PDA

View Full Version : Possible player scrapes with Narron???

timmario66
10-10-2006, 09:43 AM
From Lance's blog today:

Tuesday, October 10, 2006
Things I'm told today....Narron rumblings
Seems Jerry and Rich Aurilia went nose to nose with a week left in the season, and things got "pretty ugly". Rich told those that saw it, he wasn't coming back if Jerry was in charge in 2007. But I'm told money has a way of talking and if Rich doesn't get a better offer, don't be surprised if Rich returns.
Also....
Rheal Cormier and Jerry had words in the final week of the season over Rheal's role.
The Reds told Rheal from the start that he would only throw in close games when the game was on the line....but through most of the season, they used him all over. Then, with two weeks left, Jerry went up to him and said, sorry we have used you all over, the last two weeks, you will only throw when the game is on the line. The very next day, they got him hot in the pen with a 7 run lead or something. He went nuts on Jerry too.

Verrrrrrrrrry Interesting

Redsland
10-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Shades of "now that Griffey's off the DL, he'll get frequent rest."

Also of note, all three (Griff, Richie, Frenchy) are "veterans."

CySeymour
10-10-2006, 10:02 AM
What in the world could be Rich's beef? As far as Cormier, if he had pitched better, maybe he would have pitched in better situations. Fact is, Shoenweis(sp) out pitched him by a mile.

Ltlabner
10-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Interesting indeed.

One of the areas I give Narron credit for is the handling of the clubhouse and egos. He was able to jungle the 40 bazallion roster changes and on the surface keep everybody happy.

Frankly, IMO his handling of the clubhouse stuff is his best strength. If more of these stories bubble up and discontent spreads then I may have to step into the "it's time to go Jerry" camp.

I think any effective orginization has to start with those in the orginization trusting the leader. If he/she doesn't have that trust forget any sustanable, effective action from the followers.

It will be very interesting to see if more of these stories surface (I'll need more than one mention in on an internet blog to put any stock in this). BC strikes me as the kind of leader that would not like to hear that his manager can't handle his troops.

Chip R
10-10-2006, 10:09 AM
What in the world could be Rich's beef?

I have no clue except that Narron benched Rich a few days during the last week of the season because of some injury. But that may have been after the Reds were eliminated. Perhaps it didn't have anything to do with Rich specifically but how Narron handled certain situations with the team.

puca
10-10-2006, 10:28 AM
Didn't Marty insinuate that during the last week of the season some players took themselves out of the lineup?

joshnky
10-10-2006, 10:38 AM
I think RA has done some good things for us but I wouldn't hate to see him go. I'd love to see this team get younger so we can realistically hope for improvement from our players rather than regressing to the mean. If this is what it takes to seperate RA and the Reds, I'll take it.

RedFanAlways1966
10-10-2006, 10:52 AM
No biggie. Think this does not happen on every ML team, then think again. It is the nature of the beast when 25 guys and one manager "live together" for 6 months. Happened in the old days and happens now. Big differences between now and the "old days":
(1) Manager's used to have more power to fine/punish/DFA for these things.
(2) Lance types who think they are Scoop Davis by reporting things that should stay in the locker-room. Such is the media today.

No big deal though. It happens.

SeeinRed
10-10-2006, 10:59 AM
This is from Lance... You know, the guy everyone was saying was so full of it when he claimed Thom would be hired to work with his dad. Why would you be so quick to believe him now? Sometimes he wants to create controversy. Is there a better way to do that than to claim there are problems in the clubhouse, especially when it includes a guy who has already complained about playing time. Those claims will probably never be disproven. He knows that. If the club says there is no problem, then they are covering it up. If the club says there is a problem he was right. There is no chance that I will believe that there are any major problems in the Reds clubhouse until I hear it from a dependable source. Somebody who spends time in the clubhouse, which Lance doesn't.

Redsland
10-10-2006, 11:16 AM
This is from Lance... You know, the guy everyone was saying was so full of it when he claimed Thom would be hired to work with his dad. Why would you be so quick to believe him now?
Because he was right?

Strikes Out Looking
10-10-2006, 11:17 AM
I have no clue except that Narron benched Rich a few days during the last week of the season because of some injury. But that may have been after the Reds were eliminated. Perhaps it didn't have anything to do with Rich specifically but how Narron handled certain situations with the team.

The Reds weren't eliminated until the last Saturday of the season. I'd like to know what the beefs really were, as Narron's only strength seems to be his relationships with the players. If that's a fiction, why is he still around?

SeeinRed
10-10-2006, 11:27 AM
Because he was right?

Yeah, and he was always right before wasn't he. Because he was right about that, you want to start believing him. Its just unbelievable to me that when Lance reports there are problems, people jump on it like gospel. But when Lance says something like the Brennaman signing was going to happen, its just Lance telling the same old crap.:rolleyes:

Redsland
10-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Was he right?

Ltlabner
10-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Here's a blurb from Marc Sheldons mailbag piece on Reds.com. It is an interesting comment in light of Lance's report...

With so many guys coming in during the season, a lack of clubhouse leadership was exposed in my opinion. Some new additions felt hesitant to speak up on clubhouse issues they found troubling, especially during the late season slide. Others just weren't leadership-type players.

The context of the above sentence regarded the large number of player changes this season and how it may have effected team chemistry.

Here's the link to the whole story..... http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061008&content_id=1705431&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

dabvu2498
10-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Here's a blurb from Marc Sheldons mailbag piece on Reds.com.

Link???

Ltlabner
10-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Link???

Dabvu...added the link to the original post.

JEA
10-10-2006, 12:02 PM
(2) Lance types who think they are Scoop Davis by reporting things that should stay in the locker-room. Such is the media today.

No big deal though. It happens.

It's not just the media. If I'm not mistaken, there's a poster or two right here at RZ that are quick to post a lot of stuff that should stay in the locker room.

But back to the story at hand, I wonder if any of the beat writers were familiar with these episodes. And if so, what was their reasoning for not reporting it? Sure seems that Rich is pretty chummy with some of the beat writers (Hal comes to mind), so I wonder if they were doing the guy a favor by keeping it hush-hush.

In any manner, if true, it really bothers me. NO ONE has championed for Aurilia more than Narron. Remember last season when he was floundering with a sub-.200 batting average and sub-.250 OBP in April/May and still getting starts?

traderumor
10-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Cormier was misused from the day they brought him in, although if true, I don't really care for a player dictating how/when he will be used. Rich may have wanted to see a little more fire out of the squad, or wasn't real tickled with the outfield situation. Some of the lineups reflected a waving of the white flag in the last couple of weeks, which proved to be premature in the end, but was also due to injuries. It looked to me like Rich tried to be a fiery leader toward the end.

flyer85
10-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Cormier was misused from the day they brought him inI agree. The Phils kept him out of late game situations, the Reds were not smart enough when he was first acquired.

In Philly Cormier had an LEV of 1.09(5th).

Always Red
10-10-2006, 12:42 PM
In any manner, if true, it really bothers me. NO ONE has championed for Aurilia more than Narron. Remember last season when he was floundering with a sub-.200 batting average and sub-.250 OBP in April/May and still getting starts?

This is the first thing I thought of, too. If anything, RA should be thanking his lucky stars for Jerry Narron helping to resurrect his career.

Such is today's atmosphere in pro sports, there doesn't seem to be too much loyalty left anymore- instead it's always "what have you done for me, lately?"

Cormier? who cares if a journeyman reliever (that's what he is) is unhappy with how he is used. I understand that he came here with the best ERA in the league; this team was trying to win a division, and if it needed him to go in and stop the bleeding when down big early, in hopes of mounting a comeback, then so be it. He was brought in to help this team win, not to protect his ERA or only use him in certain situations. He doesn't have the cred to complain like that.

Rick White had the same beef when he left, and to his credit, he did pitch better when he was with the Phils.

FWIW, I do believe Lance. He may be rightly accused of being overeager, and doing what he can to market his show (and who can blame him for that?) but I do not think Lance would make things up.

2001MUgrad
10-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Hmm interesting stuff.

Lots of things happen in the clubhouse that we never hear about. Not good when veterans are the ones ticked though. Its not like its Jose Guillen blowing a gasket either.

TeamBoone
10-10-2006, 02:19 PM
It didn't say Rich's problem was a "beef", the word people keep using to describe the situation though Lance didn't. It said they had words; it could have been over anything, even a trivial thing... I'm sure tempers were VERY short all around in the clubhouse during the last couple weeks.

It seems a lot of assumptions are being made with not much available information.

As far as Cormier goes, why on earth would one ever tell a pitcher that he'll only pitch in tight situations? I've never heard of such a thing. You choose your bullpen pitcher as the game situation dictates, while taking into consideration how much the guy's already pitched recently and who else is availabe (or not).

And why even bother to take this public now, a week and a half after the season has ended?

I totally agree with whomever said some things should be left in the clubhouse. And, like I've said more than once in the past, the media has way too much access to the clubhouse for far too long before and after games.

The clubhouse is the players' home away from home and yet they have no privacy except for one hour prior to game time (and a lot of that time is spent on the field). The media has its ears everywhere pretty much all of the time. I'd find that quite frustrating in and of itself if I were on the team.

A lot of the stuff they report isn't the result of an interview; instead it's something that's overheard during a private conversation (or at least as private as it can be under the circumstances) or something that's observed (as the RA/JN incident here). Why not either leave it alone, or reveal what the dispute was over? And if the writer doesn't know, then don't report it. Half truths leave a lot of room for speculation, which is often the intent of the writer, be it right or be it wrong.

smith288
10-10-2006, 02:38 PM
I see Rich being managerial material further on down the road though im not too keen on that being here. maybe he is angling?

TeamBoone
10-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Actually, now that you say it, I think he'd be a good manager... even here.

REDREAD
10-10-2006, 05:48 PM
For alll we know, Rich might've been just as frustrated at Narron's game decisions as we were.

I know I'd be bummed if I played hard until 3 am EST, only to see Franklin brought in to blow the game on the first or second pitch to a backup catcher. There's plenty of examples I'm sure.

The season ended on a sour note. It's natural that the vets are upset about their playoff chances going down the toilet. Something would be wrong with them if they weren't concerned. The playoffs would give someone like Rich a lot of exposure, and potentially a better contract (look at what happened after Womack got playoff exposure with the Cards, he got a nice 2 year contract from NY).

Falls City Beer
10-10-2006, 05:52 PM
For alll we know, Rich might've been just as frustrated at Narron's game decisions as we were.

I know I'd be bummed if I played hard until 3 am EST, only to see Franklin brought in to blow the game on the first or second pitch to a backup catcher. There's plenty of examples I'm sure.

The season ended on a sour note. It's natural that the vets are upset about their playoff chances going down the toilet. Something would be wrong with them if they weren't concerned. The playoffs would give someone like Rich a lot of exposure, and potentially a better contract (look at what happened after Womack got playoff exposure with the Cards, he got a nice 2 year contract from NY).

Redread, your signature with the juxtaposed Krivsky and Castro quotes is worth of a mint of reputation points. Pure genius.

Red Hot Mama
10-17-2006, 12:01 AM
I asked Rich Aurilia himself about this story on the podcast this week.

http://www.red-hot-mama.com/comments.php?id=1133_0_1_0_C

Jpup
10-17-2006, 05:35 AM
I asked Rich Aurilia himself about this story on the podcast this week.

http://www.red-hot-mama.com/comments.php?id=1133_0_1_0_C

so many ways for me to say goodbye. :wave:

good interview. who's next? how about calling up Austin Kearns and see what's going on there?