Ga_Red
10-16-2006, 07:18 PM
2/09/07

kaldaniels
10-16-2006, 07:24 PM
Seacrest out.

RedsManRick
10-16-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm still wondering why Beane hasn't hired Davey Johnson. They seem like a perfect match.

Wheelhouse
10-16-2006, 08:49 PM
How can one argue with Macha's results? They've consistently lost major parts every year he's managed, and consistently won in spite of it. Boggles the mind.

redsfan4445
10-16-2006, 08:56 PM
How can one argue with Macha's results? They've consistently lost major parts every year he's managed, and consistently won in spite of it. Boggles the mind.

HMMM if ONLY we could get a manager that knew how to win..:(

Hubba
10-16-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm still wondering why Beane hasn't hired Davey Johnson. They seem like a perfect match. For some reason I thought that Beane was gay?(not gay bashing here)

redsandrails
10-16-2006, 09:06 PM
You are partly correct.. Billy Beane is gay, however, there are two Billy Beanes. The A's GM is straight... The gay Billy Beane is a former utility infielder IIRC.

Falls City Beer
10-16-2006, 09:07 PM
For some reason I thought that Beane was gay?(not gay bashing here)

How is this pertinent? It's a serious question.

And Billy Bean is gay, not Billy Beane.

GAC
10-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Maybe Billy Beane should take the manager job. That way he wouldn't feel that "disconnect". ;)

GullyFoyle
10-16-2006, 10:32 PM
There are reports that multiple players said they would not stay with the A's if Macha stayed on...

Among other notes he supposedly showed a lack of concern for player injuries...

Take it for what you will.

Chip R
10-17-2006, 12:32 PM
I wonder who will be his replacement? I can't believe Beane would hire any of the fired guys. Perhaps he'll stay in house and go with Ron Washington.

TheBigLebowski
10-17-2006, 12:53 PM
This one surprised me as well. Maybe they'll be the ones to snatch up Joe Girardi.

Chip R
10-17-2006, 01:32 PM
This one surprised me as well. Maybe they'll be the ones to snatch up Joe Girardi.

I dunno. Beane seems to want his manager to be, for lack of a better word, a puppet. If Girardi didn't kowtow to Beinfest and Loria, I don't see him being the manager of the A's. But stranger things have happened.

M2
10-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Macha is the word Ringo Starr and company use for dinosaur in the classic film Caveman.

westofyou
10-17-2006, 02:00 PM

The chances of that happening is........................remote.

flyer85
10-17-2006, 02:20 PM
For some reason I thought that Beane was gay?(not gay bashing here)thats the other one

Jpup
10-23-2006, 01:00 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2634647

Ken Macha threw a couple of brush-back pitches at the Oakland A's on Saturday in his first comments since he was fired on Monday.

"The reason I was fired," he told the San Francisco Chronicle, "[was] there was too much interference."

According to a report in the paper, Macha said that general manager Billy Beane made on-field suggestions that made the manager uncomfortable. Specifically, he said the GM wanted Bobby Kielty to start against left-handed pitchers, but Macha started lefty Mark Kotsay in the playoffs against Minnesota's Johan Santana and Detroit's Nate Robertson and Kenny Rogers.

Kotsay made critical comments about Macha after the manager was fired.

"Billy wanted Kielty in the postseason, and I play Kotsay, and then Kotsay comes out and says bad things about me while I basically got fired because I played him," Macha told the Chronicle. "It's kind of sad."

Macha added: "That's one instance, but it happened a lot."

After the firing, a number of A's said they had difficulty communicating with their manager, and Beane said there was a "disconnect on several levels."

"I'm on the field every day," Macha told the paper. "I'm on the airplane with them, in my office with the door open. If anyone wants to talk to me about something, I'll give them an answer. Maybe people didn't want to hear the answers I was going to give them, and maybe that's why they didn't want to come in. But I was available."

The Chronicle contacted Kotsay on Saturday, but he refused to comment. Beane said Macha's recollection of events was a "total fabrication."

"The A's have moved on," Beane told the Chronicle. "Unfortunately, Ken's memories of some things and the A's memories of some things are a little different, and the most important thing is that we've gone our way and he's gone his way."

oneupper
10-23-2006, 03:33 PM
Macha is the word Ringo Starr and company use for dinosaur in the classic film Caveman.

Zug Zug is better than Macha anytime.

M2
10-23-2006, 04:15 PM
Zug Zug is better than Macha anytime.

Billy Beane no zug zug Macha.

GAC
10-23-2006, 04:20 PM
I dunno. Beane seems to want his manager to be, for lack of a better word, a puppet.

[insert new manager here]

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/laptop-whole-intro.jpg

Redsland
10-23-2006, 04:32 PM
I dunno. Beane seems to want his manager to be, for lack of a better word, a puppet.
http://muppet.wikia.com/images/9/90/CountCountsLP(2).jpg

One! One college-aged batting-average-nondependent on-base machine! [lightning]

Two! Two college-aged batting-average-nondependent on-base machines! [lightning]

NJReds
10-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Interesting group of candidates.

Line is forming for job with A's
Hershiser, Quirk among five managerial hopefuls
By Josh Suchon, STAFF WRITER

OAKLAND — The A's never got around to interviewing ESPN analyst Orel Hershiser and Colorado bench coach Jamie Quirk last year for their manager vacancy because they rehired Ken Macha.
This year is different.

Hershiser and Quirk, A's coaches Ron Washington and Bob Geren, plus Angels pitching coach Bud Black, will be interviewed by the A's in the next two to three weeks.

The only difference from last year's list is Black instead of former manager Larry Bowa. It's unclear if the A's will add additional candidates, but general manager Billy Beane didn't rule it out earlier this week.

The past two A's managers didn't always have the best working relationship with Beane. That history doesn't concern Hershiser, who will interview the week of Nov. 6-10 in Arizona.

"These jobs are always built around relationships," Hershiser said by telephone Wednesday. "It would be fresh and new between Billy and the organization and me. There's nothing to patch up. The potential for a great relationship exists."

Hershiser, who was drafted in 1979 and made his major league debut in 1983 with the Dodgers, added that manager-GM conflicts are common.

"I've been in the game a long time, and there's very few, if any, relationships between GMs and managers that don't have an edge to them," Hershiser said. "You have very competitive people who have risen to the top of their profession and have opinions that might differ. That usually makes things better.

"You want to be able to say we can debate this, fight like brothers inside, then lock arms outside like a solidified army. That doesn't bother me at all. That almost makes me excited."

Hershiser, 48, was 204-149 with 2,014 strikeouts and a 3.48 ERA in an 18-year playing career. He's most remembered for setting the major league record with 59 consecutive scoreless innings in 1988, winning the Cy Young, and beating the A's twice in the World Series en route to Most Valuable Player honors.

His playing career ended in 2000, and he did some analyst work for ESPN and ABC that year and 2001. He joined the Rangers front office in November 2001 as an associate to former GM John Hart. Despite no prior coaching experience, he was named Rangers pitching coach in June 2002.

After the 2005 season, Hershiser moved back to the Rangers' front office. He did a phone interview for the Dodgers' manager opening with then-GM Paul DePodesta, Beane's former assistant, then rejoined ESPN as an analyst in February.

"Seeing the game from so many angles other than the (manager's) chair helps a tremendous amount," Hershiser said in response to a question about never managing at any level. "Some people have been very successful that hadn't managed before, and some haven't. It comes down to finding the best guy. Each guy will have his assets and risks."

Hershiser doesn't have the long history that Washington (teammates in Minnesota), or Geren and Black (grew up in San Diego) have with Beane.

A year ago, Hershiser had two preliminary phone interviews with Beane — after Macha was let go the first time — and Hershiser said he was told, after Macha was rehired, the A's would keep him in mind in the future.

"I'm very interested in sharing more discussions, and sitting down face to face," Hershiser said. "It will be fun to go through. ...

"It's just an outstanding organization. They've accomplished so much with so little. Now the budget has gone up a little. It's a great young talented team. It looks like it has a bright future."

Cooper
10-28-2006, 01:08 PM
It's clear what the boudaries are with Beane...he manages overall strategy while the on field manager manages personalities (the club house). Macha wanted to manage the on field strategy and he lost the club house. My guess is Beane was pretty clear about the parameters of the job, but Macha overtime felt he should make more on field decisions -and maybe Beane would have let him do that if he took care of his main resposibilities (the clubhouse).

It's kind of silly for a management type to ask for more responsibility when they can't handle what they got (managing the clubhouse).

As for the media -well, Macha's job responsibilites were different from average manager -and in the media's eyes, if something is different it must be bad....so Macha became the victim.