PDA

View Full Version : Tornado hits - No place like home, no place like home

smith288
10-13-2006, 10:37 AM
So anyone been in a twister? It appears my house was the first target of many in the NE Columbus F2 tornado.

Pictures (http://www.ejsmithweb.com/tornado)

If you watch this video (http://www.10tv.com/sites/shared/vplayer/dynamicasx.php?clip=2006_10_12_Tornado_Caught_On_C ell_Phone_Camera.wmv&showpromo=adsrv.dispatch.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_lx.ads/www.10tv.com/video/L18/2056473327/Top3/CDispatch/10tv_newanchorteam_sept06_video/10tv_newanchorteam_sept06_video/516a32436b45546d5246734143706257) (Windows Media), its a cell phone video of the twister coming down. That light just past the fountain would be my garage motion flood light.

About that time, im running from the kitchen as i see the wind blowing the opposite direction it normally blows out the back window.

As I flew down the steps, I heard what sounded like a door flying open so I didnt fear too much damage besides wind damage.

My 2 older kids were not scared at all. My new 6 month old was just facinated at the basement she never see's.

Miya, my dog, was scared as hell and I had to physically push her down to the basement and Jackson, my cat, was already in the appropriate place before we ever got there. He may be old, blind and dumb, but he knew something was up.

We wondered how long to wait since we didnt hear anything like a train. After around 5 minutes, we got up and I went to the back door to see any issues and I first saw the tree and said "we got some damage".

http://www.ejsmithweb.com/tornado/images/100_3966_thumb.jpg

My wife went upstairs (we live in a split level) and said "we have alot of damage".

http://www.ejsmithweb.com/tornado/images/100_3990_thumb.jpg

If you have seen the videos of the new builds that have disentigrated, ours was built pretty sturdy. Of course my house is a 1965 stucco and brick $hithouse so it held up quite well.

My poor explorer got nailed...luckily, my basketball hoop saved it from total destruction. That limb actually flew OVER my house from the tree behind my house that has the branch laying on my roof. Thats alot of friggin wind.

http://www.ejsmithweb.com/tornado/images/100_3988_thumb.jpg

All the proof I need to know that the twister touched down on us is this picture of a pretty old arse oak that got snapped like a toothpick

http://www.ejsmithweb.com/tornado/images/100_4010_thumb.jpg

That is right next to my house.

My garage door was blown from the inside out. What happened was my back access door had so much wind the door jam broke causing the garage to blow up like a balloon only to have my garage door give. Im suprised the window in my garage didnt blow out but such is tornado's. You never know why some things go down (trees) but others dont (kids plastic slide never moved).

All in all, im happy to report we are safe, healthy and blessed to be able to continue to live in the house relative to the proximity the tornado was to us. No news stations bothered to look at our house and focused only on the new development across the street. Not that I wanted the pub, but i really seemed like we got ignored in favor the the sexier story across the street.

The only attention I garnered was the Franklin County Auditor for lowering the value of my house for tax purposes and a BUNCH of vulcher "contractors" wanting to remove the tree (fat chance for them).

We called insurance and getting estimates and stuff. Just thought you all would like to know of my story.

Later y'all.

HotCorner
10-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Wow. Glad to hear everyone is okay.

Redsland
10-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Holy crap! Glad you're okay!

GAC
10-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Wow smitty! I was watching this on the news this morning. Was this up in the general area of Westerville?

I'm glad everyone was OK.

Reds Fanatic
10-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Wow glad to hear you are ok. I just saw video of the damage in Columbus on the Weather Channel this morning.

RedsManRick
10-13-2006, 11:44 AM
In the late 80's (I was about 6), we were driving to pick up my dad in Dublin and got caught in a storm with tornadoes involved -- it was mid afternoon and it the sky was neon purple and green. We made it to the house he was at and went straight to the basement. The tornado ended up bouncing a few times and went straight over the house we were in -- sounded like a freight train. Scariest moment of my life.

RFS62
10-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Yikes!!

Glad you're OK

TeamCasey
10-13-2006, 11:45 AM
I guess this happened just after I drove through. I heard it on the news when I got home. I'm glad everyone is O.K.!

The garage door blows me away! (no pun intended).

Unassisted
10-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Great story, smith. Good to hear that your family fared well and everything is on the road to recovery. :thumbup:

I got the storm warning as a text message, so I knew to watch the streaming feed from Channel 4 that night. I have friends and relatives scattered from downtown to Bexley, Pickerington, Reynoldsburg and Westerville. When I saw the area that was hit, my first thought was of the tornado that hit the Central College area, east of Westerville a few years back. This was a few miles east of there, right?

smith288
10-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Great story, smith. Good to hear that your family fared well and everything is on the road to recovery. :thumbup:

I got the storm warning as a text message, so I knew to watch the streaming feed from Channel 4 that night. I have friends and relatives scattered from downtown to Bexley, Pickerington, Reynoldsburg and Westerville. When I saw the area that was hit, my first thought was of the tornado that hit the Central College area, east of Westerville a few years back. This was a few miles east of there, right?
This is just between Ulry/Lee- Central College and Central College and N Hamilton Rd.

I had no idea it was a twister until I looked at the damage.

RedFanAlways1966
10-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Holy crap! Glad everyone is okay, smith. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures.

I have never been in a tornado. I was working at Ceasar's Creek Flea Market when I was about 12 (my uncle used to own it) and saw a twister coming out of the clouds, but it was still way-way up in the sky. It was still very windy though! I have always had a paranoia about twisters. Both houses I have owned had basements and I would never consider buying a house without one.

Property can be replaced. Just happy to hear that you and yours are okay.

smith288
10-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Holy crap! Glad everyone is okay, smith. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures.

I have never been in a tornado. I was working at Ceasar's Creek Flea Market when I was about 12 (my uncle used to own it) and saw a twister coming out of the clouds, but it was still way-way up in the sky. It was still very windy though! I have always had a paranoia about twisters. Both houses I have owned had basements and I would never consider buying a house without one.

Property can be replaced. Just happy to hear that you and yours are okay.
Obviously no where near the GAC tragedy so Im thankful for that

KronoRed
10-13-2006, 03:37 PM
Glad you're ok Smith :)

smith288
10-13-2006, 03:40 PM
This is good stuff. I cant remove the 1 ton tree from my house until the price for said services is ok'd by the Insurance nevermind the fact a house was never meant to withstand a 1 ton tree.

Safety is #2 apparently.

Chip R
10-13-2006, 04:56 PM
Glad you're OK Smith. I was in a Mesocyclone once. I was driving this little Geo against the wind to get home.

smith288
10-13-2006, 05:05 PM
Glad you're OK Smith. I was in a Mesocyclone once. I was driving this little Geo against the wind to get home.
lol. I bet that was frightening.

GAC
10-14-2006, 07:58 AM
Obviously no where near the GAC tragedy so Im thankful for that

If you need any kind of assistance, then please let us all know. ;)

redsfan30
10-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Glad to hear you're ok, Smith.

smith288
10-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Hey, got the tree off my house and I discovered minimal damage. WhOoT!

There is about a 8 inch hole but there doesnt appear to be any structural damage.

My house was built in a time when it was good wood apparently.

Thanks y'all for the well wishes and stories you gave.

ghettochild
10-14-2006, 10:56 PM
i live in texas, north of dallas...in all the 9 years i've lived here i have never been under a tornado warning.

something majors due lol

smith288
10-16-2006, 09:02 AM
i live in texas, north of dallas...in all the 9 years i've lived here i have never been under a tornado warning.

something majors due lol
Wow...thats pretty amazing being in T'nader alley.

I feel pretty confident I wont see another tornado for a very long time.

RFS62
10-16-2006, 09:49 AM
Wow...thats pretty amazing being in T'nader alley.

I feel pretty confident I wont see another tornado for a very long time.

You're like Garp. You're pre-disastered.

smith288
10-16-2006, 10:32 AM
You're like Garp. You're pre-disastered.
Its sorta like an insurance policy. Get hit with a tornado once, chances are you wont get it again.

Ill take it.

SunDeck
10-16-2006, 08:41 PM
Its sorta like an insurance policy. Get hit with a tornado once, chances are you wont get it again.

Ill take it.

I wouldn't cancel my homeowners policy though. :)
Glad you, the wife, the kids and the pets are all safe.