WMR
10-09-2006, 12:55 AM
Ugh. Disgusting.

TeamBoone
10-09-2006, 01:05 AM
I'll drink to that.

vaticanplum
10-09-2006, 01:14 AM
I felt kinda happy for them...:help: Felt very bad for the Padres though.

They really have to be commended in a way. The story of these division series is and will continue to be DAVID TOPPLING GOLIATH (Tigers over Yanks). This is already totally revisionist. The Tigers have been a solid and dangerous team all year long, with top-notch pitching, a well-rounded team, and a very smart manager. As a Yankees fan I can tell you that none of my fellow fans expected that series to be a walk in the park for the Yankees. Sometimes I really believe that the press plays up the strength of the Yankees just so they can speak more dramatically if and when they fall.

The Cardinals, on the other hand, limped into the playoffs with by far the worst record of any playoff team (and worse in fact than a handful of other teams that did not even make the playoffs). They choked so badly at the end of the season that they almost didn't make it, and many thought it was a disgrace that they did. Half their team is hurt, some badly, and their pitching is mostly a joke. I can't recall a single prediction that believed they would even get out of this round. Yet they beat the Padres convincingly in four. Of all the series, this was the one in which the underdog really came through. I am not a Cardinals fan by any means, but I recognize how impressive this win was for them.

MWM
10-09-2006, 01:18 AM
They should have just cancelled the NL playoffs this year and added two more Wild Cards to the AL. As an NL fan, I'm embarassed that the Cards and Padres were even playing in the playoffs. And the Mets without their #1 and #3 starter aren't really much better.

RedFanAlways1966
10-09-2006, 08:08 AM
Good lord... the Cards vs. the Mets for the NL crown. :barf:

Pleasant... the Tigers vs. the A's for the AL crown. :)

Perhaps I just find it easier to hate other NL teams b/c my fav team is in the NL? I have hated the Mets since 1973 and the NLCS... I was young but was old enough to get it. The Cards... no explanation needed here.

The Tigers are easy to like this year. Casey, young (not D'Meat) players, only the 6th highest payroll in the AL. The A's too... lowest payroll of all the teams that made the playoffs this year (#11 in the AL & #21 in MLB).

jnwohio
10-09-2006, 09:54 AM
The Reds went 9-6 against the Cards (and 10-5 v. the 'Stros). Should we be mad that the Cards are still in or should we be mad at our guys for not closing out the deal against the likes of the Brewers and Cubs?

Of course how can a team win a divison when it played under .500 within it like the Cards did? That pretty much exposes the divisions for what they really are, just artificial groupings of 5 or 6 teams with a playoff spot reserved for the team among each group with the best overall record versus divergent schedules.

At the least I would like to see the teams within the division play each other the same amount of times. Ideally they would play the same exact schedule but I guess everybody loves interleague play so much that will not happen; but they ought to make the schedules identical except for the interleague.

Here is my crazy thought for the day. If they can't make the schedules identical within divisions, adopt a points system like soccer or hockey for awarding the divisional championships. Weight intradivisional wins at 2 points and all others at 1. They could keep the current traditional standings to settle the wildcard.

macro
10-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Perhaps I just find it easier to hate other NL teams b/c my fav team is in the NL?

I think you've hit on it right there, RFA. As a Reds / Bengals fan, I'm the same way. With the exception of the Yankees and maybe the Red Sox, I'm fairly indifferent about the teams in the AL. In the NL, however, there are a few teams that I really don't like at all. In the NFL. I always root against the 49ers and Cowboys in the NFC (unless, hypothetically, the Bengals need them to win in a playoff scenario), but really don't have any strong feelings either way for the rest of the NFC teams. In the AFC, on the other hand, there are several teams that I really don't like.

As for this World Series, I'll be for the AL, regardless of who's playing. The hideous uniforms the Mets wear is reason enough to hope they lose. At least the Cardinals, A's, and Tigers know how to dress.

:laugh:

blumj
10-09-2006, 11:43 AM
At least the Tigers know how to dress.

:laugh:

Yeah, fortunately, they don't dress anything like the Bengals. :laugh: Shouldn't Bengals fans just naturally root for the Tigers, though, anyway?

tsj017
10-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Ugh. Disgusting.

I completely agree.

After the Cardinals bumbled and stumbled their way to being one of the lamest playoff teams ever . . . watch them get by a Mets team that's lost Pedro and Cliff Floyd.

Then we spend another week hearing about the mighty Cardinals, Sir Albert, the genius of Tony LaRussa (World Series record: 5-13), and the "greatest baseball fans in the world".

Forget the Dodgers; that was 30 years ago. I'm really starting to dislike the Cardinals.

Red in Chicago
10-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Perhaps I just find it easier to hate other NL teams b/c my fav team is in the NL?

i was thinking about this the other day...i seem to always favor the american league team's in the playoffs...yet, the funny thing is, that i absolutely hate american league baseball, due to the dh...i will never root for the cardinals or the mets...as for the tigers, they've been down and out so long, i'm pulling for them...

WMR
10-09-2006, 03:02 PM
i was thinking about this the other day...i seem to always favor the american league team's in the playoffs...yet, the funny thing is, that i absolutely hate american league baseball, due to the dh...i will never root for the cardinals or the mets...as for the tigers, they've been down and out so long, i'm pulling for them...

I'm definitely like that.

I root for AL over NL.

Less so for me as far as football is concerned. I always root for an NFC team to beat an AFC team during the regular season, b/c that might help the Bengals, but not always in the Super Bowl.

ThatsAStrike
10-09-2006, 04:13 PM
As soon as St. Louis made the last out I changed the channel. I just didn't want to see it.

SultanOfSwing
10-10-2006, 03:19 PM
I completely agree.

After the Cardinals bumbled and stumbled their way to being one of the lamest playoff teams ever . . . watch them get by a Mets team that's lost Pedro and Cliff Floyd.

Then we spend another week hearing about the mighty Cardinals, Sir Albert, the genius of Tony LaRussa (World Series record: 5-13), and the "greatest baseball fans in the world".

Forget the Dodgers; that was 30 years ago. I'm really starting to dislike the Cardinals.
100% agree!!

There is no team in professional sports I detest more than the the Cardinals. Their very existence (and attitude) is repulsive to me.
:barf:

Strikes Out Looking
10-10-2006, 03:34 PM
It kills me. The Reds were much better head to head over the Cards this year (and were competitive against the Mets). With a little better in game strategy and use of the roster, the Reds should be competing for the World Series. Instead, we're all sitting around fighting with each other about whether a different manager would have made a difference, whether Adam Dunn will ever really be what Adam Dunn can be, whether Jason Schmidt is the answer, blah blah blah, yada yada yada.

I'm just hoping the pain of the collapse goes away by December.

OnBaseMachine
10-10-2006, 07:10 PM
They should have just cancelled the NL playoffs this year and added two more Wild Cards to the AL. As an NL fan, I'm embarassed that the Cards and Padres were even playing in the playoffs. And the Mets without their #1 and #3 starter aren't really much better.

Amen to that.

The Cardinals suck, and quite frankly don't deserve to be in the playoffs. Go Mets!

Falls City Beer
10-10-2006, 07:37 PM
But I'll take the Mets' offense over any remaining team in the playoffs. If the Mets make it, they won't roll over and die.

George Foster
10-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Ugh. Disgusting.

Let's hope the Reds players found it disgusting as well. I think it's stupid to celebrate like that after winning the first round. Does that happen in Basketball or football...no. You win the World Series...you get to pop the champagne....should be a rule.

tsj017
10-11-2006, 01:14 PM
I think it's stupid to celebrate like that after winning the first round.

I agree with this, too. It occurred to me watching the Tigers celebrate after beating the Yankees. Nothing against the Tigers; I hope they win it all.

However . . . winning the first round only means you get to keep playing. You haven't won a pennant. If you go on to lose the NLCS, no one will remember that you won the first round.

The Reds swept the Dodgers in the '95 Division Series. And what does everyone remember about the Reds postseason that year? That the Braves spanked us in 4 straight and made us look really bad in doing it.

oneupper
10-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Two words: Chris Carpenter.

That's it, all you need in these short series is a hot pitcher and few breaks.

Newman4
10-13-2006, 08:17 AM
One down, three to go! If Carpenter loses tonight, they're done. C'mon Mets put them out quick.

foxfire123
10-15-2006, 11:29 PM
**sigh** Try living around here. I hear another word about how Godly "Prince Albert" is I'M going to puke. I'm loving seeing the Mets stomp all over them tonight.

Foxfire123

M2
10-16-2006, 12:59 AM
I hated the Dodgers back in the day, the Pirates and A's too, but the Reds simply haven't mattered enough of late to make me feel like any other team qualifies as a rival these days. I hated those teams because they mattered, because the Reds needed me to hate them. Somebody else pulling for one of those teams against the Reds more than I was pulling for the Reds against those teams could have tipped the karma balance for a given game or series or division title.

I'm not mad at the Cardinals for beating on the Reds every year. I'm mad at the Reds for being such a doormat. I can't muster up an ounce of antipathy for the Cardinals taking the division every year. It's not like they're taking it away from the Reds. Somebody's got to win the thing.

Topcat
10-16-2006, 04:29 AM
My honest feelings is to analyze it is to prove that you read crap into crap its alot to do with nothing. It is nothing more than an article and to say Krivsky is going to build the team and not consider the talent he already has on hand is pure bull pucky.

RFS62
10-16-2006, 08:05 AM
I hated the Dodgers back in the day, the Pirates and A's too, but the Reds simply haven't mattered enough of late to make me feel like any other team qualifies as a rival these days. I hated those teams because they mattered, because the Reds needed me to hate them. Somebody else pulling for one of those teams against the Reds more than I was pulling for the Reds against those teams could have tipped the karma balance for a given game or series or division title.

I'm not mad at the Cardinals for beating on the Reds every year. I'm mad at the Reds for being such a doormat. I can't muster up an ounce of antipathy for the Cardinals taking the division every year. It's not like they're taking it away from the Reds. Somebody's got to win the thing.

Killer post.

I feel the same way. I just don't hate the Cardinals the way I hated the Dodgers back in the day.

The only thing I'm getting pretty tired of is hearing how it's baseball heaven. When you're cool, you don't have to go around shouting "hey, I'm cool". Everyone knows it.

MWM
10-16-2006, 08:46 AM
Killer post.

I feel the same way. I just don't hate the Cardinals the way I hated the Dodgers back in the day.

The only thing I'm getting pretty tired of is hearing how it's baseball heaven. When you're cool, you don't have to go around shouting "hey, I'm cool". Everyone knows it.

That's why I've grown to despise "Cardinal Nation." I'm tired of the fans so full of their own virtue they've become insufferable. I didn't feel this way until the last couple of years.

OldXOhio
10-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Yeah, let me throw my hat in the "I'm tired of the Cardinals" ring as well. Other than Jim Edmonds, their ownership of the Central and having to hear about them all the time due to my living in a Cardinals town, I really have no reason to dislike them, certainly not to the degree of how I felt about the Dodgers in the 70s. I just do.

Oh yeah, here's another: Joe Buck. Do I really need to hear a Cardinals reference amidst the call of an NFL game on a Sunday afternoon?

RollyInRaleigh
10-16-2006, 09:11 AM
The Cardinals don't bother me at all. They've had a nice run, recently, and there is no reason that their fans shouldn't be proud. They support their team very well, and it is quite impressive the way they fill the stadium. Really wish the folks of the tri-state area would support the Reds the same way.

If the Reds ever get it back together, I would love to be able to "hate" a team the way I used to hate the Dodgers. M2's post was right on the money.

M2
10-16-2006, 09:35 AM

I tend to think that's the result of three things. A) They do have a pretty good baseball town there and that merits some pride, Cincinnati used to puff its chest a bit about that too, B) They probably crow about it to excess because they feel a bit flown over by the national media, C) The team hasn't actually won the whole shebang since 1982, which undermines any attempts at quiet cool. Right now Cardinals nation is hanging its hat on "We like baseball more than you" rather than on actual accomplishment. Red Sox fans were so scarred by 86 years in the weeds they weren't able to affect a quiet cool even after 2004.

MississippiRed
10-16-2006, 11:50 AM

I certainly understand where you are coming from M2, can't argue with it a bit. Since I've been on Redszone, I realized how little I paid attention to the Reds the past few years until this year. I can still generate some hatred for the Cardinals, however, when I look at the smug Larussa and think how close the Reds were to being in their position right now. If we'd won a few more games here and there, with the Mets losing their pitching, I would love to have Arroyo and Harang going in the postseason. Not that I think we'd match up well with the Tigers, (or A's, or Yankees, or Twins).

I also feel bad for the Mets, who had a great season and might even have been competitive in the World Series except for those untimely injuries.

tsj017
10-20-2006, 12:09 AM
I completely agree.

Ugh. Sometimes I hate to be right.

Go Tigers.

George Foster
10-20-2006, 12:22 AM
This just proves that anything can happen if you just get to the playoffs. I really did not ever understand posters here, at this forum say, that it did not matter if the Reds made it or not to the playoffs because they would get swept in the 1st round. The Cards sucked the whole month of September and just "hung on." Anything can happen.

MartyFan
10-20-2006, 12:47 AM
Sort of like when the Reds swept the A's when they "weren't supposed to.

Anything can happen and it often does.

Strikes Out Looking
10-20-2006, 07:57 AM
Sort of like when the Reds swept the A's when they "weren't supposed to.

Anything can happen and it often does.

Yes, anything can happen. That is why, when you are not mathematically or even logically close to being eliminated from the post season in September, you do not give up. Even with the West Coast Collapse, the Reds were still in it when they came back, but they (or at least the decision makers) gave up. I can't believe I'm still burning up over this and its been weeks since the Reds played a game.

BuckWoody
10-20-2006, 08:56 AM
The Cardinals don't bother me at all. They've had a nice run, recently, and there is no reason that their fans shouldn't be proud. They support their team very well, and it is quite impressive the way they fill the stadium. Really wish the folks of the tri-state area would support the Reds the same way.
I would tend to think that if the Reds put together a nice long run of good seasons with a couple of World Series appearances, the GABP would be full most every game. Conversely, put the Cardinals through six straight losing seasons with shoddy leadership and see what happens to their attendance.

St. Louis is still a good baseball town but I think that Cincinnati is too.

MississippiRed
10-20-2006, 10:17 AM
The Reds went 9-6 against the Cards (and 10-5 v. the 'Stros). Should we be mad that the Cards are still in or should we be mad at our guys for not closing out the deal against the likes of the Brewers and Cubs?

This describes my feelings exactly. I need to get back to work, but also needed to commiserate with some like-minded folks. The "what-ifs" are just driving me crazy (not that that's such a long trip).

Matt700wlw
10-20-2006, 11:38 AM
What could have been....

The Reds were playing better baseball at the end than the Cardinals(until eliminated)....however, they let multiple opportunities pass them by all season long.

takealeake
09-28-2010, 10:23 PM
:mooner::all_cohol:all_cohol:all_cohol:all_cohol:j ump::jump:

DocRed
09-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Holy necro post!!:p: