PDA

View Full Version : Andy Furman fired

KittyDuran
10-19-2006, 07:43 PM
Doesn't look like a joke [the typical stunt pulled on WLW]:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061019/SPT02/310190036

Furman silent on, off air
BY JOHN KIESEWETTER AND MARK CURNUTTE | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITERS
Andy Furman, the popular WLW-AM radio host, has been suspended for on-air comments he made about Bengals wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

Darryl Parks, operations manager for Clear Channel’s four AM stations here, refused to confirm or deny that Furman was suspended. Three phone messages for General Manager Karrie Sudbrack Thursday were not returned.

“You know we don’t talk about personnel matters,” Parks said.

Contacted at his Florence home, Furman, 56, refused to answer when asked if he’d been suspended.

“I can’t say,” Furman said.

Furman said he has no idea when he might return to work.

“I really don’t know. I have nothing in writing. I don’t know,” he said.

Furman, the outspoken – and sometimes outrageous – radio personality, is being disciplined for comments about Houshmandzadeh on Oct. 5-6, after the player missed a paid appearance with Furman on WLW-AM. WLW-AM personalities, who frequently joke about vacationing staffers being “suspended,” have been ordered not to talk about Furman, Clear Channel employees told The Enquirer.

Houshmandzadeh said he had flown home to California after practice on Oct. 5 – the Thursday of the team’s bye week – thinking he was not needed on the radio that night because the team was off that weekend. He called Furman after missing the show, he said.

The next day, Furman called Houshmandzadeh a racist on the air, according to Houshmandzadeh. Furman told listeners that Houshmandzadeh had called him a “white punk a--,” Houshmandzadeh said.

“I didn’t say it,” Houshmandzadeh said of the alleged racist remark. “I told him, ‘Andy Furman, you can ---- yourself.’ That’s the bottom line. And he twisted it into all whatever he wants to.”

Houshmandzadeh, 29, said Thursday he has talked to a lawyer about Furman’s broadcast remarks.

In a statement released late today through his publicist, Carla Welborn, Houshmandzadeh said that “being of mixed heritage myself, I understand that my fans come from diverse backgrounds and for that reason alone I would never say or do anything to offend them – and more importantly – I care about my image both on and off the field.”

Houshmandzadehi is half African-American and half Iranian. His wife is half white, he said.

“What he did was wrong,” Houshmandzadeh said. “Controversy sells. This time he took controversy too far.”

Since Friday, Bill “Seg” Dennison has hosted “SportsTalk” and the Monday night “BengalsLine” call-in show. WLW-AM is the area’s No. 1 station, including during Furman’s shows.

Controversy is nothing new to the opinionated talk host.

Two years ago, he angered Ken Griffey Jr. by criticizing the Reds outfielder for calling loud, abusive fans “clowns” in a USA Today story.

In 1995, he was banned from appearing on Bengals-related radio shows by team President Mike Brown.

Furman called Reds General Manager Jim Bowden a “liar” and “weasel” in 1994. That same year he referred to University of Cincinnati President Joseph A. Steger as “Adolf Steger,” and later apologized.

He was sued by anti-smoking advocate Ahron Leichtman for blowing cigar smoke in his face during a 1991 appearance on Cunningham’s talk show.

The former race track promoter at old Latonia Race Track (now Turfway Park) was fired from Monticello Raceway in New York for a “Ku Klux Klan Night” promotion in the 1980s.

E-mail jkiesewetter@enquirer.com, mcurnutte@enquirer.com

KittyDuran
10-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Well, WLW's website has Furrball as ON now...:p:
http://700wlw.com/main.html

KronoRed
10-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Sureeeee, I believe it.

StillFunkyB
10-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Just fire him, and make alot of people happy.

I'm sure they would find some other bozo to run the circus.

Oh, wait, that's right.. Tracy Jones come on down :barf:

LoganBuck
10-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Seg is a better host then Furman anyway. Seg at least talks sports and lets the callers talk about sports.

Chip R
10-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Sureeeee, I believe it.

Yeah. He's suspended right until his vacation is over. WLW has cried wolf on this stuff for so long that their credibility is shot.

savafan
10-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Well, Houshmandzadeh's comments tend to make me think there's something more than just a vacation going on here.

dabvu2498
10-20-2006, 01:12 PM
I was listening the night after the "message" was left by TJ.

One of the few times I didn't think Furman was just mouthing off.

Newport Red
10-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Just fire him, and make alot of people happy.

I'm sure they would find some other bozo to run the circus.

Oh, wait, that's right.. Tracy Jones come on down :barf:

Anything that happens that can possibly make Alan Cutler anything more than a weekend host scares me.

Spring~Fields
10-20-2006, 01:15 PM
You know when I was a child, in a different lifetime, WLW use to have really good radio programming and entertainment, really quality people. Now they just have the screamers, yellers and funny men that aren’t funny.

BuckWoody
10-20-2006, 01:18 PM
Where's Matt? He needs to chime in on the subject and give us the scoop...as long as it wouldn't get him in trouble with the bosses.

BUTLER REDSFAN
10-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Seg is a better host then Furman anyway. Seg at least talks sports and lets the callers talk about sports.

I've said this before, I like Seg in general but the man simply has problems putting words together. He stammers so much trying to put a sentence together you almost feel sorry for him.

dabvu2498
10-20-2006, 01:39 PM
I've said this before, I like Seg in general but the man simply has problems putting words together. He stammers so much trying to put a sentence together you almost feel sorry for him.

That's a way of life in Middletown, OH (SEG's hometown.)

Matt700wlw
10-20-2006, 03:46 PM
Oh now...be nice to Seg

:)

KronoRed
10-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Yeah. He's suspended right until his vacation is over. WLW has cried wolf on this stuff for so long that their credibility is shot.
Yep, only way I believe this is real is if he's actually fired and never heard on the air again.

No way that happens ;)

Chip R
10-20-2006, 04:03 PM
Well, Houshmandzadeh's comments tend to make me think there's something more than just a vacation going on here.

When the Iron Sheik said he was going to kick Hulk Hogan's ass, it sounded real to me even though I knew it wasn't.

If they are going to go this far for a publicity gag, don't you think T.J. would be in on it as well? If Furman did something so bad, why not fire him instead of suspend him? Even they should know by now that their "suspensions" are jokes. It's not like he's irreplacable.

Even if this is on the level, can you blame anyone for thinking it's just another gag? Like I said, they have cried wolf too often for me to believe they are on the level.

BUTLER REDSFAN
10-20-2006, 10:17 PM
didnt they play tj's voice mail that he left over the radio??unless furman made that up how can tj say he didnt say that?!?

LoganBuck
10-20-2006, 11:40 PM
All the answers will probably come to light during Daryl Parks show on Saturday morning at 9am.

Caveat Emperor
10-21-2006, 02:48 AM
Oh now...be nice to Seg

:)

Everyone should be nice to Seg -- he allows the callers to host Sports Talk whenever he's on.

SEG: Go ahead, you're on the Big One.

CALLER: Hey Seg, I wanted to know what the Bengals problem on offense was, especially on 3rd down.

SEG: Yeah, that has been a huge issue with this team. What do you think the problem is?

CALLER: Well, I think they're not getting good push on the line, and it's causing Carson to get rid of the ball too soon and disrupting the timing on offense.

SEG: You know, it might just be the timing being off. Thanks for calling. 749-7000, 1-800-THE-BIG1 toll free. Let's go to our next caller...

GAC
10-21-2006, 05:55 AM
I was actually listening to that particualr show (imagine that) they are referring to. Furman was upset that TJ was scheduled to be on, and yet didn't show up. Furman stated this was the second similar incident where TJ had basically stiffed WLW. Furman was somewhat upset that he didn't show up, but he didn't go into one of his typical Furman rants IMO. Then, while he was on the air, he called another Bengal player (a lineman?), congratulated him on his play the game before, called him a class act, and invited him to come on the show the next week (which he gladly accepted).

Now if this is the same show that they are referring to, then I didn't hear Furman make any "over the top" comments about TJ other then the fact he was really upset he stiffed him.

guttle11
10-21-2006, 11:36 AM
I was actually listening to that particualr show (imagine that) they are referring to. Furman was upset that TJ was scheduled to be on, and yet didn't show up. Furman stated this was the second similar incident where TJ had basically stiffed WLW. Furman was somewhat upset that he didn't show up, but he didn't go into one of his typical Furman rants IMO. Then, while he was on the air, he called another Bengal player (a lineman?), congratulated him on his play the game before, called him a class act, and invited him to come on the show the next week (which he gladly accepted).

Now if this is the same show that they are referring to, then I didn't hear Furman make any "over the top" comments about TJ other then the fact he was really upset he stiffed him.

That was it.

Andy went off for pretty much the whole show, and even brought up some random guy who said that he liked to hire athletes. Andy ripped that guy and his theory, and just flat out ripped TJ a new one. At times, he was literally screaming. Just a horribly transparent show, which is usual for Furball.

You just know he was hoping TJ wouldn't show so he could get to be his usual holier than thou self.

Hopefully they fire him, because I won't listen to Sports Talk anymore. He's a joke.

Dom Heffner
10-21-2006, 01:09 PM
When I interned for WLW a long time ago, Fuhrman was supposed to show up and help announce high school basketball games for two different tournies held at the Shoemaker Center.

He ended up not showing (both times) and a poor intern had to do it for him.

Finally, my day of reckoning has arrived- poor Andy got stood up (and apparently it's not very funny when it happens to him). :)

Ron Madden
10-21-2006, 10:05 PM
Furman deserves to be fired, He's a fraud and a phony.

StillFunkyB
10-21-2006, 11:06 PM
Furman deserves to be fired, He's a fraud and a phony.

I thought he should have been fired after the whole Griffey thing....oh well.

RedFanAlways1966
10-21-2006, 11:18 PM
Rest assured... the ratings decide whether Andy works at WLW or not. I'd have to say that he gets decent ratings since he has been at it for so long. Don't blame me... I don't care for his act and very rarely ever listen to him. But there must be a lot of others who do.

GAC
10-22-2006, 07:13 AM
It's all about the shock value and ratings game. Believe me, Furman is doing the job that Cunningham wants him to do. ;)

KittyDuran
10-22-2006, 08:47 AM
All the answers will probably come to light during Daryl Parks show on Saturday morning at 9am.Did Parks bring it up [I can only listen to about 5 minutes of his show]?

LoganBuck
10-22-2006, 11:17 AM
I only heard the first hour. No mention.

My guess is that if it is a real suspension, then they wouldn't talk about it on the air.

Ron Madden
10-25-2006, 04:24 AM
It's all about the shock value and ratings game. Believe me, Furman is doing the job that Cunningham wants him to do. ;)

WLW will lead the ratings game in the Mon-Fri 6-9 pm time slot as long as they continue to broadcast Reds Baseball, UC and Xavier Basketball.

I can't believe anyone has ever tuned in to listen to Furman.

Heath
10-25-2006, 03:39 PM
WLW will lead the ratings game in the Mon-Fri 6-9 pm time slot as long as they continue to broadcast Reds Baseball, UC and Xavier Basketball.

I can't believe anyone has ever tuned in to listen to Furman.

Bill Cunningham could go Sports from 6-9pm on weeknights and people will still listen.

I am shocked that Furman's still here. JMO.

The logical one to replace Furman is Alan Cutler. Which lesser of the two evils do you want there?

I wish Bob Trumpy would come back - I've heard he's not as egotistical in his old age. He could even do it from Glendale in his basement.

Chip R
10-25-2006, 03:44 PM
I wish Bob Trumpy would come back - I've heard he's not as egotistical in his old age. He could even do it from Glendale in his basement.

I think he's too bitter.

Hoosier Red
10-25-2006, 04:24 PM
I think Cutler would be an incredulous pick.

goreds2
10-25-2006, 05:08 PM

:clap:

LoganBuck
10-26-2006, 12:35 AM
A caller mentioned Furman to Seg tonight. Seg said Andy is taking some time away and that "He can't discuss" and then he abruptly quit and took the next caller. Judging by matt's silence it obviously is touchy.

WMR
10-26-2006, 12:40 AM
they oughta replace some of that crap programming with Team Clark's podcast. It'd instantly become their best, most informed show.

Ron Madden
10-26-2006, 04:34 AM
Bill Cunningham could go Sports from 6-9pm on weeknights and people will still listen.

I am shocked that Furman's still here. JMO.

The logical one to replace Furman is Alan Cutler. Which lesser of the two evils do you want there?

Trumpy and Cutler would both be very low on my list of favorites.

That said, Trumpy and Cutler would both rank well above Furman, Jones and Tom Gamble on that same list. ;)

Heath
10-26-2006, 09:41 AM
A caller mentioned Furman to Seg tonight. Seg said Andy is taking some time away and that "He can't discuss" and then he abruptly quit and took the next caller. Judging by matt's silence it obviously is touchy.

IMO, (and I have no contacts in that radio station), Furman's gone for good.

Why does Lance McAllister come to mind as Andy's replacement? Would it be a cut in pay due to Reds games on the Big One?

BoydsOfSummer
10-26-2006, 06:01 PM
Lance is already part of the Reds pregame radio broadcast. He would be a huge leap forward from Furman.

Yachtzee
10-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Team Clark for Furman's Job! (if he wants it)

Caveat Emperor
10-26-2006, 09:18 PM

Word among the "locals" is that it's EXTREMELY touchy right now and most of the people at WLW are shocked that "one of their own" is being taken to the mat like this.

Pure speculation, but it's hard not to see this as the hammer finally being dropped by clear channel on a station that has, to this point, gotten a free pass on content, spending, and management due to the close ties with the old Jacor Communications.

They lost their patron saint when Randy Micheals stopped having pull with the clear channel brass. Now, WLW (and WEBN for that matter) are just cogs in the corporate machinary -- and the corporate machinary cares about things like cost-benefit and profit and doesn't tolerate "the boys being the boys" at a local talker; especially not at the salary level that most of the top-talent at WLW commands.

redsfan30
10-27-2006, 10:23 AM
My vote would be for the Seg Man as a full time replacement.

KittyDuran
11-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Bump... the latest news:

WLW fires Furman
BY JOHN KIESEWETTER | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
WLW-AM “SportsTalk” host Andy Furman was fired today, said his attorney, Janet Abary.

In a note sent to staffers today, Darryl Parks, the station’s AM operations director, said that “Andy Furman is no longer with 700 WLW.”

Furman was suspended with pay on Oct. 13 for calling Bengals wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh a “racist” on the Oct. 6 “SportsTalk” show. The comments came a day after Furman had ripped the Bengals player on the air after he missed a paid appearance on “SportsTalk”, a weekly talk show, during the team’s bye week.

Furman could not be reached for comment.

Heath
11-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Bump... the latest news:

WLW fires Furman
WLW-AM “SportsTalk” host Andy Furman was fired today, said his attorney, Janet Abary.

In a note sent to staffers today, Darryl Parks, the station’s AM operations director, said that “Andy Furman is no longer with 700 WLW.”

Furman was suspended with pay on Oct. 13 for calling Bengals wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh a “racist” on the Oct. 6 “SportsTalk” show. The comments came a day after Furman had ripped the Bengals player on the air after he missed a paid appearance on “SportsTalk”, a weekly talk show, during the team’s bye week.

Wow.

Hope Wendy's still teaching somewhere.

Someone will pick him up.

KronoRed
11-01-2006, 03:49 PM
I still say malarkey.

zombie-a-go-go
11-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Bump... the latest news:

WLW fires Furman

"Ripped?"

The paper's editors must have had the night off...

Dom Heffner
11-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Hosting a show on WLW is like coaching the 49ers of the 1980's.

Just show up and you'll do fine.

There are no other games in town, and if there are, ownership will buy up the competition to ensure success.

Chip R
11-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Andy, we hardly knew ye. Of course the bad news is Tracy Jones and Alan Cutler move up one spot in the pecking order.

redsfanmia
11-01-2006, 05:06 PM
Wow, I know I am in the minority but I like Furball. Maybe they can hire Randy Furman to replace him.

redsfan1966
11-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Count me in the minority as well...except for some comments about the Steelers, who I prefer NFL wise...I always enjoyed listening to Furman and looked forward to the Furman-Cunningham-SegMan exchanges during Willie's show....I too am a little skeptical about whether this is for real, but if it is--I must say it took some stones for WLW to get rid of such a highly rated personality....

Caveat Emperor
11-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Andy, we hardly knew ye. Of course the bad news is Tracy Jones and Alan Cutler move up one spot in the pecking order.

Alan Cutler might be the worst talk radio host in the history of organized sports radio -- worse even than the immortal Ken Beatrice on the Team in DC.

I have to imagine the rest of WLW is walking on eggshells right now. What Furman said was mild compared to what passes for good radio on 700, and I'd be willing to bet there are more than a few people around the station who are wondering if they too are more replaceable than they've allowed themselves to believe.

I hope Furman finds some work elsewhere in the market, but given Clear Channel's monopoly on talk radio in this town, I can't see that being likely.

MrCinatit
11-01-2006, 06:35 PM
/start Jerry Seinfeld

That's a shame

/end Jerry Seinfeld.

Strikes Out Looking
11-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Alan Cutler might be the worst talk radio host in the history of organized sports radio -- worse even than the immortal Ken Beatrice on the Team in DC.

I have to imagine the rest of WLW is walking on eggshells right now. What Furman said was mild compared to what passes for good radio on 700, and I'd be willing to bet there are more than a few people around the station who are wondering if they too are more replaceable than they've allowed themselves to believe.

I hope Furman finds some work elsewhere in the market, but given Clear Channel's monopoly on talk radio in this town, I can't see that being likely.

Being worse than the now-retired Ken Beatrice is not easy. Maybe Furman will go back to being a jockey at Latonia.

Javy Pornstache
11-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Wow, I know I am in the minority but I like Furball. Maybe they can hire Randy Furman to replace him.

Haha, that's what I was thinking, too. Randy Furman from your traffic headquarters, 1710!

jimbo
11-01-2006, 07:50 PM

Cutler is the absolute worst. If he takes over for Furman in any capacity, WLW will lose a lot of listeners, including myself. It's bad enough we have to listen to him on the weekends.

LoganBuck
11-01-2006, 08:21 PM
I could see them grabbing a guy from 1460 in Columbus, like Bruce Hooley or Mike Riccardati. Those guys are not annoying, and they haven't been homers for the Buckeyes either. They are very professional and they can talk about a multitude of sports related topics, and they can still talk Xs and Os. Which Furman stopped doing years ago.

Caveat Emperor
11-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Being worse than the now-retired Ken Beatrice is not easy. Maybe Furman will go back to being a jockey at Latonia.

Favorite Ken Beatrice Memory: Ken Beatrice (a host on a nightly sports talk show in the DC area, for those not familiar) once did a "live read" type commercial for Arby's in the DC/MD/VA area. He was apparently pretty good friends with the owner of all the local franchises, a guy named Bernie Streeter, because the commercial wasn't so much about Arby's as they were about Bernie.

The commercial basically said that you should eat at Arby's because Bernie Streeter was a really good guy who treated his employees well (The actual line, which I'll remember until the day I die: "Bernie Streeter treats his employees with a respect and dignity that is then transferred to you, the customer.") He then plugged the food by saying that Arby's has curly fries, but then added the wonderful caveat "I don't like french fries, I don't eat french fries, but I'm told they're very good." Then he ended the commercial by once again saying what a great guy Bernie was. This ad played throughout the day on the station for the better part of 2 years -- unchanged.

This guy was hack radio at it's finest and stupifyingly unlistenable. Still better than Alan Cutler, though.

Caveat Emperor
11-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Count me in the minority as well...except for some comments about the Steelers, who I prefer NFL wise...I always enjoyed listening to Furman and looked forward to the Furman-Cunningham-SegMan exchanges during Willie's show....I too am a little skeptical about whether this is for real, but if it is--I must say it took some stones for WLW to get rid of such a highly rated personality....

It's absolutely for real.

WLW will probably either leave Seg hosting SportsTalk for the interim (or go get a guest host), and then I'd be willing to bet they pull the Angry Guys off Homer to be the permanent replacement.

For those who don't follow the radio biz, the Cincinnati market had a huge shakeup today with CBS/Infinity divesting itself of it's entire holdings in the area. WAQZ (97.3) had it's entire on-air staff blown out and is going to be format-flipped to "Young Country" by the new owners, Entercom. Entercom then flipped WGRR to another company, Cumulus, which also owns STAR 94.9.

Word is that Cumulus is going to keep GRR as the oldies format, but is going to flip 94.9 to an FM Talk format. That could be a potential soft landing for Furman, doing a nightly sports talk show for that station. It would be a big land for a startup talker and create some market buzz, but I doubt they'll pay Furman near what he was supposedly making at WLW.

KittyDuran
11-01-2006, 09:39 PM
A little more in depth article...

WLW fires Furman
After 18 years on WLW-AM (700), in which he offended many listeners with his bombastic comments, a public dispute with a Bengals player cost Andy Furman his job.

Furman, 56, was fired Wednesday, nearly three weeks after being suspended with pay on Oct. 13 for calling wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh a “racist” during the station’s weeknight “SportsTalk” show on Oct. 6.

The remark came a day after Furman had ripped the player on the air for missing a paid appearance on “SportsTalk” that night during the team’s bye week.

The decision came from Clear Channel’s corporate headquarters in San Antonio, Texas, and not at the Kenwood station, says Janet Abary, Furman’s attorney.

Houshmandzadeh’s attorney had contacted the San Antonio office after Furman’s remarks.

Karrie Sudbrack, general manager for the eight Clear Channel stations, would not say why Furman was fired.

“We have decided to make a change, and that’s about all I can comment on the situation. I can’t talk about the specifics,” Sudbrack said.

Sudbrack said Furman’s termination likely would not likely change the brash, in-your-face tone of the station, which has made it No. 1 in ratings here for 6½ years.
“That’s not necessarily the case. We’ve just decided to make a change as it pertains to ‘SportsTalk’ in the evening,” she said.

Clear Channel employees had been told by Darryl Parks, AM operations director, not to speak about Furman “to the press or on the air on our various stations.”

Furman, of Florence, declined to comment, his attorney said.

One possible reason for firing Furman was the announcement last week that Clear Channel, the nation’s largest radio company, is for sale, said Bruce Drushel, a Miami University assistant professor of communications. The founding Mays family is negotiating for the company to be taken private by a consortium of investors for more than $18.5 billion. A possible lawsuit by Houshmandzadeh could be problematic, Drushel said.

“If you’re for sale, or if you’re buying a company, you don’t want to have any liability on the horizon,” he said.

Furman’s attack on Houshmandzadeh was the latest in Furman’s controversial career, during which he angered Reds and Bengals management and players, university coaches and presidents, and his listeners.

On Oct. 6, Furman said on the air that Houshmandzadeh had called him a “punk a-- white boy.” Houshmandzadeh denied making the remark.

“I told him, ‘Andy Furman, you can ---- yourself.’ That’s the bottom line. And he twisted it into all whatever he wants to,” Houshmandzadeh said several days after the broadcast. “What he did was wrong…. This time he took it too far.”

Mike Honold was listening to Furman on his drive home from work on Oct. 6 – as he has for 18 years – and thought the host was “particularly over the top” on Houshmandzadeh.

“If he was lying about it, he should be fired – particularly since he said it about such a big customer on the station, the Bengals,” said Honold, 44, of Cheviot.

Furman’s firing was cheered by Sheri Edmundson-Wood, 32, of Anderson Township, who called it “a very, very long time coming.” She has disliked him since 1990, when Furman called her a “****.” He made the remark when Edmundson-Wood, then 16, had called to wish Furman’s co-host at the time, Cris Collinsworth, a belated happy birthday.

Bob Burgett of Fairfield Township also supported WLW-AM’s decision. He was shocked to hear Furman on Oct. 5 encourage listeners to spit on Houshmandzadeh’s jerseys because he failed to appear on “SportsTalk” that night.
“That was more than just talking smack. It was hateful and unprofessional,” said Burgett, 43.

But longtime friend Tom Dinkel – a former broadcast partner and former Bengals linebacker – said he was disappointed by Wednesday’s news.

“Bill Cunningham says stuff twice as bad (on WLW-AM) on a daily basis – he had offended almost every ethnic group in this city – and he doesn’t get touched,” said Dinkel, who co-hosted “Sunday Morning SportsTalk” with Furman for 15 years.
“Andy Furman chose a member of the wrong organization to go after, a member of the Bengals,” Dinkel said.

Dinkel said WLW-AM management encourages talk hosts to push the envelope and be entertaining to light up the talk-radio phone lines.

“Andy Furman was paid to give an opinion, and to make you think about stuff,” Dinkel said. “In that business, you’re going to offend everybody. You might not like him, but you’d listen to him every night.”

Miami University’s Drushel says WLW-AM and Clear Channel managers “reward, if not encourage, fairly extreme views that will elicit a response” from the audience
“The question is how far do you go raising controversy, or saying outrageous things, before you cross the line into the impermissible or insensitive?” said Drushel, a Colerain Township resident who worked in radio before joining the Miami faculty 19 years ago. “Evidently, the station didn’t make clear where the line was.”

Where is that line?

Cunningham, in an interview about talk radio philosophy after Furman’s suspension, described it this way:

“The goal is to never go over the line. You go up to the line, and put your toe across the line and see how it is, and then you respond appropriately,” Cunningham said. He declined to discuss Furman’s situation.

Drushel said AM talk radio stations must have attitude because of the increasing competition from satellite and syndicated shows. Cunningham said his competition includes the Internet, blogs, and all-news cable channels.

“You can’t be normal. You have to stick out like a sore thumb,” Cunningham said.

The primary objective of any talk radio host is to maximize ratings – and therefore revenues – by being as entertaining as possible, Cunningham said. “If you’re boring and dull, you’re not going to be successful in talk radio,” he said.

In his memo to Clear Channel staffers, Parks said Bill “Seg” Dennison would continue to host “SportsTalk” 6-9 p.m. weekdays until a new host is hired. Employees at WLW-AM and sister station WCKY-AM (HOMER 1530) would be considered for the job, as well as outside candidates, Sudbrack said.

paintmered
11-02-2006, 12:22 AM
For those who don't follow the radio biz, the Cincinnati market had a huge shakeup today with CBS/Infinity divesting itself of it's entire holdings in the area. WAQZ (97.3) had it's entire on-air staff blown out and is going to be format-flipped to "Young Country" by the new owners, Entercom. Entercom then flipped WGRR to another company, Cumulus, which also owns STAR 94.9.

NOOO!!!! I absolutely loved 97.3 "on shuffle". :(

I guess this city needed a 14th country station. :thumbdown

Chip R
11-02-2006, 12:27 AM
NOOO!!!! I absolutely loved 97.3 "on shuffle". :(

I guess this city needed a 14th country station. :thumbdown

It's a present for Wildman Walker. ;)

Javy Pornstache
11-02-2006, 12:55 AM
It's absolutely for real.

WLW will probably either leave Seg hosting SportsTalk for the interim (or go get a guest host), and then I'd be willing to bet they pull the Angry Guys off Homer to be the permanent replacement.

Word is that Cumulus is going to keep GRR as the oldies format, but is going to flip 94.9 to an FM Talk format. That could be a potential soft landing for Furman, doing a nightly sports talk show for that station. It would be a big land for a startup talker and create some market buzz, but I doubt they'll pay Furman near what he was supposedly making at WLW.

Are you sure about these format changes, CE? I hope that doesn't sound confrontational, I am just curious. I had heard it differently a couple weeks ago, and just wondering if I misheard. WYGY 96.5, the country station, is still country and already switched to its new frequency at 94.9 but was still being simulcast on 96.5 for a couple weeks. It did change ownership hands, which, interestingly enough, the new owner of WYGY also owns the other country station, WUBE 105.1. They technically won't be in competition with each other, as they consider WUBE a "legacy country" format, and WYGY "young country". It will be more synergistic, I suppose. 96.5 is the one that I understood would take the FM talk radio format, which I've already heard some signs of as well - I heard what sounded like an old-time radio drama on there Wednesday evening, around 8PM roughly.

This change is independent of WAQZ, the alternative rock format at 97.3. As I understood it, it was going to keep the format, but go into more of an automation/autopilot mode, where it's basically just the music without the jocks. I have noticed this change in recent days. Most of those who lost their jobs were in production and tech, though some jocks were cut as well, which lends credence to this.

WGRR, 103.5 I understand is similar to WAQZ in that it will keep its format and some staffers will be cut, but not as many as WAQZ. It should still be oldies. This is what I know.

savafan
11-02-2006, 01:04 AM
Wow, I'm disappointed. Andy was (is) a helluva guy.

Ron Madden
11-02-2006, 02:45 AM
I wish Furman well and hope he succeeds in another occupation.

Furman was always ill prepared as a Sportstalk Host. He was nothing more than a Carnival Barker, or a snake oil salesman.

Furman had little or no knowledge of any sport on the day he was hired.

Furman had little or no knowledge of any sport on the day he was fired.

I expect any Sportstalk Host to at least be a Sports Fan or at least discuss sports once in awhile.

GAC
11-02-2006, 07:02 AM
And Bill Cunningham has never said anything controversial on the air. ;)

Oh well... maybe Andy will follow in the footsteps of another former Cincy alumni? Jerry Springer.

Caveat Emperor
11-02-2006, 07:14 AM
Are you sure about these format changes, CE?

I might have 96.5 and 94.9 backwards -- either way, one of the two country stations simulcasting the STAR is going to flip to all-talk format, mostly syndicated from what I understand.

WAQZ is definately going country -- they blew the entire staff out, and they're planning to switch it to the "Wolf" Country format that Entercom uses ni other markets.

At least, that's what I've read/heard/been told.

RedsFan75
11-02-2006, 10:39 AM
I might have 96.5 and 94.9 backwards -- either way, one of the two country stations simulcasting the STAR is going to flip to all-talk format, mostly syndicated from what I understand.

WAQZ is definately going country -- they blew the entire staff out, and they're planning to switch it to the "Wolf" Country format that Entercom uses ni other markets.

At least, that's what I've read/heard/been told.

Well our local WOLF format is not one of the best country formats I've heard... I hope your guys will be better.

Here's a good quote.. " Clear Channel owns all the major radio stations and venues. Most musicians aren't aware that a few people control so much of what we hear..." Susan Tedeschi

westofyou
11-02-2006, 10:43 AM
Most musicians aren't aware that a few people control so much of what we hear..." Susan Tedeschi

I find that hard to believe, anyone muscioan who is married to a muscian (like Susan) and anyone who ever cut a record has to be somewhat aware of the corporate white washing of the airwaves.

Pure vanilla, and any artist that fails to notice that is not paying attention to something that could leverage their future earnings.

RedsFan75
11-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Agree totally, however with Susan (and Derek) it may be a bit of a burr in their saddle because the genre they play is more likely to be heard on satellite radio, Very few blues stations on your typical commercial radio.

If her quote had said, 'most people' I would wholeheartedly agree, I'd say there's a lot of people out there that don't realize how few people are actually in control of what they hear

westofyou
11-02-2006, 11:01 AM
Agree totally, however with Susan (and Derek) it may be a bit of a burr in their saddle because the genre they play is more likely to be heard on satellite radio, Very few blues stations on your typical commercial radio.

If her quote had said, 'most people' I would wholeheartedly agree, I'd say there's a lot of people out there that don't realize how few people are actually in control of what they hear

Yep, they are in the grey area, like all the Texas Country guys they have to find their nich and pound that circuit. Example Charlie Robison and his ilk never leave the SW, Both Susan and Derrek seem to come here a little more, I'm assuming that Portland is on their circuit list, this town has a serious thirst for all types of music that is off the mainstreams circuit.

Rotater Cuff
11-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Here's a good quote.. " Clear Channel owns all the major radio stations and venues. Most musicians aren't aware that a few people control so much of what we hear..." Susan Tedeschi

The Ipod is rendering all radio stations (except talk) academic. Why would anyone choose to be limited in what they hear anymore?

redsrule2500
11-02-2006, 12:01 PM
I really liked him!

this sucks, and what he said wasn't even bad! LAME.

Dom Heffner
11-02-2006, 12:15 PM
this sucks, and what he said wasn't even bad! LAME.

I think the point wasn't what he said, necessarily, but that it simply wasn't true.

Having said that, Andy said something one time that made me almost spit out my food.

When the Pete Rose controversy was happening and Johnny Bench said that he didn't belong in the hall of fame, Andy told him to shut his trap adding that, "From what I've heard, they should hang your plaque in the men's room."

Bench ended up being right, of course, but it was premature to even talk about it at the beginning of the controversy- especially having played with Rose.

Sweetstop
11-02-2006, 02:24 PM
I hate to see him go this way. He basically seems an emotional fellow with a good heart down there somewhere, who usually did the 'stir up a pot of controversy' job he was hired to do.

Dom Heffner
11-02-2006, 02:42 PM
I hate to see him go this way. He basically seems an emotional fellow with a good heart down there somewhere, who usually did the 'stir up a pot of controversy' job he was hired to do.

Controversy is one thing, but you can't call someone a racist. You don't build ratings by damaging somebody's reputation.

deltachi8
11-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Haha, that's what I was thinking, too. Randy Furman from your traffic headquarters, 1710!

Didn't Apaollo Flytrap work his brother's Venus Flytrap's shift once on WKRP?

Wait, thats wasn't real, was it....

MartyFan
11-02-2006, 02:57 PM
I just can't believe anyone cares about this soap opera...SNORE!!!!

Dom Heffner
11-02-2006, 03:37 PM
I just can't believe anyone cares about this soap opera...SNORE!!!!

I can't believe anybody would be a fan of Marty Brennamen, but hey, to each his own. :)

minus5
11-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Crap. More country in Cincinnati, just what we need in this market. I guess I am going to have to break down and get a Sirius radio for my cars.

WMR
11-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Crap. More country in Cincinnati, just what we need in this market. I guess I am going to have to break down and get a Sirius radio for my cars.

Join the revolution.

Flee the Big Satan (aka Clear Channel Broadcasting)

minus5
11-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Join the revolution.

Flee the Big Satan (aka Clear Channel Broadcasting)

I'm going to have to 97.3 was the last Cincinnati radio station that I could tolerate...not completely but at least a little.

Caveat Emperor
11-02-2006, 05:24 PM
The Ipod is rendering all radio stations (except talk) academic. Why would anyone choose to be limited in what they hear anymore?

I love my iPod, but my XM radio allows me to be exposed to new music and new artists I would've never otherwise heard.

GoGoWhiteSox
11-03-2006, 12:25 AM
Tell me about it. They can get another country station here (seriously, how many country stations does this city have), but they can't get one jazz station here. Mercy, they even have one classical station, but no jazz!! They can't even be just A LITTLE diverse as far as music goes in this city. All country, a couple of oldies, and one classical "just to mix things up a little." Pathetic. I listen to jazz, and it's practically non-existant on Cincinnati airwaves nowadays...I pretty much listen to my CD's in my car 95% of the time (only exception being when I occasionally listen to WLW and/or the Sports Animal).

Ron Madden
11-03-2006, 02:15 AM
And Bill Cunningham has never said anything controversial on the air. ;)

Oh well... maybe Andy will follow in the footsteps of another former Cincy alumni? Jerry Springer.

Bill Cunningham, Jerry Springer and Andy Furman. Wow!

Right Wing, Left Wing and Just Wing It.

When it hits the wall it's still mud. :beerme:

jmcclain19
11-03-2006, 02:30 AM
I love my iPod, but my XM radio allows me to be exposed to new music and new artists I would've never otherwise heard.

Let me echo that. I LOVE my XM - you can't get me to give it up now.

I love that there are 7-8 stations that I can rotate all day that have commerical free music that I like.

And I can throw a few eclectic ones in there for fun (I enjoy some bluesy rock from time to time & some mild top 40 to go with my multiple flavors of alternative & hard rock).

Plus all the games are a real bonus. My commute is 25 minutes now - I usually just TiVo the Reds game because it starts before I get home, and if it's close I'll rewind to the begining & watch the whole thing.

Now I can listen in for half an hour on my way home and enjoy, Or most likely, get upset over the Reds in real time.

And the MLB on XM is just excellent. I can't stand 99.9 percent of sports talk blowhards, but MLB on XM does pretty darn well keeping me interested. If they had more minor league/prospect discussion and didn't have commericals, I would be a perfect radio station.

savafan
11-03-2006, 09:56 AM
I'd just like to point out the other side of Andy a little bit.

http://www.cincypost.com/news/1997/furman042197.html

People who know Andy Furman both on and off the air realize that there are two Andy Furmans.

Best known is the Furman who co-hosts WLW-AM's ''SportsTalk,'' who's sometimes loud and obnoxious, rude, crude and inflammatory, the kind of guy you'd like to punch out if he happened to be occupying the next barstool.

That, of course, is all part of the Furman shtick, the on-air performance that's calculated to stir it up - keep people listening and calling, even if the call might end with Furman punching the disconnect button and muttering ''What an idiot'' on a 50,000-watt station.

Those who know Furman off the air realize that he's quite different when he's not in front of a microphone.

They know him as quiet, almost shy, someone who's perfectly content observering rather than being observed. They also know that he writes a column every Friday for The Post sports section and will go out of his way for complete strangers as well as friends.

In February of last year, Furman, 47, and his wife Wendy, who teaches at an elementary school in Williamstown, Ky., decided to adopt two children from Bulgaria after years of trying to have a family of their own.

Furman said he heard about the All God's Children orphanage from Kit Andrews, the WKRC (Channel 12) news anchor who had heard about the agency from an acquaintance.

After months of rigorous interviews and detailed background checks, the Furmans were approved as adoptive parents by All God's Children.

Earlier this year they were told that they could adopt two brothers, Jake, 4, and 3-year-old Alex. The boys had been left at the orphanage by a woman who said she couldn't afford to raise them, Furman said.

What follows are notes from a diary Furman kept when he and Wendy flew to Bulgaria to pick up their boys earlier this month:

Saturday, April 5: We were nervous and arrived at Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport at 4 p.m., waiting for the whirlwind to begin. We left with another Northern Kentucky couple that also was adopting two siblings. They had a big sendoff, with friends and family. We had but two people, Becky and Gilbert Jackson, who are longtime friends. That told us something, but away we went, not knowing what to expect.

We finally got under way at 6:40 p.m. on a flight to Zurich, Switzerland, which was scheduled to arrive Sunday morning at 10.

Sunday, April 6: After a layover in Zurich, we boarded a Swissair flight that took us to Sofia, Bulgaria, where we landed about 4 p.m.

All I knew about Bulgaria was to expect - perhaps - a couple of people who looked a lot like Boris and Natasha from ''Rocky and Bullwinkle.'' But our man from the All God's Children orphanage, Bozhin ''Doc'' Pandurov - yes, he is a real doctor - met us at the airport.

One minor snag when we were clearing our passports and visas. Wendy is a Canadian citizen so she had a Canadian visa. By the way, if you're planning a visit to Bulgaria, it's $23 for entering U.S. citizens and $75 for Canadians. Wendy's always costing me money.

Then it was off to the hotel, the Maria St. Louisa, a nice and relatively new place in downtown Sofia. And then we had a bite of dinner - chicken kabob, which was made with rice, chicken and potatoes - and stayed in for the night, exhausted from the flights.

Monday, April 7. We thought this would be our big day. However, Doc informed us that it was World Health Organization Day, a national holiday, so we toured the countryside with Doc as our guide. The most memorable site was Rela Mountain, which was still covered with snow as the temperatures hovered around 30 degrees.

I noticed that whenever we went downhill, Doc took the key out of the ignition. I asked why. ''To conserve gas,'' he replied. ''We have none here.''

After just a couple of days in Bulgaria, we're learning little by little to be thankful for many things that we take for granted. After our tour was complete we hit the hay early for our big day - the day we would become a family.

Tuesday, April 8. We started on the trip to Turgovishte, where the All God's Children orphanage is located, at 8 a.m. We were told it would take about three to four hours. Bulgaria is about the size of Ohio, and the trip to the orphanage was about like driving from Cincinnati to Cleveland. But poor road conditions and the snow extended the trip to five hours.

We arrived at the orphanage at 1 p.m. It is a small yellow building with a black iron fence around it. I didn't know what to think as I entered - fear, happiness, fright, why did I do this? What am I doing hear? But I hope the boys are healthy. That's all I really care about.

We walked over to the director's office and met Dr. Pentkova. We had met her last summer in Cincinnati when All God's Children had its national picnic here. We were told to give the clothes we brought for the boys to the nurse, who would dress them and bring them to us. We were also told that the boys had been informed that their mama and papa were here, and were coming to take them home.

The five-minute wait seemed like a month. Finally the door opened and the boys - Alex and Jake - ran in, sat on our laps and, in their best broken English, said, ''mama'' and ''papa.''

Nothing else mattered after that moment. I've told people for months that my wife and I were going to Bulgaria to adopt two boys. Now, the word ''adopt'' is not a part of my vocabulary. We became a family.

I know coming from me it may sound corny, but there was a reason for us to travel halfway across the world to get them. It was God's will that we be together. I thought perhaps the four of us needed each other. Now I know we do, and did . . .

The first night after we returned to Sofia was super. Experimenting in the hotel room for the boys with TV - channel surfing - MTV was a hit. The experiments continue with light switches, the bath tub and the toilet. They still marvel today as the water flushes.

It makes me think about what's really important. Perhaps we can give these kids a life - food, experiences they wouldn't have had otherwise.

I know they've already given us a life - and made us a family.