PDA

View Full Version : Brennaman deal may be free-agency omen

OnBaseMachine
10-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Brennaman deal may be free-agency omen
Reds insider

BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Signing Thom Brennaman to join his father, Marty, in the Reds' radio booth was the latest example of how important it is to have a visible owner.

Had owner Bob Castellini not been involved in the wooing process, Brennaman still would be employed by the Diamondbacks.

Having him in the booth is not going to win the Reds one game, but the fact that Castellini and Co. were able to get the No. 1 guy on their list bodes well for future endeavors, i.e., signing free agents.

"If this is any indication - and I'm not so bold as to believe that the broadcaster is a big deal - but if this is any indication of the way this franchise is starting to operate, it says to the fans in this city and around this entire region that this franchise is coming back," Thom Brennaman said. "It will be at the top again. You can mark it down."

Thom Brennaman credited Castellini and COO John Allen for getting the deal done to bring him home.

"I know a lot of you understand this, but I can't stress enough having worked in big markets, medium markets, small markets, that there's a lot going on with this Reds franchise, thanks to this guy here," Thom Brennaman said about Castellini.

Getting free agents comes down to money and, well, money. With all things being equal, having an owner who is involved and committed to winning is a huge plus. It was a factor in outfielder Adam Dunn signing a three-year deal last year.

Because they have holes, the Reds figure to be a factor in free agency.

Under Castellini, don't expect bottom-feeder shopping.

That's not to say the Reds will compete with the big-market clubs in buying players. The biggest reason for that is they don't have a ton of money to throw around.

Castellini says the club will budget to break even. Because of the new television contract and a 10 percent bump in attendance, the payroll will go up substantially. My guess is into the $75 million range.

They have 10 players who will combine to make just under $50 million next year. The arbitration-eligible players - pitchers Aaron Harang and Kyle Lohse and catcher David Ross - will get another $11 million or so. Even if everyone else on the roster made the big-league minimum, that would put the payroll at $65 million.

That would leave $10 million for shopping if the payroll went to $75 million. The Reds need a closer and a shortstop, and $10 million doesn't buy what it used to.

Of course, general manager Wayne Krivsky isn't averse to trades. The bulk of the money committed for next year goes to four players: Ken Griffey Jr. ($12.5 million, although half is deferred), Dunn ($10.5 million), Eric Milton ($9 million) and Jason LaRue ($5.2 million).

Trade any of the four and it creates flexibility. The problem is Dunn is probably the only one tradable, and his value is down after an off year.

UPDATES: Krivsky said he hasn't talked with infielder Rich Aurilia's agent recently. The Reds and Aurilia hold a mutual option for $2 million.

On the coaching front, look for the staff to come back pretty much intact. The delay has been working with pitching coach Vern Ruhle, who continues to undergo treatment for cancer. He'll probably move into a minor-league instructor role in Sarasota, where he lives in the offseason.

MORE HIRES: Krivsky continues to add to the scouting operation. He hired Tony Arias, formerly with Toronto, to scout Latin America, and Pat Kelly, formerly with Atlanta, as a special assignment scout/Gulf Coast League manager.

E-mail jfay@enquirer.com

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061008/COL09/610080436/1071

Krusty
10-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Wouldn't it be something if the Reds stunned the baseball world by signing LHP Barry Zito?

Heath
10-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Is it me, or is it cool to see Thom Brennaman on FOX, and say, "Hey, he's one of OURS!"

That is some national exposure for Cincinnati.

Jr's Boy
10-08-2006, 01:02 PM
I'm impressed that Krivsky continues to beef up the scouting operations,and I can't wait to see the prospects to come along in the future.Nice he hired an ex Braves scout.

Falls City Beer
10-08-2006, 01:53 PM
I read no such omen in the tea leaves.

I'll read something into the FA thing when he starts signing FAs.

Aronchis
10-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Zito would cost the Reds a 2nd round draft pick, not likely.

vaticanplum
10-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Wouldn't it be something if the Reds stunned the baseball world by signing LHP Barry Zito?

YES.

I think these articles are more public relations than anything else. They're supposed to make the public feel good and buy into the Reds. Which is fine with me, they do make me feel good, and more people should buy into the Reds. But it doesn't really mean anything yet.

CrackerJack
10-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Well if nothing else the Reds can always say they signed the best FA broadcaster next season! Woo hoo. Just make sure you find out if he's going to be on the radio that day, or TV, or Fox, or somewhere else.

Dom Heffner
10-08-2006, 02:37 PM
"If this is any indication - and I'm not so bold as to believe that the broadcaster is a big deal - but if this is any indication of the way this franchise is starting to operate, it says to the fans in this city and around this entire region that this franchise is coming back," Thom Brennaman said. "It will be at the top again. You can mark it down."

So, the signing of Thom Brennaman- according to Thom Brennaman- is a sign that the Reds will be coming back, even though the broadcaster is not a big deal.

It's good to know that the apple never falls too far from the tree.

pedro
10-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Regardless, the TV broadcasts should be a lot more listenable when Thom's in there for George.

Dom Heffner
10-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Regardless, the TV broadcasts should be a lot more listenable when Thom's in there for George.

I wholeheartedly agree- I just want to make that decision myself and not have Thom tell me how getting him is such a great deal.

It reminds me of Johnny Bench announcing Reds games and giving trivia questions with himself as the answer.

"You know what other catcher hit two home runs in a game against Jerry Koosman....ME!!!!!!!!!"

MWM
10-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Ziot ain't leaving the left coast. The only way that happens is if one of the NYC teams offer him ridiculous money. My guess is he winds up with the Angels or Dodgers.

pedro
10-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Zito and his satin pillow cases ain't coming to Cincinnati anytime soon unless it's as a Padre or a Dodger.

PressBox
10-08-2006, 07:18 PM
So, the signing of Thom Brennaman- according to Thom Brennaman- is a sign that the Reds will be coming back, even though the broadcaster is not a big deal.

Dom - I initially had the same reaction when I was watching the press conference. However, the more I've watched the conference and listened to the context of the comment, I realize that this isn't what Thom B. meant.

He's talking about the fact that Castellini was so aggressive and relentless in his pursuit of Thom Brenneman. It shows that Cast knows what he wants and he'll do anything to get it. This, I think, is what Thom meant when he made this comment about how this franchise is operating and why it's coming back. It's not because of a new broadcaster - it's because the owner will get business done.

Hope this clarifies.

Strikes Out Looking
10-08-2006, 08:31 PM
After watching this season, I believe that as long as Jerry Narron writes out the line up card, the Reds could get Ruth, Aaron, Bench and Rose in their prime and still manage to not make the playoffs.

Highlifeman21
10-08-2006, 10:39 PM
After watching this season, I believe that as long as Jerry Narron writes out the line up card, the Reds could get Ruth, Aaron, Bench and Rose in their prime and still manage to not make the playoffs.

Definitely.

Aaron would have sat for almost 6 weeks after having some problems in the field, and Ruth would be hitting 2nd or 5th, never 3rd or 4th where he belongs. Bench would be splitting time with two other guys not worthy of playing time, and Rose would be playing out of position.

Yachtzee
10-08-2006, 11:57 PM
I wholeheartedly agree- I just want to make that decision myself and not have Thom tell me how getting him is such a great deal.

It reminds me of Johnny Bench announcing Reds games and giving trivia questions with himself as the answer.

"You know what other catcher hit two home runs in a game against Jerry Koosman....ME!!!!!!!!!"

Having never heard Johnny Bench in the Reds booth, I have to ask...did this actually happen? As soon as I read that, it cracked me up. Seems almost like a Saturday Night Live sketch from when they had good writers. :lol:

reds44
10-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Is it me, or is it cool to see Thom Brennaman on FOX, and say, "Hey, he's one of OURS!"

Yeah it was good to see.

SteelSD
10-09-2006, 12:00 AM
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

...They have 10 players who will combine to make just under $50 million next year. The arbitration-eligible players - pitchers Aaron Harang and Kyle Lohse and catcher David Ross - will get another $11 million or so. Even if everyone else on the roster made the big-league minimum, that would put the payroll at $65 million.

That would leave $10 million for shopping if the payroll went to $75 million...

Ok. The Reds need about 60 additional Runs just to get back to the 78 Wins they projected coming into the 2006 season. Let's assume that Dunn is worth 20 more Runs next year, which leaves 40 Runs.

Ten Million Dollars. 40 Runs. A good GM can find that with 10 M at his disposal. But the Reds have a GM who lost at least that many during the 2006 season.

But 40 Runs likely gets the Reds back to projecting at 78-84. The Reds might be able to get back there using less if they're smart, but adding the additional Runs necessary to reach the playoffs is a John Fay fantasy (not his first) that can't happen without significant unexpected internal production.

The Reds got Marty's son to work some broadcasts. Ok. Bob Castellini will budget to break even but really wants to win. Ok. Super.

Problem is that none of that matters. None of it. None of it ties in to how good the front office might be in bringing in players who represent actual value. Someone can want something, but if they don't know how to get it, then desire is immaterial- particularly if your goal is to "break even".

remdog
10-09-2006, 06:16 AM

You're deluding yourself. When he appeared on Fox no one cared that he was with the Diamondbacks and no one cares now that he is with the Reds.

Rem

remdog
10-09-2006, 06:19 AM
"Castellini says the club will budget to break even."

Carl Lindner said the same thing. :evil:

Rem

GAC
10-09-2006, 07:02 AM
Ok. The Reds need about 60 additional Runs just to get back to the 78 Wins they projected coming into the 2006 season. Let's assume that Dunn is worth 20 more Runs next year, which leaves 40 Runs.

Ten Million Dollars. 40 Runs. A good GM can find that with 10 M at his disposal.

Then they'd better find an established starting pitcher with a .900 OPS! :lol:

So - lets assume, or go on the premise, that they only have 10 Mil to spend. Just assuming now. ;)

Do they try to make up those runs by getting an offensive player OR go after a pitcher who will decrease the runs allowed?

REDREAD
10-09-2006, 09:02 AM
I read no such omen in the tea leaves.

I'll read something into the FA thing when he starts signing FAs.

I agree with you there. Thom wanted to come here and be with his dad.
It's a lot harder to woo a FA with no ties here.

The interesting thing was that the article claimed a 10% attendence increase. I thought attendence was flat. Does anyone know the figures for this year and last year.

I do have hope that some of the new TV money will be dumped back into the team.

REDREAD
10-09-2006, 09:08 AM
Do they try to make up those runs by getting an offensive player OR go after a pitcher who will decrease the runs allowed?

They have a lot of possiblities. They could get an OF, SS, starting pitcher, and/or bullpen help. They could even upgrade 1b. I guess that's one nice thing about having a lot of holes on the team.

TRF
10-09-2006, 09:32 AM
How many runs would be saved by Jr. moving to right field, and letting Freel patrol CF? How about moving him to LF and putting Deno in CF with Dunn finally moving to 1B?

How many runs would be saved by moving Phillips to SS?

Really, how hard is it to look at your roster and maximize their skillsets?

Do this, then settle on a 2B, and add a starter or two, plus a closer and that's likely 10-12 wins over the projected 78.

Chip R
10-09-2006, 09:35 AM
The interesting thing was that the article claimed a 10% attendence increase. I thought attendence was flat. Does anyone know the figures for this year and last year.

I don't have the figures at my fingertips but I don't think the Reds drew over 2M last year but they did so this year with room to spare.

GAC
10-09-2006, 09:42 AM
They have a lot of possiblities. They could get an OF, SS, starting pitcher, and/or bullpen help. They could even upgrade 1b. I guess that's one nice thing about having a lot of holes on the team.

But 10 Mil doesn't go that far in MLB these days. Sure, if you do your homework, you can stretch it out somewhat. But going after an established SP is gonna take alot of that. And IMHO, that is what they should be going after - solid rotation help.

And I don't think it should be, nor will it be, spent on 1B. They have very viable options there, including Votto.

lollipopcurve
10-09-2006, 09:45 AM
add a starter or two, plus a closer

via free agency? Would cost big bucks, if you're looking for surefire quality.

GAC
10-09-2006, 09:51 AM

According to Forbes, their attendance dropped 15% last year.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/33/332528.html

This year, we drew 2.1 Mil. Last year - 1.9 Mil

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=mlb/teams/003/attendance.aspx?team=003

registerthis
10-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Problem is that none of that matters. None of it. None of it ties in to how good the front office might be in bringing in players who represent actual value. Someone can want something, but if they don't know how to get it, then desire is immaterial- particularly if your goal is to "break even".

Bingo. Krivsky's flurry of activity in the season's final three months really left a lot to be desired. It also makes me wonder if, regardless of budget, he has the capabilities to determine player value. I really don't know. I'm willing to "wait and see" through this upcoming offseason to find out what he's able to accomplish when the threat of a trade deadline isn't staring him in the face. But I'm far from convinced that he's up to the task, and the Brennamen signing doesn't change that for me one iota.

westofyou
10-09-2006, 10:33 AM
I don't have the figures at my fingertips but I don't think the Reds drew over 2M last year but they did so this year with room to spare.

Reds dropped every year since they got to GAB, until this year, they climbed.

August was the best month by far, almost 500K

By Month

toledodan
10-09-2006, 01:44 PM

narron would find a way to clone joe mays and run him out at all 5 spots in the rotation. just for kickers he would make another and have him close games.:evil:

MartyFan
10-09-2006, 11:35 PM

I think TB went into great detail during his press conference that there were a lot of hoops to jump through with MLB, The Diamondbacks, Fox, etc...I didn't hear any "I'm the stuff" rgo in his comments during the press conference at all...I think that is what he still means in this comment.

westofyou
11-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Will Carrol said on BP Radio that the word on the street is the Reds might have upwards to 25 milon xtra to spend this off season.

Listen

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/radio/?PHPSESSID=65d951a00e632273fc439f981a983791

savafan
11-01-2006, 10:30 AM
What would $25 million buy in this market?

flyer85
11-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Will Carrol said on BP Radio that the word on the street is the Reds might have upwards to 25 milon xtra to spend this off season.... and they still won't be able to sign a top free agent.

westofyou
11-01-2006, 10:31 AM
What would $25 million buy in this market?

That's 25 million for this year, they can spread it around too.. it doesn't have to all go to Milton type of contract.

paintmered
11-01-2006, 10:34 AM
That's 25 million for this year, they can spread it around too.. it doesn't have to all go to Milton type of contract.

Is that going to be enough to purchase three bullpen arms, a #3 starting pitcher and a right-handed bat? Especially since this offseason is expected to be expensive for free agents.

savafan
11-01-2006, 10:34 AM

Oh, I'm aware...I'm just concerned that teams will go nuts on offers made to free agents this offseason.

lollipopcurve
11-01-2006, 10:46 AM
It will not be hard to attract hitters to GABP.

Heath
11-01-2006, 10:52 AM
It will not be hard to attract hitters to GABP.

Then the flip side is attracting pitchers to GABP.

BTW - Hal McCoy said in this AM's DDN, that Bob Castellini said to WayneK the following:

CEO Bob Castellini applied some pressure to GM Wayne Krvisky when he said "If you can put together as good on the field as COO John Allen has put in the broadcast booth, we'll be in the World Series next year."

Well, BobC, as I look at it - you actually directed pressure to yourself. Open the checkbook.

lollipopcurve
11-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Then the flip side is attracting pitchers to GABP.

Yep. That's why they need to strongly consider trading for pitching. Arroyo is gone after 08, at the latest, and, as of yet, they don't have a long-term commitment from Harang. Dunn is the chip.

redsmetz
11-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Yep. That's why they need to strongly consider trading for pitching. Arroyo is gone after 08, at the latest, and, as of yet, they don't have a long-term commitment from Harang. Dunn is the chip.

I'm not sure I buy that it's a given that Arroyo will be gone after '08. It certainly is probable, but that's a long way off and much can happen between now and then. All sorts of things can occur between now and then that might lead him to want to stay. Yes, I understand, he may prove to be too expensive, but that's not 100% certain either.

Jr's Boy
11-01-2006, 12:12 PM
With the questionable payroll,trades must be made in order to aquire the talent the Reds need positionwise.There's just not enough dough to get good players without trading for them.

flyer85
11-01-2006, 12:31 PM
That's 25 million for this year, they can spread it around too.. it doesn't have to all go to Milton type of contract.which is exactly where the inefficiency is in baseball, in the middle. The very good players are worth their top dollars and the bottom feeders get what they deserve(very little), its the players in the middle who don't play well or consistently form year to year yet still get exorbitant salaries where baseball is inefficient.

The problem is it is in the vast mostly inefficient middle where the Reds will likely spend the extra cash, making it nothing more than a crapshoot. That is, hope you get lucky with a player who has a good yeat this year.

flyer85
11-01-2006, 12:34 PM
There's just not enough dough to get good players without trading for them.which is true and the Reds have no position of strength to trade from. If they make a trade it will likely improve in one area to the detriment of another area. Reds are in a bad spot, extra cash or not.

mth123
11-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Use that money to sign Harang and take on a couple contracts at positions of need. The Reds take some ones contract off their hands and plug the guy in at say closer could work out real well. Fill holes without giving up lots of talent.

IslandRed
11-01-2006, 08:53 PM
which is true and the Reds have no position of strength to trade from. If they make a trade it will likely improve in one area to the detriment of another area. Reds are in a bad spot, extra cash or not.

That's why I have a hunch that the Reds' payflex -- whatever it is -- will be used at least partially in the trade market, not just free agency. Sometimes taking on a little bit of payroll can grease the skids for a good deal that otherwise wouldn't be made.

reds44
11-01-2006, 09:29 PM
which is true and the Reds have no position of strength to trade from. If they make a trade it will likely improve in one area to the detriment of another area. Reds are in a bad spot, extra cash or not.
I think we could move Lopez and Kear...........

Oh.

WVRedsFan
11-01-2006, 11:13 PM

The Creeper did some games on FOX. I felt no such coolness or pride.

Just sayin'.

Chip R
11-01-2006, 11:18 PM
The Creeper did some games on FOX. I felt no such coolness or pride.

Just sayin'.

I feel the same way when George does his annual HOF gig.

GAC
11-02-2006, 06:11 AM
Ziot ain't leaving the left coast. The only way that happens is if one of the NYC teams offer him ridiculous money. My guess is he winds up with the Angels or Dodgers.

Zito and his satin pillow cases ain't coming to Cincinnati anytime soon unless it's as a Padre or a Dodger.

Exactly how I feel too.

I look at the off-season pitching market, who is in demand, the competition and who is also out there shopping and what they are willing to pay, and where a pitcher would/would not want to play... and I simply don't see either a Zito or any other frontline SP coming to Cincinnati. Unless we throw lots and lots of money at them. And then we have to be careful because we have other dire needs that require addressing.

And I don't say that because it will be due to a lack of desire or effort on this FO's part either.

On a side note....

I really wish some fans would get behind this new FO management, quit comparing them to Lindner & Co., and at least give them the opportunity/chance to prove themselves. They made some darn fine moves in '06, and yes, they may have very well made a blunder in "the trade".

But many it seems are evaluating them solely on that trade while being oblivious to the other solid moves they did make.

I have no problem whatsoever with the fans giving them hell over that trade. But one bad deal does not, in a "telling" sense, mean that this FO doesn't have a clue, is in chaos, and we're in for the "same-o same-o".

Give'em a chance for crying out loud!

I understand that some won't because they don't like the hiring of Krivsky to begin with, and they are going to ride his butt until he is out of town. So regardless of what he does, they will find some fault. Throughout this past season I've heard various off-handed and snide remarks about the Twins organization on here, where Krivsky mentored, and that they appear to be scared too death that he is going to try and re-duplicate that here. As if there is something wrong with that?

But I will say this..... coming from an organization such as the Twins, what they have been able to accomplish on a consistent basis up there, and having done so by scouting,developing players, and not by giving out huge contracts, I don't see Krivsky changing that practice here. It doesn't mean he won't spend (Dunn contract). I think it means he won't be foolish and commit alot of money to just one player, thinking it will fix this thing.

I'm still sticking to my guns and saying they need to begin with this off-season and start to put the pieces together incrementally, and begin to work this organization out of the hole (so to speak) that it was placed in by the previous (and inept) FO.

No one on here, in their right mind, cannot disavow that over the last 6 years this organization suffered from "head in butt" syndrome when it came to direction and building a winning/competitive franchise.

I almost wish, in a roundabout kind of way, that we hadn't done as well this past season (regardless of how bad the NL was), simply due to the fact that it now has caused alot of fans to forget just really how bad of shape this organization was in going into '06. And it's now got many thinking we are on the crisp of something really big going into '07 IF this FO does everything that the fans expect of them in this off-season.

When I look at what all needs to be addressed on this team, there is no way they can correct all of those problems in one off-season. Yet many seem to think they should. And anything less means it's Linder & Co. all over again.

That does not mean I am in any way letting this FO off the hook or making any excuses for them to fail. I simply don't want them to panic and make stupid decisions.

I want to start seeing "pieces" of their future plan for this team, beginning in this off-season.

Our pitching staff, tentatively, ging into the new season is....

Harang (arb eligible, and due for a nice raise)
Arroyo
Milton (last year @ 9 Mil)
Claussen
? (Lohse, Rameriz, Belisle, who knows)

And we have Bailey somewhere in the horizen.

This is where they need to do their homework first and foremost. And looking at the FA pitchers, the market itself, it's gonna be tough. I just don;t want them to go out and give up another Milton contract while we are still under the one.

They also need to address the middle INF defense.

But then we have the bullpen and bench strength.

So there is alot to be addressed, and I don't see them correcting it all in one off-season IMHO.

Matt700wlw
11-02-2006, 09:56 PM
Well, BobC, as I look at it - you actually directed pressure to yourself. Open the checkbook.

Could be he was saying the money is available...it's up to Wayne to put it to good use...

I don't think Bob is going to spend it to spend it...he's not going to say "here's 90 million...go spend it." I DO think he'll fork out more if it means getting a deal done for the right player....

That's when the baseball people come in to play. Remember, Dan O'Brien said Dave Williams was going to be a stud pitcher (I guess he could still turn out to be)...that's why Bob agreed to trade Casey. Turned out to be more of a salary dump than anything...

Now, DanO is no longer here....