PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade Ryan Freel?

SultanOfSwing
10-11-2006, 04:00 PM
I have seen a lot of speculation on other forums, news sites, and magazines that many teams covet Ryan Freel. What would you want for him? He does seem to be an extremely valuable trading chip that wouldn't tear apart our offense.

I have seen the some suggestions, such as:

Horacio Ramirez
(SP, Atlanta Braves, 26 yrs old, $2.2 mil, career 4.13 ERA/1.4 WHIP)
for Ryan Freel

Javier Vazquez (SP, Chicago White Sox, 30 yrs old, $12 mil, career 4.34 ERA/1.27 WHIP)
for Ryan Freel

On the Vazquez deal the Reds would likely take on most of the salary. The White Sox might pay $4 mil.

Thoughts?

flyer85
10-11-2006, 04:09 PM
nah, just Farney.

Joseph
10-11-2006, 04:09 PM
I love Ryan Freels intensity, but if we can get a major league caliber pitcher in return for him, yes I trade him in a heartbeat.

RedsManRick
10-11-2006, 04:18 PM
I'd do Freel for Vazquez in a heartbeat. Ramirez just doesn't miss enough bats for my taste (I think he'd get beat around here). Vazquez misses bats and was BABIP unlucky this year. The Cell plays similarly to GABP, so I wouldn't be extra worried about homers.

lollipopcurve
10-11-2006, 04:20 PM
yep -- for good pitching, absolutely

redsfan30
10-11-2006, 04:21 PM
There is not a person in this organization I wouldn't trade if the right deal came along.

pedro
10-11-2006, 04:23 PM
I'd do Freel for Vazquez in a heartbeat. Ramirez just doesn't miss enough bats for my taste (I think he'd get beat around here). Vazquez misses bats and was BABIP unlucky this year. The Cell plays similarly to GABP, so I wouldn't be extra worried about homers.

that's how I feel too.

Tom Servo
10-11-2006, 04:34 PM
There is not a person in this organization I wouldn't trade if the right deal came along.
Exactly, nobody is and should be untouchable.

I'm very in favor of trading Freel if the deal is right. I like what Freel brings to the team but for all the diving plays and hits there seems to be a successful pickoff throw against him, error in the outfield, and 0-4 night. He's definatly a good guy to have around, but he's not a necessity and if we can get something good for him it's a deal we have to make.

dunner13
10-11-2006, 04:37 PM
I would trade him but I doubt either teams value him enough to give up a solid starter for him. Could be wrong but I would think he would have to be in a package to really get any value in return.

Falls City Beer
10-11-2006, 04:38 PM
The time is right to trade Freel, but my bet is Wayne doesn't get value for him; plus, his offense WILL need to be made up from some other source.

reds1869
10-11-2006, 05:04 PM
As with any trade, I'd trade him for the right player. I love Freel, but if he netted a legitimate 4 or 5 hole starter, I'd pull the trigger.

Patrick Bateman
10-11-2006, 07:13 PM
I have seen a lot of speculation on other forums, news sites, and magazines that many teams covet Ryan Freel. What would you want for him? He does seem to be an extremely valuable trading chip that wouldn't tear apart our offense.

Horacio Ramirez
for Ryan Freel

Javier Vazquez (SP, Chicago White Sox, 30 yrs old, $12 mil, career 4.34 ERA/1.27 WHIP)
for Ryan Freel

On the Vazquez deal the Reds would likely take on most of the salary. The White Sox might pay $4 mil.

Thoughts?

Definitely Vazquez, but not Ramirez.

Vazquez is due for some good luck like Rick said, so he would be a terrific target, and could be available since the Sox will make room for McCarthy and Vazquez had a poor ERA this season.

ChatterRed
10-11-2006, 07:37 PM

I quadruple that emotion.

Strikes Out Looking
10-11-2006, 08:01 PM
As with any trade, I'd trade him for the right player. I love Freel, but if he netted a legitimate 4 or 5 hole starter, I'd pull the trigger.

But please be aware of Dave Williams and his ilk lurking out there.

mth123
10-11-2006, 08:40 PM
I love Ryan Freels intensity, but if we can get a major league caliber pitcher in return for him, yes I trade him in a heartbeat.

Me too. This is the Reds best trading chip that the team could afford to part with. Deno takes his role in the OF and with the team intent on leaving Phillips at 2B and pursuing a SS there is not a lot of place to play. He would surely spot for Deno and Griffey some and is a good insurance policy, but that is kind of a luxury on a team with so many needs.

WVRedsFan
10-11-2006, 09:22 PM

That's two of us.

mound_patrol
10-11-2006, 10:03 PM
How about Freel to the A's for Duchscherer. The A's could use a good lead off man...because Kendall isn't getting any earlier

Falls City Beer
10-11-2006, 10:18 PM
How about Freel to the A's for Duchscherer. The A's could use a good lead off man...because Kendall isn't getting any earlier

It's a great idea, but Duch doesn't sound like a Krivsky target, and Beane would want (and get) more for him.

Tom Servo
10-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Duchscherer is the guy I've been hoping we can get as the answer to the closer situation. He excelled as Street's setup man and performed just as well as closer when Street was injured.

mound_patrol
10-11-2006, 11:00 PM
a few other guys I'd try to flip Freel for who could help us out right away in the bullpen would be Rafeal Soriano of Seattle (freel would be very valuable here if they do trade ichiro). Andrew Sisco of KC and Rauch of Washington.
I dont know if any of these three would be reasonable to ask for with freel, but they intrigue me as guys to persue.

Topcat
10-12-2006, 04:37 AM

Horacio Ramirez
for Ryan Freel

for Ryan Freel

Thoughts?

Ryan Freel spews pure heart and guts for this team. That being said I would take either of the options you suggested:thumbup:

Krusty
10-12-2006, 10:18 AM
There should be no sacred cows on this team. Krivisky has shown he'll pull the trigger to the right deal.

Natty Redlocks
10-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Krivisky has shown he'll pull the trigger to the right deal.

Or the right deal's second cousin's neighbor.

2001MUgrad
10-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Sure.

But I don't think you are going to get a decent player in return. I really like what Freel brings as I'm sure other managers do. But, I'm sure not sure anyone would give up much to get him.