PDA

View Full Version : Cubs sign Piniella to 3 yr-deal

maniem
10-16-2006, 02:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2628162

NJReds
10-16-2006, 02:06 PM
I'm a little surprised that he went to Chicago. But that's probably bad news for the Reds, because he'll have more success with that group than Dusty.

savafan
10-16-2006, 02:09 PM
The Cubs will still be the Cubs, and the Wrigley faithful will still be drunk...;)

scuba17
10-16-2006, 02:13 PM
The Cubs will still be the Cubs, and the Wrigley faithful will still be drunk...;)

Enlightening.

And they will still drown out the Reds fans at GABP...

justincredible
10-16-2006, 02:15 PM
So much for Girardi going to Chicago.

TeamSelig
10-16-2006, 02:16 PM
That sucks...

savafan
10-16-2006, 02:20 PM
I think many of us just need to accept that this is Narron's team right now, and move on to other topics of discussion. Just my personal opinion.

macro
10-16-2006, 02:20 PM
It doesn't bother me. Lou's very overrated.

vaticanplum
10-16-2006, 02:24 PM
I think Piniella is EXACTLY what that team needs. My impression with Baker was that he resented the fact that his injured players left him with a young team, and he gave up on his young players. Truly, I heard him all but say this in a press conference once. Piniella won't stand for this. His last job was nothing but young talent, he's used to it, and he won't give them excuses.

It's going to take a little while to build that team up. But Piniella is a good start. Mind you, seeing the Cubs as a good team is about the last thing I want in the entire world, but from an objective perspective, I think this was a very good choice, and I'm happy to see him managing again. He is always entertaining.

Reds4Life
10-16-2006, 02:37 PM
So much for Girardi going to Chicago.

Look for him to land with the Nationals.

Very disappointing, they get Lou, we keep Narron. I'm sure when Narron is fired next year by the all star break we'll once again hire the lowest bidder for the job. The more things change around this organization the more they stay the same. :(

Matt700wlw
10-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Bummer.

Of all the places for Lou to go...

RollyInRaleigh
10-16-2006, 03:07 PM
I bet Lou does well with the Cubs. Good challenge with some money to get some things done.

George Foster
10-16-2006, 03:26 PM
You know what really pisses me off? Before Narron was hired in mid-season 05, Jim Leyland wanted back into baseball and he really wanted to manage in the National League. To think we could of had him in Cincinnati.:bang: Enjoy the picture....

Joseph
10-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Enlightening.

And they will still drown out the Reds fans at GABP...

They are loud, but they don't drown out the Reds fans, just obnoxious.

terminator
10-16-2006, 04:00 PM
If Wood, Prior and Lee are injured again and no one is brought in to replace them, he won't have much success. If those guys are healthy or good replacements are found, they could be good.

Lee will probably be back in good form, but their pitching was worse than the Reds and Wood and Prior are far from a lock to be back in good form next year . . .

terminator
10-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Oh, and for $3MM per year I'd rather have a good player who can take the field than a "name" manager. Put it toward signing Harang long term.

Reds4Life
10-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Oh, and for $3MM per year I'd rather have a good player who can take the field than a "name" manager. Put it toward signing Harang long term.

Paying pennies for the last 4 managers has worked out so well. Heaven forbid we actually hire someone who might command more than $5.15/hour.

terminator
10-16-2006, 05:21 PM
Maybe for the last 5% to get the Reds over the top I could see paying for a great manager, but I think that 95% of a team's performance is in the talent on the field and we have a long way to go before we can justify shelling out $3MM for a new manager.

We only have four players who have accomplished enough to justify their having egos anyway, so it's not like we need to bring in Torre to keep 25 All-Stars happy.

Or put another way, it isn't going to matter whether it's Pinella or Narron if we're sending Joe Mays out there next year. ;)

Krusty
10-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Of course Lou gets the remains of a promising starting pitching staff that was abused by Baker and Rothschild.

Wood most likely will leave as a free agent. Prior remains a question mark and Zambrano's arm took a toll down the stretch.

Without decent starting pitching, it doesn't matter who the manager is.

toledodan
10-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Paying pennies for the last 4 managers has worked out so well. Heaven forbid we actually hire someone who might command more than $5.15/hour.

:bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

Unassisted
10-16-2006, 06:58 PM
It doesn't bother me. Lou's very overrated.

That's my take, too. We should finally see whether Emperor Lou really has any clothes.

Highlifeman21
10-16-2006, 07:02 PM
So does this mean we can campaign for Frank Robinson to replace Jerry Narron now?

steig
10-16-2006, 07:44 PM
In my opinion Lou could have been on the level of Sparky if he had returned to Cincinnati and won a championship with the Reds again. However, I believe the fact that the Reds did not get him is simply emphasizing the Minnesotazation of the Reds. Just as the article and other posts talk about the types of players and game Krivsky wants, he also will want a manager to fit the same mold. If the Reds choose to change managers they might for Macha or groom a manager who thinks similarly. I view Lou as a good baseball guy but I question how much he chooses to use statistics and how he does with a Money Ball type of atmosphere. The Reds not getting Lou could also show how much power Krivskey is allowed.

savafan
10-17-2006, 02:34 AM
I'm telling ya all, you don't have to worry. God hates the Cubs. ;)

Jpup
10-17-2006, 05:43 AM
In my opinion Lou could have been on the level of Sparky if he had returned to Cincinnati and won a championship with the Reds again. However, I believe the fact that the Reds did not get him is simply emphasizing the Minnesotazation of the Reds. Just as the article and other posts talk about the types of players and game Krivsky wants, he also will want a manager to fit the same mold. If the Reds choose to change managers they might for Macha or groom a manager who thinks similarly. I view Lou as a good baseball guy but I question how much he chooses to use statistics and how he does with a Money Ball type of atmosphere. The Reds not getting Lou could also show how much power Krivskey is allowed.

Are the Reds trying to become the Twins or use stats? Which is it? Ken Macha has very little control over anything that happenned in Oakland(see Art Howe).

sig
10-17-2006, 08:35 AM
I wouldn't mind the Reds becoming the Twins right now. Can you say Tom Kelly when Narron is ushered the door next season.

Is Lou already tampering with Arod? He is talking about pursuing Arod heavily. The Cubs may lose out to the White sox again in the Arod derby.

Jim
10-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Is Lou already tampering with Arod? He is talking about pursuing Arod heavily. The Cubs may lose out to the White sox again in the Arod derby.

I seriously doubt that the Cubs would land ARod. The Yanks want pitching and the Cubs have only one arm that is proven AND not broken. Although I'm sure that the Cubs would love to burn Prior and Wood for ARod.

Jim
10-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Although, you gotta admit that ARod would look damn good at SS for the Reds.

HumnHilghtFreel
10-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Look for him to land with the Nationals.

I actually heard on the radio that instead of going to a team like the Nats he was considering sitting out a year and waiting for an opportunity the next year. It's all hear-say though

Matt700wlw
10-17-2006, 03:15 PM
If the Cubs get A-Rod because of Lou.....this will be a classic case of missed opportunity....

maniem
10-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Aramis Ramirez along with a starting pitcher was mentioned as likely targets for the Yanks if they were to trade A-Rod. To me, I don't see where the Cubs would gain anything by trading Ramirez and a SP to grab A-Rod, except for star power. Ramirez had very similar numbers this year and is also a few years younger. If the SP offered is either Hill or Marshall, if i'm the Yanks, i jump on that trade.

SultanOfSwing
10-17-2006, 03:44 PM
Aramis Ramirez along with a starting pitcher was mentioned as likely targets for the Yanks if they were to trade A-Rod. To me, I don't see where the Cubs would gain anything by trading Ramirez and a SP to grab A-Rod, except for star power. Ramirez had very similar numbers this year and is also a few years younger. If the SP offered is either Hill or Marshall, if i'm the Yanks, i jump on that trade.
I think it would be more like ARam and Zambrano for ARod.

TeamSelig
10-17-2006, 04:19 PM
I don't think the Cubs would trade Zambrano & Ramirez for A-Rod... I don't think the Cubs would trade Zambrano alone for A-Rod

vaticanplum
10-17-2006, 04:26 PM
A-Rod has a no-trade clause; he has to approve any trade. Why in God's name would he agree to go to the worst team in the National League?

Matt700wlw
10-17-2006, 04:40 PM
A-Rod has a no-trade clause; he has to approve any trade. Why in God's name would he agree to go to the worst team in the National League?

Because of Lou...whom while in Seattle, he had somewhat of a father/son relationship with. Also, the media and fans booing in New York has clearly bothered him.

I don't know if he will...but if the deal got done, it wouldn't surprise me, as much as I wouldn't like it.

vaticanplum
10-17-2006, 05:48 PM
Because of Lou...whom while in Seattle, he had somewhat of a father/son relationship with. Also, the media and fans booing in New York has clearly bothered him.

I don't know if he will...but if the deal got done, it wouldn't surprise me, as much as I wouldn't like it.

He is not going anywhere. He cannot admit failure to that extent by leaving New York right now, whether or not it would be better for him personally. It would make the ribbing and jeering and booing anywhere, and he would not admit failure to himself.

If I'm proven wrong, I'll eat my words. But I really think any talk of him leaving is ludicrous -- and going to such a bad team, regardless of who is managing, even more so.

Natty Redlocks
10-17-2006, 07:49 PM
So my question is: what kind of relationship did Griffey have with Piniella? And just how desperate for "star power" are the Cubs?

Matt700wlw
10-17-2006, 08:14 PM
According to Thom Brennaman (interview), when the Torre stuff was going down, Lou told him he didn't even want the Yankees job if it did become available.

Wow.

cincinnati chili
10-17-2006, 09:17 PM
He is not going anywhere. He cannot admit failure to that extent by leaving New York right now, whether or not it would be better for him personally. It would make the ribbing and jeering and booing anywhere, and he would not admit failure to himself.

If I'm proven wrong, I'll eat my words. But I really think any talk of him leaving is ludicrous -- and going to such a bad team, regardless of who is managing, even more so.

I suspect you're 100% correct about this.