PDA

View Full Version : Philosophy with Younger Players

dunner13
10-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Right now it seems like the plan is for voto to arrive either late in the season or 08. Bailey to probably start the season in AAA, despite many people saying hes ready now. The question is would it help or hurt to start the season with voto at first and bailey in the rotation? Should the reds be cautious or are they hurting the team by playing guys like hatteberg and milton instead of voto and bailey? So what do you think are the reds to cautious with young players?

*Personally I think the reds to a good job with not rushing young players. Break them in slowly when theres not alot of pressure.

Falls City Beer
10-13-2006, 11:03 PM
*Personally I think the reds to a good job with not rushing young players. Break them in slowly when theres not alot of pressure.

So you're saying there's going to be pressure next season? :)

I doubt it.

I can't think of a better time. Get 'em both up here, take their lumps, and be ready for non-simulated combat in '08. Cause this team ain't contending in '07.

dougdirt
10-13-2006, 11:12 PM
Votto is, in my opinion more ready to make the jump to the big leagues than Homer is. Hitters usually make a much better adjustment than pitchers. Votto also has more seasoning. That said, I bet we see Homer a lot sooner than we see Votto.

dunner13
10-14-2006, 01:08 AM

I doubt it.

I can't think of a better time. Get 'em both up here, take their lumps, and be ready for non-simulated combat in '08. Cause this team ain't contending in '07.

I think playing your first big league game on opening day would be some pressure. It would be much easier to come up mid june and start playing.

Falls City Beer
10-14-2006, 01:14 AM
I think playing your first big league game on opening day would be some pressure. It would be much easier to come up mid june and start playing.

Maybe, but I'd like for them to have faced some butterflies before 08.

redsupport
10-14-2006, 01:28 AM
yeah the reds do a great job with young players. Why, their record with young pitchers is truly excellent. Enumerate all the cy young winners the this pitching rich organization has spawned. They did a great job handling Gary Nolan, an even better job with Wayne Simpson, why they are a veritable blueprint for how to handle young players. On the other hand, I think they did a great job with Arturo de Frietas

dunner13
10-14-2006, 01:37 AM
yeah the reds do a great job with young players. Why, their record with young pitchers is truly excellent. Enumerate all the cy young winners the this pitching rich organization has spawned. They did a great job handling Gary Nolan, an even better job with Wayne Simpson, why they are a veritable blueprint for how to handle young players. On the other hand, I think they did a great job with Arturo de Frietas

Yeh that really applies considering that the entire front office has changed since then.

jmac
10-14-2006, 09:54 AM

I doubt it.

I can't think of a better time. Cause this team ain't contending in '07.

before 06.....we heard "this team will not contend"....then all during season,
guys like stark and friends said reds "wouldnt stay in it".
guess what? we did. yes the NL was certainly down but to contend for wildcard, you need to play 500 ball, then have one good stretch somewhere.
we now have 2 very dependable starters to anchor a rotation.
i do agree the team that ended 06 doesnt look as strong in other areas, however I highly doubt the team as we see it now will be the one that opens the season.
my guess is we will have 2 in the starting 8 that is not even on team now.who they are will go a long way in determining if we contend or not.

RANDY IN INDY
10-14-2006, 09:59 AM
If they are anywhere close to ready, I think it would be a great time for Votto and Bailey to make the jump. They might take some lumps early, they might not, but Opening Day would be a great time to see them up, and a great signal to the rest of the minor league system. Put up the numbers and you'll be here sooner than later.

redsmetz
10-14-2006, 10:39 AM
I know I'm a broken record, but I think Krivsky is committed to returning AAA to its development level. While we may see some "spare parts" or journeyman down there (the proverbial AAAA player), I think we will see both Bailey and Votto starting in Louisville. I think Wayne is intent on returning the development program to its full length, not short circuiting guys development for the quick fix. Patience is the watchword. I think too, this is why he's resigned Hatteberg who can slide out of the starting position when Votto is ready.