PDA

View Full Version : strange social phobias/issues?

BUTLER REDSFAN
10-17-2006, 10:44 PM
does anyone else on here have any strange social phobias/issues??this is an embarassing problem but every time i'm ever in a group situation(that i have no control over) like meetings at work/in a doctors waiting area/in a church/..where you are bunched together in a small or confined area..its not really clausterphobia but just an intense feeling of not wanting to be that close to a group of people...i get stomach cramps???end up having to leave the room have the time--how do you tell people in a nice way "hi nothing personal but i dont want around you?"

LoganBuck
10-18-2006, 12:38 AM
I don't like it when people taste other people's food or drink. It just freaks me out, I hate watching women order girlie drinks at a bar, and then they all have to taste each others drinks. It gives me the willies. EWWW......

HumnHilghtFreel
10-18-2006, 02:24 AM
I have a weird thing about eating around other people, or at least people I don't know. No clue why, but I just prefer to eat in the comfort of my own home.

KronoRed
10-18-2006, 04:44 AM
Not a thread big enough on this planet for all of mine.

GAC
10-18-2006, 05:52 AM
I have Kronophobia! :D

TeamCasey
10-18-2006, 06:10 AM
Bees, jellyfish and crowds. (i.e., I always sit on an aisle seat or I feel really trapped.)

RedsBaron
10-18-2006, 07:43 AM
Bees, jellyfish and crowds. (i.e., I always sit on an aisle seat or I feel really trapped.)

It isn't a phobia but I too always try to get the aisle seat.

MrCinatit
10-18-2006, 08:00 AM
I am just generally socially inept.

RedFanAlways1966
10-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Might be more of a germ-thing (Howard Hughes like).... I never-ever touch hand rails when taking stairs up or down. I have no idea where other peoples hands have been (and don't care to know), but I am sure that they have touched that hand rail. Also, along those same lines, I do not like being in a tight crowd where people I do not know are touching me.

I too am an aisle seat person!

BuckWoody
10-18-2006, 09:45 AM
I am just generally socially inept.
x2.

I've got the shy bladder thing going but that has improved in recent years. I'm not fond of heights, airplanes, or enclosed places but those are fairly common phobias.

There are certain times, like every minute I am in the office, when I think I have Ergophobia (http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=12230). ;)

cumberlandreds
10-18-2006, 10:23 AM
I have panophobia;a fear of everything. :) Here's a list of all phobias.

http://www.aboutphobias.com/phobia_list.html

oneupper
10-18-2006, 10:29 AM
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

Fear of Long Words.

Falls City Beer
10-18-2006, 10:29 AM
Being a teacher removes virtually every social phobia you could ever possess.

The only thing that irritates me in social situations is that person that doesn't know when to shut up. I'm a pretty laconic person, man of few words. Contemplating beats the crap of running my yap.

Otherwise, I'm pretty much the most laid back person in the room.

vaticanplum
10-18-2006, 02:37 PM
I don't really have social phobias, I'm a very sociable person in general. But I am god-awful at remembering names. Numbers, no problem. I have never even bothered to learn how to program my cell phone because I can remember any phone number you give me, any date, any number at all. But names -- it's like I don't even hear them. By the time someone has finished saying, "Hi, I'm Bob," I've already forgotten that he's Bob. It makes me feel horrible because I can meet somebody eight times and really like him or her, have had great conversations and everything, but still have no idea what his or her name is, and you can't ask at that point. And it's like I don't care, but I do; I just have a block. I've tried all the tricks, everything. Most of them I can't even employ, like the one where you're supposed to repeat the name back to the person (which half the time I can't even do because I've already forgotten it.) I hate it. It does make me nervous sometimes.

Chip R
10-18-2006, 02:40 PM
I don't really have social phobias, I'm a very sociable person in general. But I am god-awful at remembering names. Numbers, no problem. I have never even bothered to learn how to program my cell phone because I can remember any phone number you give me, any date, any number at all. But names -- it's like I don't even hear them. By the time someone has finished saying, "Hi, I'm Bob," I've already forgotten that he's Bob. It makes me feel horrible because I can meet somebody eight times and really like him or her, have had great conversations and everything, but still have no idea what his or her name is, and you can't ask at that point. And it's like I don't care, but I do; I just have a block. I've tried all the tricks, everything. Most of them I can't even employ, like the one where you're supposed to repeat the name back to the person (which half the time I can't even do because I've already forgotten it.) I hate it. It does make me nervous sometimes.

I'm the same way with names. I've worked at the same place for over 6 years now and I'm not sure of the names of most of the staff I see and recognize. I have a morbid fear of calling someone by the wrong name so if they say hi to me I'll just ask how are they and engage in a bit of small talk.

SeeinRed
10-18-2006, 03:20 PM
My Agateophobia is about to drive me insane.... Sorry couldn't resist. Look it up. You'll understand.

Ltlabner
10-18-2006, 06:51 PM
I don't like to sit in seats directly below suspended objects. Resturants that have cars and whatnot hanging from the rafters are murder. I have to hunt around the entire resturant for the one table that doesn't have a 57 chevy dangling above my head while I'm trying to eat dinner.

Johnny Footstool
10-18-2006, 06:58 PM
I'm the same way with names. I've worked at the same place for over 6 years now and I'm not sure of the names of most of the staff I see and recognize. I have a morbid fear of calling someone by the wrong name so if they say hi to me I'll just ask how are they and engage in a bit of small talk.

Don't bother with names. Just label people according to prominent physical characteristics.

"Tell Mr. Wideface that Miss Fuzzylip and Baldy-with-a-Goiter took the invoces to Mr. Farts-when-he-walks."

Unassisted
10-18-2006, 08:14 PM
I never take the top newspaper or magazine from a rack. I always dig one out that's a few down from the top.

Yachtzee
10-18-2006, 09:10 PM

I have that same problem. I hear the name, shake the hand, and by the time I've shaken their hand, the name is gone. I hate it too.

On another note, I most certainly do not have caligynephopia. :)

Danny Serafini
10-18-2006, 09:17 PM
I never take the top newspaper or magazine from a rack. I always dig one out that's a few down from the top.

I do the same thing. It's not that I'm afraid of germy hands or anything, it's just that the top one tends to get thumbed through by people and pages get damaged.

Spring~Fields
10-18-2006, 09:31 PM
When someone says, "he said", "she said", "they said", when explaining a response to a given situation or issue at hand, or especially "don't worry about it". It usually is a red flag of impending doom for me indicating a negative unwanted surprise is heading my way.

BoydsOfSummer
10-18-2006, 09:45 PM

I do this one also, I don't know why. I won't even take the top one just to look through and put back.

I can't remember being as obsessed over this one as I have become recently for some reason. Touching anything in a public toidy. I use a paper towel or toidy paper at all times in one. I'll even open the door to leave with the paper towel I used to dry with, and then toss it across the toidy at the waste can. If I don't make it, I don't make it.

max venable
10-19-2006, 11:31 PM

I always take the top one off the rack, open it, fondle it, mess it up a bit then fold it back up and stick it back in the stack in the spot that's a few down from the top...just for people like you. :D

Unassisted
10-20-2006, 05:39 PM
I always take the top one off the rack, open it, fondle it, mess it up a bit then fold it back up and stick it back in the stack in the spot that's a few down from the top...just for people like you. :D

I just made a mental note not to check out any newspapers or magazines the next time I'm in Sugarcreek. If I'm there, it'll be strictly for the cheese. :laugh:

cincinnati chili
10-20-2006, 09:57 PM

It's okay Skip. We forgive you.

We also forgive you, vaticanpomegranite

dman
10-21-2006, 10:37 AM
When I'm in uniform, and decide to eat at a restaraunt, I'll always have a seat at the very back, that way my back is not turned to anybody. I always pick a seat that allows me a full view of the entire place. I just don't like the idea of somebody walking up behind me without my knowledge.

Spiders and ticks are another of my intense phobias, with ticks being the worst. I know they say that all creatures, great and small, were created with a purpose, but I've yet to figure out what purpose that ticks serve.

OldRightHander
10-21-2006, 11:08 AM
I read once that when you flush a toilet that water droplets can spray as far as six feet away from the toilet. Since that day I never flush a toilet without closing the lid. If I use a public stall that doesn't have a lid, I'm standing near the stall door and reaching back with my foot to hit the handle quick before I exit the stall rapidly. If I see one of those toilets with the sensor that will make it flush the very instant you stand up, I will hold it and find another restroom. Just the thought of tiny poop stained water droplets flying through the air is a bit too much.

traderumor
10-21-2006, 11:50 AM
Left turns on busy roads. Unless I have had time to assess traffic patterns and know how to judge when it is safe to go, I will usually spend the extra time to turn right and go the long way around.

Falls City Beer
10-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Left turns on busy roads. Unless I have had time to assess traffic patterns and know how to judge when it is safe to go, I will usually spend the extra time to turn right and go the long way around.

Me too.

traderumor
10-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Me too.And as providence would have it, our offices are on a very low traffic road, but to head home, I have to turn left onto a very busy road with a left turn lane, traffic coming through a light in the near lane, a credit union with cars constantly turning out of it, and the speed limit is 50 MPH. Thank goodness for V8 engines.

halcyon
10-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Touching anything in a public toidy.

"Toidy"? Don't think I'd heard that one before. But I'm with ya on the phobia.