious and having a flaw they think others cannot accept.

Doc. Scott
10-06-2006, 07:31 PM
I disagree. I'm not sure if you're basing this comment solely on the guy's looks, but McDreamy hasn't been written as a very nice guy. He lied for an entire year that he was married, strung two separate women along while he pretended to be a good guy, flatly rejected Meredith in very rude fashion when he was choosing between her and her newly found wife, etc.

Cause if we're basing this on looks, I wouldn't go for a player like McDreamy ever - because he's severely hurt two women and doesn't even lose sleep over it, even though he's not me in my "league."

I like Meredith. I find her interesting, very intelligent, and funny. Her mother is slowly disintegrating from Alzheimers and her father is a deadbeat. So everyone at the hospital is her family in a way.

Sure, they make departures from reality sometimes that is funny and cute. For instance, last season George walked in on all three female interns naked in the shower as part of a dream sequence. That episode followed the SuperBowl and drew in 35 million fans. If television was all white knuckled drama it would be painful to watch.

The show also features a lot of good really Indie music, is the most diverse cast in recent memory on television, and has really creative writers.

I think, along with Lost, it makes TV fun to watch again.

I would agree with you that the show is at least watchable most of the time, yeah. (95% of network television doesn't hold my attention and I don't have cable.) Katherine Heigl is hot, McD and Alex need beatings, etc. And I'll concur on the music, even if Snow Patrol is now a shadow of its former self thanks to its GA-driven hit single.

savafan
01-25-2007, 01:51 AM
I'm still loving this show, and I'm finding the writing to have improved greatly so far this season as opposed to when the show began. The characters are developing well, and we're beginning to see real human drama develop on the show...behind the scenes as well.

http://lifeandstylemag.hollywood.com/2007/01/life_style_exclusive_isaiah_wa.php

Grey’s Anatomy star Isaiah Washington has entered a residential treatment facility in an effort to quell the controversy surrounding his anti-gay remarks — and save his job, Life & Style has learned exclusively.

According to an insider, Isaiah, who issued an apology for his statements on Jan. 18, agreed to undergo a psychological assessment after talks with ABC executives.

The married 43-year-old father of three was spotted entering the facility at 9 a.m. today (Jan. 24).

And in a statement released today, Isaiah, confirms this saying, “With the support of my family and friends, I have begun counseling. I regard this as a necessary step toward understanding why I did what I did and making sure it never happens again. I appreciate the fact that I have been given this opportunity and I remain committed to transforming my negative actions into positive results, personally and professionally.”

Isaiah, who plays Dr. Preston Burke on the show, became embroiled in controversy for making a homophobic remark about Grey’s castmate T.R. Knight during an on-set argument last fall. (T.R., 33, publicly announced that he is gay after the incident.) The controversy reignited after the Jan. 15 Golden Globe Awards, at which Isaiah denied ever making the comment — but used the anti-gay slur in his denial.

“ABC has told him he must enter a program to examine why he would say such hateful words,” the insider says.

Meanwhile, during an appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show on Jan. 17, T.R. confirmed what Isaiah had said last fall — and expressed surprise at his co-star’s attempted denial.

Isaiah issued his apology the next day, saying, “I can neither defend nor explain my behavior. I can also no longer deny to myself that there are issues I obviously need to examine within my own soul, and I’ve asked for help.”

Isaiah’s cast mates have been vocal about the controversy. “I feel really sad,” Kate Walsh has said. “I just trust that our show will deal with it in the way it sees fit.”

Katherine Heigl called the situation “tense,” adding, “I think it’ll work out and I’m hopeful that it’s handled properly.”

Reps for Isaiah and ABC were not immediately available for comment.

creek14
01-25-2007, 05:09 AM
If television was all white knuckled drama it would be painful to watch.

No freaking kidding. Real life has enough of that.

Oh sure, I watch all the trendy *this is the best drama on TV* crap, but sometimes I like a little fluff too.

Yeah, I know that makes me so much less enlightened than some of you. But believe me, I'm somehow able to deal with it.