PDA

View Full Version : Do You Lick Your Envelopes?

GAC
10-18-2006, 06:16 AM
RIC is probably gonna love this! :lol:

My brother sent me this email. Don't know if the situations are true or not, so take it for what it's worth...

True Stories:

I used to work for an envelope company. Our plant supervisor used to work in the Chicago plant and told us not to lick the envelopes because they would often find dead rats at the bottom of the glue barrel (after thousands of envelopes had been glued and shipped). EEWW!
------------------------------------------------------
I work in a factory and we have 2 employees who used to work in an
envelope factory. They told me that when the machine jams up, they use whatever water is handy to thin out the glue. This includes water that they just mopped the floor with. Since then, I've avoided licking envelopes..
-------------------------------------------------------------
1.) If you lick your envelopes... You won't anymore!!! A woman was
working in a post office in California. One day she licked the envelopes and postage stamps instead of using a sponge. That very day the lady cut her tongue on the envelope. A week later, she noticed an abnormal swelling of her tongue. She went to the doctor, but they found nothing wrong. Her tongue was not sore or anything. A couple of days later, her tongue started to swell more, and it began to get so sore, that she could not eat. She went back to the hospital, and demanded something be done. The doctor took an x-ray of her tongue and noticed a lump. He prepared her for minor surgery. When the doctor cut her tongue open, a live cockroach crawled out!!!! There were roach eggs on the seal of the envelope. The egg was able to hatch inside of her tongue, because of her saliva. It was warm and moist... This is a true story reported on CNN.
-----------------------------------------------------------
2.) Andy Hume wrote: "Hey, I used to work in an envelope factory. You wouldn't believe the things that float around in those gum applicator trays I haven't licked an envelope for years!"
-----------------------------------------------------------
3.) To All: I used to work for a print shop (32 years ago) and we were
told NEVER to lick the envelopes. I never understood why until I had to go into storage and pull out 2500 envelops that were already printed for a customer who was doing a mailing and saw several squads of roaches roaming around inside a couple of boxes with eggs everywhere. They eat the glue on the envelopes. I think print shops have a harder time controlling roaches than a restaurant. I always buy the self-sealing type. Or if need be, I use a glue stick to seal one that has the type of glue that needs to be wet to stick.

RedFanAlways1966
10-18-2006, 07:36 AM
Three words... (1) Susan (2) Toxic (3) Glue.

RedFanAlways1966
10-18-2006, 07:49 AM
Snopes says it ain't so! But ya never know.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/tacobell.asp

Everything said about cockroach eggs earlier still applies. This incarnation of the tale is every bit as much a hoax as the taco one. In May 2000 someone thought to add further snippets of implied credibility to the e-mail quoted above, namely:

This is a true story reported on CNN.

Andy Hume wrote: Hey, I used to work in an envelope factory. You wouldn't believe the things that float around in those gum applicator trays. I haven't licked an envelope for years.

This is a true story . . . Pass it on
First of all, the story was not reported on CNN. Pasting such authoritative-sounding taglines into the text of hoaxes circulating on the Internet in an effort to give them credibility is commonplace, and this is just another case of some nameless prankster doing just that.

Second, no one knows who "Andy Hume" is, so why give his supposed comments about working in an envelope factory any credence? It ain't all that tough to make up a comment and a name to go with it. If "Andy Hume" works for CNN, it's news to them. Searches of news databases for any reporter of that name turn up one who writes for The Ottawa Citizen, and wider searches turn up a British sports figure who also carries that name. There was also a Washington reporter, Sandy Hume, who killed himself in February 1998. But there's also no reason to assume any of those folks penned the comment circulated to bolster the credibility of the "envelope" e-mail.

LoganBuck
10-18-2006, 07:53 AM
from Snopes.com

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/tacobell.asp

Darn it RFA1966 you beat me!

Highlifeman21
10-18-2006, 01:59 PM
That's why I have a secretary ;)

All joking aside, she uses some roll on applicator to seal all our outgoing mail.

KittyDuran
10-18-2006, 02:07 PM
That's why I have a secretary ;)

All joking aside, she uses some roll on applicator to seal all our outgoing mail.I use a glue stick - much neater...:thumbup:

SeeinRed
10-18-2006, 02:14 PM
I'm more worried about the calories...:D Seriously though, if you want to know the truth, there are animal and insect parts in every thing we consume food wise. It is impossible to keep them out. Then there is the whole chemical in food debate. If you are worried about stuff like that, you will surely starve. Nothing that you get from a store is without its impurities. Even if it came from the factory without anything in it, which it doesn't, the way it is handled in the backs of grocery stores is sure to fix that. If you've ever been back there you know what I mean. Even with every possible safeguard in place, you will still get the impurities. Its just impossible to avoid.

dabvu2498
10-18-2006, 02:38 PM
I use a glue stick - much neater...:thumbup:

Scotch tape.

Ltlabner
10-18-2006, 05:46 PM
I lick and use scotch tape just to be sure it's closed.
You call it "obsessive", but I call it....well...."obsessive".

Johnny Footstool
10-18-2006, 05:53 PM
I often wish people would pay more attention to the things that can really get them killed (driving, unsafe guns, cigarettes, alcohol) instead of filling their brains with worrisome nonsense.

Dom Heffner
10-18-2006, 11:59 PM
The title of this thread could just have easily been "Do you shake people's hands?"

The things we eat and are not aware of are shocking, but at the end of the day, life expectancy is close to 80 years for the average person.

I'd tell everyone to take a deep breath but we'd all be afraid of what was in the air. :)

KronoRed
10-19-2006, 12:04 AM
NO.

Scotch tape all the way

vaticanplum
10-19-2006, 12:15 AM
The title of this thread could just have easily been "Do you shake people's hands?"

The things we eat and are not aware of are shocking, but at the end of the day, life expectancy is close to 80 years for the average person.

I'd tell everyone to take a deep breath but we'd all be afraid of what was in the air. :)

My mom always told me, "have faith in your own immune system, baby."

She also told me "Suffer for beauty," but I figure she had to hit the mark at least part of the time.

GAC
10-19-2006, 07:46 AM
I often wish people would pay more attention to the things that can really get them killed (driving, unsafe guns, cigarettes, alcohol) instead of filling their brains with worrisome nonsense.

I was watching The Aviator again the other day. Man, I couldn't live like that.

max venable
10-19-2006, 08:03 AM
I lick. I'm still alive.

cumberlandreds
10-19-2006, 08:38 AM
I lick. I'm still alive.

Same here. Nothing has ever happened to me. Not yet anyway. :)

Johnny Footstool
10-19-2006, 12:06 PM
I was watching The Aviator again the other day. Man, I couldn't live like that.

Howard Hughes was a grade-A nut job.

Roy Tucker
10-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Actually, if you don't get your tongue parallel to the envelope flap, you can get a paper cut on your tongue which can hurt like the dickens (as my grandma used to say).

I speak from experience here. Yes, I am a moron.

KronoRed
10-19-2006, 05:47 PM
I lick. I'm still alive.

...are you sure? ;)

OldRightHander
10-19-2006, 07:12 PM
I buy those peel and seal ones. Just remove the piece of paper and seal it without having to lick it or use a glue stick.

OldRightHander
10-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Actually, if you don't get your tongue parallel to the envelope flap, you can get a paper cut on your tongue which can hurt like the dickens (as my grandma used to say).

I speak from experience here. Yes, I am a moron.

That happened to me about ten years ago, the last time I licked an envelope.