PDA

View Full Version : 24 Season 6

Pages : [1] 2

LoganBuck
10-24-2006, 11:07 PM
Thought I would start a new thread. The other one is for last year, and we would not want to make any spoiler adverse people upset.

The trailer is awesome. Jack is back but what did those crazy Chinese do to him?

Looks like alot of terrorist activity in the opener again this year. It is supposed to be very ugly (cool).

NatiRedGals
10-25-2006, 01:13 AM
Jack baur has gods beard now :) LOL

savafan
10-25-2006, 02:11 AM
Can't wait...

http://24trailer.com/

redsrule2500
10-25-2006, 02:32 AM
Jack Bauer must die?

How can he escape this one...:confused:

Very excited!!! :beerme:

LoganBuck
10-26-2006, 12:27 AM
Jack Bauer must die?

Very excited!!! :beerme:

When has death ever stopped Jack Bauer?

Razor Shines
10-26-2006, 12:58 AM
I know the MO of the show is that no one is bigger than the show and therefore anyone can be killed off, but it's hard to imagine the show without Jack, and I'm going on record saying they won't kill him. I'm mean they're getting ready to do a movie.

LoganBuck
10-26-2006, 01:01 AM
I know the MO of the show is that no one is bigger than the show and therefore anyone can be killed off, but it's hard to imagine the show without Jack, and I'm going on record saying they won't kill him. I'm mean they're getting ready to do a movie.

Wow Razor, you went way out on the branch there.

Razor Shines
10-26-2006, 01:06 AM
Wow Razor, you went way out on the branch there.

Really? Because people I know who watch the show are convinced that he dies during this season. Seemed like I was the only one believing that he wouldn't die, I guess it was just too small of a sample size.

Unassisted
10-26-2006, 10:35 AM
I guess this trailer answers the question from last season about the fate of Wayne Palmer.

savafan
10-26-2006, 10:50 AM
I guess this trailer answers the question from last season about the fate of Wayne Palmer.

Sure does. Not sure how I feel about that though.

cincy jacket
10-26-2006, 10:50 AM
I wonder what they are going to do with Audrey this season. She has started working on The Nine over on ABC. I doubt she will be able to do both. So right now I say she is the front runner to be killed first.

savafan
10-26-2006, 12:02 PM
I wonder what they are going to do with Audrey this season. She has started working on The Nine over on ABC. I doubt she will be able to do both. So right now I say she is the front runner to be killed first.

They could just write her out of the storyline.

Roy Tucker
10-26-2006, 12:44 PM
IIRC, Jack has clinically died twice in the series. Only to be brought back to life. It's conceivable they could kill off Jack, but they'd need to have a plausible character replacement for him. Or someone else to play Jack (kind of like the series of James Bonds).

I can't see them doing that while the show is going well. If ratings drop or Kiefer Sutherland gets tired of playing Jack, maybe then. But that would be the jump the shark moment for the show for me at least.

savafan
10-26-2006, 01:05 PM
FWIW, Kiefer Sutherland signed a three year $13 million contract. Bauer's not going anywhere.

Roy Tucker
10-26-2006, 01:37 PM
FWIW, Kiefer Sutherland signed a three year $13 million contract. Bauer's not going anywhere.
So that means Eric Milton > Jack Bauer.

Wow.

savafan
10-26-2006, 01:39 PM
So that means Eric Milton > Jack Bauer.

Wow.

Blasphemy!

LoganBuck
10-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Roy you are aware that CTU monitors the internet through "the regular filters"? You are in serious danger.

Matt700wlw
10-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Jack Bauer must die?

Stunt double? :)

savafan
11-09-2006, 11:27 AM
He's back! ;)

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=televisionNews&storyID=2006-11-09T091003Z_01_N09192846_RTRIDST_0_TELEVISION-24-DC.XML&WTmodLoc=EntNewsTV_C1_%5BFeed%5D-1

By Nellie Andreeva

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The dysfunctional presidential couple from "24's" Emmy-winning fifth season is coming back.

Emmy-nominated Gregory Itzin and Jean Smart are set to return to the real-time thriller in recurring roles. In the show's upcoming sixth season, they will reprise their respective roles as scheming (now former) President Charles Logan and his emotionally unhinged wife, Martha Logan.

As previously announced, Wayne Palmer (D.B. Woodside), the manipulative chief of staff and brother to former President David Palmer, will be the new president on the show.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

LoganBuck
11-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Logan would have to be in jail. My guess is that he is assasinated early on.

savafan
11-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Logan would have to be in jail. My guess is that he is assasinated early on.

Yeah, you wouldn't really expect Wayne Palmer to pardon him, would you? Unless his own Vice-President who would have taken over the presidency immediately at the end of season five had pardoned him...

savafan
12-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Official Season 6 Prequel:

http://thatvideosite.com/video/3686

OldRightHander
12-06-2006, 06:34 PM
I'm almost done playing catchup. I just purchased the season 5 DVD and will have that watched well before the new season airs. With my wife being in Kenya for the next ten days, I should have plenty of time on my hands.

LoganBuck
01-10-2007, 03:47 PM
I am so ready for this.

Matt700wlw
01-10-2007, 03:52 PM
I can't wait!!

Sweetstop
01-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Just recently watched Season 4 and Season 5 (the best ever) on dvd to get psyched. I'm so ready for Jack to be back!

Razor Shines
01-10-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm gonna need a hacksaw.

savafan
01-10-2007, 06:26 PM

http://24.wikia.com/images/f/ff/Chase.jpg

:eek:

Razor Shines
01-10-2007, 07:02 PM
http://24.wikia.com/images/f/ff/Chase.jpg

:eek:

No that was when Jack walked in and shot the informant before asking him any questions, then said "I'm gonna need a hacksaw" and proceeded to cut off the guys head, put it in a box and use it to get in good with the terrorist group.

savafan
01-11-2007, 01:31 AM
No that was when Jack walked in and shot the informant before asking him any questions, then said "I'm gonna need a hacksaw" and proceeded to cut off the guys head, put it in a box and use it to get in good with the terrorist group.

Ah yes, Chase was the fire ax...my bad.

Razor Shines
01-12-2007, 05:36 PM
I was listening to a certain radio personality who has seen the first 8 episodes of this years 24 already. And today he said to make sure and watch because in these first four episodes they will do four things that make you say "I can't believe they just did that." Now I'm trying to get my mind around this because outside of killing Jack I didn't think they could do anything to surprise me. They've killed presidents and main characters so that's pretty much expected. We'll see.

Ravenlord
01-12-2007, 05:47 PM

http://www.losrudos.com/ahjdp.jpg:D

savafan
01-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Maybe they'll bring people back from the dead. Maybe Tony Almeida will be the head terrorist this year. ;)

savafan
01-12-2007, 08:34 PM
The 24 most shocking moments of 24

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=ebb726d9-0518-4aa0-885c-1969102699f6

I would put #19 higher, but that's just me.

Razor Shines
01-12-2007, 10:40 PM
The 24 most shocking moments of 24

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=ebb726d9-0518-4aa0-885c-1969102699f6

I would put #19 higher, but that's just me.

I agree and I think finding out his wife dies in the first season should be number one, I mean I really did not see that coming at all and that's when you knew the anything could happen.

But my favorite will always be #3.

savafan
01-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Gah...this is killing me. I want to...no I don't...yes I do...no I don't...gah!!!!!!!!

http://www.mininova.org/search/?search=24+s06

Razor Shines
01-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Gah...this is killing me. I want to...no I don't...yes I do...no I don't...gah!!!!!!!!

http://www.mininova.org/search/?search=24+s06

Why would you do that? I'm not going to though, I'm gonna wait, it's only a little more than a day. I wonder where they got these though? I thought they were very careful about letting episodes get out.

Matt700wlw
01-13-2007, 10:03 AM
Maybe they'll bring people back from the dead. Maybe Tony Almeida will be the head terrorist this year. ;)

Zombie Nina

:D

savafan
01-13-2007, 01:58 PM
Why would you do that? I'm not going to though, I'm gonna wait, it's only a little more than a day. I wonder where they got these though? I thought they were very careful about letting episodes get out.

Dude, I'm fighting the urge not to do it myself. I think I'm going to leave and not come back until tomorrow night at 8:00

HotCorner
01-14-2007, 10:34 PM
Jack is back! :thumbup:

savafan
01-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Jack is back! :thumbup:

Yes he is. I don't what happens tomorrow, but I'm told that it will be THE most shocking event in the show's history. How am I going to sleep?

guttle11
01-14-2007, 10:42 PM
This is the first time I've ever watched the show.

HE VAMPIRED A GUY!

I'm hooked.

LoganBuck
01-14-2007, 10:48 PM
How about Jack biting the jugular? My four year old son walked in to tell me goodnight right when that happened. I had to hit pause, and go have a discussion.

Overall the story line wasn't as good as most of the season premieres have been, it was a bit too mechanical, and I don't like Peter MacNicol. How am I supposed to believe Kumar will destroy Whitecastle?

Razor Shines
01-14-2007, 10:51 PM
I just read on a very popular website that they are planning to set off a bunch of "mini-nukes" in tomorrow's episode, and there are whispers of real life white house intervention.

savafan
01-14-2007, 11:20 PM
I just read on a very popular website that they are planning to set off a bunch of "mini-nukes" in tomorrow's episode, and there are whispers of real life white house intervention.

You mean as in the White House doesn't want the episode to air?

Razor Shines
01-14-2007, 11:26 PM
You mean as in the White House doesn't want the episode to air?

Well the article didn't come right out and say it but it definetly dropped hints like:

The source claims executives are prepared for any fallout from local municipalities that may be on the receiving end of plot turns and twists. How many cities 24 puts on 'nuke alert' is unclear.

Is that saying that some cities may get different versions? Or that some cities might actually think it's real?

savafan
01-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Well the article didn't come right out and say it but it definetly dropped hints like:

Is that saying that some cities may get different versions? Or that some cities might actually think it's real?

Maybe we should go ahead and download those episodes just in case. :dunno:

savafan
01-15-2007, 12:33 AM
Interesting casting news that I hadn't seen reported here:

Oscar- and Emmy-nominated actor James Cromwell (Babe, "Six Feet Under") and Emmy Award-winning actor Eddie Izzard ("Dress to Kill," My Super Ex-Girlfriend) join the season six cast of "24." The clock for "Day Six" will begin to tick in January, Mondays (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

The highly respected Cromwell will recur this season as Phillip Bauer, the estranged father of Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland), while British actor/comedian Izzard will portray a villainous accomplice, Darren McCarthy. In addition to Cromwell and Izzard, newcomers joining the pulse-pounding thriller include Kal Penn (Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle), Marisol Nichols ("In Justice"), Alexander Siddig (Syriana, Star Trek Deep Space Nine) and Harry Lennix ("Commander in Chief"). Eric Balfour and Carlo Rota will reprise their respective roles as CTU contractors Milo Pressman and Morris O'Brian.

Also:

Fox plans to release the first four episodes of season 6 onto DVD, just one day after the episodes have aired. The disc hits shelves on January 16 and will help out fans who miss any of the first four to stay caught up before episode five.

More big casting news for season six: Powers Boothe of Deadwood fame will appear as the Vice-President on the show, while Emmy nominees Gregory Itzin and Jean Smart will reappear in a recurring status as their 24 alter egos, President Logan and his wife Martha.

Matt700wlw
01-15-2007, 01:29 AM
The "oh my gods" and looks of shock on the characters at the end of the tease for hour 3 and 4 were great.

WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN?!?!?!?!

savafan
01-15-2007, 04:39 AM
Just saw episode 3...didn't even have to download it. Wow. That's all I can say. I'm about to start episode 4 now.

savafan
01-15-2007, 06:05 AM
Oh my god...

I just finished episode four. I've never seen anything on television that has left me so shaken, feeling so unsettled before. Wow...just wow. My entire body is still shaking from it.

Damn...I don't know what else to say.

MrCinatit
01-15-2007, 06:39 AM
Near halfway through 4 myself.
I have some inklings of what is going to happen - but we will see.

MrCinatit
01-15-2007, 07:04 AM
Yeah. Wow. Rather good episode.
Don't miss it tonight.

savafan
01-15-2007, 07:13 AM
Yeah. Wow. Rather good episode.
Don't miss it tonight.

I'm still shaking man...

MWM
01-15-2007, 09:28 AM
I liked the first two episodes and how the plot is developing. This could be a good season. But for the life of me I can't figure out why the writers of the show think the stories become more compelling if all the main characters are involved in relationships. It doesn't. It makes it less compelling, IMO. Having Karen Hayes and Bill Buchanon married is just stupid.

And it should come as no surprise that all these horrible things are happening considering the morons they have running our national security and CTU offices. If people like Chloe and Otis were really the ones we rely on to protect us, this country would have been obliterated years ago.

And Chloe's boyfriend is one of the bad guys. He has to be.

savafan
01-15-2007, 09:31 AM
And Chloe's boyfriend is one of the bad guys. He has to be.

He's actually her ex-husband. I dunno about him being a bad guy, he came in and did a good job last year...er, 20 months ago. ;)

Razor Shines
01-15-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm still shaking man...

Ok, was that article on to anything or did it have nothing to do with it?

Razor Shines
01-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Just saw episode 3...didn't even have to download it. Wow. That's all I can say. I'm about to start episode 4 now.

And how did you get it?

savafan
01-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Ok, was that article on to anything or did it have nothing to do with it?

There's something there, but there's WAY more to it than that.

Matt700wlw
01-15-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm pumped!! Can't wait for tonight!

LoganBuck
01-15-2007, 10:48 PM
Jack plugs Curtis!!!!!!

Wow, I guess I saw something along those lines coming all night, but wow!

Anyone want to take any bets about how many episodes, until someone has to take out a warrant to arrest Jack?

The teaser for next week was good, with that sniveling weasel Graham telling Jack that he will swear his family on it. Christopher Henderson says Hi!

savafan
01-15-2007, 10:51 PM
The teaser for next week was good, with that sniveling weasel Graham telling Jack that he will swear his family on it. Christopher Henderson says Hi!

I've got a spoiler about that which has been confirmed. The show takes some interesting turns this season.

Seeing tonight's episodes for the third time didn't lessen the impact any at all.

MrCinatit
01-16-2007, 07:59 AM
What is the over/under that one of those suckers is under CTU and/or Washington?
Meanwhile, I have a million different theories and ideas of what could happen this season - this could be quite exciting. Of course, one of my key suspects is Logan.

savafan
01-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Of course, one of my key suspects is Logan.

I don't know that Logan is that evil...

dieselman44
01-16-2007, 12:54 PM
I think the right hand man for the president is in on something.( the guy who wants the concenration camps. The reason I feel this way is because if you caught it in episode 4 i believe the president said that he doesnt question this mans loyalty. Foreshadowing I believe.

savafan
01-16-2007, 12:56 PM
I think the right hand man for the president is in on something.( the guy who wants the concenration camps. The reason I feel this way is because if you caught it in episode 4 i believe the president said that he doesnt question this mans loyalty. Foreshadowing I believe.

Maybe, but see, there's always someone like that in the president's administration that we think is going to be in on something, and we're proven wrong everytime...

Reds Fanatic
01-16-2007, 01:30 PM
For those of you looking to catch up with the old seasons of 24 Amazon today only is selling all 5 seasons on DVD for $125.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=xs_gb_logo/104-2998791-2467925

Sweetstop
01-16-2007, 05:21 PM
You notice at the end of last night's episodes they mentioned that the first 4 plus next Monday's episode would be available on dvd today. I think I'll be patient and wait.:)

Matt700wlw
01-16-2007, 05:54 PM
wow. Just wow.

What a night of TV!!!

Is Curtis really dead? They never showed the dead body...just him bleeding...
Hmmmm....

LoganBuck
01-16-2007, 11:00 PM
wow. Just wow.

What a night of TV!!!

Is Curtis really dead? They never showed the dead body...just him bleeding...
Hmmmm....

When he slumped over the assumption was he was dead.

Razor Shines
01-17-2007, 12:44 AM
Bad things happen when you work with Jack Bauer, if you stay alive long enough he'll take you out himself just to keep the rumors going. He may shoot you in the neck or he may chop off your hand with dull axe, all in the guise of "helping" you or the country.

savafan
01-17-2007, 02:19 AM
You notice at the end of last night's episodes they mentioned that the first 4 plus next Monday's episode would be available on dvd today. I think I'll be patient and wait.:)

Actually, it just contains a preview for next Monday's episode

savafan
01-20-2007, 07:11 PM
100 Greatest 24 Moments!

http://progressiveboink.com/archive/24100/1.html

Complete with Youtube clips. Awesome! :thumbup:

TeamBoone
01-21-2007, 08:53 PM
I wasn't surprised that he shot Curtis (he pretty much had to), but I was shocked that he killed him. I figured that he was a good enough shot that he could pull off controlling him with a well-placed bullet.

BTW, doesn't Sutherland offer some kind of financial backing for the show? I think I remember that from an interview, thus I'd assume he'd be playing the role for awhile.

savafan
01-21-2007, 08:59 PM
BTW, doesn't Sutherland offer some kind of financial backing for the show? I think I remember that from an interview, thus I'd assume he'd be playing the role for awhile.

He is a co-executive producer, and is signed to a contract for two more seasons right now. In an interview on CNN last night, he said that while the rest of the cast disagrees, he believes that the show could survive without Jack Bauer.

MWM
01-21-2007, 09:02 PM
The show might have been able to survive without Bauer had they killed him off after the second season. I think after that he's there for good. I have a feeling they'll kill him off eventually once the ratings slip in a couple of years.

savafan
01-21-2007, 09:04 PM
The show might have been able to survive without Bauer had they killed him off after the second season. I think after that he's there for good. I have a feeling they'll kill him off eventually once the ratings slip in a couple of years.

They almost have to. He's not a true action hero, he's a classic tragic character. As long as he's alive, he'll have no peace.

Raisor
01-22-2007, 10:35 AM
The four hour season premier was awesome. Jack is now a radioactive vampire.

Which rocks.

Sweetstop
01-22-2007, 10:50 AM
They almost have to. He's not a true action hero, he's a classic tragic character. As long as he's alive, he'll have no peace.

This is a very good point.

Puffy
01-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Did we know that little ***** was Jack's brother? I'm pretty sure they didn't mention that last year!

RFS62
01-22-2007, 11:08 PM
Did we know that little ***** was Jack's brother? I'm pretty sure they didn't mention that last year!

No way. That's a total surprise.

He's about to enter a world of pain.

MWM
01-23-2007, 12:07 AM

I don't think they knew it themselves.

BTW, I hate the family story lines. This is about America and terrorists, not the Bauers. If I wanted these story lines, I'd watch Days of our LIves.

LoganBuck
01-23-2007, 12:53 AM
Agree MWM, they don't need the family story line, I am much more intrigued with the Muslim internment area.

What do you want to bet that Morris is the name they come up with for the technological whiz Fayed needs to complete his bombs. They sure are dropping the hints, last week he used satelites that he knew about from his private contractor days, then this week everytime the cut from conversations about the new technical specialist, they showed Morris and Chloe working on whatever that was with the wires.

I like what they are doing with Peter MacNicols(sp), character, I just wonder where he is going, good or evil?

Sweetstop
01-23-2007, 07:59 AM
Peter MacNichol is always good, whatever the role. Paul McCrane is too, for that matter.

Roy Tucker
01-23-2007, 08:07 AM
So, did anyone else think Rocket Romano's son looked an awful lot like Kim? Say, you don't suppose...

Man, I don't think I'd want to attend a Bauer family Thanksgiving.

And who is Sam?

I still think Assad will turn out to be bad.

RFS62
01-23-2007, 08:18 AM
Man, I don't think I'd want to attend a Bauer family Thanksgiving.

Yeah, they probably hunt down the turkey that day and eat it alive (after an appropriate period of interrogation and torture).

MWM
01-23-2007, 08:48 AM
So, did anyone else think Rocket Romano's son looked an awful lot like Kim? Say, you don't suppose...

I still think Assad will turn out to be bad.

That's the fist thing my wife said when they showed the boy. He's definitely Jack's son.

And I agree on Assad. That's going to be one of the this season's *surprises* that surprises no one. I still like the show, but it's getting very predictable.

registerthis
01-23-2007, 09:21 AM
I still like the show, but it's getting very predictable.

I don't think Jack whacking Curtis was very predictable.

LoganBuck
01-23-2007, 12:54 PM

Nope, didn't see that one coming at all, I could tell something might happen during that show, but in no way could I have picture Jack shooting him.

Good call on Uncle Jack, Roy.

savafan
01-23-2007, 01:12 PM

My friend and I who were watching the show together both thought the same thing. :D

savafan
01-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Remember, if you've ever watched a season of 24 before, what starts out as the main plot of the show in the beginning of the season always develops into something entirely different by the end.

Razor Shines
01-23-2007, 01:31 PM
When is Jack going to talk with his nephew? He said "Maybe we can talk later?" I wonder if Jack brought two plastic bags with him? "Do you know where Grampa is?" "Well you brought this on yourself."

Roy Tucker
01-23-2007, 01:37 PM
I do have a little problem with the LA infrastructure being able to continue on after a decent-sized nuclear blast.

Cell phones, cable TV, computers, networks, etc. all continue to work after an EMP and blast shock wave. But a helicopter did fall down.

Oh well. Where would 24 be without cell phones?

Sweetstop
01-23-2007, 01:45 PM
And those cell phones always work. My husband always laughs about that.

rdiersin
01-23-2007, 02:12 PM

Personally, I thought it was. I didn't know Jack was going to kill him, but once Curtis heard about Assad, it seemed something was going to be coming to a head.

Razor Shines
01-23-2007, 02:15 PM
Personally, I thought it was. I didn't know Jack was going to kill him, but once Curtis heard about Assad, it seemed something was going to be coming to a head.

I think a lot of people had a feeling Curtis might die this season. But the way it happened was the surprising part. With this show we expect main characters to die, but they keep coming up with new and shocking ways to kill them.

savafan
01-23-2007, 02:15 PM
And those cell phones always work. My husband always laughs about that.

There was a 24 special on CNN Saturday night. They were talking with Kiefer, and he said that his phone died twice during the filming of Season 1, and he forgot to play it off, saying, "Hello? Hello? Hello?" into it. The director took him aside, and explained to him that he needed to keep pretending that the phone was working.

He said that he's never done that again during filming, but that this is one of the questions he gets asked most often. The phones do die frequently during filming he said. :)

Razor Shines
01-23-2007, 02:22 PM
I just found this on the web. The hi-lighted portion seems pretty silly to me.

Editorial: What can Jack Bauer do for you?
January 23, 2007
By Editorial Board
For Senior Jonathan Goldstein, Monday nights from 9-10 p.m. are off limits for everything except FOX’s hit drama, “24.”

“My friends know not to call me during that hour,” he said. “It’s not that I’m anti-social about it, I’ll watch it with other people. I just want to be fully focused on what’s happening.”

As most people familiar with the show already know, Goldstein is hardly alone. Since its debut in 2001, “24” has become one of the most popular and compelling shows on television. Its debut this season garnered 33 million viewers and the DVD sales of its past seasons are one of the highest of any serial. Even at Stanford, where many people yearn for the days when watching plenty of TV was easy, students readily rearrange their schedules to make time for “24.”

“I have multiple friends trying to cram seasons of the show into a matter of weeks to catch up for the new season,” Goldstein said.

Each season of “24” focuses on one day in the life of counter-terrorism agent Jack Bauer, with each episode showing a one-hour real-time segment of that day. Much of the popularity is generated from the fast-paced action and constant sense of anticipation, as Bauer has to race, puzzle-solve and, more than anything else, fight his way to the end of the day — which usually results in saving the United States from a terrorist inflicted disaster.

Yet despite the show’s enormous entertainment value — and we admit that it is addictive — whether you are a devoted longtime fan, or just getting into the series, it is important to pause and consider how the show may influence the way audiences think about current events.

On the positive side, the show constantly raises issues like civil liberties and national security, and portrays political debates with obvious allusions to real politicians. These plot points bring important issues to the attention of viewers who may not regularly follow current events, making fans of “24” more likely to show interest when similar issues appear in the news.

But at the same time, there is the possibility that “24” could replace news altogether for some viewers, and the over-dramatized events it presents to keep the adrenaline flowing could pervert the public’s sense of reality by creating a constant sense or paranoia that is good for ratings, but not necessarily for the general interest.

The pervasiveness of torture in many of the seasons distracts from the seriousness of the matter. Bauer often has to extricate information from terrorists by painful means that would probably fit any textbook definition of illegal interrogation. But because Bauer is the good guy and has to work fast to save the day, it often becomes too easy to ignore any moral implications of his actions, and accept the idea that everything he does is for the greater good.

Furthermore, the constant portrayal of Muslim terrorists as the source of threat opportunistically plays off the public’s fears and perpetuates existing stereotypes that all Arabs and Muslims are terrorists.

Though most Stanford students are able to separate the entertainment value of the series from its factual content, not taking many of the over-the-top plot twists as credible depictions of the current political atmosphere, next time you watch “24,” it is worth considering exactly how these elements play into the excitement. We are confidant that our peers can make the distinction between a fictional show and real life, and we hope the rest of the 33 million viewers will be equally discerning.
So is anyone on this board replacing their news with 24? I know I am. I'm not sure if I'll vote for President Palmer next election, although I don't remember him getting elected in the first place.

savafan
01-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Well, I don't think I'm going to vote for Logan. Man, I wish Heller would run. What's the word on Keeler? :D

Roy Tucker
01-23-2007, 02:29 PM
I thought 24 was real. It's not?

:cool:

Sweetstop
01-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Have to watch out for a "Palmer" dynasty.

registerthis
01-23-2007, 02:43 PM
I thought 24 was real. It's not?

I would occasionally watch Bravo's West Wing marathons, get sucked into them, and actually find myself believing they were reality.

Oh, how I wish that were so.

rdiersin
01-23-2007, 02:52 PM
I think a lot of people had a feeling Curtis might die this season. But the way it happened was the surprising part. With this show we expect main characters to die, but they keep coming up with new and shocking ways to kill them.

I guess I just wasn't that surprised. In fact, I was a little dissappointed when it happened, it just didn't shock me. However, last years was a shock with everyone knowing about Jack got killed.

Back to last nights episode. I enjoyed the plastic bag, :).

Roy, I think you're dead on about the son, with the whole thing with Jack's brother saying to his wife that she would like it if Jack came over, or something to that effect.

Matt700wlw
01-23-2007, 03:23 PM
I watched it this morning.

I love this show!!!

:rockband:

creek14
01-23-2007, 07:37 PM
I do have a little problem with the LA infrastructure being able to continue on after a decent-sized nuclear blast.

Cell phones, cable TV, computers, networks, etc. all continue to work after an EMP and blast shock wave. But a helicopter did fall down.

Oh well. Where would 24 be without cell phones?

I watch (and love) the show as do most of the people I work with. But after we talk about how great it was, we rip it to shreds - the technology is :rolleyes: .

MWM
01-23-2007, 09:27 PM

True. They do a good job of throwing surprising twists into the tactics of the show. The fact that short bald dude was Jack's brother was unexpected (but when we find out his son is actually Jack's son, that will NOT be unexpected).

But the underlying plot of the show is virtually the same. Not saying I don't still like it, but we pretty much know some terrorist is going to be loose. In LA. With something dangerous like a virus, nerve gas, or a nuke. CTU will have no leads. They'll get the name of a person who is supposed to know something. They won't talk. Jack will torture it out of them. They'll get close to said terrorist. Almost get said terrorist. But the terrorist mirculously escapes. But the satellites they so conveniently use will not have been ready in time to see where said terrorist escaped to. Jack has a family member or love interest involved somehow. By about episode 12, they foil the attack and they think it's all over only to find out this was not THE BIG attack and something bigger was planned by someone higher up.

It's a compelling plot and I enjoy it. I just think it could be better. I'd just like to see them do something a little different. All the basic elements have been virtually the same every year. I thought last year with everyone believing Jack was dead was a great opportunity for him to be working in the dark with no one knowing he was alive. Or something like that. The show is such a great concept, but I think they've lost real creativity over the years. There's so much they could do with it, I hate to see the same basic plot develop every year, with the differences being nuances and characters.

BUt I'll keep watching. It's a good show even with its faults.

savafan
01-24-2007, 12:13 AM
Perhaps, some of the problem with the repetition is that 96% of the crew that started with 24 in the beginning is still working on the show. Most shows change writers, producers, etc., but this show has remained pretty consistant.

creek14
01-24-2007, 06:07 AM
some terrorist is going to be loose...With something dangerous like a virus, nerve gas, or a nuke. CTU will have no leads. They'll get the name of a person who is supposed to know something. They won't talk. Jack will torture it out of them. They'll get close to said terrorist. Almost get said terrorist. But the terrorist mirculously escapes. .
That's the most realistic part of the show. Really.

savafan
01-29-2007, 11:24 PM
I'm going to have to stop watching the previews, they're giving way too much away.

registerthis
01-30-2007, 09:24 AM
Perhaps, some of the problem with the repetition is that 96% of the crew that started with 24 in the beginning is still working on the show. Most shows change writers, producers, etc., but this show has remained pretty consistant.

...which is a good thing, IMO.

The West Wing got tripped up for a couple of seasons (though eventually righted itself) after Sorkin left. Sure, there's going to be some amount of predictability in any show that stays on the air as long as 24 has and essentially maintains their entire production/writing team. But I'll take that over a drastic shift in the show's focus/quality which is frequently brought on when there's a major shift in personnel.

registerthis
01-30-2007, 09:25 AM
I'm going to have to stop watching the previews, they're giving way too much away.

Yeah, not only do we know that Jack escapes being executed by his bro's team of henchmen, he somehow gets his brother tied up in a chair to torture him. Geez, why watch now?

remdog
01-30-2007, 10:04 AM
Yeah, not only do we know that Jack escapes being executed by his bro's team of henchmen, he somehow gets his brother tied up in a chair to torture him. Geez, why watch now?

To see the bro suffer. :)

Rem

Sweetstop
01-30-2007, 10:54 AM

I guess Fox realized we'd know from past experience that (1) Jack would escape and (2) he'd go back after his bro. So we watch to see the HOW. :)

Boy, dad towers over them both.

registerthis
01-30-2007, 11:51 AM
To see the bro suffer. :)

I still think of him as that prick surgeon on ER, and I keep waiting for Laura Innes to stumble in and start whacking him with her cane.

remdog
01-30-2007, 12:02 PM
I still think of him as that prick surgeon on ER, and I keep waiting for Laura Innes to stumble in and start whacking him with her cane.

:laugh: I knew he looked familiar but I couldn't place him. And, now that you mention it, a whack with a cane seems appropriate. :)

Rem

savafan
01-30-2007, 12:43 PM

Rocket Ramano. You know what's funny, by all accounts, people who've worked with him say that Paul McCrane is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, and he's pretty decent at directing as well. He sure does play some unlikeable characters though.

rdiersin
02-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Is it just me, or did the season just get a lot more interesting? I can see this plot going many different ways after last night's episode. And we get two episodes next week! I can't wait. Did anyone see Jack's dad being behind Jack's setup? That one caught me by surprise, but I guess I should have known. :)

Puffy
02-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Is it just me, or did the season just get a lot more interesting? I can see this plot going many different ways after last night's episode. And we get two episodes next week! I can't wait. Did anyone see Jack's dad being behind Jack's setup? That one caught me by surprise, but I guess I should have known. :)

I did - as soon as the thing in the dump site happened I knew.

rdiersin
02-06-2007, 10:59 AM
I did - as soon as the thing in the dump site happened I knew.

Yeah, I guess I knew something was up after he killed that guy so that Jack couldn't "talk" to him, but I didn't see it all. For some reason I expected him to kill Graham, but also himself and didn't see his involvement of last years stuff. It was interesting.

Unassisted
02-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Killing Graem (that's how it's spelled in the captions) didn't surprise me so much when it happened. It does make me wonder how Graem will ultimately be linked back to Logan, though. I had figured Graem would eventually spill the beans on having pulled Logan's strings last season.

Puffy
02-06-2007, 11:36 AM
Killing Graem (that's how it's spelled in the captions) didn't surprise me so much when it happened. It does make me wonder how Graem will ultimately be linked back to Logan, though. I had figured Graem would eventually spill the beans on having pulled Logan's strings last season.

Yeah, Logan and his wife are coming back soon - at least the actors are signed on for the season, so....

HotCorner
02-06-2007, 11:59 AM
It does make me wonder how Graem will ultimately be linked back to Logan, though. I had figured Graem would eventually spill the beans on having pulled Logan's strings last season.

He confessed to Jack.

LoganBuck
02-06-2007, 09:03 PM
What do you want to bet that Morris is the name they come up with for the technological whiz Fayed needs to complete his bombs. They sure are dropping the hints, last week he used satelites that he knew about from his private contractor days, then this week everytime the cut from conversations about the new technical specialist, they showed Morris and Chloe working on whatever that was with the wires.

I called it!

Unassisted
02-07-2007, 10:11 AM
He confessed to Jack. Only about having Palmer, Michelle and Tony killed. No mention of linkage to Logan. I guess Jack or Chloe will have to connect those dots.

Matt700wlw
02-07-2007, 02:15 PM
I watched it this morning! AWESOME twists! Love the Graem/Michelle/Tony/David Palmer thing. Like where the story line between Jack and his father could be going......should be interesting.

Tom Lennox is a weasel. I would like to strangle him :D

2 hours on Monday!!! :rockband:

LoganBuck
02-07-2007, 02:22 PM
2 hours on Monday!!! :rockband:

Remember to reset the DVR/Tivo otherwise you will only get one hour! Which is obviously bad.

BTW by my count Jack has only killed three people this year.
1. Black Henchman this week
2. Curtis
3. The terrorist he vampired.

Matt700wlw
02-07-2007, 02:25 PM
BTW by my count Jack has only killed three people this year.
1. Black Henchman this week
2. Curtis
3. The terrorist he vampired.

They're behind. Expect a massacre in the coming weeks :D

Razor Shines
02-13-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm so disapointed in Morris. Jack may be down on his number of kills this year, but Morris has the possibility to set a new record.

rdiersin
02-13-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm so disapointed in Morris. Jack may be down on his number of kills this year, but Morris has the possibility to set a new record.

Yea, this was a pretty disappointing couple of episodes, at least to me. It seems like the show got more intriguing but less interesting. Does that make sense. It seems like there were some little things that have come up, but yet this season hasn't grabbed me yet.

PS Razor Shines, What's up with the Brian Cardinal avatar? ;)

Razor Shines
02-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Yea, this was a pretty disappointing couple of episodes, at least to me. It seems like the show got more intriguing but less interesting. Does that make sense.

PS Razor Shines, What's up with the Brian Cardinal avatar? ;)

Well I liked last nights episodes, I was just hoping that Morris wouldn't help them because I've always like his character, but he may redeem himself.

As far my avatar goes. I don't know if you've seen the "Dr. Hoops" Starter commercial, where the middle aged balding guy is waiting to play pick up basketball and yelling "Illegal defense" and calls himself Dr. Hoops. First I was trying to find a picture of that guy for my avatar, but then I thought that that guy looks kinda like Brian Cardinal, and so Brian Cardinal is the real life Dr. Hoops.

rdiersin
02-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Well I liked last nights episodes, I was just hoping that Morris wouldn't help them because I've always like his character, but he may redeem himself.

I was hoping so too, just because it would be nice to see someone besides Jack not buckle.

HotCorner
02-14-2007, 11:42 AM
I have a hard time with the use of a helicopter by Fayed to escape. A NUCLEAR BOMB went off in the greater LA area and killed 10,000+. You'd think the military and FAA would have the air locked down and would shoot down anything not cleared.

LoganBuck
02-14-2007, 02:09 PM
I have a hard time with the use of a helicopter by Fayed to escape. A NUCLEAR BOMB went off in the greater LA area and killed 10,000+. You'd think the military and FAA would have the air locked down and would shoot down anything not cleared.

They did say it was a medical evacuation chopper, so that they weren't noticed.

I counted three confirmed kills for Jack bringing his total to 6 on the season.

His father is a seriously slimely fella isn't he?

I predict that Peter McNicols character is actually going to stop the plot against Palmer's life. I have nothing to support that stance just my belief.

BTW, have you ever run a drill into yourself? I don't know of anything more painful. I once ran a drill press into my hand and even though it only went in about a 1/3 of an inch, it was excruciating. What Fayed did to Morris about made me pass out.

MWM
02-14-2007, 02:31 PM
I predict that Peter McNicols character is actually going to stop the plot against Palmer's life. I have nothing to support that stance just my belief.

I think you're right. They've gone out of their way this season to get us to hate that guy. I think they do that on purpose to surprise us when he turns out to save the day. The ones who usually wind up being bad guys they tend to portray as sly or mysterious, not as direct as the McNicols character.

Sweetstop
02-14-2007, 02:46 PM
Yeah, Lennox is probably setting himself up as a double agent.

Jack's dad evil? nahhhh...killed one son, set up the other for the murder, and threatens to kill his grandson...wonder how Jack will take him out?

Matt700wlw
02-14-2007, 02:55 PM
I like the family twists......very good! Next week looks VERY interesting!!

I don't know how the writers keep doing this season after season, but it has to be some of the best writing in history.

:clap:

HotCorner
02-14-2007, 03:29 PM

True but if they knew he got on the medical evacuation chopper why not shot it down?

BTW, have you ever run a drill into yourself? I don't know of anything more painful. I once ran a drill press into my hand and even though it only went in about a 1/3 of an inch, it was excruciating. What Fayed did to Morris about made me pass out.

Even more impressive is that Morris is back at his station in less than hour after having his shoulder drilled. It's the new terrorist torture technique: inflict just as much pain just without any maiming! ;)

Razor Shines
02-14-2007, 03:43 PM

I counted three confirmed kills for Jack bringing his total to 6 on the season.

His father is a seriously slimely fella isn't he?

You're telling me he couldn't have held out a little longer? He knew Jack was getting close. I think he should have atleast taken 3 or 4 drill holes to keep from giving a terrorist the ability to detonate 4 nukes.

LoganBuck
02-14-2007, 03:53 PM
You're telling me he couldn't have held out a little longer? He knew Jack was getting close. I think he should have atleast taken 3 or 4 drill holes to keep from giving a terrorist the ability to detonate 4 nukes.

That was one long drill bit. You can't imagine the pain. When Fayed told him he would die from shock or blood loss. He wasn't kidding. The pain is excrutiating. The twisting, ripping, and burrowing is just too much. Morris didn't know how close Jack was. He knew about the helicopter, but he also knew that the vehicle switch under the overpass pretty much would screw up CTU's response time.

LoganBuck
02-14-2007, 03:58 PM
True but if they knew he got on the medical evacuation chopper why not shot it down?

Even more impressive is that Morris is back at his station in less than hour after having his shoulder drilled. It's the new terrorist torture technique: inflict just as much pain just without any maiming! ;)

Too many medical evacuation choppers in the air?

Morris put that thingy together pretty darn fast didn't he? It took him what 5 minutes?

Razor Shines
02-14-2007, 03:59 PM
That was one long drill bit. You can't imagine the pain. When Fayed told him he would die from shock or blood loss. He wasn't kidding. The pain is excrutiating. The twisting, ripping, and burrowing is just too much. Morris didn't know how close Jack was. He knew about the helicopter, but he also knew that the vehicle switch under the overpass pretty much would screw up CTU's response time.

Fayed pretty much said that CTU was outside when they did the "fire drill".

remdog
02-14-2007, 04:01 PM
That was one long drill bit. You can't imagine the pain. When Fayed told him he would die from shock or blood loss. He wasn't kidding. The pain is excrutiating. The twisting, ripping, and burrowing is just too much.

LB: Is this something that you only do occassionally or is it part of your routine 'sensual experience'? :laugh: JK

Rem

Roy Tucker
02-14-2007, 04:48 PM
I think you're right. They've gone out of their way this season to get us to hate that guy. I think they do that on purpose to surprise us when he turns out to save the day. The ones who usually wind up being bad guys they tend to portray as sly or mysterious, not as direct as the McNicols character.

Yeah, however misguided it is, Lennox is acting out of patriotism. He is doing what he thinks in the right thing (which is a whole interesting discussion in itself).

It's the Chad Lowe character that is totally amoral. He's the one that will be the ultimate fly in the ointment. Reminds me of the advisor to Gene Hackman in "No Way Out" that utterly flipped out (forget his name).

MWM
02-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Yeah, however misguided it is, Lennox is acting out of patriotism. He is doing what he thinks in the right thing (which is a whole interesting discussion in itself).

It's the Chad Lowe character that is totally amoral. He's the one that will be the ultimate fly in the ointment. Reminds me of the advisor to Gene Hackman in "No Way Out" that utterly flipped out (forget his name).

I agree. One thing I think the show has done very well this year is portraying both sides of the rights vs. security argument. It's not a simple question and I think they've not been too judgmental in how they present both sides. It's rare for something to be fair when it's coming from Hollywood, but I think they've done it here.

Sweetstop
02-14-2007, 06:17 PM
I agree. One thing I think the show has done very well this year is portraying both sides of the rights vs. security argument. It's not a simple question and I think they've not been too judgmental in how they present both sides. It's rare for something to be fair when it's coming from Hollywood, but I think they've done it here.

I agree...evidently the right-wingers think it's their show, but I disagree. No more politics...sorry.

MWM
02-14-2007, 06:21 PM
I've never seen it that way. I think they've done a decent job of leaving politics out of it. If anything, I always thought there was a slight left bias, but nothing over-bearing. But that's just me.

Sweetstop
02-14-2007, 06:24 PM
I've never seen it that way. I think they've done a decent job of leaving politics out of it. If anything, I always thought there was a slight left bias, but nothing over-bearing. But that's just me.

Oh, I quite agree w/ you or I wouldn't be watching it. But evidently, Rush and gang enjoy...

Razor Shines
02-14-2007, 06:28 PM
I agree...evidently the right-wingers think it's their show, but I disagree. No more politics...sorry.

Actually I just want to be entertained as I think most other "right-wingers" do. Joel Surnow is a "right-winger" and he's said that they are not trying to push any political view, they just are trying to make it entertaining and somewhat believable.

MWM
02-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Oh, I quite agree w/ you or I wouldn't be watching it. But evidently, Rush and gang enjoy...

Ah, your comment makes more sense now. The last thing I ever heard out of the mouth of Rush had something to do with Donovan McNabb. I'd rather listen to 2 straight hours of Roseanne singing the National Anthem than hear a single word that spews out of his mouth.

Razor Shines
02-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Re-reading it I realize I read something into it that probably wasn't there.

MWM
02-14-2007, 06:42 PM
I'm sorry I can't help it but are you saying that if a show doesn't slant the way you like things to slant you wouldn't watch it?

That's not what she said at all. Not even close. I think we should just move on.

Razor Shines
02-14-2007, 06:51 PM
That's not what she said at all. Not even close. I think we should just move on.

You're right. I read what I wanted to read, not what was there.

Sweetstop
02-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Ah, your comment makes more sense now. The last thing I ever heard out of the mouth of Rush had something to do with Donovan McNabb. I'd rather listen to 2 straight hours of Roseanne singing the National Anthem than hear a single word that spews out of his mouth.

I've listened to Rush Limbaugh maybe two minutes in my life. I read about this in an article in either Time or Newsweek.

Roy Tucker
02-15-2007, 07:35 AM
One thing I do wish they'd stop doing is divulging so much in the previews for next week.

Like a couple weeks ago when the cliffhanger was Jack and his dad going to their apparent doom when the previews showed them escaping. Again this week, they showed Jack becoming aware of what his dad was up to. Cut that out!

savafan
02-15-2007, 09:17 AM
One thing I do wish they'd stop doing is divulging so much in the previews for next week.

Like a couple weeks ago when the cliffhanger was Jack and his dad going to their apparent doom when the previews showed them escaping. Again this week, they showed Jack becoming aware of what his dad was up to. Cut that out!

I quit watching the previews. Thanks Roy.

DTCromer
02-15-2007, 09:44 AM
I have to admit, my first episode of 24 was this year's 1st episode and I've only seen this year's episodes. But this series has completely jumped the shark. I barely watched last week after the first 3-4 were awesome. I guess they're finding dead ends on how to make this show exciting without making some unbelievable scenes.

FutureRedsGM
02-15-2007, 09:49 AM
But this series has completely jumped the shark.

What does that mean? I have heard "jumped the shark" several times and I'm just as clueless every time.

Puffy
02-15-2007, 09:53 AM
What does that mean? I have heard "jumped the shark" several times and I'm just as clueless every time.

A guy named John Hein and some of his friends started a website a few years back discussing when a show went from relevant to unwatchable. The "jumped the shark" reference comes from Happy Days when they went to California and Fonzie jumped the shark with his leather jacket still on. Most people say that was the end of Happy Days. There's your jump the shark lexicon.

http://jumptheshark.com/

registerthis
02-15-2007, 10:04 AM
I have to admit, my first episode of 24 was this year's 1st episode and I've only seen this year's episodes. But this series has completely jumped the shark.

Perhaps "jump the shark" isn't the term you're looking for here. To "jump the shark", a show has to have been good at some point, and then hit a downward spiral. But, never having watched an episode previous to this year, you couldn't say whether or not it has gone downhill. Perhaps it has always been the way it is this year, and you simply don't like the show?

DTCromer
02-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Perhaps "jump the shark" isn't the term you're looking for here. To "jump the shark", a show has to have been good at some point, and then hit a downward spiral. But, never having watched an episode previous to this year, you couldn't say whether or not it has gone downhill. Perhaps it has always been the way it is this year, and you simply don't like the show?

It's ridiculous as to what's happened. I've heard sooooo many good things about this show. The first few episodes were great. . . it was fairly believable.

But the fact that Jack's father was allowed to spend some alone time with his son and no one is questioning whether his father did it isn't believable.

The fact that a helicopter just happened to crash at the exact same intersection where Jack was at and he rescued a person just as it was falling off the roof. Personally, I'm not sure why that scene was in there at all.

I could on about a few other incidents, but maybe the loyal followers of 24 don't want to admit that this season doesn't stack up to others (at least that's what I've read from other viewers).

It just seems a tad too incredulous for me.

Razor Shines
02-15-2007, 11:51 AM
It's ridiculous as to what's happened. I've heard sooooo many good things about this show. The first few episodes were great. . . it was fairly believable.

But the fact that Jack's father was allowed to spend some alone time with his son and no one is questioning whether his father did it isn't believable.

The fact that a helicopter just happened to crash at the exact same intersection where Jack was at and he rescued a person just as it was falling off the roof. Personally, I'm not sure why that scene was in there at all.

I could on about a few other incidents, but maybe the loyal followers of 24 don't want to admit that this season doesn't stack up to others (at least that's what I've read from other viewers).

I don't know if you realize this or not but it's fiction, and occasionally in fictional stories somewhat unbelievable things happen. This is not a documentary, Jack Bauer is not a real person. And it wasn't a coincidence that the helicopter crashed within Jack's view, the writers wrote it that way on purpose.

LoganBuck
02-15-2007, 01:13 PM
Jack Bauer is not a real person.

Shhh! Thats what they want you to think.

DT, If you haven't watched the show before you don't understand that this is how it always is. Part of the fun is complaining about that stuff. Like how Jack has the best cellphone signal ever, or how he manages traffic in LA.

creek14
02-15-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm starting to lose interest. One can suspend only so much reality.

savafan
02-15-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm starting to lose interest. One can suspend only so much reality.

You're not the only one, I'm there with you, as are my mom and friend who all watch the show.

I'm gonna stick with it, because I have nothing better to do, but they need to fix this quick.

Jack's dad walking around CTU completely carefree giving creepy glances and ominously talking on his cellphone when they know that his company is linked to the Russian general responsible for the nukes is almost too much to handle.

And yet another assassination attempt on a President Palmer...that storyline's been done, ad nauseum...

creek14
02-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Jack's dad walking around CTU completely carefree giving creepy glances and ominously talking on his cellphone when they know that his company is linked to the Russian general responsible for the nukes is almost too much to handle.

You can't even have cell phones in a secure building - no one can have one- especially not a visitor. And speaking of visitors, if you don't have the appropriate clearance, you have to be escorted at all times. Just drives me crazy.

Never mind the total lack of traffic and panic in a city that has just been hit by a nuke.

And the free time the President and staff seem to have - just another day at the office, I guess.

And don't get me started on the technology...

savafan
02-16-2007, 12:07 PM
http://www.movieweb.com/tv/news/71/17771.php

24 PRODUCER AGREES TO CUT TORTURE SCENES
Although denying that he is reacting to growing international criticism, Howard Gordon, an executive producer of Fox's 24, has disclosed that the show plans to cut back on torture scenes. "What was once an extraordinary or exceptional moment is starting to feel a little trite. The idea of physical coercion or torture is no longer a novelty or surprise," Gordon told today's (Thursday) Philadelphia Inquirer. ""It's not something that we, as writers, want to use as a crutch. We'd like to find other ways for Jack to get information out of suspects," he added. Gordon's comments came after the New Yorker magazine reported that Brigadier General Patrick Finnegan, dean of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point and an eminent military lawyer, had flown to California to meet producers of the show. Finnegan reportedly told the producers that promoting illegal behavior on the show was having a damaging effect on U.S. troops in Iraq. Finnegan told the magazine, "The kids see it and say, 'If torture is wrong, what about 24?'" In response, Gordon told the Inquirer, "The thesis that we are affecting our soldiers in Iraq in their treatment of prisoners is being exaggerated, I think. Hopefully, there are a lot of filters between their watching 24 and their work in the field."

Razor Shines
02-16-2007, 02:14 PM
http://www.movieweb.com/tv/news/71/17771.php

24 PRODUCER AGREES TO CUT TORTURE SCENES
Although denying that he is reacting to growing international criticism, Howard Gordon, an executive producer of Fox's 24, has disclosed that the show plans to cut back on torture scenes. "What was once an extraordinary or exceptional moment is starting to feel a little trite. The idea of physical coercion or torture is no longer a novelty or surprise," Gordon told today's (Thursday) Philadelphia Inquirer. ""It's not something that we, as writers, want to use as a crutch. We'd like to find other ways for Jack to get information out of suspects," he added. Gordon's comments came after the New Yorker magazine reported that Brigadier General Patrick Finnegan, dean of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point and an eminent military lawyer, had flown to California to meet producers of the show. Finnegan reportedly told the producers that promoting illegal behavior on the show was having a damaging effect on U.S. troops in Iraq. Finnegan told the magazine, "The kids see it and say, 'If torture is wrong, what about 24?'" In response, Gordon told the Inquirer, "The thesis that we are affecting our soldiers in Iraq in their treatment of prisoners is being exaggerated, I think. Hopefully, there are a lot of filters between their watching 24 and their work in the field."

It's weird that I've been hearing so much about what Finnegan told them lately. He met with them back in November. And the other day Joel Surnow got Keith Olberman's "Worst Person in the World" for not attending the meeting, even though the top two producers and most of the writers did attend, and like I said it was back in November.

forfreelin04
02-17-2007, 01:08 AM

The Helicppter scene was in there to signify Jack regaining his will to work for CTU again. Previous to that, he killed Curtis and already had trouble interrogating because of his problems in China. By helping the dudes with the helicopter it showed that he still could help CTU and save the day.

savafan
02-17-2007, 05:19 AM
It's too bad that the helicopter didn't fall on Graem...that would have been too funny. ;)

LoganBuck
02-19-2007, 11:29 PM
2 more kills, for a total of 8 for Jack.

Jack's dad will surface again.

Logan is such an evil jerk.

Do we have to have the Milo, Morris, Chloe competancy thingy going on?

Lennox was doing the double cross! Too bad he is as good as dead now.

savafan
02-20-2007, 02:30 AM
It was thrilling to see Logan tonight, I didn't see that coming.

savafan
02-20-2007, 05:03 AM
I'm still buzzing on last night's episode. What a great episode it was, much better than last week's. Not sure what to think of Philip now...and the whole Logan thing impressed me. Plus, Lennox may yet be able to redeem his character, and Chad Lowe has to be borderline retarded.

Sweetstop
02-20-2007, 10:39 AM
I like Logan's beard. Makes him look a bit more manly.:D

savafan
02-20-2007, 11:34 AM
I like how he comes back in to save the day on President's Day. Coincidence?

Sweetstop
02-20-2007, 12:29 PM
I like how he comes back in to save the day on President's Day. Coincidence?

Probably not. Joel Sarnow is uber-patriotic. There's a great 8 page story about him and his politics and "24" in the latest New Yorker. Huge American flag from Army unit stationed in Bagdad hanging on his office wall...cried when Reagan died, etc.

Razor Shines
02-20-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm still buzzing on last night's episode. What a great episode it was, much better than last week's. Not sure what to think of Philip now...and the whole Logan thing impressed me. Plus, Lennox may yet be able to redeem his character, and Chad Lowe has to be borderline retarded.

I thought last nights episode was one of the best this season. I loved seeing Logan back at the end. I think it'll be fun to see him and Jack work together in the coming weeks.

marcshoe
02-20-2007, 02:10 PM

Chad never could measure up to his brother. Rob served in the White House for a couple of years, and he never once got involved in a plot to assasinate the president. Chad spends a few hours there and look what happens. ;)

registerthis
02-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Rob served in the White House for a couple of years, and he never once got involved in a plot to assasinate the president.

yeah, but the call girl almost took him down.

Roy Tucker
02-20-2007, 03:55 PM
Jack's dad sure did pull a Houdini act when he disappeared.

Pulling in Charles Logan was a nice twist. Looks like a mountain man now. I can't wait to see Martha. Martha was the bomb last year.

God help me. Last night, when Jack cast goo-goo eyes upon Marilyn, my 13 yr. old daughter said "oooohhhhhh, I could feel that look from Jack all the way down my spine". Sure thing sweetie, now go put on 14 pairs of overalls please.

Who is Chad Lowe married to?

Puffy
02-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Jack's dad sure did pull a Houdini act when he disappeared.

Pulling in Charles Logan was a nice twist. Looks like a mountain man now. I can't wait to see Martha. Martha was the bomb last year.

God help me. Last night, when Jack cast goo-goo eyes upon Marilyn, my 13 yr. old daughter said "oooohhhhhh, I could feel that look from Jack all the way down my spine". Sure thing sweetie, now go put on 14 pairs of overalls please.

Who is Chad Lowe married to?

Was married to Hilary Swank but they split last year

Matt700wlw
02-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Very good episode on Monday.

This thing is about to take a new twist with Jack, Phillip, and Logan. I don't think Marilyn and Josh are out of the picture, either. Maybe Kim will come back, if for nothing else, because she's hot :)

I'm ready for Monday!!

Raisor
02-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Maybe Kim will come back, if for nothing else, because she's hot :)

Kim will come back, makeout with Jack's "nephew", find out he's her sister and get attacked by a muskrat.

Redsland
02-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Kim will come back, makeout with Jack's "nephew", find out he's her sister and get attacked by a muskrat.
And team up to destroy the Death Star.

:starwars:

savafan
02-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Couldn't we just let her get eaten by the cougar? It'd be poetic justice.

RFS62
02-23-2007, 08:39 PM

I heard the muskrat idea was killed by corporate. They're looking for any possible product placement.

I hear they're reviving these guys for the "attack Kim" scene.

creek14
02-24-2007, 03:10 PM
Searching for '24' on the Web
A quest for the Fox television show "24" on the Web can only begin with the series' most exasperating feature this season.

It's not the casual use of torture that has drawn fire from liberal critics and even, reportedly, straight shooters in the military. It's not Jane Mayer's recent New Yorker piece detailing the gleefully right-wing politics of series creator Joel Surnow, who is trying to be to the war on terrorism what Mel Gibson is to a soft-focus Jesus.

It's not even Surnow's new and decidedly amateur conservative satirical news program for Fox News Channel, "The Half-Hour News Hour," the existence of which frames "24" in a context that wasn't completely clear before.

No, the quest begins, as most quests do, in Google. (Lancelot would have typed, "Holy Grail, location of.") For our more modern search, we type "Mary Lynn Rajskub one expression."

We type this because the scenes at the series' "CTU," or Counter Terrorist Unit, the fictional government agency where Kiefer Sutherland's Jack Bauer works to prevent terrorists from setting off (more) nuclear bombs in the U.S., have been painful and because the most painful aspect of them is the way actress Rajskub has the exact same expression on her face all the time.

That's not strictly true. Her Chloe, a computer genius of some sort, veers from a grimace to a wince and sometimes back again. The expression depends on whether her boyfriend, ex-husband and fellow computer specialist Morris, is spending this fictional hour whining about his jealousy or his cowardice.

What Rajskub is doing is not acting. It's depression. Or maybe botox. Or a silent protest against all the cliches she's forced to speak. And Morris is so desperate to avoid working he might as well be using his supercomputer to play YouTube videos.

The result is that CTU, with all of its timeouts to handle employees' sensitive personal feelings in the midst of the greatest nuclear crisis the nation has ever faced, looks far worse than post-Katrina FEMA.

Heckuva job, Chloe.

Anyway, you type this into Google and are stunned to find no one else is as bothered by this as you are, at least not in the same search terms. Then, down at the bottom of the first results page, you see the link to an article in England's Guardian, a great newspaper with a great Web site. Could it be? Nope. Just a standard Rajskub puff piece save for one revealing quote: As a child, she says, "I practised [she said it the British way] not having any expression. Because I didn't want people to know what I was thinking or feeling."

Mission accomplished, to borrow another relevant presidential quote.

We turn elsewhere. A look at the reviews from the nation's TV critics, collected at Metacritic, finds very few of them concerned about "24's" overtly pro-torture politics, despite the prevailing wisdom among people who interrogate that torture does not work.

On edge of their seats

Most seem to go along with Sutherland, a Democrat, who, we learn, has tried to shrug it off by saying, in essence, "it's just a TV show." Brutalizing kneecaps and injecting lethal drugs is good, taut television. It holds the attention.

Surnow and his show are not stupid enough to staple an all-out screed to the top of the Constitution. There's a compelling liberal-conservative pushme-pullyou going on in "24's" White House over what to do in response to the terrorist bombing wave. Right now, before Monday's new episode airs, aides are plotting to kill the president because he won't lock up American Muslims willy nilly.

A better assassination motive is that his personifier, actor D.B. Woodside, is positively Rajskubian, offering the same note, earnest, whispery concern, over and over again. Powers Boothe as vice president is waiting in the wings, ready to usher in a good old civil-liberties clampdown and some of that "Deadwood" stew of evil and need.

But the sustaining note of "24" this season is the intra-family drama of Jack Bauer, with his businessman dad turning out to be a terrorist collaborator willing to kill both sons and his only grandson. Does it help that he's played by James Cromwell, who, like Sutherland, is capable of infusing the script's platitudes with emotional power? Big time.

Don't look Cromwell up on IMDB, though, because the Internet Movie Database will remind you that he played the gentle farmer in "Babe." Suddenly less ruthless.

You can find the last four "24" episodes for free on MySpace (a Fox corporate partner) at myspace.com/24, where the show has 106,711 "friends." The ads play smoothly, but the video, on my midrange home setup, runs pretty choppily but it'll serve the purpose if you miss an episode.

You can also download them for a fee from iTunes or Amazon. Google Video and YouTube counter with a "Jack Bauer management infomercial" and a hilarious compilation reel of all of Jack Bauer's utterances of "damn it" from the series' first four seasons. There are 90 seconds of them.

The Mayer piece on Surnow's politics is easily found -- and free -- at thenewyorker.com. It's glib on the reason for his beliefs -- poor boy in Beverly Hills -- but a nimble takedown of the series' explicit endorsement of torture, including a powerful moment where concerned military experts try to talk producers into using less violent interrogation techniques.

The blogosphere is busy not just with mash notes to the show from fans and irreverent episode recaps, but also in debating "24's" politics. To dip your toes in the abundant flow, type in "Jack Bauer," a better search term to use than "24," at blog tracking service Technorati.

Howard Beale figure

Then, in the search for "24's" Web traces, there is this quote from MSNBC anchor Keith Olbermann, who's increasingly serving as a Howard Beale figure for the nation's silent liberals: "Is `24' just entertainment," Olbermann asked in a mid-January show transcribed at msnbc.com, "or is it propaganda designed to keep people thinking about domestic terrorism -- to keep us scared?"

Oh, by the way: Gredenko got out of the house because Morris tipped him off. The whining will prove to have been a smokescreen. And when Chloe figures it out, we know exactly what her face will look like.

guttle11
02-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Random thoughts:

Morris didn't wipe.

Why did the sign on the bathroom door say "Men" on the inside, but not on the outside? Are the CTU people smart enough to read the picture and infer it's the men's room, but not smart enough to remember where they are once they enter?

HotCorner
02-26-2007, 10:57 PM
Random thoughts:

Morris didn't wipe.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think he may have been boozing in the stall hence the lack of a wipe.

savafan
02-26-2007, 11:12 PM

I hope that's it...then again, it's a good thing he doesn't type with his gluteous maximus.

guttle11
02-27-2007, 01:06 AM

I thought that too, until he pulled the booze from his back pocket after Chloe left. And Chloe's a hawk, she would have seen the stuff or smelled it at the least.

He did wash his hands, though.

LoganBuck
02-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Morris is a boob, but I keep rooting for him. I see him doing something big.

I hope Palmer survived, I have been rooting for him and Lennox.

Chloe is going to blow a gasket

Jack's kill count is unchanged

I don't like the Logan storyline, and didn't we just read about how they were cutting back on the torture? The preview for next week shows some possible torture.

redsrule2500
03-02-2007, 10:55 PM
I really like the torture personally. Makes it more intense/realistic.

What are they gonna do, bribe them with plea bargains again...lame!

Matt700wlw
03-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Morris is a boob, but I keep rooting for him. I see him doing something big.

I hope Palmer survived, I have been rooting for him and Lennox.

Chloe is going to blow a gasket

Jack's kill count is unchanged

I don't like the Logan storyline, and didn't we just read about how they were cutting back on the torture? The preview for next week shows some possible torture.

I'm all about the torture.

creek14
03-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Ouch.

http://www.b-bawards.com/images/cigar_trimmer.jpg

OldRightHander
03-07-2007, 06:51 AM
Ouch.

I've often thought a similar device would be an appropriate treatment for pedophiles, but that's a different topic altogether.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Ouch.

A friend of mine lost a fingertip to one of those one drunken evening.

Redsland
03-07-2007, 10:45 AM
A friend of mine lost a fingertip to one of those one drunken evening.
Who was he working for?

WHO WAS HE WORKING FOR??!!

:bash:

:)

MWM
03-07-2007, 07:32 PM
I've grown kind of bored with this season.

savafan
03-08-2007, 01:00 PM
I've grown kind of bored with this season.

I am too...and I hate that, because I've always loved this show, but they need to give me something fresh, because all I'm getting right now is a rehash of the last five years. Hopefully Ricky Schroeder can instill some new breath into this show next week.

Redsland
03-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Hopefully Ricky Schroeder can instill some new breath into this show next week.
Yeah. Either him or his friend.
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/schrodermrtsilverspoonspressphoto.jpg

Razor Shines
03-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Anybody have any thoughts on whether Shroeder is just a temporary character or if they'll give him a regular role? I hope it's regular, I thought he was good in his time on NYPD Blue.

creek14
03-08-2007, 08:45 PM
As crazy as work has been the past few months, I enjoy the relative calm of the nukes and torture of 24.

HotCorner
03-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Interesting episode. Unfortunately I saw Martha's "revenge" coming a mile away because the focus lingered too long on the knife when she was cutting the fruit. I knew that was a bad sign just like when an unknown CTU agent accompanies Jack on a mission. You know that poor soul doesn't stand a chance.

Roy Tucker
03-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Martha goes postal. Actually, I thought she was going to slice her own wrists. I can't say I'm on pins and needles about Logan dying. He dies. So what?

I liked the dynamic for Martha and Aaron last year, but now that they are together, there is a bit of a "eeeeewwww" factor. I wonder if Aaron knew he signed up for the wacko watch.

Tom Lennox has been an interesting character. My opinion of him has gone up and down. The man has a conscience.

LoganBuck
03-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Jack's kill count went up at least by one, but I missed the exact count when he was in the basement room with the girl. My darn DVR timers fell back an hour to accomediate daylight savings time. I caught on too late, and missed a few parts last week.

Who cares if Logan dies anyway?

Silver Spoons came off as a hardass.

What is the Vice President's real agenda. I think Lennox is on to him, but what can he do about it?

remdog
03-13-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm losing interest in the show rapidly. Most of it has to do with the predictable story line but things like people playing tennis (in the background) when a nuke has just gone off leaves me rolling my eyes. :rolleyes:

I know it's fiction but let's at least make it somewhat believeable.

Rem

HotCorner
03-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Tom Lennox has been an interesting character. My opinion of him has gone up and down. The man has a conscience.

I agree.

Razor Shines
03-13-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm losing interest in the show rapidly. Most of it has to do with the predictable story line but things like people playing tennis (in the background) when a nuke has just gone off leaves me rolling my eyes. :rolleyes:

Rem

Oh come on, people have to get on with their lives. It's already been several hours since the nuke went off in the state they live in. How long do you expect them to live in fear? For a whole day? Until all the nukes have been found? Tennis does not take a back seat to fear!!

remdog
03-13-2007, 04:23 PM
Oh come on, people have to get on with their lives. It's already been several hours since the nuke a nuke went off in the state they live in. How long do you expect them to live in fear? For a whole day? Until all the nukes have been found? Tennis does not take a back seat to fear!!

You're correct. But, if it had been me, I would have been out there playing singles instead of wasting my time on a namby pamby doubles match! :evil:

Rem

BuckeyeRed27
03-13-2007, 04:28 PM

Rem

I'm not losing interest and I thought last night was great, but I agree with the tennis thing. I saw that and just started laughing. I mean my first thought after 9/11 was to pick up my racket and head on down to the country club for a pick up game.

cincy jacket
03-13-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm not losing interest and I thought last night was great, but I agree with the tennis thing. I saw that and just started laughing. I mean my first thought after 9/11 was to pick up my racket and head on down to the country club for a pick up game.

I agree I think the show has turned a corner for the season and I am very interested to see how the rest of the season goes, especially the Tom Lennox storyline. After 9/11 that night I also went golfing. I was in the Dayton area and heard that giant boom around 5:30 and started me thinking that maybe I should have just stayed home.

HotCorner
03-13-2007, 04:56 PM
This was a mental institution correct? Most of these folks are not necessarily dealing with reality.

MWM
03-13-2007, 08:16 PM
This season blows! I'm surprised the writers of the show thought this story line would be intriguing. This is easily the weakest season yet.

savafan
03-14-2007, 12:40 AM
I'm going to be real upset if the writers just dropped the entire story line with Jack's dad and Graeme's family...

LoganBuck
03-14-2007, 07:53 AM
I'm going to be real upset if the writers just dropped the entire story line with Jack's dad and Graeme's family...

Get ready for it then, because we still don't know what happened to Logan's assistant and her daughter last year.

Unassisted
03-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Anybody have any thoughts on whether Shroeder is just a temporary character or if they'll give him a regular role? I hope it's regular, I thought he was good in his time on NYPD Blue.

Although CTU does need a permanent replacement for Curtis, I doubt that Rick's character survives the season. He left NYPD Blue because he couldn't stand the grind and long-term commitment of series television.

I impressed my son last night by predicting what Martha was going to do with the knife about 5 seconds before she did it.

With the technique Martha was using at the cutting board, I thought she was going to injure herself. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me that institutionalized people would get such free access to cutlery, nor that a former Secret Service agent would not see the obvious hazard that cutlery would be in that situation.

Sweetstop
03-14-2007, 01:02 PM
nor that a former Secret Service agent would not see the obvious hazard that cutlery would be in that situation.

Aaron's in love.:luvu:

LoganBuck
03-14-2007, 01:19 PM
Anyone who DVR'd the show you give me the kill count for Jack when he was in the basement of the embassy? He got the guy at the beginning of the show, but what about when he and the girl and her amorous friend were in the room downstairs. My DVR did not work right because of daylight savings time.

savafan
03-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Anyone who DVR'd the show you give me the kill count for Jack when he was in the basement of the embassy? He got the guy at the beginning of the show, but what about when he and the girl and her amorous friend were in the room downstairs. My DVR did not work right because of daylight savings time.

Here's the episode if you'd like to watch it:

http://dv.ouou.com/swf/ouou.swf?id=38d7f45c0e89c

LoganBuck
03-15-2007, 12:19 AM
Here's the episode if you'd like to watch it:

http://dv.ouou.com/swf/ouou.swf?id=38d7f45c0e89c

Darn it man, I have dialup!

If we had a smiley of a race between an ox drawn wagon and a fighter jet it would be appropriate.

Roy Tucker
03-15-2007, 10:10 AM

http://www.bauercount.com/v3/index.php/season/show/6

LoganBuck
03-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Awesome Roy.

I gave Jack credit for three kills during the raid to save Morris. He only gave him 2. I don't have the tape, and I can't really download again. So his is official.

creek14
03-16-2007, 06:38 PM
The writers are lazy. They think the viewing public will always tune in because past seasons have been good.

I'm giving them one more week, then I'm gone.

Allegro
03-20-2007, 08:01 AM
Decent episode last night,at least we did not have to watch anymore of Martha Logan. Is Charles Logan dead? So is Jack now going to go after the Chinese? I did not see that twist coming.

Roy Tucker
03-20-2007, 08:15 AM
I have to say, for having a nuclear-tipped cruise missile heading for a major west coast city, the government (vice-president, cabinet, air force, etc.) seem awfully cavalier about it all.

Everyone is waiting for one CTU wonk to "backtrack the pulse through the sub-net" or some such techbabble. I would hope they'd be trying more than that.

Same thing for the hospital where President Palmer is. The security around his room seems about the same as my grandma in Christ Hospital in for gall bladder surgery.

registerthis
03-20-2007, 08:28 AM
I have to say, for having a nuclear-tipped cruise missile heading for a major west coast city, the government (vice-president, cabinet, air force, etc.) seem awfully cavalier about it all.

Everyone is waiting for one CTU wonk to "backtrack the pulse through the sub-net" or some such techbabble. I would hope they'd be trying more than that.

Same thing for the hospital where President Palmer is. The security around his room seems about the same as my grandma in Christ Hospital in for gall bladder surgery.

Agreed. And the idea that they could keep the shooting--and subsequent near-death--of a President under wraps for hours is laughable.

GAC
03-20-2007, 08:45 AM
I'm still trying to get thru season 1, which I have on DVD :p:

GIK
03-20-2007, 09:37 AM
I've missed the last four episodes (but have them DVR'd). How does everyone feel about this season? Is it worth me picking back up?

registerthis
03-20-2007, 09:46 AM
I've missed the last four episodes (but have them DVR'd). How does everyone feel about this season? Is it worth me picking back up?

Personally, I don't think it's nearly as good as last year's...but since my wife and I have caught all of the episodes thus far, we're going to stick with it. I don't know that I'd pick it up if I had missed the last month, though. Guess it depends on how much time you like to spend in front of the TV.

Roy Tucker
03-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Personally, I don't think it's nearly as good as last year's...but since my wife and I have caught all of the episodes thus far, we're going to stick with it. I don't know that I'd pick it up if I had missed the last month, though. Guess it depends on how much time you like to spend in front of the TV.

That's my take as well. Last year, it seemed the writers were trying to out-do themselves each week. The pace of the show was about 300% faster than years previous. Plot arcs that I expected to take weeks got resolved (or escalated) during that same show.

This year, the plots have been patch-work. Seemingly very important story arcs get dropped. Odd plots get followed a little too long. Funny things get just thrown in like it was an afterthought (like last night's information about Audrey). Most of it has been pretty predictable with Jack continuing to swoop in and save the day (he's disarmed 2 nukes now if I'm not mistaken).

It's still 24 and its still pretty good. But last year was a 9 or 10 and this year is maybe a 7.

GIK
03-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I think I'm going to drop it. Last year I was hooked and this year not so much (thus me DVR'ing them). I've been hooked on "Heroes" and, honestly, I'd rather watch "Two and a Half Men" at the same time instead.

Sweetstop
03-20-2007, 10:44 AM
That's my take as well. Last year, it seemed the writers were trying to out-do themselves each week. The pace of the show was about 300% faster than years previous. Plot arcs that I expected to take weeks got resolved (or escalated) during that same show.

This year, the plots have been patch-work. Seemingly very important story arcs get dropped. Odd plots get followed a little too long. Funny things get just thrown in like it was an afterthought (like last night's information about Audrey). Most of it has been pretty predictable with Jack continuing to swoop in and save the day (he's disarmed 2 nukes now if I'm not mistaken).

It's still 24 and its still pretty good. But last year was a 9 or 10 and this year is maybe a 7.

You're right. It's still pretty good. Somehow, w/ 24, pretty good doesn't seem good enough, though.:)

MrCinatit
03-20-2007, 10:57 AM
I will admit it is nowhere as good as last year, or other previous years.
However, I will stick with it. I guess once I get stuck on a show, I tend to stick around - no matter how dark the years get (I even stuck around The Drew Carey Show during its pathetic last years).

TeamBoone
03-20-2007, 11:29 AM
I was astounded by the news of Audrey's death (if she really IS dead).... because.... wasn't she in the first episode? Maybe I'm just losing it.

Razor Shines
03-20-2007, 01:06 PM
Awesome Roy.

I gave Jack credit for three kills during the raid to save Morris. He only gave him 2. I don't have the tape, and I can't really download again. So his is official.

He got two and possibly three (if the controller dies) last night.

LoganBuck
03-20-2007, 01:15 PM
I was astounded by the news of Audrey's death (if she really IS dead).... because.... wasn't she in the first episode? Maybe I'm just losing it.

She was in the "Previously on 24" of the first episode.

Last nights show was pretty good imo. However, in one ten minute section they try to explain Jack and Graeme's wifes history and Audrey. It was clunky and it didn't work it left me wanting more.

Nadia a terrorist? How do all these whackos get into CTU or the President's Bunker? Makes you think that NSA could do a little better job.

Razor Shines
03-20-2007, 01:19 PM
She was in the "Previously on 24" of the first episode.

Last nights show was pretty good imo. However, in one ten minute section they try to explain Jack and Graeme's wifes history and Audrey. It was clunky and it didn't work it left me wanting more.

Nadia a terrorist? How do all these whackos get into CTU or the President's Bunker? Makes you think that NSA could do a little better job.

I doubt it was her, it's never the first person they think it is on this show. My money is on Milo, or someone we don't know yet.

Roy Tucker
03-20-2007, 01:25 PM
When they said Audrey was allegedly killed in China and something about DNA, I thought "24, Season 7, Jack looks for Audrey in China".

The power of Jack must be mighty. Marilyn is attempting a lip-lock mere hours after her husband's death.

I think CTU needs a new IT manager if their system can be hacked into so easily.

Jack's many hours of video gaming came in handy to guide the drone away from harm. Although the ocean seemed a better target than some dock in Oakland.

savafan
03-20-2007, 01:25 PM
I doubt it was her, it's never the first person they think it is on this show.

Not true. Season 1, it really was Nina and Jamie.

Razor Shines
03-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Not true. Season 1, it really was Nina and Jamie.

I don't remember season 1 all that well, but didn't they make us think it was Tony before either of them?

klw
03-20-2007, 01:31 PM
[QUOTE=Roy Tucker;1268462]When they said Audrey was allegedly killed in China and something about DNA, I thought "24, Season 7, Jack looks for Audrey in China". QUOTE]

I thought "24- the movie in which we will not be bound to the real time concept."

BuckeyeRed27
03-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Jack's many hours of video gaming came in handy to guide the drone away from harm. Although the ocean seemed a better target than some dock in Oakland.

I was wondering that too. Why not just splash the thing in the bay or something? Oh well. At least he wasn't landing a 727 on a freeway.

klw
03-20-2007, 01:32 PM

East coast bias

savafan
03-20-2007, 02:19 PM
I thought "24- the movie in which we will not be bound to thereal time concept."

This is what I thought as well.

MrCinatit
03-20-2007, 06:15 PM
I don't remember season 1 all that well, but didn't they make us think it was Tony before either of them?

You would be correct. Tony was very much under suspicion.

Unassisted
03-20-2007, 09:25 PM
When they said Audrey was allegedly killed in China and something about DNA, I thought "24, Season 7, Jack looks for Audrey in China".

My knee-jerk reaction when I heard that news was that a conspiracy somehow related to that would figure into the final few episodes of this season and carry over into next season.

The power of Jack must be mighty. Marilyn is attempting a lip-lock mere hours after her husband's death.

I wondered about that myself. Made me think she must really not have been so fond of ol' Graeme. :laugh:

I was expecting her to use that occasion to drop the bombshell (speculated upon earlier here?) that her kid is really Jack's son. Instead she rolled another grenade into the conversation.

Now that Jack and Doyle are working together, I'm wondering which will be the first to tell the other one to ease off during an interrogation.

creek14
03-21-2007, 07:06 AM
I doubt we would have heard anything about Audrey if her new show, The Nine, hadn't been cancelled. As soon as that news came out a couple months ago, I was pretty sure she'd turn up back on 24 - and not just as a dead sidebar.

BuckeyeRed27
03-21-2007, 11:07 AM
I doubt we would have heard anything about Audrey if her new show, The Nine, hadn't been cancelled. As soon as that news came out a couple months ago, I was pretty sure she'd turn up back on 24 - and not just as a dead sidebar.

Well you can be on two shows at once. Marilyn is on Hero's although she has not appeared in several weeks as Nathan's wife.

Matt700wlw
03-21-2007, 12:05 PM

Maybe she's not really dead.... :)

creek14
03-21-2007, 03:52 PM
Well you can be on two shows at once. Marilyn is on Hero's although she has not appeared in several weeks as Nathan's wife.

Marilyn is a minor player on both shows. Audrey had a big role on The Nine, don't know if she would have had time to do both.

Although a long, long ago Heather Locklear was on TJ Hooker and Dynasty. And she was a major character on both shows.