PDA

View Full Version : 2 angry guys reported this morning, that A-Rod was in town.

redsfan4445
10-25-2006, 08:35 AM
this morning on my way to work, tom Gamble reported that A-Rod was seen in town having lunch with somebody Associated with the Reds and would not name who it was... hmmmm that got me thinking a Package to include Dunn for A-Rod?? throw in Larue??? hmmmmmm

Johnny Footstool
10-25-2006, 09:26 AM
Griffey and A-Rod, together again. They got along so well in Seattle, they just couldn't stay apart.

registerthis
10-25-2006, 09:34 AM
If Yanks fans were put off by ARod's performance down the stretch this season, they would have loved Dunn.

redsfan30
10-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Hmmmm...

corkedbat
10-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Dunn, Millton and LaRue for A-Rod and Farnsworth or a prospect? Depends on how much we pay on A-Rods contract (now and future).

Doesn't improve starting pitching and doesn't clear payroll, so I'm not wild about it

westofyou
10-25-2006, 10:28 AM
He's buying Farney from Freel.

redsmetz
10-25-2006, 10:35 AM
this morning on my way to work, tom Gamble reported that A-Rod was seen in town having lunch with somebody Associated with the Reds and would not name who it was... hmmmm that got me thinking a Package to include Dunn for A-Rod?? throw in Larue??? hmmmmmm

"Somebody associated with the Reds"???? Can't be a front office person because that would be tampering. So this is a whole lot of nothing if it isn't just a fantasy or dream in the first place.

corkedbat
10-25-2006, 10:44 AM
"Somebody associated with the Reds"???? Can't be a front office person because that would be tampering. So this is a whole lot of nothing if it isn't just a fantasy or dream in the first place.

Not that it has any legs, but would it be tampering if the two teams were in trade negotiations and the Reds reps met with A-Rod with the Yanks blessings? Does A-Rod have a no-trade clause he would have to waive?

RedsManRick
10-25-2006, 10:51 AM
That's such a vague comment. It could be Tim Kremcheck for all we know. It could be Junior and they were just catching up. Uggh. If I wanted that kind of gossip I'd turn on Entertainment Tonight.

redsfan30
10-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Yes, ARod does have a no trade clause....but I just can't imagine that 1) there would be any trade negotiations this early in the winter, 2) if there indeed were negotiations I can't believe they'd be that far along and 3) nobody in the media would have picked up on it.

I'd love to see it happen, but this is probably just much ado about nothing.

If he was even here....

westofyou
10-25-2006, 10:56 AM
"Brian Cashman and I had a discussion and he made it clear that he has no intention of trading Alex," Boras told the Daily News, "and I told him that Alex Rodriguez has a no-trade clause.

"There will be no movement of Alex Rodriguez this offseason," Boras said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2637909

TOBTTReds
10-25-2006, 10:57 AM
He's buying Farney from Freel.

WOY, I thought you were a better man than that to make a joke about such a serious topic.

westofyou
10-25-2006, 11:01 AM
WOY, I thought you were a better man than that to make a joke about such a serious topic.I think it's a done deal, Farney has the spirit, the magic that blinds fans of a players faults and limitations. Arod can use that in NYC, I'm sure if he does purchase Farney then it will be on a standard type of contract, meaning that Farney can spend the off season and his retirment with Freel in Fla. It's a no brainer for both parties.

vaticanplum
10-25-2006, 11:04 AM
:laugh:

Johnny Footstool
10-25-2006, 11:08 AM
I think it's a done deal, Farney has the spirit, the magic that blinds fans of a players faults and limitations. Arod can use that in NYC, I'm sure if he does purchase Farney then it will be on a standard type of contract, meaning that Farney can spend the off season and his retirment with Freel in Fla. It's a no brainer for both parties.

Plus there's more room in ARod's head than in Freel's. For Farney, it would be like moving from a 1-bedroom loft to a 120-acre ranch in Wyoming.

westofyou
10-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Plus there's more room in ARod's head than in Freel's. For Farney, it would be like moving from a 1-bedroom loft to a 120-acre ranch in Wyoming.
True, Farney can drive one of those new small Hummers around in that space.

Always Red
10-25-2006, 11:16 AM
That's such a vague comment. It could be Tim Kremcheck for all we know. It could be Junior and they were just catching up. Uggh. If I wanted that kind of gossip I'd turn on Entertainment Tonight.

yes...but I prefer sports gossip!

pedro
10-25-2006, 11:16 AM
True, Farney can drive one of those new small Hummers around in that space.

I think Farney would be most comfortable in Placido Palanco's head.

dabvu2498
10-25-2006, 11:18 AM
I think Farney would be most comfortable in Placido Palanco's head.

Kevin Mench says hello :wave: as well.

westofyou
10-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Kevin Mench says hello :wave: as well.

Largest head in baseball history, so I hear.

Johnny Footstool
10-25-2006, 11:22 AM
Largest head in baseball history, so I hear.

That's actual space, though -- not the vast theoretical landscape of ARod's noggin.

flyer85
10-25-2006, 11:22 AM
Arroyo got one of those assurances from the Boston GM last year. Ask him how it worked out.

Reds4Life
10-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Lou Piniella had several meetings with Bob C too, and we see how that worked out.

If Gamble is correct, which I tend to doubt he is, doesn't really mean much. Maybe Alex has friends that are associated with the Reds, he probably has friends in many organizations around MLB.

flyer85
10-25-2006, 12:02 PM
I don't think Arod is coming to Cincy but I would not be surprised if he is traded somewhere else.

savafan
10-25-2006, 12:16 PM
People actually listen to the 2 Angry Guys?

Natty Redlocks
10-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Of course this is nothing. But just for fun, here's my hype-othetical A-Rod STIFHe (Stupid Trade Idea From Hell):

Reds get A-Rod
Yankees get Arroyo and Encarnacion.

Aurilia plays 3rd til Tommy Herr's kid is ready.

Arroyo has to cut his hair and express his deep longing for Cincinnati.

THEN we can trade Dunn without a plague of locusts swarming o'er the land.

Red Leader
10-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Tommy Herr's kid will never be ready and I think he just elected minor league free agency.

Natty Redlocks
10-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Tommy Herr's kid will never be ready and I think he just elected minor league free agency.
Oh. Does Willie McGee have a kid?

savafan
10-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Oh. Does Willie McGee have a kid?

No, but Tom Brunansky does. :D

Reds Fanatic
10-25-2006, 12:51 PM
According to Arod's agent Brian Cashman has already told him Arod will not be traded this offseason.

RFS62
10-25-2006, 01:21 PM
People actually listen to the 2 Angry Guys?

Hey, I even heard that Billy Ray Cyrus approves this deal.

savafan
10-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Hey, I even heard that Billy Ray Cyrus approves this deal.

Well, I hear that Billy Ray Cyrus will be in St. Louis tonight to sing the National Anthem before Game 4. I hope the 2 Angry Guys reported on this major news event as well. ;)

TeamBoone
10-25-2006, 04:45 PM
According to Arod's agent Brian Cashman has already told him Arod will not be traded this offseason.

Aha! I'm not the only one who posts before reading an entire thread!

Matt700wlw
10-25-2006, 04:49 PM
I may have to snoop around....

:)

goreds2
10-25-2006, 04:52 PM

:pray:

:valentin: :dunn: = Great bats for Yankee Stadium right field porch

:milton: = A lefty pitcher in Yankee stadium to go against left-handed bats

:D

RedLegSuperStar
10-25-2006, 05:01 PM
I may have to snoop around....

You do that..

I just can't see us getting ARod.. That would be huge.. but just can't see it happening

Caseyfan21
10-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Maybe he was in town for another reason (traveling?) and just wanted to catch up with an old friend? I wouldn't read much into this. It's crazy rumors based on nothing but speculation that get people all excited only to be let down. I'm sure if we attached GPS trackers to all the major superstars in baseball we could probably get excited once a month or so because someone is in town.

That's if he was even in town at all which I'm not buying until I see a picture or other conclusive proof.

cincy jacket
10-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Let's look at this logically. Yesterday the Reds announce they are going to be hosting a poker tournament. Today A-Rod shows up. Coincidence?

Matt700wlw
10-25-2006, 05:07 PM
You do that..

I just can't see us getting ARod.. That would be huge.. but just can't see it happening

I can't either....but if I get any "dirt," and it's not that confidential government CIA stuff, which I come across from time to time, I will share it.

Edd Roush
10-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Let's look at this logically. Yesterday the Reds announce they are going to be hosting a poker tournament. Today A-Rod shows up. Coincidence?

It would only be coincidence if our boy Petey showed up with another book about how He did/did not gamble on the game of baseball.

Caseyfan21
10-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Maybe he was in town interviewing for the hitting coach job?

David Cubbedge
10-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Richard Skinner did mention that it was a "higher up" in the organization who met with him though. Still could be passing through and catching up with whomever it was, but when has he ever been known to have friends in the organization?

We have to ask ourselves the right questions. Someone with knowledge on why the media cannot or will not relay who it was that A-Rod met please let us know the rules on that. Or is it just that Gamble and Skinner do not want to get too involved in knowing it would cause insane speculation and take away from the rest of their show.

It wasn't only those two either, Piecoro also talked about it on his show today as well. I agree that this is a long shot. But we have to try and figure out why Gamble and Skinner did not tell us who met with A-Rod and then eventually see if we can find out exactly who it was that met him.

goreds2
10-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Maybe he was in town interviewing for the hitting coach job?

For the regular season only. ;)

Heath
10-25-2006, 07:45 PM

Thank goodness the Reds weren't doing a swingers party - that'll draw A-Rod :eek:

LINEDRIVER
10-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Richard Skinner did mention that it was a "higher up" in the organization who met with him though. Still could be passing through and catching up with whomever it was, but when has he ever been known to have friends in the organization?

We have to ask ourselves the right questions. Someone with knowledge on why the media cannot or will not relay who it was that A-Rod met please let us know the rules on that. Or is it just that Gamble and Skinner do not want to get too involved in knowing it would cause insane speculation and take away from the rest of their show.

It wasn't only those two either, Piecoro also talked about it on his show today as well. I agree that this is a long shot. But we have to try and figure out why Gamble and Skinner did not tell us who met with A-Rod and then eventually see if we can find out exactly who it was that met him.

Can't imagine ARod flying to Cincy from California to have lunch and catch up. Cant imagine Junior flying from Orlando to Cincy to have lunch with Arod. IF ARod was in town while the Reds/Yankees are having trade talks, perhaps it was to undergo a physical and/or to discuss his contract. Could he of been in town to see Kremcheck for a physical for the Chicago Cubs? I believe Kremcheck does consulting work for other teams.

I heard Cashman say he had no intention of trading ARod, etc. Perhaps he had 'no intention' until he thought better of it or until King George thought better of it for him.

cincyinco
10-25-2006, 07:57 PM
For what its worth, PTI says they feel that the talk about Arod not being moved is all posturing..

Falls City Beer
10-25-2006, 08:03 PM
I'd wager the house A-Rod's no longer a Yankee by New Year's Day. He's pretty clearly persona non grata in New York.

RedLegSuperStar
10-25-2006, 08:19 PM

Now if Pic mentioned it I'd start to believe it just because he is affiliated with the Reds pre-game shows. At least he has some kind of tie to the organization as opposed to the 2 angry guys.

I don't even want to see the offer...

reds44
10-25-2006, 08:40 PM
This is something that makes me go hmmmm.

I wonder what it would take from us to get him. If EE is involved, I'm not sure I'm interested.

Caseyfan21
10-25-2006, 08:47 PM
I wonder what it would take from us to get him. If EE is involved, I'm not sure I'm interested.

I would imagine if you have the opportunity to get ARod the only untouchable might be Bailey. Other than that I would give up any single player. ARod is clearly still in the prime of his career and has proven to be one of the best of all time. He has been durable his entire career and his only fault in the eyes of the world is accepting that large contract. If we can get ARod for EE and a few minor leaguers WayneK has to make that trade. The odds of EE not developing ARod type numbers are very high compared to the risks of ARod not panning out.

That being said if we can get ARod here and pair him up with EE on the left side of the infield, that would be scary good for quite a few more years.

reds44
10-25-2006, 08:54 PM
I would imagine if you have the opportunity to get ARod the only untouchable might be Bailey. Other than that I would give up any single player. ARod is clearly still in the prime of his career and has proven to be one of the best of all time. He has been durable his entire career and his only fault in the eyes of the world is accepting that large contract. If we can get ARod for EE and a few minor leaguers WayneK has to make that trade. The odds of EE not developing ARod type numbers are very high compared to the risks of ARod not panning out.

That being said if we can get ARod here and pair him up with EE on the left side of the infield, that would be scary good for quite a few more years.
I'd rather deal Dunn.

EE is so much cheaper then A-Rod, and right now he is looking like he is going to be a stud.

redsfan30
10-25-2006, 09:07 PM
I'd do Dunn and prospects for ARod anyday of the week, and laugh while I did it.

RedLegSuperStar
10-25-2006, 09:11 PM
I'd rather deal Dunn.

EE is so much cheaper then A-Rod, and right now he is looking like he is going to be a stud.

I'd agree.. and move him back to SS. Dunn isn't going to get it done unless we are taking on A-Rods contract.. in that case I don't know.. Dunn will be off the books at the end of 07(option for 08 for 13 mil) and ARod is still on the books for 2011 and still owed 66.6 Mil where as Dunn is owed 10.5 (23.5 if option is picked up)

ARod is ARod.. and you know what you get with him; MVP numbers.

You think if we include a stud pitcher(minors) not named Wood or Bailey they would include Melky Cabrera?

Tom Servo
10-25-2006, 09:49 PM
I'd do Dunn and prospects for ARod anyday of the week, and laugh while I did it.
Agreed.

Caseyfan21
10-25-2006, 11:30 PM
I'd rather deal Dunn.

That would be ideal. I'm not sure how bad the Yanks need an outfielder. Cabrera is very young, Abreu and Matsui are both still only 32, and Damon is 33. I'm assuming Williams and Sheffield will probably be gone but I'm not sure. Assuming no injuries (big if after this year) the Yanks are pretty solid in the OF. Of course, Dunn would be an ideal DH as well so it would be interesting to see what the Yanks do this offseason.

Unassisted
10-26-2006, 09:36 AM
If A-Rod could join the Reds and teach his old teammate Junior how changing positions for the benefit of your team is a good thing, we should be willing to look past some other negatives of this notion.

Red Leader
10-26-2006, 11:05 AM
This is the Yankees you're talking about. They are able to fill positions. You don't have to play the "if we trade for A-Rod they'd need a 3B in return to fill that whole" game with them. We wouldn't have to trade them EE is what I'm getting at. We could give them Dunn + prospects to get this done and they could use Dunn either at 1B, if they'd rather have Giambi at DH, or they could put Dunn at DH and play Giambi at 1B. Sheffield will be gone. They'll probably trade him for either pitching (my guess) or maybe a 3B if they do in fact plan on trading A-Rod.

The only thing I'm not sure about is A-Rod's contact and how much of a burden it would be come 2010, 2011. In the short term, I think you're fine. In the long run, it starts to get a little cramped. Maybe you turn around and deal A-Rod after 2009 or so and load yourself with prospects in return then.

I don't know, but it could work.

An infield in 2008 of Votto, Phillips, A-Rod and Encarnacion would be pretty sweet.

vaticanplum
10-26-2006, 11:12 AM
I'd wager the house A-Rod's no longer a Yankee by New Year's Day.

I wouldn't mind a house in Philadelphia.

SultanOfSwing
10-26-2006, 11:27 AM
Why couldn't the Reds trade Griffey? He would certainly be sexier for Yankees fans and he could play a better 1B then Giambi or Dunn. In fact, Griffey could likely be a GG 1B. Griffey, LaRue, and prospect(s) for AROD.

Red Leader
10-26-2006, 11:31 AM
Why couldn't the Reds trade Griffey? He would certainly be sexier for Yankees fans and he could play a better 1B then Giambi or Dunn. In fact, Griffey could likely be a GG 1B. Griffey, LaRue, and prospect(s) for AROD.

Griffey has said for the past 1-2 years that he cannot play 1B. The position is too difficult for his legs to handle on an everyday basis.

Whether you believe that or not, I don't know. I don't know if I do. But that what he said some time ago, or what was reported as what he said some time ago.

RedLegSuperStar
10-26-2006, 02:27 PM

I just can't see him playing first let alone Gold Glove caliber first.

I want to see this:

Reds deal: Adam Dunn, Calvin Medlock, Tyler Pelland, and Jason LaRue

To Yankees for: Alex Rodriguez and Melky Cabrera

Yankees currently don't have a back up to Posada and like was said you can play Dunn at 1st and have your outfield of Abreau, Damon, Matsui.. Let Dunn jump in there when one needs a rest or gets injured.

As for the Reds it fills the OF vacancy with a guy will some pop, youth, speed, and decent average. Alex would take over SS which keeps Edwin at 3rd. Like was said nothing would look better than to see Encarnacion, Rodriguez, Phillips, Votto in the near future. Only thing is we don't get pitching in return and may have to take on the Yankees portion of the deal which is 66.6 million(Texas is paying the remainder)... which may hurt us as far as paying for FA pitching(this season). Now if the Yankees were take take on say 15-20 million of that contract we would be right around 12-13 per year and purhaps able to sign a #3/4 type pitcher for a season until Milton is off the books.

Always Red
10-26-2006, 02:38 PM
Griffey has said for the past 1-2 years that he cannot play 1B. The position is too difficult for his legs to handle on an everyday basis.

And yet his legs are well enough (in his mind) for him to play CF?

hmm....go figure...

TeamBoone
10-26-2006, 04:01 PM
And yet his legs are well enough (in his mind) for him to play CF?

hmm....go figure...

Regarding Jr at 1B, he said it's the quick starts and stops that his legs can't handle.

redsfanfalcon
10-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Dunn, LaRue, and Milton for A-Rod. Frees up a lot of payroll (especially if the Yankees pick up a portion of A-Rod's, and some is also already picked up by the Rangers) to do other things with, like getting some pitching. I am prepared to take some bashing on this. :rolleyes:

guttle11
10-26-2006, 04:46 PM
I hear Moe Eggert heard from a cousin's baby momma that Jason Schmidt was on a plane that flew above Cincinnati today...

RichRed
10-26-2006, 04:54 PM
I hear Moe Eggert heard from a cousin's baby momma that Jason Schmidt was on a plane that flew above Cincinnati today...

No way! How much did we sign him for? ;)

Jr's Boy
10-26-2006, 05:54 PM

Makes for good offseason talk though.

RedLegSuperStar
10-26-2006, 07:01 PM

Dang rumors.. I heard he was headed to Seattle!

ChatterRed
10-28-2006, 01:48 PM
I heard A-Rod was meeting with Paul LoDuca's soon to be ex-wife. They met halfway in Cincy.

CWRed
10-29-2006, 11:58 AM
Kevin Mench...

That's not a head. It's a planet.