PDA

View Full Version : Things That Only You Do With Your Food

Dom Heffner
10-11-2006, 12:01 AM
Thought it might be fun to see the crazy things Redzoners do to their food.

I like to put dark chocolate Raisinets in my Cocoa Crispies. Awesome.

Anybody else?

10-11-2006, 01:20 AM
I like mixing a can of tuna with catsup and hot sauce and putting it on crackers. With beer, of course.

I used to by the spanish rice Rice A Roni and put tuna and catsup in it too.

Tabasco on popcorn is pretty good sometimes.

HumnHilghtFreel
10-11-2006, 01:47 AM
I can eat hot sauce and mustard on just about anything. That's probably not unique to me, but one of those two are on just about everything I eat.

vaticanplum
10-11-2006, 01:48 AM
I like mixing a can of tuna with catsuand hot sauce and putting it on crackers. With beer, of course.

I used to by the spanish rice Rice A Roni and put tuna and catsup in it too.

Tabasco on popcorn is pretty good sometimes.

I drink tabasco sauce, actually I prefer really hot habanero sauce :help: My ex-boyfriend used to freak out about this. But I hate to cook, and tabasco sauce is filling, and I like spicy food.

Now THIS is something that's crazy, but is actually delicious: Ritz crackers, peanut putter, cherry tomato slice, salt. Voila, it's a meal, and one that melts in your mouth. you may laugh, but go try it. I learned this from a real chef, by the way.

GAC
10-11-2006, 07:38 AM
I like mixing a can of tuna with catsuand hot sauce and putting it on crackers.

Is that cats or catsup? I'm calling PETA! :lol:

I like bologna, cheese, peanut butter and potato chip sandwiches. I've been eating them since high school.

I like putting CATSUP in my homemade beef and noodles.

dabvu2498
10-11-2006, 08:20 AM
I put Doritos on cold cut sandwiches and crunch them up real good before I eat em. Nothing like eating healthy.

RedFanAlways1966
10-11-2006, 08:24 AM
Very finicky eater here. I'll enjoy reading these posts... but I will never try any of them! I will not even eat Taco Bell... the meat looks like (take a good guess) anything other than meat to me.

MrCinatit
10-11-2006, 08:26 AM
I dip my shrimp in ketchup.
The seafood shrimp, not my.....nevermind.

max venable
10-11-2006, 08:53 AM
I like to take a can of kidney beans and mix in a healthy portion of Marzetti's Slaw Dressing. Very tasty.

RFS62
10-11-2006, 09:02 AM
I got nuthin'.

I'm just waiting for Red in Chicago to chime in.

dabvu2498
10-11-2006, 09:06 AM
I like to take a can of kidney beans and mix in a healthy portion of Marzetti's Slaw Dressing. Very tasty.

Oddly, I think I know what I'm going to do for lunch now. Nothing like eating healthy!

Tommyjohn25
10-11-2006, 09:21 AM
I eat pretty healthy nowadays, but I used to be known for a mean peanut butter and fried onion sandwich. Good stuff.

BTW this thread made me hungry.

Coffeybro
10-11-2006, 09:46 AM
I put Doritos on cold cut sandwiches and crunch them up real good before I eat em. Nothing like eating healthy.

Your not alone on that. Thought I would add a couple of mine being from the south.

Tomato Sandwich - White bread, homegrown tomatoes, salt, pepper, and real (preferably Dukes) Mayonaise (never miracle whip)

Slaw Dogs - Hot dogs with Slaw, chili, onions, ketchup, and mustard.

Johnny Footstool
10-11-2006, 09:49 AM
No tomatoes. Ever.

Spaghetti with no sauce. Pizza with no sauce. Fries with no ketchup.

Tomatoes cause cancer. I can prove this because I don't eat tomatoes and I don't have cancer. Irrefutable evidence.

The weirdest thing I do eat is popcorn kernels -- the unpopped variety you find in the bottom of the popcorn bowl. The half-popped ones are good, too.

Dom Heffner
10-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Tomatoes cause cancer. I can prove this because I don't eat tomatoes and I don't have cancer. Irrefutable evidence.

That reminds me of Mitch Hedberg's roundabout AIDS test:

"Hey, do you know anyone with AIDS? No? Well good, because you know me..."

vaticanplum
10-11-2006, 10:18 AM
No tomatoes. Ever.

Spaghetti with no sauce. Pizza with no sauce. Fries with no ketchup.

:laugh:

Shaun Ryder of the Happy Mondays is adamant about not eating tomatoes. Somebody asked him why once in an interview, and he said it's because he grew up next to a sewage yard. Get this -- the human body does not digest tomato seeds, so the seeds would sprout amongst the human waste and the landfill was always covered in tomato plants. He said that it was quite beautiful, but he's never been able to eat tomatoes because he associates it with, well, feces.

That turned me off from tomatoes for a while, but not for too long. I'm Italian and my family has a hard enough time with my being a vegetarian, they'd disown me if I gave up tomatoes. But I am always surprised at the amount of people I run across who won't eat them. And they're always ADAMANT about it.

Roy Tucker
10-11-2006, 10:29 AM
The weirdest thing I do eat is popcorn kernels -- the unpopped variety you find in the bottom of the popcorn bowl. The half-popped ones are good, too.

If there is a niche in the American food market, it will get filled.

http://www.popnots.com/index.php

BUTLER REDSFAN
10-11-2006, 10:33 AM
am i the only one that does this--whenever i eat a big sandwich like a big boy,whopper etc i smash the sandwich between my 2 hands to make it as flat as possible

westofyou
10-11-2006, 10:43 AM
Very finicky eater here. I'll enjoy reading these posts... but I will never try any of them! I will not even eat Taco Bell... the meat looks like (take a good guess) anything other than meat to me.

My friend was telling me the other day she was told by a TB Employee that the meat is more Soy then Moo... she said they don't mark it as ground beef in the kitchen.

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

I had a friend in HS who would eat tuna fish, mixed with mac and cheese, ketchup and applesauce.

Since I don't eat meat there isn't really anything too weird that I eat, though my wife thinks it's weird that I'l make my own Meza Plates.

In HS I went through a phase where I ate Peanut Butter and Marshmellow whip sandwiches slathered in Wheat Germ and also Grilled Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches.

Ltlabner
10-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Since I don't eat meat there isn't really anything too weird that I eat, though my wife thinks it's weird that I'l make my own Meza Plates.

In HS I went through a phase where I ate Peanut Butter and Marshmellow whip sandwiches slathered in Wheat Germ and also Grilled Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches.

Wow...you really are a hippie. :p:

Roy Tucker
10-11-2006, 10:56 AM
There was a time in college when I'd steal some ketchup packets and saltines from the local fast food joint (the BBF at OU) and make "tomato" soup out of it.

I was hungry.

westofyou
10-11-2006, 11:02 AM
There was a time in college when I'd steal some ketchup packets and saltines from the local fast food joint (the BBF at OU) and make "tomato" soup out of it.

I was hungry.

yeah, the "only thing" I do to my food these days is make sure it's good.

But when I was poor and in college (no dorm, no money from home) I ate plenty of potatos... plenty and I did a ton of weird things to them... baked with Blu Cheese Dressing all over it.... just one of the ways.

To this day I have a hard time looking at baked potatos because of the ten thousand I ate in the 80's.

westofyou
10-11-2006, 11:10 AM

As someone who eats tomatoes all the time I have to say... Bullocks!!!

Rich and red, tomatoes may help cut your cancer risk (http://robots.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/10/06/lycopene.cook.light/index.html)

BuckWoody
10-11-2006, 11:46 AM
I like to put a dollop of peanut butter on a plate with a warm piece of apple pie and eat them together. It's that time of year again too.

I'm not sure if that's weird or not but is sure is yummy. :)

RFS62
10-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Peanut butter is good on celery.

Sorry WOY.

Ltlabner
10-11-2006, 11:51 AM
I like maccaroni and cheese with catsup. Not really weird, I suppose but it's good.

Johnny Footstool
10-11-2006, 12:06 PM
As someone who eats tomatoes all the time I have to say... Bullocks!!!

Rich and red, tomatoes may help cut your cancer risk (http://robots.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/10/06/lycopene.cook.light/index.html)

Propaganda.

The Tomato lobby is second only to the NRA in terms of lobbyist dollars spent.

You can read all about it in my manifesto, Better Dead than Red: The Tomato Conspiracy, which I'm currently shopping to publishers.

guttle11
10-11-2006, 12:09 PM
Peanut and Dorito sandwiches.

Love them.

westofyou
10-11-2006, 12:16 PM
I like pickled things, eggs, okra, green beans, onions, watermelon, jalepenos, any pepper actually. A house without pickles is a house without love.

OldRightHander
10-11-2006, 12:17 PM
I like pickled things, eggs, okra, green beans, onions, watermelon, jalepenos, any pepper actually. A house without pickles is a house without love.

I'm partial to pickled cucumbers. Ever heard of those?

westofyou
10-11-2006, 12:18 PM
I'm partial to pickled cucumbers. Ever heard of those?

Claussen... always in the fridge 24/7

OldRightHander
10-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Claussen... always in the fridge 24/7

My favorite ones. I like the dills and my wife likes the bread and butter. I'm going to try my hand at making some this weekend.

westofyou
10-11-2006, 12:51 PM
My favorite ones. I like the dills and my wife likes the bread and butter. I'm going to try my hand at making some this weekend.

My wife's family is from the south, she as well likes the Bread and Butter ones, those are the only ones I disdain. Pedro made some pickles last month, good stuff.

Puffy
10-11-2006, 12:58 PM
I hope Red Leader doesn't see this thread. I don't think most of you could handle the wierd things he does to calzones.

Dom Heffner
10-11-2006, 01:02 PM
I hope Red Leader doesn't see this thread. I don't think most of you could handle the wierd things he does to calzones.

Does he at least let them cool down before doing said weird things?

I have no idea what that means.

I'm truly surprised Red in Chicago hasn't posted a methodical NASA-type ritual that cleanses his food of germs.

max venable
10-11-2006, 01:15 PM

Ever had cinnamon pickles? They're fairly common up here in Amish country.

westofyou
10-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Ever had cinnamon pickles? They're fairly common up here in Amish country.

Never had em... now I'll look for them.

Coffeybro
10-11-2006, 01:20 PM
I'll add in one of my wifes I find odd. She spreads peanut butter on top of a banana before each bite.

Red Leader
10-11-2006, 01:22 PM

Hey! What I do with my calzones is none of your business.

BUTLER REDSFAN
10-11-2006, 01:29 PM
I Also Love A Good Bowl Of Plain Macaroni With Tomato Juice

vaticanplum
10-11-2006, 01:49 PM
Anyone who is mentioning peanut butter on anything = not weird. Peanut butter makes everything better. In college we all used to mix gobs of it up with ice cream. Because, you know, that's healthy.

Ltlabner
10-11-2006, 02:23 PM
I also like honey on my ice cream. My dentist loves me....showed me pictures of his new motoercycle just the other day.

Puffy
10-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Anyone who is mentioning peanut butter on anything = not weird. Peanut butter makes everything better. In college we all used to mix gobs of it up with ice cream. Because, you know, that's healthy.

Chip agrees with you - two years ago at the Redszone gathering he told me how he likes to spread it all over his body and let his cats lick it off. At the time I thought it was wierd and inappropriate for him to tell that to me, but at least now it gives me something to add to the conversation!

Highlifeman21
10-11-2006, 02:37 PM
I just drenched Heinz 57 sauce all over last night's pizza. Surprisingly good. I'll put Heinz 57 on anything.

HotCorner
10-11-2006, 03:06 PM
PB on a toasted bagel. Nothing exotic.

HumnHilghtFreel
10-11-2006, 05:03 PM

I do that too! lol

Red in Chicago
10-11-2006, 09:15 PM
I'm truly surprised Red in Chicago hasn't posted a methodical NASA-type ritual that cleanses his food of germs.

Does the fact that I have my own personal irradiation room make me unusual? :devil:

Other than purposely over-cooking things, a few goofy ones of mine are:

-If it's not an Italian meal, I like dipping garlic bread in ketchup
-Sunday breakfast includes 2 soy sausages, with cashews on the side
-Tomato sandwiches (ciabatta bread and roma tomatoes, nothing else)

Sorry to disappoint, Dom and RFS;)

RFS62
10-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Sorry to disappoint, Dom and RFS;)

Think nothing of it, RIC. You are the gift that keeps on giving.

Anyone who is cool enough to bare his soul to this bunch of heathens is OK by me.

:beerme:

Falls City Beer
10-11-2006, 09:29 PM
kim chee on rye

Dom Heffner
10-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Anyone who is cool enough to bare his soul to this bunch of heathens is OK by me.

Red in Chicago is the bomb. No disappointment here, other than I was hoping for some microwave suit you wear while eating, or maybe a protective digestable film you place over all your food- like Saran Wrap, only edible. :)

Falls City Beer
10-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Red in Chicago is the bomb. No disappointment here, other than I was hoping for some microwave suit you wear while eating, or maybe a protective digestable film you place over all your food- like Saran Wrap, only edible. :)

Don't the folks at NASA poop in their suits?

elfmanvt07
10-11-2006, 09:43 PM
I will eat a tomato like an apple. Seeds drippin all over your face. Nothin better. I also I eat the entire apple, core and all (except the stem). I don't do much else weird, I guess. I love almost everything I've ever eaten, but some of these home-made twinkie wiener sandwiches sound kind of gross.

Dom Heffner
10-11-2006, 09:44 PM

And then they put it in some machine that turns it into edible space food...those little frozen ice cream dots are part of an experiment that involved rabbits, I read somewhere.

RFS62
10-11-2006, 09:47 PM

And then they put it in some machine that turns it into edible space food...those little frozen ice cream dots are part of an experiment that involved rabbits, I read somewhere.

Yeesh. You guys are making stuff up now to try to freak our boy out.

:help:

Dom Heffner
10-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Yeesh. You guys are making stuff up now to try to freak our boy out.

I'm just saying those astronauts recycle.

I'm guessing FCB is totally serious, though.

vaticanplum
10-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Oddly, this thread is making me kind of hungry.

Dom Heffner
10-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Oddly, this thread is making me kind of hungry.

Hopefully that feeling came over you well before FCB's astute observation. ;)

remdog
10-11-2006, 11:11 PM
Flat fillets of anchovies, crusty French or Italian Bread, a good white cheese (parmesan, romano, havarti), a nice pinot grigio, capers, calamata olives some good olive oil.

I could survive a week or two on a desert island with that combo. :)

Rem

SunDeck
10-12-2006, 06:20 AM
When I was a kid my mom used to pack my lunches with peanut butter and chipped beef sandwiches. I haven't eaten that in years, but I liked it back then.

And I still like peanut butter and bacon sandwiches.

One thing I always do at a local restaurant is to order their breakfast special - eggs and chopped, fried potatos. I order the eggs over easy, then put them on the potatos and mix it all up. It's not weird, but my friends always take note of the process.

GAC
10-12-2006, 07:42 AM
kim chee on rye

I wondered what happened to her! Didn't she use to do the evening news? :eek:

GAC
10-12-2006, 07:45 AM
I'm just saying those astronauts recycle.

I'm guessing FCB is totally serious, though.

I'm glad they poop in their suits.

How would you like to be looking up some day and get hit in the face with space "debris".

Gives new meaning to the word "**** faced" :lol:

dman
10-12-2006, 07:51 AM
Soaking up A-1 steak sauce onto a brown and serve roll

TeamMorris
10-12-2006, 09:23 AM
am i the only one that does this--whenever i eat a big sandwich like a big boy,whopper etc i smash the sandwich between my 2 hands to make it as flat as possible

A guy I went to college with use to do this with Big Mac's! It had to be just right before he would eat it. Always an interesting time at McDonalds;)

TeamMorris
10-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Crunchy peanut butter and mayo sandwich! My friends thought I was crazy until I made them try it. A few were hooked!

My son likes to dip his fries in apple sauce.

Roy Tucker
10-12-2006, 10:05 AM
My daughter dips her french fries in a Wendy's milkshake. It's not bad.

My in-laws crumble up saltine crackers in a bowl, pour some hot water on them, and eat it with a spoon. I think it's a Depression-era thing.

They also have a mini-meal at 9-10 at night. They call it night lunch.

My dad used to salt his watermelon.

My wife will eat a doughnut after breakfast. She calls it her breakfast dessert.

About the weirdest things I eat is a peanut butter and banana sandwich.

GAC
10-12-2006, 10:15 AM
My in-laws crumble up saltine crackers in a bowl, pour some hot water on them, and eat it with a spoon. I think it's a Depression-era thing.

Ever had gravy bread? And my Mom still makes her own mush (depression era thing too). And I love mush!

So do I.

About the weirdest things I eat is a peanut butter and banana sandwich.

You don't fry them Elvis? ;)

Johnny Footstool
10-12-2006, 10:20 AM
Why not just eat the crackers and drink a glass of water?

HotCorner
10-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Mustard on fries. Yum!

westofyou
10-12-2006, 10:46 AM

Mustard on fries. Yum!

30 years and counting

dabvu2498
10-12-2006, 10:50 AM

It's the best.

Also, I put honey or fruit preserves or maple syrup in my grits. Mmmmmm... grits...

vaticanplum
10-12-2006, 11:41 AM
This isn't a weird food thing in and of itself, but a sequence thing: my family has salad after the main course instead of before. This is an Italian thing, I think. It's probably better for digestion.

I babysat three little kids in France, and I told them about peanut butter once. they were fascinated. Kids there eat Nutella on baguettes, but not peanut butter. So I bought some for them to try, I had to go to the American grocery store to get it. It freaked them out, two out of three of them hated it (and I think the third one was just trying to be nice.) I myself cannot imagine childhood without peanut butter.

They LOVED American bread though. They were not allowed to have it very often. Even the shape of it killed them.

Red Leader
10-12-2006, 11:44 AM
This isn't a weird food thing in and of itself, but a sequence thing: my family has salad after the main course instead of before. This is an Italian thing, I think. It's probably better for digestion.

Our family does that as well. I had salad before a meal once and it killed me. Could barely eat the main course. For some reason it works so much better the other way around.

Also when you go out to eat at a restraunt the waiter will look at you weird when he brings your salad out early and you don't eat it. You get another weird look when he goes to take the salad away before bringing your main course. I've since learned that you should tell them to bring the salad out after the main course to avoid several weird looks throughout the meal.

SunDeck
10-12-2006, 11:45 AM
A french fry, rolled in a slice of provolone, dipped in tartar sauce.

That's what we ate on the hoagy line when I worked at La Rosa's.

vaticanplum
10-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Our family does that as well. I had salad before a meal once and it killed me. Could barely eat the main course. For some reason it works so much better the other way around.

My semi-educated guess is that the roughage is hard on your stomach, so it's better not to eat it on an empty one. After the main course, you've got something in your stomach, but you still get your salad vitamins.

Coffeybro
10-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Mustard on fries. Yum!

Not that weird, I've used Mayo, thousand island, honey mustard, and even slaw on fries before.

westofyou
10-12-2006, 11:50 AM

It's very european, it's a palate cleanser.

Red Leader
10-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Putting the fries on your burger along with tomato, pickles, ketchup, mustard, and mayo. :thumbup:

Puffy
10-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Not that weird, I've used Mayo, thousand island, honey mustard, and even slaw on fries before.

bleu cheese

Red Leader
10-12-2006, 11:54 AM
bleu cheese

Buffalo wing sauce.

When I get wings and fries, I always get the wings and order a side of wing sauce to dip the fries in.

Johnny Footstool
10-12-2006, 05:45 PM
An old meat-and-potatoes guy once told me, "Salad is what food eats."

Dom Heffner
10-12-2006, 06:03 PM
How would you like to be looking up some day and get hit in the face with space "debris".

Yeah- I guess keeping it all self contained is the way to go on that one. Bad for mankind, bad for people in the spaceship...

If I were on that panel, I'd vote "yes" to poop in the suit.

OnBaseMachine
10-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Mustard on fries. Yum!

I do that. And sometimes I dip pizza in ranch dressing.

Jessisa Alba and whip cream sounds tasty.

OldRightHander
10-12-2006, 07:16 PM

What's so odd about that? I've been putting salt on melons for years.

Matt700wlw
10-12-2006, 07:19 PM
I eat my food

:D

OldRightHander
10-12-2006, 07:25 PM
I am a one at a time person, and that drives everyone else in my family crazy. If I have three items on my plate, I will eat one in its entirety before moving on to the next. I usually start with the meat, then the vegetables, and if there's bread it is the last to be consumed. I've always thought it strange when I see people eat a couple bites of one thing then a couple of something else before the first thing is finished.