PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Lou or Girardi

KoryMac5
10-09-2006, 10:24 AM
I see a lot of talk on replacing Narron with either Lou or Joe Girardi so I thought it would be time to conduct a poll on how many more wins either manager gives us a shot at.

NJReds
10-09-2006, 10:49 AM
I don't think it matters all that much. Until the talent base changes, you're looking at a .500 team at best.

RedsManRick
10-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Real unbiased poll there....

Joseph
10-09-2006, 11:08 AM
I'm not a Narron fan either, but isn't it wrong to not at least include the option for -None- here?

westofyou
10-09-2006, 11:50 AM
How many more wins would Lou or Girardi give us?

None, Girardi had a weak bat and Lou is just too old.

M2
10-09-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm not so convinced either of those two guys would deliver more wins. Joe Torre however ...

blumj
10-09-2006, 01:10 PM
I'm not so convinced either of those two guys would deliver more wins. Joe Torre however ...
I watch a lot of Yankee games, and I don't see much of a difference in anything Torre does than the rest of them. He has a quick hook and runs his pen into the ground. Some managers have a slow hook and run their starters into the ground instead. Torre has "his guys" that he plays too much just like every other manager, and he messes around with his lineup in strange ways just as much as the rest of them. The one thing I've noticed since getting the MLB EI package and watching a lot of games is that no team's manager really impresses much anymore. One guy always has that "hot season" where everything he touches turns to gold, then he just falls back to the pack with the rest of them.

Highlifeman21
10-09-2006, 01:32 PM
I watch a lot of Yankee games, and I don't see much of a difference in anything Torre does than the rest of them. He has a quick hook and runs his pen into the ground. Some managers have a slow hook and run their starters into the ground instead. Torre has "his guys" that he plays too much just like every other manager, and he messes around with his lineup in strange ways just as much as the rest of them. The one thing I've noticed since getting the MLB EI package and watching a lot of games is that no team's manager really impresses much anymore. One guy always has that "hot season" where everything he touches turns to gold, then he just falls back to the pack with the rest of them.

So you saw how Narron handled Harang and Arroyo this season...

redsfan30
10-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Who in the world voted for 13 or more?

RedFanAlways1966
10-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Who in the world voted for 13 or more?

Someone with darn good drugs or just a major Narron hater? :D

15fan
10-09-2006, 02:26 PM

Yessir. If for some reason Steinbrenner cuts Torre loose, then go get him.

Regardless of what you think about his managerial acumen, he'd be a huge boost in terms of luting better talent to Cincinnati.

And I'm not just talking about on the field talent, either.

Redny
10-09-2006, 02:28 PM
There should be a less than zero option.

M2
10-09-2006, 02:42 PM

What I like most about Torre is that he maximizes good pitching and survives bad pitching. The mileage he got out of Chien-Ming Wang is remarkable when you consider how forgettable Wang's stuff is. He also managed to wring 102.1 useful innings out of Scott Proctor this season, no mean feat. Last year he mined something out of Shawn Chacon and Aaron Small. He's dealt with every bit as much pitching chaos as Terry Francona (whom I also like) over the past two seasons, but Torre's handled it better.

To take it to the position player side of things, I saw Robinson Cano in the minors and what he's done in the majors is a testament to good coaching. That kid easily could have been a free-swinging disaster. He tends to get the most out of his individual players. In less capable hands I'm guessing the Yankees would have a lot more Jesse Barfield/Danny Tartabull types in that lineup.

I've always been impressed how he keeps his club on an even keel despite the media and ownership distractions.

Beyond all of that, he's managed clubs to greatness ... not just wins and a title or two, greatness. I saw Sparky Anderson do it in my youth (and the BRM, despite the legend, could have easily missed out on its formidable promise) and it's a quality that I don't think you can overestimate.

WMR
10-09-2006, 03:58 PM
I think it's silly to say "Sweet Lou OR Girardi."

Our really reliable guy down in Miami, whose name escapes me at the moment, has described Girardi as being just as bad, if not worse, than Jerry in his decisions and justifications.

I don't think he's in the same league as a Lou Piniella.

KronoRed
10-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Not enough...the real culprit was the 3-5 starters.

KoryMac5
10-09-2006, 05:13 PM

Our really reliable guy down in Miami, whose name escapes me at the moment, has described Girardi as being just as bad, if not worse, than Jerry in his decisions and justifications.

My use of these two names were based on a few threads calling for either of these two managers being hired. Ultimately the poll was really to gauge posters on the question of whether or not another manager would have gotten us more wins. Lou and Girardi are the hot names out there.

ramp101
10-09-2006, 05:18 PM

:evil:

WMR
10-09-2006, 05:24 PM
:evil:

There's the man I was thinking of!! LOL

:beerme:

WMR
10-09-2006, 05:30 PM
My use of these two names were based on a few threads calling for either of these two managers being hired. Ultimately the poll was really to gauge posters on the question of whether or not another manager would have gotten us more wins. Lou and Girardi are the hot names out there.

I think Sweet Lou would have given us a few more wins.

Girardi might have made us finish even worse; wouldn't predict anything better. Plus, it would have seriously cut into Dunn's fishing and golfing schedule if he was forced to show up to the ballpark clean-shaven and messing with his head like that very well could have forced him into a deep depression and he might be one of those people who turns to food when depressed resulting in him getting REALLY fat. That certainly wouldn't have won us any more ballgames! :laugh:

GAC
10-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Lou is in high demand, so you can probably cross the Reds off that list. He just turned down the Nats.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2618929

And the Cubs have interviewed Girardi. They can have him. ;)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2618837