PDA

View Full Version : Classic confrontation

RFS62
10-08-2006, 09:42 AM
A friend remarked that he thought the Tigers post game celebration after stomping the Yankees was a little "over the top".

No doubt the Tigers celebration was over the top. But I really believe it was good for baseball.

Other than Yankee fans, who didn't love the visual imagery. It was pure and unrefined joy. Wonderful theater.

But after getting beat the first game, the rain out controversy for game two, then to come back and demolish the mighty Yankees with such ruthless precision, man.....

Did they set themselves up for bulletin board material in Oakland? Sure, if they chose to use it. But I don't think that Leyland is going to let them lose their focus. That's his best thing. He seems to have the perfect personality to motivate an underdog, the little guy fighting the bully.

Now what a classic confrontation we've got coming up. Sabr darling Oakland vs. Old School Leyland's Tigers. It's an awesome story line.

I can't wait.

letsgojunior
10-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Now what a classic confrontation we've got coming up. Sabr darling Oakland vs. Old School Leyland's Tigers. It's an awesome story line.

Can't imagine it will do anything for the playoff ratings though.

Edskin
10-08-2006, 10:45 AM
62-- I totally agree. I think that was the players "giving back" to some long-suffering fans. If they had beaten the Twins, A's, or really anyone in the AL, I don't think we would have seen that kind of outburst. But because of who THEY are and because of who THEY beat, I think it was very symbolic for them.

I don't have a problem with what they did at all, although if I was a Tigers fan I would be a tad nervous about emptying the emotional tank too soon.

GIK
10-08-2006, 10:56 AM
I thought it was great. Detroit hasn't seen that in so many years. Endorsed 100%. :)

redsfan30
10-08-2006, 11:20 AM
As I said in the other thread, the scene we saw in Detroit last night....

I want that.

I want that bad.

37red
10-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Didn't you love the cop getting champaine poured over his hat. It was like they had won the Series and I loved it for Detroit. I liked watching the yankees wondering how could this happen to us?

guttle11
10-08-2006, 12:52 PM
I'm sure it was great for Tigers fans, but I just had to laugh. In the NHL, you dont touch the conference championship trophy. I wouldn't want the Reds to celebrate like that if/when we win a division series again. There's more to do...

I was really hoping the cop would take down Rogers and cuff him, and then been all, "Gotcha!" That would have been awesome.

vaticanplum
10-08-2006, 03:13 PM
I couldn't help but be happy for them. Yes, it's only the first round, but I don't see how people could begrudge them that. That (and good baseball) is exactly why we watch postseason baseball.

traderumor
10-09-2006, 12:31 PM
It sure did beat the heck out of a dozen interviews about "well, there is still a lot of work to do...we have to take it one game at a time...the Yankees are a great team, we were lucky to beat them...ya know...ya know...ya know." A good change of pace from the innane conversations that go on in celebrating locker rooms.

Another thing is that it brought back vivid memories of the team on the field actually having a kinship with its fans, which is very hard when you are now dealing with players who are icons moreso than athletes. It must be an effect Detroit has on its players, since you can read about the 1968 team having a relationship with their fans as if they were all just one big neigborhood.

westofyou
10-09-2006, 12:35 PM
It's a rematch...... most probably don't realize or remember, but prior to the 1972 WS the Tigers and the A's had a great 5 game series, it wa sthe tail end of an old Tiger team that aside from the Orioles was the best team in the AL from 67-72. The A's were just coming into their own, Joe Coleman struck out 15 in a game, Reggie broke his leg, Campy threw his bat.

In the end the Tigers went home... payback time.

M2
10-09-2006, 12:43 PM
I'm more than a bit superstitious on the whole celebration thing. I figure you get one big bash and if you waste it on a division title or a division series then fate's going to bite you hard in the next round.

Should be a fun ALCS though with two awfully similar teams.

The NLCS should provide more highlight reel offense.

Joseph
10-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Can't imagine it will do anything for the playoff ratings though.

Not a shot at you at all, but who cares? I know NYC has a lot of people, but there has to be more people like me who would rather watch any team [KC and TB included] than the Yankees. I mean I rarely watch the Yankees games unless there is a compelling team playing against them like the Tigers were in this case[y].

I love baseball, I love a good game and series, but I'm tired of the Yankees and I don't care what the people/fans of NYC think about it but I hope they go on a suffering spree that rivals the Cubs and Red Sox [prior to 2004]. Someone should curse that franchise. :)

M2
10-09-2006, 12:54 PM
Not a shot at you at all, but who cares? I know NYC has a lot of people, but there has to be more people like me who would rather watch any team [KC and TB included] than the Yankees. I mean I rarely watch the Yankees games unless there is a compelling team playing against them like the Tigers were in this case[y].

I love baseball, I love a good game and series, but I'm tired of the Yankees and I don't care what the people/fans of NYC think about it but I hope they go on a suffering spree that rivals the Cubs and Red Sox [prior to 2004]. Someone should curse that franchise. :)

While it would seem logicial that more fans would care about teams other than the Yankees, the ratings over the past decade have shown that they don't. The Red Sox have been the only AL team that's proven a national draw outside of the Bombers. Then again Fox has to be thrilled about the NLCS matchup. That'll be their prime time series.

Johnny Footstool
10-09-2006, 01:04 PM
The Tigers have one of those rare offenses that strikes out a lot (2nd in the AL) and hits a lot of homers (3rd), but doesn't walk (13th). They actually stole fewer bases than Oakland this season.

IMO, they're this year's Angels -- easy victims for a pitching staff willing to make them chase stuff out of the zone.

traderumor
10-09-2006, 01:55 PM
The Tigers have been one of the few AL teams I have enjoyed watching this year.

registerthis
10-09-2006, 03:56 PM
While it would seem logicial that more fans would care about teams other than the Yankees, the ratings over the past decade have shown that they don't. The Red Sox have been the only AL team that's proven a national draw outside of the Bombers. Then again Fox has to be thrilled about the NLCS matchup. That'll be their prime time series.

I wonder how much of that is due to the way the National press plays up both teams, though? I mean, just looking at ESPN, you'd be hard pressed to explain to someone unfamilar with the sport that there are actually 30 teams, rather than 2, in MLB. It's the chicken/egg argument--are the Yanks/Sox such media draws because they get relentlessly hyped by the media, or does the media relentlessly hype them because they're so popular? Or is it a mixture of both? Dunno. But, like Joseph, I could care less about the ratings.

KronoRed
10-09-2006, 04:06 PM
But, like Joseph, I could care less about the ratings.
Same here, if it's only about ratings just contract 28 teams

Hey..maybe we'd have better luck in the International league :evil:

MWM
10-09-2006, 08:58 PM

I wonder if that's sustainable though. I think they've probably reached the point of diminishing returns with the Yankees. I agree they're probably a bigger draw than most other teams, but that starts to diminish the more they're there. I think it's good for them if they don't make it every once in a while.

chicoruiz
10-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Did they set themselves up for bulletin board material in Oakland? Sure, if they chose to use it.

Which raises the question: does bulletin board material really work in baseball? I was always under the impression that you wanted to be cool and efficient when you played a big game, not ready to run through a wall. Otherwise the off-speed pitches will kill you.

Betterread
10-09-2006, 09:51 PM
I wonder if that's sustainable though. I think they've probably reached the point of diminishing returns with the Yankees. I agree they're probably a bigger draw than most other teams, but that starts to diminish the more they're there. I think it's good for them if they don't make it every once in a while.

Are you asking if the Yankees popularity is sustainable? The way that you qualify your opinion says it all. I don't understand the vitriol directed towards the Yankees. You do know that their owner is from Ohio, and the first attempt to buy a team was in the 70s - he tried to buy the Indians, and had an agreement but the deal somehow fell through. Then he bought the Yankees. When you rip the Yankees ownership, be aware that the head decision-maker of the most successful team in America is a native son. Instead of hating the team and him, you ought to give him credit for his success.

Falls City Beer
10-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Both NY and Boston will never not be draws. But if draws are the ends of playoff series, I'm with Krono: just blow the thing up.

Chip R
10-10-2006, 09:01 AM

They haven't been to the World Series since 2003. They haven't won it since 2001. So it's not like they have been winning the Series every year.

The networks aren't stupid. They are going to keep shoving Yankees/Red Sox in our faces until the ratings show otherwise.

westofyou
10-10-2006, 12:22 PM
When you rip the Yankees ownership, be aware that the head decision-maker of the most successful team in America is a native son.
Native son eh?

Jeffery Dahmer was from Ohio, should we celebrate him too?

Redsland
10-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Ditto Manson.

westofyou
10-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Ditto Manson.

He gets a pass from me because the Beach Boys recorded his song, Never Learn Not to Love.

But if you want to give him a pass because he went to Walnut Hills go ahead..... so did Miller Huggins... that's two very famous short guys from one school... go figure.

NJReds
10-10-2006, 12:44 PM
They haven't been to the World Series since 2003. They haven't won it since 2001. So it's not like they have been winning the Series every year.

The networks aren't stupid. They are going to keep shoving Yankees/Red Sox in our faces until the ratings show otherwise.

The Cubs were also huge rating draws a couple years back when they were in the playoffs.