PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod is batting 8th tonight

reds44
10-07-2006, 03:27 PM
IMO the writing is on the wall. He is going to be traded in the offseason.

Would you want him on the Reds to play SS?
What would you give up?

Dunn?

jimbo
10-07-2006, 03:31 PM
A-Rod would be doomed here just as Griffey was. He would never live up to the expectations of Reds fans. He'd be better off going back to the west coast where fans are somewhat more laid back.

reds44
10-07-2006, 03:32 PM
A-Rod would be doomed here just as Griffey was. He would never live up to the expectations of Reds fans. He'd be better off going back to the west coast where fans are somewhat more laid back.
If he got maybe.

If he put up the numbers he did in NY this year nobody would say a word.

jimbo
10-07-2006, 03:37 PM

I'm not so sure. If A-Rod failed here in big situations like he currently is doing, I think he would get the same type of criticism from Reds fans as Dunn is getting.

reds44
10-07-2006, 03:45 PM
I'm not so sure. If A-Rod failed here in big situations like he currently is doing, I think he would get the same type of criticism from Reds fans as Dunn is getting.
A-Rod doesn't hit .240

Dom Heffner
10-07-2006, 03:56 PM
If A-Rod failed here in big situations like he currently is doing, I think he would get the same type of criticism from Reds fans as Dunn is getting.

There aren't that many big situations to fail in, so he might be okay...

Actually- I could not (respectfully) disagree with you more here.

There is no crowd in America that would cheer Adam Dunn's .235/100 walk/strikeout hind end every year.

I understand that a walk is not making an out, but I don't stand and cheer for anyone who takes walk after walk after walk...it just isn't exciting.

Baseball is a spectator sport and people just aren't going to sit collectively back in their chairs and ponder SABRmetrics as a big guy like Dunn strikes out or walks two and three times more than anybody else.

There wasn't anybody who ever watched Rob Deer play that ever said, "Man, if that guy would only add 100 walks a year- I'd cheer for that guy..."

It's human instinct...

A-Rod still hits for power with a higher average than Dunn - he'd be fine here.

Joseph
10-07-2006, 04:01 PM
I'd love to see it personally. I just don't know if its possible financially.

I do agree with Dom, Dunn would not get a free pass anywhere in baseball. There would be those who appreciated what he did, and those who were disappointed he didn't do more. I'll even go one step further and say I don't think Reds fans are particularly harsh at all, so even if A-Rod came here and dropped 20 points in his average and only hit 30 HRs instead of 40-something, I don't think anyone would put up much of a fuss.

Patrick Bateman
10-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Assuming we wouldn't have to take on too much salary (no more than 5M) I would do a Dunn for A-Rod swap and throw in some lesser bits (not anyone like EE, Philips, Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, Votto, Bruce).

It's hard finding a SS like A-Rod, and if he's available, Krivsky needs to make every effort to get him.

WMR
10-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Oh yeah I'd love, LOVE to have him, and I think A-Rod would be fine in a city like Cincy. His stat line would keep him safe from this idiotic type of criticism, IMO, in just about every uniform BESIDES Yankee pinstripes.

If they don't win the World Series this season, I'd be VERY surprised if they kept him. Public sentiment, despite all the facts to the contrary, is TOTALLY against the guy and the Yankees are very sensitive to that.

reds44
10-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Assuming we wouldn't have to take on too much salary (no more than 5M) I would do a Dunn for A-Rod swap and throw in some lesser bits (not anyone like EE, Philips, Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, Votto, Bruce).

It's hard finding a SS like A-Rod, and if he's available, Krivsky needs to make every effort to get him.
It would be the best left side of the infield in baseball with Edwin and A-Rod.

Matt700wlw
10-07-2006, 04:10 PM

Well...fielding at least ;)

:D

Patrick Bateman
10-07-2006, 04:13 PM

Plus Philips at 2nd would give us 3 infield positions set for the next 5 years.

4256 Hits
10-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Would you want him on the Reds to play SS?
What would you give up?

Dunn?

YES!
A lot!

Yes everyday of the week and twice on Sunday!:cool:

RedsManRick
10-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Who would play 3B for the Yankees next year? IMO, if a trade is made, it would be to the Angels, who are keen on Latin players, have cash to spend, and have declared they are going to make a splash.

reds44
10-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Who would play 3B for the Yankees next year? IMO, if a trade is made, it would be to the Angels, who are keen on Latin players, have cash to spend, and have declared they are going to make a splash.

They are the Yankees. Dunn would go to 1st, Giambi DH, and they would probably sign A. Ramirez to play 3B.

Matt700wlw
10-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Who would play 3B for the Yankees next year?

They'll go buy someone...

Patrick Bateman
10-07-2006, 04:21 PM

Aramis Ramirez?

KronoRed
10-07-2006, 04:25 PM
If he got maybe.

Yeah right, Red fans forever compare every player to BRM guys, A-Rod would never live up to the impossible expectations, short iof hitting .350 with 70 bombs a year.

redsandrails
10-07-2006, 06:09 PM
I'd trade Dunn, Cormier, and Milton (not a bad #5 option for the Yanks instead of Lidle and a lefty (which they could use). I'd want 4-5M salary compensation for every year on AROD's contract after 2007 as well. Still, without some serious compensation by the Yankees there is no way we can maximize the efficientcy of our payroll by acquiring him.

redsfan30
10-07-2006, 07:50 PM
The Yankees are going to want at least a comparable stats player and a ton of top level prospects.

At least.

I'd love to see him playing in Cincinnati, but we just don't have the chips to get him here.

edabbs44
10-07-2006, 07:57 PM

Reyes and Wright.

penantboundreds
10-07-2006, 08:07 PM
compare A-Rods stats to anyone on the BRM machine...they are better so yeah we can compare them to the BRM players and he whoops them, why would we complain about that?

LoganBuck
10-07-2006, 11:05 PM
The Yankees are going to want at least a comparable stats player and a ton of top level prospects.

At least.

I'd love to see him playing in Cincinnati, but we just don't have the chips to get him here.

I don't know, the Yankees are wacky. Especially given the public sentiment, the external pressure could force the move. The cash is going to have to be even, but I don't know how much it would take in terms of players. The Yankees gave Soriano and Joaquin Arias to get him.

Scrap Irony
10-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Dunn would, IMO, get the ball rolling, as George is looking for OF pop and there isn't much out there at all. But Dunn by himself wouldn't get A-Rod. Think Dunn and Bailey. George would want EdE added, but, with Rodriguez's lackluster play in the playoffs two years in a row and his exhorbitant salary, there's no way he gets all that.

Bailey and Dunn? That price is too steep for me.

But... In my dreams, George decides to knee-jerk this one. Krivsky has a call in, and A-Rod becomes a SS again. In Red.

Sigh.

LoganBuck
10-08-2006, 12:29 PM
I don't think it would take Dunn plus Bailey. Probably something along the lines of Dunn plus Coffey plus any other prospect not named Bailey, Bruce, Votto, or Cueto. Don't underestimate how difficult it will be to trade that contract even if the Yankees pick up some, and the public sentiment in New York applying pressure.

letsgojunior
10-08-2006, 12:50 PM
I would have serious qualms about trading for A-Rod at this point, especially given the $100 M left on his contract. I'm not sure if anyone can estimate the psychological effect that this season and especially this postseason have had on him.

I was watching the end of the game with one of my friends and we both saw how negative his body language was - he didn't even want to in the batter's box. And a trade to a mediocre team such as the Reds would do nothing but reaffirm that he's a great player in stat-padding months such as May but can't get the job done in the clutch and can't lead a team to a championship.

I'm sure he has some good baseball left in him, but one has to seriously contemplate whether a player like this is really worth $25 M and the inevitable massive headache that will follow him.

I'd much rather the Reds build from within and make pitching their primary offseason target than do something highly questionable like this.