PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday playoff thread

vaticanplum
10-11-2006, 08:20 PM
The Cardinals-Mets game has been postponed due to rain, which in the end I think is a blessing for everybody there. The game will be tomorrow at 8 pm and the starting pitchers are still listed as Weaver and Glavine for now.

Tigers still set to face Oakland at 8 pm Eastern.

OnBaseMachine
10-11-2006, 09:17 PM
Cards get lucky again as this means Carpenter can now pitch game two instead of game three.

Cedric
10-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Cards get lucky again as this means Carpenter can now pitch game two instead of game three.

Larussa said that he won't switch to Carpenter. Don't ask me why.

M2
10-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Lou Piniella makes a cogent point - Usually it's not single runs that beat you, it's when the other team starts putting crooked numbers on the board, that's what beats you.

Falls City Beer
10-11-2006, 09:48 PM
I'd like to garrote Steve Lyons.

pedro
10-11-2006, 09:49 PM

he's a clown.

M2
10-11-2006, 09:50 PM

I like Lyons. He always comes across as a guy who's enjoying the game. I can get behind that.

Falls City Beer
10-11-2006, 09:53 PM
I like Lyons. He always comes across as a guy who's enjoying the game. I can get behind that.

That's fine. But he strikes me as that guy at a party who can't shut up. And who stands in front of the fridge full of beer.

M2
10-11-2006, 09:58 PM
That's fine. But he strikes me as that guy at a party who can't shut up. And who stands in front of the fridge full of beer.

He is being paid to talk.

Meanwhile Justin Verlander is awesome to behold. You never know how well a kid's body will hold up, but he's got the potential to be as good a pitcher as any of us have ever seen. Paired with Andrew Miller and the Tigers could be sitting on the next great pitching staff.

vaticanplum
10-11-2006, 10:02 PM
These Lasorda commercials absolutely kill me. I love them.

My friend and I have decided the other night that if A-Rod starred in one of them, all his haters would forgive him.

Ltlabner

So it's bad for an announcer to not be interested in the games, but it's also bad to be too interested in a game?

Oh yea, and don't stand infront of the fridge full of beer.

Falls City Beer
He is being paid to talk.

So are a lot of announcers. But some know when to pipe down.

Eh. It's no big deal. It beats listening to McCarver.

Falls City Beer
10-11-2006, 10:04 PM
So it's bad for an announcer to not be interested in the games, but it's also bad to be too interested in a game?

Oh yea, and don't stand infront of the fridge full of beer.

Enthusiasm's one thing, being squeaky as Eddie Haskell is another.

Thom's got his old man's pipes. Which is a good thing. I like him a lot.

Falls City Beer
10-11-2006, 10:08 PM
This series is certainly shaping up to be a good one; lots of wild momentum fluctuations. Hopefully as many as the 2001 Series.

Matt700wlw
10-11-2006, 11:07 PM
The Tigers are laying the smack down on Oakland...it is 7-3 in the 6th inning

vaticanplum
10-11-2006, 11:15 PM
Chavez homers. 7-4 Tigers.

Oakland had better get a rally going. Postseason sweeps are unacceptable, unless they are by the Reds or the Yankees.

Heath
10-11-2006, 11:18 PM

Oakland had better get a rally going. Postseason sweeps are unacceptable, unless they are by the Reds or the Yankees.

Remember VP, the team your team loses to should be cheered in my opinion. This way you can say you got beat by the percieved best.

vaticanplum
10-11-2006, 11:30 PM
Remember VP, the team your team loses to should be cheered in my opinion. This way you can say you got beat by the percieved best.

That's what my uncle taught me. That is for better people; it's a little too forgiving for me :)

But I don't really have a vested interest in either of these teams -- I prefer Oakland, but not by much. I'd be happy to see the tigers win. I just don't want another freaking sweep. I want as many October baseball games as possible. Sweeps are boring.

Reds Fanatic
10-11-2006, 11:42 PM
Bradley's 2nd HR of the night makes it 7-5.

vaticanplum
10-11-2006, 11:42 PM
Holy Milton Bradley! Second homer, he also drove in a run in the first on a single.

7-5. This is a good game after all.

guttle11
10-11-2006, 11:44 PM
You guys sure we want Thom?

He just said that his favorite wrestler is George "The Animal" Smith, and mentioned his son is a LB for Ohio State.

Double Whammy!:laugh:

harangatang
10-12-2006, 12:00 AM
It's pretty bad when Fernando Rodney's changeup is the same speed as the most of the Red's pitchers fastballs. (85 MPH)

RedFanAlways1966
10-12-2006, 12:29 AM
8-5 Tigers... final. A's make it interesting in the 9th, but leave 'em loaded as Todd Jones wiggles out of the jam.

2 games to none Tigers as they head home.

OldRightHander
10-12-2006, 01:03 AM

Or when they involve the Reds sweeping the Yankees. Fond memories of '76.

redsmetz
10-12-2006, 09:48 AM
8-5 Tigers... final. A's make it interesting in the 9th, but leave 'em loaded as Todd Jones wiggles out of the jam.

2 games to none Tigers as they head home.

I'll tell you, I like both these teams, but the Tigers just seem to have some magic, don't they? And how many folks keep saying, "I'm so glad we don't have D'Angleo Jimenez anymore"? Not playing the best baseball.

vaticanplum
10-12-2006, 12:16 PM
I'll tell you, I like both these teams, but the Tigers just seem to have some magic, don't they? And how many folks keep saying, "I'm so glad we don't have D'Angleo Jimenez anymore"? Not playing the best baseball.

Well, in all fairness, the Tigers did put Neifi Perez on the field last night. I'd take D'Angelo over Neifi six days of the week and twice on Sunday, and not just because he has a slight edge in the cool name department.

But I agree with you that the Tigers have a fair dose of magic and momentum at the moment. They're also just a dang good team, and I'm understanding now watching them just how good. This team or that team can match them in starting pitching or bullpen or offense or defense, but overall the Tigers are just very well-rounded; there's not a glaring weak spot on the team (well, except Neifi). For all the talk of Leyland blah blah blah -- and there's no question that he's a good manager -- this is just a very sound team at the core of it. They buckled down after those losing seasons and constructed a solid, able group of people.

Chip R
10-12-2006, 12:23 PM
Well, in all fairness, the Tigers did put Neifi Perez on the field last night. I'd take D'Angelo over Neifi six days of the week and twice on Sunday, and not just because he has a slight edge in the cool name department.

I just happened to have been watching it on break when Neifi came up. I mentioned his name and I said he's not that good. They asked why is he playing then and I said, "He's in there for his glove but he can't hit water if he fell out of a boat." Someone said that wasn't a nice thing to say and almost on cue, he flied out to LF.

NJReds
10-12-2006, 12:31 PM
For all the talk of Leyland blah blah blah -- and there's no question that he's a good manager -- this is just a very sound team at the core of it. They buckled down after those losing seasons and constructed a solid, able group of people.

I remember early in the season when the Tigers blew a game to Cleveland, I think on a getaway day before a West Coast road trip. Leyland was almost in tears when being interviewed after the game. He talked about how he failed, the coaches failed and the team failed. That the losing attitude would no longer be accepted. IIRC, the team went on a tear to close out the month.

A large reason for this team turning the corner this year, IMO, goes to Leyland's expectations on his ballclub. I agree that this team is very good, and that the young pitching blossomed this year, but that moment of the season was a turning point.

Always Red
10-12-2006, 12:34 PM
You guys sure we want Thom?

I don't think we ever had a choice, did we?;)

He and Lyons can get a little bit silly together sometimes; but then again, baseball is supposed to be fun, right?

I liked Thom better with Bob Brenley than with Lyons alone. It'll be interesting to see how he interacts with his colleagues here in town.

By next August, half here on Redszone will love him, and half will want him "DFA'd immediately!" LOL :laugh: :laugh:

Always Red
10-12-2006, 12:40 PM
For all the talk of Leyland blah blah blah -- and there's no question that he's a good manager -- this is just a very sound team at the core of it. They buckled down after those losing seasons and constructed a solid, able group of people.

True, they have a solid lineup, but they have just lights out pitching. Verlander has just incredible stuff, and he didn't even pitch that well last night.

Plus, they have the "Nasty Boys," redux, version 2006, to go along with the best starting pitching in baseball. Rodney, Zumaya, Jones; it'll be tough to get past those three at the end of a playoff game.

TeamSelig
10-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Kinda funny how Jones is the closer, but only the 3rd best reliever on the team behind Zumaya and Rodney

Heath
10-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Kinda funny how Jones is the closer, but only the 3rd best reliever on the team behind Zumaya and Rodney

Ok, Let's say Verlander starts and could go 6. He tosses 100 MPH

Rodney comes in the 7th. He tosses 100 MPH

Zumaya comes in the 8th. He tosses 102 MPH.

Jones comes in the 9th. He throws 90 MPH.

You think that might mess with batters heads?

My 4 yr old loves Pudge (who is skinny) and the Tigers. I openly yelled when Granderson homered in the 9th.

If the Tigers win game 3, I'd expect the A's to rollover, IMO>

M2
10-12-2006, 01:48 PM
If the Tigers win game 3, I'd expect the A's to rollover.

The way things look at the moment, the A's will do well to reach Game 5. If they can force the LCS back to Oakland I'll be mighty surprised (though I'm rooting for it based on the notion that I get to watch more baseball that way).

BRM
10-12-2006, 01:56 PM
I get to watch more baseball that way).

And that's ALWAYS a good thing. :thumbup:

Always Red
10-12-2006, 03:30 PM
And that's ALWAYS a good thing. :thumbup:

Especially 7th games!:D

Heath
10-12-2006, 05:31 PM
The way things look at the moment, the A's will do well to reach Game 5. If they can force the LCS back to Oakland I'll be mighty surprised (though I'm rooting for it based on the notion that I get to watch more baseball that way).

Sure when the A's come back and win the ALCS, it's YOU who will be explaining to my 4 year old why the Tigers aren't playing next year.

:D

Matt700wlw
10-12-2006, 05:50 PM
The Reds could have gotten Leyland.....

Just sayin'

Reds Fanatic
10-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Tigers may be without Zumaya for a while he has developed a sore wrist and is unable to pitch. They are not sure how long he will be out. He missed a week in September with this same problem.