PDA

View Full Version : World Series Game 1 thread

vaticanplum
10-21-2006, 07:33 PM
Let me begin by saying that this opening sequence is the worst, most uneducated, most sexist thing I've ever seen.

Play ball!!!!

mth123
10-21-2006, 07:52 PM
Brandon Inge need to dye that thing on his chin red. Should even things up.

TeamCasey
10-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Goosebumps. I just can't get over Sean Casey jogging out there.

mth123
10-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Bob Seger being mainstream enough to sing America the Beautiful at the World Series makes me fell older than anything tha's happened in a while. What next? The Stones at the Super Bowl?

MrCinatit
10-21-2006, 08:08 PM
Bob Seger being mainstream enough to sing America the Beautiful at the World Series makes me fell older than anything tha's happened in a while. What next? The Stones at the Super Bowl?

...or Aerosmith at the SuperBowl with N'Synch.

Not that we will ever see that happen.

Falls City Beer
10-21-2006, 08:10 PM
Let me begin by saying that this opening sequence is the worst, most uneducated, most sexist thing I've ever seen.

On Fox?

Never.

Falls City Beer
10-21-2006, 08:12 PM
About the only thing that's going to help Reyes tonight is the size of Tiger Stadium.

Falls City Beer
10-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Verlander's K-ed a few, but he doesn't look sharp at all. But then, neither does Reyes.

Falls City Beer
10-21-2006, 08:45 PM
Verlander is throwing like a junkballer. He needs throw his fastball more often.

RedFanAlways1966
10-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Oh-oh.. pitch to Albert with 2 outs and 1st base open. 2R bomb to RF after a Duncan run scoring double. 4-1 game.

Falls City Beer
10-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Told y'all. Detroit doesn't have a pitcher capable of quietening this offense.

OnBaseMachine
10-21-2006, 08:53 PM

:rolleyes:

Looks like Poo-holes has been handing his HGH out to his teammates.

Falls City Beer
10-21-2006, 08:54 PM
:rolleyes:

Looks like Poo-holes has been handing his HGH out to his teammates.

Just never, ever mess with a team that's gotten healthy and riding a hot streak.

Verlander looks like crap.

Falls City Beer
10-21-2006, 09:07 PM
They had a week to set up their rotations and Leyland goes with Verlander. Why?

They need to pull him right now. But it may not matter.

Falls City Beer
10-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Cards should sweep this. I really don't like Detroit's offense.

So much for AL dominance; at least that's good news.

Falls City Beer
10-21-2006, 09:44 PM
A laugher. I thought the Cards would win, but I didn't think it would be this easy.

George Foster
10-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Exactly what is the baseline? I mean they were in the grass?

TeamBoone
10-21-2006, 09:53 PM
OK, am I out of my mind?

Roland went waaaay out of the baseline to run into Inge, yet they call Inge for interference?

I'm disgusted by that call and not one of the announcers commented on it. Am I the only one who saw it that way?

George Foster
10-21-2006, 09:54 PM
OK, am I out of my mind?

Roland went waaaay out of the baseline to run into Inge, yet they call Inge for interference?

I'm disgusted by that call and not one of the announcers commented on it. Am I the only one who saw it that way?

Read my quote....is this baseline thing totally subjective?

mth123
10-21-2006, 09:55 PM
The runner establishes the baseline based on how he rounds the bag. Once he make the turn, its a straight line to home. On that play, Inge was in the baseline, but he really couldn't have known it until he was on the ground.

George Foster
10-21-2006, 09:55 PM
They had a week to set up their rotations and Leyland goes with Verlander. Why?

They need to pull him right now. But it may not matter.

Oh no..... his confidence will be shaken forever.....like if we brought up Homer this year and he had a bad outing or 2:laugh:

TeamBoone
10-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Even if it were subjective, that's like calling a strike that's a foot outside.

That was just a horrible call. I can't believe that no one said that!

George Foster
10-21-2006, 09:57 PM
The runner establishes the baseline based on how he rounds the bag. Once he make the turn, its a straight line to home. On that play, Inge was in the baseline, but he really couldn't have known it until he was on the ground.

I did not know this. So if I was standing 3 inches from the dugout steps and he really really rounded 3rd....I'm in the baseline?

TeamBoone
10-21-2006, 09:58 PM

I don't agree that Inge was in the baseline.... it looked like Roland intentionally went a tad out of his way to run into him. How is a player to know that the guy is going to round 3rd base 4-6 feet outside?

I agree they set the baseline, but it should be reasonable... and that wasn't. I've watched it three times and still think it was a horrible call.

TeamBoone
10-21-2006, 09:59 PM
OK, they just showed it again.... I swear Roland did it on purpose. Inge was AT LEAST 6 feet outside the 3rd base line. Now they're calling it obstruction.

Aronchis
10-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Yawn, another boring game in a boring playoffs.

George Foster
10-21-2006, 10:01 PM
I don't agree that Inge was in the baseline.... it looked like Roland intentionally went a tad out of his way to run into him. How is a player to know that the guy is going to round 3rd base 4-6 feet outside?

I agree they set the baseline, but it should be reasonable... and that wasn't. I've watched it three times and still think it was a horrible call.

I agree....however the Tigers bats are a week cold...it won't matter anyway.
I would of had 2 simulated games this past week if I were Leyland.

mth123
10-21-2006, 10:01 PM
I did not know this. So if I was standing 3 inches from the dugout steps and he really really rounded 3rd....I'm in the baseline?

I guess so. McCarver is talking about it. But I think the ump has some judgement too. If he went way out of his way to round the bag it probably wouldn't be considered the baseline. But if its his normal momentum, then yes.

I wish there was an umpire on-line. I'm not an expert. I just remember seeing this before and thought the same as you did.

George Foster
10-21-2006, 10:04 PM
I guess so. McCarver is talking about it. But I think the ump has some judgement too. If he went way out of his way to round the bag it probably wouldn't be considered the baseline. But f its his normal momentum, then yes.

I wish there was an umpire on-line. I'm not an expert. I just remember seeing this before and thiought the same as you did.

I umpire little league and pony league games...I would have not made any ruling. Incidental contact. Rolen could have went back to 3rd.

TeamBoone
10-21-2006, 10:05 PM
I would of had 2 simulated games this past week if I were Leyland.

I agree. They haven't played in six days. Once they get warmed up again, they'll be fine.

George Foster
10-21-2006, 10:05 PM
Why are they pitching Rodney in a mop up role?

George Foster
10-21-2006, 10:06 PM
I agree. They haven't played in six days. Once they get warmed up again, they'll be fine.

It might be game 4 when they are down 0-3....I hope not.

RedFanAlways1966
10-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Rule 7.08 Any runner is out when-
(a) (1) He runs more than three feet away from a direct line between bases to avoid being tagged unless his action is to avoid interference with a fielder fielding a batted ball.

Obviously this was not the case. It is a judgement call by the umpire as to whether Rolen hit Inge on purpose. We all know that runners take turns at the three bases when anticipating a run to the next base.

On another note... Inge needs to be aware of the situation. After his errant throw he needs to be sure of where he is at and make sure he is not in the way of any runners. Easy for me to say... but truthful in baseball.

M2
10-21-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm starting to wonder if the Tigers fans in the stadium have seen a live baseball game before tonight. They're acting like soft liners and obvious foul balls have a chance of being hits.

StillFunkyB
10-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Boo

I wanted the Tiggers to keep LaLoosa's streak going....

RedFanAlways1966
10-21-2006, 11:02 PM
Trash the Tigers broom.. it won't be used in this series.

Cards 1 game - Tigers 0 games

RedFanAlways1966
10-21-2006, 11:03 PM
As mentioned in another thread a week or so ago... this is the 1st win for an NL Central team in a World Series game.

mth123
10-21-2006, 11:12 PM
Huge win for st. Louis. Now at worst they go to St. Louis tied 1-1 with Carpenter and Suppan in Games 3 and 4.

Phhhl
10-22-2006, 12:46 AM
The Reds lost the first game of the 1990 NLCS at home. The Pirates beat Jose Rijo. I remember leaving the stadium that night thinking it was over.

It wasn't.

GAC
10-22-2006, 06:14 AM

Huh? What are you basing that claim on? One game?

No one denies that Reyes pitched a heck of a game, and that Verlander, who has struggled since the tail end of the regular season has struggled, pitched badly. In fact, looking at his performance, the game 1 outcome was predictable. The Cards had a very good shot against this rookie.

But overall, the Tiger offense is ranked higher then the Cards who struggled to produce in the "weaker" NL.

And this Tiger team made it to the post-season by beating two very good (elite) offensive teams in MLB (can't say that about the Cards) in the Yanks and Oakland. And with a pitching staff that produced 95 wins themselves in the regular season.

Acknowledge that Verlander has struggled since the tail end of the regular season, but in the 2006 Post-season...

Kenny Rogers 2 games 15 IP 7 H 14 K .93 WHIP ERA 0.00
Jeremy Bonderman 2 games 15 IP 11 H 7 K .93 WHIP ERA 3.00

Pitching Stats....

ERA.... Detroit #1 in MLB (3.84) St Louis #16 4.84

ERs allowed.... Detroit #1 (618) St Louis 14th (721)

OB%.... Detroit #5 (.321) St Louis #15 (.337)

SLG%.... Detroit #3 (.405) St Louis #23 (443)

OPS.... Detroit #3 (.725) St Louis #20 (.779)

TBs..... Detroit #2 (2239) St Louis #20 (2432)

In fact, if you compare every major pitching stat, Detroit exceeds the Cards.

Falls City Beer
10-22-2006, 10:07 AM
The Cards looked like men among boys last night. There is something to be said for having six years of playoff experience to bring to the field.

Rogers will probably give the Cards a tougher time tonight, but I don't see why Weaver can't rip through Detroit's almost completely right-handed lineup. Plus the Cards have a rested bullpen for tonight.

Have I mentioned how little I like Detroit's offense.

GIK
10-22-2006, 10:21 AM
Yes, we know you dislike the Tigers.

I hope Leyland laid into them last night for how much they showed up for Game 1. There's two paths the Tigers can take now and I hope they decide to wake up.

I'm sticking with them and bet they're focused and ready to move forward.

Tigers in 6.

Falls City Beer
10-22-2006, 10:22 AM
I'm rooting for the Tigers. I just dislike their offense.

GAC
10-22-2006, 10:28 AM
The Tigers also lost Game #1 to the Yankees. ;)

mth123
10-22-2006, 10:54 AM
The Tigers lost game 1 at home with their ace on the mound. St. Louis used the #4 guy. St. Louis still has its ace for game 3 and its hottest pitcher for game 4 - both at home. Big edge to St. Louis right now.

I'm not really rooting either way, but I do agree that Detroit doesn't seem to have a championship caliber offense.

I know there is a lot of hate for Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds and Spezio's chin on here, but its harder to like Rogers than anyone on either team IMO.

westofyou
10-22-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm rooting for the Tigers. I just dislike their offense.

Hard to love guys that hack on the 1st 2 or 3 pitches with fervour.

Heath
10-22-2006, 11:09 AM
The Tigers after the Cards went ahead 7-1 looked like they had a dinner date in Greektown after the game.

They looked rusty. The drop hits against the A's & the Yanks were falling into Cardinal gloves.

If any manager can get them rolling, it will be Leyland.

I expect a different Tigers team tonight.

GOOCH
10-22-2006, 02:58 PM
Folks,

Inge has no right to be anywhere near the baseline. He isn't part of the play. So obstruction (not interference) is the appropriate call. Inge didn't do it on purpose, but it really is an obvious call.

Incidental contact? Rolen fell down.

Rolen rounds third and Inge is clearly in his path. Rolen didn't avoid him because, as he said in his post-game press conference, he was looking at the ball that got past the catcher to see if he should continue home.