PDA

View Full Version : It pays to be bad, two years in a row

TOBTTReds
10-05-2006, 08:37 PM
per reds.com

News you can use: The Reds' 80-82 record this season put the club in the bottom 15 among Major League teams. It means they would not lose their 2007 first-round draft pick as compensation if they signed a Type-A free agent (a top-level free agent) during the offseason. Instead, a second-round pick would be sent to a team as compensation for signing one of its star free agents.

Cincinnati's 2006 record was identical to the Rangers, but the tiebreaker favored the Reds because Texas had more wins in 2005 (79 to 73).

The compensation rules are subject to change, however, once the collective bargaining agreement expires in December and a new agreement is reached.

Consilation news there.

KronoRed
10-05-2006, 09:00 PM
No wonder the team tanked the last 2 games ;)

Matt700wlw
10-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Does it pay to be bad 6 years in a row?

:)

RedLegSuperStar
10-05-2006, 09:09 PM
So you think we go out and spend money on a big name?

GAC
10-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Does it pay to be bad 6 years in a row?

:)

It does if your name is Lindner! :lol:

GridironGrace
10-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Still good we dont lose the 1st rounder... and can still sign a top tier guy in FA.. hopefully we take advantage :)

also in that article was this:
It's a girl: Reds pitcher Aaron Harang and his wife, Jennifer, are first-time parents to a new baby girl. Addison Kay Harang was born healthy on Tuesday and weighed seven pounds, seven ounces.

Shaknb8k
10-05-2006, 10:34 PM
What type of free agent will aurilia be considered? A, B, X, Y, Z? because shouldnt we recieve some type of compensation if/when we lose him?

jnwohio
10-05-2006, 11:06 PM
Let's just hope that the baseball side of the house has the proper budget and shows the same aggressiveness and determination in landing the folks they target as the business side had in reeling in Thom Brennaman.

REDREAD
10-06-2006, 09:22 AM
What type of free agent will aurilia be considered? A, B, X, Y, Z? because shouldnt we recieve some type of compensation if/when we lose him?

That's a good question. I wish I remembered the exact details, but it's based on the stats of the last 2 or 3 years (I think last 2). I think a type A is in the top 30% at their position. I'm not sure if they'd call Aurilla a SS or 3b. Maybe they will base it on whatever position he played the most of in the past 2 years.

I think Aurillia has a good chance to slip in as a type A at SS, because he hits well. At 3b, I'm not so sure, but I think so.

As a point of reference, I think Michael Tucker was a Type A when SF signed him. You don't necessarily have to be a star player to be a type A.

edabbs44
10-06-2006, 09:28 AM
When's the last time Cincy signed a Type A? I don't see this as being that relevant.

paulrichjr
10-06-2006, 10:32 AM
When's the last time Cincy signed a Type A? I don't see this as being that relevant.

When was the last time BobC and WayneK had a winter to make deals?

I think the past is completely irrevalant when it comes to the Reds because of these two guys. I'm not a big WayneK fan (I am a big fan of BobC) but I think he won't stand still. He will sign someone and this makes it much easier to do so.

redsfanmia
10-06-2006, 08:20 PM

John Smiley?

edabbs44
10-06-2006, 10:30 PM
When was the last time BobC and WayneK had a winter to make deals?

I think the past is completely irrevalant when it comes to the Reds because of these two guys. I'm not a big WayneK fan (I am a big fan of BobC) but I think he won't stand still. He will sign someone and this makes it much easier to do so.

Bob has not shown one ounce of intent to spend money. He pledged to spend $$$ if they were in it and his pledge resulted in Lohse and an extension for Cormier. Until I see something resembling spending, I will doubt anything.

Prediction: Bargain pitchers coming off of some sort of surgery.

redsfanmia
10-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Bob has not shown one ounce of intent to spend money. He pledged to spend $$$ if they were in it and his pledge resulted in Lohse and an extension for Cormier. Until I see something resembling spending, I wioll doubt anything.

Prediction: Bargain pitchers coming off of some sort of surgery.

I agree 100%. I think people thinking he is going to raise payroll are sadly mistaken.

Caveat Emperor
10-07-2006, 02:24 PM
I agree 100%. I think people thinking he is going to raise payroll are sadly mistaken.

At this point, I'm just hoping the wallet opens up enough to get Aaron Harang on the hook for a couple of years in Cincinnati.

harangatang
10-07-2006, 02:31 PM
When's the last time Cincy signed a Type A?Eric Milton, but that was based solely on the win column.
:D