PDA

View Full Version : I'm coming out of the closet...

savafan
10-23-2006, 08:17 PM
I'm a little embarassed and ashamed to admit this. It has been building up for a while now however. The only person I've ever discussed it with is my friend Karl. I've tried to bury these feelings inside me and not let them show, but I just can't do it anymore, I have to be true to who I am.

After 18 years as a Cleveland Browns fan, I can't take it anymore. I gave up on watching them three years ago. I turned to the Browns in 1988 after I felt let down by the Bengals in the Super Bowl. I stood by the Browns through mediocrity and downright abyssmal seasons...not to mention five years without even fielding a team.

But last year, I started to return to my roots. I watched every Bengals game on television straight through the playoffs. I was on the edge of my seat this year for the first preseason game. I'd never even watched a preseason NFL game before...

I found myself loving Carson, Rudi, CJ, Hooch, Chris Perry, etc.

And now, I just have to admit that I am once again a Bengals fan, and that my father was right all these years...

Who Dey!

Matt700wlw
10-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Glad to see you're enjoying a real legit NFL caliber football team. :)

MrCinatit
10-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Welcome to the Dark Side.

GridironGrace
10-23-2006, 08:22 PM
Welcome Back!!!!

I too started out as a 5 year old Dallas fan because i like the STARS lol.. it carried over until i was old enough to relize...about 8 years ago at the age of 18... MY TEAM has always been, and always will be the BENGALS!!!!!!!!!!!

Born in Ohio, Live in KY, im Ohio Sports all the way and a converted Wildcat fan :)

Bengals
Bucks
Reds
dont like NBA
I keep track of the Bluejackets..
and follow the KY Wildcats BBALL pretty hard

WHO DEY!!

savafan
10-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the support. It's going to be quite costly replacing my wardrobe...

Heath
10-23-2006, 08:24 PM
We'll see you later, sava, say in about 3-4 years. :D

And as usual, we will welcome you back with open arms.

Thanks for sticking it out.

Sincerely,
Browns fans - including myself, GAC, Boyds, et. al. - who also cheer for the Reds.

guttle11
10-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Not that there's anything wrong with that...

redsfan30
10-23-2006, 08:29 PM
So glad to have you back!

MrCinatit
10-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the support. It's going to be quite costly replacing my wardrobe...

Going from orange to orange and black underwear is the first step in the right direction.
Let's see...I have a picture of my thong somewhere...

savafan
10-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Let's see...I have a picture of my thong somewhere...

No no...that's quite alright. One closet at a time. ;)

max venable
10-23-2006, 09:16 PM
I, for one, am not so quick to welcome you back, my friend. You abandoned us during our darkest, most difficult days. Many of us stuck with the team through all the painful Dave Shula-David Klingler-Akili Smith-Dick LeBeau-just-hope-we-can-score-even-once-this game days. And now that the Bengals are legit...you're suddenly back? Why should we be so eager to embace you, prodigal? Why aren't you willing to stick-it-out with your Brownies like most of us did with the Bengals? Fair-weather? I have little time for band-wagon-jumping, fair-weather wannabes who suddenly post a big boo-hooey "I'm coming out of the closet" thread to gain support and sympathy. "Look at me! I'm cool! I like the Bengals now!" You had your chance. Go back to Cleveland...traitor!

Sava...one more thing, before you get all riled up and twisted over this post, you must know this: I'm just messin' with ya...sorta. :D

savafan
10-23-2006, 09:18 PM
For the record Max, I watched a lot of those Klingler and Akili games as well, because the Browns games weren't televised here.

KronoRed
10-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Band wagon jumper ;)

BuckWoody
10-23-2006, 11:22 PM
I, for one, am not so quick to welcome you back, my friend. You abandoned us during our darkest, most difficult days. Many of us stuck with the team through all the painful Dave Shula-David Klingler-Akili Smith-Dick LeBeau-just-hope-we-can-score-even-once-this game days. And now that the Bengals are legit...you're suddenly back? Why should we be so eager to embace you, prodigal? Why aren't you willing to stick-it-out with your Brownies like most of us did with the Bengals? Fair-weather? I have little time for band-wagon-jumping, fair-weather wannabes who suddenly post a big boo-hooey "I'm coming out of the closet" thread to gain support and sympathy. "Look at me! I'm cool! I like the Bengals now!" You had your chance. Go back to Cleveland...traitor!

Sava...one more thing, before you get all riled up and twisted over this post, you must know this: I'm just messin' with ya...sorta. :D
I'm going to have to go ahead and agree with Max on this one. Perhaps a probationary period would be best to see how it works out for everyone.

Let's start off with a nice 5-paragraph essay on why Ken Anderson should be in the Hall of Fame. Do well on that and we'll move on to a comparison piece between Boobie Clark and Essex Johnson.

;)

wheels
10-24-2006, 12:23 AM
I say we make him watch all of the games from 1994-96, and I also want to know the name of the linebacker that twisted Dave Shula's cap on the sidelines in 1992.

....And for extra credit, I wanna know who caught Brett Favre's first ever game winning touchdown lob against the Bengals in that same season of 1992.

We all have to feel that pain.

Cedric
10-24-2006, 01:04 AM
Yep Wheels. Congrats on the switch but you will never be a real Bengals fan. Until you can experience those depths it just won't mean as much to you.

I still get a feeling in the pit of my stomach when I see the John Taylor highlight. I still wanna hurl things at the TV when I hear that Penn State is "Running back U".

BoydsOfSummer
10-24-2006, 02:20 AM
He'll be back. :cool:

Although being a Browns fan is becoming almost like being a cubs fan. Well except that we're way cooler and not whining, pansy, goat- (worshipers).

RedFanAlways1966
10-24-2006, 08:09 AM
And now, I just have to admit that I am once again a Bengals fan, and that my father was right all these years...

Who Dey!

Dad is always right. Better to be a Super Bowl loser than to NEVER make it there. :devil:

Welcome back, Your dreams were your ticket out.
>> Dreams of rooting for a playoff caliber team.
Welcome back, To that same old place that you laughed about.
>> Actually it is now Paul Brown Stadium, not Riverfront Stadium! And it is by a river, not a mistake by the lake!

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
>> No more Boomer, Ickey or Eddie Brown. Now Carson, Rudi & Chad.
But those dreams have remained and they're turned around.
>> Hopes for another AFC crown and Super Bowl appearance (we don't talk about NFL Championships that were had before we were born and when Jim Brown had no felony arrests in his life).

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (Who'd have thought they'd lead ya) Here where we need ya (Here where we need ya)
>> We did. We knew you'd come back to your senses, sava!
Yeah we tease him a lot cause we've hot him on the spot, welcome back, Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.
>> Say it, sava... WHO DEY! Glad you are back.

traderumor
10-24-2006, 08:19 AM
That's funny, I've been thinking I need a new baseball team to root for :evil:

I do enjoy watching the Indians more than I used to. I feel so conflicted...

Also, I think you should have imbedded the audio to Dianna Ross' "I'm coming out" so it would start playing when we open this thread.

BuckWoody
10-24-2006, 08:43 AM
I say we make him watch all of the games from 1994-96, and I also want to know the name of the linebacker that twisted Dave Shula's cap on the sidelines in 1992.

....And for extra credit, I wanna know who caught Brett Favre's first ever game winning touchdown lob against the Bengals in that same season of 1992.

We all have to feel that pain.
I know those answers. Believe it or not, I was at that Green Bay game when Majikowski got hurt and that no-name QB came in and led them to the win. Rookie Carl Pickens had a punt return for a TD in that game as well. Ahhhh, the Shula years. :(

RedFanAlways1966
10-24-2006, 08:55 AM
Ahhhh, the Shula years. :(

I still have two unused tickets for the Don Shula vs. Dave Shula coaching matchup... 1st time ever for a father vs. son in the NFL. I was all excited to get them at the start of the season. Oct. 2, 1994 Sunday night (8:00 pm) game. I decided to blow it off b/c the Bungals were already 0-4 going into that game. I figured it wasn't worth the hassle and I had been a diehard fan from birth. They ended up losing to Marino and the Dolphins 23-7. I felt better about not going and eating the $70 that I paid for the tickets.... at least I didn't have to pay for the parking and concessions to watch my team get drilled and fall to 0-5. They started that 1994 season 0-8.

Ahhhh... the Shula years. :help:

GAC
10-24-2006, 09:22 AM
We'll see you later, sava, say in about 3-4 years. :D

And as usual, we will welcome you back with open arms.

Thanks for sticking it out.

Sincerely,
Browns fans - including myself, GAC, Boyds, et. al. - who also cheer for the Reds.

Yep. Been a Browns fan for over 40 years. No turning back now.

I read the title of the thread and thought he was coming out gay.

Now I find out it's worse! :lol:

I still have faith in Savage and that he will get this thing turned around. We have had some really tough losses this year where we have shoot ourselves in the foot.

Is it the coaching? Could be. Especially Carthon.

Injuries? Definitely.

Lack of talent? No way.

You fix this friggin' offensive line and this team will take off IMO.

My new avatar.... and I wear the mantle proudly. ;)

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/18/182678.jpg

wheels
10-24-2006, 06:48 PM
I know those answers. Believe it or not, I was at that Green Bay game when Majikowski got hurt and that no-name QB came in and led them to the win. Rookie Carl Pickens had a punt return for a TD in that game as well. Ahhhh, the Shula years. :(

Bengals were 2-0 at that point, too.

I was thinking "Maybe this Shula guy's gonna bring some discipline that they were lacking under Wyche..."

How funny is that?

harangatang
10-24-2006, 08:17 PM
I thought you were really coming out of the closet as I read the thread title. I thought it would be a little weird to discuss such matters on a stage like this, but you never know.

Sham
10-24-2006, 08:37 PM
Bengals were 2-0 at that point, too.

I was thinking "Maybe this Shula guy's gonna bring some discipline that they were lacking under Wyche..."

How funny is that?

That is freaking funny.

mole44
10-25-2006, 12:22 AM
He'll be back. :cool:

Although being a Browns fan is becoming almost like being a cubs fan. Well except that we're way cooler and not whining, pansy, goat- (worshipers).

Is it bad that I was hoping he was just goina be gay? But no, he had to be a bengals fan.... Oh well, We didnt want you anyways! GO BROWNS

mole44
10-25-2006, 12:23 AM
Yep. Been a Browns fan for over 40 years. No turning back now.

I read the title of the thread and thought he was coming out gay.

Now I find out it's worse! :lol:

I still have faith in Savage and that he will get this thing turned around. We have had some really tough losses this year where we have shoot ourselves in the foot.

Is it the coaching? Could be. Especially Carthon.

Injuries? Definitely.

Lack of talent? No way.

You fix this friggin' offensive line and this team will take off IMO.

My new avatar.... and I wear the mantle proudly. ;)

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/18/182678.jpg

At least Carthon is gone now!

redsrule2500
10-25-2006, 02:34 AM
bengals fan my whole life! They have sucked my entire life until now, but worth the wait!! :)

GAC
10-25-2006, 10:12 AM
At least Carthon is gone now!

Just saw that. That will make alot of Brown fans happy. The job has been given to assistant head coach/offensive line coach Jeff Davidson.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/article.php?id=5957

BoydsOfSummer
10-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Until that offensive line gets it's collective crap together,it aint gonna matter who the heck is calling plays. It's Atrocious and has been since '99.

GAC
10-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Until that offensive line gets it's collective crap together,it aint gonna matter who the heck is calling plays. It's Atrocious and has been since '99.

Losing Bentley really hurt us. But yeah, they have to realize up there that they will go a long way to improving this team by focusing on that O-line.

SunDeck
10-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Welcome back, and you're welcome.

-From all of the die hards who have done the heavy lifting while you were away.

:D

Yachtzee
10-25-2006, 11:28 PM

I wonder what that portends, now that the O-Line coach is now the OC.

GAC
10-26-2006, 06:17 AM
I wonder what that portends, now that the O-Line coach is now the OC.

It means he now has BOTH feet in the fire and is without an asbestos suit. ;)

Blimpie
10-27-2006, 02:39 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Tim Couch bares some responsibility in this matter.

savafan
10-28-2006, 03:17 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Tim Couch bares some responsibility in this matter.

Don't ever say that name in my presence again.

Redsfan08
10-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Glad to see you're enjoying a real legit NFL caliber football team. :)

why don't they have any superbowls then

WVRed
10-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Don't ever say that name in my presence again.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040521/040521_couch_vmed_9a.vmedium.jpg

KronoRed
10-28-2006, 08:11 PM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040521/040521_couch_vmed_9a.vmedium.jpg

Hal Mumme product.

Yachtzee
10-29-2006, 08:40 AM

Drop the "C" and you get "Ouch."

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
10-29-2006, 09:41 AM
I'm a little embarassed and ashamed to admit this. It has been building up for a while now however. The only person I've ever discussed it with is my friend Karl. I've tried to bury these feelings inside me and not let them show, but I just can't do it anymore, I have to be true to who I am.

After 18 years as a Cleveland Browns fan, I can't take it anymore. I gave up on watching them three years ago. I turned to the Browns in 1988 after I felt let down by the Bengals in the Super Bowl. I stood by the Browns through mediocrity and downright abyssmal seasons...not to mention five years without even fielding a team.

But last year, I started to return to my roots. I watched every Bengals game on television straight through the playoffs. I was on the edge of my seat this year for the first preseason game. I'd never even watched a preseason NFL game before...

I found myself loving Carson, Rudi, CJ, Hooch, Chris Perry, etc.

Who Dey!

You are the root of all that is wrong with the world today. Browns fans love their team win or lose, we have pride in who we are and do not need a couple winning seasons in a row to fill our stadium. Seems pretty easy to just pack up and move to a team thats winning now, but what do you do when the Bengals hang another 19-61 streak and theres no fans around to watch the game with, we won't want you back but Im sure Art and the boys in Baltimore would love to have ya. Living in Dayton I get to see it all first hand. Two years ago I could got to any bar in town, and find more lions jerseys than bengals, toss in a few wins and they are all over the place but your not fooling me, snip the price tags off and ask the bandwagon driver to let you off at the next stop because you wanna be a real fan. I dont dislike bengal fans, but the lack of passion makes it very hard to respect them. The life of a browns fan is a rough one but Ill never quit on them, just like they will never quit on me. As far as Im concerned you can root for whoever you like, but please NEVER root for the browns again, we don't need the negativity.

Redsfan08
10-29-2006, 11:39 AM
I still have two unused tickets for the Don Shula vs. Dave Shula coaching matchup... 1st time ever for a father vs. son in the NFL. I was all excited to get them at the start of the season. Oct. 2, 1994 Sunday night (8:00 pm) game. I decided to blow it off b/c the Bungals were already 0-4 going into that game. I figured it wasn't worth the hassle and I had been a diehard fan from birth. They ended up losing to Marino and the Dolphins 23-7. I felt better about not going and eating the $70 that I paid for the tickets.... at least I didn't have to pay for the parking and concessions to watch my team get drilled and fall to 0-5. They started that 1994 season 0-8.

Ahhhh... the Shula years. :help:

yeah dolphins wooo hooooooooooooo

Slyder
10-29-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that QB from years past bares some responsibility in this matter.

That guy (there ill save you from having to see his name) gets thrown under the bus more often than that swiss cheese line. Its hard to throw when youre on your backside or with hands in your face. By the time that guy got out of town the Browns had already destroyed his career because they never dealt with the biggest problems with those teams offensive line.

If that guy would get healthy enough to play I would love if my Raiders would give him a look. I still think he could be a good qb.

wheels
10-29-2006, 08:12 PM
You are the root of all that is wrong with the world today. Browns fans love their team win or lose, we have pride in who we are and do not need a couple winning seasons in a row to fill our stadium. Seems pretty easy to just pack up and move to a team thats winning now, but what do you do when the Bengals hang another 19-61 streak and theres no fans around to watch the game with, we won't want you back but Im sure Art and the boys in Baltimore would love to have ya. Living in Dayton I get to see it all first hand. Two years ago I could got to any bar in town, and find more lions jerseys than bengals, toss in a few wins and they are all over the place but your not fooling me, snip the price tags off and ask the bandwagon driver to let you off at the next stop because you wanna be a real fan. I dont dislike bengal fans, but the lack of passion makes it very hard to respect them. The life of a browns fan is a rough one but Ill never quit on them, just like they will never quit on me. As far as Im concerned you can root for whoever you like, but please NEVER root for the browns again, we don't need the negativity.

Hang out with me on a Sunday afternoon, or engage me in conversation about the Bengals any day of the week, then tell me I don't have passion.

Yachtzee
10-29-2006, 08:29 PM

Yeah, Browns fans root for their team win or lose. That's why I see ads on TV for Browns single game tickets available through Ticketmaster. Browns fans are like anyone else. They show up when the team does well and when it doesn't...well they've got better things to do with their life. I have been a Bengals fans since the late '70s. My family has had season tickets since the early '90s. The Bengals stunk for so long, I don't blame people for jumping off the wagon or taking a "wait-and-see" approach. I know people who got so fed up with Mike Brown that they refused to spend a dime on the Bengals until they got some sign that there was real change in the way the front office did things.

I've been surrounded by Browns fans most of my life up here in NE Ohio and there are almost as many Steelers fans up here lately as there are Browns fans. I know people who have quit on the Browns. In fact the Browns did quit on their fans, because they up and moved to Baltimore.

I don't doubt that you are a huge Browns fan, but don't try to pass of Browns fans as a whole as somehow better than the fans of other teams. They aren't. If you want to direct your disgust at someone, direct it at those people who "just happen" to be fans of the Steelers, Yankees, Lakers, and Notre Dame. Now that's a sign (at least for people of my generation) of a bandwagon jumper.

traderumor
10-29-2006, 08:32 PM

Sounds like the same diatribe you would hear from a Cubs fan. And I sure did see an awful lot of empty seats at Browns Stadium in the second half last season from all of those diehards, and all of these loyal fans can't seem to cause the CBS affiliate in Columbus, who will show the team that will bring in the highest ratings, to show the Browns when they play at the same time as the Bengals.

And they did quit on you. They put their stuff in a truck and drove down the interstate. In a weak moment, the NFL couldn't leave well enough alone.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
10-29-2006, 08:33 PM
Hang out with me on a Sunday afternoon, or engage me in conversation about the Bengals any day of the week, then tell me I don't have passion.

You can't make a statement that fits everyone in a selected group, all I can do is report what i see, like ccr said believe half of what you see and none of what you hear, i've seen the lack of passion but it doesn't mean theres not a few of you out there. I commend you for standing up on this, I posted this yesterday and your the only one to comment on it. Now how passionate is that.

traderumor
10-29-2006, 08:35 PM
You can't make a statement that fits everyone in a selected group, all I can do is report what i see, like ccr said believe half of what you see and none of what you hear, i've seen the lack of passion but it doesn't mean theres not a few of you out there. I commend you for standing up on this, I posted this yesterday and your the only one to comment on it. Now how passionate is that.Nor can you make such a statement. I just saw this 5 minutes ago. Notice I had a response.

Falls City Beer
10-29-2006, 08:41 PM
You can't make a statement that fits everyone in a selected group, all I can do is report what i see, like ccr said believe half of what you see and none of what you hear, i've seen the lack of passion but it doesn't mean theres not a few of you out there. I commend you for standing up on this, I posted this yesterday and your the only one to comment on it. Now how passionate is that.

Think about what you're saying for a minute. You're railing about faithlessness on a bleepin' REDS' MESSAGE BOARD!!!!

Come on, dude, you're not going to find more long-suffering and embarrassed fans than people who are sticking with the Reds through Marge, Bowden, Bob Boone, Narron, O'Brien, Miley, Lindner, Allen, Jimmy Haynes, Eric Milton....shall I continue?

If being a Reds' fan doesn't test your mettle, then absolutely NOTHING does.

So spare every person on this board your righteous indignation, because we're lower than a snake's ass in a wagon trail, each and every one of us.

GAC
10-29-2006, 08:47 PM

And there you go. My sentiment exactly.

I work with a guy who is a die-hard Bengals fan. He has lived and breathed the Bengals since I've known him, meaning through the very dismal and depressing 90's. Regardless, this guy came into work every night wearing his Bengals jacket and hat with pride. And I admired and respected him, while others mocked him, because he was very true to his team when many others, who during those dreadful times, wouldn't be caught dead wearing Bengal colors or confessing any allegiance.

But now that the Bengals have turned it around.. and I'm glad they have bevcause I enjoy watching them too even though I am a Browns fan... some of those same people are now walking around with Bengal hats on.

My point is simply this.... you stand by your team, regardless of who it is, through thick and thin.

And if it's simply about being associated with a winner, then why are we all Red fans? :lol:

P.S. The Browns played one heck of a game today vs the Jets. I was actually impressed with the way the offense was ran under their new Offensive Coordinator. Droughns had a great day, and they mixed it up well with their receivers. But the O-line was actually performing much better. It was good to see because they do have some playmakers on this team.

traderumor
10-29-2006, 08:58 PM
GAC,

I didn't understand why the play was not reviewed on the catch there at the end. I caught it after the fact while they were discussing it. Looked to me like it was highly suspect that it was not reviewed. I also noticed that it was the crew that screwed the Bengals against the Bucaneers. Was that play reviewed, and if not, why not? Looked like it easily could have been ruled a catch based on the defender taking him out of bounds when he would have otherwise come down inbounds were it not for the hit.

GAC
10-29-2006, 09:01 PM
Yeah, Browns fans root for their team win or lose. That's why I see ads on TV for Browns single game tickets available through Ticketmaster. Browns fans are like anyone else. They show up when the team does well and when it doesn't

You can get those tickets via Ticket master, and many other venues, for any sporting event. It doesn't indicate a attendance problem. And you'll pay premium dollar to get them too. I'm sorry Yachtzee, but you're wrong there. They still sell out every home game, and have been. One thing the Browns have never had is an attendance problem. Even when they suck.

I don't doubt that you are a huge Browns fan, but don't try to pass of Browns fans as a whole as somehow better than the fans of other teams. They aren't.

I didn't get the impression he was stating that. He was basically "calling out" sava for abandoning his team, whom he has followed for many years, and now becoming a Bengals fan why?.... because they are now winning and the Browns are losing?

Hypothetically...Would it be any different if a Bengals fan, fed up with the losing, came on here and decided they were going to become a Steeler fan simply because they were tired of the losing and want to be associated with a winner?

Where is one's loyalty?

GAC
10-29-2006, 09:04 PM
And they did quit on you.

That's a untrue statement, and you know it tr. ;)

Art Modell quit on us, and screwed over very loyal fans. It had nothing to do with lack of support for the team by the city and fans, but a spolied owner not getting his way by trying to blackmail the city.

They put their stuff in a truck and drove down the interstate. In a weak moment, the NFL couldn't leave well enough alone.

It had nothing to do with a weak moment tr. The reason why they put a team back in Cleveland... and there were several reasons... was because next to the 49ers, the Browns had the #2 market in all of NFL. And that is a fact.

Do a little research on the Brown Backers fan organization worldwide, and tell me how many other NFL teams have such backing.

traderumor
10-29-2006, 09:08 PM
I think one of the few places there is still loyalty is in one's sports teams. But I don't think there is any man law yet that says one cannot jump a sinking ship and jump on board with an organization headed in the right direction. Now, if Sava liked the Steelers this year, and the Patriots in 2004 and 2005, and the Buccaneers after the 2003 season, then I might hear what you're saying :)

traderumor
10-29-2006, 09:09 PM
That's a untrue statement, and you know it tr. ;)

Art Modell quit on us, and screwed over very loyal fans. It had nothing to do with lack of support for the team by the city and fans, but a spolied owner not getting his way by trying to blackmail the city.

It had nothing to do with a weak moment tr. The reason why they put a team back in Cleveland... and there were several reasons... was because next to the 49ers, the Browns had the #2 market in all of NFL. And that is a fact.

Do a little research on the Brown Backers fan organization worldwide, and tell me how many other NFL teams have such backing.

Now I know why my dad (the one who was a Bengals fan before me, and a former Browns fan until the Bengals came into existence) had such bitterness towards Browns fans that he worked with at the plant :rolleyes: ;)

Yachtzee
10-29-2006, 09:25 PM
You can get those tickets via Ticket master, and many other venues, for any sporting event. It doesn't indicate a attendance problem. And you'll pay premium dollar to get them too. I'm sorry Yachtzee, but you're wrong there. They still sell out every home game, and have been. One thing the Browns have never had is an attendance problem. Even when they suck.

I didn't get the impression he was stating that. He was basically "calling out" sava for abandoning his team, whom he has followed for many years, and now becoming a Bengals fan why?.... because they are now winning and the Browns are losing?

Hypothetically...Would it be any different if a Bengals fan, fed up with the losing, came on here and decided they were going to become a Steeler fan simply because they were tired of the losing and want to be associated with a winner?

Where is one's loyalty?

Actually, you cannot buy single game tickets for a lot of teams through Ticketmaster because the stadium is sold out to season ticket holders. For teams like the Packers and Redskins, the waiting list for tickets is decades long. The Browns haven't even sold their tickets out to season ticket holders and, believe it or not, I've been to a number of Browns games in the past 3-4 years where there were at least 10,000 dressed as empty seats, even though the games were listed as sell-outs.

As far as OLD RIGHTHANDER's post goes, while it was initially addressed to savafan, he made a lot of sweeping statements about Bengals fans that were unwarranted. If anything I think Browns fans and Bengals fans should be able to understand where the other is coming from. We've all had to deal with abysmal teams run into the ground by an owner whose own ego seemed to stand in the way of success.

To be honest with you, for all the Browns and Bengals games I've been to, I've seen plenty of so-called "true fans" that I'd rather not be associated with, and I know my good friend the Browns season ticket holder feels the same way about many Browns fans. He was never more embarrassed in his life being associated with other Browns fans than after the bottle-throwing game. And of course the Bengals had to institute the "Jerk Line" for a reason.

OldRightHander
10-29-2006, 09:31 PM

Using my name and typing a post like that.

:nono:

I'm with you regarding bandwagon fans, but that could have been a wee bit more cordial.

traderumor
10-29-2006, 09:36 PM

I'm with you regarding bandwagon fans, but that could have been a wee bit more cordial.I wondered what had happened to ORH's tact. :laugh:

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
10-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Sounds like the same diatribe you would hear from a Cubs fan. And I sure did see an awful lot of empty seats at Browns Stadium in the second half last season from all of those diehards, and all of these loyal fans can't seem to cause the CBS affiliate in Columbus, who will show the team that will bring in the highest ratings, to show the Browns when they play at the same time as the Bengals.

And they did quit on you. They put their stuff in a truck and drove down the interstate. In a weak moment, the NFL couldn't leave well enough alone.
Art Modell quit on us not the team, and you better hope it never happens to your team here in cinci, remember this:
Hamilton County Commissioner Todd Portune sued the Bengals and the National Football League on Friday, claiming the league violated federal antitrust laws when it "extorted" more than $450 million from taxpayers to build Paul Brown Stadium. To get their way, Portune claims, the teams threatened to move to cities willing to build new stadiums. Sounds familiar and im glad it never happened, I like having two Ohio teams, it makes for more excitment in the season. As for empty seats check out these numbers
Cleveland Browns
Overall support rank of 32 teams: 1
Average attendance: 72,868 (63,808)
Percent of capacity: 99.8% (94.7%)
Attendance fluctuation: 0.8 points (12.7 points)
Cincinnati Bengals
Overall support rank of 32 teams: 27
Average attendance: 56,796 (63,808)
Percent of capacity: 89.4% (94.7%)
Attendance fluctuation: 20.9 points (12.7 points)
As far as showing the games on tv goes thats all regional coverage, Dayton and cin. get the bengals along with Columbus, but most towns north of Darke county get the Browns games, so im not sure I get your point there. Those things are up to the Nfl coverage policies. Theres no fan census that im aware of but i would guess that there are just as many browns fans in the columbus area as there are bengal fans, and being that it is a closer drive to go to the game wouldn't the tv ratings on the browns game be atleast equal in this area if not better?

traderumor
10-29-2006, 10:01 PM
As far as showing the games on tv goes thats all regional coverage, Dayton and cin. get the bengals along with Columbus, but most towns north of Darke county get the Browns games, so im not sure I get your point there. Those things are up to the Nfl coverage policies. Theres no fan census that im aware of but i would guess that there are just as many browns fans in the columbus area as there are bengal fans, and being that it is a closer drive to go to the game wouldn't the tv ratings on the browns game be atleast equal in this area if not better?Not exactly. WBNS 10-TV has a very good explanation of why they air the games they air, and basically in their market it comes down to ratings between the Bengals and Browns. That being the case, it hardly seems that the "real" fans are Browns fans when they cannot overcome the Bengals popularity in a divided market. Regardless, this is all kind of a nonsensical discussion because it presupposes that following a crappy franchise through thick and thin earns someone a badge of honor, which it doesn't. As FCB said above, we're Reds fans for goodness' sakes, we are surely in line for some kind of loyalty medal these days.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
10-29-2006, 10:05 PM

I'm with you regarding bandwagon fans, but that could have been a wee bit more cordial.
Sorry im not sure how to do a name change at this point, and I really don't mean to upset anyone with the generalizations im just stating my opinion with what I see living in Dayton, because of the regional coverage I often have to go to a bar to watch the Browns game until the Slingbox came into my life, so Ive seen first hand how fairweather Bengals fans can be.

traderumor
10-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Sorry im not sure how to do a name change at this point, and I really don't mean to upset anyone with the generalizations im just stating my opinion with what I see living in Dayton, because of the regional coverage I often have to go to a bar to watch the Browns game until the Slingbox came into my life, so Ive seen first hand how fairweather Bengals fans can be.Now you know how a Central Ohio Bengals fan felt (since I was old enough to pick my teams, about 1972), who watched many a crappy team play when they weren't being bumped by the stinking Clownies, when his favorite team was in a down cycle.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
10-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Not exactly. WBNS 10-TV has a very good explanation of why they air the games they air, and basically in their market it comes down to ratings between the Bengals and Browns. That being the case, it hardly seems that the "real" fans are Browns fans when they cannot overcome the Bengals popularity in a divided market. Regardless, this is all kind of a nonsensical discussion because it presupposes that following a crappy franchise through thick and thin earns someone a badge of honor, which it doesn't. As FCB said above, we're Reds fans for goodness' sakes, we are surely in line for some kind of loyalty medal these days.

cant find anything on your ratings claim from the last couple of years. In 2002 when the Bengals were not doing so well i found this article
By Mark Curnutte
The Cincinnati Enquirer

The Cleveland Browns hold a slim lead over the Bengals in the on-field "Battle of Ohio." But off the field, since returning as an expansion team in 1999, the Browns are the clear winner.

Browns games have higher TV ratings through most of the state, particularly in the pivotal Columbus market that's actually closer to Cincinnati than Cleveland.

The Browns have a bigger fan club, including a 300-person chapter of the Browns Backers in Cincinnati. The Bengals have a small chapter in Akron but none in Cleveland. The Browns have a larger radio network.

And the Browns draw better. They've enjoyed 29 consecutive home sellouts at Cleveland Browns Stadium and have a 2,000-account waiting list for season tickets. Today's game against the Browns is just the eighth sellout in 21 Bengals games at Paul Brown Stadium. The Bengals' failure to sell out even half of their home games keeps them off television and lets the Browns' telecasts into the Cincinnati TV market.

"When we've done well, we had a good following in Columbus," said Bengals president Mike Brown, whose father, Paul Brown, founded both franchises. "It's just the fact we haven't done well enough."

This is my point right here, if its true that the Bengals now draw higher ratings they didn't do it when they were losing. I really didn't mean do go this far with this but the guy who decided to jump ship struck a nerve with me. Im sure all Bengals fans would be upset about not seing your team on tv when you live in ohio and the team is in ohio.

traderumor
10-29-2006, 10:42 PM
It is the first Q in the Q&A section on the 10tv website (http://www.10tv.com/?sec=stationinformation&story=sites/10tv/content/pool/200609/714260088.html).

Casey_21
10-30-2006, 12:49 AM
I loved the Bengals too... Untill I met Boomer when i was about 10..11 tops. He was a totall :mooner: . That turned me off of them. I know Boomer aint the whole team, but come on, 10 year olds dont think that way.. Then they SUCKED for how many years, then had the gaul to ask us to pay for a new stadium.. which we did.. funny, cause everyone I asked that voted, they voted against it. Then, they didn't want OUR high school teams playing there "thing" on their field, in fear of their cleets would mess it up??? Umm.. we paid for it, and they obviously WON games to boot. I'm over all that now.. have been. It's there cockyness that gets to me now for the last 3 years. It's discusting. Rudy, Carson, and T.J are cool... I LOVE Rudy by the way.. He got class.. Dylan could learn a thing or two. but that 85... makes me want to heave. I watch the Bengals to see them lose. Many props to the folks who stuck by the Bengals through all these years.. dedication. I respect that. Also, respect the peeps who has their reasons for dislike. lol.. now bring on the bashing... ;)

savafan
10-30-2006, 02:12 AM

Wow...

While back at my parents' house yesterday I was digging through some of my old things and found my Tim Couch bobblehead. I also found my 1988 Superbowl paraphernalia.

FWIW, where is my loyalty? I haven't had the opportunity to see Browns' games much over the last couple years. I have tuned in to many a Bengals game, simply because I like watching football no matter who's playing, and I've grown fond of the players on the field. Honestly, other than Winslow and Frye, I can't name a single Brown player anymore. Call it bandwagon jumping if you want, but Bengal football is all I get subjected to by my family and friends (aside from Buckeye football). It is hard to continue cheering for a team that I can't follow due to lack of coverage and time to keep up on them.

I didn't mean to rouse the anger of the Dawg Pound.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
10-30-2006, 11:46 AM
It is the first Q in the Q&A section on the 10tv website (http://www.10tv.com/?sec=stationinformation&story=sites/10tv/content/pool/200609/714260088.html).

A: Ultimately the decision is up to CBS Sports and the NFL. However, WBNS-10TV can request a game change once an assignment is made. The main factor we use to choose the games is what the potential number of viewers are for a given game. We track this through overnight ratings throughout the season.
Basically its not up to them and if it were they choose the game that more people are going to watch. Since this was originally brought up by you as a reason why the Browns are not loyal, tell me why that as the article states

"The number of people for both Browns and Bengals fans are statistically even with the Steelers, with the Ohio teams have a bit of an edge. "
Then why would non Browns fans wanting to watch the Bengals instead of the Browns have anything to do with Browns fans in general?

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
10-30-2006, 11:52 AM
Wow...

While back at my parents' house yesterday I was digging through some of my old things and found my Tim Couch bobblehead. I also found my 1988 Superbowl paraphernalia.

FWIW, where is my loyalty? I haven't had the opportunity to see Browns' games much over the last couple years. I have tuned in to many a Bengals game, simply because I like watching football no matter who's playing, and I've grown fond of the players on the field. Honestly, other than Winslow and Frye, I can't name a single Brown player anymore. Call it bandwagon jumping if you want, but Bengal football is all I get subjected to by my family and friends (aside from Buckeye football). It is hard to continue cheering for a team that I can't follow due to lack of coverage and time to keep up on them.

I didn't mean to rouse the anger of the Dawg Pound.

Maybe I got a little carried away, its a sore subject with me, but how can a be too mad at a Buckeye and Reds fan. If though, you decide to go Michigan Cubs fan on me I will find out where you live. Go reds and buckeyes and browns, screw michigan, the cubs the cardinals and anyone else who stands in our way.

savafan
10-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Maybe I got a little carried away, its a sore subject with me, but how can a be too mad at a Buckeye and Reds fan. If though, you decide to go Michigan Cubs fan on me I will find out where you live. Go reds and buckeyes and browns, screw michigan, the cubs the cardinals and anyone else who stands in our way.

I would kill myself before I rooted for the Cubs or Michigan.

traderumor
10-30-2006, 12:22 PM
A: Ultimately the decision is up to CBS Sports and the NFL. However, WBNS-10TV can request a game change once an assignment is made. The main factor we use to choose the games is what the potential number of viewers are for a given game. We track this through overnight ratings throughout the season.
Basically its not up to them and if it were they choose the game that more people are going to watch. Since this was originally brought up by you as a reason why the Browns are not loyal, tell me why that as the article states

"The number of people for both Browns and Bengals fans are statistically even with the Steelers, with the Ohio teams have a bit of an edge. "
Then why would non Browns fans wanting to watch the Bengals instead of the Browns have anything to do with Browns fans in general?

My point had nothing to do with loyalty. Your original post gave the impression that there are oodles of loyal Browns fans that should overwhelm the upstart and bandwagon jumping Bengals' fans. I provided evidence where that is not the case in 10TV's viewing market. Honestly, I think it is awfully presumptuous to tell another individual that they are locked into rooting for a team because they once showed interest in them. A fundamentalist Browns fan. Who knew.

KronoRed
10-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Savafan
http://files.redvsblue.com/web/images/comic/RT_Comic_Ep32_World.jpg
:devil:

GAC
10-30-2006, 07:31 PM
GAC,

I didn't understand why the play was not reviewed on the catch there at the end. I caught it after the fact while they were discussing it. Looked to me like it was highly suspect that it was not reviewed. I also noticed that it was the crew that screwed the Bengals against the Bucaneers. Was that play reviewed, and if not, why not? Looked like it easily could have been ruled a catch based on the defender taking him out of bounds when he would have otherwise come down inbounds were it not for the hit.

When that play happened I thought we were screwed. At the moment it looked like a catch to me and the Brown defender forced him out. I thought for sure it would be reviewed and overturned.

But the ref on the field who made the call came out afterward and stated that regardless of the Brown defender, he would not have came down with both feet inbounds, and thus in their opinion a review was not necessary.

Now I'm not as keen on the NFL rule for review under the 2 minute warning... I know a team can't appeal. But I don't know if the people "upstairs" are required to review it and can overrule the field judges OR the decision is left up to the refs on the field? I'm assuming it's left to the guys on the field.

It was a judgment call that could have gone either way. I'm glad one went ours this year finally. ;)

GAC
10-30-2006, 07:40 PM
I wondered what had happened to ORH's tact. :laugh:

I thought it was the "other" ORHer too.... until I read further and realized differently! :lol:

GAC
10-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Art Modell quit on us not the team, and you better hope it never happens to your team here in cinci, remember this:
Hamilton County Commissioner Todd Portune sued the Bengals and the National Football League on Friday, claiming the league violated federal antitrust laws when it "extorted" more than $450 million from taxpayers to build Paul Brown Stadium. To get their way, Portune claims, the teams threatened to move to cities willing to build new stadiums. Sounds familiar and im glad it never happened, I like having two Ohio teams, it makes for more excitment in the season.

I was thinking about this very subject on my drive to work last night.

One of the discussions we have had on here over the years, and it was initiated by "local" Cincy Reds fans, was the tax initiative that raised the local tax to fund the two stadiums (i.e. taxpayer funded stadiums).

Many fans feel they (and the city) got screwed when you really look at the particulars of the deal. Yes, you got two new stadiums, and you kept your teams in town. But other then that, the owners made out (Linder & Co/Mike Brown family).

And one of the things many agree on is how owners are able to basically hold cities (and it's fans) up for "hostage" using a sports franchise, and the threat to relocate it, to get sweetheart deals. They get the city to build them their stadium, and then get a lease and other benefits that would make most salivate.

And alot of local people were upset over the deal that Mike Brown got. I don't fault Mike Brown. He's a businessman, doing what he does best. But the guy did get on heck of a lopsided deal in alot of people's opinion. And so did Hamilton County Commissioner Todd Portune.

In Cleveland (and with Modell)....

You first have to really understand the character/personality of Modell. He too was a businessman (from NY). Over the years he became known as a member of the "old guard" owners of the NFL who built up and carried great influence. And that is the way he liked it. The guy felt he was infallible and took great joy in this his position he felt couldn't be questioned/fought. He was an "iron hand". There was ego there.

He too, as any businessman, and witnessing what other owners were doing, felt he should get (and deserved) a sweetheart deal from the citiy of Cleveland. And he used the Cleveland Browns and their great tradition in order to try and achieve that. He tried to play all the normal cards. He was also pee'd off that the city had just built the Indians a new stadium, as well as the Rock N Roll HOF.

The building of a new stadium for the Browns was not an issue for the city of Cleveland. They agreed and wanted to do so. They just weren't going to let Art Modell make/set all the demands and hold them up for hostage. And I commended them for that. Art wanted it all his way, and the city should cave. And they didn't. And the rest is history.

What he did was abomidable. He said he didn't have any choice. Baloney.

And the NFL knew that too. But he had such pull within that heirarchy that that leadership capitulated, and then, due to the huge outpouring of anger primarily from the Cleveland fans, as well as the litigation being proposed, and the mess/uproar being created, reached a compromise. And part of the reasoning behind that too was the fact that at that time the Brown's market was #2 only behind the 49ers market. The NFL couldn't ignore that. This was not a situation, per say, like the Montreal Expos. This was an egotistical owner, with alot of pull, trying to get his way.

And what happened in Cleveland could have very easily have happened in Cincy and many of metropolis' if the city had refused to capitulate to those owners.

The "bright spot" in all of this is.... we got rid of an owner (the hard way) who alot of us Brown fans wanted gone years prior. ;)

traderumor
10-31-2006, 03:27 PM
Those sweetheart deals are made because there are many besides the owners who stand to benefit greatly. There is plenty of greed to go around. It isn't as if those who get behind such deals are doing so in an altruistic fashion. There are many political, social and economic reasons that team owners are able to get preferential treatment. If it was such a slam dunk, I don't think there would be as many relocations and pending relocations, such as currently in South Florida. And you should see the difference. Cincinnati cared enough about its sports franchises to step up to the plate and do what was necessary to support the franchise because enough people saw the overall benefit.

In Cleveland's case, I think they lost at a nasty fixed game of poker and Modell called the bluff. But Cleveland only lost the hand and did not go all in since they ended up with a new stadium and a franchise.

OldRightHander
10-31-2006, 06:11 PM

That would be an act of treason second only to Benedict Arnold.

OldRightHander
10-31-2006, 06:21 PM
Sorry im not sure how to do a name change at this point,

I was just being a bit sarcastic. I was somewhat paraphrasing the story (not sure if it's true or not) about Alexander the Great encountering a young soldier who had run away from a battle. When he found out that the young soldiers name was also Alexander he told him to either change his behavior or change his name. The validity of the story might be questionable, but it's amusing nonetheless. Of course I'm not going to subject you to the type of punishment that Alexander might have. You are a Bucks fan, so I have to cut you some slack for that.

:)

savafan
11-14-2006, 12:23 AM
Well, 0-4 since my announcement...yeah, this is about what I'm used to. ;)

KronoRed
11-14-2006, 12:47 AM

Dude..never root for my teams :help:

GAC
11-14-2006, 08:36 AM

And what is the Browns record since the announcement? 2-2?

Actually folks... this was nothing less then a stroke of shear genius by us Brown fans. Shear Genius I say, as we have brainwashed and trained sava to infiltrate the Bengal ranks. I just wish you hadn't said anything until after the game in Cincy.

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/3081/genius.gif

max venable
11-14-2006, 08:57 AM

How long have you been a Reds fan? Maybe we can get to the bottom of this.

savafan
11-14-2006, 09:00 AM
How long have you been a Reds fan? Maybe we can get to the bottom of this.

All my life...yeah, I was there for 1990, but it could have been a fluke.

max venable
11-14-2006, 09:06 AM
All my life...yeah, I was there for 1990, but it could have been a fluke.

Could you at least say that you're a, I don't know, Yankees fan...maybe that would help.

And, oh yeah, feel free to go back to the Browns at any time. :thumbup:

GAC
11-14-2006, 08:31 PM
And all this time we thought it was the Red's FO. :lol:

Heath
11-14-2006, 09:02 PM
And what is the Browns record since the announcement? 2-2?

Actually folks... this was nothing less then a stroke of shear genius by us Brown fans. Shear Genius I say, as we have brainwashed and trained sava to infiltrate the Bengal ranks. I just wish you hadn't said anything until after the game in Cincy.

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/3081/genius.gif

Brownies are 2-1 since I changed my avatar.

I'm thinking it's me :D