PDA

View Full Version : Slowest Websites or Ones That Lock Up Your Computer

Dom Heffner
10-14-2006, 01:45 PM
For whatever reason, my computer hates espn.com and the site for the Cincinnati Enquirer.

ESPN has too much going on, and the Enquirer site is just plain awful.

I can surf around all day long, hours on end, until I try to navigate through these two sites.

Terrible.

There is an article rigth now on enquirer,com that i have clicked on three times and my computer just freezes...doesn't matter if I go anywhere else.....

macro
10-14-2006, 03:46 PM
ebay is brutally slow, as are cbssportsline and nascar.com

KronoRed
10-14-2006, 04:18 PM
I'll agree with ESPN, it's freaking overload these days, video..ads...crap crap crap.

Red in Chicago
10-14-2006, 05:28 PM
yeah, i've had trouble with espn as well...i don't even bother with it anymore and i have cable internet

MrCinatit
10-14-2006, 05:58 PM
I won't even click on an ESPN article unless I am totally sure it is something I have not and will not see anywhere else. It is brutal.
Seems like everytime I click on Redszone, my computer "locks up" and I am unable to leave the site for the rest of the day. Wierd. :p:

HumnHilghtFreel
10-14-2006, 06:03 PM
I just went to ESPN.com to see if I had the same trouble and it loaded pretty quickly for me.

cincinnati chili
10-14-2006, 06:04 PM
The tech people at my law school told me that Espn.com puts more spyware on your computer than just about anybody. I don't know if anyone can confirm or refute this.

HumnHilghtFreel
10-14-2006, 06:07 PM
The tech people at my law school told me that Espn.com puts more spyware on your computer than just about anybody. I don't know if anyone can confirm or refute this.

I'll check it out real quick, give me a moment

EDITED: Cleaned my system then went straight to ESPN and a 5 second visit got me 3 new tracking cookies.

Dom Heffner
10-14-2006, 11:06 PM
Espn.com puts more spyware on your computer than just about anybody. I don't know if anyone can confirm or refute this.

I did the same experiment as well.

They suck. I won't even go there anymore.

CBSSportsline is also a terrible site.

Ebay is hit or miss for me, and that is probably due to traffic.

MaineRed
10-14-2006, 11:06 PM
My computer hates ESPN.com as well. Freezes up and has to be shut down half the time.

As soon as I saw the title of this thread I said, hmmmm, wonder if he is talking about ESPN.

BUTLER REDSFAN
10-14-2006, 11:08 PM
espn is slow on mine as well but if you want to avoid major system problems stay off of Kazaa.com. The one or 2 times i have experimented with Kazaa before my system will crash within a few days and i have had to completely reformat my system.

Spring~Fields
10-14-2006, 11:58 PM
For whatever reason, my computer hates espn.com and the site for the Cincinnati Enquirer.

ESPN has too much going on, and the Enquirer site is just plain awful.

The exact same two everytime, and this is a new computer with no clutter.

HumnHilghtFreel
10-15-2006, 12:04 AM
but if you want to avoid major system problems stay off of Kazaa.com. The one or 2 times i have experimented with Kazaa before my system will crash within a few days and i have had to completely reformat my system.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php

About 3/4 down there's a good program called KazaaBeGone that gets rid of all elements of Kazaa.

GAC
10-15-2006, 05:38 AM

So that is where my spyware is coming from. ;)

I get alot of low level/low risk spyware, and I browse ESPN almost every day.

Most sites load pretty quickly on me. I got Charter's 3 mg HS internet. It works pretty darn good.

TeamBoone
10-15-2006, 12:45 PM
I've never had any trouble with ebay and agree that ESPN is hit or miss.

My biggest dilemma is cincinnati.com; sometimes I can go weeks without being able to open it. A couple times I've gone into WCPO's site (the TV station associated with the site) to notify them of my problem with cincinnati.com and within a day or two I'm able to get in. The last time, however, it didn't work. WCPO never writes me back so maybe that didn't get my message the last time.

Redszone is probably the fastest site I frequent.

Reds4Life
10-15-2006, 12:54 PM
ESPN kills mine too, and it's fairly new. When checking scores the auto update feature they use locks up my computer constantly.

paintmered
10-15-2006, 01:02 PM
I've never had any trouble with ebay and agree that ESPN is hit or miss.

My biggest dilemma is cincinnati.com; sometimes I can go weeks without being able to open it. A couple times I've gone into WCPO's site (the TV station associated with the site) to notify them of my problem with cincinnati.com and within a day or two I'm able to get in. The last time, however, it didn't work. WCPO never writes me back so maybe that didn't get my message the last time.

Redszone is probably the fastest site I frequent.

You aren't alone with your cincinnati.com problems. The same thing happens to me too.

deltachi8
10-16-2006, 01:38 AM
I'll agree with ESPN, it's freaking overload these days, video..ads...crap crap crap.

and of course, thats just their website following the tv network's lead

Dom Heffner
10-16-2006, 01:21 PM
To make matters worse for enquirer readers, they are now asking for demographic information when you click on links to their stories.

I'm done with that site. I don't have the time to let it load and then answer questions everytime I want to read an article.

TeamBoone
10-16-2006, 03:38 PM
Dom, you should let them know how you feel. I plan to.

They are a pain though, because when you contact them via the site, they ask if it's urgent and if if you want a response. I figure if it isn't urgent, they probably never read it. Once I asked for a response, but to this day I've never received one.

Apparently, they don't really care what their online readers think or want. I think that's a shame too, because I actually like the site.

SeeinRed
10-16-2006, 06:46 PM
One that is worse than ESPN is Myspace. The problems are on their end though. There are so many probelms with that site its crazy. Then again, I don't know if anyone could deal with the traffic Myspace gets.