PDA

View Full Version : Things You Won't Be Buying Anytime Soon

Dom Heffner
10-11-2006, 09:50 PM
The Screech Sex tape

Any type of palm pilot or organizer...no matter how you slice it, keeping an old fashioned desk calendar is easy for me. I don't care if it plays music, dances, keeps track of leap year, is voice activated, calls a cab for you...no thanks.

Culture Warrior

In that same vein, I'm not going to be buying any type of parka or vinyl coat that makes noise when I move while wearing it.

Red in Chicago
10-11-2006, 10:13 PM
campaign promises :D

paintmered
10-11-2006, 10:16 PM
An ipod. I never did like them and they aren't compatable with rhapsody.

RedFanAlways1966
10-11-2006, 10:21 PM
* Anything made by K-Tel or Ronco.
* Anything that is "so good" that it is only sold on TV and not available in stores.
* Guns-N-Roses' (aka Axl) next release.
* Esteban's stupid how-to tape and his cheap looking guitar.
* Depends (I hope!) or Geritol.

Dom Heffner
10-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Anything that is "so good" that it is only sold on TV and not available in stores.

That drives me nuts.

I forgot to add: Richard Clayderman's Greatest Hits to my list.

Boxcar Wille, yes. Clayderman, no. I have standards.

Red in Chicago
10-11-2006, 10:28 PM

do you find yourself watching home shopping or qvc (for no apparent reason), then "este" comes on and you want to do your best elvis impersonation by shooting at the tv?:angry:

i can't believe i get roped into that stuff every now and then...it's usually the cooking shows that sucker me in:bang:

thankfully, i haven't reached for the plastic yet to buy anything

Falls City Beer
10-11-2006, 10:33 PM
A lottery ticket?

vaticanplum
10-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Playoff tickets.

Falls City Beer
10-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Playoff tickets.

Smarty pants.

RFS62
10-11-2006, 10:36 PM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/shatner-store_1915_14462110

KronoRed
10-11-2006, 11:13 PM
A dell.

RBA
10-11-2006, 11:39 PM
A big winter coat and thermo underwear. Did I mention I'm going to San Diego?

dman
10-12-2006, 04:59 AM
I just got back from the Quarter Horse Congress in Columbus. After seeing enough of it, I won't be buying the following:

50 Gallon cowboy hats
10 inch belt buckles
Wrangler Jeans

GAC
10-12-2006, 05:06 AM

But they dice and slice, made of hardened titanium steel, and never get dull! :lol:

Has anyone ever noticed that the price of this stuff being advertised on TV always comes to $19.95.

They always tell you it's a $100 value, but you can get it for $19.95.

And if you ACT NOW!.... they'll send you two of them!

We went through on of those "As Seen On TV" stores a couple years ago. Anyone been to one? They are a trip.

I told my wife they were originally called "Perfectly Useless Crap Flooding The American Economy And Made In The Southeast Asian Pennisula"... but the title was too long.

I have always wondered what those poor slave laborers, making five cents/hr say to themselves while they are making this crap. Do you think they hold these contraptions up to each other and ask "What the hell is this?"

I'm sure they're not saying.... "Boy, as soon as I get paid I gotta get me one of these. It will go great in the hut." :lol:

I guess it only makes sense that since they invented spaghetti, that they invent the spill-proof spaghetti strainer.

Oxy Clean. Does anyone else have this stuff work for them? Not us.

MrCinatit
10-12-2006, 07:16 AM
Spandex.
Paris Hilton's Greatest Dance Hits.
Jerry Narron's autobiography.
Punky Brewster on DVD.
A timeshare.
A velvet Elvis painting.

reds1869
10-12-2006, 07:19 AM
DanO's Big Book of Making Friends and Influencing People.

Ltlabner
10-12-2006, 07:25 AM
Any autoborgraphy by someone who hasn't changed the course of human history or had a major impact on world events. Sorry, flavor of the day celebs don't apply.

GAC's book on lawn mower repair.

an interest only loan

a car designed in america: built here good, designed here bad. (that is just my opinion so don't freak out and hijack the thread).

Ltlabner
10-12-2006, 07:31 AM
do you find yourself watching home shopping or qvc (for no apparent reason), then "este" comes on and you want to do your best elvis impersonation by shooting at the tv?:angry:

I love to watch informercials. I'm a sucker for actually watching them, and enjoying them. The stuff they hawk is crap and I'd never purchase something like that, but I love listening to the pitchman and picking apart the reasons why his wack-o-matic 5000 is revolutionary compared to the chop-0-dicer 3500. And I almost always love the cheesy "host" of the program. They are enthralled and hang on the pitchwoman's every word.

The best is when they demonstrate some mundane task that the Furfurgerstein 9000 is desiged to make into a simple and fun process. The task is usually something simple like pouring pasta from a pot to a strainer yet the host can't possibly figure out how to do that, is confused and just has a hard time....that is till the Furfurgerstein 9000 saves the day!

Tommyjohn25
10-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Sadly, a PS3. Unless I want to sell a body part or something. :(

Chip R
10-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Super Bass-o-Matic '76

BuckWoody
10-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Playoff tickets.
We bought playoff tickets...and World Series tickets too. :cry: Now I fell kinda silly. :(

An Odell Thurman jersey.
Anything that my children see in a "TV Offer" while they're watching cartoons.
Sandals.
A Speedo (the banana hammock type).

RBA
10-12-2006, 09:42 AM
TMX ELMO.

Fresh Spinach.

Any music from the 90's.

Any Pay Per View Sporting Event. ($49.99/above, yikes)

flyer85
10-12-2006, 10:00 AM
Boxcar Wille, yes. Clayderman, no. I have standards.What about Slim Whitman?

Dom Heffner
10-12-2006, 10:58 AM
What about Slim Whitman?

Slim's okay. He's no Boxcar Willie, though.

Where on earth do these recordning artists come from? Don't the people who buy these records find it funny that they never hear these guys being played on the radio?

Danny Serafini
10-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Oxy Clean. Does anyone else have this stuff work for them? Not us.

I bought that as a wedding gift for a friend of mine. Seriously, they actually had that on the list so I got them some. They were pretty happy.

Chip R
10-12-2006, 11:07 AM
Slim's okay. He's no Boxcar Willie, though.

Well, who is?

Blimpie
10-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Well, who is?Zamfir, Master of the Pan Flute is....so there!

RFS62
10-12-2006, 11:12 AM
... sold more records than Elvis and the Beatles....

RedsFan75
10-12-2006, 11:24 AM

Had friend bought one of those and he really thought he got a great deal on it too... Until I pointed him to Musicians Friend and showed him recognizable names at lower prices... Still he played it and started bringing it to church to play.... Until it started coming apart and the binding... He has a Washburn now.
:D

We went through on of those "As Seen On TV" stores a couple years ago. Anyone been to one? They are a trip.

You are very correct they are a trip! Didn't they have one at Eastgate mall for a while! I would walk through one at a mall when I travel to PA..

Dom Heffner
10-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Well, who is?

Good point.

There aren't many recording artists who both look as though they need a bath and who have a target audience somewhere between ages 65 and 70.

GAC
10-12-2006, 03:11 PM
... sold more records than Elvis and the Beatles....

combined. ;)

Ktel use to shorten up the songs (slightly speed them up) in order to fit more on an album.

And all that time we thought it was just good Mary Jane. ;)

westofyou
10-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Kopi Luwak Coffee

Kopi Luwak coffee comes from the Indonesian island of Sumatra, an area well-known for its excellent coffee. Also native to the area is a small civit-like animal called a Paradoxurus. That's the scientific name, the locals call them luwaks. These little mammals live in the trees and one of their favorite foods is the red, ripe coffee cherry. They eat the cherries, bean and all. While the bean is in the little guy's stomach, it undergoes chemical treatments and fermentations. The bean finishes its journey through the digestive system, and exits. The still-intact beans are collected from the forest floor, and are cleaned, then roasted and ground just like any other coffee.

The resulting coffee is said to be like no other. It has a rich, heavy flavour with hints of caramel or chocolate.

Other terms used to describe it are earthy, musty and exotic. The body is almost syrupy and it's very smooth.

One must wonder about the circumstances that brought about the first cup of Kopi Luwak coffee. Who would think to (or even want to) collect and roast beans out of animal feces? Perhaps a native figured it was easier to collect the beans from the ground this way, rather than having to work harder and pick them from the trees? We'll likely never know. But because of the strange method of collecting, there isn't much Kopi Luwak produced in the world. The average total annual production is only around 500 pounds of beans.

Because of the rarity of this coffee, the price is quite outrageous. If you can find a vendor, the current cost for a pound of Kopi Luwak is around $300 or more. Some more adventurous coffee houses are selling it by the cup, but you won't likely find it at your local coffee shop just yet. The coffee isn't so spectacular that it's truly worth that amount of money. You are paying for the experience of enjoying such an unusual and rare delicacy.

Hap
10-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Any autoborgraphy by someone who hasn't changed the course of human history or had a major impact on world events. Sorry, flavor of the day celebs don't apply.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0312291345.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I actually read this and it's horrible.

Matt700wlw
10-12-2006, 04:26 PM
Flobie

Oh...and crack

dabvu2498
10-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Flobie

Oh...and crack

I'll add... an AK-47.

Ltlabner
10-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Enzite

GAC
10-12-2006, 05:26 PM
FlobiE

You mean one of these right?

http://www.flowbee.com/images/webproduct%20shot%20copy.jpg

We have had one of these for years, and they are simply work great!

My brother had one, and when we were down there years ago visiting my wife gave the kids haircuts using it. It's amazing.

You have to have a vacuum with strong suction for it to really be effective. Buying one of those under $100 vacs ain't gonna cut it.

We got a Hoover Wind Tunnel. :D

You can either have someone give you a cut or stand in front of the mirror and do it yourself. You use the varying attachments that you use to layer your hair....snap it in, turn it on, and the suction causes your hair to stand up straight in the attactment and cuts it to that length. It then sucks the hair into the vac. No mess.

We've saved alot of money over the years on haircuts.

My wife's Dad comes up from Cincy so he can visit and get a haircut. :lol:

Matt700wlw
10-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Yeah...flowbee....I can't spell :D

Ltlabner
10-12-2006, 05:30 PM
You mean one of these right?

Good lord GAC, don't try to repair that thing if it breaks.

vaticanplum
10-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Kopi Luwak Coffee

Kopi Luwak coffee comes from the Indonesian island of Sumatra, an area well-known for its excellent coffee. Also native to the area is a small civit-like animal called a Paradoxurus. That's the scientific name, the locals call them luwaks. These little mammals live in the trees and one of their favorite foods is the red, ripe coffee cherry. They eat the cherries, bean and all. While the bean is in the little guy's stomach, it undergoes chemical treatments and fermentations. The bean finishes its journey through the digestive system, and exits. The still-intact beans are collected from the forest floor, and are cleaned, then roasted and ground just like any other coffee.

The resulting coffee is said to be like no other. It has a rich, heavy flavour with hints of caramel or chocolate.

Other terms used to describe it are earthy, musty and exotic. The body is almost syrupy and it's very smooth.

One must wonder about the circumstances that brought about the first cup of Kopi Luwak coffee. Who would think to (or even want to) collect and roast beans out of animal feces? Perhaps a native figured it was easier to collect the beans from the ground this way, rather than having to work harder and pick them from the trees? We'll likely never know. But because of the strange method of collecting, there isn't much Kopi Luwak produced in the world. The average total annual production is only around 500 pounds of beans.

Because of the rarity of this coffee, the price is quite outrageous. If you can find a vendor, the current cost for a pound of Kopi Luwak is around $300 or more. Some more adventurous coffee houses are selling it by the cup, but you won't likely find it at your local coffee shop just yet. The coffee isn't so spectacular that it's truly worth that amount of money. You are paying for the experience of enjoying such an unusual and rare delicacy.

Ew.

vaticanplum
10-12-2006, 05:47 PM
We have had one of these for years, and they are simply work great!

My brother had one, and when we were down there years ago visiting my wife gave the kids haircuts using it. It's amazing.

You have to have a vacuum with strong suction for it to really be effective. Buying one of those under $100 vacs ain't gonna cut it.

We got a Hoover Wind Tunnel. :D

You can either have someone give you a cut or stand in front of the mirror and do it yourself. You use the varying attachments that you use to layer your hair....snap it in, turn it on, and the suction causes your hair to stand up straight in the attactment and cuts it to that length. It then sucks the hair into the vac. No mess.

We've saved alot of money over the years on haircuts.

My wife's Dad comes up from Cincy so he can visit and get a haircut. :lol:

Are you serious, this is a vacuum cleaner that cuts your hair?!

What exactly kind of haircut does it give you?

Ltlabner
10-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Kopi Luwak Coffee

Who would think to (or even want to) collect and roast beans out of animal feces? .

Man, this coffiee tastes like crap!

Sorry..too easy, I know.

Dom Heffner
10-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Enzite

You know, I used to go to high school with one of the bigwigs being charged in that scandal. He was one of my roommates on a spring trip our school took.

He was on our high school basketball team, too. One of the other kids on that team got in trouble in that whole West Clermont teacher-student scandal a few years back. Truly weird to see people you know get into that kind of trouble.

GAC
10-13-2006, 07:05 AM
Are you serious, this is a vacuum cleaner that cuts your hair?!

What exactly kind of haircut does it give you?

No, you hook it to your vac. It's really very easy to use/setup. You remove the intake hose from you vac (simpy pull it out) and insert the Flowbee hose. You then plug the Flowbee in, snap on the attachment for what length you want to start cutting, turn on the vac & Flowbee and go to town.

It cuts all kinds of hair and does a really good job. My wife uses it to trim up her permed hair. It's one invention that I have really been impressed with. And it costs $60. Think of all the money a family would save (and we have).

The suction from the vac causes the hair to stand up on end within the attachment, and it cuts it all at the same length. You just simply run it slowly over every area of your head, and it sucks and cuts. And if you want to go shorter then you put on a different attachment.

You really can't give yourself a bad haircut with this thing.

Red in Chicago
10-14-2006, 11:37 AM
i've never used the flowbee before, but always wondered if it would work. i've been cutting my own hair for at least 15 years. i bought one of those oster trimmers that the barber shops use. while i may not be able to blend it as nice as a barber, it's good enough for me. i keep my hair very short anyway, so i really don't care. probably saved thousands of dollars by now. too bad i never put the $15 or $20 in a jar for myself after each cut.

Dom Heffner
10-14-2006, 11:44 AM
The Today Show did a consumer report on the flowbee and they gave it an F.

They said the manufacturer was taking it off the market- at least the model they reviewed.

The haircuts they were showing resembled the end of a broom- all uneven and unruly.

Perhaps GAC should have used it and showed them how it's done. They just wouldn't have let him plug it in or allowed him to be anywhere within 50 feet of flammable items. :)

I shave mine all the way off everyday, so that would- for the record- be something I would not be buying anytime soon. :)

TeamCasey
10-14-2006, 11:55 AM
I love to watch informercials. I'm a sucker for actually watching them, and enjoying them. The stuff they hawk is crap and I'd never purchase something like that, but I love listening to the pitchman and picking apart the reasons why his wack-o-matic 5000 is revolutionary compared to the chop-0-dicer 3500.

Many, many moons ago, I bought the hand hammered wok.

I think it might be down in the basement somewhere.

OldRightHander
10-14-2006, 12:29 PM
Many, many moons ago, I bought the hand hammered wok.

I think it might be down in the basement somewhere.

Isn't a wok someting you throw at a wabbit?

GAC
10-14-2006, 01:12 PM
The Today Show did a consumer report on the flowbee and they gave it an F.

They said the manufacturer was taking it off the market- at least the model they reviewed.

The haircuts they were showing resembled the end of a broom- all uneven and unruly.

Perhaps GAC should have used it and showed them how it's done. They just wouldn't have let him plug it in or allowed him to be anywhere within 50 feet of flammable items. :)

I shave mine all the way off everyday, so that would- for the record- be something I would not be buying anytime soon. :)

Like Matt Lauer and Al Roker need a Flowbee! :lol:

I know of a few families that have them, including mine, and we have had nothing but excellent results from them.

You have to not know what you are doing to give yourself a haircut as uneven as they may have shown. It is very simple and easy to use.

Maybe that was the problem - it was too simple for them. They obviously weren't using it right to be getting haircuts that look like the end of a broom. ;)

RFS62
10-15-2006, 03:01 PM
I know of a few families that have them, including mine, and we have had nothing but excellent results from them.

Another satisfied customer

http://images.ibsys.com/2002/0411/1394385.jpg

fadetoblack2880
10-15-2006, 03:18 PM
A PS3. by the way, if you buy something pretty expensive (Xbox 360) from Toys R Us, DO NOT get the warranty they offer. My 360 crapped out in August and immediately filed a claim and I'm still waiting form them to make everything right...

OldRightHander
10-16-2006, 03:27 PM
A PS3. by the way, if you buy something pretty expensive (Xbox 360) from Toys R Us, DO NOT get the warranty they offer. My 360 crapped out in August and immediately filed a claim and I'm still waiting form them to make everything right...

If I can get one of the first ones that comes out I will. Then I will wait for the Christmas hype to kick in and list it on ebay. Then a few months down the road I can take a portion of what some desperate parent gives me to get one of my own after they have all the bugs ironed out.