PDA

View Full Version : Rarest baseball plays that have happened?

GOREDSGO32
10-17-2006, 03:55 AM
I'm talking rarest of the rare, some things I've never seen of or heard happen. Some things I've NEVER seen happen:

- A runner ever actually PASS another runner. They always talk about this could happen if runners aren't alert on a long ball that could be caught, but I've never seen it happen.

- 5 strikeouts in one inning, which would take striking the regular 3 batters out, but having 2 passed balls on a strikeout that allows the batter to reach first.

- The infamous movie cliched meeting at the mound where the pitcher sneaks the first baseman the ball, while the pitcher pretends to have it. Then the 1B tags out the runner at first when he leads off.

- Unorthodox fielding positions. I don't know if this is technically legal, but pulling in an outfielder to the infield, or putting 4 guys in the outfield. This stuff seemed to be done sometimes back in little league, I don't think I've ever seen it done in the major leagues though, but then again it may be illegal.

- A runner returning to a previous base, for WHATEVER reason. As in, a guy goes to second on a play, but then for whatever reason returns to first unintentionally (I don't know if someone would INTENTIONALLY)

- A bunted double, not an error to 2B, an actual bunt that is scored as a double or more. That has to be impossible.

Here is a list of rare events:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rare_baseball_events

redsmetz
10-17-2006, 05:47 AM
I'm talking rarest of the rare, some things I've never seen of or heard happen. Some things I've NEVER seen happen:

- A runner ever actually PASS another runner. They always talk about this could happen if runners aren't alert on a long ball that could be caught, but I've never seen it happen.

- 5 strikeouts in one inning, which would take striking the regular 3 batters out, but having 2 passed balls on a strikeout that allows the batter to reach first.

- The infamous movie cliched meeting at the mound where the pitcher sneaks the first baseman the ball, while the pitcher pretends to have it. Then the 1B tags out the runner at first when he leads off.

- Unorthodox fielding positions. I don't know if this is technically legal, but pulling in an outfielder to the infield, or putting 4 guys in the outfield. This stuff seemed to be done sometimes back in little league, I don't think I've ever seen it done in the major leagues though, but then again it may be illegal.

- A runner returning to a previous base, for WHATEVER reason. As in, a guy goes to second on a play, but then for whatever reason returns to first unintentionally (I don't know if someone would INTENTIONALLY)

- A bunted double, not an error to 2B, an actual bunt that is scored as a double or more. That has to be impossible.

I actually saw the runner passing the baserunner in Baltimore this season, O's vs. the Angels. I can't remember who, but runner on first, batter hits a ball deep. The outfielder jumps to attempt a catch but it just goes over the wall. Thinking the ball had been caught, the baserunner starts to retreat to first when suddenly the hitter passes, being called out. The baserunner, of course, scored on the home run play.

I was all set to say I thought there had been five strikeouts in one inning, but apparently not. See http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/feats19.shtml for a list of all the pitchers who've done this. The writer somehow lays the blame on the pitcher (and it would be true on a wild pitch), but often, I think the catcher is at fault.

OnBaseMachine
10-17-2006, 06:44 AM
I believe Furcal had a bunt triple against the Reds a few years ago. (Ball was bunted so hard it went over the 3B's head and rolled nearly to the outfield wall.)

Chip R
10-17-2006, 07:56 AM
There have been times where a team has pulled an outfielder in and made him a 5th infielder. It happens more often than you think. But it is still rare to see.

MrCinatit
10-17-2006, 08:05 AM
I saw Carlton Fisk's very unusual double play against the Yankees, where he tagged out two consecutive baserunners.
I always thought John Paciorek's (http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/paciojo01.shtml) cup of coffee is one of the more amazing stats of the game. From my understanding, he suffered a rather sever injury the next spring, which ended his career.
But, oh, what a game.
I seem to remember seeing the hidden ball trick played once a long time ago - for some reason, I am thinking Leon Durham was involved, but it could be my memory playing tricks on me.

RedFanAlways1966
10-17-2006, 08:07 AM

Reminds me a play that happened when I was in High School... I was at shortstop and a guy (their shortstop who I was acquainted with) was on 1st base. He took off on a steal attempt... the catcher could not dig out a pitch that was in the dirt and the ball went to the backstop. I was trying to be nice and keep the guy from sliding and possibly getting hurt, so I told him to hold up and put my hands up to let him know to ease up. He thought I meant it was a foulball... stopped about 5 feet from 2nd base, turned around and started walking back to 1st base. Our catcher saw this happening after he ran to the backstop and picked up the ball. He threw it to our 1st-baseman and the runner was tagged out as he was still walking back to 1st base. He more or less walked right into the tag!

The next inning I has to leadoff and hit a double which of course put me by him b/c he was their shortstop! He kind of laugehd about it and told me that I sure pulled a quick one over on him. I immediately told him that my intentions were good and not at all devious. He said, "Why didn't you stop me from going back then?" I told him that I was so confused at why was turning around that I wasn't sure what he was thinking until the play was over and he was heading to his dugout in shame. We both laughed about it and there were no hard feelings.

BuckWoody
10-17-2006, 08:33 AM
I saw Carlton Fisk's very unusual double play against the Yankees, where he tagged out two consecutive baserunners.
That just happened in the post season this year. Paul Lo Duca tagged out Jeff Kent and J.D. Drew in succession at the plate in game one of the Mets Dodgers series.

camisadelgolf
10-17-2006, 08:43 AM
The infamous movie cliched meeting at the mound where the pitcher sneaks the first baseman the ball, while the pitcher pretends to have it. Then the 1B tags out the runner at first when he leads off.

Mike Lowell did this on third base last year. I've seen it done several other times.

Danny Serafini
10-17-2006, 09:53 AM
I've seen 5 guys in the infield before, though I don't remember the teams or game. The 2B played directly behind the bag, and essentially another SS was put in between 2B and 1B.

I believe Rolando Roomes had a bunt double once for the Reds.

SultanOfSwing
10-17-2006, 10:03 AM
I have heard about a guy who scored from 2nd on a sac fly a few years ago. I can't seem to remember his name though. Does anyone recall it?

That seems pretty impossible. He was rightly regarded as the fastest man in baseball.

Red Leader
10-17-2006, 10:07 AM
Anytime David Ortiz comes to the plate vs the Devil Rays, they play their 2B in short RCF. Technically, I'd consider him an OF. He's all the way on the outfield grass.

BCubb2003
10-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Eric Davis created a play on the run where the centerfielder covered second base.

How about the legendary quadruple play?

IamWallaman
10-17-2006, 10:19 AM

I think something similar to that happened at 3rd base last year.

I wish I could remember details... stupid memory... :bang:

TOBTTReds
10-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Anytime David Ortiz comes to the plate vs the Devil Rays, they play their 2B in short RCF. Technically, I'd consider him an OF. He's all the way on the outfield grass.

I saw someone literally put 4 OF'ers out there when Ortiz came up once, late in the game. Their 3B went to left center. It looked like softball OF's.

blumj
10-17-2006, 10:52 AM
Actually, they sometimes move their 3rd baseman all the way into LF, too, while still playing the 2nd baseman way back in RF compared to most teams, probably too far back to actually throw him out, so it is like playing 5 outfielders. Maddon is very creative with his shifts, it's actually entertaining, but he's just asking for that bunt double one of these days, too.

And while we're on the Rays, it was Carl Crawford who scored from 2nd on a sac fly to CF, but it was off Johnny Damon playing with an injured shoulder. He can't throw anyway, but, at the time, he literally couldn't.

And I've seen the 5 infielders, too. That '04 Red Sox-Yankees extra innings game, where Jeter made that catch and dove into the stands while Nomar sat there sulking? There was a point in that game where the Red Sox kept moving Dave McCarty from the OF to the IF and back, and it seemed like it kept taking forever to get him the right glove.

Roy Tucker
10-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Unassisted triple plays don't happen very often. 12 times in MLB history.

http://tripleplays.sabr.org/tp_utp.htm

Red Leader
10-17-2006, 11:10 AM
A-Rod almost hit for what I called "the HR cycle" either this year or last (can't remember). He hit a 2-R HR, a 3-R HR, and a Grand Slam. he was only missing the solo shot to complete the "HR cycle." I don't think that's ever been accomplished.

timmario66
10-17-2006, 11:11 AM

IIRC Mariano Duncan was known for a few bunt doubles when he was still switch hitting early in his career batting lefty. Normally it was when the 3B would wait to see if the ball would go foul.

Chip R
10-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Eric Davis created a play on the run where the centerfielder covered second base.

I remember listening to that game on the radio. If Dave Parker wasn't asleep at the switch at 1st, the Giants wouldn't have won the game then.

I think Tris Speaker used to do something similar to what Davis tried to do. He was known to play a very shallow CF.

SultanOfSwing
10-17-2006, 11:18 AM
And while we're on the Rays, it was Carl Crawford who scored from 2nd on a sac fly to CF, but it was off Johnny Damon playing with an injured shoulder. He can't throw anyway, but, at the time, he literally couldn't.
Crawford wasn't the guy I was thinking of. This was a legimate play. And it was several years ago, not recently (mid-90s?). Also, I wouldn't consider Crawford the fastest guy in baseball. He is fast, but not THAT fast.

IowaRed
10-17-2006, 11:55 AM
How about Fernando Tatis hitting 2 GS's in one inning in 1999 or Bill Mueller hitting 2 GS's in the same game from opposite sides of the plate?

vaticanplum
10-17-2006, 01:02 PM

Isn't this what Hatteberg does in the great story in Moneyball? His first ML at-bat, he was brought up for the Red Sox and used late in the game as a pinch hitter, I think. The Red Sox were getting killed but it didn't matter anyway because they were in contention for the playoffs and the Yankees were already out of it. Hatteberg hit a clean double, headed toward second, then realized he was missing the chance to hang with his childhood idol, Don Mattingly, so he turned around and trotted back to first. Mattingly (who was pretty stunned, and razzed Hatteberg as he stood there) retired a few weeks later.

I hope I'm remembering this correctly because it's one of my favorite baseball stories ever.

texasdave
10-17-2006, 01:08 PM
I did not witness this event in person, but it is considered gospel down here in the deep south. It was Opening Day and the bases were loaded when a strapping young lad by the name of Jim Coombs grabbed some lumber and headed for the plate. It was his first major league at-bat. The first pitch was a fastball, high and hard, that just barely avoided grazing Jim's chin. Young Mr. Coombs dusted himself off and dug in his spikes. Oldtimers still close their eyes and shudder when asked to describe the violent hiss and the tremendous crack of lumber meeting horsehide that occurred on the next pitch. As the orb flew up and over the stadium wall our lad was overcome with excitement at having delivered a grand slam on his first swing. Unfortunately, he flew around the bases so swiftly that he stunned the entire ballpark by passing all three teammates enroute to home plate. Yes, Jim Coombs had done the undoable - he had homered into baseball's one and only truly 'unassisted" triple play.

Red Leader
10-17-2006, 01:10 PM
I did not witness this event in person, but it is considered gospel down here in the deep south. It was Opening Day and the bases were loaded when a strapping young lad by the name of Jim Coombs grabbed some lumber and headed for the plate. It was his first major league at-bat. The first pitch was a fastball, high and hard, that just barely avoided grazing Jim's chin. Young Mr. Coombs dusted himself off and dug in his spikes. Oldtimers still close their eyes and shudder when asked to describe the violent hiss and the tremendous crack of lumber meeting horsehide that occurred on the next pitch. As the orb flew up and over the stadium wall our lad was overcome with excitement at having delivered a grand slam on his first swing. Unfortunately, he flew around the bases so swiftly that he stunned the entire ballpark by passing all three teammates enroute to home plate. Yes, Jim Coombs had done the undoable - he had homered into baseball's one and only truly 'unassisted" triple play.

Doubt it. I'd bet he'd trip over his ego on the way to 1st base. :mooner:

klw
10-17-2006, 01:48 PM
Outfielder runs through fence.
Ball bouncs off steriod enhance head for home run.
Walk-off world series clinching homers.
Fall ball hitting batters's wife.
Errant throws hitting Keith Oberman's mom.
And my alltime favorite, Batter breaks bat on own back on swing.

Roy Tucker
10-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Can't happen. Coombs is out after passing the first runner rendering any other baserunning follies moot. The back runner is always called out.

However, the runner on 3rd could run the bases backwards (being sure to touch them in reverse order) and pass the runners at 2nd and 1st and then Coombs to complete a triple play. However, I wouldn't give any assists on the play.

(sorry)

SultanOfSwing
10-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Can't happen. Coombs is out after passing the first runner rendering any other baserunning follies moot. The back runner is always called out.

However, the runner on 3rd could run the bases backwards (being sure to touch them in reverse order) and pass the runners at 2nd and 1st and then Coombs to complete a triple play. However, I wouldn't give any assists on the play.

(sorry)
I remember reading a book on the old Negro leagues. It had all kinds of stories about the crazy things they would do. The funniest were the ones the would pull on the white pro teams they played. Things like catching the ball in their back pocket, etc. It didn't always work, but when it did boy was it sweet.

Anyway, they said one player was especially fast and when he hit the ball he would run the bases backwards and still end up at first. That would be pretty funny to see. :laugh:

I wish I could remember the name of the players or the book, but it was better than 10 years ago.

dabvu2498
10-17-2006, 02:14 PM
I enjoy it when Major League teams bat out of order.

texasdave
10-17-2006, 02:48 PM

(sorry)

Rules, shmules! You are gonna break a lot of hearts in Dixieland if this post ever gets out. :p:

texasdave
10-17-2006, 04:08 PM
While perusing a list of all the known successful hidden ball tricks in ML history (retrosheet), it was interesting to note that the last time a Reds' player fell for it was Vada Pinson in 1959. Poor Vada, it was his birthday! Happy birthday, you're out. :birthday: Another interesting tidbit was that White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen fell for it three times in his career. Twice in one year. :doh:

TeamSelig
10-17-2006, 04:14 PM
I believe Furcal had a bunt triple against the Reds a few years ago. (Ball was bunted so hard it went over the 3B's head and rolled nearly to the outfield wall.)

pretty sure I was at that game... I think that started the game off too, but i'm not positive on that

Chip R
10-17-2006, 04:17 PM
I enjoy it when Major League teams bat out of order.

Dusty pulled that one in 2005 in a game against the Reds. He messed up a double switch and Narron - who was bench coach at the time - figured it out and called him on it.

Hap
10-17-2006, 05:25 PM
This has never happened, but it is theoretically possible for a defense to turn a triple play without touching the ball.

Runners on first and second running on the pitch and the batter hits an infield fly, making the first out. The runners lose track of the ball and/or are decoyed, and keep running. The runner from second hears and or sees the third base coach, telling the runners to go back and tag. The runner from first does not pick up the coach and keeps running, making the second out as he passes the runner trying to get back to second base. The batted and as of yet untouched ball then comes down and strikes the runner trying to get back to second base, making him out number three.

klw
10-17-2006, 05:56 PM
This has never happened, but it is theoretically possible for a defense to turn a triple play without touching the ball.

Runners on first and second running on the pitch and the batter hits an infield fly, making the first out. The runners lose track of the ball and/or are decoyed, and keep running. The runner from second hears and or sees the third base coach, telling the runners to go back and tag. The runner from first does not pick up the coach and keeps running, making the second out as he passes the runner trying to get back to second base. The batted and as of yet untouched ball then comes down and strikes the runner trying to get back to second base, making him out number three.

How much time did you spend thinking this up?:eek:

OnBaseMachine
10-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Royce Clayton hitting a homerun.

Joe Mays pitching good.

dman
10-17-2006, 08:44 PM
There have been times where a team has pulled an outfielder in and made him a 5th infielder. It happens more often than you think. But it is still rare to see.

Didn't this happen in the 2001 World Series game 7 when Luis Gonzalez hit a short blooper into the outfield to win it for the D-Backs?

Johnny Footstool
10-17-2006, 08:54 PM
Is everyone forgetting about Sean Casey's history-making groundout to the left fielder this season?

Yep, the Mayor got gunned down at 1B by the *left fielder*. Talk about rare.

Hap
10-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Russell Branyan doubled into a double play on 7/31/03.

CINCINNATI 3RD: A Dunn flied out to deep left center. J LaRue hit by pitch. R Branyan doubled to right center, J LaRue to third, J LaRue out at home in rundown on runner's fielder's choice. R Branyan out at second trying to return to base. (0 Runs, 1 Hit, 0 Errors) COLORADO 4, CINCINNATI 4,

He hit a shot off the middle of the wall on the fly. Larue was not hustling, and ran through a stop sign at third and then got caught in a rundown. After Larue was tagged out, Branyan, thinking the play was over, was tagged out as he was standing off the base dusting himself.

That play provided us classic Nuxhall sound byte, "Boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, etc......"

Shaknb8k
10-17-2006, 09:00 PM
Ok here is one which should have happend this year but it was not ruled an error because of this....
An outfielder runs back to field a fly ball....he squares-up under it and he clearly should make the catch, but bounces out of his glove and over the fence for a "homerun". There is no way a hit should be awarded because it was clearly an error. All the runners would score a run including the batter but on the official scorecard and in the record books that could not go down as a homerun statistically because an error was made that should have resulted in the batter being out.

And for those who wondered who could make a play like this in the outfield. None other than Wily Mo Pena in Boston. Pena was not issued an error so the hitter was awarded the homerun but he definatly would have got an error if the ball didnt go over the fence so in my book that qualifies as an error and a homerun couldnt be issued to the batter in the scorebook.

by the way I have sent many emails to umpire associations and my official scorers laying out the situation and none have been returned.

GOREDSGO32
10-18-2006, 11:04 PM
Another one I thought of: has a MLB pitcher EVER pitched underhanded?

George Foster
10-19-2006, 12:10 AM
I mentioned this during a game thread this season. During my last year of Pony League (13-15 years old) I recorded 2 wins without throwing a pitch.
With 2 out in the top of the 7th (last inning) I picked off the first base runner in a tie game for the 3rd out, we won both games at our last at bat.:eek: I was a one tool player!

blumj
10-19-2006, 12:15 AM
Ok here is one which should have happend this year but it was not ruled an error because of this....
An outfielder runs back to field a fly ball....he squares-up under it and he clearly should make the catch, but bounces out of his glove and over the fence for a "homerun". There is no way a hit should be awarded because it was clearly an error. All the runners would score a run including the batter but on the official scorecard and in the record books that could not go down as a homerun statistically because an error was made that should have resulted in the batter being out.

And for those who wondered who could make a play like this in the outfield. None other than Wily Mo Pena in Boston. Pena was not issued an error so the hitter was awarded the homerun but he definatly would have got an error if the ball didnt go over the fence so in my book that qualifies as an error and a homerun couldnt be issued to the batter in the scorebook.

by the way I have sent many emails to umpire associations and my official scorers laying out the situation and none have been returned.
Alex Rios did it, too, also in RF at Fenway, giving Alex Cora his only HR of the year. They always score it a HR when that happens, I don't know why.

He's Dunn It
10-19-2006, 12:39 AM

Sure, Chad Bradford of the Mets...

If that doesn't count, perhaps a Luis Tiant pitch from the '75 series?

vaticanplum
10-19-2006, 12:44 AM

Submariner pitchers all pitch underhanded, or at least mostly. Bradford is a recent example; mike Myers of the Yankees is the same way, as is the infamous Byun-Hung Kim (and I'm sure I just butchered that name).

I *think* that the first underhanded pitcher I saw as a kid was Dan Quisenbery. It really threw me at the time.

blumj
10-19-2006, 01:29 AM
Submariner pitchers all pitch underhanded, or at least mostly. Bradford is a recent example; mike Myers of the Yankees is the same way, as is the infamous Byun-Hung Kim (and I'm sure I just butchered that name).

I *think* that the first underhanded pitcher I saw as a kid was Dan Quisenbery. It really threw me at the time.

One time when Bradford and Myers were both on the Red Sox, NESN showed them pitching simultaneously in slow motion on a split screen, it was almost a mirror image. Very cool.

oneupper
10-19-2006, 06:25 AM
I saw someone literally put 4 OF'ers out there when Ortiz came up once, late in the game. Their 3B went to left center. It looked like softball OF's.

I believe the Mets pulled this against Frank Robinson in the 1969 World Series, IIRC.
Don't remember who moved out to the OF, but I think it was the 2B (Davey Johnson).

Roy Tucker
10-19-2006, 09:05 AM

Didn't Conseco have one bounce off his head and over the fence for a HR?

MLB rules are pretty clear on this...

(h) Any fair fly ball is deflected by the fielder into the stands, or over the fence into foul territory, in which case the batter shall be entitled to advance to second base; but if deflected into the stands or over the fence in fair territory, the batter shall be entitled to a home run. However, should such a fair fly be deflected at a point less than 250 feet from home plate, the batter shall be entitled to two bases only.

Red Leader
10-19-2006, 09:15 AM
You'd have to have a pretty hard head to put the ball over the fence from 250 ft or less. You're talking 50-100 ft of bounce off of the noggin. I'm not even sure Canseco could pull that one off.

Danny Serafini
10-19-2006, 09:30 AM

Everyone did in the early, early, early years. Overhand pitches weren't allowed until 1884.

Roy Tucker
10-19-2006, 09:36 AM
I think 250 ft. rule was for some of the older parks that had skewed dimensions.

The Polo Grounds and the LA Colisseum had some pretty short porches IIRC. Maybe the Pesky Pole?

redsupport
10-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Dick Hyde pitched underhanded

blumj
10-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Maybe the Pesky Pole?302 ft., at least that's what they say. It seems like less sometimes.

gm
10-19-2006, 06:58 PM
I believe the Mets pulled this against Frank Robinson in the 1969 World Series, IIRC.
Don't remember who moved out to the OF, but I think it was the 2B (Davey Johnson).

Johnson played for the Orioles, might've been Boswell or Weis?

I read once that a young Ed Kranepool ran from home to 3rd base, after hitting the ball

gm
10-19-2006, 07:01 PM
I think Tris Speaker used to do something similar to what Davis tried to do. He was known to play a very shallow CF.

Mays used to sneak in from CF for pickoffs, too. I remember reading Willie getting burned with a liner that went just over his outstretched glove

Hidden ball trick? Fine the base coach

OldRightHander
10-19-2006, 10:53 PM
I have heard about a guy who scored from 2nd on a sac fly a few years ago. I can't seem to remember his name though. Does anyone recall it?

That seems pretty impossible. He was rightly regarded as the fastest man in baseball.

I think a Red did that a few years back, in Arizona maybe?

Driver62
10-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Back in the 50's, a minor league pitcher by the name of Ron Nedicki(sp) pitched a perfect game and struck out all 27 batters.

The Brooklyn Dodgers once ended up with 3 runners on third base at the same time. You don't see that very often.

Spitball
10-21-2006, 08:28 PM
In the early 1990's, Carlton Fisk slide home, but he missed the plate and the catcher missed the tag on Fisk. Believe it or not, Fisk got up and ran safely back to third. Strangest play I have ever seen.

bradmu
10-22-2006, 08:39 PM
Can't remember where I read this, but former #1 draft pick of the Devil Rays Josh Hamilton once threw out a runner at home trying to score on a sac fly...from the warning track some 300+ away. This was high school of course, so we can chalk this one up the little league/HS category.

Its a shame that guy had so many off the field problems. They say he had the tools and talent to be something special. I have heard he is trying to make a comeback though. Anyone else heard anything about that?

Outshined_One
10-22-2006, 09:21 PM
Michael Barrett once had an unassisted CS.

He received the ball as the runner was starting to go to 2nd. The runner saw Barrett motion towards second and froze. Barrett started walking out, faking to both the 1B and 2B as the runner just stood there, waiting for him to make a throw. Thing is, Barrett never made the throw and simply tagged the guy out.

Also, I particularly enjoy it when a guy gets in a rundown between second and third when the catcher inevitably ends up covering 3B in full gear. I think Jeter once really got hurt because he got into that situation and injured himself sliding into the catcher.

paulrichjr
10-22-2006, 11:04 PM
In the early 1990's, Carlton Fisk slide home, but he missed the plate and the catcher missed the tag on Fisk. Believe it or not, Fisk got up and ran safely back to third. Strangest play I have ever seen.

There is a guy in my hometown who is known as the best coach and the smartest baseball guy around who once did this in a game when he played. Really amazed people that he was able to think outside the box that way. The play is still talked about... Something that he did in a Dixie Youth game last year when my son played on his team has intrigued me and made me wonder if it was legal. The bases were loaded in the bottom of the 6th of a tie game. He brought all of the outfielders into the infield except one guy and put him behind the catcher (passed balls can be a problem in a 10-12 year old league.) Someone said to me that they thought it was illegal to have a player play behind the ump(behind homeplate). I wasn't sure. It worked by the way. The game went into extra innings and my son's team went on to win every game that season. Anyone know?

Scrap Irony
10-23-2006, 12:23 AM
It's illegal to have more than one person in foul grounds. (Keith Hernandez was one who was called on this a couple times, as he often put his left foot in foul territory when covering first base on pick-offs.

camisadelgolf
10-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Can't remember where I read this, but former #1 draft pick of the Devil Rays Josh Hamilton once threw out a runner at home trying to score on a sac fly...from the warning track some 300+ away. This was high school of course, so we can chalk this one up the little league/HS category.

Its a shame that guy had so many off the field problems. They say he had the tools and talent to be something special. I have heard he is trying to make a comeback though. Anyone else heard anything about that?

I saw something on television a couple months ago that said Josh Hamilton wasted all his money on drugs/alcohol and that he now lives with family who supervise him pretty much every second of every day because they (including Hamilton) can't trust him to stay clean on his own. However, the bottom line was that he was putting up solid number in low-A and that he was clean.

GOREDSGO32
10-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Yesterday's game with Kenny Rodgers having "something" in his hand in the first inning makes me wonder - has there been any players or pitchers tossed after finding an illegal substance on them? The only thing I can remember is the famous George Brett pine tar incident, although I don't know details on it, I remember Brett jumping from the dugout and going bezerk.

blumj
10-23-2006, 08:04 PM
Jose Guillen ratted out Brendan Donnelly last year, and Frank Robinson had him checked, and he was ejected and there was a whole big thing over it between Robinson and Scioscia.

Julian Tavarez was also ejected and suspended for pine tar on his cap in '04 while pitching for the Cardinals.

jpurdy974
10-25-2006, 08:34 AM
It's been a long time ago, so some of the details are a little fuzzy. I saw Pete Rose score from second base on a wild pitch. I believe it was in the 10th inning. Don't see too many walk off wild pitches. If I'm not mistaken, this happened on the opening day of the season in the game that Hank Aaron tied Babe Ruth's HR record.