PDA

View Full Version : Torre is sure to be fired... or not

Wheelhouse
10-07-2006, 11:44 PM
...and Lou Pinella hired. The Yankees were not prepared to play the last 3 games. Steinbrenner gave Torre the best top to bottom lineup in history, where Cano, who finished 3rd in the AL in batting, was the #9 hitter. And across the board they failed. 3 total hits for the #'s 4, 5, 6 hitters for the series. Steinbrenner will blame Torre. Note: Torre's daughter lives in Cincinnati, and he had dinner with Lindner when Carl was owner. If the Reds are really interested in making the team better every chance they get, if Torre becomes available, they should grab him.

BCubb2003
10-08-2006, 12:15 AM
...and Lou Pinella hired. The Yankees were not prepared to play the last 3 games. Steinbrenner gave Torre the best top to bottom lineup in history, where Cano, who finished 3rd in the AL in batting, was the #9 hitter. And across the board they failed. 3 total hits for the #'s 4, 5, 6 hitters for the series. Steinbrenner will blame Torre. Note: Torre's daughter lives in Cincinnati, and he had dinner with Lindner when Carl was owner. If the Reds are really interested in making the team better every chance they get, if Torre becomes available, they should grab him.

I hear what you're saying, but if Torre gets fired because he can't manage the best lineup in history, how would he do with something less than that?

Reds4Life
10-08-2006, 12:19 AM
He's not sure to be fired. Even if he was canned, he'd likely retire before taking another managers job.

oneupper
10-08-2006, 12:20 AM
Torre gets fired because a group of Future HOFs and All Stars couldn't hit?

I don't have much love for Torre but what he supposed to do? Bench them and play Cairo, Phillips and Fasano?

Talk about Fall guy...

Wheelhouse
10-08-2006, 12:20 AM
I hear what you're saying, but if Torre gets fired because he can't manage the best lineup in history, how would he do with something less than that?

I think the talent on the team is the best. I also think the team is one big head-case and is in a certain way, unmanageable. Torre has the rings and the rep to cut through the inertia of the Reds clubhouse and make them play more consistent ball.

Wheelhouse
10-08-2006, 12:42 AM
I'm not saying the firing will be justified--Torre barely escaped George's ax last year, and that's the way Steinbrenner works. With Pinella available, it only makes it more likely. I think firing Torre would be foolish for the Yanks. But after this loss, there will be a call for blood from Tampa.

edabbs44
10-08-2006, 12:49 AM
Torre is an overrated manager. He was an avergae (if that) manager before striking gold with the Yankees. Cashman is more likely to get fired, esp since Torre has $7 million due to him next year.

Wheelhouse
10-08-2006, 01:14 AM
Torre is an overrated manager. He was an avergae (if that) manager before striking gold with the Yankees. Cashman is more likely to get fired, esp since Torre has $7 million due to him next year.

?????? Every Yankee manager has had the resources Torre has. None won nine straight division titles. He has been stellar.

Spitball
10-08-2006, 01:50 AM
...the best top to bottom lineup in history... :thumbdown

Please, this was pure Joe Morgan blather, and he was too proud to back down from this foolish, foolish statement. How many Hall of Famers do you see in that line-up? A-Rod because he has the numbers, and Jeter because he was luckier than Larkin and played in New York. This was a New York media over-hyped line-up that was exposed by good pitching.

IMO, Joe Morgan's analytical star has been tarnished...and he owes Rose,Griffey, Bench, Perez, Foster, and Sparky an apology.

RedsManRick
10-08-2006, 01:52 AM
Torre? Personally, I'm blame ARod.

vaticanplum
10-08-2006, 01:58 AM
Torre? Personally, I'm blame ARod.

Yep. 3 runs scored in 23 innings, 9 batters, and clearly the only person responsible is A-Rod.

Spitball
10-08-2006, 02:03 AM
?????? Every Yankee manager has had the resources Torre has.

What does this mean? They have all have been dealt a huge advantage, but only the "Great Torre" has been superior enough to win nine titles??? :rolleyes:

None won nine straight division titles. He has been stellar.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You have single handedly diminished the word "stellar".

Topcat
10-08-2006, 02:58 AM
LO i am just re reading number 1 by Billy Martin right now and sure as hell Joe is gonna be gone(retired is my bet) The man did a great job and THE GEORGE. I salute his work and am glad he is getting out.

RedsManRick
10-08-2006, 03:05 AM
Yep. 3 runs scored in 23 innings, 9 batters, and clearly the only person responsible is A-Rod.

Well, it certainly wasn't the pitching, Sheffield, Matsui, Giambi, Damon, Cashman or anybody else. The media would be all over that story...

Wheelhouse
10-08-2006, 03:51 AM
What does this mean? They have all have been dealt a huge advantage, but only the "Great Torre" has been superior enough to win nine titles??? :rolleyes:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You have single handedly diminished the word "stellar".

As Krivsky said in his first press conference "The road is littered with teams with money that have performed poorly."

Ron Madden
10-08-2006, 04:57 AM
The Pitching of Detroit just might of had something to do with this.

Wheelhouse
10-08-2006, 05:07 AM
ESPN reports this also:
http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/852-1008bigfront.jpg

Wheelhouse
10-08-2006, 05:11 AM
Sorry for the extra thread (merge, please!) but this is big news...

http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/852-1008bigfront.jpg

Wheelhouse
10-08-2006, 05:17 AM
Also from ESPN--note the 1988 mistake. Made me think it was all BS until I saw the Daily News cover:

ESPN:

>> Updated: Oct. 8, 2006, 2:27 AM ET
Report: Torre won't survive Yanks' collapse, to be fired
ESPN.com news services

Heads were likely to roll after the Yankees were eliminated from the postseason by the Tigers, but the opening odds were on Alex Rodriguez going first, not Joe Torre.

According to the New York Daily News, however, the popular Yankees manager will be fired unless he decides to resign first to save face. Sources told the newspaper that former Yankees player and manager Lou Piniella will be owner George Steinbrenner's choice to replace Torre.

After winning the World Series in four of his first five seasons, Torre has weathered many storms since then, but Saturday's 8-3 loss left him emotional as he pondered his future in the Bronx.

"We felt pretty good about ourselves," Torre told the Daily News. "But again, that's something for [general manager Brian Cashman] and I and other people to talk about. But right now, it's just ..." and choking back tears, he concluded "... it's just tough."

Cashman and most of the front office employees are expected to keep their jobs, the Daily News reported.

Several Yankees players told MLB.com that they would be surprised to see Torre go.

"That's pretty drastic," outfielder Johnny Damon was quoted as saying by the Web site. "Joe has been awesome. You never know what's going to happen, but I think Joe should be safe. For all he's done and had to put up with, he's been incredible."

Cashman dismissed the idea of either Torre or Rodriguez leaving, telling MLB.com, "Why wouldn't they be coming back? That's not something that I'm even thinking about."

Piniella has been rumored to be in contention for the open positions with the Washington Nationals and Chicago Cubs. He last managed the Tampa Bay Devil Rays to a fifth-place finish in 2005. Piniella began his managerial career with the Yankees in 1986. That team finished second in the AL East, the best result of his three seasons in the Bronx.

Piniella went on to win the World Series as skipper of the Cincinnati Reds in 1988, however. After three years with the Reds, he managed the Seattle Mariners from 1993-2002 and the Devil Rays for the next three seasons.

Torre has won more than 1,000 games as manager of the Yankees, but after beating the Mets in the 2000 World Series, the Yankees have fallen short of always high expectations despite having the highest payroll in baseball.

Torre has one season and $7 million left on his contract. <<

Wheelhouse
10-08-2006, 05:32 AM
Newsday too...

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-sptorre1008,0,708554.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

GAC
10-08-2006, 06:09 AM
It'l be easier to get rid of Torre then Arod's contract.

But then, this is the NY Daily News. ;)

Yankees lose, The "widdle kid" owner has a temper tantrum inwhich someone has to be fired. :lol:

MrCinatit
10-08-2006, 07:17 AM
It's to be expected, especially with George running things. Once a meddler, always a meddler.
BTW, don't be surprised to see ARod to go, as well. His contract is not a worry - the Yanks are not looking to unload the contract, they are looking to unload the player. I would not be surprised to see the Yankees pick up some of his salary (in addition to the salary the Rangers are still paying him).

redsmetz
10-08-2006, 07:52 AM
It'l be easier to get rid of Torre then Arod's contract.

But then, this is the NY Daily News. ;)

Yankees lose, The "widdle kid" owner has a temper tantrum inwhich someone has to be fired. :lol:

Not to mention the writer can't be borthered to check which year the Reds won the World Series (1990, not 1988).

RedsBaron
10-08-2006, 08:39 AM
It's to be expected, especially with George running things. Once a meddler, always a meddler.
BTW, don't be surprised to see ARod to go, as well. His contract is not a worry - the Yanks are not looking to unload the contract, they are looking to unload the player. I would not be surprised to see the Yankees pick up some of his salary (in addition to the salary the Rangers are still paying him).

If I was a GM, I'd be very interested in contacting Steinbrenner. I'd be hoping that 'ole George is so upset right now that you could get him to make a stupid trade or two.
I do expect Torre to be fired, and I certainly wouldn't be shocked if A-Rod is traded.

BrooklynRedz
10-08-2006, 10:18 AM

The restructuring of the Yanks' FO over the last year was in large part due to deterioration of George's health. It'll be interesting to see what happens. His performance at the groundbreaking of the new stadium was stunning. If he's allowed any decision-making role over the winter (besides what drool cloth he prefers in the owners' box) it should be great fun for the other 29 teams.

Unassisted
10-08-2006, 10:21 AM
I'm only surprised that the Newsday article isn't greasing the skids for Joe Girardi.

Reds4Life
10-08-2006, 11:12 AM
We've heard the same report after every season for the last 3 or 4 years. I'll believe it when I see it.

Caseyfan21
10-08-2006, 11:51 AM
I don't think Torre should take all the blame but I'm guessing he will.

RFS62
10-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Sweet Lou back in pinstripes.

Yikes.

edabbs44
10-08-2006, 12:02 PM
?????? Every Yankee manager has had the resources Torre has. None won nine straight division titles. He has been stellar.

Seriously? Let me know when a Yankee team, before the Torre era, had almost double the payroll than any other team in baseball.

FlyingPig
10-08-2006, 01:44 PM
The Yanks ran away with the East, with a loaded starting lineup.

At various times throughout the season, a good number of those players from that starting lineup were out and replaced by players from a weak farm system and aged arms...

Would you rather have Joe Torre managing the Reds, or what you have right now?

edabbs44
10-08-2006, 02:00 PM
The Yanks ran away with the East, with a loaded starting lineup.

At various times throughout the season, a good number of those players from that starting lineup were out and replaced by players from a weak farm system and aged arms...

Would you rather have Joe Torre managing the Reds, or what you have right now?

Joe Torre starts every season with the most loaded lineup and ends up almost always getting players at the deadline to help him. Fielder, Leyritz, Neagle, Justice, Hill, Weaver, Benitez, Boone, Loiaza, Abreu, Lidle.

This doesn't even begin to touch the plethora of offseason moves they have made. Giambi, Mussina, Unit, ARod, Damon, etc etc etc.

Would I rather have Torre than Narron? You know what's funny...before torre reaped the riches of NY, that would have been a tougher question. Look at the pre-NY Joe and you might have a diff opinion.

RANDY IN INDY
10-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Looks like Lou is back in Yankee pinstripes. The polar opposite of Torre.

Wheelhouse
10-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Seriously? Let me know when a Yankee team, before the Torre era, had almost double the payroll than any other team in baseball.

The Yankees had not been to the playoffs in 14 years before Torre came in. Please let me know how that fits into your financial analysis.

edabbs44
10-08-2006, 03:51 PM
The Yankees had not been to the playoffs in 14 years before Torre came in. Please let me know how that fits into your financial analysis.

You sure about that? They would have made the playoffs in '94 if not for the strike and made it under Showalter in '95.

Wheelhouse
10-08-2006, 06:16 PM
You sure about that? They would have made the playoffs in '94 if not for the strike and made it under Showalter in '95.

I stand corrected--they did make the playoffs in '95. But I still think Torre is an amazing manager. Look at the os with the money they have thrown at players and their success. Money helps, no doubt, but the keys to the Yankees: Jeter, Williams, El Duque, and Rivera were all home grown. And O'Neill's production bloomed under Torre.

RedFanAlways1966
10-08-2006, 09:04 PM
I think anyone who can deal with these things is a special type...

* George as your boss.
* Keeping things in order when there are lots of egos working together as a unit.
* The media and the circus atmosphere of NYC.

I do not know much about any ego problems with the Yanks. However, there must be some issues in regard to this during a 162 game stretch. I do know that King George is not an easy man to work for and this is well documented. The media and the circus... well documented.

I hope Joe leaves on his own and enjoys the rest of his life relaxing. He is obviously set financially. He seems like a decent guy and I wish him well.

NJReds
10-08-2006, 09:11 PM
The buzz here from Bill Madden (Daily News), who's very close to Torre and is usually pretty reliable, said that George S. is more upset about this collapse then the Red Sox debacle from a couple years ago. He and Torre have had problems before, so it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he canned Joe -- 11 years for a manager in the Yankees dugout is a real long run.

George also loves Piniella; but he'll can him too, if the team fails.

In my opinion, too much attention is focused on ARod. Mussina failed to hold a 3-1 lead in game 2. How does the "Big Unit" get a pass. He's been horrid in a Yankees uniform. Except for Wang and Mariano, the pitching staff has been below average.

NJReds
10-08-2006, 09:13 PM

Yeah. Must suck to root for a team who's owner demands accountability and hates to lose.

edabbs44
10-08-2006, 10:57 PM
I stand corrected--they did make the playoffs in '95. But I still think Torre is an amazing manager. Look at the os with the money they have thrown at players and their success. Money helps, no doubt, but the keys to the Yankees: Jeter, Williams, El Duque, and Rivera were all home grown. And O'Neill's production bloomed under Torre.

Please don't call El Duque home-grown.

BrooklynRedz
10-08-2006, 11:36 PM
The buzz here from Bill Madden (Daily News), who's very close to Torre and is usually pretty reliable, said that George S. is more upset about this collapse then the Red Sox debacle from a couple years ago. He and Torre have had problems before, so it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he canned Joe -- 11 years for a manager in the Yankees dugout is a real long run.

The most recent loss is always the most painful for George.

George also loves Piniella; but he'll can him too, if the team fails.

And Piniella will most cerainly lose, as will any manager given that team, as currently structured.

In my opinion, too much attention is focused on ARod. Mussina failed to hold a 3-1 lead in game 2. How does the "Big Unit" get a pass. He's been horrid in a Yankees uniform. Except for Wang and Mariano, the pitching staff has been below average.

The attention is focused on ARod because of the money and what is perceived as an obstacle for the Yanks to overcome in their attempts at to stock the roster. That's bunk. When you spend $200+ million constructing yr squad, there is absolutely no reason you should ever be forced to rely on Wright in the most important game of the season.

Yankees got good by responding to the talent in the league and on their roster. They got bad when they started responding to postseason losses. Dumb and self destructive.

If a trade of ARod impoves their pitching, that's a good deal. But I can't imagine there being such a situation.

Wheelhouse
10-09-2006, 12:08 AM
Please don't call El Duque home-grown.

He came out of the Yanks system.

edabbs44
10-09-2006, 12:12 AM

OK. Makes sense. :rolleyes:

savafan
10-09-2006, 09:20 AM

I thought he came out of Cuba. ;)

NJReds
10-09-2006, 10:22 AM
If a trade of ARod impoves their pitching, that's a good deal. But I can't imagine there being such a situation.

There was some rumbling and grumbling that the Angels might be interested. With the Rangers still paying a chunk of ARod's contract, it's not overwhelming. Overwhelming is a team like the Reds paying Jr. ARod still hit .290/35/120 or something like that.

Chip R
10-09-2006, 10:24 AM
I thought he came out of Cuba. ;)

Same thing. ;)

registerthis
10-09-2006, 04:00 PM
I like how not winning the World Series for 6 years is akin to armageddon with the Yankees.

I despise Steinbrenner, and I hate the fact that they so callously outspend the rest of the league, but if I were a Yankees fan this is exactly the type of reaction that I would want to see. They are legitimately embarassed that it's been a half decade since they last won a Series, and I could only wish that Reds management reacted in a similar manner.

KronoRed
10-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Same thing. ;)

Darn commies.

NJReds
10-09-2006, 04:17 PM
and I hate the fact that they so callously outspend the rest of the league

Would you despise Castellini if he had the disposable income and decided he was going to do everything within his financial power to bring a championship to Cincinnati, even if it meant having a $200M payroll.

I don't disagree that there needs to be a salary cap (and a "floor") but until then, the big spenders aren't breaking any rules.

Matt700wlw
10-09-2006, 04:20 PM
...and Lou Pinella hired. The Yankees were not prepared to play the last 3 games. Steinbrenner gave Torre the best top to bottom lineup in history,

And how about that pitching staff?

registerthis
10-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Would you despise Castellini if he had the disposable income and decided he was going to do everything within his financial power to bring a championship to Cincinnati, even if it meant having a $200M payroll.

I don't disagree that there needs to be a salary cap (and a "floor") but until then, the big spenders aren't breaking any rules.

As a Reds fan, I'd love it...but were I a fan whose team/city wasn't graced by an owner so willing to expend great amounts of cash to bring in top-quality talent year after year, it would get old very quickly.

Simply because it doesn't break any rules doesn't mean I have to champion the action. I detest what the Yankees and Steinbrenner do, within the rules of the game or not.

edabbs44
10-09-2006, 04:39 PM

Technically, Bonds didn't break any rules either...;)

paulrichjr
10-09-2006, 04:52 PM

I despise the Yanks and the ownership not because of what they spend but because they along with the union fights real change in baseball such as real revenue sharing.

Tony Cloninger
10-09-2006, 05:08 PM
So the Tigers....who until the last month of the season....just like the White Sox from last year.....had the best record in baseball and end up with the best ERA in the majors.....something very few AL teams can claim in the last 20 years......BUT it is all the Yanks fault that they were outplayed by them?

Any good pitching can beat great hitting. And the Yanks hitting ....despite all of their superstars was not as great as people think. A lot of their hitters can be pitched to more easily (Giambi/Sheffield/Williams/Damon) now than say 3-5 years ago.

You talk about overrating a team......that's exactly what people did with these guys....and it's all on the pitching anyways.

Even if A-Rod hits 2-3 HR's.....in the last 2 games....they still got beat up by the Tigers free swingers (2nd fewest walks.....2nd-3rd most Strikeouts in the AL).

If the Boston pitching of 1975......can shut down the BRM for almost half of that series...than this DET staff which has better arms than that BOS staff could certainly beat this Yankee lineup.

savafan
10-09-2006, 10:26 PM
http://yankees.justgotowned.com/

Wheelhouse
10-09-2006, 11:05 PM
http://yankees.justgotowned.com/

Hilarious!

Reds4Life
10-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Doesn't look like Joe is going anywhere soon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2618683

Is Joe Torre in or out? Only New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner knows for sure -- and he has yet to officially announce his intentions.

The New York Post, citing several unnamed sources, reported Tuesday that Steinbrenner has decided against firing Torre.

That comes three days after it was first reported by the New York Daily News that Steinbrenner was about to fire Torre and seek former Yankees outfielder and manager Lou Piniella as Torre's replacement.

Steinbrenner returned to the Yankees' Tampa headquarters Monday after meeting with Yankees officials to discuss his manager's future. "I have not made up my mind yet," Steinbrenner told reporters after having lunch in Manhattan.

And with no official word contradicting earlier reports, it remained possible that Steinbrenner, who said the Yankees' second consecutive first-round exit was "absolutely not acceptable" and a "sad failure," would fire Torre after 11 years, six AL pennants and four World Series titles -- but no world championships in the past six years.

But the Post reported that Steinbrenner, despite at first wanting to fire Torre, had decided to keep the manager for a 12th season after mulling it over with his most trusted advisors.

The Post reported that Torre was to hold a press conference at 1 p.m. Tuesday -- possibly after meeting with Yankees general partner Steve Swindal, Steinbrenner's son-in-law.

While Steinbrenner took a second day to decide whether to retain Torre, Yankees players on Monday expressed support for their manager.

Steinbrenner returned to the Yankees' Tampa headquarters after meeting with Yankees officials to discuss Torre's future. "I have not made up my mind yet," Steinbrenner told reporters after having lunch in Manhattan.

There was a lot of conversation Monday, but there is no timetable for when a decision will be made, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reports. General manager Brian Cashman said he wants Torre to remain on the job.

Sheffield critical of Torre

Sheffield told USA Today that Joe Torre's decision to bat Alex Rodriguez eighth in Game 4 ended up dooming the Yankees.
"I think that affected the morale and psyche of the entire team, not just A-Rod," Sheffield told the newspaper. "I'm not making any excuses, but everyone was wondering what was going on. It made it a real weird day. You would like to be treated with a little respect, I don't care who you play for."

Sheffield felt the move helped Detroit.

"[Tigers manager] Jim Leyland took advantage of that. He can make you believe anything. He can put a fire under your belt like you never had before in your life.

"Not to make excuses, but we didn't have that."

It was unclear whether Steinbrenner and Torre have spoken since the Yankees were eliminated Saturday from the playoffs, but the pair apparently did not meet before the Boss left town.

Since talking over as manager after the 1995 season, Torre has managed the Yankees to nine consecutive AL East titles and 11 straight playoff appearances.

"He gave us every opportunity," reliever Ron Villone said Monday, when a few more players came to Yankee Stadium to clean out their lockers. "He put us on the field at the right times. I mean, we came through in a lot of different ways. We had some injuries.

"He put the right lineups out there for us to jell and do the right things to win enough games to make it to the playoffs. You can't point the finger at him. You can only point it at us," he said.

Torre may have to take the blame after the Yankees bowed out of the playoffs in the AL Division Series on Saturday night for the second straight year. The Daily News reported Sunday that Steinbrenner was ready to fire him and insert Piniella as skipper.

"We've always been friendly," Piniella said in Oakland, Calif., at a workout before the AL Championship Series, which he will broadcast for Fox. "No, we haven't talked at all about that. In fact, I haven't seen Mr. Steinbrenner in 10 months. Talk to my agent about these things.

Fan Leslie Boaz, who turned out at Yankee Stadium on Monday for player autographs, made clear her allegiance to embattled manager Joe Torre.
"Look, I don't want to get into that subject. It's not right. I respect the situation too much for me to comment on anything else," Piniella added.

There was no sign of Torre at Yankee Stadium, and the team's media-relations staff was unsure when he would give his annual summation -- which last year was delayed until after Torre and Steinbrenner met in Tampa. Captain Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez also have not come to the ballpark to clean out their lockers.

Rodriguez and his wife, Cynthia, had lunch on Monday at the same time as Steinbrenner, on the same block, The New York Times reported. Rodriguez signed autographs for fans but declined to answer questions.

Later, Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras, told The Times that Rodriguez supported Torre.

"Alex is very supportive of Joe Torre and enjoys playing for him," Boras said in a phone interview with the newspaper. "I think he views what happened this postseason as one where some great starting pitchers beat a very good offense. From his perspective, that had nothing to do with Joe Torre."

Jaret Wright, who lasted only 2 2/3 innings as the Yankees were eliminated Saturday, said the defeat wasn't Torre's fault.

"I mean, he didn't get any at-bats," Wright said. "He didn't throw any pitches. We did that and we wish it could've turned out better for him, for us and for the fans but it didn't and you go from there."

Wright packed up his locker while avoiding the mess of cardboard boxes filled with baseballs, bats and athletic apparel strewn across the floor. Miguel Cairo threw a pair of shoes from his locker into a nearby garbage can, then thought better and fished them out.

Cairo could hardly imagine a new skipper sitting in the office at Yankee Stadium.

"He's still the manager," he said. "I don't know what you guys are talking about. He's the manager. He's going to be the manager until something happens different but he's still the manager."

The 66-year-old Torre led the Yankees to an AL-best 97-65 record this season. His 11-year managerial stint is the longest uninterrupted period for the club since Casey Stengel was in the dugout for 12 straight seasons from 1949-1960.

The Brooklyn-born Torre has won four World Series championships with New York, but the last title came in 2000 -- a virtual eternity for the demanding Steinbrenner.

"He's a class act," Villone said of Torre. "He knows what he's doing. He's a great manager."

Villone pitched for Piniella during his first year in the big leagues when "Sweet Lou" led the Mariners in 1995.

"He wants to win," Villone said. "He lets his emotions ride right out in front of everybody, so that's good. He doesn't hold anything back. But I think he's willing to listen to anybody, too."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report

paulrichjr
10-10-2006, 11:29 AM
I think Steinbrenner needs to think back to the decade before Torre when winning the world series for the Yankees wasn't the goal...just getting to the playoffs would have been nice. Torre has to be given some credit for an incredible run. Yes the GM gets credit also but the Yanks are once again the dominant team in baseball which is something that wasn't said for Don Mattingly's entire career.

RedLegSuperStar
10-10-2006, 12:08 PM
just heard press confrence is slated for this afternoon.. torre to remain manager of the yankees.

with that said I would see about going after lou. I know it may be far fetched but if you can cut stewart from the booth to add thom why not upgrade the manager...

Jr's Boy
10-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Sorry to get off topic,but with all that loot Arod has I wonder does he have a nice looking wife,Like Anna Benson?

vaticanplum
10-10-2006, 12:51 PM
Sorry to get off topic,but with all that loot Arod has I wonder does he have a nice looking wife,Like Anna Benson?

I believe she's a psychologist. Can't comment as to her hotness. They have a daughter who's almost 2.

NJReds
10-10-2006, 01:04 PM

Judge for yourself:

http://cache.boston.com/images/bostondirtdogs//2004/ar_Jdb.jpg

RedFanAlways1966
10-10-2006, 02:07 PM
The New York Post, citing several unnamed sources, reported Tuesday that Steinbrenner has decided against firing Torre.

That comes three days after it was first reported by the New York Daily News that Steinbrenner was about to fire Torre and seek former Yankees outfielder and manager Lou Piniella as Torre's replacement.

To say it more clearly... the NY Daily News does not have a clue, but likes to make the news rather than report it. Go figure!

Wheelhouse
10-10-2006, 02:15 PM
To say it more clearly... the NY Daily News does not have a clue, but likes to make the news rather than report it. Go figure!

Every news agency on the planet (including the Post) was reporting that Torre was going to get fired. If there's any false newsmaking, it came out of the Boss' camp. PS-The Post does its fair share of newsmaking!

Wheelhouse
10-10-2006, 02:20 PM
I bet I can guess the argument that got George to change his mind: "George, you'll probably have to pay Lou 6-8 mil to come here--that's a difference making pitcher."

RedFanAlways1966
10-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Every news agency on the planet (including the Post) was reporting that Torre was going to get fired. If there's any false newsmaking, it came out of the Boss' camp. PS-The Post does its fair share of newsmaking!

I'll agree with that. They are all guilty these days of "making the news". It is a shameless job.

edabbs44
10-10-2006, 08:46 PM

Don't forget when the Post botched, was it Gore's VP announcement on the front page?

Matt700wlw
10-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Torre has 1 more season as Yankees manager...at which point, his contract will not be renewed.

His wife, a Cincinnati native will want to come home and Joe Torre will be the manager of the Reds in 2008.

:D

There...it's settled.

Falls City Beer
10-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Torre has 1 more season as Yankees manager...at which point, his contract will not be renewed.

His wife, a Cincinnati native will want to come home and Joe Torre will be the manager of the Reds in 2008.

There...it's settled.

Nah, I'd only want the pissed off 2007 Joe Torre. The 2008 model's too equable.

RedLegSuperStar
10-10-2006, 08:54 PM

There...it's settled.

Will Bob match George's payroll? Not saying Torre can't manage.. but he has had the best players money can buy. Which makes me wonder if it was him or if it may just be the talent..

Reds4Life
10-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Torre will retire after next season.

Matt700wlw
10-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Torre will retire after next season.

I was being tongue in cheek.....I think he will too...

He has nothing more to prove

Spitball
10-11-2006, 12:20 PM
As Krivsky said in his first press conference "The road is littered with teams with money that have performed poorly."

The Yankees are way beyond the "teams with money". There is about 75 million dollars difference between the Yankees' payroll and the second highest payroll. That 75 million is huge. It is a higher figure than roughly half the teams in MLB have for their payroll...and that is just the difference between number one and number two. A Yankee manager should win and win big. He has a big advantage.

flyer85
10-11-2006, 12:43 PM
well I guess the target was missed on that one.

NJReds
10-11-2006, 01:03 PM
well I guess the target was missed on that one.

I think Steinbrenner was going to fire him, but was talked out of it by just about everyone in the organization.

vaticanplum
10-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Don't forget when the Post botched, was it Gore's VP announcement on the front page?

It was Kerry's...they announced Gebhardt as his running mate. That headline was all over the subway and I was very confused when I got to work and saw John Edwards listed as the running mate everywhere online.

I saved that paper...only time I've ever shelled out money for the Post :)

Always Red
10-11-2006, 02:48 PM
I think Steinbrenner was going to fire him, but was talked out of it by just about everyone in the organization.

Probably what clinched it was that and the fact that he would have to pay Torre his $7 million for next year, and then Lou another $6-7 million on top of that. That's a lot of cash, even for George, to lay out for someone to make out a lineup card.

NJReds
10-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Probably what clinched it was that and the fact that he would have to pay Torre his $7 million for next year, and then Lou another $6-7 million on top of that. That's a lot of cash, even for George, to lay out for someone to make out a lineup card.

Also, while Lou wants the job, I think he respects Torre too much to take the job under these circumstances. He seemed genuinely bothered about being linked to Torre's firing.

edabbs44
10-11-2006, 10:54 PM
It was Kerry's...they announced Gebhardt as his running mate. That headline was all over the subway and I was very confused when I got to work and saw John Edwards listed as the running mate everywhere online.

I saved that paper...only time I've ever shelled out money for the Post :)

I remember the News bashing the Post for that. Now the Post had about 5 or so mentions today about how they got the Torre story right.