Reds Fanatic
10-07-2006, 02:00 PM
3 games today:

Padres (Chris Young) at Cardinals (Jeff Suppan) 1 PM ESPN
Yankees (Jaret Wright) at Tigers (Jeremy Bonderman) 4 PM FOX
Mets (Steve Trachsel) at Dodgers (Greg Maddux) 7:30 PM FOX

Matt700wlw
10-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Go Pads....salvage something...the Cardinals aren't that good...

Something........

Go Tigers....make the Yankees look stupid again :D

Mets/Dodgers...don't really care.

Reds Fanatic
10-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Padres offense continues to be pitiful. They get runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs and can't score.

Matt700wlw
10-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Padres offense continues to be pitiful. They get runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs and can't score.

Hey, the Reds made the playoffs!!! :roll: :dancingco :clap:

Reds Fanatic
10-07-2006, 03:19 PM
Branyan triples in 2 runs to give the Padres a 2-0 lead.

Outshined_One
10-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Come on Padres! Rally back and knock the Satanic Fowl out of this thing!

OnBaseMachine
10-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Padres offense sucks. They just had a runner on 3rd with 0 outs didn't score.

It should be about 6-0 right now.

OnBaseMachine
10-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Two things:

Scott Linebrink must be on the Cards payroll, and the Cards must have their own umps. Duncan just took a 3-2 pitch right down the middle but it was called ball 4, bringing Pujols up as the tying run.

Reds Fanatic
10-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Amazing the Padres are winning a game in which they have now left 14 runners on base and went 1 for 16 with runners in scoring posistion.

Reds Fanatic
10-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Ordonez homers. 1-0 Tigers.

Matt700wlw
10-07-2006, 05:56 PM
Steinbrenner is in a panic.

3-0 Tigers

Reds Fanatic
10-07-2006, 05:56 PM
Monroe homers. 3-0 Tigers

toledodan
10-07-2006, 06:00 PM
damn i'm gonna have to hear all the tiger fans run their mouths monday!:bang:

Reds Fanatic
10-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Tigers now up 4-0 and are already into the Yankees bullpen in the 3rd inning.

Aronchis
10-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Can anybody figure out what is causing the surge of parity this decade in MLB? It is like the flavor of the year. Last year it was Chicago, zap, your gone..............

TeamCasey
10-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Go Tigers! :)

Falls City Beer
10-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Can anybody figure out what is causing the surge of parity this decade in MLB? It is like the flavor of the year. Last year it was Chicago, zap, your gone..............

I love it. I absolutely love it.

For the first time in two decades I'm interested in the NFL again. Why?

Parity.

And Go Tigers! :beerme:

WMR
10-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Yankees looking like the impatient version of the Reds

Reds Fanatic
10-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Yankees now have not scored for 18 straight innings.

Matt700wlw
10-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Note to George:

Buy some pitching

MWM
10-07-2006, 06:49 PM
WOW, Bonderman looks amazing today. I don't think anyone could hit him when he's throwing like this.

WMR
10-07-2006, 06:52 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA.... MAN! If someone could figure out a way to bottle this feeling and sell it, they'd be millionaires.

WMR
10-07-2006, 06:53 PM
LOL, I never get tired of watching Casey chug-a-lug around the basepaths

Falls City Beer
10-07-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm sure glad it was the Tigers that exposed the Yankees' pitching for what it is.

Good for them. I don't buy into the fun stories about baseball too much, but having lived in Detroit for 4 years, my heart gets a sympathy flutter.

MrCinatit
10-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Somebody wake Narron up - Lidle is getting lit up....
oops. Sorry. Knee jerk reaction.

GullyFoyle
10-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Loving this game!

TeamCasey
10-07-2006, 07:05 PM
This is an edge of your seat game. Bonderman has a no no going.

TeamCasey
10-07-2006, 07:10 PM
I just jinxed him I fear.

OnBaseMachine
10-07-2006, 07:19 PM
7-0 Tigers bottom 6.

Tigers-A's ALCS! I love it!

Reds Fanatic
10-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Casey doubles in a run. Great to see Sean playing so well in the playoffs.

MrCinatit
10-07-2006, 07:54 PM
Dear George;
You can buy yourself a great bunch of players, but you cannot buy a great team.

MWM
10-07-2006, 08:03 PM
It's embarassing that an offensive lineup with as much firepower as this Yankees can't score more than 4 runs in 3 games in the playoffs. This could be one of the bigger eggs laid by a great team in the post-season that I can remember.

redsfanmia
10-07-2006, 08:22 PM
I blame "P"ARod, its all his fault.

Falls City Beer
10-07-2006, 08:26 PM
It's embarassing that an offensive lineup with as much firepower as this Yankees can't score more than 4 runs in 3 games in the playoffs. This could be one of the bigger eggs laid by a great team in the post-season that I can remember.

It was their pitching. There's no crime in being quietened by the Tigers' pitching, but their own pitching buried the Yankees. As I knew it would somewhere down the line in this postseason. That's some crap pitching they have.

Reds4Life
10-07-2006, 08:28 PM
I doubt ARod is going anywhere, but Joe Torre might be.

Anyone that doesn't think good pitching > good hitting, I refer you to this series.

Outshined_One
10-07-2006, 08:30 PM
I laughed when Leyland kissed the fan.

Falls City Beer
10-07-2006, 08:33 PM
but Joe Torre might be.

The doors to the Reds' franchise are wide open if it means dumping that useless turd Narron.

I'd love to pick up Joe.

Reds4Life
10-07-2006, 08:35 PM
The doors to the Reds' franchise are wide open if it means dumping that useless turd Narron.

I'd love to pick up Joe.

If he leaves NY I think he probably retires.

I think his wife does have ties to this area though. Probably doesn't matter, we've got Super Jerry!

RedLegSuperStar
10-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Best moment in the postseason so far!

A's v. Mets

redsfanmia

I'd love to pick up Joe.

Joe would be pedestrian here just like he was for the Cardinals, Mets, and to a lesser extent the Braves.

pedro
That was awesome.

captainmorgan07
that's a great moment for the tigers they derserve it

OnBaseMachine
10-07-2006, 08:37 PM
What an UNBELIEVABLE atmosphere in Detroit right now! The players are going intot he stands and shaking the hands of fans, spraying them with champaigne, etc.. I'm so happy for Detroit right now. I hope the Reds can give us this type of excitement very soon.

MrCinatit
10-07-2006, 08:37 PM
Kenny Rogers having a huge ball out there, spraying champagne on the fans and pouring some over a police officer's head.
Congratulations, Tigers. What a win.

dsmith421
10-07-2006, 08:38 PM
You've got to give the Tigers credit, they built this pitching staff through shrewd trades and good draft picks.

Then they put a savvy, smart manager in charge.

Too bad the Reds seem committed to mediocrity and stupidity, or we might do the same. Damn.

redsfan30
10-07-2006, 08:38 PM
That scene we just saw in Detroit.....

I want that.

I want it bad.

Falls City Beer
10-07-2006, 08:41 PM
That scene we just saw in Detroit.....

I want that.

I want it bad.

Well said.

I hate losing more than I hate death.

Hate. Hate. Hate it.

redsfan30
10-07-2006, 08:44 PM
The only thing that scares me about the celebration that just took place in Comerica Park is that sure looked like a World Series celebration to me. I hope they don't get too wrapped up in this and forget that they've still got alot of baseball left to play before they reach their ultimate goal.

Enjoy it tonight, but come tomorrow, full attention needs to be given to the Oakland A's.

RFS62
10-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Man, carrying Leland off the field on their shoulders, coming back on and spraying the crowd with champagne..... what a scene.

David has toppled Goliath.

:beerme:

OldRightHander
10-07-2006, 09:04 PM
We've been spared a subway series at least. Whew.

Falls City Beer
10-07-2006, 09:05 PM
We've been spared a subway series at least. Whew.

No kidding.

The worst Series in the last two decades?

You guessed it: 2000. What a piece of crap that was.

dsmith421
10-07-2006, 09:07 PM
No kidding.

Come on, that Padres disaster was completely unwatchable.

At least the Mets won two games.

Falls City Beer
10-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Come on, that Padres disaster was completely unwatchable.

At least the Mets won two games.

It was fun watching the Yankees at their mightiest operating like a machine against the Pads. Twisted, but fun.

The 2000 Series was a foregone conclusion that happened to last six days instead of four. That incarnation of the Mets was dullsville, too.

Sweeps are underrated.

WMR
10-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Someone needs to talk VP off the ledge ;)

redsfan30
No kidding.

I'd say last years Sox/Astros series was the worst. Two pretty boring teams, with no real star power (not that that's what I care about, but alot of people do) that resulted in a sweep.

Heath
Remember, the southsiders partied like 1999 after the beat the Red Sox.

Let's go Tiggers.

Falls City Beer
10-07-2006, 09:15 PM
I'd say last years Sox/Astros series was the worst. Two pretty boring teams, with no real star power (not that that's what I care about, but alot of people do) that resulted in a sweep.

I liked it. Some late inning heroics, great Sox pitching. Thought it was fun. Liked 2004's Red Sox drubbing.

They can't all be 2001 or 1991. But as long as they don't bore me, which is what 2000 did.

redsfan30
10-07-2006, 09:15 PM
The Mets have put a 3 spot up on Greg Maddux so far in the first inning.

vaticanplum
10-07-2006, 09:26 PM
Someone needs to talk VP off the ledge ;)

I'm alive.

I just sent the following to a couple of my friends whom I couldn't bear to talk to on the phone (we'll be talking at nine). Please don't be too hard on me even though I'm in a pretty bad and incoherent state. Yankees fans suffer too you know.

I'm happy for the Tigers. How can you not be happy for the Tigers? Their fans can chant all they want, their team can gloat all they want, but there's simply no way you can be upset with them, not if you're a baseball fan, not if you're human. You've seen 13 straight losing seasons from them. You rooted for Sean Casey for almost a third of your life. You kind of fell in love with Curtis Granderson in the last week. And most of all, you watched them be a better team. You saw them not only pull together, but lay it down. You saw a handful of some of the most amazing pitching performances you've ever seen in such a short little span. I smile at your champagne. Drink up. You fully, unquestionably earned it, with good baseball, with heart.

My heart, though, is still broken. It's causing me physical pain and it's admittedly drowned in a fair and melodramatic bit of liquor, which started to flow even before Jaret Wright was pulled. And it can't start recovering from here. Because before it starts to heal, it has to be stomped on, it has to be laughed at, it has to be ridiculed, just because it happens to love the Yankees. Can you even imagine what it would be like if one of the great loves of your life dumped you out of nowhere, when everyone told you they expected you to spend the rest of your lives together...and then everyone you knew proceeded to laugh at you for months? Told you that you deserved it, told you that you enjoyed too much love for too long and that you made too many mistakes to deserve any more? There's not a salt compound in the world that can serve as a metaphor for what has yet to happen to this wound. It's unthinkable. But it has to happen. And I, unlike those unfortunate Yankee fans who were born that way or who inherited it from their parents, I knew that going in. I should have, anyway. And it still hurts.

Yes, that's the Yankees, they of the billions of dollars, they of the egos, they of the 26 world championships. They of the "big rich kids" and the "face of failure" -- the announcers told us that tonight, so it must be true. Well, they're my team. I love them. Without them, I don't have just a short few years of incomparable joy, I don't have moments shared with the city I love most and almost all the people I love most who are not related to me. Without them, I don't even have my Reds, not the way I have them now. I know everything that is wrong with the Yankees and I hate it as much as you do. In a matter of hours I'm sure I'll start analyzing what they need to do to fix all those things, because I know it cost them this championship. They were out-assembled, out-played, and out-hearted.

But for now, they are just a baseball team. A baseball team that didn't play as well as it could have, that not only lost but got killed, that broke their fans' hearts. I say all this just to present the barest facts of any team that has ever lost, not to gather pity. You don't have to feel sorry for me. I am lucky to love this team. And I have no doubt that they will satisfy my heart completely some day, as they have for so many fans before, but not for me quite yet. No matter how ****ing stupid you are, you don't fall in love with something if you can't see a glimmer of hope there that you can see will be there forever. Or maybe you are the one who keeps it there. I don't know. I just know that I love this team, that it keeps breaking my heart, that a lot of you laugh at that very idea, and someday we will all be laughing at you again. But with love, like.

RFS62
10-07-2006, 09:32 PM
Vaticanplum, that was truly outstanding.

Beautiful.

:beerme:

Aronchis
10-07-2006, 09:45 PM
I agree about the Tigers, wrong time for that. The Yankees have not been anything big going on years now. The fact the A's pretty much manhandled the Twins who were Redhot, that series won't last long if they don't refocus. This decade, you always go with the hot team.

dsmith421
10-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Ah, I'm still glad they lost. I have the same love affair with the Reds VP has with the Yankees and all I've gotten out of it since puberty is kicks to the side of the head.

So forgive me if I don't sympathize. To paraphrase the great Ann Richards, Yankees fans were born on third base and think they hit a triple. But recently there's no sac fly to drive them in. And for those of us whose fanhood has been reduced to schadenfreude, well, we shed no tears.

wheels
10-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Ahhh...Now I can actually start enjoying the playoffs.

The Monster's dead.

Go A's.

Falls City Beer
10-07-2006, 10:32 PM
I don't always dislike the Yankees, but they've been the Shriner's Circus since 2002. Played out, gross, and expensive.

vaticanplum
10-07-2006, 10:42 PM
You guys are heartless.

Falls City Beer
10-07-2006, 10:46 PM
You guys are heartless.

Just bitter, I guess.

Losing takes an enormous bite out of one's soul.

vaticanplum
10-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Just bitter, I guess.

Losing takes an enormous bite out of one's soul.

Yeah...I know.

To me, celebrating one team has never automatically meant hating another. I know there are plenty of reasons to dislike the Yankees. But to kick them when they're down, to hate for the sake of hate, I don't like. And I don't think it would be acceptable for any other team. But I can't be objective about this right now.

redsfan30
10-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Vatican,

I will never, ever call myself a Yankees fan. I'll never call myself anything even close to that. But I do believe baseball is better off by having the Yankees around. They are a team that you either love, or hate. There's no inbetween. But however you feel, you feel something about them. That's what baseball is all about. A team that draws some sort of reaction from every baseball fan is a good thing.

There is just something special about watching a playoff game in Yankee Stadium, and quite honestly I enjoy it.

So, as I said, I'll never ever be a Yankees fan. But in some wierd, sick way...I feel your pain.

MWM
10-07-2006, 10:52 PM
You know what's amazing is that the Yankees haven't won the World Series since they started their strategy of getting every possible free agent they could get.

In 2000, the last time they won, their lineup was :

C- Posada/Leyritz
1B- Tino Martinez
2B- Knoblauch
3B- Brosius
SS- Jeter
LF- Ledee/Spencer/Justice
CF- Bernie Williams
RF- O'Neil

Pitchers:
El Duque
Pettite
Clemens
Cone
Gooden
Jeff Nelson
Stanton
Rivera

Out of that team, the only big name free agents were El Duque and Clemens. The rest of the team was either home grown or were routine pickups all teams make.

In 2001 they signed Mike Mussina, the biggest name on the market that year. that's what got the whole thing started.

In 2002, the biggest name on the market was Giambi who had just won the MVP. Of course, the Yanks offer more than anyone else. They also added Robin Ventura that year, but that hardly qualifies as a big name signing. David Wells might be the other guy that was highly coveted that wound up in New York.

In 2003, they added Hideki Matsui, paying more than anyone else could as he was highly sought after by a lot of teams. Later int he season they also got Jose Contreras, another case of them ponying up more money than anyone else.

2004 brought them Gary Sheffield who has just OPS'ed 1.024 the year before with Atlanta. Another case of them getting the big name by opening up the checkbook. They also picked up Kevin Brown who was coming off a brilliant year with the Dodgers where he threw 211 innings with a 2.39 ERA. Yes, it was part of a trade, but no one else could pony up the money for that ridiculous contract the Dodgers signed him too. It was another case where they got who they wanted because they could pay and no one else could.

2004 was also the year they got ARod, again as the only team willing to pay his insane contract. 2004 might have been their biggest off-season in terms of FA signings.

In 2005 they landed Tony Womack..... oops, I couldn't resist.

Actually, in 2005 they got the Big Unit coming off one of his best seasons pitching 239 innings with a 2.6 ERA and 290 K's. Again, it was a trade, but the Yanks were about the only team he'd go to as they agreed to offer him an extension at big bucks. They also ponied up more than anyone for Carl Pavano, who at the time was coming off a 222 IP, 3.00 ERA near Cy Young year with the Marlins.

Now this year they offered ridiculous money to Johhny Damon, then they landed Abreu at the break as they were the only team who could afford him.

So to summarize, 2001 is about the time they went crazy ponying up crazy dollars for free agents and getting a very large percentage of the premium free agents they went after. There were a few exceptions, such as Carlos Beltran.

Here's a list of the guys who they either signed as free agents or were able to trade for next to nothing simply because they had bucks other teams didn't. And all these guys were very highly coveted at the time.

Mike Mussina
Jason Giambi
David Wells
Hideki Matsui
Jose Contreras
Gary Sheffield
Kevin Brown (at his best)
ARod
Randy Johnson
Johnny Damon
Bobby Abreu

Look over that list again. That's a list of unbelievable players. Yet they haven't won and been to only two world series' since they started down this path. It's hard to believe that those guys along with guys like Jeter, Posada, and Bernie Williams haven't won at least one.

Prior to embarking on the Free Agents-R-Us strategy they Had won 4 out of 5. Coincidence? I think not. They've still won their division every year, but have puttered out in the playoffs. Somehow with all the money they throw around they're missing something to put them over the top.

I admit, I looked at that lineup and thought they'd roll through the playoffs. I think a lot of people were in that camp.

Falls City Beer
10-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Yeah...I know.

To me, celebrating one team has never automatically meant hating another. I know there are plenty of reasons to dislike the Yankees. But to kick them when they're down, to hate for the sake of hate, I don't like. And I don't think it would be acceptable for any other team. But I can't be objective about this right now.

I genuinely can't reserve hatred for the Yankees. AL teams are almost a complete inconsequence to my mind. They always have been; carryover from the pre-interleague years.

I don't have the energy to care about them one way or another. But regardless, you're right, it truly sucks to lose. If all I had to surrender was three or four toes, I'd gladly give them up for a Reds' playoff appearance. And I'm not even remotely joking.

MWM
10-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Nothing personal, vp, but when you root for a team that's won as much as the Yankees, dealing with the hate is part of it. You get plenty of time to celebrate when they win, but the dominant teams are always hated. And I don't think it's hate for hate's sake. I think it's more people like to see the Goliaths get slain. People love the upsets from the underdogs. Also they don't like the massive advantages the Yankees have that no other team has.

I don't hate like most do, but I do enjoy seeing the mammoths lose. I admit that I truly enjoy watching the Yankees lose in the playffs. If the Tigers win the World Series for the next two years, I'll want to see them lose. I'm not trying to be crass here, but I don't think anyone should have to apologize for loving wathing the Yanks lose. It's perfectly legitimate viewpoint as a baseball fan.

FWIW, in 1996 when they'd played the Braves (I had plenty of Braves hate), I was pulling for the Yankees in a big way. At the time they were the underdog and the Braves were the mammoth. The Yankees hadn't been to the series in well over a decade and in my baseball watching life I had always known the Yankees to be a bad team. I loved watching them comeback against the arrogant Braves. It wasnt' until they started dominating every year that I started enjoying their losses. It's part of the game. It's part of being a sports fan.

vaticanplum
10-07-2006, 11:14 PM
You know what's amazing is that the Yankees haven't won the World Series since they started their strategy of getting every possible free agent they could get.

Why is that amazing? The only team that has ever tried to do this thus far is the Yankees, and they've had 0% success rate with it. Thus, buying all the best free agents has been, historically speaking, 100% unsuccessful in terms of winning the World Series.

I've said this here before and I hope to God I never have to say it again: your mother was right. Money will get you a lot of pretty things, but it can't buy you happiness.

Brian Cashman is a broken dude. To look at him -- he's aged 20 years in five. And he was a genius. The team he assembled in the late 90s was perfect. He had a lot of things going in his favor before he even started to work. He had a bunch of great kids from his farm system (developed when Steinbrenner was suspended from baseball and had to keep his mouth shut for a few years). Jeter. Pettitte. Posada. Williams. Rivera. He also had a couple of good guys obtained through trade when he came in, of which the most notable is, of course, Paul O'Neill.

But that team was not, as many of my friends like to argue, purely the result of the Yankees' farms system. Yes, they formed a great, talented core, part luck, part timing, part great training. But since Curt Flood, you can't build a great team only from your farm system; I doubt any real baseball fan would argue that you should be able to. Until at least 1999, he assembled a team from his farm system and from a bunch of carefully identified spare parts that no one else wanted. yes, there was David Cone, coveted from almost any standpoint. But there was also Jeff Nelson, Mariano Duncan, Jim Leyritz, David Justice, Darryl Strawberry. Not exactly Jason Giambi, Johnny Damon, bobby Abreu. This was such a carefully constructed team. None of them by year is the greatest team ever -- not even 1998, I believe, despite what some people say. But collectively, that was extraordinary. Every year Cashman assembled just enough and Torre did just enough.

Now, they buy free agents. I love them, not only because I'm supposed to, but because I genuinely love to. Bobby Abreu smiles his way through almost every game and smiles are something I haven't seen enough of on the Yankees lately. Even Giambi, whom I hated, I have grown to love; I forgive him his mistakes, I seem him as a man so eager to prove himself as he is. But it doesn't work. It NEVER WILL. Because when you're buying free agents, it's immediately clear that your primary goal is to win a championship and your secondary (if that) goal is to build a team. And only teams have ever won championships. I don't know if Cashman has lost his mind or if he's being bullied; the answer is probably somewhere in the middle of those two things. Whatever he's doing isn't working. Not from a World Series standpoint, but more importantly, not from a team standpoint. The best player in baseball should never have to withstand what A-Rod is going through. It's a disgrace to the sport. I really believe that.

I love the Yankees. I love the fact that my Yankees message board, within 45 minutes of the loss, had finished its wallowing and had begun detailed discussions about what needed to be done to fix the team -- not WHAT THE TEAM HAD DONE WRONG, but what they needed to do to fix it. I love the fact that I was entrusted with the responsibility of updating my friend, a born and bred Yankees fan, on the game today because he had to work and couldn't watch or listen. And all afternoon I sent him text messages, and my final one was "It's over. I'm so sorry." I could barely bring myself to type it. And within seconds, he sent back simply, "2007". You lost? Get over it. You'll win again. It's a great way to approach baseball. It's the way to approach life.

So the Yankees have to deal -- more than in 2003 or 4 of 5 or whatever -- that what they're doing is not working. It's not surprising to me. I used to do a lot of plays, and one was Barefoot in the Park (by Neil Simon, who is not a favorite of mine, but whatever)...but there is a line in there that says "Six days do not a week make". Ten players do not a team make. Why is this so hard to understand for the Yankees? I don't know. I am drunk.

MWM
10-07-2006, 11:17 PM
vp, I was just saying that if you look at the list of players they acquired and then consider they haven't won the World Series one time, that seems pretty amazing to me.

vaticanplum
10-07-2006, 11:21 PM
I don't hate like most do, but I do enjoy seeing the mammoths lose. I admit that I truly enjoy watching the Yankees lose in the playffs.

But why are they the mammoths? That's a press invention, that's a financial assumption. five, soon to be six, teams have won the World Series since the Yankees have.

Why does Detroit get a free pass? As I said, I'm happy for them, I really am. But I've yet to hear a word about the "mercenaries" they've brought in. Pudge. Ordonez. Rogers. Polanco. Casey. Leyland, even. This is not the same team that lost 13 seasons in a row. It shouldn't be -- you don't keep a team that loses 13 seasons in a row. But the Yankees are held to a standard, and to scrutiny, that other teams aren't.

I don't think there's any validity in rooting for teams just because they lose. A lot of Cubs fans come to mind...they're rooting to be "different", not because of baseball. And the same exact thing holds true for rooting against teams just because they win. It's valid if there are reasons behind it. It's not a reason in and of itself, in my opinion.

WMR
10-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Nothing personal, vp, but when you root for a team that's won as much as the Yankees, dealing with the hate is part of it. You get plenty of time to celebrate when they win, but the dominant teams are always hated. And I don't think it's hate for hate's sake. I think it's more people like to see the Goliaths get slain. People love the upsets from the underdogs. Also they don't like the massive advantages the Yankees have that no other team has.

I don't hate like most do, but I do enjoy seeing the mammoths lose. I admit that I truly enjoy watching the Yankees lose in the playffs. If the Tigers win the World Series for the next two years, I'll want to see them lose. I'm not trying to be crass here, but I don't think anyone should have to apologize for loving wathing the Yanks lose. It's perfectly legitimate viewpoint as a baseball fan.

FWIW, in 1996 when they'd played the Braves (I had plenty of Braves hate), I was pulling for the Yankees in a big way. At the time they were the underdog and the Braves were the mammoth. The Yankees hadn't been to the series in well over a decade and in my baseball watching life I had always known the Yankees to be a bad team. I loved watching them comeback against the arrogant Braves. It wasnt' until they started dominating every year that I started enjoying their losses. It's part of the game. It's part of being a sports fan.

BRAVO!!

http://www.primaryothers.com/pics/top5/2004/FnYanks0005.jpg

OldRightHander
10-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Look at it this way. It's been since 2000 since the Yankees won the Series. The Reds last won it ten years prior to that. The last championship for the Yankees is still recent history as far as I'm concerned. There are many fans out there who have never seen their team win one and there are Yankee fans who can remember several. I consider myself lucky that I can remember three in my lifetime. Yankee fans have had it good for the most part. Just making the playoffs every darn year is more than a lot of other teams have done. I would prefer that kind of disappointment to what we've had around here these last few years.

Falls City Beer
10-07-2006, 11:29 PM
I agree that it's kind of artificial to hate the Yankees unless you're a fan of a team in the AL East other than the Yankees.

It's a conceptual and not a visceral hatred, IMO. I viscerally hate the Cards; I conceptually hate the Dodgers; I am completely indifferent to the AL.

RFS62
10-07-2006, 11:36 PM
Vaticanplum, I love your passion for your team. And your knowledge of baseball is very impressive, as is your writing style. I really enjoy your posts.

But the Yankees have a tremendous financial advantage over the rest of baseball simply because of their location. The playing field is not level, and that's a simple fact.

The Yankee lore is good for baseball. Great theater has villians and heros. In baseball, the roles interchange over the years. The rich, powerful Yankees are brought down by a scrappy team from across the tracks. It's Hollywood, right out of central casting.

I have to say, after reading your clearly heart-felt and sincere liquored-up lament tonight, I have more sympathy for a Yankee fan than I ever imagined I would. :)

We don't hate you. But no matter how cool you are, we reserve the right to hate the Yankees. It's the American way.

Don't worry, you'll get 'em next year.

vaticanplum
10-07-2006, 11:38 PM
It's a conceptual and not a visceral hatred, IMO. I viscerally hate the Cards; I conceptually hate the Dodgers; I am completely indifferent to the AL.

there should be no conceptual hate when one of your fellow Reds' fans has had her HEART. BROKEN. :) It's just wrong.

So I'm off to my Yankees' board. They're already halfway through 2007; they've kept Mussina, bought out Wright, and are questionable on Sturtz. They've congratulated Detroit and are hoping that the Mets will lose. It's all back to normal, right? Right.

vaticanplum
10-07-2006, 11:41 PM
Vaticanplum, I love your passion for your team. And your knowledge of baseball is very impressive, as is your writing style. I really enjoy your posts.

But the Yankees have a tremendous financial advantage over the rest of baseball simply because of their location. The playing field is not level, and that's a simple fact.

The Yankee lore is good for baseball. Great theater has villians and heros. In baseball, the roles interchange over the years. The rich, powerful Yankees are brought down by a scrappy team from across the tracks. It's Hollywood, right out of central casting.

I have to say, after reading your clearly heart-felt and sincere liquored-up lament tonight, I have more sympathy for a Yankee fan than I ever imagined I would. :)

We don't hate you. But no matter how cool you are, we reserve the right to hate the Yankees. It's the American way.

Don't worry, you'll get 'em next year.

Oh yeah baby!!!

Whatevs. The Yankees have still given the public more great players and more great moments than it even deserves. If the Reds catch up to them -- and they're as close as any team can be by virtue of the 70s alone -- then I would be thrilled. It's good baseball. It should make us happy.

But I'll leave you guys alone. I understand where you're coming from to a great extent. I'm a Reds fan too.

Mets up 7-5.

MWM
10-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Good Lord, these idiot announcers have gone on and on in every single Dodgers-Mets game about the Loduca trade form the Dodgers and what a bad deal that was for the team. Are these people insane? Do they have a brain in their head? "Dodgers fans are still scratching their heads over that one," they say. "The team was never the same," BS. I continue to be flabergasted at how bad most baseball TV commentators are. I wonder if they are even watching the saem game I'm watching.

wheels
10-08-2006, 01:37 AM
I actually like a lot of the Yankee players.

Like Falls said, it's conceptual.

Everything should revolve around New York in the minds of the media.

Nothing against the players, and I dig Cashman, but the idea of it all......
Bleccchhhh.

That's why I'm rooting for the A's. Everyone ignores 'em.

They're totally me.