PDA

View Full Version : Is this the Cardinals' 1975?

Falls City Beer
10-14-2006, 12:10 AM
In other words: is this the year, after years of greatness but postseason frustration? Is this the year they punch through to the other side?

There's not a better bullpen extant in MLB right now. Kinney, Thompson, and Wainwright form a brute trifecta; and Tyler Johnson's no slouch of late. And a postseason offense only needs two hitters, and the Cards have that in spades: Pujols and Spiezio.

Swampturkey
10-14-2006, 12:14 AM
Out bullpen has stunned me (a Cards fan to those who don't know) beyond belief. I can't recall a single time all season long when they performed this well.

It's coming at the right time for us.

Wheelhouse
10-14-2006, 12:15 AM
They have a serious limitation: LaRussa. He made some nice moves tonight which means tommorowhe'll tinker them out of a game, since he'll be filled with all that great self-esteem.

Falls City Beer
10-14-2006, 12:15 AM
Out bullpen has stunned me (a Cards fan to those who don't know) beyond belief. I can't recall a single time all season long when they performed this well.

I don't believe the young men above mentioned have surrendered more than three hits among them this postseason.

Swampturkey
10-14-2006, 12:25 AM
Wainwright has been very good for us all season with the exception of just a poor outting or two. He has had some big innings this season and been huge for this team. So him I trust.

Flores on the other hand looked horrible in September. I wasn't even sure I wanted him on the postseason roster.

Hancock has been good but not great, TJ is so young that I always worry about rooks on a postseason roster, and Kinney has looked good for us, but I think it was just a year ago or so that he was playing for the River City Rascals. Bet none of you have even heard of them as I think they're called an independant league or something like that.

So I am definately surprised by the way they've pitched.

Pleaseantly surprised and hoping it continues.

Falls City Beer
10-14-2006, 12:27 AM
Wainwright has been very good for us all season with the exception of just a poor outting or two. He has had some big innings this season and been huge for this team. So him I trust.

Flores on the other hand looked horrible in September. I wasn't even sure I wanted him on the postseason roster.

Hancock has been good but not great, TJ is so young that I always worry about rooks on a postseason roster, and Kinney has looked good for us, but I think it was just a year ago or so that he was playing for the River City Rascals. Bet none of you have even heard of them as I think they're called an independant league or something like that.

So I am definately surprised by the way they've pitched.

Pleaseantly surprised and hoping it continues.

The magic's only got to last seven more games. It's very doable. At their best, the Cards can wipe the floor with any of the remaining teams; can they keep it up?

OnBaseMachine
10-14-2006, 12:33 AM
Brad Thomspon - 1.38 WHIP and a 20 bb/32 k rate. I don't see what all the hype is about. And I'm trying to figure out when Spiezio became a good hitter.

Cardinals are awful...it will be an embarrassment for baseball if this .500 team wins the World Series.

Falls City Beer
10-14-2006, 12:34 AM
Brad Thomspon - 1.38 WHIP and a 20 bb/32 k rate. I don't see what all the hype is about. And I'm trying to figure out when Spiezio became a good hitter.

Cardinals are awful...it will be an embarrassment for baseball if this .500 team wins the World Series.

Very few predicted the Marlins' Series victory.

OnBaseMachine
10-14-2006, 12:39 AM
Very few predicted the Marlins' Series victory.

The Marlins had Dontrelle Willis, Josh Beckett, Brad Penny, plus decent years from Mark Redman, and Carl Pavano. The Cardinals have exactly one good starting pitcher, and he got beat up tonight.

Swampturkey
10-14-2006, 12:40 AM

I won't be embarrassed. Don't think the Cards would either. Don't think my fellow Cardinal loving fans would be either.

Don't much care about the rest of baseball.

Would you be embarrassed if the roles were reversed and it was the Reds and not the Cards with this record in this NLCS?

Swampturkey
10-14-2006, 12:41 AM
The Marlins had Dontrelle Willis, Josh Beckett, Brad Penny, plus decent years from Mark Redman, and Carl Pavano. The Cardinals have exactly one good starting pitcher, and he got beat up tonight.

But the team still won.

And Carp didn't win 83 games by himself. He got some help.

OnBaseMachine
10-14-2006, 12:42 AM
I won't be embarrassed. Don't think the Cards would either. Don't think my fellow Cardinal loving fans would be either.

Don't much care about the rest of baseball.

Would you be embarrassed if the roles were reversed and it was the Reds and not the Cards with this record in this NLCS?

I have said many times that neither my Reds, nor the Astros or Cards deserved to even make the playoffs. All three teams were horrible this year and didn't deserve a spot in the playoffs.

OnBaseMachine
10-14-2006, 12:43 AM
And Carp didn't win 83 games by himself. He got some help.

Yeah, from the horrible National League.

Swampturkey
10-14-2006, 12:45 AM
They may not have deserved it, but they got it, are in, and are one of just 4 teams left playing.

Once you get to the postseason, all bets are off and you start over 0-0.

The Yankees had the best record in the AL and are already at home. Did they deserve to have a first round exit? Not if you go by records alone, but that's the way it is in this game.

The more deserving team or the best team doesn't always win the WS. Cards had the best team in 2004 and I believe last season with the 100 wins, but they didn't get the ring they wanted then. I think they're trying a new approach this year...stink it up in the regular season, turn it on in the postseason.

MWM
10-14-2006, 12:52 AM
If I were a Cards fan, I wouldn't care how they won it. But as a non-Cards fan and a fan of the NL, I'd also be a little embarassed if the Cards are the NL rep in the World Series. It would be the weakest NL team in the Series as long as I've been following baseball.

Falls City Beer
10-14-2006, 12:55 AM
If I were a Cards fan, I wouldn't care how they won it. But as a non-Cards fan and a fan of the NL, I'd also be a little embarassed if the Cards are the NL rep in the World Series. It would be the weakest NL team in the Series as long as I've been following baseball.

I don't think this current incarnation of the Cards is that weak. Their record says so, I guess, but there may not be a tougher, more war-hardened and hungry squad than the Cardinals right now.

MWM
10-14-2006, 01:03 AM
Just curious, FCB. You're constantly pimping the Cardinals on this board. Why the fascination with that organization. This year's team, and yes the current version, is NOT very good. They've got exactly 1 legitimate playoff caliber starter and a few decent relievers. Outside of Pujols, the offense is pedestrian at best. I'm trying to be objective here, and I can't think a weaker team in the NLCS in the time I've been following closely.

It was just a bizarre year for the NL. The Mets were the only team that would have had a legitimate chance at making the playoffs if there weren't two separate leagues and they all played in one. I can think of 5 better teams from the AL who didn't make the playoffs.

Falls City Beer
10-14-2006, 01:10 AM
Just curious, FCB. You're constantly pimping the Cardinals on this board. Why the fascination with that organization. This year's team, and yes the current version, is NOT very good. They've got exactly 1 legitimate playoff caliber starter and a few decent relievers. Outside of Pujols, the offense is pedestrian at best. I'm trying to be objective here, and I can't think a weaker team in the NLCS in the time I've been following closely.

It was just a bizarre year for the NL. The Mets were the only team that would have had a legitimate chance at making the playoffs if there weren't two separate leagues and they all played in one. I can think of 5 better teams from the AL who didn't make the playoffs.

I guess really all I'm saying is that what a team does in the regular season doesn't really matter if you ride a hot streak into the postseason. I don't think this incarnation of the Cards is fantastic over the long haul, but I think they found the right ingredients at the right time. And I absolutely think they're a better team than the Mets; better bullpen, better offense, similar rotation.

The Tigers may beat them, that may be. But the Cards just delivered the Mets a swift kick in the nuts.

Phhhl
10-14-2006, 01:17 AM
The Cards can win. The condition of both of these clubs is disgraceful for an NLCS. The Mets have one starting pitcher and the Cardinals might be the weakest team to reach the NLCS since realignment. If the Tigers don't thoroughly trounce either of these clubs in the World Series I will be absolutely stunned. It's almost a shame we have to be subjected to watching these clowns duke it out.

BTW, bringing up the year 1975, when two great teams squared off in one of the greatest series in the history of the game, is ironic.

guttle11
10-14-2006, 01:24 AM
I have said many times that neither my Reds, nor the Astros or Cards deserved to even make the playoffs. All three teams were horrible this year and didn't deserve a spot in the playoffs.

Heck, maybe they should just forfeit so they don't embarrass the game.:rolleyes:

Would the Reds be an embarrassment if they were in the Cardinals' position? No. You just hate the Cardinals.

Jr's Boy
10-14-2006, 01:46 AM
If Reyes really heats up here the next couple games,the Mets will roll.He seems to be the spark.

Topcat
10-14-2006, 02:07 AM
The magic's only got to last seven more games. It's very doable. At their best, the Cards can wipe the floor with any of the remaining teams; can they keep it up?

After all your our division and National league is crap "I" have read thru out this year, I must say that personally "I" am stunned to read you give any props to a National League Central team :eek:

GAC
10-14-2006, 07:42 AM
They may not have deserved it, but they got it, are in, and are one of just 4 teams left playing.

Once you get to the postseason, all bets are off and you start over 0-0.

The Yankees had the best record in the AL and are already at home. Did they deserve to have a first round exit? Not if you go by records alone, but that's the way it is in this game.

The more deserving team or the best team doesn't always win the WS. Cards had the best team in 2004 and I believe last season with the 100 wins, but they didn't get the ring they wanted then. I think they're trying a new approach this year...stink it up in the regular season, turn it on in the postseason.

Exactly. It's not about the team that deserves it, or shows to be the best team on paper.

It's nice to study and look on paper who should, in all probability, come out on top in these things, but.....

The World Series is not won on paper, but on the playing field.

You play for that opportunity. And when you get it, regardless of the varying factors that may have "aided" you in getting there (weak division/weak league)... those factors shouldn't lessen at all what you accomplished.

Maybe they shouldn't have a post-season at all; but just give the trophy to the team that on paper was dominating and deserves to win. Saves time.

David should have never beat Goliath. ;)

If the Cards win it, then they deserved to win it. It's not gonna lessen the victory because they fought/struggled to win the NL Central with a 83-78 record.

And if they make it to the WS, and then end up winning it, then I don't look at it as who was the most deserving, but more like.... they were the underdogs going in who overcame the odds.

But in all honesty - Detroit is on a roll again. And I don't see any NL team fairing well against their staff.

mth123
10-14-2006, 08:07 AM
I think the Cards are stronger than the record shows. The current team has both Edmonds and Eckstein playing. Both are guys who missed a lot of time. Belliard was only there for a couple months and those were months where he was adjusting to a new league. Duncan was only up half the year. That is half the line-up. These guys in there strengthen the bench with Spezio, Taguchi and Miles not starting. If the current team had been on the field all year, they would have won more games.

Throw in a hot pen and the Cards are legit IMO. Not that I'm thrilled about it or anything.

Heath
10-14-2006, 08:21 AM
The 2006 version of the Cardinals remind me more of the 1973 Mets who hobbled to the end line, only to catch fire in the NLCS. Then the A's took care of them in the series.

traderumor
10-14-2006, 08:33 AM
I would expect the offense of Thursday to be more likely throughout this series than last night's. That was the MO during September--futility, waiting for Pujols to bail them out--offensive spurt for a game--back to futility. Speizio is going to threaten Reggie for Mr. October if he keeps this up though, although I would hesitate to give that title to anyone who sports a dyed red sliver of hair on their chin :p:

I also would be nervous as a Cards fan wondering when the bullpen will return to September levels, when LaRussa was leaving Carpenter in to give up seven runs rather than go to the pen. The hot streak is approaching a week now, I'd say it will end at a most inopportune time.

redsmetz
10-14-2006, 08:42 AM
I don't think this current incarnation of the Cards is that weak. Their record says so, I guess, but there may not be a tougher, more war-hardened and hungry squad than the Cardinals right now.

Dang, I find myself agreeing with FCB here. Almost the definition of "scrappy" too. I like all four teams still in the playoffs.

RedsBaron
10-14-2006, 09:43 AM
If the Tigers and the Cardinals both make the World Series, somebody is going to join Sparky Anderson as the only manager to win a World Series in each league. Sparky won the World Series in 1975 and 1976 with the NL's Reds and in 1984 with the AL's Tigers. Jim Leyland previously won a Series with the 1997 Marlins of the NL and Tony LaRussa previously won a Series with the 1989 A's of the AL.

OnBaseMachine
10-14-2006, 09:48 AM
FCB, I would LOVE to know why you think the Cardinals have a better offense than the Mets. The Mets outscored the Cardinals 834 to 781 this regular season for a difference of 53 runs. In the playoffs the Mets have scored 27 runs in five games, and the Cardinals 23 runs in six games. The Mets clearly have the better offense.

puca
10-14-2006, 09:57 AM
But the Mets don't have Cliff Floyd. That is a big loss.

The Cardinals have a good defense, a hot bullpen and good enough offense and starting pitching to win. If they make it that far, I think they will be chewed up by a better Tigers team, but the Cards are far from an embarassment.

A lot of the Cardinal struggles came when Eckstein, Rolen and Edmunds were hurting. Before injuries they were pulling away in the Central.

TeamCasey
10-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Not to divert this thread but...

Go Tigers !!!!! ;) :)

OnBaseMachine
10-14-2006, 11:22 AM

Agreed. I want to see the Tigers win it all.

RANDY IN INDY
10-14-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm rooting for the Tigers, as well, but there are no teams that survived the 162 game schedule that should be embarrassed to be there. The rules are what they are, and unless they go back to the two regular season winners going to the World Series, you play by the rules that are present. The current format opens itself up to divisions being weaker than others and wild cards getting hot at the right time. The Cardinals and their fans should feel no shame, nor should the Tigers who dismantled the "can't miss" Yanks.

I, personally liked the two division league format that began in 1969.

Falls City Beer
10-14-2006, 01:05 PM
But the Mets don't have Cliff Floyd. That is a big loss.

The Cardinals have a good defense, a hot bullpen and good enough offense and starting pitching to win. If they make it that far, I think they will be chewed up by a better Tigers team, but the Cards are far from an embarassment.

A lot of the Cardinal struggles came when Eckstein, Rolen and Edmunds were hurting. Before injuries they were pulling away in the Central.

The Mets' bullpen looked like crap last night--though a few guys wriggled off the hook (Bradford, Feliciano), both Mota and Wagner looked like total dogcrap.

Plus I would add that any offense containing Pujols, Edmonds, and a hot Spiezio should be respected mightily. You might say, Yeah, but Edmonds hasn't been very good this year. To which I would say, Maybe by Edmonds standards, but even in a down year for Edmonds, he's still light years ahead of a guy like Kearns in a good year. That should tell you something about how dangerous Edmonds still is, injuries or no.

(If the Cards don't exercise their option on Edmonds, I hope to hell the Reds move hard to pick him up).

redsrule2500
10-14-2006, 02:46 PM
I hope they make it honestly, I'm sick of AL winning. Even though Detroit, with Sean Casey, wouldn't be bad either....

Ltlabner
10-14-2006, 02:54 PM

I have to say I almost fell out of my chair when I read this.

On the Reds war-hardend and hungry players are derided and reviled. But on the Cards it's some badge of honor?

With the Reds it's all luck and the record is a mirage. They are a far worse team than their record, but with the Cards their record is irrlevant and not an accurate descriptor of their team.

Falls City Beer
10-14-2006, 03:19 PM
With the Reds it's all luck and the record is a mirage. They are a far worse team than their record, but with the Cards their record is irrlevant and not an accurate descriptor of their team.

That's pretty much it, yeah. Now occasionally the Reds will get pythag unlucky, but this wasn't one of those years; they played over their heads. The Cards were better than their 83 wins according to the same formulation.

Is it always that way? Of course not. There have been and will be times when the Cards aren't as good as their record suggests. But that's not the case this year, particularly when you factor in injuries to the Cards' equation.

Falls City Beer
10-14-2006, 03:20 PM
On the Reds war-hardend and hungry players are derided and reviled. But on the Cards it's some badge of honor?

What I mean by that is the Cards have been through the postseason ringer on several occasions, unlike the Reds (or many of the Mets for that matter).

macro
10-14-2006, 04:04 PM

I'll second that!!

Swampturkey
10-14-2006, 05:37 PM
I would expect the offense of Thursday to be more likely throughout this series than last night's. That was the MO during September--futility, waiting for Pujols to bail them out--offensive spurt for a game--back to futility. Speizio is going to threaten Reggie for Mr. October if he keeps this up though, although I would hesitate to give that title to anyone who sports a dyed red sliver of hair on their chin :p:

I also would be nervous as a Cards fan wondering when the bullpen will return to September levels, when LaRussa was leaving Carpenter in to give up seven runs rather than go to the pen. The hot streak is approaching a week now, I'd say it will end at a most inopportune time.

Pujols hasn't had a very great past few games. Yeah, he got a couple of key hits yesterday, but before that was 0-12. Speizo has been clutch for us a lot this season so it's not like we only have AP. Also, Edmonds didn't have a great season, coupled with a ton of injuries, but when the postseason hits, so does Edmonds. He always seems to step it up for the big games. Last nights homer what his 12th postseason homer in his career. He has a flare for the dramatic. This team is more than meets the ah...Pujols. ;)

And as for our pen, I am very nervous wondering if/when the pen will return to earth. I'm hoping it's not until after October. :)

I wouldn't even say the Cards are on a hot streak. In their two postseason losses this season, they looked extremely cold with the bats. They just seem to be better now than during the regular season. They seem to be able to overcome the losses better now. I attribute that to them having everyone together, except maybe for Rolen, but Spiezio is proving to be a supersub.

Swampturkey
10-14-2006, 05:39 PM
I'll second that!!

If the Cards don't make it to the World Series and it's the Mets, then I will third that. :)

traderumor
10-14-2006, 07:09 PM
If the Cards don't make it to the World Series and it's the Mets, then I will third that. :)If the Cards don't make the World Series, I'll bet you a gazillion dollars that the Mets make it. :evil: ;)

PuffyPig
10-14-2006, 07:16 PM
In other words: is this the year, after years of greatness but postseason frustration? Is this the year they punch through to the other side?

There's not a better bullpen extant in MLB right now. Kinney, Thompson, and Wainwright form a brute trifecta; and Tyler Johnson's no slouch of late. And a postseason offense only needs two hitters, and the Cards have that in spades: Pujols and Spiezio.

Kinney and Thompson have been great, what, 2 weeks. Spezio? Any player can get hot at any time, but there's no reason to expect it to continue.

Detroits bullpen with Rodney, Z(whatever) and Jones (among others) stacks up to the Kinney reteads pretty well.

The post season is a crap shoot to be sure. But the Cards certainly do not stack up well to any of the remaining team. Only injuries to Martinez and Hernandez give them any chance at all vs. the Muts.

Phhhl
10-14-2006, 07:20 PM
The Cards are a mediocre, aging club. They would have been so if they had stayed healthy all year. I didn't like the club coming into the season, and they turned out to barely be a .500 ballclub. Here's hoping the Mets put them out of our misery by taking the next three in a row. The Tigers will kill either of those teams, but at least the Mets can hit.

Falls City Beer
10-14-2006, 07:22 PM
Kinney and Thompson have been great, what, 2 weeks. Spezio? Any player can get hot at any time, but there's no reason to expect it to continue.

Detroits bullpen with Rodney, Z(whatever) and Jones (among others) stacks up to the Kinney reteads pretty well.

The post season is a crap shoot to be sure. But the Cards certainly do not stack up well to any of the remaining team. Only injuries to Martinez and Hernandez give them any chance at all vs. the Muts.

Wainwright, Thompson, and Johnson aren't retreads.

Patrick Bateman
10-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Wainwright, Thompson, and Johnson aren't retreads.

I only said that Kinney was.

Just noticed I posted under my sons name. Sorry.

redsmetz
10-15-2006, 08:42 AM
The Cards are a mediocre, aging club. They would have been so if they had stayed healthy all year. I didn't like the club coming into the season, and they turned out to barely be a .500 ballclub. Here's hoping the Mets put them out of our misery by taking the next three in a row. The Tigers will kill either of those teams, but at least the Mets can hit.

I like the Tigers a lot and they're playing as hot as any one - boy, what a good little team they have. But that said, don't write off a team like the Cards, who aren't quite as "aging" as you think. Sure, Edmonds is getting up there and Rolens is in his 30's somewhere. They're more hobbled than aging. But they also are riding a hot streak, which showed up on set just at the right time.

And I've gained respect for LaRussa since reading that book Three Days in August. He's no dummy and he's pulling strings as well as anyone. I think watching him and Jim Leyland against one another in a Series would be as interesting an event as any.

RFS62
10-15-2006, 10:31 PM

Oops

PuffyPig
10-15-2006, 11:17 PM
If there's a sport where you shouldn't rely too heavily on a small sample size (especially in comparison to a larger size), it's baseball.

The Cards bullpen had given up about 1 run in 20 innings before tonight.

So far they've given up 10 and counting tonight.

No one could predict they would fall this quickly, and this far, but when you are relying night after night on the Thompsons, Johnsons and Hancocks of the world, you are going to get burned.

mth123
10-16-2006, 05:50 AM
Beltran and Delgado are pretty good. Some one was going to pay for 14 innings of scoreless ball eventually. Not sure if it reflects that much on the St. Louis pen.

vaticanplum
10-16-2006, 02:17 PM
I agree with one point going down here: the Cards are getting hot at the right time. I respect the current system of division winners/wild card selection, and if you win your division, you "deserve" to go to the playoffs, period. I don't care if the team has a record under .500. That's the criteria, and that's how you get a good mix of teams in the playoffs. If it's a truly horrible team, then it will get knocked out early. But I don't think that any team that makes the playoffs is truly horrible. Weaker in comparison, perhaps, but you still have to do a lot to survive over four other teams in the course of a season. Once in the playoffs, it is truly anybody's game, and I like that. Not to mention that the playoffs are so heavily covered that a certain "story" or opinion can get grabbed by the media and latched onto by the public, when it isn't necessarily sound (ie. an underdog can be created by the press when statistics and analysis prove otherwise). So I will never be upset if a "bad" team wins the World Series. The better team of two in seven games wins the World Series. That's the nature of any championship in any sport.

So I will not begrudge the Cardinals if they win it all; in fact, the impartial side of me would find it kind of nifty even though the real me doesn't like the Cards. They could do it. It's not going to be easy, I don't think, but certainly they could. The point which I do contend though is that they are really a stronger team than the Mets. They've gotten a little hot (although after last night they may cool fast). But they're still not as strong as the Mets, particularly offensively. Pujols will always be dangerous, even if his bat goes silent for ten games -- you know he's a huge threat at any time. But overall I just don't think you can compare an offense built around Pujols, Edmonds, Spezio, Rolen and Eckstein to one of Delgado, Beltran, Reyes and Wright, among others. They can get hot and beat them, yes. But they're not better. That Mets offense is all-around scary in every aspect. The other aspects of the two teams are pretty comparable in my opinion: starting pitching (with a very slight edge going to the Cards), bullpen and defense (a slight edge going to the Mets in both). I think the Mets are all-around a better team. And I do still think they'll win. If not, I think there's a good chance the Cards get swept in the WS again.

oregonred
10-16-2006, 03:12 PM
After tuning in to some of this almost unwatchable and embarrassingly pitching poor NLCS, I'm still convinced that if Homer Bailey can break through next year to be at least an average/slightly above rotation member that the Reds can win this division (and have a shot at the pennant if some things break right). The marginal difference between 90 losses and 90 wins next year in the NL seems smaller than ever.

Harang + Arroyo + Bailey could be as interesting and good of a top three as any in the NL by 2H '07.

Need to find a couple of pen guys to provide an infusion (either 1-2 of the intriguing arms at AA or somewhere else) and obviously some kind of MI plug-in solution at 2B/SS (besides Phillips)

We have a postseason where two New York teams both struggled to find even passable #2/#3 starters. I still find it hard to believe that this is the LCS, the elite four teams left and we have Josh Hancock on the mound at a critical time in game 4, Jeff Weaver starting games 1/5, Oliver Perez as an emergency game 4 starter (and winner), DeAngelo Jiminez making more than a cameo apperance for the A's and past Redszone whipping boys (Casey/Todd Jones and the almost-Red Chicken Man) playing key roles for the likely World Champs. Everyone has some gaping holes, even the teams with $100M payrolls.

Very strange postseason...