PDA

View Full Version : Baker 'interested' in A's vacancy but won't call Beane

Number_Fourteen
10-19-2006, 08:54 AM
If hired, it would be a homecoming for the former Giants manager

By Dave Newhouse
MEDIANEWS

The A's need a new manager, and former Giants skipper Dusty Baker says he'd "be interested."

"In the Bay Area, oh, yeah. It would be nice for me and my family." Baker said by telephone Monday.

Ken Macha apparently didn't communicate enough in the A's clubhouse. Communication is Baker's strong suit. He is the consummate player's manager, a natural leader.

"My best is yet to come," Baker said. "Whoever gets me is gonna get a manager who's on a mission to win. I'm a better manager because of what happened the last couple of years."

The Chicago Cubs self-destructed this season. Ace pitchers Kerry Wood and Mark Prior couldn't throw. Derrek Lee and Michael Barrett missed significant playing time because of injuries. The Cubs didn't win, and Baker was fired.

"You hate to see it happen to a colleague," Baker said of Macha. "But it happens in baseball. Nobody knows the problem. Most of the time, they have only part of the information. If I come out and say it, you're slighting the organization, you're slighting the players, and you're slighting yourself."

Baker guided the Giants into the 2002 World Series. If not for Scott Spiezio's three-run homer in the eighth inning of Game 6, the Giants likely would have beaten Anaheim.

Baker also led the Cubs to the 2003 National League Championship Series. If not for the infamous Steve Bartman, the Cubs might have beaten Florida.

Also, 20 years ago, Baker wound up a splendid playing career in Oakland. So he has an understanding of how the A's organization works.

"I do know him," he said of A's general manager Billy Beane, "though not that well."

Does Baker believe Beane thinks kindly of him?

"Yeah, yeah," he said, "as far as I know. But you can't hire yourself."

Baker said he won't pick up the phone and call Beane.

"That's not protocol," he said. "The agent calls. Everyone knows I'm out here."

Baker was in Los Angeles on Monday to appear on Roy Firestone's television show. Baker still has a home on the Peninsula.

"You want it to be the right time, the right place, the right team," he said of his next job. "These last couple of years of losing is like a nightmare. That's not me at all. I was bringing it pretty good until then."

Number_Fourteen
10-19-2006, 08:56 AM
"I do know him," he said of A's general manager Billy Beane, "though not that well." i.e. don't call us, we'll call you. cannot imagine the inept toothpick man working for Beane.

WVRed
10-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Please dont. Baker has ruined too many arms for me to see him end up in Oakland.

Strikes Out Looking
10-19-2006, 09:25 AM
Fearless Prediction if Baker hired by A's:

Harden, Haren and Blanton do not pitch more than 750 more innings combined in their careers.

westofyou
10-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Baker being hired by the A's is about as likely as me being hired by the A's.

CySeymour
10-19-2006, 11:20 AM

I'd hire you first

TOBTTReds
10-19-2006, 12:22 PM

I disagree. You would be much more likely to be hired.

Dusty was quoted earlier this season as saying walks clogged his bases because he didn't have guys to hit HR's behind them. That IMMEDIATELY disqualified him from the job.

RedsManRick
10-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Dusty's head would explode as he tries to find a guy with a sub .300 OBP to leadoff...

Chip R
10-19-2006, 12:59 PM
If Big Dust is hired, I'd expect it to be in either Texas or Washington as long as JimBo doesn't see him as a threat to his job.

Johnny Footstool
10-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Nice to see that Dusty ain't too proud to beg.

Raisor
10-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Billy Beane and Dusty Baker.

Wow.

Just wow.

We'd finally see how Warp Power works from Star Trek. All that matter-anti-matter combining would leave a pretty big hole in Oakland.

deltachi8
10-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Talk about Worlds colliding

And for the record, i would hire about half of the posters on this board before I would hire Baker.

Chip R
10-19-2006, 02:54 PM
I saw him on Baseball Tonight. I didn't recognize him without the toothpick and wristbands.

Here's a thought that should send a shiver up your spine. Let's say Big Dust isn't hired and decides to be a host on BBTN. Furthermore, let's say the Reds get off to a bad start. You think Wayne and Bob might pull the trigger on Jerry and get Dusty as a manager?

blumj
10-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Dusty's head would explode as he tries to find a guy with a sub .300 OBP to leadoff...
Marco-clap, clap, clap... Scutaro-clap, clap, clap...

Okay, not really, but I just wanted to do that.

Heath
10-19-2006, 03:28 PM
I'd hire you first

I wouldn't waste woy's time - there are better jobs out there than to be manager of the Oakland Athletics.

Unassisted
10-19-2006, 04:44 PM
Here's a thought that should send a shiver up your spine. Let's say Big Dust isn't hired and decides to be a host on BBTN. Furthermore, let's say the Reds get off to a bad start. You think Wayne and Bob might pull the trigger on Jerry and get Dusty as a manager?

Only at gunpoint or under some serious Selig-induced duress.

I think Wayne and Bob's ideal next manager is less laid-back than Narron rather than more so.

KronoRed
10-19-2006, 06:45 PM
I'd hire you first

Same.

SteelSD
10-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Gawd.

Bringing Dusty Baker in to manage a pitching staff is akin to paying wolves to guard your chickens.