PDA

View Full Version : OSU vs Michigan State

GAC
10-14-2006, 06:36 AM
Alot of people were wary going into the Iowa game.

This is the game that has me worrying somewhat.

Which MSU team will show up?

3:30 p.m. ET, ABC
East Lansing, Mich. - Spartan Stadium
Series: OSU leads 24-12; Last Meeting: 2005 OSU 35 - MSU 24

Buckeyes Tackle the Spartans in East Lansing

http://www.wbns10tv.com/?sec=home&story=sites/10tv/content/pool/200610/1201482392.html

Ohio State is taking on Michigan State Saturday, and OSU has every reason to stay on its toes; MSU has defeated the number one team in the country three times in school history, and twice, it has been Ohio State.

Adding to the upset alert, since November of 1997, the Spartans own a 9-3 mark against teams in the AP top ten.

The Buckeyes arrived in East Lansing Friday afternoon and took a tour of Spartan stadium.

While OSU is listed as a two-touchdown favorite, they are quite aware of this Michigan state team trying to salvage its season.

Looking at these two teams head-to-head, you can see that offensively they are putting up similar numbers. The defenses are allowing about the same yardage too, but there's a big difference in points allowed; the Buckeyes expect a team much better than its 3-3 record.

Rewind the Spartans season three weeks ago. Michigan State was 3-0 and had a comfortable 4th quarter lead at home against Notre Dame, but the Spartans went on to lose that game and then they lost the next two.

Playing at home with essentially its season on the line, Michigan State looks to be a very dangerous team.

Ohio State has some understanding to what Michigan State is going through right now. Two years ago, the Buckeyes were 3 and 3 before winning five of their last six games. They remember how desperate they were to try and reverse some bad fortune.

The facts are not kind to Michigan State. The Spartans are 3-3, and 0-2 in the Big Ten. On top of that, MSU has several injuries, keeping guys like Jevon Ringer and Matt Trannon out of Saturday's game.

It's been quite an emotional ride for the Spartans lately. Following the loss to Notre Dame, they were upset by Illinois, which then tried to plant the Illini flag at midfield. Then, in-state rival Michigan was next on the schedule. This team would love to have a high after those lows.

Adding fuel to the Spartans' fire was the feeling that maybe they should have beaten Ohio State last year. Michigan State racked up 456 yards of total offense, and scored 24 points. Despite that success, Sparty was very impressed with the 2005 OSU defense.

There are some pretty impressive numbers for this defense, which is first in the country in Division I scoring, allowing less than 10 points a game.

The Bucks are also tops in interceptions, third in turnover margin, at nearly plus two a game, and the 20 sacks are ninth-best.

max venable
10-14-2006, 09:55 AM
GAC,

Don't worry. Trust me. Was I wrong about Texas? Was I wrong about Iowa.

It'll be a cake walk.

OnBaseMachine
10-14-2006, 09:58 AM
I could potentially win 100 dollars if OSU beats MSU by 15 points or more. And they should with the the way MSU has played the last three weeks.

redsfan30
10-14-2006, 10:05 AM
The only thing that worries me about this game is the fact that MSU's season is ruined, so they very well may come out with the mentality of let's ruin somebody else's season.

Of course, any focus MSU has will be lost by halftime...that's just how they do things up there.

Ohio State should win by 14+.

traderumor
10-14-2006, 12:05 PM
I was encouraged knowing their top RB and WR will not be playing. A lot would have to go wrong and Michigan State would have to play 4 quarters of over their head football to even have a chance to win this game. The weather might make it lower scoring than it otherwise would be though. What the ND game showed me is that, not only is ND one of the most overrated teams in the land, but that MSU can overcome seemingly insurmountable odds to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

OldRightHander
10-14-2006, 05:12 PM
24-0 at the half. Anyone still worried?

max venable
10-14-2006, 05:15 PM
GAC,

It'll be a cake walk.

:KoolAid:

Reds Fanatic
10-14-2006, 05:35 PM
Great play by Smith to make it 31-0. Most QBs get sacked on that play. He gets loose for another TD pass.

max venable
10-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Great play by Smith to make it 31-0. Most QBs get sacked on that play. He gets loose for another TD pass.

It was another play to add to his Heisman highlight reel.

By the way, Adrian Peterson...out for the year. Sure helps Troy's chances.

OldRightHander
10-14-2006, 06:06 PM
By the way, Adrian Peterson...out for the year.

That's pretty sad though. First game his father got to see him play in person in several years and he breaks his collarbone diving into the endzone. I hate to see players go out like that, no matter who they play for.

Reds Fanatic
10-14-2006, 06:11 PM
That's pretty sad though. First game his father got to see him play in person in several years and he breaks his collarbone diving into the endzone. I hate to see players go out like that, no matter who they play for.
Especially hate to see a player end his college career on an injury like that.

traderumor
10-14-2006, 07:18 PM
I'm not sure John L. Smith will get through the season. They need a change. The Big 10 has now gone full circle and has went through a period where the top 5 or 6 teams in the conference were pretty good and could hand the Bucks and tSUN their hat on any given Saturday to the Big 2 again.

max venable
10-14-2006, 07:21 PM
The Big 10 has now gone full circle and has went through a period where the top 5 or 6 teams in the conference were pretty good and could hand the Bucks and tSUN their hat on any given Saturday to the Big 2 again.

That's true this year, for sure. Last year it wasn't.

On another note...how good is the Buckeyes' defense? Scary good if you ask me.

Spring~Fields
10-14-2006, 07:29 PM
GAC,

It'll be a cake walk.

Okay, okay, someone named max is just getting too good here :p:

Any stock tips or lottery numbers, obviously you have something going on the inside :devil:

max venable
10-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Okay, okay, someone named max is just getting too good here :p:

Any stock tips or lottery numbers, obviously you have something going on the inside :devil:

Yeah...here's your hot tip...next week's game: OSU vs. IU...cake walk. Mark it down. :thumbup:

OnBaseMachine
10-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Right now it's Ohio State number one............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................and everybody else number two. They are clearly the best team in college football right now.

smith288
10-14-2006, 08:57 PM
OSU is scary good. Everyone else is metiocre.

Caseyfan21
10-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Especially hate to see a player end his college career on an injury like that.

Peterson is only a junior, he can come back if he wants to. If he comes back and maybe plays in the bowl and does well, I'm sure he'll be out of there. Even if he doesn't play and goes pro, he'll still probably be a first round pick no matter what, a collarbone injury isn't a major deal for a running back.

He'll still get his millions and hopefully his injury will help pave the way for Troy to be the unquestioned front runner. Not that I would ever wish injury upon anyone but some injuries are more convenient than others.

Caseyfan21
10-14-2006, 10:05 PM

I agree...there was an article in a recent ESPN the magazine about him and his father and it was a very good story. Just about how his father still supported him even from prison and he supported his father visiting and talking to him all the time. Peterson definately seems like a good guy and it's unfortunate that the first time his father sees him play live in 12 years had to end like that.

Larkin Fan
10-14-2006, 10:43 PM
24-0 at the half. Anyone still worried?

Never was. This team just isn't going to be stopping anytime soon.

Caseyfan21
10-14-2006, 11:06 PM
Dare I say, let's go Michigan tonight?

If they win, I think they will jump to at least #3, possibly #2. Florida already lost and USC is tied up now. I think Michigan could jump them both up to #2, that makes Nov 18 huge.

traderumor
10-14-2006, 11:07 PM
Michigan vs. OSU for a trip to the NC. It is nearly certain to happen. That will be a fun game, but boy, that game is tense as it is without that on the line. I might need a stress test before watching that one. And talk about the hype machine working overtime during this Michigan week. My goodness, it will be as bad as the Woody vs. Bo days.

Spring~Fields
10-14-2006, 11:55 PM
Anyone see that Michigan defense :eek: tonight against Penn, where did they come from? Are they for real or did they just beat up on a defeated team?

I see it Ohio State 1, Michigan 2, WV 3

GAC
10-15-2006, 05:31 AM

That was a fantastic play. What poise!

But do you know what play really brought me off the couch?

That sack by Pitcock in the 2nd quarter.

This was a Big Ten game folks. And as was already mentioned - MSU had nothing to lose. So in a way, that kinda bothered me. But not too much. ;)

Especially when you look at the injuries MSU has incurred. It also helped that Stanton was playing with bruised ribs. We reminded him of that a few times yesterday.

They were interviewing Steve Helwagen (Bucknuts) prior to the game (the other thread started on the Indiana game). He confirmed that the game will not be broadcast, and that even local stations will not pick it up.

If that is true, then that is total BS. I would like to know the logic behind this. Especially when your team is #1 in the nation. I am hoping that changes this week.

GAC
10-15-2006, 05:35 AM
Michigan vs. OSU for a trip to the NC. It is nearly certain to happen. That will be a fun game, but boy, that game is tense as it is without that on the line. I might need a stress test before watching that one. And talk about the hype machine working overtime during this Michigan week. My goodness, it will be as bad as the Woody vs. Bo days.

Yeah, but we love it!

Woody may have hated the state of Michigan more then anybody, but he couldn't beat them.

Tressel, IMO, does a far better job of keeping his team prepared for not just that game, but every game.

It will be a heck of a game. I may have to saunder over to a Columbus just to watch it at a local establishment and be part of the excitement.

max venable
10-15-2006, 08:58 AM
Yeah, but we love it!

Woody may have hated the state of Michigan more then anybody, but he couldn't beat them.

Huh? Woody was 16-11-1 vs. Michigan.

GAC
10-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Huh? Woody was 16-11-1 vs. Michigan.

You're right overall.

I was thinking more along the lines of when I started following Woody Hayes and Bo took over at Michigan. Woody's record was 4-5-1, and lost to Bo the last 3 years before he left.

I'm just impressed with Tressel's 4-1 record vs Michigan in the 5 years he has been there.

Reds Fanatic
10-15-2006, 02:41 PM
The new AP poll is out and Ohio State is #1 and Michigan is #2. The BCS rankings come out later this afternoon.

Spring~Fields
10-15-2006, 04:39 PM
The new AP poll is out and Ohio State is #1 and Michigan is #2. The BCS rankings come out later this afternoon.

The Michigan - Ohio State finale could end up being more of a National Championship game than the BCS.

Reds Fanatic
10-15-2006, 04:45 PM
The first BCS standings just came out those have Ohio State 1 USC 2 and Michigan 3.

max venable
10-15-2006, 05:26 PM
Wow...the computers' concensus has the Buckeyes #3 behind #1 USC and #2 Michigan. Interesting. Wrong...but interesting.

Also interesting...the computers hate WVU...they have them #14. And they like Rutgers...#9

max venable
10-15-2006, 05:28 PM
I wanna know what Harris poll wiener voted USC #1? Also, two AP voters are still voting WVU #1.

OSU is a unanimous #1 in the Coaches' poll.

traderumor
10-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Anyone see that Michigan defense :eek: tonight against Penn, where did they come from? Are they for real or did they just beat up on a defeated team?

I see it Ohio State 1, Michigan 2, WV 3I think it was a mismatch issue with the PSU Oline, which I believe is really young, and, apparently unable to block at this stage in their college career. Here's the one that is starting to crop up more that just astounds me. O-lineman are double teaming and just totally ignoring a guy that is literally right beside them with a straight line to the QB. Of course, the UM fat boys were in the backfield before the QB most snaps.

traderumor
10-15-2006, 05:39 PM
I wanna know what Harris poll wiener voted USC #1? Also, two AP voters are still voting WVU #1.

OSU is a unanimous #1 in the Coaches' poll.I didn't know Morgantown had two voting newspapers :evil:

GAC
10-15-2006, 07:44 PM
I didn't know Morgantown had two voting newspapers :evil:

He accidentally hit the send button twice :evil:

As far as USC.... are some really surprised at all the love they get? They're worse then Notre Dame. ;)

Spring~Fields
10-15-2006, 08:27 PM
Wow...the computers' concensus has the Buckeyes #3 behind #1 USC and #2 Michigan. Interesting. Wrong...but interesting.

Also interesting...the computers hate WVU...they have them #14. And they like Rutgers...#9

How does that happen?
I read where Ohio State led in two-thirds of the BCS criteria and then ended up third in the last third of the BCS criteria as you have written. USC has played, beaten no one to date and narrowly escaped on other occasions. The articles even state they/USC have not played their toughest part of their schedule yet, (so what could be the factor that the computer uses to put them ahead of Ohio St or Michigan?) if you can call it tough. People have complained long that the BCS poll had glitches, that must be a glaring one.

I think that Notre Dame will knock USC out of it anyway but still.

What if OSU and Michigan win out the rest of the way until the very last seconds of the game in Columbus and one of them loses by one point? Losing to number one or two by one point is nothing bad. So would Ohio St and Michigan have to have a rematch for the BSC? Seems fair to me :devil:

Reds Fanatic
10-15-2006, 08:30 PM
USC will lose to either California or Notre Dame. They may even lose both of those.
The National Championship game will be probably come down to the Ohio State-Michigan winner vs. the West Virginia-Louisville winner.

Spring~Fields
10-15-2006, 08:41 PM
I think it was a mismatch issue with the PSU Oline, which I believe is really young, and, apparently unable to block at this stage in their college career.

I hope that you are right, seems very plausible to me. I just did not recall the Penn line imploding against Ohio St like that as they did against the Michigan defense. Still I was not impressed with Michigans offense.