PDA

View Full Version : Shaping the Roster this Offseason

reds44
10-05-2006, 11:42 PM
http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061003/SPT05/610030346/1027

Current players and ‘07 status

Under contract:

Bronson Arroyo (through 2008)
Juan Castro (through 2008)
Rheal Cormier (through 2007)
Adam Dunn (through 2007)
Ryan Freel (through 2007)
Ken Griffey Jr. (through 2008)
Scott Hatteberg (through 2007)
Jason LaRue (through 2007)
Eric Milton (through 2007)
Javier Valentin (through 2007)

Potential free agents:

Royce Clayton
Ryan Franklin
Eddie Guardado
Todd Hollandsworth
Jason Johnson
Kent Mercker
Scott Schoeneweis
David Weathers

Contract options:

Rich Aurilia (mutual)
Paul Wilson (team)

Arbitration-eligible:

Grant Balfour (waived, claimed)
Aaron Harang
Sun-Woo Kim (waived; cleared and outrighted to AAA)
Kyle Lohse
David Ross

Pre-arbitration:

Matt Belisle
Bill Bray
Brandon Claussen
Todd Coffey
Chris Denorfia
Edwin Encarnacion
Brendan Harris
Norris Hopper
Gary Majewski
Chris Michalak (waived; cleared and outrighted to AAA)
Ray Olmedo
Brandon Phillips
Elizardo Ramirez
Brian Shackelford
Jason Standridge
Dewayne Wise (waived; cleared and outrighted to AAA)

Gallen5862
10-06-2006, 12:06 AM
Sun-Woo Kim was waived; cleared and outrighted to AAA. That cleared up 3 spots on the Reds 40 man roster.

TeamSelig
10-06-2006, 12:36 AM
Jeez, I bet Harang gets a huge pay raise with him putting up Cy Young candidate-like numbers

redsmetz
10-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Jeez, I bet Harang gets a huge pay raise with him putting up Cy Young candidate-like numbers

I suspect this is where the Reds discuss a long term contract with Harrang. I'd try to lock him up for 3-4 years with an option in there too.

RedsManRick
10-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Time for Harang to get something like
07: 5M
08: 7M
09: 8M
10: 10M (option)

BuckeyeRedleg
10-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Time for Harang to get something like
07: 5M
08: 7M
09: 8M
10: 10M (option)

Works for me.

wheels
10-06-2006, 07:53 PM
How much money would be freed up if they let all of the FA's go?

I can live with Wayne bringing back Schoenweiss, but the other guys are pure fodder in my opinion.

I'll blow my top if they decide to pay Wilson for another year; and what should they do with Aurilia?

I wouldn't be bothered if he came back, but he's not getting any younger.

When I think back on 2006, it's like a blur. A mashup of players that don't seem to fit, and I fear that their replacements might be of the same ilk.

Wayne's got a lot of work to do, and thankfully he might have enough cash to make sense of it all.

This current team makes me feel stupid.

Falls City Beer
10-06-2006, 08:09 PM

I can live with Wayne bringing back Schoenweiss, but the other guys are pure fodder in my opinion.

I'll blow my top if they decide to pay Wilson for another year; and what should they do with Aurilia?

I wouldn't be bothered if he came back, but he's not getting any younger.

When I think back on 2006, it's like a blur. A mashup of players that don't seem to fit, and I fear that their replacements might be of the same ilk.

Wayne's got a lot of work to do, and thankfully he might have enough cash to make sense of it all.

This current team makes me feel stupid.

Well said.

Like a Frankenstein composed of Jimbo's pants, DanO's tight vest, and Wayne's oxygen-depriving tie.

PressBox
10-06-2006, 08:27 PM
We have some awfully key contracts set to expire after 2007 and 2008. Will be interesting to see who's in Red in 2009. But then again, that's interesting every year. :-)

NJReds
10-10-2006, 10:57 AM
I wonder if it's worth a shot at getting Batista and running him back out as a closer? The only starting pitchers the Reds that the Reds can afford are guys like Lilly or Padilla. Maybe Mulder takes a 1-yr discount w/incentives? How bad is his shoulder?

Zito's not coming here, and for the $15-$18M/year Boras will ask, he can go elsewhere.

As for hitters; Trot Nixon will probably be in the bargain bin. Hasn't been healthy for 3 yrs. Clobbers RHP and can play a decent RF. Would be a good platoon guy. Gary Matthews Jr. is a FA, I think. He can go get it in CF, but his OBA is more BA driven. Switch hitter. Probably a better, cheaper option than Torii Hunter. I think other teams will be on him, though.

membengal
10-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Mark Mulder should not be an option for any team. I saw him pitch in Memphis on his rehab, and he would have been lucky to break a pane of glass. Something really wrong with him.

NJReds
10-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Mark Mulder should not be an option for any team. I saw him pitch in Memphis on his rehab, and he would have been lucky to break a pane of glass. Something really wrong with him.

Okay. I wasn't sure how severe it was. Sometimes teams like the Reds have to shop in the discount aisle, but there has to be some upside.

klw
10-10-2006, 05:09 PM

and to think that just a couple of years ago how good it would have looked to have a rotation of
Kerry Wood
Mark Mulder
Brad Radke
Matt Clement
Wade Miller

RedLegSuperStar
10-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Kim, Michalak, and Wise are now Free Agents

per Marc's blog..

Free-Agents:

1B/OF Andy Abad
RHP Sun-Woo Kim
RHP Joe Mays
LHP Chris Michalak
C Dane Sardinha
OF Dewayne Wise

wheels
10-10-2006, 05:26 PM
I wonder if it's worth a shot at getting Batista and running him back out as a closer? The only starting pitchers the Reds that the Reds can afford are guys like Lilly or Padilla. Maybe Mulder takes a 1-yr discount w/incentives? How bad is his shoulder?

Zito's not coming here, and for the $15-$18M/year Boras will ask, he can go elsewhere.

As for hitters; Trot Nixon will probably be in the bargain bin. Hasn't been healthy for 3 yrs. Clobbers RHP and can play a decent RF. Would be a good platoon guy. Gary Matthews Jr. is a FA, I think. He can go get it in CF, but his OBA is more BA driven. Switch hitter. Probably a better, cheaper option than Torii Hunter. I think other teams will be on him, though.

Man, would I ever be satisfied if Wayne went out and got Batista to close, along with Lilly and Padilla to fill up the 3 and 4 slots in the rotation.

That would be a tall order, but I think that dog might hunt, and to think that Bailey will make an appearance sometime in 07.....That's best Reds staff in years right there.

Still doesn't address the fact that they need a bat, an outfielder that can cover ground, and someone to play next to Phillips (be it at SS or 2B).

I say deal Ross away for a young burner in the OF, and take your chances that Edwin will stay healthy, 'cause that guy's gonna blossom into a 30 homer bat toots sweet.

There are some low profile options out there that can net them five or six more wins over a season.

Wayne needs to get after them, but avoid making some of the rash, hope for a quick fix type deals that torpedoed what would have been an excellent first season at the helm.

Johnny Footstool
10-10-2006, 06:22 PM
I'd be thrilled with Ted Lilly in the rotation, Justin Speier as the setup man, and Octavio Dotel as the closer. I'd be less thrilled with Joe Borowski closing, but still satisfied.

Then Krivsky would just need to find a decent middle infielder to pair with Phillips (maybe Julio Lugo if can play 2B with Phillips moving to SS).

Lineup:
Freel - CF
Dunn - 1B
Encarnacion - 3B
Griffey - LF
Lugo - 2B
Ross - C
Phillips - SS
Denorfia - RF
P

Rotation:
Harang
Arroyo
Lilly
Lohse
Claussen/Ramirez

Bullpen:
Majewski
Bray
Cormier
Coffey
Speier
Dotel

Reds1
10-10-2006, 06:32 PM
I'd look at resigning David Weathers with Scott too! I think they might have overpitched him though. I worry about his arm, but I won't miss any of the other FA.

reds44
10-10-2006, 06:35 PM
I'd be thrilled with Ted Lilly in the rotation, Justin Speier as the setup man, and Octavio Dotel as the closer. I'd be less thrilled with Joe Borowski closing, but still satisfied.

Then Krivsky would just need to find a decent middle infielder to pair with Phillips (maybe Julio Lugo if can play 2B with Phillips moving to SS).

Lineup:
Freel - CF
Dunn - 1B
Encarnacion - 3B
Griffey - LF
Lugo - 2B
Ross - C
Phillips - SS
Denorfia - RF
P

Rotation:
Harang
Arroyo
Lilly
Lohse
Claussen/Ramirez

Bullpen:
Majewski
Bray
Cormier
Coffey
Speier
Dotel

Weathers>>>>>Borowski

RedLegSuperStar
10-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Rotation:
Harang
Arroyo
Lilly
Lohse
Claussen/Ramirez

No Milton??

NJReds
10-11-2006, 10:12 AM

I don't know about handing the job to Dotel. He looked bad with the Yanks at the end of this year. I'd sign him to a low cost deal w/incentives and see what he has left, but I wouldn't hand him the job.

Johnny Footstool
10-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Weathers>>>>>Borowski

How do you figure? Weathers is older, strikes out fewer batters, and gives up more HR. Borowski had some problems with walks this season, but I'd still rather have him than Weathers.

No Milton??

Not in the rotation. I'd use him as a swingman in the bullpen. Maybe as a 5th starter if Claussen & Ramirez fail miserably.

Highlifeman21
10-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Why all the fascination/obsession with Ted Lilly?

NJReds
10-12-2006, 10:04 AM

Because he might be the best cost v. performance option on the FA market for the Reds. Because it would keep us from throwing the Mays and Michaleks of the world out there every 5 days.

Chip R
10-12-2006, 10:18 AM

None. The raises for arbitration eligible players and guys currently under contract will take care of that. That's if everybody under contract comes back. Now if guys like Milton or LaRue are traded, then some money will be freed up.

Johnny Footstool
10-12-2006, 10:21 AM

I wouldn't call it an obsession. I just think he's the best addition the Reds can feasibly make to the rotation this offseason. They won't get Zito or Schmidt, and they really don't have enough ammo to trade for anyone of Lilly's calibre or better. Ted Lilly is a lefty who can strike batters out at a high rate, and he wouldn't cost anything to acquire in terms of talent. He'd easily be the #3 starter on this team. If he can be signed for $6-7 million per year, the Reds should do it.

The_jbh
10-12-2006, 03:54 PM
I really think we should leave the OF situation alone... if we are gonna spend money on a position player it should be on a SS or 2Bman with some range and pop... which is probably going to occur with a trade.

Would people really be disappointed with an OF of Dunn in LF, Deno and Freel Platooning in CF with Freel spelling dunn and griffey occasionally and the 2bman, and Griffey in RF? I think that is still a pretty good OF.

I think we should go after Marcus Giles, i think he would thrive in our park and w/o the pressure of having to be the leadoff hitter. trade prospects for him

CF Freel/Deno
2B Giles
LF Dunn
3B Encarncacion
RF Griffey
SS Phillips
1B Hatteburg/Votto by midseason
C Ross

I think thats a pretty good line up, especially once Votto bursts on the scene, i know we can't rely on him but Hatteburg was pretty productive.

if we r gonna spend money get PITCHING PITCHING PITCHING

I think Julio Lugo wouldnt be a bad FA signing either, he has good range at SS or 2B Put him in the 2 spot

NJReds
10-12-2006, 04:02 PM
I think Julio Lugo wouldnt be a bad FA signing either, he has good range at SS or 2B Put him in the 2 spot

I like Lugo, too. But he's had a couple of pretty good seasons and the Mets and Red Sox both have been after him for a while. I think he's going to command big $$$.

RedLegSuperStar
10-12-2006, 04:07 PM
Not in the rotation. I'd use him as a swingman in the bullpen. Maybe as a 5th starter if Claussen & Ramirez fail miserably.

That's an expensive swingman

RedLegSuperStar
10-12-2006, 04:08 PM
I like Lugo, too. But he's had a couple of pretty good seasons and the Mets and Red Sox both have been after him for a while. I think he's going to command big $$$.

Furcal money +

The_jbh
10-12-2006, 04:10 PM
NO WAY lugo gets furcal money... hes not that good

he'll get a 5 to 6 mil a yr contract

dump larue add Lugo thnx

RedLegSuperStar
10-12-2006, 04:13 PM

dump larue add Lugo thnx

Probably right.. I don't think he will comand 13 mil per year. But I could see him right around 8 mil

NJReds
10-12-2006, 04:33 PM

dump larue add Lugo thnx

He made $4.95 M this year. If the big fish are involved, he'll get a hefty raise. Not on Furcal's level, but more than $6M. How do we go about "dumping" LaRue?

Johnny Footstool
10-12-2006, 05:11 PM
That's an expensive swingman

The money is already spent -- sunk cost. His contract shouldn't dictate his role.

NJReds
10-12-2006, 05:12 PM
The money is already spent -- sunk cost. His contract shouldn't dictate his role.

If they told him that was his role, I wonder if he'd elect Free Agency?

Johnny Footstool
10-12-2006, 05:23 PM

*fingers crossed*

BRM
10-13-2006, 10:25 AM

$9M to be a swingman or $3M to be a fifth starter somewhere...hmmm, I think he'll take the $9M.

NJReds
10-13-2006, 10:29 AM
$9M to be a swingman or $3M to be a fifth starter somewhere...hmmm, I think he'll take the $9M.

Think long term. If he's a swingman this year and a FA next year, his value collapses. If he goes on the market this year he can point to a bunch of decent starts before his injury. He'd get more than $3M on the open market.

Edit: But I understand that it's unrealistic, because he's better than any other options the Reds have right now.

BRM
10-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Think long term. If he's a swingman this year and a FA next year, his value collapses. If he goes on the market this year he can point to a bunch of decent starts before his injury. He'd get more than $3M on the open market.

Edit: But I understand that it's unrealistic, because he's better than any other options the Reds have right now.

I guess someone might be willing to pay more than $3M for his services. It certainly can't hurt to try your plan. Tell him he's going to be a swingman and see if he sticks around.

LoganBuck
10-13-2006, 01:07 PM
He made $4.95 M this year. If the big fish are involved, he'll get a hefty raise. Not on Furcal's level, but more than $6M. How do we go about "dumping" LaRue?

Who are the "big fish"? The Mets, Yankees, Dodgers, Phillies are out as they all have SS taken care of. I could see Boston going after him, but who else?

NJReds
10-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Who are the "big fish"? The Mets, Yankees, Dodgers, Phillies are out as they all have SS taken care of. I could see Boston going after him, but who else?

Boston and the Mets (for 2B) will be interested. That's enough to drive the price out of the Reds range.

Krusty
10-13-2006, 01:59 PM
Actually the free agent market is pretty blah and unless the Reds are going to be major players for either Barry Zito or Jason Schimdt, they might be better off going the trade route.

Johnny Footstool
10-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Actually the free agent market is pretty blah and unless the Reds are going to be major players for either Barry Zito or Jason Schimdt, they might be better off going the trade route.

Who do they have that they can trade without opening up another hole?

Dunn? They'd never get equivalent value, and the offense would suffer greatly.
Freel? He's the only viable leadoff hitter.
Larue? He'd fetch very little after his terrible '06.

The cupboard is bare.

BRM
10-13-2006, 05:00 PM

The cupboard is bare.

Good point. There really is no surplus to trade from.

RedLegSuperStar
10-13-2006, 05:02 PM

The cupboard is bare.

Bailey, Wood, Votto, Denorfia, Bruce...

RedLegSuperStar
10-13-2006, 05:04 PM

You also got to factor in Pettitte, Mussina, and Matsuzaka as well...

Johnny Footstool
10-13-2006, 05:11 PM
Bailey, Wood, Votto, Denorfia, Bruce...

Yikes.

Denorfia is the most tradeable of all those, and I doubt he could fetch anything of value.

As for the rest, well, if Krivsky trades any one of them, it better be a slam dunk, no-brainer, yes-and-twice-on-Tuesday kind of deal, or I'll drive to Cincinnati myself and ro-cham-bo him.

RedLegSuperStar
10-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Yikes.

Denorfia is the most tradeable of all those, and I doubt he could fetch anything of value.

As for the rest, well, if Krivsky trades any one of them, it better be a slam dunk, no-brainer, yes-and-twice-on-Tuesday kind of deal, or I'll drive to Cincinnati myself and ro-cham-bo him.

No kidding.. but we do have players who could be used in trades without presenting any further hole. Heck we could do a deal like the Yankees and Phillies did to obtain high priced contracts (Abreu and Lidle) in exchange for prospects basically removing Philly from the contract.

Krusty
10-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Looking at the free agent roster, here is what I see the Reds could looking at:

Starting pitchers: RHP Adam Eaton, RHP Vincent Padilla, LHP Ted Lilly.

Closers: RHP Eric Gagne (loaded with incentitives)

Second basemen: Ronnie Belliard, Adam Kennedy

Shortstop: Alex Gonzalez

Outfielder: Frank Catalanotto (the Scott Hatteberg of the outfield)

RedLegSuperStar
10-13-2006, 05:26 PM

I like.. Maybe add Keith Folke to the Closers and Luis Castillo to 2nd baseman

BuckeyeRedleg
10-13-2006, 11:00 PM
I'm kind of ashamed to admit it, but I kind of like the idea of Ronnie Belliard for a couple of years, until we can replace him within the system (Valaika, Janish, Turner, etc). That is if they are okay with BP at SS.

Yeah, he thinks he's Manny Ramirez and he's an annoying cocky, but maybe we could use a little swagger and I could see him tearing it up in the GABP and putting up decent numbers. Although a limited sample size he has hit pretty well in Cincy, whether that be Cinergy or GABP, putting up .900+ OPS in 150+ PA's.

I know he's struggled in St. Louis and he'll be 32 in 2007, but I could see him OPSing .800+ and playing some decent 2B.

Edit to add: Plus, he's got that cool post-season experience (scrappy veteran factor) that Wayne probably likes and between he and BP, we'll have some hip-hop flava up the middle. Gotta love the crooked lids, G.

Falls City Beer
10-13-2006, 11:05 PM
I'm kind of ashamed to admit it, but I kind of like the idea of Ronnie Belliard for a couple of years, until we can replace him within the system (Valaika, Janish, Turner, etc). That is if they are okay with BP at SS.

Yeah, he thinks he's Manny Ramirez and he's an annoying cocky, but maybe we could use a little swagger and I could see him tearing it up in the GABP and putting up decent numbers. Although a limited sample size he has hit pretty well in Cincy, whether that be Cinergy or GABP, putting up .900+ OPS in 150+ PA's.

I know he's struggled in St. Louis and he'll be 32 in 2007, but I could see him OPSing .800+ and playing some decent 2B.

Edit to add: Plus, he's got that cool post-season experience (scrappy veteran factor) that Wayne probably likes and between he and BP, we'll have some hip-hop flava up the middle. Gotta love the crooked lids, G.

I agree completely.

Spitball
10-15-2006, 02:17 AM

Krusty, I totally agree that Alex Gonzalez is the Reds' best option for shortstop, and I think he would put up good numbers in GAB and play superior defense. As much talk as we read about Phillips at shortstop, I get the feeling the Reds just don't want to risk him falling back into his Cleveland funk years. And, forget Lugo. There is too much "Lugo love" in Boston after they failed to land him from Tampa Bay last year. I predict they will overpay for him to be their shortstop "option of the year" for 2007 season.

Lilly? I look at those mechanics and see a skinny Joe Kennedy or an even skinnier Jimmy Anderson. No thanks. Geeze, I just don't trust guys who throw across their bodies.

Eaton? I saw him pitch a couple of games with the Rangers and believe he would be a decent number three on the Reds, but he is a huge injury risk. Let the Yankees add him to Pavano and Wright on their DL shelf.

Padilla? Million dollar arm, but ten cent head. Again, I saw him pitch on Fox Southwest and have to wonder about emotional fortitude because when he gets upset, he loses it. He has a decent stuff, but would not want to see the Reds sink too much money for too many years into a pitcher with questionable mental make-up and shaky command.

I do think Ganzalez makes perfect sense, though.

RANDY IN INDY
10-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Lilly? I look at those mechanics and see a skinny Joe Kennedy or an even skinnier Jimmy Anderson. No thanks. Geeze, I just don't trust guys who throw across their bodies.

:beerme:

Krusty
10-15-2006, 10:00 AM
I like.. Maybe add Keith Folke to the Closers and Luis Castillo to 2nd baseman

I believe the Twins have an option on Castillo that they are picking up.

Krusty
10-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Frank Catalanotto would be a perfect hitter to play in RF if either Dunn or Griffey is traded. He won't hit many home runs but he puts the ball in play and is the type of contact hitter that Krivsky might be interested in.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3746

mth123
10-15-2006, 10:15 AM
I think your logic may be ok if your trying to think along with Krivsky. Not sure if you really agree that its a good idea.

I think moving Griffey or Dunn out of the line-up and replacing with Catalanotto would really make this a weak hitting team. We would now have the judy hitting Cat and the Hat offense at two traditionally power hitting positions.

If an in his prime Kent was at 2B and A-Rod at SS maybe the Reds could get away with that at RF and 1B. But Phillips and Castro (or whoever) won't make up for the lack of power at the positions where power is needed.

Krusty
10-15-2006, 11:11 AM
I think your logic may be ok if your trying to think along with Krivsky. Not sure if you really agree that its a good idea.

I think moving Griffey or Dunn out of the line-up and replacing with Catalanotto would really make this a weak hitting team. We would now have the judy hitting Cat and the Hat offense at two traditionally power hitting positions.

If an in his prime Kent was at 2B and A-Rod at SS maybe the Reds could get away with that at RF and 1B. But Phillips and Castro (or whoever) won't make up for the lack of power at the positions where power is needed.

Just look at last offseason. First move Krivsky does is sign Hatteberg. He probably looked at last offseason and saw that he had too many free swingers that didn't put the ball in play. Sure enough he trades Pena, then Kearns and Lopez....free swingers. He adds an unproven Phillips. His acquistions don't include free swingers in return.

As in today's Cincy Enquirer article, the Twins had their first 30 + home run hitter in Morneau in how many years? Krivsky is all about hitters making contact and putting the ball in play. Fans might like home runs but pitching, defense and timely hitting wins ballgames.....something we should see now that Krivsky is striving.

Johnny Footstool
10-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Just look at last offseason. First move Krivsky does is sign Hatteberg. He probably looked at last offseason and saw that he had too many free swingers that didn't put the ball in play. Sure enough he trades Pena, then Kearns and Lopez....free swingers. He adds an unproven Phillips. His acquistions don't include free swingers in return.

Phillips isnt' a free swinger? 88Ks and only 35 BBs from a non-power hitter? No, he's a hacker.

As in today's Cincy Enquirer article, the Twins had their first 30 + home run hitter in Morneau in how many years? Krivsky is all about hitters making contact and putting the ball in play. Fans might like home runs but pitching, defense and timely hitting wins ballgames.....something we should see now that Krivsky is striving.

So-called "timely hitting" is based on luck -- making the most of one or two opportunities. I prefer at approach that maximizes the number of opportunities to score runs. That's why getting on base frequently is so important -- it gives your team more chances to score.

Kc61
10-16-2006, 07:37 PM

I expect the Reds to become a weaker than average hitting team.

I don't think the trade of Kearns and Lopez was an accident. I think they are the exact type of players Krivsky doesn't want. Offensive players, poor fielding shortstop, outfielder without speed.

I expect the Reds to put far more resources into pitching, defense, speed. Far less into power hitters.

I could live with this. But you have to be disappointed with the Reds' acquisition of an injured pitcher from the Nats. Majewski was the center piece of that deal. He was the experienced, late inning reliever.

I expect a major shift in emphasis on this team. But the execution has to be better this off-season.