PDA

View Full Version : Watching the Cardinals go to the WS....

redsfan4445
10-19-2006, 11:49 PM
Just makes me think how MANY times they gave the Reds a chance to win the division and the Reds didnt take advantge and it might be the Reds and Tigers... sigh :(

Reds4Life
10-19-2006, 11:51 PM
No doubt the NL was horrible year this.

Detroit will dump St. Louis quickly, Tigers in 4.

George Foster
10-19-2006, 11:54 PM
God I hate the Cardinals....I hate LaRussa, I hate Prince Aldork, I hate the big German, I hate sissy boy Edmonds, I hate that guy with that queer red chin hair.....I hate them all.:thumbdown

Tom Servo
:explode: :explode: :explode:
:barf: :barf: :barf:
:bang: :bang: :bang:

goreds2
No doubt the NL was horrible year this.

It sounds good to me. Too bad Mr. Casey will not be playing. :(

goreds2
10-19-2006, 11:55 PM
God I hate the Cardinals....I hate LaRussa, I hate Prince Aldork, I hate the big German, I hate sissy boy Edmonds, I hate that guy with that queer red chin hair.....I hate them all.:thumbdown

:clap:

Caseyfan21
10-19-2006, 11:58 PM
I'm just glad the Cards pulled it out. I thought it was going to be over for sure when LaRussa took off his sunglasses for a second to look at the lineup card. I thought Randolph read his eyes and was ready to take advantage.

I wonder if the better team won this series?

jimbo
10-20-2006, 12:45 AM

I'm not so sure. I remember hearing the same thing about the Yankees-Tigers. I think the time-off for the Tigers may result in them being a little rusty in the beginning of the series. I think the Tigers will win, but I think it will take 6 games.

MartyFan
10-20-2006, 12:54 AM
Detroit will dump the Cards the same way the Yankees were "a lock".

The games still have to be played...sure with the pitching that the Tigers have they should run the table but lets not forget that the Cardinals were supposed to be chased out of the NL series with hardly a whimper.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...anything can happen and it often does.

TeamBoone
10-20-2006, 01:27 AM
I wonder if the better team won this series?

Not hardly! The luckier team won the series.

blumj
10-20-2006, 02:12 AM
I find it just a little intriguing that the Cards top 3 starting pitchers all have mediocre AL pasts, and that's being charitable. I doubt any of them come unglued at the mere sight of a DH, but perhaps it adds a little interest.

redsmetz
10-20-2006, 05:31 AM
I'll stand in the minority. My wife's from Missouri and grew up a Cardinals fan. Even though she's a Reds fan now (25 years of marriage will do that to you!), I know she and her family will be excited. Good luck to both teams - it should be an interesting Series.

terminator
10-20-2006, 08:54 AM
I rooted for the Cardinals against New York, because, well, the Mets were from New York.

I'll root for the Cardinals against the Tigers, because I just cannot bring myself to root for an American League team. I'm not sure I'd even call what they play over there in the junior circuit, baseball, really, what with all of the pitchers drinking coffee while their teammates bat, the managers falling asleep because they have nothing to do and innings that go on and on as they bat around time and time again. I think it's a bit more like cricket. :p:

dabvu2498
10-20-2006, 09:02 AM

You would be fired from Fox for the above.

MississippiRed
10-20-2006, 10:15 AM

Go Tigers! I've been thinking the whole time, the Cards can't win, they shouldn't have even won their division. About to puke is correct.

traderumor
10-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Injuries decimated the Mets pitching. When you are forced to go with Maine and Perez in games 6 and 7 and you won the most games in the league, that sure isn't what got you there. From a rotation perspective, the Cards probably have the best chance of the two teams right now.

macro
10-20-2006, 11:07 AM
I certainly hope that the Tigers in it in four, but I can't help thinking about the 1990 Fall Classic. The Oakland A's were supposed to sweep, but got swept instead.

Caseyfan21
10-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Not hardly! The luckier team won the series.

Exactly....I was just playing off 1990 when LaRussa said "The better team did not win this series."

Seriously, I don't mind the Cards players but I just cannot stand Tony LaGenius. Watching him choke most every postseason has been great. Hopefully it will just take a few more game for the LaRussa club to choke.

That and the pompous Cards fans I've met really force me to root for the Tigers. When I went to a game in St. Louis in early September, I was sitting next to a fan (before the Cards collapse) and he was going on and on about how great this year was because the Cards weren't playing too well so the St. Louis fans actually get a pennant race and it's much more exciting than killing all the teams like last year. I couldn't believe he was saying this stuff and it was such a relief when he decided to go sit in his other seats in the 4th inning.

blumj
10-20-2006, 11:46 AM
I certainly hope that the Tigers in it in four
I don't, not in four. There's too much time left before pitchers and catchers.

Newport Red
10-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Exactly....I was just playing off 1990 when LaRussa said "The better team did not win this series."

Seriously, I don't mind the Cards players but I just cannot stand Tony LaGenius. Watching him choke most every postseason has been great. Hopefully it will just take a few more game for the LaRussa club to choke.

That and the pompous Cards fans I've met really force me to root for the Tigers. When I went to a game in St. Louis in early September, I was sitting next to a fan (before the Cards collapse) and he was going on and on about how great this year was because the Cards weren't playing too well so the St. Louis fans actually get a pennant race and it's much more exciting than killing all the teams like last year. I couldn't believe he was saying this stuff and it was such a relief when he decided to go sit in his other seats in the 4th inning.

Well, I predict his World Series winning percentage will take another hit.

tsj017
10-20-2006, 01:39 PM

Cosign.

Even if the Cardinals lose, we still have to hear all about how great they are for another week. Gag.

Jr's Boy
10-20-2006, 02:58 PM
Had Pedro been healthy this series would have had a totally different outcome.

NJReds
10-20-2006, 03:18 PM

I don't know. The guy who replaced him (Perez) threw pretty well. In fact, Maine and Perez gave pitched 12 innings and allowed 1 earned run in games 6 and 7.

If Wright had hit at all, the Mets would've won. If the clock didn't strike midnight and turn Valentin back into a pumpkin, the Mets would've won.

Pedro was up and down this year. He's not the Pedro of old.

Jr's Boy
10-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Cards as a whole were batting .210 against Pedro this year.

MississippiRed
10-20-2006, 05:28 PM

I respect Puhols ability, but I definitely "mind" most of the Cardinal players. The best part of Chavez' catch last night to me was doubling Edmonds off of first. And don't get me started on Eckstein, that little pest. I cheer every time he makes an out.

Belliard, now he might be good pickup for the Reds.

Matt700wlw
10-20-2006, 05:36 PM
How about Jim Edmonds?

Falls City Beer
10-20-2006, 05:57 PM
About the last team on earth I'd want to face right now is the St. Louis Cardinals. They are like pact-with-the-devil hot.

Matt700wlw
10-20-2006, 06:22 PM
About the last team on earth I'd want to face right now is the St. Louis Cardinals. They are like pact-with-the-devil hot.

But can it last?

Time will tell...

vaticanplum
10-20-2006, 06:29 PM

FCB, the Tigers just beat the Yankees in four and swept the A's while the Cardinals won over arguably weaker teams, first in four games, then in seven. I'm not denying that the Cardinals are riding a hot streak and playing pretty well at the moment, but it's tough to ignore their competition.

Falls City Beer
10-20-2006, 06:46 PM
FCB, the Tigers just beat the Yankees in four and swept the A's while the Cardinals won over arguably weaker teams, first in four games, then in seven. I'm not denying that the Cardinals are riding a hot streak and playing pretty well at the moment, but it's tough to ignore their competition.

The A's offense sucks ferociously. And the Yankees' pitching is dogcrap.

The Cards have two starters and the best remaining bullpen in MLB. I've always believed that's all it takes to win the big one--two starters and a bully.

I think the Cardinals beat two better teams than those the Tigers beat.

westofyou
10-20-2006, 06:48 PM
The Cards have two starters and the best remaining bullpen in MLB. I've always believed that's all it takes to win the big one--two starters and a bully.

The Tigers BP blows doors off the Cards.

vaticanplum
10-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Wasn't the A's offense second in the AL after the All-Star break? And pitching was not the Yankees' problem over one hundred thousand scoreless innings in the ALCS. The Detroit pitching shut down that unbelievable offense, plain and simple.

I think Detroit has all-around better starting pitching and offense than the Cardinals. The Cardinals may have a bullpen edge, but I just haven't seen enough of it to be convinced that it will hold up, and I'm also not sure how much work the Detroit bullpen will need anyway.

A hot streak is one thing...but do you honestly think that the Cardinals are a better team than the Tigers?

Falls City Beer
10-20-2006, 06:51 PM

Kinney, Johnson, Thompson and Wainwright don't light up the gun like the Tigers' arms, but so what. They've ultimately been just as good the last three weeks as the Tigers' pen.

westofyou
10-20-2006, 06:52 PM
Kinney, Johnson, Thompson and Wainwright don't light up the gun like the Tigers' arms, but so what. They've ultimately been just as good the last three weeks as the Tigers' pen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/Statistics/Team/playerstats?team=det&seasonYear=2006&split=128&seasonType=3&type=reg&pagetype=pitching

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/Statistics/Team/playerstats?team=stl&pagetype=pitching&split=128

Falls City Beer
10-20-2006, 06:55 PM
A hot streak is one thing...but do you honestly think that the Cardinals are a better team than the Tigers?

Maybe not over 162 games, but I'd take a healthy Cards' offense a million times over the Tigers'.

Jr's Boy
10-21-2006, 01:57 AM

Amen to that.

Caseyfan21
10-21-2006, 02:04 AM
I respect Puhols ability, but I definitely "mind" most of the Cardinal players. The best part of Chavez' catch last night to me was doubling Edmonds off of first. And don't get me started on Eckstein, that little pest. I cheer every time he makes an out.

Belliard, now he might be good pickup for the Reds.

Out of the Cards players, I guess the ones that get under my skin are Scott Spiezio with that stupid red excuse of a goatee, Edmonds because he is a hot dog, and Duncan cause he kills the Reds and is a coach's kid (didn't you always dislike the coach's kid back in the little league days cause he was always favored? :laugh: ). Pujols is a great player and a guy I respect even though he kills the Reds. Eckstein is a pest but he always hustles and gets the most of his ability so I respect him at least. Yeah, I did enjoy seeing Edmonds get doubled up, he is probably one of my least favorite players in MLB.

NJReds
10-21-2006, 09:25 AM

Wainwright has great stuff, but he nearly yakked up Game 7. If Willie Randolph hadn't thrown out an injured, rusty Cliff Floyd for a Kirk Gibson-Roy Hobbs moment, the Mets probably tie that game.

jmac
10-21-2006, 09:45 AM
The Cards have two starters

if your 2 starters are suppan and carpentar then problem is.....they dont pitch till games 3 and 4. Which could mean a 2 nothing deficit before they ever take mound.

Falls City Beer
10-21-2006, 02:23 PM
if your 2 starters are suppan and carpentar then problem is.....they dont pitch till games 3 and 4. Which could mean a 2 nothing deficit before they ever take mound.

Fair point. Being down 2-0 would be a huge problem for the Cards, that's true.

I guess they just pray for more miracles from Weaver in Game 2.

Falls City Beer
10-21-2006, 02:25 PM
Wainwright has great stuff, but he nearly yakked up Game 7. If Willie Randolph hadn't thrown out an injured, rusty Cliff Floyd for a Kirk Gibson-Roy Hobbs moment, the Mets probably tie that game.

The two hits Wainwright surrendered were little excuse-me bloopers. He then proceeded to K the second best hitter in the NL on three straight pitches.

gilpdawg
10-21-2006, 02:29 PM
It sounds good to me. Too bad Mr. Casey will not be playing. :(
Sean is playing, isn't he? Last night on BBTN they said he was ready to go.

Matt700wlw
10-21-2006, 02:35 PM
DH (for now)

vaticanplum
10-21-2006, 02:45 PM
The two hits Wainwright surrendered were little excuse-me bloopers. He then proceeded to K the second best hitter in the NL on three straight pitches.

I think FCB is wearing some redbird-tinted glasses lately, but I have to agree with him on this. Wainwright loaded the bases, but his stuff was nasty. I thought he looked great. People can talk about Randolph's managerial decisions or say that Beltran didn't come through or whatever, but that inning looked like a plain old good pitching vs. good hitting battle to me.

Strikes Out Looking
10-21-2006, 03:56 PM

If the Reds would have attempted to play baseball in California rather than sightsee, the whole NL post season would have had a different outcome.

I agree with each and every Cardinal basher on this board. I hate and despise them. I hope Albert Pujols pulls a Bill Buckner and his career never recovers.