PDA

View Full Version : Top Japanese prospect headed to the Majors

Reds Fanatic
10-10-2006, 05:01 PM
One of the top Japanese pitching prospects has been given permission to seek a major league contract.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2619621

Highly regarded pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka was given permission by the Seibu Lions on Tuesday to pursue a career in the major leagues.

Matsuzaka, who has drawn interest from several major league teams including the New York Yankees, finished the 2006 regular season with a career-high 17 wins against five losses.

The 26-year-old right-hander posted a 2.13 earned-run average and 200 strikeouts.

Matsuzaka has long been considered one of the brightest prospects in Japanese professional baseball.

Seibu is expected to use the posting system in which major league teams present bids for Japanese players and the highest bidder wins the negotiating rights. Ichiro Suzuki signed with the Seattle Mariners under the same system.

Matsuzaka is still one year away from becoming a free agent.

In his eight-year career in Japan, Matsuzaka has led the Pacific League in wins three times and in strikeouts four times while winning the ERA title twice and the Sawamura Award, Japan's version of the Cy Young Award, once.

Matsuzaka impressed major league scouts when he helped Japan win the inaugural World Baseball Classic title last March and was named MVP of the tournament.

RedLegSuperStar
10-10-2006, 05:06 PM
26.. i didn't know he was that young. He would be a huge pick-up for any team

paintmered
10-10-2006, 05:10 PM
"Mr. Matsuzaka, there's a Mr. Steinbrenner for you on line one...."

KronoRed
10-10-2006, 05:15 PM

Yep, and that's the end of it.

NJReds
10-10-2006, 05:41 PM

I don't know, those Yankee contracts are getting very heavy.

Jeter, ARod (assuming they don't trade him), Giambi, Damon, Matsui, Randy Johnson, Rivera, Pavano, Abreu, Wright and Farnsworth have the Yanks on the hook for $160M next year.

That's if they don't excercise Sheffield's option ($13M) -- they won't
and Posada's option ($12M) -- they will, and Mussina's option ($17M) -- I don't know but think they will.

So if they keep Mussina and Posada, that's $189M.

flyer85
10-10-2006, 05:44 PM
So if they keep Mussina and Posada, that's $189M.chump change

Reds4Life
10-10-2006, 05:47 PM
I don't know, those Yankee contracts are getting very heavy.

Jeter, ARod (assuming they don't trade him), Giambi, Damon, Matsui, Randy Johnson, Rivera, Pavano, Abreu, Wright and Farnsworth have the Yanks on the hook for $160M next year.

That's if they don't excercise Sheffield's option ($13M) -- they won't
and Posada's option ($12M) -- they will, and Mussina's option ($17M) -- I don't know but think they will.

So if they keep Mussina and Posada, that's $189M.

Given the media market and resources George could probably push the payroll to $300 million if he wanted too.

NJReds
10-10-2006, 05:47 PM
chump change

I don't know that I pay Mussina $17M. They could reallocate some of that toward Matsuzaka.

NJReds
10-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Given the media market and resources George could probably push the payroll to $300 million if he wanted too.

That's the question. I don't think he wants to, and I don't think you'll see this payroll go up much more.

Since he's keeping Torre, he'll want Cashman and the "Tampa Mafia" to remodel a bit, he could try to pawn off ARod to the Angels; say so long to Bernie, Sheffield and Mussina, and work from there.

flyer85
10-10-2006, 05:52 PM
I don't know that I pay Mussina $17M. They could reallocate some of that toward Matsuzaka.or they could just pay both and still turn a profit.

Reds4Life
10-10-2006, 05:54 PM
That's the question. I don't think he wants to, and I don't think you'll see this payroll go up much more.

Since he's keeping Torre, he'll want Cashman and the "Tampa Mafia" to remodel a bit, he could try to pawn off ARod to the Angels; say so long to Bernie, Sheffield and Mussina, and work from there.

I think A-Rod will end up staying.

Next season is Torre's last, it's the final year of his contract and will probably retire after that. Wonder who they'll go after as the next manager? I know George is a big fan of Don Mattingly and he's already on the staff.

NJReds
10-10-2006, 05:56 PM
I think A-Rod will end up staying.

Next season is Torre's last, it's the final year of his contract and will probably retire after that. Wonder who they'll go after as the next manager? I know George is a big fan of Don Mattingly and he's already on the staff.

I heard some of the local commentators wondering if Mattingly would get replaced as hitting coach...

It's hard to say what George will do. Piniella is also one of his favorites, but he's forgoing the opportunity to bring him in. Jerry Narron was a Yankee once...;)

flyer85
10-10-2006, 05:58 PM
I heard some of the local commentators wondering if Mattingly would get replaced as hitting coach...
maybe he can pitch, I guess leading the league in runs scored isn't good enough.

Reds4Life
10-10-2006, 05:59 PM

I was wondering the same thing honestly. All the talk was of the Yankee offense sucking in the playoffs, yet Mattingly got a pass for it and nobody mentioned him in the national press.

Just goes to show you what happens in a short series, you can pretty much throw everything out the window.

flyer85
10-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Just goes to show you what happens in a short series, you can pretty much throw everything out the window.
BP did an analysis showing the traits that correlate best to winning in the playoffs. The answer was pitching and the Tigers are as good as any team in baseball.

NJReds
10-10-2006, 06:03 PM
I was wondering the same thing honestly. All the talk was of the Yankee offense sucking in the playoffs, yet Mattingly got a pass for it and nobody mentioned him in the national press.

Although they said the same thing about Stottlemyre when he was pitching coach. They replaced him with Guidry, and the result was pretty much the same...except for Procter, who really turned it around.

Sometimes you can't teach old dogs new tricks. I mean Cano and Melky Cabrera thrived under Mattingly. I wonder if the older guys even listen to a hitting coach...even if it is Donny Baseball.