PDA

View Full Version : LOST: Season 3

Pages : [1] 2

HotCorner
10-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Taking the lead from other TV show threads, it's a good time to start a new thread for LOST.

For those who have missed an epside or would like to read a recap about any episode, check out this site: http://www.filmfodder.com/tv/lost/

Excellent recaps done with a touch of humor.

The preview for tonight's episode looks fantastic! Can't wait.

HotCorner
10-25-2006, 12:28 PM
Found this on CNN.com ...

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- The return of ABC's reality show "Extreme Makeover" lasted one week.

The network has pulled the plastic surgery series after one low-rated airing in the 8 p.m. Friday slot. Beginning November 3, ABC will return to the scheduling pattern from earlier in the season, airing a repeat of "Grey's Anatomy" in the opening hour of primetime.

Additionally, ABC has set February 7 as a return date for the hit drama "Lost." The first portion of the adventure series' third season is slated to end November 8, with new series "Day Break" schedule to air in "Lost's" 9 p.m. Wednesday slot starting November 15.

When it returns February 7, "Lost" is scheduled to run with all-original episodes through the end of the season.

In another scheduling move, ABC is bringing the legal drama "Boston Legal" to its original 10 p.m. Sunday slot November 26 for a special airing of the opening of a two-part episode. The conclusion is slated to run November 28 in "Boston Legal's" regular 10 p.m. Tuesday slot.

Red Leader
10-25-2006, 01:02 PM
I watched Seasons 1 and 2 after Season 2 ended last spring. I watched them from the end of August until the end of September on DVD. I was really intrigued and into the whole show. It was, fantastic TV. Season 3 started and I was all geeked up to learn answers to questions from the first two seasons. Not so fast. Not only did they not answer a lot of questions from the first two seasons, but they've added new questions this season. What's worse is that instead of one central location to focus on, they've now established two locations (the Losties beach camp and the Others camp). They aren't doing a good job of NOT keeping them seperate so one week you get one, another week you get the other (no pun intended). It's getting frustrating. I'm going to continue to watch with as much fervor as before, but I hope the show starts taking a clear path to show some more direction before the long November hiatus.

And I second your opinion, HotCorner, that Filmfodder blog on Lost is absolutely terrific. I would advise all to read that blog if you watch the show.

LoganBuck
10-26-2006, 01:40 AM
Best show of the year tonight. Answered some questions, and had some wow and gotcha moments. They could have just smushed the first three episodes into one, and made this the second show of the year, and saved everyone two hour of their lives.

BuckeyeRed27
10-26-2006, 02:04 AM
Loved tonights show.

There seems to be a lot of people complaining about the pace of the show. There is defiantely some merit to that, but at the same time it has to stay somewhat slow. I mean only so much stuff can happen on an island and if they get rescued...well that's pretty much the end of the show.

HumnHilghtFreel
10-26-2006, 07:13 AM
Ahhhh, I work the nightshift and I TRY to stay up wednesday nights to see it, but I fell asleep last night!!!

HotCorner
10-26-2006, 10:22 AM
One thing that dawned on me a couple of days ago was how the "Others" knew all that information about the "Losties". Well if they have access to the outside world, they would have been able to get that information from the media who undoubtedly would have published a lot of this information after the plane went missing. Just a theory of mine.

As for last night's episode, I loved the line by Ben to Sawyer at the end ... "The way to earn a con man's trust is to con him."

RedsManRick
10-26-2006, 12:53 PM
I still don't quite get the ending with Sawyer on the smaller island. Firstly, the main crew never saw this island? Secondly, so what?

Red Leader
10-26-2006, 12:59 PM
I still don't quite get the ending with Sawyer on the smaller island. Firstly, the main crew never saw this island? Secondly, so what?

I guess I thought of it a couple ways. First, it totally demoralizes him and dashes any hopes he had of "running" and getting away, like he knows he and Kate are capable of. Second, if they had never "seen" this island, how is he supposed to expect the rest of his buddies to rescue him?

At the beginning of the episode he had hope that they were coming to rescue him, they shot an Other, and he felt escape or someone saving him was imminant. At the end, all hope had been drained from him. They truly are breaking him down and I didn't think even he (Sawyer) thought that could happen. He's now realizing that they are capable of it.

Knowing Sawyer, though, he's not done. He's going to come back harder than before to try to prove to them that they have not broken his spirits. That's what I'm interested in seeing.

TeamCasey
10-26-2006, 06:49 PM
So, the others were on this smaller island the whole time?

I guess I was a little confused too.

The weirdest thing that I haven't heard from any of the survivors is "Why?" How come no one asks the others why they're doing what they're doing?

TeamBoone
10-26-2006, 11:42 PM
I find it very feasible that they haven't seen the Others Island as they have pretty much stuck to one side of their island since the beginning.

I don't know why they haven't asked the question "why?", but I've certainly been wondering why. As I can't foresee the logic as to what the Others are trying to do, it's becoming very frustrating.

I'm one who complains about the pace of the show this year. It really needs to pick up.

TeamCasey
10-27-2006, 06:39 AM
Has anyone been following along and playing the internet game. It's quite involved. Look up lostpedia.

HumnHilghtFreel
10-27-2006, 07:08 PM
I finally got to see Wednesday's episode. That was really good and the Jack storyline is finally starting to get some light shed on it, but now I want to know why they have Kate and Sawyer too.

So many questions with this show! lol

gonelong
10-30-2006, 03:04 PM
I'd guess they'll eventually want Sawyer to pull off a con of some kind for them ... maybe against the rest of the survivors.

GL

Red Leader
10-30-2006, 03:06 PM
and I'm guessing Kate is there just to keep the two boys cooperating.

Red Leader
11-01-2006, 02:25 PM
McFarlane toys is releasing "Lost" action figures.

http://www.spawn.com/toys/series.aspx?series=318

I'm thinking I might have to pick up a Kate figure. I'm thinking I might get in trouble for buying the Shannon figure. :laugh:

savafan
11-01-2006, 02:35 PM
I'm thinking I might get in trouble for buying the Shannon figure. :laugh:

That one looks more like a person than a toy

Red Leader
11-01-2006, 02:36 PM
That one looks more like a person than a toy

Yeah, if you consider that a "toy," you've got some issues. :)

HotCorner
11-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Wow. :eek:

savafan
11-02-2006, 01:50 AM
Wow. :eek:

Yeah...I didn't expect that...nor did I want to see it happen...:(

LoganBuck
11-02-2006, 07:30 AM
Ecko was one of my favorites. I really don't know how that bettered the story line at all. Sometimes I wonder if the writers of Lost are competant at laying out a well executed plot. My next guess as to a character to die will be Bernie, Rose's husband, because unless I am mistaken he is the only tail section castaway left. Ana Lucia's death last year was mainly to get rid of the actress, not to better the story, because she was a loose cannon. They did not want her back this season.

Further annoying the process is the decision to "promote" background survivors that we see along the beach to regulars, like Nikki and Paulo. We knew that they were there before, but now suddenly we are supposed to invest some level of caring into their characters? I figured that Nikki was the proverbial "red shirt" going on the away mission, from StarTrek fame. Yet Ecko is the one that gets offed, and now we have the Smoke monster racing to the front as a new enemy, and cyclops watching them from another hatch somewhere on the island.

MrCinatit
11-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Shorty before seeing the episode, I was wondering what had happened to our smoky friend. Guess we know now.
Those action figures look amazing - but what else does one expect from McFarlane Toys. I've always been impressed by their work, though the only ones I have are from Yellow Submarine.

HotCorner
11-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Ecko was one of my favorites. I really don't know how that bettered the story line at all. Sometimes I wonder if the writers of Lost are competant at laying out a well executed plot. My next guess as to a character to die will be Bernie, Rose's husband, because unless I am mistaken he is the only tail section castaway left. Ana Lucia's death last year was mainly to get rid of the actress, not to better the story, because she was a loose cannon. They did not want her back this season.

Further annoying the process is the decision to "promote" background survivors that we see along the beach to regulars, like Nikki and Paulo. We knew that they were there before, but now suddenly we are supposed to invest some level of caring into their characters? I figured that Nikki was the proverbial "red shirt" going on the away mission, from StarTrek fame. Yet Ecko is the one that gets offed, and now we have the Smoke monster racing to the front as a new enemy, and cyclops watching them from another hatch somewhere on the island.

I also noticed that all of the "Tailies" have died except Bernie. Not a good omen for him.

I agree with your opinion of "promoting" background characters. It didn't feel natural. Actually it reminded me a bit of the Simpsons episode where they were mocking TV shows for adding new characters to shake things up.

Finally I will miss Eko. I really enjoyed his character and amazed that he will no longer be around. Shocking.

Red Leader
11-02-2006, 10:41 AM
I'm hoping at some point they reveal that Nikki / Paulo are infiltrated other Others (not part of Ben's group), which would justify them introducing them as more main characters.

RedsManRick
11-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Is my memory failing me, or is the thing which killed Ecko the first blatantly supernatural event? Walt's mysterious appearances, and the appearances of other characters up until now could all be passed off as psychological events. The polar bear is messed up, but it's at least somewhat reality based. This was just kind of "umm, wtf?"

Yachtzee
11-02-2006, 01:08 PM
The only thing I got out of Eko's death, other than him coming to terms with his past, was that the black smoke is now luring people out. From what I gather, the black smoke can make you "see things." This time around, the black smoke was around when Mr. Eko was "seeing" his brother and others from his past. I got the impression that the black smoke had lured him out into the jungle in order to get rid of him. Then his final words to lock implied that the black smoke was going to start luring the rest of them out, I assume one by one.

Maybe Mr. Eko's death will be the driving force behind discovering what exactly that black smoke is.

Nikki and Paulo seem like a pair of dorks who finally got invited to go to the high school party with the cool kids. It's only a matter of time before we see them driving the homecoming queen home in Jake Ryan's Porsche.

savafan
11-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Interesting theory:

Smoke Shapeshifter=Vincent (http://www.4815162342.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30102)

Sweetstop
11-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Locke said what he saw was light (heavenly) while Eko saw and was taken by the dark ..his demons finally got him.

LoganBuck
11-02-2006, 10:32 PM
A couple of thoughts

If the island can cure Locke's back, and Rose's cancer why does Ben have a tumor on his back, threatening his life?

The smoke monster is obviously what killed the Pilot in the pilot episode. I think the smoke monster has been there all along, and appears to the castaways as their inner demons. My guess is that Hurley (looney bin imaginary friend), Kate (horse), Jack (his father), any time Walt was sighted, are all examples of when Smokey has been present.

If the Others make camp on another island, how did Ethan run through the Jungle to make it to the crash site?

If Desmond is able to see the future, why didn't he see Ecko's untimely demise?

Has anyone on the island started wearing tattered clothing or gone unshaven, or without a haircut?

Joseph
11-02-2006, 10:41 PM
My wife, who is not a fan of the show she makes me watch Nip/Tuck in order to watch Lost, also thinks the beards and such are a little much. 71 days in there are going to be a lot of guys who have some serious growth working.

bengalsown
11-03-2006, 03:24 PM
My wife, who is not a fan of the show she makes me watch Nip/Tuck in order to watch Lost, also thinks the beards and such are a little much. 71 days in there are going to be a lot of guys who have some serious growth working.

I'm sure that in the supply drops they provided razors and what not.

If the Others make camp on another island, how did Ethan run through the Jungle to make it to the crash site?

They probably have a few boats.

savafan
11-03-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm sure that in the supply drops they provided razors and what not.

I recall seeing razors in previous episodes. Season 1 I think

Red Leader
11-03-2006, 05:22 PM
A couple of thoughts

If the island can cure Locke's back, and Rose's cancer why does Ben have a tumor on his back, threatening his life?

Well, since the main hatch blew up all of those magnetic properties of the island are now gone. The better question is, why didn't Locke lose his ability to walk, and Rose's cancer advance?

The Hydra Station is on another island and some others have now moved over there and set up camp in the Hydra station. The "community" they showed at the beginning of S3 episode 1 is on the same island as the Losties.

TeamCasey
11-03-2006, 06:27 PM

If Desmond is able to see the future, why didn't he see Ecko's untimely demise?

Has anyone on the island started wearing tattered clothing or gone unshaven, or without a haircut?

1. Because the plane crash people are already dead?

2. Excellent question!

3. There was plenty of luggage - clothes, shaving kits, etc. The food is weirder to me.

I'd assume that the food drops are meant for the Others, so why were they dropped for the survivors?

MWM
11-03-2006, 09:31 PM
The whole black smoke taking Ecko and throwing him all over the place was absurd. I think I might be done with this show. I didn't start until halfway through last season, so I'm not as invested as others, but it isn't intriguing enough to make me put up with the black smoke silliness.

And I think the pretty blonde chic is screwing with Jack. She's going to wind up being the bad guy.

LoganBuck
11-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Well, since the main hatch blew up all of those magnetic properties of the island are now gone. The better question is, why didn't Locke lose his ability to walk, and Rose's cancer advance?

The Hydra Station is on another island and some others have now moved over there and set up camp in the Hydra station. The "community" they showed at the beginning of S3 episode 1 is on the same island as the Losties.

My answer to the first one is that Ben was on the castaway's island for a good period of time before the hatch explosion/implosion.

Then how did the polar bears supposedly escape/be let free and wind up on the other island? Global Warming? Ice flows?

mth123
11-03-2006, 11:55 PM
The whole black smoke taking Ecko and throwing him all over the place was absurd. I think I might be done with this show. I didn't start until halfway through last season, so I'm not as invested as others, but it isn't intriguing enough to make me put up with the black smoke silliness.

And I think the pretty blonde chic is screwing with Jack. She's going to wind up being the bad guy.

This is a reappearance for the black smoke thing and I think its absurd as well. (My wife stopped watching early on because she thought the black smoke was stupid.) I wonder if it went away so long because the people who make the show could see its silliness but brought it back due to pressure to explain its appearance in the early episodes. That is at least my rationalization that allows me to keep watching. I like the rest of the show.

I think the blonde will be the bad guy as well. I actually think the leader of the others (I can't keep track of character names as well as some) is in on it too. I think they are testing Jack to see if he'll agree to kill the guy.

Red in Chicago
11-04-2006, 12:33 AM
do the words "jump the shark" mean anything to you people ;)

savafan
12-06-2006, 01:43 PM
The network has announced it is moving Lost from Wednesdays at 9 p.m. to 10 p.m. when the show returns February 7, in order to avoid Fox's returning reality show American Idol. Last season's top-rated series, Idol returns January 16.

Yachtzee
12-06-2006, 02:52 PM
I think this is ridiculous. All the networks are adjusting their programming to avoid American Idol. Lame. All they're doing is forcing more people to watch Idol.

LoganBuck
12-06-2006, 03:18 PM
The network has announced it is moving Lost from Wednesdays at 9 p.m. to 10 p.m. when the show returns February 7, in order to avoid Fox's returning reality show American Idol. Last season's top-rated series, Idol returns January 16.

Head to Head with South Park

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Redsland
12-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Looks like they don't respect its authoritay.

;)

BuckeyeRed27
12-06-2006, 04:13 PM
I think this is ridiculous. All the networks are adjusting their programming to avoid American Idol. Lame. All they're doing is forcing more people to watch Idol.

You aren't going to beat Idol. Those shows have the same demographic. Pretty smart move by ABC. Although with DVR I will watch both of them on Saturday morning.

Yachtzee
12-06-2006, 05:11 PM
You aren't going to beat Idol. Those shows have the same demographic. Pretty smart move by ABC. Although with DVR I will watch both of them on Saturday morning.

Do they really? I always thought the main demographic for Idol was teenage girls and my wife. The only year I watched it, it seemed like the only contestants who were safe week to week were the ones you might find in the pages of Tiger Beat or Young Miss, while all the decent singers were getting voted off.

And hasn't Idol been up against Lost before? Is this a sign that the network has lost confidence in Lost?

Redsland
12-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Is this a sign that the network has lost confidence in Lost?
Perhaps some. Last I heard the ratings were slipping, and I know that I'm one of a number of fans who are beginning to grumble about the writing.

gonelong
12-06-2006, 08:37 PM

I've completely abandoned watching "TV". I watch whatever is recorded on my DVR whenever I have the time. Might be Lost, CSI, Hero's, South Park, etc. ... or it might be a documentary on humongous machinery. I LOVE to record mythbusters and zip to the end and watch the last 5 minutes.

GL

Yachtzee
12-06-2006, 09:32 PM
I've completely abandoned watching "TV". I watch whatever is recorded on my DVR whenever I have the time. Might be Lost, CSI, Hero's, South Park, etc. ... or it might be a documentary on humongous machinery. I LOVE to record mythbusters and zip to the end and watch the last 5 minutes.

GL

I like to record Mythbusters and zip to the parts with Kari.

LoganBuck
02-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Last night was just a waste of my time. Why wasn't this episode condensed with the last episode of the fall? I keep watching it find out what will happen, but I have moved into active dislike of the show.

Sean_CaseyRules
02-08-2007, 03:08 PM
I thought that it was good. Also I love the way it leaves you hangin on to the edge when the show is over. I liked the way it ended last night, teaching us about Julliet's life and what all happened for her to get to the Island.

HotCorner
02-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Yeah I liked it as well. I found her past sheds more light for her purpose on the island.

Yachtzee
02-08-2007, 03:59 PM
I actually found it really interesting that she's a fertility doctor who developed a means of impregnating her cancer-ridden sister. It makes me wonder if the island has certain long-term negative effects on the physiology of its inhabitants. Might explain the fascination with Claire and her baby.

Oh, I also found it interesting that it looks like she may not have been a volunteer going to the island, or at least may have been duped.

ochre
02-08-2007, 11:21 PM
I just can't see Calamity Jane being a cancer patient participating in a covert artificial insemination program. It just feels too anachronistic. I mean, What Would Wild Bill Think?

LoganBuck
02-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Best episode of the year last night. Some question were answered, and the pace was good. I liked the Desmond flashback redux. When the lady in the jewelry store went off on him, I was impressed. The writers may be back on their game!:thumbup: :thumbup:

reds1869
02-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Best episode of the year last night. Some question were answered, and the pace was good. I liked the Desmond flashback redux. When the lady in the jewelry store went off on him, I was impressed. The writers may be back on their game!:thumbup: :thumbup:

Agreed. Last night was very well done and made me remember why I started watching Lost in the first place. The first two episodes seem like a bump back towards the show's roots.

savafan
02-15-2007, 04:25 PM
I can't wait to find out what questions get answered next week...

My only complaint is that I'm having a bit of a hard time now remembering what all took place earlier this season due to the long break.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-15-2007, 06:21 PM

My only complaint is that I'm having a bit of a hard time now remembering what all took place earlier this season due to the long break.

I had a bit of a problem with that as well. This episode was really really good though.

LoganBuck
02-16-2007, 12:09 AM

Agreed, when they "broke" the news to Charlie and Hurley that the Ecko was dead, I was like you know that happened like 4 months ago.

Sean_CaseyRules
02-16-2007, 01:49 AM
The episode was awesome! I loved the flashback!

gonelong
02-16-2007, 12:30 PM

Then this if what you want ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lost_episodes

GL

Willy
02-18-2007, 10:01 PM
I thought the hour show before the eason opener two weeks ago did an excellant job of bringing me back up to speed, and answered a few questions I had.

redsrule2500
02-19-2007, 04:05 AM
Perhaps some. Last I heard the ratings were slipping, and I know that I'm one of a number of fans who are beginning to grumble about the writing.

Can you elaborate? What about the writing (I haven't noticed...):confused:

savafan
02-19-2007, 04:56 AM
Well, last week's episode was the lowest rated episode of Lost ever, so it does look like the ratings may be slipping.

TeamCasey
02-19-2007, 06:51 AM
Well, last week's episode was the lowest rated episode of Lost ever, so it does look like the ratings may be slipping.

I thought the Desmond episode was more interesting than the ones with the others.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-19-2007, 07:34 AM

I read in Entertainment Weekly one of the writers of the show said that episode would be the one that would more than likely bring the viewers to a point where they know they show is going in a good direction or they'd lose them forever.

I thought it was a great episode, but if what you say is true, then I guess they've "lost" their viewers.

Redsland
02-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Can you elaborate? What about the writing (I haven't noticed...):confused:
Since the end of Season 2, the pacing has become glacial (in the pre-Al Gore sense of the word), and despite each episode's generous heaping of new questions, answers are mighty tough to come by.

What is the smoke monster, exactly? Why was Libby in the mental hospital? What is the Black Rock doing in the middle of the island? Why is there a four-toed statue? Why did the Others want Walt? Why was Desmond naked? Who cut up the training film? What was "the incident"? What happened to Locke's paralysis? Why was Jack's Dad's coffin empty? How did a horse get on the island? What is the Others' motivation, exactly? Why do the Others want babies? Where are the babies, anyway? Is there another group of knuckle-dragging, baby-kidnapping Others around? Why does Ben think his band of kidnapping torturers are "the good ones"? Why was Carl watching "A Clockwork Orange"? How could Ben be Alex's father if he's never left the island and Danielle arrived pregnant? How did Danielle go 16 years without seeing anyone on this floating metropolis? What is that whispering noise in the forest? What was that cable Sayid found on the beach? What illness did Danielle's team catch? Who was the guy with the eye patch? Who is Jacob? What were Penny's people looking for and why/how? With the hatch gone, what's regulating the island's magnetic field? What was that purple flash and what did it do to the Other's communications with the outside world? When the plane crashed, Ben told Ethan and the other guy to make lists and do nothing but observe; Anna said three people were kidnapped the first night and nine more second night--explain? How did Walt kill birds with his mind and appear to Shannon in the forest? Did the island cure Jin's sterility, or is Sun carrying baldy's child? Why did the smoke monster kill the pilot? Why shouldn't the computers be used for communication? What was the purpose of the hatch's blast doors? Where is the replacement button-pusher? If the program has been terminated, why are the food drops still happening? How did a Beechcraft fly here from Nigeria? Desmond tried to sail away but couldn't; why? Whatever happened to Jack's army? Or Sawyer's palace coup? Why was Desmond injecting himself even after learning that the quarantine was a ruse? Why are some of the hatches manned and not others? If Ben can leave, what's keeping him here? What "history" do Ben and Juliet share? What were Sawyer and Kate helping the Others build? What's the deal with that "broken" speaker in Jack's cell? Michael and Walt sailed off--then what? Ben said "god himself cannot see this island": what did he mean by that? Ecko told Locke that he'd be next to die; how did he know that? And so on.

If the show's creators don't care enough to answer the questions they raise, why should I?

Yachtzee
02-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Yeah. I feel the same way about the "Others" now that I do about Nikki/Jessica on "Heroes." Both seem to be an impediment to the story rather than something that moves it along.

Joseph
02-19-2007, 05:14 PM
If the show's creators don't care enough to answer the questions they raise, why should I?

I think you are not alone in feeling like that. They just keep heaping on new mysteries without answering the old. It's akin to torture for typical TV viewers who like their stories like their TV dinners, compartmentalized and easy to prepare and dispose of afterwards. We all want to feel like things are going somewhere and right now this show does not. These people race from one drama to the next without time to wrap the previous one. Is kate a *****, or does she love both Jack and Sawyer? Why would Jack want to save her if he saw her sleeping with Sawyer? The writing is way down. If season one was an 85 on a scale of 100, the last season + is in the 60s at best.

Red Leader
02-19-2007, 05:24 PM
I think you are not alone in feeling like that. They just keep heaping on new mysteries without answering the old. It's akin to torture for typical TV viewers who like their stories like their TV dinners, compartmentalized and easy to prepare and dispose of afterwards. We all want to feel like things are going somewhere and right now this show does not. These people race from one drama to the next without time to wrap the previous one. Is kate a *****, or does she love both Jack and Sawyer? Why would Jack want to save her if he saw her sleeping with Sawyer? The writing is way down. If season one was an 85 on a scale of 100, the last season + is in the 60s at best.

I loved the first season and the beginning of the second. All of the suspense, the drama, etc was great. I felt like "ok, I have to use my mind to figure this stuff out and then later on I'll find out if I'm right." There's stuff in the show that just doesn't need to be in there. There were too many open ended questions posed by the 2nd or 3rd episode of season 2. They never answered those questions, they just kept piling on and on and on with the questions. They are to the point now that I don't think they can explain their way out of stuff. I'll continue to watch because I like the characters and the acting but I no longer "care" what happens next like I did.

marcshoe
02-19-2007, 06:56 PM
How did a horse get on the island?

The writers actually answered this, sort of, in the preview show week before last. It had to do with the island calling up visions of important people or things from people's past.

Hey, I said "sort of". ;)

1 down, 999 to go.

I have to admit these last two episode have intrigued me a bit, compared to what had gone before. One of my new theories is that Sun's baby is neither Jin's nor Baldy's, but was implanted somehow, sometime by Juliet. Maybe its Ben's.

MWM
02-19-2007, 07:05 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I hated the last episode. It did nothing to forward the story and didn't seem to have any relevance whatsoever on the underlying plot that's been developing over the first 2.5 seasons. It did, however, open a slew of other questions that I'm sure we'll have to wait a year to get answered.

this show has gotten tired. I've had just about all I can handle.

TeamBoone
02-19-2007, 10:30 PM
I don't necessarily blame it on the writing but more so on the way the plot was going. I watched, but didn't like the long boring stint on the other island. It held no interest for me whatsoever. I hope they get Jack off that island ASAP so we can get back to the core characters and leave the other island far far behind.

Yachtzee
02-19-2007, 10:41 PM
I don't necessarily blame it on the writing but more so on the way the plot was going. I watched, but didn't like the long boring stint on the other island. It held no interest for me whatsoever. I hope they get Jack off that island ASAP so we can get back to the core characters and leave the other island far far behind.

The "Others" were far more interesting when we didn't know anything about them. We've already invested so much time in the survivors of the plane crash that introducing the Others, with their own set of issues and questions, just muddies the waters.

Joseph
02-19-2007, 10:46 PM
The "Others" were far more interesting when we didn't know anything about them. We've already invested so much time in the survivors of the plane crash that introducing the Others, with their own set of issues and questions, just muddies the waters.

Exactly. Don't try to make me have sympathy for Juliet. The show was great when it was about survival, now they are trying to make some sort of devil out of Henry [not that he's a good guy].

HumnHilghtFreel
02-19-2007, 11:18 PM
In the article I read, the writers said the "big" questions aren't planned to be answered until the final season. A lot of the little details are supposed to start getting filled in soon though.

Yachtzee
02-19-2007, 11:26 PM
In the article I read, the writers said the "big" questions aren't planned to be answered until the final season. A lot of the little details are supposed to start getting filled in soon though.

I have a feeling that if they don't start answering some of those questions soon, this will be the last season.

Joseph
02-19-2007, 11:29 PM
I have a feeling that if they don't start answering some of those questions soon, this will be the last season.

I don't think this will be the last season, but it won't make it the full 7 [or whatever] they supposedly have planned if they don't get to work.

RFS62
02-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Since the end of Season 2, the pacing has become glacial (in the pre-Al Gore sense of the word), and despite each episode's generous heaping of new questions, answers are mighty tough to come by.

What is the smoke monster, exactly? Why was Libby in the mental hospital? What is the Black Rock doing in the middle of the island? Why is there a four-toed statue? Why did the Others want Walt? Why was Desmond naked? Who cut up the training film? What was "the incident"? What happened to Locke's paralysis? Why was Jack's Dad's coffin empty? How did a horse get on the island? What is the Others' motivation, exactly? Why do the Others want babies? Where are the babies, anyway? Is there another group of knuckle-dragging, baby-kidnapping Others around? Why does Ben think his band of kidnapping torturers are "the good ones"? Why was Carl watching "A Clockwork Orange"? How could Ben be Alex's father if he's never left the island and Danielle arrived pregnant? How did Danielle go 16 years without seeing anyone on this floating metropolis? What is that whispering noise in the forest? What was that cable Sayid found on the beach? What illness did Danielle's team catch? Who was the guy with the eye patch? Who is Jacob? What were Penny's people looking for and why/how? With the hatch gone, what's regulating the island's magnetic field? What was that purple flash and what did it do to the Other's communications with the outside world? When the plane crashed, Ben told Ethan and the other guy to make lists and do nothing but observe; Anna said three people were kidnapped the first night and nine more second night--explain? How did Walt kill birds with his mind and appear to Shannon in the forest? Did the island cure Jin's sterility, or is Sun carrying baldy's child? Why did the smoke monster kill the pilot? Why shouldn't the computers be used for communication? What was the purpose of the hatch's blast doors? Where is the replacement button-pusher? If the program has been terminated, why are the food drops still happening? How did a Beechcraft fly here from Nigeria? Desmond tried to sail away but couldn't; why? Whatever happened to Jack's army? Or Sawyer's palace coup? Why was Desmond injecting himself even after learning that the quarantine was a ruse? Why are some of the hatches manned and not others? If Ben can leave, what's keeping him here? What "history" do Ben and Juliet share? What were Sawyer and Kate helping the Others build? What's the deal with that "broken" speaker in Jack's cell? Michael and Walt sailed off--then what? Ben said "god himself cannot see this island": what did he mean by that? Ecko told Locke that he'd be next to die; how did he know that? And so on.

http://www.gildasclubsouthjersey.org/images/jpegs/gr-rr.jpg

Boy, Mr. Redsland. You sure ask a lot of stupid questions for a guy from New Jersey.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-22-2007, 12:00 AM
This was the first episode that I've been willing to say wasn't that good. They previewed that they would be answering questions, but who was asking questions about Jack's tattoo?

LoganBuck
02-22-2007, 12:38 AM
Why do I waste my time on Lost? Next weeks show is billed as can't miss. Odds are we see Charlie and Hurley sitting on the beach and gasp (insert beach dwelling female name) starts drowning and they save her, or they set off to find twinkies and blow.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Why do I waste my time on Lost? Next weeks show is billed as can't miss. Odds are we see Charlie and Hurley sitting on the beach and gasp (insert beach dwelling female name) starts drowning and they save her, or they set off to find twinkies and blow.

Yeah, I'm finally starting to feel let down by the show now, but at the same time, I feel invested since I've watched from the start, so I feel obligated to keep watching lol

MWM
02-22-2007, 01:36 AM
:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

savafan
02-22-2007, 01:38 AM
I agree with the previous statements. I kept waiting for the answers to the three questions, but they never actually came...

disappointed.

savafan
02-22-2007, 02:48 AM
Can someone please remind me what happened to Michael and Walt? Are they even still on the show?

HumnHilghtFreel
02-22-2007, 02:52 AM
Can someone please remind me what happened to Michael and Walt? Are they even still on the show?

The Others gave them a boat so that they could get off the island. I read in EW that they ARE NOT completely done with the show, but probably won't be re-introduced for a little while.

ochre
02-22-2007, 03:34 AM
The obvious answer to all these questions is that the island is an elaborate rat maze set up by a RAND-like entity, whence has grown/evolved strangely awry and/or exactly as intended. It's all about game theory, prisoner's dilemma, Nash equilibria, Risk Dominance and Bayesian Games. Most likely the show's concept was developed in sync/spirit with the John Nash movie from a few years back.

My guess is that the Darma group (pseudo-RAND equivalent) instantiated the island as a mechanism to validate the Bayesian Games concept:

Bayesian game
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

In game theory, a Bayesian game is one in which information about characteristics of the other players (i.e. payoffs) is incomplete. Following John C. Harsanyi's framework, a Bayesian game can be modelled by introducing Nature as a player in a game. Nature assigns a random variable to each player which could take values of types for each player and associating probabilities or a probability density function with those types (in the course of the game, nature randomly chooses a type for each player according to the probability distribution across each player's type space). Harsanyi's approach to modelling a Bayesian game in such a way allows game of incomplete information to become games of imperfect information (in which the history of the game is not available to all players). The type of a player determines that player's payoff function and the probability associated with the type is the probability that the player for whom the type is specified is that type. In a Bayesian game, the incompleteness of information means that at least one player is unsure of the type (and so the payoff function) of another player.

Such games are called Bayesian because of the probabilistic analysis inherent in the game. Players have initial beliefs about the type of each player (where a belief is a probability distribution over the possible types for a player) and can update their beliefs according to Bayes' Rule as play takes place in the game, i.e. the belief a player holds about another player's type might change on the basis of the actions they have played. The lack of information held by players and modelling of beliefs mean that such games are also used to analyse imperfect information scenarios.

I think there are also some additional "new world order" overtones in the show, in particular the way it seems all these people were brought together (and likely are not the first such group to be 'selected') by the flashbacks to their previous encounters with one another. There are also some hintings toward Quantum mechanics techniques being applied through the layout of the island. It would seem the island is a fantastic modern interpretation of the "Panopticon" originally conceptualized by Jeremy Bentham in the late 18th century.

So, allowing for the theoretical impossibilities (physics & technologies otherwise unavailable by modern consensus), there is no real 'magic' in the show. It's all just part of an elaborate, massive scale, pan-generational social experiment. Or, perhaps it's just a cigar.

RFS62
02-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Speed kills, dude.

Sweetstop
02-22-2007, 10:31 AM
I watched the one before about Desmond (since I slept thru most of it last week) and thought it very good. He's one the most interesting characters, anyway.

Last night's episode, while not answering any questions (other than info about Jack's tattoo, the fact that The Others just use the little island for God knows what and don't live there, and that Carl and Alex are in moony-love) did have Jack forming an alliance (and probable love-connection) w/ Juliette, and we know he's going to be in the thick of running things back at The Others' home base.

My husband is totally impatient w/ the storyline, wanting to know all The Answers NOW. I keep saying, "But, then they wouldn't have a show, would they?";)

Yachtzee
02-22-2007, 10:38 AM
I watched the one before about Desmond (since I slept thru most of it last week) and thought it very good. He's one the most interesting characters, anyway.

Last night's episode, while not answering any questions (other than info about Jack's tattoo, the fact that The Others just use the little island for God knows what and don't live there, and that Carl and Alex are in moony-love) did have Jack forming an alliance (and probable love-connection) w/ Juliette, and we know he's going to be in the thick of running things back at The Others' home base.

My husband is totally impatient w/ the storyline, wanting to know all The Answers NOW. I keep saying, "But, then they wouldn't have a show, would they?";)

I don't know. I think it seems too predictable that there will be a twist that shows that Juliette and Ben have been playing him. Notice how Jack always seems to be doing things to help Ben in order to get Juliette or Kate/Sawyer out of hot water?

durl
02-22-2007, 10:54 AM
I agree with the previous statements. I kept waiting for the answers to the three questions, but they never actually came...

disappointed.

I thought the episode was a little lame, too. But we did get some answers last night. Not big ones, mind you.

1 - We learned what Jack's tattoo says. I believe the producers have said that Jack's tattoo will mean something important. While we didn't get the "oh, wow!" thing out of we were hoping, they did give an answer. Sorta. Partially. I'm guessing the boring backstory will mean more later.

2 - We (kinda) learned what happened to those taken from the beach by the Others. We even saw the "teddie-bear" kid that we saw a long time ago walking through the jungle.

3- I'll stretch on this one: we learned that the Others don't live on the island that they work on. (Answering a question we never asked.) Of course that creates another question: "WHY???" Still, there are apparently a lot of islands around there.

So while we learned a few things, the answers give rise to other questions. Entirely typical for this show.

Red Leader
02-22-2007, 10:58 AM
The only thing we learned last night was that we originally didn't ask enough questions.

This show is now bordering on ridiculous, and I don't think they are going to tie it all together soon.

I knew when Jack saw that blonde lady walking out of his cell this episode was going to be awful. New characters, yay! That's just what we need. Another person to know nothing about and get a whole backstory on that means nothing. Yippee.

Yachtzee
02-22-2007, 12:10 PM
The only thing we learned last night was that we originally didn't ask enough questions.

This show is now bordering on ridiculous, and I don't think they are going to tie it all together soon.

I knew when Jack saw that blonde lady walking out of his cell this episode was going to be awful. New characters, yay! That's just what we need. Another person to know nothing about and get a whole backstory on that means nothing. Yippee.

Yeah, I just can't wait until they give us the backstory of those two whiny people in the plane crash camp who tagged along when Mr. Eko was killed. They seem sooo interesting. :rolleyes:

M2
02-22-2007, 01:29 PM
Lost adheres to the X-Files central tenet of never letting you know what's really going on. Somewhat incomprehensible strange things are going on and the "story" is really about the characters, not the plot. The split nature of the season has caused some characters to get short-shrift. For instance, Charlie's season is just starting (and it could be quickly ending, though you've got to like his chances to escape fate for the better part of the season).

Sayid, Sun and Jin haven't had much to do since the second episode. Kate's officially lost at the moment. She's had plenty of screen time, but her character has gone nowhere. Slagging Mr. Eko, Ana Lucia and Libby along with sending Michael and Walt off into the sunset has punched a few holes in the character web. Libby seemed to be a a huge part of whatever story was emerging around Hugo. Whatever investment fans made in those characters now seems wasted, making folks distrustful any new characters. It also creates multiple storyline deadends. Essentially you've got a study in character that's been bleeding characters.

Those voids have to be filled with new stuff/characters and it's probably going to take some time for that to happen.

BoxingRed
02-22-2007, 02:08 PM
My wife and I are huge fans of the show and have no problems with the pacing or plotlines, but we both found last night to be a setback compared to the first 2 of the spring season.
I felt like all the things that we "learned" about Jack, we already knew. He's a reluctant, but amazing leader and he will always be forced to make tough decisions and be an outsider because of it. This is ground we covered in Season 1.
I usually poo-poo most criticisms of Lost as impatience or being too picky, but anyone who says last night was a snoozer will not get an arguement from us.

ochre
02-22-2007, 02:52 PM
I thought the flashbacks last night were pertinent to the ongoing dynamic between Jack and Juliette. It was an indication that he knows, from personal experience, that her ultimate allegiance will be to her "tribe" or "community". Doesn't matter if they get it on, or whatever. She might "give him a tatoo" someday, but in the end Ben, et al. are still going to beat him down for it when she tells them about it. He's an outsider, no matter how any of "them" might act towards him individually. The flashbacks just showed that he is cognizant of that and unlikely to get plizzled.

LoganBuck
02-22-2007, 02:55 PM
I think that this show derailed when they shifted the focus to the Others. Quite frankly I am sick of Sawyer, Jack and Kate. I don't like Kate, we are supposed to believe that in the course of 24 hours, which is all the time that has really passed since Kate and Sawyer made woopie, that they shared this intense experience of escaping and suddenly they hate each other? Or that Kate loves Jack instead?

I don't think Lost is going to make it to their supposed end date.

Red in Chicago
02-22-2007, 08:01 PM

i guarantee you will feel "liberated" the first night you decide not to watch any longer...it was the best decision i made...

BuckeyeRed27
02-22-2007, 08:55 PM
I really liked last nights episode.

I really have nothing to say past that its just that the show has been getting ripped apart so bad that I figured somebody should say something nice about it :)

TeamBoone
02-22-2007, 09:50 PM
They touted last nights show as the one with the answers.... I must be dense, because I didn't see any answers.

LoganBuck
02-23-2007, 12:20 AM
The answers were provided to the following, in case you missed them

1. Jack's tattoo meaning (In case you were dying to know)
2. Where did the flight attendent go?
3. Where did the childern go?
4. Where do the others live?

Just to recap
1. Jack's tattoo "says" he walks among them but is not one of them. It "means" that he is a great leader, albeit a lonely one.
2. The flight attendent was taken by the others
3. So were the children and they seem happy
4. The others live on the same island as everyone else. They work on Island #2.

You can now sleep well, the universe is set straight.

savafan
02-23-2007, 05:18 AM
Yeah, and I don't think that the Others are bad people, and Ben seems to be a moralistic character, but I'm not sure what else to think about them.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-01-2007, 11:27 AM
I just watched last night's episode on ABC's site. It didn't really do much as far as answering questions, but I really liked the episode.

Sweetstop
03-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Nice little change of pace...and Hugo's father is Cheech!

Yachtzee
03-01-2007, 11:39 AM
This would have been a great episode...in Season One or Two.

Red Leader
03-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Last night's episode was ok. I like Hurley, so that's really the only reason I liked the show. At times it feels like the writer's are telling this story with the intention of the show running for 20 seasons. C'mon man, give me some substance. Next week's show preview raised another question and looks to answer another. What did Locke do to endanger them and we supposedly find out who the one eyed guy seen in S2 or was it the first part of S3? I doubt we know the answers to either of those questions next week.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-01-2007, 12:08 PM
I like Hurley, so that's really the only reason I liked the show.

Yeah, for what seemed like a filler episode, it wasn't that bad. I think we're expecting too much by hoping for answers EVERY week, but since they've started giving some out it's what we're looking for in all the episodes now.

BoxingRed
03-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Last night was the equivalent of what I liked to call a "monster" episode of XFiles. Didn't advance the overall plot, but was still fun to watch.

TeamCasey
03-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Is it me, or has Hurley gained a lot more weight?

That episode was fun.

Not sure if I'm going to be into a Jack rescue at the Other's camp. I've had about enough of them.

savafan
03-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Not sure if I'm going to be into a Jack rescue at the Other's camp. I've had about enough of them.

Well, if what I hear is true, that storyline may not be around for much longer anyway...at least not past this season.

Joseph
03-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Well, if what I hear is true, that storyline may not be around for much longer anyway...at least not past this season.

Details pal, details.

redsrule2500
03-03-2007, 12:07 AM

What do you mean?

savafan
03-03-2007, 04:33 PM
A certain actor on the show's agent has been trying to find him work past this season. Read into it what you will. ;)

WVPacman
03-05-2007, 01:54 AM
The only thing that I have to say about this show is that KATE IS HOTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!:D

BoxingRed
03-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Let me be the first to post that last night's LOST was excellent. We got some decent answers, lots of action, some good emotion from the torture scene and ping pong humor.
I know Sayid is mad at Locke, but don't you think he had an obligation to tell Locke that the place was rigged? If this was their way home, Sayid should have had the group stand guard over the place while he tried to figure a way to repair it. Of course, that would have ruined the plot twist. Just sayin...:)

LoganBuck
03-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Agreed Boxing. It was like one of the episodes from early on. The last two weeks have been better because we are getting more of the rest of the castaways. Especially Hurley, he really makes the show go for me.

HotCorner
03-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Great episode last night! I get the feeling that season will end on a high note and it will be a lot of fun watching it play out.

Joseph
03-08-2007, 10:44 AM
A certain actor on the show's agent has been trying to find him work past this season. Read into it what you will. ;)

A certain actor amongst the Others, or a certain actor named Matthew Fox? lol

Donder
03-08-2007, 11:40 AM
I went to bed last night thinking "Lost is back!" It was a good feeling. I agree with Logan, this episode felt more like a Season 1 episode. My favorite scenes from Lost have always been when a group of Losties explore the island, which is exactly what we're getting this week (and apparently next) with Sayid, Kate, Locke, and Danielle.

Locke is my favorite character, but did anyone else wonder what the heck he was thinking when he punched in "77"? And then he was so proud of himself. "Now I know why you didn't want me to beat the computer" with a huge grin on his face.

BoxingRed
03-08-2007, 01:03 PM
My guess is he was thinking it was a way to send a distress signal. A last second mayday or SOS if the station was about to be overrun.

savafan
03-08-2007, 01:59 PM
A certain actor amongst the Others, or a certain actor named Matthew Fox? lol

Yes, one of those. :D

Joseph
03-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Yes, one of those. :D

Where's the old man shaking his fist smilie? lol

HumnHilghtFreel
03-08-2007, 04:15 PM
I thought it was a much better episode than the last few. I also went into it with lowered expectations, so that only made it that much better. Hopefully they keep the storyline more action packed.

TeamCasey
03-08-2007, 08:49 PM
It was good .... but what questions did it answer?

HumnHilghtFreel
03-08-2007, 09:03 PM

I think we as TV viewers are getting spoiled with a lot of shows. We expect every week to be filled with "answers" or new questions. Sometimes I forget that I'm watching to be entertained, not to do a report on it for school and need answers quick. Take the show for face value, last night was a pretty entertaining show, answers or no answers.

RFS62
03-08-2007, 09:45 PM
I think we as TV viewers are getting spoiled with a lot of shows. We expect every week to be filled with "answers" or new questions.

Maybe.

I just expect it to not suck.

Season 3 has sucked IMHO.

BoxingRed
03-08-2007, 11:44 PM

Well, we know who the guy with the eyepatch is.
We know what the Flame station is or rather was.
It can be inferred that the hatch implosion has damaged the Other's ability to communicate with the outside world as well as their sonar beacon for their sub(s).
It was inferred that there was a conflict between the Others and the Darhma folks and the Others won.
It can also be inferred that the Others have been there in some form or another for a long time, or at least longer than Darhma.
I think that is pretty good for one episode.:)
BTW it was proposed on EW that the Others are Gnostics, who historically have another name I can't remember. Anyway, the other name translates to "The Good People". A reference Ben/Henry has made to his folk a couple of times.

mth123
03-09-2007, 07:22 AM
I went to bed last night thinking "Lost is back!" It was a good feeling. I agree with Logan, this episode felt more like a Season 1 episode. My favorite scenes from Lost have always been when a group of Losties explore the island, which is exactly what we're getting this week (and apparently next) with Sayid, Kate, Locke, and Danielle.

Locke is my favorite character, but did anyone else wonder what the heck he was thinking when he punched in "77"? And then he was so proud of himself. "Now I know why you didn't want me to beat the computer" with a huge grin on his face.

Best episode of the year.

Here is my crazy theory for the next plot twist:

Locke has been turned by the others and is working for them now. He was alone with the leader in the first hatch and the leader helped him when the door came down on his legs. Locke was basically responsible for the first hatch getting blown up and now this one as well. Hmmm?

BoxingRed
03-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Locke has been turned by the others and is working for them now. He was alone with the leader in the first hatch and the leader helped him when the door came down on his legs. Locke was basically responsible for the first hatch getting blown up and now this one as well. Hmmm?

I don't know about Locke. I think when you approach things from the basis of faith, as he does, you can make some bad decisions. The other side of that is that Locke has faith that everything is meant to happen, so there are no real bad decisions. I don't see him as an Other sympathizer at all. In fact, I think he is at the other end of that spectrum.
I have long suspected that something isn't right with Charlie. He's very nosey, sticks close to the baby and seems to go into some very deep funks at times. As if he is dealing with an inner conflict.
Then again, could be the heroin talking.

mth123
03-09-2007, 08:00 AM
I don't know about Locke. I think when you approach things from the basis of faith, as he does, you can make some bad decisions. The other side of that is that Locke has faith that everything is meant to happen, so there are no real bad decisions. I don't see him as an Other sympathizer at all. In fact, I think he is at the other end of that spectrum.

That is what will make it such a good plot twist.

TeamCasey
03-09-2007, 10:09 PM
I think we as TV viewers are getting spoiled with a lot of shows. We expect every week to be filled with "answers" or new questions. Sometimes I forget that I'm watching to be entertained, not to do a report on it for school and need answers quick. Take the show for face value, last night was a pretty entertaining show, answers or no answers.

:laugh: I don't need a lecture on my TV viewing. I've had years of experience.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that we got some answers. Just curious what they got out of it. Lots of people discuss the theories and whatnot.

savafan
03-15-2007, 02:50 AM
Tonight's episode was perhaps the best of the season so far.

Jack and Claire are brother and sister...

Locke an other?

Jack catching the football...

Wow, that was quality "Lost" at it's finest!

redsrule2500
03-15-2007, 05:15 AM
Tonight was good, but next week should be better. Can't wait!

redsmetz
03-15-2007, 06:54 AM
Tonight's episode was perhaps the best of the season so far.

Jack and Claire are brother and sister...

Locke an other?

Jack catching the football...

Wow, that was quality "Lost" at it's finest!

I didn't take it as him possibly being an "other", although I can understand how you reach that conclusion. I took it as another example where one or another "other" had interactions previously with some of those lost.

Sweetstop
03-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Tonight was good, but next week should be better. Can't wait!

I enjoyed the "Claire" story.

I'm anxious to find out how Locke ended up in a wheel chair.

HotCorner
03-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Tremendous episode!

I think Locke has different motives rather than rescuing Jack from the Others than do the other members of the rescue party.

Yachtzee
03-15-2007, 10:49 AM
Tremendous episode!

I think Locke has different motives rather than rescuing Jack from the Others than do the other members of the rescue party.

Locke has always had a lot of faith in people and has been taken advantage of. Knowing that the others seem to know a lot about them from his conversation with Ben, I think Locke wants to know if he's being played again.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Just watched it online. Great episode again, this show's really starting to turn around for me at least.

Also- I'm a fan of Claire with dark hair lol

WVPacman
03-16-2007, 01:34 AM
Best episode of the year.

Here is my crazy theory for the next plot twist:

Yep I agree with you about locke,I think he is with the bad guys!! I don't know why but I think he is.

LOL ok be honest who will be mad if this show is nothing but a dream??
:evil:

HumnHilghtFreel
03-16-2007, 02:40 AM
LOL ok be honest who will be mad if this show is nothing but a dream??
:evil:

My theory. It's Claire's mom dreaming while she's in her coma. Which would explain why it goes on for so long and is so vivid.

Benihana
03-16-2007, 01:31 PM
My theory. It's Claire's mom dreaming while she's in her coma. Which would explain why it goes on for so long and is so vivid.

Youre not serious are you? Do you really think the whole show would be the dream of a character who was introduced 2/3 of the way through the 3rd season?

HumnHilghtFreel
03-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Youre not serious are you? Do you really think the whole show would be the dream of a character who was introduced 2/3 of the way through the 3rd season?

Hey, I never said it was a good theory! :)

marcshoe
03-16-2007, 11:47 PM
Up until several episodes into the second season, I thought Locke was a bad guy. An anti-Christ figure. I have since changed my mind completely. And if I still harbored any suspicions, his taking and using Eko's stick did away with them.

'course I tend to think symbolically and, with this show, even allegorically.

WVPacman
03-18-2007, 02:00 AM

lol you could be on to something!!;)

letsgojunior
03-22-2007, 01:38 AM
So I think Lost is back

HumnHilghtFreel
03-22-2007, 01:41 AM
AH I missed it tonight. I got drawn into the Cavs game and forgot it was on. I'll have to wait for it to be uploaded to ABC's site tomorrow.

bengalsown
03-22-2007, 02:16 AM
Wow Lost is back!

BoxingRed
03-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Great episode.
So the smoke creature takes the form of Locke's dad? Or did the island "bring him" there?
I keep wondering what form the smoke monster took the very first time Locke confronted it back in season 1.
With the sub and boat gone, it makes Michael a pretty essential character next season or will Penny find her way to the island somehow.

Red Leader
03-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Wow Lost is back!

You guys feel that way? Honestly.

I enjoyed last night's episode but I totally felt a "jump the shark" moment at the end when they showed Locke's Dad. I'm glad Ben got some more screen time. I love him as an actor on that show. His character is my favorite. I really like Juliette as well, but the end of the show....meh.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Great episode.

It's amazing to me how things have changed from the start. Sawyer started out as a selfish jerk, and turned into a very likable character. Locke started out as a likable character and now seems like a selfish jerk.

Yachtzee
03-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Great episode.
So the smoke creature takes the form of Locke's dad? Or did the island "bring him" there?
I keep wondering what form the smoke monster took the very first time Locke confronted it back in season 1.
With the sub and boat gone, it makes Michael a pretty essential character next season or will Penny find her way to the island somehow.

I would say the obvious answer is that Ben's gang brought him there. Ben is a master of manipulation, and it seems very clear that he knows how to push John Locke's buttons. He knows about Locke's past, so getting a hold of Locke's father is a powerful tool for manipulating him. I thought it was rather easy to foresee that Locke's father was going to make an appearance on the island.

I also don't buy the whole notion that there is no way to leave the island other than the sub. There doesn't seem to be a lot of concern about provisions, and judging by the amount of Dharma stuff in Ben's fridge, whether they are Dharma or not, they still rely on the Dharma deliveries for their food. If they truly couldn't communicate with the mainland, I think there would be a bit more concern over food. And as of yet I haven't seen any large scale agricultural activity sufficient to support the community in a style they seem accustomed to. Of course maybe that's something we haven't seen yet.

Red Leader
03-22-2007, 11:29 AM
I also don't buy the whole notion that there is no way to leave the island other than the sub. There doesn't seem to be a lot of concern about provisions, and judging by the amount of Dharma stuff in Ben's fridge, whether they are Dharma or not, they still rely on the Dharma deliveries for their food. If they truly couldn't communicate with the mainland, I think there would be a bit more concern over food. And as of yet I haven't seen any large scale agricultural activity sufficient to support the community in a style they seem accustomed to. Of course maybe that's something we haven't seen yet.

Maybe that's what Sawyer and Kate were working on when they first were captured by the Others. They were obviously clearing land for something and that was after the hatch explosion that supposedly caused the disruption in communication. If that's what it was, why wouldn't they have tried to capture Sun. She's, agriculturally, the strongest, IMO. We'll have to see next week. Maybe they did get to her and she's the one that flipped to their side.

Let me know. Unless it's a Kate, Ben or Juliette-centric episode, I probably won't watch.

Red Leader
03-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Next week's episode, FWIW, is Nikki and Paulo-centric. They will be featured in the backstory. I, most likely, won't watch.

Red Leader
03-22-2007, 11:36 AM
The week after is Kate-centric. I will watch that.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Maybe that's what Sawyer and Kate were working on when they first were captured by the Others. They were obviously clearing land for something and that was after the hatch explosion that supposedly caused the disruption in communication. If that's what it was, why wouldn't they have tried to capture Sun. She's, agriculturally, the strongest, IMO. We'll have to see next week. Maybe they did get to her and she's the one that flipped to their side.

That's a good point. I pretty much forgot about that part of the storyline by now after the break period and all.

BoxingRed
03-22-2007, 12:57 PM

Well if there are other ways to leave the island, then Ben's big speech about how fortunate it was that Locke blew up the sub was pretty pointless. I saw that speech as a "in case you didn't get it" for the audience.
Apparently there are automatic food drops for the Dharma folks. It is a real possibility that those on the outside world don't know that things have gone badly for the Dharma group and continue the process until told otherwise.
Perhaps the Others' agri-projects are preparation for when that time comes.

BoxingRed
03-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Next week's episode, FWIW, is Nikki and Paulo-centric. They will be featured in the backstory. I, most likely, won't watch.

Supposedly, this episode has a huge twist that really changes things.
Personally, I think Nikki and Paulo are Others that have infiltrated, but I don't have a lot of evidence for that.
I do think the characters were introduced for a very specific purpose and that purpose is not a lasting one.

Yachtzee
03-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Supposedly, this episode has a huge twist that really changes things.
Personally, I think Nikki and Paulo are Others that have infiltrated, but I don't have a lot of evidence for that.
I do think the characters were introduced for a very specific purpose and that purpose is not a lasting one.

Personally, I've been hoping that those two find a couple of red shirts from a box of Dharma Initiative Halloween costumes and end up as all red shirts end up. I think Ben's speech about the sub being the only way off the island is once again a little suspect. It may be the only way off the island known among the general "Other" population. But I have a feeling Ben was still working on Locke.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Possible spoiler for the future:

After last nights episode and what we know so far, I'm starting to think that John Locke's dad is the real Sawyer, who "Sawyer" took the name after and began his own conning schemes.

Red Leader
03-22-2007, 02:31 PM
*spoiler*

I believe you are correct on that. They've recently done a very good job tying characters together through their past.

Claire / Jack / Jack's Dad. Jack's Dad / Sawyer. Locke's Dad / Sawyer.

Charlie / Desmond. All very interesting.

Yachtzee
03-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Possible spoiler for the future:

After last nights episode and what we know so far, I'm starting to think that John Locke's dad is the real Sawyer, who "Sawyer" took the name after and began his own conning schemes.

I think you're on to something. Now that we know Jack and Claire are related, why not Locke and Sawyer? I figured there was a Sawyer angle in there somewhere.

LoganBuck
03-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Best episode of the year last night. I would put it as a top 5 for the whole series. I love the Ben/Locke exchanges.

My guess is they have to kill someone off so they might as well take out a redshirt next week.

The Others still have Desmond's boat. So don't believe the only way off the island crap.

BoxingRed
03-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Best episode of the year last night. I would put it as a top 5 for the whole series. I love the Ben/Locke exchanges.

My guess is they have to kill someone off so they might as well take out a redshirt next week.

The Others still have Desmond's boat. So don't believe the only way off the island crap.

Didn't that get blown up?

Red Leader
03-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Does anyone remember the Hurley-centric episode after he had won the lottery where he was talking to one of his financial advisors and telling him that everything was going to crap and he wanted to give the money away, etc. etc. etc. And then a man was heard falling past the window.

I wonder if that man was John Locke.

BoxingRed
03-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Does anyone remember the Hurley-centric episode after he had won the lottery where he was talking to one of his financial advisors and telling him that everything was going to crap and he wanted to give the money away, etc. etc. etc. And then a man was heard falling past the window.

Good call. The falling guy showed up right after it was mentioned to Hurley that he had purchased the controlling interest in a box factory as well.

marcshoe
03-22-2007, 07:20 PM

Let me know. Unless it's a Kate, Ben or Juliette-centric episode, I probably won't watch.

I've mentioned before (or maybe it was on another board) that I thought Juliette/the others were responsible for Sun's pregnancy. From the previews, I'd say she's the one who's been flipped.

BoxingRed
03-22-2007, 11:13 PM
I've mentioned before (or maybe it was on another board) that I thought Juliette/the others were responsible for Sun's pregnancy. From the previews, I'd say she's the one who's been flipped.

That's somewhat possible.
A few problems:
1. She shot and killed an Other very recently and after she found out she was preggers.
2. The OB/GYN told her, in confidence, that Jin was the problem, not her.
3. She was having an affair that could have led to the pregnancy.

Joseph
03-22-2007, 11:31 PM

I don't think the guy in the Hurley one is Locke. He's wearing dark blue pants and a light blue shirt whereas Locke has on greenish pants and a green top. The guy in the Hurley episode is also wearing a tie, has really dark hair, and is falling face first, not on his back.

Though anything is possible.

HotCorner
03-23-2007, 12:34 AM
I think Sun finds out who was responsible for her kidnapping from last season.

Yachtzee
03-23-2007, 01:23 AM
That's somewhat possible.
A few problems:
1. She shot and killed an Other very recently and after she found out she was preggers.

Yeah. Considering what was said after Juliette killed Danny, her killing Danny's wife on the boat is a big no-no. I think the baby is either a result of her affair or that Jin was cured by the island.

marcshoe
03-23-2007, 09:44 AM
I had forgotten about her killing the other. I still don't think the affair led to the pregnancy, though.

BoxingRed
03-23-2007, 12:58 PM
I think Sun finds out who was responsible for her kidnapping from last season.

You mean when Charlie and Sawyer faked the kidnapping?
You may be right based on the previews for the next episode.

Here's the blurb for the next episode:
Hurley is suspicious of Sawyer's involvement in an island mystery. Meanwhile, Sun learns the truth about her past kidnapping attempt by "The Others."

HumnHilghtFreel
03-29-2007, 12:03 AM
Decent show for showing some answers to things with a nice twist at the end.

letsgojunior
03-29-2007, 12:04 AM
I think this was by far the best episode of the season.

Red Leader
03-29-2007, 12:05 AM
Decent show for showing some answers to things with a nice twist at the end.

WTH (sorry Team Boone) was the point to that ending?

Overall, I really liked the episode. Wasn't going to watch, but I'm glad I did. Just think of how many problems the Losties could have avoided if Paulo would have just opened up his mouth about what he had seen / heard.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-29-2007, 12:07 AM
WTH (sorry Team Boone) was the point to that ending?

I don't think it really added anything of substance, just gave it kind of an unexpected end

marcshoe
03-29-2007, 12:11 AM
Well, they gave the Nikki & Paolo haters what they wanted, at least.

It was an all right diversion.

HotCorner
03-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Just when I start to like Nikki, they go and kill her. :evil:

Good episode. Exceeded my expectations.

Red Leader
03-29-2007, 12:12 AM
I don't think it really added anything of substance, just gave it kind of an unexpected end

lgj just informed me that Nikki said the spider bite would wear off after 8 hours and that she told Paulo that even a doctor would have a hard time finding a heartbeat his heart would slow so much. I didn't even put 2 and 2 together. I must be really tired. I was just thinking "that's stupid that they made it seem like she was alive when Hurley checked her pulse and she was dead. :laugh: I thought they just threw that in for no reason. I'm an idiot sometimes.

Red Leader
03-29-2007, 12:17 AM
Well, they gave the Nikki & Paolo haters what they wanted, at least.

It was an all right diversion.

It was kind of like the S1 or S2 (whenever that was) episode where they showed what happened at the other camp during the same time frame as the Losties. I liked that episode and I liked this one, too. Just wish Paulo would have opened his mouth about some stuff...the Ben conversation, the hatch, the plane, etc.

marcshoe
03-29-2007, 12:17 AM
I was assuming they were alive the whole time, but maybe for a false reason. I was assuming that dead characters don't have flashbacks. I can't remember for sure about Boone & Shannon, though; I could be wrong.

But I thought the shots of Paolo's eyes before the flashback meant that he was still conscious.

That, and I'd read the last scene of Romeo & Juliet recently....

Yachtzee
03-29-2007, 12:23 AM
It was a diversion, but I must say I enjoyed the cheesy TV show at the beginning. I just about died laughing when she busted out that "Razzle dazzle." It's like she learned acting from a '70s Hanna Barbara cartoon! Awesome.

The whole ending made it seem more like an episode of The Twilight Zone. I expected Rod Serling to start in with the closing narration.

Red Leader
03-29-2007, 12:31 AM
On more than one occasion Lost has started out with a flashback like tonight's (I started watch a minute or two late and didn't see Nikki running through the jungle..) and I'm totally "lost," thinking that I'm watching the wrong channel. I had to check the guide to make sure I was watching the right channel. I saw Billy Dee and I thought "who changed this to BET?" :all_cohol :laugh:

Yachtzee
03-29-2007, 12:39 AM
On more than one occasion Lost has started out with a flashback like tonight's (I started watch a minute or two late and didn't see Nikki running through the jungle..) and I'm totally "lost," thinking that I'm watching the wrong channel. I had to check the guide to make sure I was watching the right channel. I saw Billy Dee and I thought "who changed this to BET?" :all_cohol :laugh:

Does this mean that Billy Dee is going to start turning up in other characters' flashbacks? Like say Billy Dee heads off to Korea to do star in a commercial and stays at the hotel owned by Sun's father and bumps into Dr. Christian Shepard?

Red Leader
03-29-2007, 12:45 AM
Does this mean that Billy Dee is going to start turning up in other characters' flashbacks? Like say Billy Dee heads off to Korea to do star in a commercial and stays at the hotel owned by Sun's father and bumps into Dr. Christian Shepard?

We can all hope.

Maybe he appears on the island as Lando and turns all of the Losties in to Ben. Freaking traitor. :laugh:

MWM
03-29-2007, 01:21 AM
Tonght's episode was a complete waste of time, IMO. It had nothing to do with anything. They just completely resolved a story line about characters no one really cares about. It did nothing to further anything.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-29-2007, 01:28 AM
We can all hope.

Maybe he appears on the island as Lando and turns all of the Losties in to Ben. Freaking traitor. :laugh:

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do to protect Cloud City.

LoganBuck
03-29-2007, 08:47 AM
Lost fans rejoice everywhere.

MrCinatit
03-29-2007, 11:33 AM
I kind of liked that episode. It kind of reminded me of the quirky, not-so-serious episodes they would have every once in a while on X-Files.

I also got a chuckle out of seeing Art again.
"Dude...you got a little Art on you...right here."

Yachtzee
03-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Were Shannon and Boone wearing wigs in that episode?

Joseph
03-29-2007, 12:02 PM
Were Shannon and Boone wearing wigs in that episode?

She really looked like she was, he did in one scene, but not in the other. I'd have to say yes though.

durl
03-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Tonght's episode was a complete waste of time, IMO. It had nothing to do with anything. They just completely resolved a story line about characters no one really cares about. It did nothing to further anything.

We did get to see where Palo (sp?) saw Ben and Juliet watching Jack in the Pearl station. Juliet thought Jack was "cute." That could come into play later on.

joshnky
03-29-2007, 10:56 PM

I totally agree with you. I'm shocked to hear that people actually liked it. Nothing of substance occurred and you really didn't learn anything you didn't know other than the fact that Charlie kidnapped Sun which I always suspected anyway. If they're going to have a throw away episode like this why not focus on one of the main characters. I don't know if I can take this show much longer. At least the previews for next week look good.

bengalsown
03-29-2007, 11:04 PM
Nothing of substance occurred and you really didn't learn anything you didn't know other than the fact that Charlie kidnapped Sun which I always suspected anyway. good.

At the end of that episode, they told us that Charlie kidnapped her already...

We did find out in this show a little more about that hatch and what not, but overall it kinda felt like a waste.

It was still entertaining though.

Patrick Bateman
03-29-2007, 11:06 PM
Nothing of substance occurred and you really didn't learn anything you didn't know other than the fact that Charlie kidnapped Sun which I always suspected anyway.

We already knew that.

joshnky
03-30-2007, 07:55 AM
We already knew that.

I forgot about that. I guess thats why I knew that. And I thought I was smart. ;)

In that case then, this show was even more pointless than I thought it was.

creek14
03-30-2007, 11:29 AM
I was pretty impressed with how long Paulo could stare into space without blinking.

And Hurley's worries that the crime scene would be messed up was funny.

HotCorner
03-30-2007, 01:05 PM
And Hurley's worries that the crime scene would be messed up was funny.

"Crime scene? Is there a forensics hatch I don't know about?"

BoxingRed
03-30-2007, 02:28 PM
"Crime scene? Is there a forensics hatch I don't know about?"

Great line. I am not sure what shows people are watching that makes them so quick to poo poo Lost. What shows am I missing that make Lost so awful in other people's eyes? I know people love 24, but what else?
The Locke episode was outstanding, as good as anything they have done IMO.
Wed. episode was amusing and I think all the little nuances that Paulo was privy to will be a factor as things continue, particularly the walkie-talkie.

savafan
03-30-2007, 03:11 PM
I just finished watching it, and I loved this episode. I think the previous X-Files comparison is somewhat appropriate. I don't believe that they need to give us substance or advance the storyline by leaps and bounds every episode.

joshnky
03-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Great line. I am not sure what shows people are watching that makes them so quick to poo poo Lost. What shows am I missing that make Lost so awful in other people's eyes? I know people love 24, but what else?
The Locke episode was outstanding, as good as anything they have done IMO.
Wed. episode was amusing and I think all the little nuances that Paulo was privy to will be a factor as things continue, particularly the walkie-talkie.

I like Lost most of the time and I really liked the episode about Lost. The show is just very inconsistent as they bounce from character to character. With everyone split up it seems that there are too many story lines going on right now. And while it was interesting that Palo had those experiences, they really mean nothing because he didn't tell anyone and now he's dead. I understand that with a show as complicated as Lost, everyone likes different things about it. I just want to see the plot progress with each episode and I don't think it did on Wednesday. Putting that aside I have very high hopes for next week based on the previews.

michst
03-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Would it be possible for them to escape from the grave or are they going to die in there. I think they should die and we are done with them. Would it be plausible (i guess if locke can now walk anything is) for them to remain alive while buried?

joshnky
03-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Would it be possible for them to escape from the grave or are they going to die in there. I think they should die and we are done with them. Would it be plausible (i guess if locke can now walk anything is) for them to remain alive while buried?

They would probably suffocate pretty quickly. If not, then they would die of thirst within a week. Not a very pleseant way to go. I imagine we won't see them again. The idea of people crawling out of the grave is too much, even for this show.

Red Leader
03-30-2007, 03:33 PM

There is no way someone can survive being buried alive in sand. The weight alone of the sand, and them being a good 3-4 feet deep in the sand is too much for anyone to survive. If somehow on the show they survive, I'll be really disappointed.

BoxingRed
03-30-2007, 05:24 PM
There is no way someone can survive being buried alive in sand. The weight alone of the sand, and them being a good 3-4 feet deep in the sand is too much for anyone to survive. If somehow on the show they survive, I'll be really disappointed.

I agree. I would be surprised to see them come back in anything more than a flashback.
The producers have said they were well aware of the audience's disdain for the couple. The have also said, once you die on the island, you stay dead. While we don't know for sure that they are dead, I can't imagine a way for them to rise....Easter is coming up though.

WVPacman
03-31-2007, 01:32 AM

I know I could'nt survive eing buried for a whole week.
:D

savafan
03-31-2007, 04:19 AM
I agree. I would be surprised to see them come back in anything more than a flashback.
The producers have said they were well aware of the audience's disdain for the couple. The have also said, once you die on the island, you stay dead. While we don't know for sure that they are dead, I can't imagine a way for them to rise....Easter is coming up though.

It's kinda like the Genesis planet from Star Trek.

BoxingRed
04-05-2007, 12:26 AM
Now we're talkin'! Great episode. All the things that made me love Lost were there. Plus some kick booty wet-girl catfighting.;)
BTW, the producers have confirmed that Niki and Paulo are dead as a doornail.
The big question is why leave Juliet behind? Any ideas?
Actually, my question was, why leave the comforts of the compound? Send 2 people back to bring everyone over for some hot showers, Darhma chow and the comfort of a bed. Heck Jack can even jam out on the piano with Charlie.

LoganBuck
04-05-2007, 01:28 AM
Actually, my question was, why leave the comforts of the compound? Send 2 people back to bring everyone over for some hot showers, Darhma chow and the comfort of a bed. Heck Jack can even jam out on the piano with Charlie.

That is exactly what I thought.

Good show tonight, except I hate the Kate flashbacks. What don't we know about her? Seriously enough.

mth123
04-05-2007, 07:53 AM
Now we're talkin'! Great episode. All the things that made me love Lost were there. Plus some kick booty wet-girl catfighting.;)
BTW, the producers have confirmed that Niki and Paulo are dead as a doornail.
The big question is why leave Juliet behind? Any ideas?

I also wondered why they don't just move in.

Here is my crazy theory. I personally think that Sayid is right. Juliet was left behind to study the group and sabotage from within. From the previews it seems to be a similar scenario to when the leader infiltrated the group (and Sayid figured that out too).

I also think that Locke has been working with them and as stated earlier, has been one of the others since the gate come down on him and the leader rescued him. That is why he blew-up two hatches and seemed to be making wrong moves all the time. He killed the eye patch guy (I can't remember all the names- no offense to anyone wearing an eyepatch intended) to preserve his cover and the group's secrets. Now he leaves with them. We may even find out that he isn't really Locke but an imposter sent in by the others (that's why he can walk now).

I also think some connection between Locke, the leader and Jack will be revealed. Jack is a spinal surgeon. Henry needed that surgery and Locke was in a wheelchair (presumably with a spinal injury).

LoganBuck
04-05-2007, 08:45 AM
I also wondered why they don't just move in.

Here is my crazy theory. I personally think that Sayid is right. Juliet was left behind to study the group and sabotage from within. From the previews it seems to be a similar scenario to when the leader infiltrated the group (and Sayid figured that out too).

I also think that Locke has been working with them and as stated earlier, has been one of the others since the gate come down on him and the leader rescued him. That is why he blew-up two hatches and seemed to be making wrong moves all the time. He killed the eye patch guy (I can't remember all the names- no offense to anyone wearing an eyepatch intended) to preserve his cover and the group's secrets. Now he leaves with them. We may even find out that he isn't really Locke but an imposter sent in by the others (that's why he can walk now).

I also think some connection between Locke, the leader and Jack will be revealed. Jack is a spinal surgeon. Henry needed that surgery and Locke was in a wheelchair (presumably with a spinal injury).

I don't know, but I just don't see any of those scenarios playing out. It is so hard to read this show, sometimes you need to take things at face value, others there is an obvious deeper meaning yet to be determined.

Smokey attacks, Juliet knows how to get away, and has the key in her pocket, yet somehow doesn't know anything about Smokey. Why would hiding in a tree fort protect anyone from a smoke monster, btw? Juliet doesn't need to study anyone at the beach, they already know everything. I think she is there to steal something or abduct someone, or she truely has been kicked out of the Others group.

I think the twist is that Locke and Sawyer are connected through Locke's father. Who is magically on the island.

BoxingRed
04-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Smokey attacks, Juliet knows how to get away, and has the key in her pocket, yet somehow doesn't know anything about Smokey. Why would hiding in a tree fort protect anyone from a smoke monster, btw? Juliet doesn't need to study anyone at the beach, they already know everything. I think she is there to steal something or abduct someone, or she truely has been kicked out of the Others group.

I think the twist is that Locke and Sawyer are connected through Locke's father. Who is magically on the island.

As for Smokey, I don't think the tree fort protected them. Smokey was interested in downloading Juliet's life. Smokey has been described as an ethernet to a person's life by the producers. It has also been described as Cerebus. So basically, Smokey downloads your life, gives you chances to repent or become humble and eliminates you if you maintain the status quo.
Eko was killed because he believed he did nothing wrong in his life, it was all for the wellfare of his brother. You or I might see some validity to that, but Smokey sees things in black and white and human pride pisses him off.

Juliet may not have been privy to all the secrets Ben held. I also think Ben sees Locke as the key to mastering the island and Smokey, the security system. Locke has the ability to tame and decipher the one thing that Ben and the Others haven't been able to subdue, Smokey.
As for why she was left behind? Not sure yet, but I think it's mainly a plot device for the castaways to learn more about the Others. I believe the Others plot line may be fully fleshed out by season end. This is a good way to help that along.

I agree on the twist for Sawyer and Locke. The magic being that everyone on the island is connected. Now why they all end up there may be something divine or something new agey. The whole, "there are no coincidences" mentality.

BoxingRed
04-11-2007, 09:09 PM
For those of you that demand answers from LOST, the writer for Entertainment Weekly that covers the show has seen tonights episode and this is what he had to say:
"Yep, I've seen tonight's episode. What can I say? How about this: A couple years from now, when the series is done, I'm certain there will be a DVD product that will collect the 20 or so episodes that represent the Definitive Lost Saga, and this one will be on it. Tonight, you will learn how Juliet came to the Island, and why the Others so desperately needed her miracle-grow baby-making science. You will learn more about Ethan's infiltration of the castaway encampment in season 1. You will learn how the Others know so much about the castaways. And the ending... well, it's killer. The episode is filled with sharp writing, stunning cinematography, and great performances. It is a weird, wicked, wonderful hour of television."

Sounds like tonight's episode is a keeper.

Grounds_Crew
04-11-2007, 09:38 PM
For those of you that demand answers from LOST, the writer for Entertainment Weekly that covers the show has seen tonights episode and this is what he had to say:
"Yep, I've seen tonight's episode. What can I say? How about this: A couple years from now, when the series is done, I'm certain there will be a DVD product that will collect the 20 or so episodes that represent the Definitive Lost Saga, and this one will be on it. Tonight, you will learn how Juliet came to the Island, and why the Others so desperately needed her miracle-grow baby-making science. You will learn more about Ethan's infiltration of the castaway encampment in season 1. You will learn how the Others know so much about the castaways. And the ending... well, it's killer. The episode is filled with sharp writing, stunning cinematography, and great performances. It is a weird, wicked, wonderful hour of television."

Sounds like tonight's episode is a keeper.

Hmmm, nice tidbit of info there. Not really a spoiler, but rather a way to give me something to look forward to!

bengalsown
04-12-2007, 01:34 AM
Pretty good episode, don't know if it lived up to the spoiler posted above however.

Yachtzee
04-12-2007, 01:51 AM
Looks like things should be shaking out pretty interestingly through the season finale. When Jack was talking to Juliette about why he hasn't been trying to get answers and said "You're one of us," I couldn't help thinking, "Jack, you're such a tool. She'll sell you out if she hasn't already."

Manipulation and conniving can only get the Others so far. I can't help but think it's going to end badly for them.

Joseph
04-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Looks like things should be shaking out pretty interestingly through the season finale. When Jack was talking to Juliette about why he hasn't been trying to get answers and said "You're one of us," I couldn't help thinking, "Jack, you're such a tool. She'll sell you out if she hasn't already."

Manipulation and conniving can only get the Others so far. I can't help but think it's going to end badly for them.

Maybe Jack is playing her? Making her believe he believes....maybe I'm wrong though.

Last night was ok. It had some information in it, but it wasn't a particularly good episode in my mind. Of course I flipped between it and the Reds all night so maybe I missed something important. It just seemed to be more of the "The Others are important" jive we keep getting.

In my eyes, they are god moded characters. They have all the answers and do whatever they want yet there is no logical explanation for it at all and it's a hard premise to swallow.

TeamCasey
04-12-2007, 08:44 PM
I loved last night! One of the better episodes this season.

RFS62
04-12-2007, 11:39 PM
It was nice to see Calamity Jane again.

gonelong
04-13-2007, 12:08 AM
It was nice to see Calamity Jane again.

... and Joanie last week.

Hope you caught Charlie Utter on CSI ...

Those guys seem to be turning up everywhere!

GL

BoxingRed
04-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Desmond centered episode this week. Called "Catch 22" for all you Heller fans.

Yachtzee
04-18-2007, 10:15 PM
Desmond centered episode this week. Called "Catch 22" for all you Heller fans.

Love that book. Who plays the role of Major Major?

letsgojunior
04-19-2007, 12:09 AM
I thought this was another excellent episode. Sawyer made Kate a missed tape.:)

bengalsown
04-19-2007, 01:32 AM
Pretty good episode. Can't wait to see how season 3 wraps up.

LoganBuck
04-19-2007, 08:48 AM
I thought this was another excellent episode. Sawyer made Kate a missed tape.:)

A missed tape is different then a mixed tape? I always thought it was a mixed tape?

So so episode last night. Mostly filler. Next week looks interesting.

Red Leader
04-19-2007, 09:52 AM
So, I was watching the show last night and reading a book. Not a good combination with a show like this. At the end when they showed the girl's face in the parachute outfit, I was like "Who is that?" :dunno: "I know it isn't Penny, but I have no idea who that is!" Still don't know. Was that Des' first girlfriend, the girl he walked out on.

FutureRedsGM
04-19-2007, 10:04 AM
So, I was watching the show last night and reading a book. Not a good combination with a show like this. At the end when they showed the girl's face in the parachute outfit, I was like "Who is that?" :dunno: "I know it isn't Penny, but I have no idea who that is!" Still don't know. Was that Des' first girlfriend, the girl he walked out on.

I don't think we are supposed to know who that is yet. It is defintely not the first girlfriend or Penny.

I had been fairly bored with the Dez story line, until last night. I thought it was a great episode. Sawyer and Hurley provided just enough comic relief to counteract Desmonds intensity. Jin's ghost story was HILARIOUS!!

Red Leader
04-19-2007, 10:09 AM
I don't think we are supposed to know who that is yet. It is defintely not the first girlfriend or Penny.

I had been fairly bored with the Dez story line, until last night. I thought it was a great episode. Sawyer and Hurley provided just enough comic relief to counteract Desmonds intensity. Jin's ghost story was HILARIOUS!!

Good to know. Thanks. I felt like it was like previous episodes where they strung you along the whole episode and then BLAM! a shocker of actual fact that made you think OH WOW at the end. At the end of this episode all I could say was "Who was that?" The ending was less interesting to me because I had no idea who that girl was. Maybe the writers thought it was good enough to show a character that WASN'T Penny, but I sure didn't like it that way.

TeamBoone
04-19-2007, 11:48 AM
I liked last night's episode... and the question regarding Juliette was answered (some zoner's were right on the money).

Can someone refresh my memory as to where Desmond came from? I can't remember.

Red Leader
04-19-2007, 12:07 PM

When you say "came from" can you clarify?

Desmond originally came to the island and was "rescued" by the guy working in the Hatch. Desmond took over for him after he killed that man on the rocks and was in the hatch when Jack, Locke, and Kate went into the hatch in Season 2.

Joseph
04-19-2007, 12:07 PM
I liked last night's episode... and the question regarding Juliette was answered (some zoner's were right on the money).

What question about Juliette was answered? I missed it.

What prompts someone to sleep with someone else because they saw their love interest talking to someone? Madness. Course Kate is a whack job even if I find Evangeline cute.

TeamBoone
04-19-2007, 05:08 PM
When you say "came from" can you clarify?

Desmond originally came to the island and was "rescued" by the guy working in the Hatch. Desmond took over for him after he killed that man on the rocks and was in the hatch when Jack, Locke, and Kate went into the hatch in Season 2.

That's what I meant; is he the one who originally ran away when Jack, et al, first invaded the hatch?

What question about Juliette was answered? I missed it.

That she wasn't "left behind"; she's there for a purpose.

What prompts someone to sleep with someone else because they saw their love interest talking to someone? Madness. Course Kate is a whack job even if I find Evangeline cute.

Good question. Maybe she hoped they'd be caught, and Jack would be jealous?

Red Leader
04-19-2007, 05:20 PM
That's what I meant; is he the one who originally ran away when Jack, et al, first invaded the hatch?

Yes.

That she wasn't "left behind"; she's there for a purpose.

That was the end of last week's episode. Just FYI.

Good question. Maybe she hoped they'd be caught, and Jack would be jealous?

I think she was just salty over the fact that she knew she screwed up and Jack didn't want her now. Remember, she's got some man issues in her past.

BoxingRed
04-25-2007, 01:39 PM
Sun and Jin episode tonight.
I wouldn't expect too much from tonight's episode. Although the EW guy says something will be said in the opening scene that will spin your head around. Whatever that means.
Next week is the big one I think. Locke confronts his dad and we see what John has been up to with the Others.

Joseph
04-25-2007, 11:52 PM
What was said? I missed it.

BoxingRed
04-26-2007, 12:37 AM
What was said? I missed it.

I think the fact that Jim was the son of a prostitute was the head spinner. Not sure if I would use that kind of hyperbole, but the EW writer is incredibly enthusiastic about LOST.
Some good stuff in the episode.
Those that like the parallel universe theory get a nice tidbit.
Some insights into Juliet's motivations and feelings. Her loyalties are to no one but herself.
Nikolai makes a return appearance proving that Kate is no doctor and furthering the mythos of the island's healing powers. Anyone know what the woman said to Nikolai after the emergency operation? I am sure it wasn't "thank you, you saved me" or whatever he claimed it to be.
Sun, unwittingly, screws Jin over and sends their marriage into a tailspin. Road to heck and all that jazz.
It was better than I expected it to be.

letsgojunior
04-26-2007, 01:35 AM
I'm wondering if we're supposed to go back to the whole "they're in purgatory" theory, seeing as we now know that the wreckage was found and that there were no survivors.

Also, are we supposed to assume that Kate is pregnant now too? Juliet was mentioning that they had to run tests on her.

BoxingRed
04-26-2007, 07:50 AM
I'm wondering if we're supposed to go back to the whole "they're in purgatory" theory, seeing as we now know that the wreckage was found and that there were no survivors.

Also, are we supposed to assume that Kate is pregnant now too? Juliet was mentioning that they had to run tests on her.

Supposedly, the producers said absolutely no to purgatory. But I can see what you are saying.
I think when the Others took Kate to the beach for breakfast and Ben said, "The next few days are going to be very unpleasant," it might have implied that they were going to impregnate her. Add to it that when she was first put in the cage, she was clearly shaken and wouldn't tell Sawyer what happened.

Yachtzee
04-26-2007, 09:53 AM
I think a plausible explanation is that whatever organization the others are involved with spread false reports that flight 815 was found and there were no survivors in order to protect the location of the island. The last thing they want is rescue teams discovering their location.

HotCorner
04-26-2007, 10:37 AM

The know that she and Sawyer got it on so it could just be a pregnancy test.

Red Leader
04-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Supposedly, the producers said absolutely no to purgatory. But I can see what you are saying.
I think when the Others took Kate to the beach for breakfast and Ben said, "The next few days are going to be very unpleasant," it might have implied that they were going to impregnate her. Add to it that when she was first put in the cage, she was clearly shaken and wouldn't tell Sawyer what happened.

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that, but that very well could be the case. Maybe that's the reason no one rushed to seperate Kate and Sawyer in the cage because they wanted Kate to think she was impregnanted by Sawyer (maybe she was drugged and doesn't remember what the Others did to her, only that it was painful, and unpleasant).

I think a plausible explanation is that whatever organization the others are involved with spread false reports that flight 815 was found and there were no survivors in order to protect the location of the island. The last thing they want is rescue teams discovering their location.

That's my thinking as well. Add to that Nikolai trying to steal the satellite phone, and Ben manipulating Locke into blowing up the sub, and I think they are really trying to cut off all communication the Losties might have to the outside world.

MrCinatit
04-26-2007, 10:53 AM

Beat me to it, and I could not have said it better.

HotCorner
04-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Several "wow" moments from last night for me:

- Mikhail is alive
- Jin kicks ass in martial arts
- Flight 815 is thought to have no survivors which means there is no active search party

LoganBuck
04-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Interesting. I hadn't thought of that, but that very well could be the case. Maybe that's the reason no one rushed to seperate Kate and Sawyer in the cage because they wanted Kate to think she was impregnanted by Sawyer (maybe she was drugged and doesn't remember what the Others did to her, only that it was painful, and unpleasant).

Or the others wanted Sawyers super sperm to do the trick. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the answer that was in plain sight.

That's my thinking as well. Add to that Nikolai trying to steal the satellite phone, and Ben manipulating Locke into blowing up the sub, and I think they are really trying to cut off all communication the Losties might have to the outside world.

We have yet to know that the sub actually worked. It was always parked and Juliet came to on the sub, she doesn't know if she actually rode on it. The fuel and supplies to run a submarine, might be in short supply on the island.

BoxingRed
04-26-2007, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=Red Leader;1318937}
That's my thinking as well. Add to that Nikolai trying to steal the satellite phone, and Ben manipulating Locke into blowing up the sub, and I think they are really trying to cut off all communication the Losties might have to the outside world.[/QUOTE]

There have been some that suggested Locke never really blew up the sub, but made a deal with Henry to make everyone think he had. As eveidence, why was Locke soaking wet after getting out of the sub?
I don't know that I agree, but I too wonder why he was all wet.

letsgojunior
04-26-2007, 05:04 PM
I wonder if maybe there were two flight 815's which took off from Sydney at the same time. I'm not sure if the Others would be concerned about anyone finding the location of the island.... they did say in the season finale that the island is only visible at certain times.

marcshoe
04-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Or perhaps all that's happened has happened in a moment seperated from the real timestream, in a branch where flight 815 meets a different fate. Only fools are bound by space and time. There have been a numbr of time travel clues, from some of the books read on the island to Desmond's strange flashes of the future which seem more experience than vision.

savafan
04-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Anyone know what the woman said to Nikolai after the emergency operation?

The parachutists said "I am not alone" in Portuguese.

Interesting theory, perhaps the island is some sort of Genesis project like in Star Trek 2 & 3?

The Cowboy
04-27-2007, 07:53 PM
Things are starting to heat up on the island, cant wait to see if Locke really does get Sawyer to kill Ben or if that is even Ben anyways, BTW what happenned to Lockes dad and the "box"?

BuckeyeRed27
04-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Things are starting to heat up on the island, cant wait to see if Locke really does get Sawyer to kill Ben or if that is even Ben anyways, BTW what happenned to Lockes dad and the "box"?

I think that is what next weeks episode is about.

savafan
04-27-2007, 09:49 PM

I think it is Locke's dad that he "kidnaps" and is trying to get Sawyer to kill. But that is just my opinion...

Yachtzee
04-27-2007, 11:58 PM
BTW what happenned to Lockes dad and the "box"?

Saturday Night Live made a song about it a while back. ;)