PDA

View Full Version : a-rod to the reds??

BUTLER REDSFAN
10-09-2006, 10:44 PM
don't see it on reds live unless i'm missing it, but for what its worth Cunningham today was talking about rumors at the station the reds could be in the running for A-Rod?!? I know Cunningham's a goofball but he did have Marty on with him saying it would take a lot of coulda,shoulda,woulda's but that it could be done....Matt anything on this or was it just Cunningham being Cunningham

Willy
10-09-2006, 11:00 PM
The guy on Sunday afternoon was blowing smoke about why the Reds should do it. He wanted to send Dunn and Larue for A-Rod. The money would work out, but I can't see it happening.

He also wanted he Reds to sign Torre to manage(said he would sign because his wife is from Cincy), then bring Zim out of retirement since he is from Cincy too.

Newport Red
10-09-2006, 11:02 PM
The guy on Sunday afternoon was blowing smoke about why the Reds should do it. He wanted to send Dunn and Larue for A-Rod. The money would work out, but I can't see it happening.

He also wanted he Reds to sign Torre to manage(said he would sign because his wife is from Cincy), then bring Zim out of retirement since he is from Cincy too.

That was Alan Cutler and I had the misfortune of listening to much of it.

redsupport
10-09-2006, 11:53 PM
the reds couldnt afford J. Rod, or F ROd(felix not Frankie)

alloverjr
10-10-2006, 12:10 AM
That was Alan Cutler ...

That's when you should have stopped. Not a worse sports talk host in Cincy, including Furball.

TOBTTReds
10-10-2006, 12:16 AM
I could see it happening...but nothing to even remotely get excited about yet. The odds are probably 20:1 though.

Caseyfan21
10-10-2006, 12:29 AM
I could actually see the Reds in the running for ARod and I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about it. You may think I'm crazy but it's not that farfetched.

Reasons to support ARod coming to Cincy:

1.) BCast wants to make a splash. This is huge and you know he has to make a big move whether trade or free agency this off season. I'm sure he was disappointed with how fans responded down the stretch and wants to make a splash to get people talking Reds baseball again.

2.) Financials - Reds can take on approx $10 million in payroll this offseason by most estimates. Cast has said he would break even so with added TV revenue this figure is probably pretty close. If WayneK can trade either Griff or Dunn than the financials are there to support ARod. The Rangers are still paying quite a bit of his deal so I think I read where the Yanks pay him approx $16 million per year. This is most definately manageable for the Reds should Griff or Dunn get moved (or even Milton).

3.) Steinbrenner needs to make a move - Steinbrenner is po'ed as evidenced by his comments. He, like BCast, needs to do something dramatic as the Mets are doing well and becoming very popular. Whether he were to try and get a player like Dunn or Griffey or Milton, you can make at least a weak case for each of them filling Yankees' needs. Dunn would help the Yanks get younger and would provide another big lefty bat which is what the Yanks like. Griff would bring starpower although I don't see him approving a trade there. Milton would be another starting option for a staff that isn't getting younger (minus Wang).

4.) Reds are out of the spotlight. ARod can come here and would be supported by the Cincy faithful. Heck, if he doesn't produce in October no one in Cincy will care because we will all be shocked the Reds are playing in October.

5.) Reds need a righty bat - We got some lefties but no proven righty power options. That's assuming Dunn/Griff is still here next year. Encarnacion is well on his way to filling this hole but I can't see him stepping into the clean up spot full time yet.

6.) ARod fills a major hole - We could easily slide ARod in at short and quickly have one of the best infields in baseball no matter who is playing first. He could mentor Encarnacion and take the spotlight off him. Him and Phillips would provide the best DP combo for the Reds since the Larkin/Boone or Larkin/Reese days.

These are just a few reasons off the top of my head. Do I think this will ever happen? Absolutely not. Did I think Griffey would ever get traded? Nope but it did happen. I would be happy with ARod coming to Cincy as we would be buying low and he is certainly looking at several more productive seasons.

I still think there will be a major revamping of the roster this offseason. I think the Reds would be better off going after pitching but if they can get ARod cheap then they have to do it.

Caseyfan21
10-10-2006, 12:30 AM
I could see it happening...but nothing to even remotely get excited about yet. The odds are probably 20:1 though.

IMO, those odds are extremely generous.

guttle11
10-10-2006, 01:14 AM

Nah. Dunn, Edwin, and Wood should be enough to get them to start talking. They'd want Bailey also, which wouldn't happen, but Wayne may be able to talk them into Wood.

If the Angels don't want to trade Santana, I'd say our chances would become decent. As shallow as the talent pool is, there's trading chips to play with.

If, by some chance the talks did get serious, I'd be willing to part with anyone not named Homer, Votto, or Bruce to get them to add Melky Cabrera.

Jr's Boy
10-10-2006, 01:58 AM

I concur,more like 60-1

ChatterRed
10-10-2006, 03:06 AM
This thread is good for my heart. Lots of laughter.

Ltlabner
10-10-2006, 08:06 AM
4.) Reds are out of the spotlight. ARod can come here and would be supported by the Cincy faithful. Heck, if he doesn't produce in October no one in Cincy will care because we will all be shocked the Reds are playing in October.

Just like the Cincy faithful wouldn't care how Dunn produced in September because we were all shocked to be playing real games that late in the season?

For a player of that stature and amount of money there would be fans complaining about him from the minute the trade was announced.

RedLegSuperStar
10-10-2006, 08:28 AM
while we're at it.. lets just sign Tino and Edgar Martinez, Jay Buhner, Randy Johnson, Jose Cruz Jr, and Dan Wilson.

Aside from the jokes A-Rod IMO would flurish in GABP. I didn't like the guy as soon as he became the 252Million dollar man. But I give him all the credit in the world for playing in that hostile park known as Yankee stadium. Will he win a ring here in Cincinnati? Who knows.. would he waive his trade clause? To Cincinnati.. I'm not so sure. If it would only take Dunn and LaRue to get the deal done you would have to be a knucklehead not to take it. If Dunn went to the Yankees.. I don't think he'd play a game with them. He would then be turn around for pitching. And LaRue would get what he wants being a back-up still.. but who knows

Caseyfan21
10-10-2006, 08:30 AM
Just like the Cincy faithful wouldn't care how Dunn produced in September because we were all shocked to be playing real games that late in the season?

For a player of that stature and amount of money there would be fans complaining about him from the minute the trade was announced.

Fans grumbling on a message board and the local papers putting ARod's "slump" on the front cover is like little league vs. the major leagues. The Cincinnati media, by and large, really did not jump over Dunn's terrible month while the NYC media were all over ARod's supposed slump when he still has a postseason batting average over .300. Also, Dunn was never boo'ed on a consistent basis like ARod was. This board has been more much more pessimistic than average Joe fan's opinion of Dunn.

Krusty
10-10-2006, 10:49 AM
If A-Rod is traded, it will be to the Angels. Yankees need pitching and the Angels can spare it.

EddieMilner
10-10-2006, 12:52 PM
are you people serious?

RedsManRick
10-10-2006, 01:03 PM
ARod slumped to the tune of a .290/.392/.523 this year. He still has great range, particularly to his left and would be an amazing addition to the Reds. Now the Yankees already have enough LF/1B/DH types, so there's on reason for them to trade for Dunn, but if I could do it, I wouldn't even blink.

Slyder
10-10-2006, 01:14 PM
ARod slumped to the tune of a .290/.392/.523 this year. He still has great range, particularly to his left and would be an amazing addition to the Reds. Now the Yankees already have enough LF/1B/DH types, so there's on reason for them to trade for Dunn, but if I could do it, I wouldn't even blink.

But unlike Giambi, Sheffield, Matsui, etc Dunn isnt on the wrong side of 30. Im sure that if we dangled him out there for the Yanks Steinbrenner would bite. The question isnt "would George be interested" but more so "Whats everyone else offering?". Plus you got to take into account leagues. If youre George do you want to risk trading ARod to an AL Team (Angels, O's, etc) where he might come back and burn you multiple times during the season or limit the risk and trade him to an NL team where the max number of times you have to worry about him is 7?? and thats only if both teams make the World Series.

RedsManRick
10-10-2006, 01:24 PM
But unlike Giambi, Sheffield, Matsui, etc Dunn isnt on the wrong side of 30. Im sure that if we dangled him out there for the Yanks Steinbrenner would bite. The question isnt "would George be interested" but more so "Whats everyone else offering?". Plus you got to take into account leagues. If youre George do you want to risk trading ARod to an AL Team (Angels, O's, etc) where he might come back and burn you multiple times during the season or limit the risk and trade him to an NL team where the max number of times you have to worry about him is 7?? and thats only if both teams make the World Series.

Where would Dunn play next year? The wrong side of 30 only matters when you have plan years in advance at the major league level. The Yankees don't. The Reds have virtually no young pitching to deal and Dunn would have to displace some productive Yankee in the process, while leaving a big hole at 3B.

If he's scared of the AL, why doesn't he give Houston or Chicago a call, both of whom could trade their current 3B and add pitching. I'm not sure I even buy your premise. Contreras was a bust in NY and he trade him to the White Sox.

redsupport
10-10-2006, 01:39 PM
the reds could not afford John rodriguez let alone a rod

2001MUgrad
10-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Interesting. I wouldn't want to part with Edwin though. Anyone else is fair game. I would almost force them with Griffey as part of the trade though.

I don't think the Reds could pick him up though, but you never know. The Rangers are still on a good chunk of that contract aren't they??

crazybob60
10-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Interesting. I wouldn't want to part with Edwin though. Anyone else is fair game. I would almost force them with Griffey as part of the trade though.

I don't think the Reds could pick him up though, but you never know. The Rangers are still on a good chunk of that contract aren't they??

Yes, I believe the Rangers are still on a good portion of the contract. It would be nice to see ARod in a Reds Uniform, but I really doubt its going to happen.
As stated earlier, We would have to give up Dunn, plus probably Edwin and Homer to get it done, and that just wouldn't happen, well the Homer part wouldn't.

SultanOfSwing
10-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Yes, I believe the Rangers are still on a good portion of the contract. It would be nice to see ARod in a Reds Uniform, but I really doubt its going to happen.
As stated earlier, We would have to give up Dunn, plus probably Edwin and Homer to get it done, and that just wouldn't happen, well the Homer part wouldn't.
Nor the Edwin part. Why would give up a great young 3B for a SS? It would include other players, but not EE.

Matt700wlw
10-10-2006, 04:24 PM
don't see it on reds live unless i'm missing it, but for what its worth Cunningham today was talking about rumors at the station the reds could be in the running for A-Rod?!? I know Cunningham's a goofball but he did have Marty on with him saying it would take a lot of coulda,shoulda,woulda's but that it could be done....Matt anything on this or was it just Cunningham being Cunningham

I would guess it's Cunningham being Cunningham....I haven't heard any "official" rumors about it.

The Reds should AT LEAST make a run at it.....I'd love to, if nothing else, see their names in the rumormill with A-rod...at least try.

You never know.

Unassisted
10-11-2006, 04:53 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15211672/

Yankees aren't trading A-Rod, Cashman claims
‘We're going to figure this thing out together,’ GM says of Rodriguez

NEW YORK - Joe Torre will be back with the New York Yankees and it looks as though A-Rod will be, too.

General manager Brian Cashman said the team had no intention of trading Alex Rodriguez, who failed to drive in a run in the playoffs for the second straight year and was dropped to eighth in the batting order.

“I fully expect him to be here,” Cashman said Tuesday. “We’re going to figure this thing out together.”

Earlier, Torre said he would return as manager for his 12th season.

Rodriguez, who has a no-trade clause in his contract, struggled during his third season with the Yankees and was booed throughout the year by fans at Yankee Stadium. Cashman revealed that teams inquired about Rodriguez’s availability up until the July 31 deadline to make trades without waivers.

“The first one I got hit on was late May, I think, or early June and then it got real heavy in the deadline period,” Cashman said.

Right after Saturday night’s loss eliminated the Yankees, Cashman received an e-mail inquiry from a team.

“I wanted to message back: ‘Buzzard,’ “ Cashman said, adding that he expects to receive more offers during the offseason and intends to turn them down.

Rodriguez, the reigning AL MVP, hit .290 with 35 homers and 121 RBIs, and his 24 errors were the most among AL third basemen. He went 1-for-14 (.071) in the first-round playoff loss to Detroit and is 4-for-41 (.098) with no RBIs in his last 12 postseason games.

In New York, where the Yankees are always in the spotlight, Rodriguez has at times seemed uncomfortable in a clubhouse filled with other big stars. Torre said Rodriguez still feels the need to be the central run-producer, even though he has powerful hitters next to him in the lineup.

Even in an “off year” for Rodriguez, his run production was among baseball’s best.

“I know there would be interest in him. There’s no denying that. He’s a very talented player,” Cashman said. “Despite the difficult times that he’s experienced here, people see the results and know that he’s fighting not just the pitcher on the mound, he’s fighting a lot more than that at times.”

After the Yankees were eliminated Saturday, Rodriguez said he wanted to stay with the team.

He is owed, in effect, $66.6 million by New York over the last four seasons of his record $252 million, 10-year contract. Rodriguez receives $95 million, with the Yankees getting $28.4 million from Texas to offset part of that.

“Alex Rodriguez is one of the important pieces to this puzzle here,” Torre said. “He is a human being and there’s a lot of times that he’s not perceived that way. The fact of the matter is that he’ll never be able to be compared to other people because, probably, (of) the enormity of his ability.”

Cashman didn’t think Rodriguez was angry about being dropped to eighth in the batting order in Game 4. He batted sixth in Games 1 and 2, and cleanup in Game 3.

“I don’t know if there is an issue from Alex’s perspective about batting eighth. I haven’t talked to him about it,” Cashman said. “I know one thing that we try to do is check all egos at the door when it comes to who should play and when they should play, where they bat.”

Scott Boras, Rodriguez’s agent, didn’t return a call seeking comment. Cashman said if there was lingering disagreement, Rodriguez and Torre would have to settle it.

“If there is an issue with Alex, then they’ve got to make it right,” Cashman said.

DannyB
10-11-2006, 10:00 PM
This guy thinks hes gone

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-arod111106,0,4028480.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

A-Rod must be traded

By Shaun Powell
Newsday
Posted October 11 2006, 3:33 PM EDT

This is a day devoted to what Joe Torre won, mainly one (and only one) more year in the dugout, plenty of sympathizers and cheerleaders and a sigh of relief among his biggest supporters in Yankeeville.

Congratulations to the manager, who ought to be thankful George Steinbrenner isn't as quick as he used to be, now that age and softness have settled in.

LocalLinks

But this is also about what Torre just lost: Alex Rodriguez.

For good.

It's very difficult to imagine Torre and A-Rod on the same page in The Final Season, arm-in-arm, showering each other with affection and devotion. No way. Not after Torre showed a lack of confidence by dropping a future Hall of Famer to eighth in the lineup. And not after Torre asked for and received his reprieve from Steinbrenner, essentially winning a him-or-me contest.

The Yankees must dump A-Rod now. That would be best for all involved. Eat some salary, call Arte Moreno over in Disneyland and tell the Angels owner that there's a third baseman available on the cheap.

Admit a big mistake, swallow some pride and move on, because putting A-Rod and Torre together for an entire season, when it's clear that they don't have tremendous respect for one another, would be a bad situation waiting to happen.

Not that A-Rod and Torre would be going at each other's throats.

That's not in the makeup of either man; generally, both are good guys and non-confrontational. But there would be tension between two men who would be trapped under a burning magnifying glass. Torre has one year to return to the World Series and A-Rod one year to prove he's fit for pinstripes. Can you imagine the heat come next October, when Torre must sweat out another division series while A-Rod would sweat each at-bat? Do they need this? Do they even deserve it? Look, Torre's greatest strength as a manager is getting through to his players, but he failed this season when it came to Rodriguez, tougher to crack than a bank vault. It might be Torre's biggest failing in his 11 years in the Bronx. A manager's job is to squeeze out the best from his players, and we all know how solid A-Rod can be when he's at his best. But we've yet to see A-Rod's best in October. The superstar third baseman with the big talent and small mental toughness did not respond to anything Torre did, not last week, not last year around this time, not two autumns ago, either.

You get the sense, then, that it simply won't work. There is nothing else in Torre's bag of tricks that can trigger some life from A-Rod when it counts, because if there was, Torre would've used it by now. Torre cannot motivate Rodriguez, and Rodriguez, by now, probably senses that, too. Barring some unforeseen miracle, these two are through.

Maybe A-Rod would've been salvageable had the Yankees turned the managerial job over to Lou Piniella, but that's history now, and likely, so are A-Rod's days in the Bronx.

Question now is, what do you get for a devalued star? Not many teams can afford him, even if the Yankees agree to pay some of his salary. And among the teams that can afford him, he has the right to veto any trade. In other words, he's not going to Baltimore or Toronto. Having tasted victory (in the regular season) after three years with the Yankees, and after wasting the best years of his life in pitching-thin Texas, Rodriguez would only agree to go to a winner.

Especially because he'd have something to prove in the fall.

Moreno is on record as saying the Angels will make a splash for next season, and therefore it's either a trade for Rodriguez or Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada, another high-priced star who's no longer wanted. Maybe the Yankees can get a young arm or two in return, something they've lacked, or maybe Moreno will sense their desperation and offer a couple of rally monkeys instead.

At this point, the Yankees can't be choosy. They already made their choice by sticking with Torre, which must lead to another major decision. Torre thinks it can work between the two, but three Octobers say otherwise. The Yankees just gave the manager new life. Now do the same for A-Rod with a new team.

Thadd
10-12-2006, 12:26 PM
I dont think he would fit in here

savafan
10-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Remember, you heard it here first, A-Rod to Milwaukee. :p:

Razor Shines
10-12-2006, 02:06 PM
I dont think he would fit in here

Yeah who'd want a guy like that? Guys that are going to finish with more than 800 home runs can go to those other teams. Give me Castro and Clayton any day.

Hap
10-12-2006, 02:58 PM
Once again, I would like to point out that I have some ocean-front property for sale in Northwest Ohio near the Mississippi delta. I'll throw in a share of the Brooklyn Bridge for anyone who is interested.

Redsfan08
10-12-2006, 05:29 PM
the reds could not afford John rodriguez let alone a rod

I would trade Every player for A-Rod we would automatically win the NL central

Redsfan08
10-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Yeah who'd want a guy like that? Guys that are going to finish with more than 800 home runs can go to those other teams. Give me Castro and Clayton any day.

Hehe pretty cold:laugh:

redsupport
10-12-2006, 09:46 PM
The Reds have a better chance of acquiring Hank Foiles than ARod