PDA

View Full Version : Albert Pujols quote on Tom Glavine

WMR
10-13-2006, 04:34 PM
"He wasn't good. He wasn't good at all... (He did the) same thing that he always does. Throw a changeup, fastball and that was it."

Falls City Beer
10-13-2006, 04:36 PM
"He wasn't good. He wasn't good at all... (He did the) same thing that he always does. Throw a changeup, fastball and that was it."

Yeah, it's just chest-puffing and posturing by Pujols, but seriously, athletes should be seen and not heard.

He just sounds like a ******.

dabvu2498
10-13-2006, 04:44 PM
I guess that means his teammate Weaver's performance was a real POS.

Roy Tucker
10-13-2006, 05:01 PM
He's been doing it for 290+ wins now. Must be doing something right.

kbrake
10-13-2006, 05:08 PM
Pujols just got called a ******.....I love it!

redsfan30
10-13-2006, 05:22 PM
If he sucks so bad, why did you take an 0-fer??

OnBaseMachine
10-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Pujols is an idiot. Biggest showboater and dumbass in all of major league baseball. This was just one of his 'roid rages. I love to see ole HGH Pujols make an ass of himself; I hope Glavine sticks one in HGH's earhole next time he faces him.

Screw you HGH.

Strikes Out Looking
10-13-2006, 05:54 PM
I think I hate Pujols as much as I hate Bonds. Why didn't our scouts find him? And why don't our pitchers plunk him next time they meet, just for the fun of it?

OnBaseMachine
10-13-2006, 05:59 PM
I love Barry Bonds compared to Pujols. I don't hate anyone, but if I did it would be Pujols. Dude is a roided up ass.

RFS62
10-13-2006, 06:18 PM
Dude is the best baseball player on the planet

paulrichjr
10-13-2006, 06:34 PM

Yea but he must be an idiot. He just talked bad about a guy who blanked his team and him last night. What does that make him?

WMR
10-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Yea but he must be an idiot. He just talked bad about a guy who blanked his team and him last night. What does that make him?

Maybe an idiot.

Definitely an ass with no class badmouthing one of the classiest, durable and most-talented pitchers of his generation.

paintmered
10-13-2006, 06:51 PM
You stay classy, Albert.

Blimpie
10-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Pujols just got called a ******.....I love it!I'm surprised we haven't seen his named spelled "Poo-Holes" yet in this thread. Well, never mind.

OnBaseMachine
10-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Pujols is a roided up freak. Therefore, I don't consider him one of the best players in baseball.

CrackerJack
10-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Pujols is a roided up freak. Therefore, I don't consider him one of the best players in baseball.

:dunno:

Blimpie
10-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Pujols is a roided up freak. Therefore, I don't consider him one of the best players in baseball.Juicy rumors and rampant speculation should never be used to indict someone. Therefore, forgive people if they do not simply goose-step in line behind you to share your zeal for torching Albert Pujols.

RedFanAlways1966
10-13-2006, 07:34 PM

Wow. I guess that says a whole bunch about the Cardinals hitting abilities at this time. Must be worse than no good. That isn't a good thing of course... it is worse than no good.

RedsManRick
10-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Pujols is right. Glavine did what he always does, throw tailing fastballs and changeups on the outside corner. What's wrong with him saying that? Glavine has put together a HOF career doing that. Pujols expressed frustration in his inability to deal with it.

OnBaseMachine
10-13-2006, 07:53 PM
Pujols is right. Glavine did what he always does, throw tailing fastballs and changeups on the outside corner. What's wrong with him saying that? Glavine has put together a HOF career doing that. Pujols expressed frustration in his inability to deal with it.

He said a first-ballot HOFer wasn't good. He basically said Glavine has had a poor career. Sorry fat Albert, Glavine has had an awesome career, and unlike you, he hasn't used HGH.

MrCinatit
10-13-2006, 08:25 PM
Pujols sounds like one of those kids who does nothing but play video games all day, then gets his butt smacked in one of those games.
It's the controls, the internet connection is bad, it's luck, there was a lag, there is a glare on the screen, the joystick was locked up, the other guy cheated - but none of it is because one guy simply outplayed and outclassed the other guy.

redsrule2500
10-13-2006, 10:01 PM
Pujols sounds like one of those kids who does nothing but play video games all day, then gets his butt smacked in one of those games.
It's the controls, the internet connection is bad, it's luck, there was a lag, there is a glare on the screen, the joystick was locked up, the other guy cheated - but none of it is because one guy simply outplayed and outclassed the other guy.

hahahaha:laugh:

Caveat Emperor
10-13-2006, 10:17 PM

Lucky for him, bashing the baseball absolves one of the need for social graces.

Reds Nd2
10-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Juicy rumors and rampant speculation should never be used to indict someone. Therefore, forgive people if they do not simply goose-step in line behind you to share your zeal for torching Albert Pujols.

Excellent post.

Reds Nd2
10-13-2006, 10:22 PM

Link please.

Reds Nd2
10-13-2006, 10:25 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=5617

Just after last night’s game ended, Fox’s Kevin Kennedy said, “Welke called a perfect game, actually, for both guys.”

Well, he certainly tried.

Home-plate umpire Tim Welke’s strike zone affected and defined last night’s game more than any player. Tom Glavine, Carlos Beltran, Albert Pujols…none of these stars had the impact on the contest that Welke did. The strike zone in last night’s game was huge extending 2-3 inches outside, an inch or two inside and—this is the most unusual part—both high and low. We’ve become used to seeing a wide zone, but seeing a tall one is still a bit disconcerting.

The combination affected not just this game, which was turned into a pitchers’ duel between two mid-rotation starters, but the entire series. Remember that last night’s starting pitchers, Glavine and Jeff Weaver, will most likely have to come back and pitch on short rest in Game Five. Beyond that, the bullpens of both these teams will be tested by playing for five straight days. Had last night’s game featured a normal strike zone, it’s likely that both starters would have had to work harder, and both bullpens as well. Remember, Glavine and Weaver are both pitchers who need to stay out of the middle of the zone; giving them the edges is like turning the game into Christmas morning. Welke’s zone allowed the teams to get their starters out with relatively low pitch counts and without overly taxing their pens.

Falls City Beer
10-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Link please.

I'll keep searching, but I've seen this quote elsewhere, too.

Your skepticism is warranted, I suppose, but WilyMo's a legitimate poster.

WMR
10-13-2006, 10:37 PM
I copied it verbatim off of ESPN. No link.

Falls City Beer
10-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Here you go; from the Post-Dispatch:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/E7C224A288613BF2862572070005ECE0?OpenDocument

I don't think Pujols is a roid-head, but he is becoming more and more of a tool in the press.

WMR
10-13-2006, 10:39 PM
Thanks, FCB.

Reds Nd2
10-13-2006, 11:33 PM
I'll keep searching, but I've seen this quote elsewhere, too.

Your skepticism is warranted, I suppose, but WilyMo's a legitimate poster.

Yes he is, but you know that's not generally how it works around here. At least it shouldn't work that way on RedsZone. We have legitimate posters throwing out steroid/HGH accusations like they were the candy at a Christmas parade in this thread too. And hey, what can I say, I'm naturally a skeptical SOB. :)

I copied it verbatim off of ESPN. No link.

No problem WMR. I often read/hear things from different sources that might warrant discussion but that I have no link for. I just wanted to read the comments for myself, if possible. As you know, people often read the same thing and have different perceptions of their meaning.

Here you go; from the Post-Dispatch:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/E7C224A288613BF2862572070005ECE0?OpenDocument

I don't think Pujols is a roid-head, but he is becoming more and more of a tool in the press.

Mucho thanks for the link FCB.

As for Pujols being a roid-head, I have serious questions about every player in professional baseball at this point, be it MLB, the Indy leagues, or wherever players are being paid to play baseball. That suspicion just comes with the territory now. It's no longer just steroids and HGH. Will Carroll mentioned in a UTK article just after the Jason Grimsely story broke, that players had already moved beyond HGH. And while I think he's correct, it doesn't excuse the types of comments being made on this thread regarding Pujols.

Falls City Beer
10-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Yes he is, but you know that's not generally how it works around here.

That's kind of how it works with me. Could be laziness, could be naivete, could be that I just trust some people and not others.

Swampturkey
10-14-2006, 12:17 AM
I LOVE my Cardinals and Pujols is an amazing player and I do love him, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit to having lost some respect for him for his comments yesterday. He sounded like a sore loser and I was very disappointed with what he said. No, Glavine wasn't great, but he wasn't bad either and he is a vet who deserved more respect than what he got from AP.

I hope this is the last time that AP disappoints me with something he says after a game is over.

WVPacman
10-14-2006, 12:31 AM
Yeah, it's just chest-puffing and posturing by Pujols, but seriously, athletes should be seen and not heard.

He just sounds like a ******.

It sounds like the steroids is going to his head!! yes I said hes on steroids.
:laugh:

cincinnati chili
10-14-2006, 12:22 PM
This reminds me of a story that was told about Pete Rose. It might have been told by Joe Morgan.

It happened during the first inning of one of Nolan Ryan's many one or two hit shutout dominating performances.

Rose struck out in the first inning, passed the guy in the on deck circle. Guy in on deck circle asked Rose, "What's Ryan got tonight?"

The answer: "He's got nothing." (Ryan then went on to dominate)

This is the kind of thing you expect from a competitor. Albert shouldn't have said this to the media, but great competitors always think they can and should beat the other guy.

This is much ado about nothing, IMO.

MWM
10-14-2006, 12:34 PM
I don't know, chili. I agree with thinking it, but I don't think saying it publicly is much ado about nothing. Publicly disrespecting someone with the accomplishments of Tom Glavine after he just dominated your team in a critical playoff game is incredibly Bush League, IMO.

cincinnati chili
10-14-2006, 06:36 PM
I'll agree to disagree, MWM. He shouldn't have said it, but it's not that big a deal to me. But I can understand why you and others would feel strongly about it.

For the record, I think we're witnessing a slingshot effect with Albert Pujols. When he came up, he was hailed as messiah-like by the media. In fact, he was a human being with some good qualities, some bad qualities, and monster baseball ability.

To quote from Bill James' baseball abstract in 2001:

Dwight Gooden
When a young player comes to the major leagues and has success right away, writers will almost always write about what a fine young man he is as well as a supreme talent. Never pay attention to those articles or those descriptions . . . Albert Pujols is going through this now . . . people who didn't know Albert Pujols from Jack the Ripper six months ago and have never talked to him more than six feet from his locker are writing very sincerely about what an exceptional young man he is. Doc Gooden, his first three years in baseball, was supposed to be mature beyond his years, polite to everybody, and kind to stray kitens. Rickey Henderson was routinely described, from 1980 to 1982 as "a Jack Amstrong type kid."

Sportswriters, despite their cynicism or because of it, desperately want to believe in athletes as heroes, and will project their hopes onto anyone who offers a blank slate. The problem with this is that, when the player turns out to be huan and fallible, people feel betrayed. It is a disservice to athletes to try to make them more than they really are.

I agree with with James, and think he'd agree that it's also a disservice to athletes to try to make them less than they really are... as has been done in this thread (see the 'roid comments, etc).

Ravenlord
10-14-2006, 08:14 PM
am i the only person who thinks Pujols didn't quite mean what he said, but it's more of a poor use of English?

Crosley68
10-14-2006, 08:37 PM
I understand their frustration. Glavine was given that 22" plate that he use to get when he was a Brave. I wanted the Mets to win, but that strike zone was rediculous.
No one can cover the stike zone as well as Pujols, but no one can cover 2" inside and 3" outside which was the zone last night.

OnBaseMachine
10-14-2006, 08:38 PM
I understand their frustration. Glavine was given that 22" plate that he use to get when he was a Brave. I wanted the Mets to win, but that strike zone was rediculous.
No one can cover the stike zone as well as Pujols, but no one can cover 2" inside and 3" outside which was the zone last night.

Weaver was getting the same strikezone.

Crosley68
10-14-2006, 09:32 PM
No one asked Pujols about Weaver.

cincinnati chili
10-15-2006, 01:13 AM
am i the only person who thinks Pujols didn't quite mean what he said, but it's more of a poor use of English?

Hispanics are more likely to use the English language poorly. It's proven. (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1178878&postcount=18)

GAC
10-15-2006, 08:43 AM
I wish Albert was manning 1B for the Reds. ;)