PDA

View Full Version : Computer losing some zip on some games

TeamCasey
10-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Hi guys,

My desktop is 4 years old. It works fine. I have noticed that it's slow playing certain games (like Jungle Gin in Pogo). I suppose gaming needs may be passing my computer's abilities.

What sorts of things can I look at to give it a nudge?

It's Windows XP Service Pack 2. (I know .... I groaned when that came along). Pentium 4, 1,90 GHz, 1.89 Ghz, 512 Ram

Should I look to upgrade memory, graphics card ..... ?

TeamCasey
10-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Oh yeah, it's not my internet connection. I've played the same games on my work laptop and I have no trouble at all. Sssshhhhh ..... I was just testing.

TeamCasey
10-08-2006, 05:38 PM
...... and I've run Ad Aware, Disk cleanup/defrag and cleared my cache, etc.

Reds4Life
10-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Needs more RAM.

KronoRed
10-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Windows slows down the longer it goes without a reinstall, it just happens no matter how clean the system is.

OldRightHander
10-08-2006, 07:57 PM
You could remove the word "computer" from the title of this thread and insert the name of any number of pitchers the Reds have had over the years.

Heath
10-08-2006, 09:21 PM
You could remove the word "computer" from the title of this thread and insert the name of any number of pitchers the Reds have had over the years.

So says the 'resident optimist' :rolleyes:

:D

HumnHilghtFreel
10-08-2006, 10:16 PM
RAM/Memory is usually the culprit in a computer slowing down

FoReel
10-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Wow, if your not able to run simple games like that on pogo, it means a)Theres a malfunction with your hardware b) You need to update your hardwares drivers. C) You have a lot of spyware and trojans that are undetected by scans and if this is the case I just usually reformat it.

GAC
10-09-2006, 04:44 AM
While more RAM may help, 512 should still be sufficient.

What kind on graphics card is installed?

And as FoReel already suggested, you may need to update your drivers.

And AdAware doesn't always get all spyware.

I suggest getting Webroot's Spy Sweeper. I think it is the best on the market. You can download it for a free 30 day trial. But afterwards, it's $30 well invested.

I run it and AdAware.

http://www.webroot.com/land/freescan-3000.php?rc=4929&ac=5191048

TRF
10-09-2006, 01:25 PM
I run Zone Alarm as my firewall, AVG as my anti virus and ewido as my anti spyware. All have pay versions, but I run the free versions. I also run Microsofts Windows Defender as a second spyware search, then Ad Aware. I run all three about once a month.

makes me feel somewhat safe.

StillFunkyB
10-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Hi guys,

My desktop is 4 years old. It works fine. I have noticed that it's slow playing certain games (like Jungle Gin in Pogo). I suppose gaming needs may be passing my computer's abilities.
What sorts of things can I look at to give it a nudge?

It's Windows XP Service Pack 2. (I know .... I groaned when that came along). Pentium 4, 1,90 GHz, 1.89 Ghz, 512 Ram

Should I look to upgrade memory, graphics card ..... ?

That PC should be just fine for playing those games. Even though you have cleaned up your hard drive some, if you haven't reinstalled your operating system in 4 years, the Windows Registry is probably a nice little mess. There are some tools out there to help you, and if you feel ok about trying something before doing a complete reinstall of your OS, then I would try one of them. I personally like TuneUp Utilities http://www.tune-up.com/

TeamCasey
10-10-2006, 07:20 AM
Thanks everyone. I'll try some of these when I get home again.

GAC
10-10-2006, 08:37 AM
That PC should be just fine for playing those games. Even though you have cleaned up your hard drive some, if you haven't reinstalled your operating system in 4 years, the Windows Registry is probably a nice little mess. There are some tools out there to help you, and if you feel ok about trying something before doing a complete reinstall of your OS, then I would try one of them. I personally like TuneUp Utilities http://www.tune-up.com/

Is Ace Utilies, which I have, pretty much the same thing?

http://www.download.com/Ace-Utilities/3000-2086_4-10145494.html

StillFunkyB
10-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Is Ace Utilies, which I have, pretty much the same thing?

http://www.download.com/Ace-Utilities/3000-2086_4-10145494.html

Yes, it is very similar. There are several of these little programs out there. I just suggested the one I have used before.

TeamBoone
10-10-2006, 01:56 PM

Is this tool something that keeps things running smoothly (once installed) or do you have to run it periodically?

Also, I've always been afraid to reinstall my entire OS, though I know you're supposed to do it every so often.

Do you have to save your personal stuff to floppy or DVD before doing this? After installation, does it reset everything to the manufacturer's default settings? Do you just run the disks that come with your computer?

I doubt the last one, it just can't be that easy. See why I'm afraid to do it? I have no idea what to do.

StillFunkyB
10-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Is this tool something that keeps things running smoothly (once installed) or do you have to run it periodically?

Also, I've always been afraid to reinstall my entire OS, though I know you're supposed to do it every so often.

Do you have to save your personal stuff to floppy or DVD before doing this? After installation, does it reset everything to the manufacturer's default settings? Do you just run the disks that come with your computer?

I doubt the last one, it just can't be that easy. See why I'm afraid to do it? I have no idea what to do.

TB,

Depends on your computer. Some PC's come with "restore" disks that will erase your drive, and reset it to factory default. If you are not comfortable reinstalling your OS, than this would be a good option. If you have a Dell, some of them have a "restore" partition that holds this info, so you don't need any disks. If you don't have any of the above you will need a Windows install CD to reinstall your OS. You do need to backup all of your personal data, and don't forget those MP3's you purchased on iTunes (if you did indeed do so). The easiest way to backup those things before you go about a project like that is to use a USB "thumb drive". A cd only holds around 700mb so a DVD (4000+ mb) would be better should you choose to go that route.

As far as the utility I recomended, I do believe it has some automation features, but I do not use those. If having your PC scheduled and do everything by itself, then I would research the program a little more, and see if it's the right fit for you. The one Greg mentioned might be better, I don't know.