PDA

View Full Version : Reds 2007 through my eyes

jamess697
10-11-2006, 07:25 PM
First off, everyone likes to speculate what will happen next year, nobody really knows. So here is what I would like to see happen next year to our roster.

Then trade Griffey to a team that can afford his contract. Someone like the Chicago Cubs. I think that Griffey would accept a trade there and we may get a guy like Juan Pierre in return.

Then trade Adam Dunn to Houston for Brad Lidge and Luke Scott.

Then sign Ted Lilly to a 2 year contract, and resign Harang, Ross, EE, Lohse, Holladsworth, and Weathers to arbitration deals.

Trade Jason LaRue and Eric Milton to Milwaukee for Toma Ohka and Bill Hall.

That makes us look like this

CF Juan Pierre
SS Brandon Phillips
1B Scott Hatteberg
3B Edwin Encarnacion
2B Bill Hall
C David Ross
LF Luke Scott
RF Ryan Freel
P Aaron Harang

Bench
Chris Denorfia
Norris Hopper
Javier Valentin
Ray Olmedo
Juan Castro
Todd Hollandsworth

Starters
Aaron Harang
Bronson Arroyo
Tedd Lilly
Kyle Lohse
Homer Bailey

Bullpen
Bill Bray
Gary Majewski
Rheal Cormier
Todd Coffey
Scott Shoeneweis
Matt Beliese
Brad Lidge

Patrick Bateman
10-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Pierre is a FA.

The Brewers wont trade Bill Hall for garbage.

And I'm not very high on Luke Scott. He's been a journey man his whole life, so I think the chances are he will regress to being a platoon player.

No offense, but I don't think these ideas are very reasonable.

Highlifeman21
10-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Griffey is 10/5 and why would he want to go to Chicago where he has zero chance of being on a winning team?

Why would we trade Dunn back to his hometown, and our division rival, for a headcase closer who hasn't recovered from getting taken DEEP by Pujols in last years playoffs? And why would we take such a downgrade from Dunn to Luke Scott? Adam Dunn is not a salary dump, so why treat him as one?

I've asked this before, I'll ask this again. Why all the fascination/obsession with Ted Lilly? He's a slight upgrade from Eric Milton, only b/c he strikes more people out than Milton. Everything else is pretty much on par with Milton's numbers.

I agree we should get rid of LaRue, and I'd entertain offers to get rid of Milton, but no one in their right mind will want Milton, especially not the Brewers. I like Ohka, and getting Bill Hall would mean he could no longer be the Reds Killer that he's been historically, but again why trade within the division?

CF Juan Pierre
SS Brandon Phillips
1B Scott Hatteberg
3B Edwin Encarnacion
2B Bill Hall
C David Ross
LF Luke Scott
RF Ryan Freel

That right there is a very horrible lineup. Speed and proven out-making machines at the 1 and 2, an old head coming off a career year who should be in decline in the 3 spot, an overrated Reds Killer in the 5 spot, and then offensive black holes in the 7 and 8 spots. Sure, we'd upgrade our speed, and hopefully our defense, but that lineup would probably score at least 100 less runs than the 2006 version of the Reds, while the pitching additions wouldn't help in allowing much less runs.

That team would be lucky to win 75 games.

Topcat
10-12-2006, 04:59 AM
Pierre is a FA.

The Brewers wont trade Bill Hall for garbage.

And I'm not very high on Luke Scott. He's been a journey man his whole life, so I think the chances are he will regress to being a platoon player.

No offense, but I don't think these ideas are very reasonable.

If Luke Scott is a Journey man sign my :mooner: for getting him. The term late bloomer who has finally "gotten" it is how I define him. I would trade Ryan Freel even up for that 28 year old kid in a Newyork second!

SultanOfSwing
10-12-2006, 10:53 AM
First of all:

Juan Pierre and Toma Ohka are free agents.

Second:

What is the fascination with Pierre and Lidge. Do people not get that Pierre is not that good? He is almost awful! He is terribly miscast as a lead-off hitter. He gets caught stealing way too much. He strikes out too much. His arm is terrible. His defense is not all that great. I mean, honestly, aside from the Cubs and a couple GMs who just love him for some reason, I don't think anybody else wants this guy (especially for $6 mil).
Lidge is not worth much in a trade at all. He is more of a throw-in reclamation project right now. 5.28 ERA! Who wants that kind of closer? Sure, he can turn it around, but who wants to bank on it?

Third:
Why (if Pierre was not a FA) would we trade Griffey to the Cubs? Peirre makes $6 mil. That is not much salary help. Why would Griffey accept a trade there? He wants to win, now!

Fourth:
Houston would snap up that trade in a heartbeat. Lidge is a reclamation project right now (and makes $4 mil). His trade value is very low. And Scott is unproven and older (28 with only 294 ABs in 99 games). We could get a lot more for Adam Dunn.

Fifth:
Why on earth would Milwaukee want Milton and LaRue? The only chance we have is O'Brien. Why would Milwaukee trade a better, cheaper, younger pitcher (Ohka $4.5 mil) and a talented, young, very cheap up-and-coming 2nd baseman (Hall $418k) for LaRue ($5 mil) and Milton ($9 mil)?

Fifth:
IMO, that doesn't improve our team, it makes it much worse.

I don't really mean to bash jamess697, I just would appreciate if more research was done. Oh well, I guess it doesn't really matter. It just seemed too ridiculous. It seems so many feel free to criticize Krivsky for his movements and yet these are the suggestions they have. :dunno:

TeamSelig
10-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Very bad & unrealistic deals. Sorry.

westofyou
10-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Reds 2007 through my eyes

http://www.blogtext.org/albums/dwrickel/thumbnails/mr_magoo_150x0.jpg

dunner13
10-12-2006, 02:03 PM
I wouldnt do any deal for dunn with the astros without hirsh. I have no intrest in luke scott. I think lidge would be a nice pickup since his value is low. He has proven in the past that he can dominate, a change of scenery might do well for him.

ChatterRed
10-12-2006, 02:32 PM
I don't see any of that happening.

I can't narrow down who other teams would be willing to trade for our guys.........but I think some of you are overvaluing Dunn, Griffey, Milton, and LaRue.

Griffey would have to be traded to the AL to become a DH for someone. He has the ability to hit better than last year (see his '05 season) and still has power. Not playing in the field should allow him to stay healthy, and that team can also give him days off. He could probably play in 130-140 games and produce still. And his contract is reasonable if he hits .280 - 30 HR's - 100 rbi plus.

I feel the same about Dunn. If he just concentrated on hitting for some AL team and became a DH.........I think it would fit him best. Therefore, I think Griffey and Dunn will be traded to the AL if SOMETHING DOES HAPPEN.

LaRue will be traded to some team in need of a bonafide catcher, that will consider Jason's last season as a fluke and believe he can regain his previous form. There is definitely a shortage of good catchers in MLB. That is the only hope of unloading him.

Milton. Hmmm. Not bad, not good. He actually pitched pretty decently after the first couple of months. This will probably be a "change of scenery" trade like the Lohse deal. We'll get somebody's SP that needs a change of scenery in return for Milton. His contract amount is the biggest stepping stone. Milton would fit in well in one of the huge parks - which works well for a flyball pitcher.

If we can unload/trade all 4 of these guys and trim $30-$35 million off the payroll that can be used in a more efficient-production way.......that would be fine by me. This team needs overhauled.

Pitching. Pitching. Pitching.

terminator
10-12-2006, 06:01 PM
What is the fascination with Pierre and Lidge. Do people not get that Pierre is not that good? He is almost awful! He is terribly miscast as a lead-off hitter. He gets caught stealing way too much. He strikes out too much. His arm is terrible. His defense is not all that great.

I agree with everything else you said, except re: Pierre . . .

In 2006, Pierre struck out 38 times in 699 ABs. Not very often.

He was 58 for 78 in SB's which is a 74% success rate. Rickey Henderson (greatest of all time?!) has an 81% rate. Lou Brock 75%. Kenny Lofton 80%. Anyway, it isn't top in the N.L. for 2006, but it's above average.

As for his defense, in 162 games played he had 0 errors. (It would be nice to watch an outfielder who doesn't drop balls.) And obviously his speed does gives him good range. I have heard (and seen) that his arm is below average.

I like him. I wouldn't pay $6MM for him, but if money were no object I'd say he's a good player and I'd take him.

paulrichjr
10-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Very bad & unrealistic deals. Sorry.

Maybe we could trade Bill Bray and Majewski for Kearns and Lopez. Wait that is unrealistic isn't it? :D

Krusty
10-12-2006, 08:54 PM
How about Griffey and paying the remaining defered portion of his contract to the Tigers for RHP Fernando Rodney and a prospect?

The Reds get a possible closer in Rodney while still freeing up 6 million to play in free agency.

Matt700wlw
10-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Dan O may salivate over Milton....:)

jnwohio
10-13-2006, 12:47 AM

LaRue will be traded to some team in need of a bonafide catcher, that will consider Jason's last season as a fluke and believe he can regain his previous form. There is definitely a shortage of good catchers in MLB. That is the only hope of unloading him................

I think the only way LaRue will be going anywhere is if Mr. Castellini agrees to write somebody a check for 50% or more of LaRue's 2007 salary. But I think it is something that needs to be done for team chemistry at this point. Plus $2.5 million or so saved is still a nice chunk of change.