PDA

View Full Version : Would Tressel ever leave the Bucks to coach the Browns (PD article says he might)

max venable
10-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Here's the link: Tressel to Browns? (http://www.cleveland.com/osufootball/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/116150644291450.xml&coll=2)

THAT would suck.

redsfan30
10-22-2006, 11:24 PM
I don't see it happening. He is a teacher, not a babysitter.

traderumor
10-22-2006, 11:37 PM
I hope Tressel is smart enough to realize that his schtick probably won't hold much water in the NFL. He has a college coach mentality and I honestly don't think his temperament would fit well in the NFL.

flyer85
10-22-2006, 11:59 PM
seems to me that OSU is the better job

Caseyfan21
10-23-2006, 12:03 AM
I can't imagine why he would leave the best head coaching job in Ohio. Yes, the OSU head coaching job is a better job than the Brows or the Bengals. I think if Jim Tressel wants to change jobs he should have just run for governor this year, he would have won.

I don't really buy this source close to the team line either as it just seems like someone is speculating. I have a friend on Tressel's staff...maybe he can give me a good soundbite to run to the press with. We already survived one bullet keeping Thad in town when his supposed dream job opened up, I think Gene Smith will do whatever it takes to keep Tress in town as well. I'm not worried whatsoever though.

Highlifeman21
10-23-2006, 12:10 AM
I hope Tressel is smart enough to realize that his schtick probably won't hold much water in the NFL. He has a college coach mentality and I honestly don't think his temperament would fit well in the NFL.

See Spurrier, Steve. The only difference between these two is that Tressel has little to no offensive philosophy by any stretch of the imagination. In the NFL, you can't get a 7-10 lead and sit on it, rely on your defense, and run it up the middle for consecutive series of 3 and outs.

GAC
10-23-2006, 07:33 AM
Tressel has his dream job IMO. No way he leaves OSU.

But Carthon needs to be gone BIG TIME in Cleveland. They are battling injures AGAIN, and as usual to their O-line; but they have talent up there. Their offensive scheme/play calling is so predictable and ho-hum it's ridiculous.

Anyone who watched the first half of the Bengals-Carolina game yesterday knows what happens to your offense when your O-line plays poorly. That has been a consistency in Cleveland, and losing Pro Bowler Bentley really hurt this line.

Can Crennel turn the Browns around? He's been down it any number of times before in the NFL -- first with the New York Giants, then with the New England Patriots, the New York Jets and the Patriots again. All of those teams were struggling when Crennel arrived as an assistant with a new or nearly new coaching staff, and he was instrumental in helping that turn around.

What pees off most Brown fans is that we've been in a majority of the games we've played this year (other then the Bengal game). We lost....

19-14 (N.O.) (painful loss)
34-17 (Bengals)
15-14 (Ravens) (very, very painful loss)
20-12 (Panthers)
17-7 (Broncos)

We simply find ways to shoot ourselves in the foot and lose.

But his blind loyalty to Carthon (for whatever reason) could cost him his job.

LoganBuck
10-23-2006, 09:03 AM
No way would Tressel leave. He just signed a massive contract, and the buy out alone would be cost prohibitive for an NFL team. I don't see it happening. My guess is that it is probably someone that has alliance to another DI team, that wants to try to hurt OSU recruiting. This year there is really nothing to use against OSU. Pete Carroll has to put up with this every year.

paintmered
10-23-2006, 09:44 AM
OSU doesn't need to worry about Tressel leaving so much as OSU needs to worry about keeping Nancy Zimpher away.

The rumors here are it's a done deal and Queen Nancy is making the trip up I-71 after the end of the school year.

Unassisted
10-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Tressel gained a decade of halo effect from winning the national championship in '02. The job he has now will be his for life, just like Paterno's, if he wins a second title. He'd never get that kind of security in the NFL.

Reds4Life
10-23-2006, 11:06 AM
OSU doesn't need to worry about Tressel leaving so much as OSU needs to worry about keeping Nancy Zimpher away.

The rumors here are it's a done deal and Queen Nancy is making the trip up I-71 after the end of the school year.

Please, please, please let this be true. I'll dance a jig in the street the day that woman leaves.

redsfan30
10-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Please, please, please let this be true. I'll dance a jig in the street the day that woman leaves.

And I'll drive to Columbus and spit in her face the day that woman gets anywhere near the Ohio State campus.

Chip R
10-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Tressel has his dream job IMO. No way he leaves OSU.

Probably not but in sports you want to play against the best there is to offer and I would guess it's the same for coaches. That's probably why Spurrier left Florida and Saban left LSU. They wanted to coach at the highest level against the best players. Tressel could have stayed at Youngstown St. and been king there. But he wanted to coach the best players against the best teams. That is what coaching in the pros is.

Besides, if they win the title this year, he may feel he has nothing to prove at tOSU. Expectations will be higher and even though tOSU fans are known for their patience and understanding ;) nothing but a national championship will be acceptable. He won't probably go to another school because there's really fewer schools that are more prestigious football-wise than tOSU. And, if what paint said is true, having Zimpher as president may hinder his recruiting somewhat. He's been known to recruit some players with questionable character and if some of them run into legal problems, there could be trouble for the football program.

Spring~Fields
10-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Losing is acceptable in Cleveland and Cincinnati, I just don't think that Tresell would be a good fit, he will be better off at Ohio State where losing is unacceptable and winning is expected.

Roy Tucker
10-23-2006, 01:07 PM
I can see this happening.

When I was a kid, we lived in Berea OH. My best friend lived a couple doors down from Lou Groza. Groza had a son Jeff that was a year younger than us. Jeff hung out with Jimmy Tressel a lot. Occasionally we'd all get to shag balls for Lou Groza and some of the other Browns there. Tressel's dad was Lee Tressel, a coaching legend at Baldwin-Wallace College. Tressel has deep Cleveland and Cleveland Browns roots.

I think Tressel still has some things to prove at tOSU. But I could see a Browns job appealing to him down the road a bit.

Puffy
10-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Crennel isn't going anywhere. The Browns have Phil Savage now and they are getting the players they need to implement Crennel's favored style of defense - once they get that moving in the right direction things will change. But Crennel will get another year, and with Savage things will be righted soon enough.

LoganBuck
10-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Tressel's contract would be a big pile of cash to buy out. Probably $5 Million to Ohio State, plus whatever he would demand in compensation. I doubt any NFL team would want to cough up enough.

Heath
10-23-2006, 01:41 PM
What does Nancy Zimpher need at Ohio State?

:dunno:

Heath
10-23-2006, 01:45 PM
and, oh BTW, Jim Tressel's the next Woody Hayes in Ohio. He could run for governor right now.

Kirk Ferentz would be the guy that would come to Cleveland - but not for a couple of more years. I would think the Crennel's got this year and next year to make improvements. Carthon's gone after this year.

No matter what playcall you make, if your line can't stop the rush, might as well punt on 2nd down.

Reds4Life
10-23-2006, 03:31 PM

She was a dean there before, she's also personal friends with the retiring OSU President.

You guys think Karen was bad, wait until you get a load of Nancy.

SeeinRed
10-23-2006, 04:02 PM

She won't be happy until she takes down every top college sports program.

Heath
10-23-2006, 04:35 PM
She was a dean there before, she's also personal friends with the retiring OSU President.

You guys think Karen was bad, wait until you get a load of Nancy.

Karen's not too bad - she talked tough going in, but a few weeks of what the athletic department requests, the medical center's abilities, and the correlation of the biggest alumni base in the country (read $$$$$) set her pretty straight.

She's no Gordon Gee.

Matt700wlw
10-23-2006, 04:45 PM
Tressel's used to winning.....Cleveland isn't.

I'd stay put.

traderumor
10-23-2006, 06:12 PM
See Spurrier, Steve. The only difference between these two is that Tressel has little to no offensive philosophy by any stretch of the imagination. In the NFL, you can't get a 7-10 lead and sit on it, rely on your defense, and run it up the middle for consecutive series of 3 and outs.Not so sure about that. The Steelers have been very successful under Cowher with that very philosophy.

Caseyfan21
10-23-2006, 07:08 PM

I don't think it's a done deal. I talked to someone familiar with the search committee last week and although I didn't ask about specific names they gave the impression the committee still had not made any decisions.

That being said, I still think she will end up here and will start wrecking the OSU athletic programs soon enough.

She'll probably run Jim Tressel out of town and then he can go take the Browns job.

Matt700wlw
10-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Losing is acceptable in Cleveland and Cincinnati, I just don't think that Tresell would be a good fit, he will be better off at Ohio State where losing is unacceptable and winning is expected.

I don't think losing is so acceptable in Cincinnati anymore...

paintmered
10-23-2006, 07:26 PM
I don't think it's a done deal. I talked to someone familiar with the search committee last week and although I didn't ask about specific names they gave the impression the committee still had not made any decisions.

That being said, I still think she will end up here and will start wrecking the OSU athletic programs soon enough.

She'll probably run Jim Tressel out of town and then he can go take the Browns job.

According to the rumor I heard from several people, (and it's just that, a rumor) the decision was made this past weekend.

Reds4Life
10-23-2006, 07:36 PM

I'm not a Nancy defender, I can't stand the woman, but I think she's probably learned to keep her mouth shut after the Huggins fiasco. She doesn’t go out in public without armed bodyguards, that's how much she is hated here. She might have won the battle (with Huggins) but she lost the war (with the fans, alum, public).

Her actions have pretty much ruined her in this city, no matter what she does; people will never get over what she's done. It would be best for her, and for the University, if she would just move on.

Caseyfan21
10-24-2006, 12:32 AM
According to the rumor I heard from several people, (and it's just that, a rumor) the decision was made this past weekend.

Very interesting if true. Yeah, I had talked to my friend early last week and unfortunately I probably won't have an opportunity to talk with them for quite awhile as they are on vacation for a few weeks and I don't see them on a regular basis. I'm sure it won't be announced until everything is finalized and judging from stories of past searches it will all be kept extremely hush hush. I heard for one of the previous searches (before Holbrook) they even flew someone in, interviewed them, and flew them out with no one but the current president and committee knowing until well after the fact. None of this stuff gets out until well after the fact so I'm sure we won't hear anything official until the OSU higher ups want us to.

If true, hopefully Nancy has learned her lesson because there are a lot of people here at OSU from the Cincinnati area who have heard of what she did there. I'll have to tell my friend from UC about this rumor, it will probably be like X-mas for him.

WVRed
10-24-2006, 08:45 AM
Since Carthon was just mentioned in this thread, figured id post it here rather than start another thread.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2636626

Carthon fired in second season running offense
ESPN.com

The one-win Cleveland Browns, among the worst offenses in the NFL the last two seasons, fired offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon on Monday night.

Browns owner Randy Lerner, general manager Phil Savage and former Brown great and team consultant Jim Brown spoke with head coach Romeo Crennel during Cleveland's bye week about replacing Carthon, a source told ESPN Insider's Jeremy Green. Crennel was opposed to a change and stuck with Carthon for Sunday's home game against Denver. But after another dismal offensive performance and speculation that Crennel might indeed lose his job after the season if he did not acquiesce with the front office, the decision was made to dismiss Carthon.

Assistant head coach/offensive line coach Jeff Davidson will take over play-calling duties for now, with an assist from Crennel, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports. Davidson is a former Patriots offensive assistant whom Crennel took with him to Cleveland.

The Browns will have no official comment until Tuesday.

Carthon was in his second season as the Browns' offensive coordinator. He came to Cleveland after serving in the same capacity under Bill Parcells in Dallas for the 2003 and 2004 seasons.

Under Carthon's direction, the Browns' offense has scored 88 points (fifth worst in the league) in six games and averaged an NFL-worst 245.2 yards a game. Cleveland finished last season last in points scored (14.5 per game) and 26th in overall yards.

Cleveland, at 1-5 in last place in the AFC North following Sunday's 17-7 loss to the Broncos, plays host to the Jets (4-3) on Sunday.

Jeremy Green, director of NFL scouting for Scouts Inc., contributed to this report.

traderumor
10-24-2006, 09:08 AM

Well, lets see. ESPN did its level best to wreck the OSU athletic programs, and it lost. Jim O'Brien tried, and it seems that things turned out ok, well better than ok, more like outstanding, Maurice Clarett finds himself in a jail cell among his many tricks which included telling all that was supposedly going to take down the football program. So, I'm pretty sure there is no incoming President that is bigger than OSU athletics either. Not sure if I'm necessarily proud of that fact as an alum, but OSU athletics is quite the gargantuan and has been able to withstand NCAA investigations with modest damage to the program.

Plus, if Zimpher was on her way, do you think that the topic of what happened at UC might just have come up in the discussions? Unless she has supernatural powers that allow her to wield her wicked spells once she is inside of an organization, I don't think any dramatic effect would be felt on the athletic programs.

Plus, Holbrook has already left her legacy for raising standards for incoming athletes, and look at the condition of the two high-profile programs. They are led by coaches with track records of integrity and are recruiting highly ranked recruits to put the programs on top that put them at the top on a national scale.

GAC
10-24-2006, 10:32 AM

Even if this woman was to get the job, there is no way they are going to allow her to wreck the athletic program. Not with the storied tradition at OSU. The athletic program brings alot of loot to the university.

Columbus is not Cincinnati. She would not be able to show her face around town.

Heath
10-24-2006, 10:39 AM
The next coach in Cleveland will need some experience at a head coaching level. That's probably the only way its going to work.

Heath
10-24-2006, 10:41 AM
Even if this woman was to get the job, there is no way they are going to allow her to wreck the athletic program. Not with the storied tradition at OSU. The athletic program brings alot of loot to the university.

I'm sure that the "riot act" as been written. The people that I know that are affiliated with OSU say that the 3 hours on Saturday give the University free advertising and that it only helps the academia of the University.

GAC
10-24-2006, 10:49 AM
The next coach in Cleveland will need some experience at a head coaching level. That's probably the only way its going to work.

I wondering if the Browns might now try to find a "home" for newly fired Jim Fassell? Yuck!

Caseyfan21
10-24-2006, 12:17 PM

I agree, Columbus is pretty much defined by OSU. UC is just a small part of Cincinnati.

But did anyone think Nancy could run Hugs out of town when she got that job? If I remember correctly (and I'm not a huge UC follower) Huggs was pretty popular in Cincinnati and although he had his opponents I don't think anyone thought he could be taken down until he decided to retire.

Tress and Matta are both squeaky clean but I just wonder if they make a mistake (like Huggs) will the same thing happen to them?

BuckWoody
10-24-2006, 12:28 PM
I wondering if the Browns might now try to find a "home" for newly fired Jim Fassell? Yuck!
If the Browns are patient, I think Art Shell and Denny Green may be available after the season. :evil:

Roy Tucker
10-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Huggins was much more vulnerable to being deposed than Tressel is.

Huggins had a track record of recruiting borderline players, took a lot of heat from national media for a reputation of thuggery and low graduation rates, many UC players had lots of off-court antics, and his DUI (and his assistants) certainly didn't help. It was conceivable that a university president could take him down.

Tressel currently runs a clean and very successful program. He wears a sweater vest, the team sings "Carmen Ohio", and things are just peachy. It would take a long string of splattering mud on the fenders of the current OSU platinum Mercedes of a program for him to be vulnerable.

Spring~Fields
10-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Tress and Matta are both squeaky clean but I just wonder if they make a mistake (like Huggs) will the same thing happen to them?

Yes, if one of them did something that threatened the "golden goose", OSU would get rid of them. Just as GAC is implying above, sports at OSU is "big business" and they are not going to let someone, the lady in question or a coach trash their money machine.

GAC
10-24-2006, 04:10 PM
I agree, Columbus is pretty much defined by OSU. UC is just a small part of Cincinnati.

But did anyone think Nancy could run Hugs out of town when she got that job? If I remember correctly (and I'm not a huge UC follower) Huggs was pretty popular in Cincinnati and although he had his opponents I don't think anyone thought he could be taken down until he decided to retire.

Hugg's DUI made her job easier.

And Maurice Clarett, and his accusations, couldn't derail Tressell and his program. ;)

Danny Serafini
10-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Why exactly is there so much Zimpher hate? Is it just because she dumped Huggins, or is there more?

Heath
10-24-2006, 05:15 PM
Why exactly is there so much Zimpher hate? Is it just because she dumped Huggins, or is there more?

Academia Arrogance. She felt that since she was the University dictator...errrr...president that she was going to be the point person of all things university, and that no basketball coach was going to run HER university.

Reds4Life
10-24-2006, 05:43 PM

What Heath said.

She's also insulted alumni by implying degrees obtained before her arrival are worthless, run off the deans of UC's most respected colleges, and given executive level jobs to her friends who are totally unqualified for them. One, Monica Rami, is the VP in charge of UC's finances. She has no financial experience at all; she has a law degree, and practiced law in Ohio for months without a license. She was on the verge of being called before the Ohio Supreme Court for it, but then Nancy gave her this VP slot. UC has a tough financial road ahead of it; to have someone with no financial management experience at all running the show is STUPID.

On top of that, she's a walking PR nightmare. She is an elitist to the core and if you ask a question she doesn't like she'll have you thrown out of the building and escorted off campus. She has armed bodyguards everywhere she goes. I know at Shoemaker when she'd go to basketball games her goons would be out in front of her box, if anyone yelled anything up to her, or had a sign or something, she's send them down to take it and have the people kicked out.

Sabo Fan
10-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Back to the Tressel leaving OSU discussion: not happening. He's got a sweet gig in Columbus and there's no way that sweater vest plays in the NFL.

Yachtzee
10-25-2006, 04:00 AM
I think that poses an interesting delimma for people who are Browns and Buckeyes fans. Would you rather have Tressel move to the Browns in hopes that he might be able to right the Browns ship, knowing that it could likely weaken the Buckeyes program. Or would you rather Tressel stay put at Ohio State and continue seeking National Championships and have the Browns seek out the next hot coordinator from the pros?

As a Bengals fan, the decision is easy. I'd rather Tressel stay at Ohio State because:

1. I enjoy watching Ohio State under Tressel (as opposed to John Cooper and his "deer in the headlights" look every time they played Michigan).
2. If Tressel does not succeed in Cleveland, the end result is that one of Ohio's premier football programs has been weakened for the sake of an underacheiving pro team (It's not easy to find quality head coaches at Ohio State's level).

GAC
10-25-2006, 07:14 AM
I think that poses an interesting delimma for people who are Browns and Buckeyes fans. Would you rather have Tressel move to the Browns in hopes that he might be able to right the Browns ship, knowing that it could likely weaken the Buckeyes program. Or would you rather Tressel stay put at Ohio State and continue seeking National Championships and have the Browns seek out the next hot coordinator from the pros?

Hey! I'm batting .500 now with a winner at OSU, and a loser in Cleveland. Why take the chance to screw up both? :D

And I know post-WW2, alot of your great NFL coaches came up through the college ranks. But anymore I don't see a very high success rate.

And if someone like Tressel were to go go to Cleveland then fail, where does that leave him? Fired. Successful college coaches have greater job security and longetivity at the college level.

traderumor
10-25-2006, 02:16 PM
He was asked in an interview by Clay Hall on WSYX, and he pretty much sounded like he was flattered, but has no NFL background to speak of and that it would be safe to say that he would like to retire from tOSU.

max venable
10-25-2006, 03:40 PM
From a follow-up PD story (http://www.cleveland.com/osufootball/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1161765686260920.xml&coll=2):

"I've not spent one day playing in the NFL or coaching in the NFL," Tressel said, "and I've got my hands full doing what I'm doing."

Asked whether he could be enticed by big money and a long-term contract, Tressel said, "I've got money and I've got a contract."

In May, Tressel agreed to a new seven-year deal that averages $2.45 million a season, making him one of the highest-paid coaches in college football. That's more than the average salary of Browns coach Romeo Crennel, who's averaging just over $2 million a year in the second year of a five-year contract worth between $10 million and $11 million.

"I don't know anything about fitting at a different level," Tressel said. "I don't know how I'd do coaching high school, teaching math five periods and then coaching them. I don't know how I'd do coaching in the pros, where it's a whole different world.

"So, I hope I fit well in this environment. And I do consider myself a teacher, and love the collegiate environment - I've been in it virtually my whole life. We moved to Baldwin-Wallace when I was 5, so nearly 50 years I've been in this environment and happen to like it."

And it likes him. Now in his sixth season, Tressel is 58-13, with one national title in hand and another potentially on the horizon for the No. 1 team in the country. At the age of 53, he might be a Buckeyes legend in the making, if that's what he desires.

traderumor
10-25-2006, 04:59 PM
As the Minnesota game comes up, it always reminds me that it reportedly came down to Tressel and Glen Mason. And it really makes me wonder how tough of a decision that really was, but that is all based on knowing what we know now. I do think that Mason would have done well, probably along the lines of Cooper, but I do not think most knew what OSU had when Tressel was introduced as he was.

Heath
10-25-2006, 05:29 PM
As the Minnesota game comes up, it always reminds me that it reportedly came down to Tressel and Glen Mason. And it really makes me wonder how tough of a decision that really was, but that is all based on knowing what we know now. I do think that Mason would have done well, probably along the lines of Cooper, but I do not think most knew what OSU had when Tressel was introduced as he was.

And then Mason in 2001 (Tressel's first year) beat OSU at Columbus on Homecoming. It was a tear jerker.

After a bad 2001 squad went up and beat Michigan, I figured OSU got what they wanted. Tressel hasn't stopped yet.